The Last Of Us II

Hellraiser

Avoided this thread like the plague...

So Royal Mail have told me to raise a call with ShopTo as it's still not arrived. ShopTo are gonna send out a new copy for me. 

I may finally get to play this soon!!!

10 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Nah Troy Baker is a pretentious loser.

Nah, Troy Baker is excellent. I too rolled my eyes at his response to Jason Schreier, but critics aren't above being criticized themselves. And that's coming from someone who absolutely loves Jason and his work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Nah, Troy Baker is excellent. I too rolled my eyes at his response to Jason Schreier, but critics aren't above being criticized themselves. And that's coming from someone who absolutely loves Jason and his work.

That's fair, but the reaction of anyone associated with this game when it comes to criticism has been kinda embarrassing - despite it being an incredible game. NG acting like they're owed perfect reviews and any criticism is unjustified.

• Like 1

Just now, MadJack said:

That's fair, but the reaction of anyone associated with this game when it comes to criticism has been kinda embarrassing - despite it being an incredible game. NG acting like they're owed perfect reviews and any criticism is unjustified.

I don't think that's fair to say, people have latched onto the weirdest things over this game.

PR firms getting in contact with outlets that review the works they represent poorly happens a lot across the board, it's not a naughty dog issue and it's not a video game issue because it happens everywhere. And yet people are latching onto that as if Neil Druckmann is craving the validation.

I think the amount of vitriol that the people who worked on this game are getting is obscene. The amount of death threats that Laura Bailey and Neil Druckmann have received over what people perceive to be a personal slight against them is super fucking gross, and I for one can't blame those that worked on it for being a little on edge and quick to react.

If you're embarrassed by the way people who are associated with TLOU2 are acting, you should check out the game's subreddit. It's vile.

• Like 4

I do think Naughty Dog have been a bit pretentious at times, and they deserve a lot of criticism for the way they treat their employees.

As far as Troy Baker's comments go, I think Jim Sterling made a good point yesterday when he said that no developers or actors ever say such things when they're being praised, but then jump on the "critics are idiots" bandwagon. That Druckmann and Baker have particularly targeted Schreier, who has been at the forefront in exposing Naughty Dog's working conditions, isn't a great look.

If you're harassing people because you don't like the inclusion of LGBT+ characters, you're both a fool and a waste of space. With that said, I'd prefer that people like Baker and Druckmann went after those kinds of people, rather than those who haven't said anything of the sort. Fix what's actually wrong with your studio and keep doing what you're doing well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 30/06/2020 at 20:24, Arjen Robben said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This was true! For anyone that missed  manual there is a second chance

• Like 1

Finished the game

Spoiler

I get the ending I guess but I really fucking hated it. Why can't games have happy endings? If Ellie settled down with her family and Abby found the big group of Fireflies it would have been perfect to me. Instead everyone has to be fucking miserable and I can't stand it

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Finished the game

Hide contents

I get the ending I guess but I really fucking hated it. Why can't games have happy endings? If Ellie settled down with her family and Abby found the big group of Fireflies it would have been perfect to me. Instead everyone has to be fucking miserable and I can't stand it

Spoiler

Misery is art and if the ending is remotely upbeat then it's not deep enough.

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Finished the game

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Judging by the new main menu background you get after you finish the story, Abby and Lev made it to Catalina Island. So she may have found the fireflies. That is at least an implied happy ending for her and Lev. 

Edited by Hellraiser

11 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Finished the game

Hide contents

Spoiler

Abby and Lev made it the fireflies on Catalina Island as confirmed by the home screen after you complete the game.

Also there's a pretty decent theory about how Ellie has already reunited with Dina and JJ in Jackson, and is only just visiting the farm to kinda say good-bye to Joel's guitar and, by extension, Joel himself. For one, Ellie's backpack is empty and she's wearing different boots in the final epilogue, suggesting she's actually stopped off somewhere and changed. She's also wearing the bracelet Dina gifted her, which she hadn't worn since the first theatre scene. Also the only things left in the farmhouse are related directly to Joel, none to Ellie, Dina or JJ. It's sort of Ellie's memorial shrine to Joel moreso than Dina not taking it with her. If it was the latter, it could be presumed that a bunch of Ellie's stuff would've been there too.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Hide contents

Abby and Lev made it the fireflies on Catalina Island as confirmed by the home screen after you complete the game.

Also there's a pretty decent theory about how Ellie has already reunited with Dina and JJ in Jackson, and is only just visiting the farm to kinda say good-bye to Joel's guitar and, by extension, Joel himself. For one, Ellie's backpack is empty and she's wearing different boots in the final epilogue, suggesting she's actually stopped off somewhere and changed. She's also wearing the bracelet Dina gifted her, which she hadn't worn since the first theatre scene. Also the only things left in the farmhouse are related directly to Joel, none to Ellie, Dina or JJ. It's sort of Ellie's memorial shrine to Joel moreso than Dina not taking it with her. If it was the latter, it could be presumed that a bunch of Ellie's stuff would've been there too.

Spoiler

The empty backpack could also simply mean that the used up all her supplies on the way back. She could have picked up a new pair of boots on the way back after her old pair broke. She could be wearing the bracelet simply because of how much she misses Dina and regrets leaving her and JJ behind to go after Abby again. And to me it looks like the stuff that was left behind is all of her personal stuff. Only the guitar is really related to Joel. I don't buy that theory. 

Edited by Hellraiser

1 minute ago, Hellraiser said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Oh agreed, it's not air-tight, but the whole boots/bracelet stuff was definitely on purpose. It's tiny details, but tiny details aren't to be hand waved.

Also, in regards to the stuff left in the farmhouse, there's none of Ellie's clothes or personal effects. There's embroidered cushions with Ellie's initial that aren't left behind. Dina wasn't writing Ellie off after she left for Santa Barbara, she took everything with her. Everything except the room with Joel's stuff.

It's purposefully left open for debate, there's no right or wrong answer and we'll never get a definitive answer of what happened. I like that. I choose to believe Ellie had a bittersweet ending, she's lost everything but there's still hope. Dina might not be able to forgive her, but I'm sure she'd like to try. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ollie said:
  Hide contents

Oh agreed, it's not air-tight, but the whole boots/bracelet stuff was definitely on purpose. It's tiny details, but tiny details aren't to be hand waved.

Also, in regards to the stuff left in the farmhouse, there's none of Ellie's clothes or personal effects. There's embroidered cushions with Ellie's initial that aren't left behind. Dina wasn't writing Ellie off after she left for Santa Barbara, she took everything with her. Everything except the room with Joel's stuff.

It's purposefully left open for debate, there's no right or wrong answer and we'll never get a definitive answer of what happened. I like that. I choose to believe Ellie had a bittersweet ending, she's lost everything but there's still hope. Dina might not be able to forgive her, but I'm sure she'd like to try. ;)

Spoiler

There are clothes on that pile of stuff as well as a bunch of stuff that is packed into boxes. The rest of Ellie's stuff is probably in those.