TEW20 Historical Mods by ScotKen

Okay, so I'll use this thread to house my historical mods for TEW20.  90 % 93 are also available over on TEWDB, but why not spread the net a little. So far, I've released version 1 of my 1990 mod and the 1993 one. Please see the links below and feel free to comment and pass on feedback in your replies. I 've also now released October 1985 (Strive to Survive), which was previously found on here and elsewhere for 2016. 

Any challenges to any of the releases should be made directly to myself, it's unfair to draw anyone else in to the debate. As mentioned above, feel free to pass on any feedback in your replies below. Some of the potential issues appear to be due to the removal of touring contracts, so touring promotions don't clear out during down time and workers go to Japan on written deals. I've also not dedicated my life to this, so take the releases as they are...enough work to get them out and useable. 

September 1990 - The Coming Storm

DATA

February 1993 - From Here to Where

DATA

Pic Pack

This is rather sizeable as it covers both mods and will have a vast amount of pics not used. Built from the nGo pack and added to with my own cuts and possibly a few imports here and there. You will need to point the mods to it as the mods currently point to the 1990 or 1993 graphics folders.

PACK

February 2002 - Who Will Rise?

It's 2002, the WWF hold all the power in the US. Through 2002, various promotions would debut with intent or try to drive their current position forwards. RoH, MLW, XWF, CZW, XPW and NWA:TNA would all stake their claims to the be challenger to the WWF, with varying levels of success. Here, you have the chance to take that all on and paint your own picture. You may even place your canvas in Japan, AJPW are looking to leapfrog NJPW and NOAH have their own voyages to set off upon. In the UK, I even started promoting and gave a debut to a young wrestler called Drew Galloway...I wonder what happened to him.

DATA

Pic Pack

I think this started as the msp pack, so there's a bit of everything in there to start with and then I've added my own cuts also.

PACK

85-STS.jpg

So, why October of 1985 I hear you all ask. Well, from a personal viewpoint it's because ASW started on Screensport during October 1985. But, let's take a look at the game world in a slightly broader manner.

America:

WWF

The WWF are building towards The Wrestling Classic, with Andre battling Heenan's Family and Hogan having various challengers for his WWF belt. Fans are also getting to enjoy The Bulldogs vs The Hart Foundation.

JCP

The leading promotion of the NWA are progressing towards Starrcade. The Rock N Roll are battling the Russians, Flair has been defending around the NWA and even Harley Race is working outside of JCP. Closer to home, Ronnie Garvin has been put forward as a challenger to Flair and Tully is running through anyone he faces.

AWA

It's Pro Wrestling USA time, which is difficult to sim so I've not tried too much. The promotion have just run the first Superclash and all the member parties are friends, for now (just ban David from the dressing rooms Greg).  The card saw the likes of Giant Baba, Mil Mascaras and Kerry Von Erich make appearances. Flair made a title defence, the Freebirds defeated the Road Warriors and Gagne, Hall & Hennig defeating Bickwinkel, Stevens and Zbyszko is a torch passing moment that should assist with propelling the promotion forwards. The push is now on for Star Wars in December.

WCCW

Days away from the Cotton Bowl Extravaganza, where the Von Erichs take on Chris Adams and Gino. How will things look come Thanksgiving?

CCW

Ron Fuller is thinking big, unfortunately CBS didn't come on board. They have moved to arena TV though and have Gordon Solie on the mic. Just who is "The Bullet", the Armstrongs may well know. Plus, Jimmy Golden is easily one of the most under rated workers at this time.

CWA

Lawler has just lost to Flair at the Great American Bash in Memphis. 

Mid-South

Bill has lost his TBS slot and is months away from going national as the Universal Wrestling Federation. 

Elsewhere

Bob Geigel is not yet trying to compete with the big two, Florida is still trying to recover, Dick the Bruiser is still battling away and the ladies of America are about to get their GLOW on.

Japan:

Unfortunately, the first incarnation of the UWF has just closed and Sayama has left the business. Sadly, this also means less Japanese exposure for workers from the UK. There is still only one Joshi promotion, that doesn't change until mid-1986. AJPW appears to be pushing along, Gordy is there and Misawa is continuing the Tiger Mask name. NJPW is also just moving along, with Inoki and Brody battling fairly often.

Rest of the World:

As usual, not much is happening in Oceania with Steve Rickard running shows in New Zealand. All Star, in the UK, have found a slot on Screensport and are putting on a superior product to that of Joint Promotions. Joint, meanwhile, maintain their stranglehold on the ITV deal and Big Daddy maintains his inexplicable spot on top. In Canada, the Harts are just about to regain control of Stampede, Al Tomko is looking to make a stand and Dave McKigney and his bear are still doing their thing. Otto is king in Europe, as he takes Germany and Austria by storm. Finally, EMLL are the top promotion in Mexico with the UWA just beginning to struggle.

