MLB 2020/2021 Off-Season Thread

The Buscher

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I liked when the Mets player hit the cardboard cutout the other day. I think they should award you runs for hitting specified cardboard cutouts. Like 3 runs for hitting a Marco Rubio cutout. 5 runs for Justice Samuel Alito. And so on.

Anyway Orioles-Marlins got cancelled. The dominos are falling.

The Red Sox do have some kind of contest going on involving cardboard cutouts on the Green Monster. People donated money to charity to have their cutout put up on it, and if a ball hits their cutout,  they win prizes including two tickets for seats on the Green Monster next season.

Edited by GhostMachine

8 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The Red Sox do have some kind of contest going on involving cardboard cutouts on the Green Monster. People donated money to charity to have their cutout put up on it, and if a ball hits their cutout,  they win prizes including two tickets for seats on the Green Monster next season.

Doesn’t make up for all the cheating.

Tomorrow's game in Miami is off too as the Orioles are already leaving Miami tonight and heading to Baltimore.  Whenever the Marlins get their test results, the remaining healthy players and coaches will go to Baltimore and be joined by a contingent of call-ups from the Marlins' taxi squad.  If they're able to play tomorrow, the Marlins would be the designated home team.

Today's cancelled games or any cancelled games this season are unlikely to be rescheduled as the league does not want to add double headers on top of an already tight schedule.  Without every team playing 60 games, winning percentage will be used for playoffs with the 1981 strike season being the precedent.

For now though, the league has no plans to shut everything down.  This can of course change in a heartbeat if another team suffers an outbreak (the Phillies' test results are going to be critical for that reason), or if we see Pennsylvania, New York, California etc taking it out of MLB's hands and shutting it down.

Baltimore and Maryland both have to agree on letting the healthy Marlins travel here. I assume they will (our mayor who got the job because the previous mayor was corrupt and our governor who is campaigning for President in 2024) because Maryland likes to stay out of the limelight. They'll let PA or NY make the "no visiting teams" mandate to really throw a wrench into things.

Can the league just force the Marlins to relocate their home games? I'm sure that'll help 75% of the cases the receive. I know the Blue Jays were forced to by Toronto but if they're dead set on having the league go on as schedule then they should consider just avoiding Florida in any way possible.

The Marlins using a group text to decide they're going to play that game despite having members on the team, who they've clearly been in close contact with, testing positive for COVID is beyond negligent. Holy fuck. How could that even happen?

Four more positive cases out of the Marlins' latest round of testing, bringing their total to 17 including 15 players.  At what point does the team just get completely shut down?  I know the Marlins were expected to suck anyway and they have 60-man player pools this year for a reason, but you can't seriously expect anyone to compete with literally half their roster unavailable just days into the season.

Also Yankees/Phillies postponed again so that would seem to mean we're about to get some bad news on the Phillies' test results.

Yankees have said Trump was never invited to throw out the first pitch of the Yankees/Red Sox series, despite him saying he was and then saying he had to cancel.

For once, good guy Yankees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2