Summer Transfer Window 2020

Lineker

I saw some analysis - forget exactly where -  but it showed that Kepa had the lowest % save rate of any regularly starting goalkeeper in Prem history (something like 53%ish). 

EDIT: found it - 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/stats-fails-kepa-has-the-worst-save-percentage-in-premier-league-history-20200729#:~:text=Kepa Arrizabalaga Has The Worst Save Percentage In Premier League History,-Ryan Sidle in&text=Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga might,to one stat at least.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

Why?

He’s going to be a megastar, needs to think about his brand and I think going anywhere in England will hurt that because even though the premier league is the biggest in the world, it’s not flashy, it’s not sexy. PSG, Real or Barca if you want to be on that level.

If he’s going for purely footballing reasons, it’s still a bad call, Man Utd just aren’t very good and there’ll be no guarantee the team gets built around him, nor the manager would be there in two years time to finish whatever project is being touted to him.

6 hours ago, Baddar said:

Angel Gomes has signed for Lille, only to be immediately loaned to mid-table Portuguese side Boavista. What an odd move. 

If he's as good as he thinks he is, I'm sure things will work out eventually, but this seems like a mistake to me. 

this whole thing screamed to me 'dickhead agent' because he must have someone in his ear telling him hes worth more than what hes proven surely?

Edited by mattu29

1 hour ago, Tigerstyle said:

He’s going to be a megastar, needs to think about his brand and I think going anywhere in England will hurt that because even though the premier league is the biggest in the world, it’s not flashy, it’s not sexy. PSG, Real or Barca if you want to be on that level.

If he’s going for purely footballing reasons, it’s still a bad call, Man Utd just aren’t very good and there’ll be no guarantee the team gets built around him, nor the manager would be there in two years time to finish whatever project is being touted to him.

I think it's an interesting one. I don't agree with moving to PSG as a young player though obviously if Real or Barca are interested they'd be in the conversation. Dortmund are always going to play second fiddle in Germany bar significant investment (and not selling their best players to Bayern :/) so while it's a good spot for him now he was never going to stay forever.

As for Man Utd you'd have to say they're a more attractive prospect that they've been in years. Back in the Champions League, playing good football, and the chance to hopefully link up with Greenwood and Rashford? Could be good for Man U and England. There's a bit of me that thinks it's a bit of shame he's leaving Germany (love it when English players go abroad and it still doesn't happen enough), but he was always coming back eventually.

I doubt Man Utd is going to be Sancho's club in 3 or 4 years time if he keeps up with his development as a player. Eventually Bayern, Barca, or Real will come calling. And with all of them having guaranteed Champions League spots (whereas for the foreseeable future Man Utd will be battling to get in every year) plus the ability to pay whatever they need to in wages I think he'll have his true peak years at one of those clubs.

Same thing goes for Pulisic as well I feel.

I think some people are overestimating the pull Barcelona has - an ageing club with many of its top young prospects seeking greener pastures elsewhere (and largely succeeding), monetary problems on the horizon even before COVID shut everything down and a myopic board more concerned with how they look than the long health and success of the club. 

They - and the same applies even more so in some respects to Juventus, whose 40 million euro loss last year is only the tip of growing financial concerns - won't be that large a financial player going forward, because big, new contracts will have to be found the clubs biggest players, as well as Neymar.

On 04/08/2020 at 08:35, Naitch said:

Seems like an odd move. I could've seen him playing a significant role in the Championship but, at 36, I'm not sure what he has to offer to a Premier League side.

Headers at set pieces for the most part, probably.

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Edwards is doing bits in Portugal, looks like he's really got his act together. 

I think he's going to be a star for sure, he's only what, 21? 

I think I'd be pretty happy with Jamal Lewis as a backup for Robbo, but 20 million is a lot. Still think we need another centreback a lot more urgently, though.

Generous of City to offer £2 million more than Chelsea's buy-back clause rather than £40,000,001.

I would say that Arsenal should take notes, but as we all know they don't have a spare £2 million to throw around.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Generous of City to offer £2 million more than Chelsea's buy-back clause rather than £40,000,001.

I would say that Arsenal should take notes, but as we all know they don't have a spare £2 million to throw around.

Oh he went there!

I'm sure City will make that back in a lucarative new "sponsorship" agreement with a Qatar shell company. A company that's totally not owned by the UAE royal family while FFP rules can go hound lower league teams for spending too much money.

• Like 1