DATA:

Base data for this is my 2016 Strive to Survive build. I've included Asaemon's broadcasters pack from 2016, which sees the data check highlight some minor issues. 

1985 Data

Pics:

Utilising the msp pack, along with various cuts of my own and no doubt utilising some from ngo also. I just don't have the time to switch over to my 1990 and 1993 combined pack.

1985 Pics

Edited by ScotKen
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Liam said:

@ScotKen what else are you working on if you don't mind me asking?

At the moment, nothing mate. Took long enough to get 93 up to speed and then also go back to 1990. I do have my October 1985 converted, but not done much work on it for the reason mentioned above (plus I couldn't test it on the trial). So far I've been banned from GDS (again), banned from bethebooker and really hoped I'd leave all the drama behind after my heart attack in December. I just want to mod and release those mods. I do have another that I'd worked on for TEW16 and was hoping to release, can understand why that was blocked as the permission was maybe a bit flimsy. 85 wasn't though as that's been on here and HOPW for a good while, but I don't want to start any drama on here by working on it and then releasing it for TEW20. 

I don't think any of the above is a rant, merely the facts as they stand at the moment. I feel I should be able to convert and release my 1985, fully accept my mod from the 2000's is probably treading thin ice on permission.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've decided to release my 1985 mod. I had permission for it on 2016 and quite frankly don't see why I need to ask for permission to convert, work on and then release for 2020. That, to me, is a whole new level of mod blocking that I don't think anyone else has to deal with. I've tried engaging, received no response and been banned from GDS, bethebooker and various discords over this (I'd also highlight I've not had one single warning, ever). I've only ran one test year, so not actually finished yet and it turns out Adam's recent update highlights broadcaster coverage errors. They're not critical, so I don't think I'll deal with them to be fair. I was using Asaemon's 2016 broadcaster pack and really don't want to mess about importing the old broadcaster pack from an earlier release of my 2016 mod.

Strive to Survive is coming to 2020.

Oh and here's a thought...

WCW, historically mod makers have tinkered and played around with things so that Jim Crockett Promotions has a financial meltdown and WCW come in as a new promotion. Has anyone asked Adam if he'd consider adding Ownership change as a narrative in 2020? You could just rename etc of course, but that leaves Crockett in ownership. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/05/2020 at 12:37, ScotKen said:

September 1990 - The Coming Storm

DATA

Think I am going to give the 1990 one a try; going to see what I can do to save the AWA! hahaha 

1 hour ago, JMarushin said:

Think I am going to give the 1990 one a try; going to see what I can do to save the AWA! hahaha 

I'm pretty sure I closed the AWA, but it wouldn't take anyone long to add them back in. Their last TV taping was in August.

15 minutes ago, Daxt said:

Trying the 1985 mod, seems fine so far, but for some reason almost everyone has the "gloomy" attribute and I find it odd, but good work anyway 

That's due to the conversion.

Technically, mods that are converted should work fine, but the personalities mostly seem to end up being negative because of the algorithm used to determine personality traits in 20 based on what was set in the TEW 16 version.

An easy fix if it's tanking your backstage area is to go in and mass edit all personalities to Professional or just get rid of them entirely, though that does also nullify some of the better aspects of the new game.

Mod makers, when converting data, will need to go through and adjust personalities for all of the workers to bring it up to date with the new game. It's a hell of a task though, and can take some time. I'd say it probably takes me twice as long to work on my data as it did in TEW 16, but it's also more rewarding because the game world and characters feels a lot more fluid and interesting.

Yeah, I did quick sweep some of the workers in my mods and removed gloomy or mercenary here and there whilst also adding some stuff. I've just not gone through all of them, clearly. I'll eventually get round to playing the game, but playing as one promotion obviously means you miss out on others. Sadly, you can't sort the workers by an attribute in the editor. I do though have to wonder why it became broken, clearly the previous versions of the game didn't throw up whatever issues people are now seeing with regards to the backstage area. 

12 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Mod makers, when converting data, will need to go through and adjust personalities for all of the workers to bring it up to date with the new game.

They certainly could...pay me 35K a year and I most definitely will.

Just jumping in to let you all know that I've added my 2002 database to the opening post, it's been sitting done on my PC for a few weeks now and thought I'd just get it uploaded. Along with that I'd like to announce that I'm done and probably won't be updating either of my four releases. I haven't actually played the game for any great length of time and I'm basically focussing on life and real people. 

Final thing I'd like to say is rest in peace Mark and Elisar. Without Mark Rocco there would have been no young Kenny watching every week on STV. Alongside that, without Elisar I probably wouldn't have gotten to work for the FWA, ever considered promoting, launched Scottish Championship Wrestling, gotten to know people like Andy Hogg or Drew McDonald and wouldn't have subsequently been interested in games, doing any mod work for myself and then later for others.  

• Like 1