What movie/TV fan base is the worst?

Benji

Star Wars definitely has a lot of angry fans. I haven't watched the new films, but it sounded to me as though a lot of people were determined to hate them. I thought the prequels were bad, but hating them to the extent that you'll send death threats to a young boy is insane.

Rick and Morty is another obvious answer, and it's been very well documented over the last few years. I don't have much to add to what's already been said there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What, you don't like being chastised for not knowing an extremely obscure character from Rebels that had his backstory revealed in a one shot comic book in 2010, who is apparently somehow integral to the main story of Rise of the Skywalker?

I'll put the Arrow/Flash/CW fanbase on there. A bunch of toxic teens that'll defend their property to the death. I probably only find it so annoying because I was definitely that at 15 too. 😂

• Like 2

As a Star Wars fan, the people who hated Star Wars sequels for "suddenly" being about social justice when the Empire has been literal Space Nazis from the start were just the worst.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick said:

Star Wars fans are unpleasable. Vince McMahon did far worse to ECW and you don't hear us bitching :shifty: . 

I maintain the second half of WWECW was fantastic and NXT as we know it today probably wouldn't exist without it laying the groundwork of being the "middle" brand between development and main roster. But that's another argument for another forum 😅

• Like 2

I know how Star Wars fans can be, but all of the ones that I know personally are perfectly fine. Rick and Morty on the other hand - mostly insufferable.

But in terms of "crap opinions" the fanbase for a dude like Joe Rogan has more real world implication than someone who really likes a cartoon. I guess that's extending it a bit - but Rogan has kind of become an entity unto himself and I'd lump podcasts in there, especially since he has such a heavy video component.

Edited by apsham
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, apsham said:

But in terms of "crap opinions" the fanbase for a dude like Joe Rogan has more real world implication than someone who really likes a cartoon.

That's a good point. There are quite a few examples of those, but I won't start a list of them and bring the discussion too far off-topic. In some cases, though, the knowledge that the fans of certain people also like a particular show or film is a warning sign that I probably won't like it.

• Like 1

Star Wars fandom has actively run multiple people from the movies off of social media to some extent, haven't they? That feels like the bottom.

5 hours ago, TKz said:

I'll put the Arrow/Flash/CW fanbase on there. A bunch of toxic teens that'll defend their property to the death. I probably only find it so annoying because I was definitely that at 15 too. 😂

for me the issue with Arrowverse fandom was the opposite; no matter where I went online, once Arrow got really bad I couldn't escape people whining about it and making the same two or three tired jokes. That's basically passed now, I have no clue what anyone in that fandom's up to or thinks about anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apsham said:

I know how Star Wars fans can be, but all of the ones that I know personally are perfectly fine. Rick and Morty on the other hand - mostly insufferable.

But in terms of "crap opinions" the fanbase for a dude like Joe Rogan has more real world implication than someone who really likes a cartoon. I guess that's extending it a bit - but Rogan has kind of become an entity unto himself and I'd lump podcasts in there, especially since he has such a heavy video component.

Rogan fans are almost universally bad. I've yet to meet one who didn't make me want to roll my eyes at some point.

• Like 2

As a guy who went to 2 movies with dudes in cosplay, as a guy with a Star Wars tattoo, as a guy who has taken women to Star Wars for dates, etc etc etc... yeah Star Wars fans are pretty awful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Most fandoms really. Everything turns into a bunch of self-entitled bros showing their 'intellect' by telling everyone how they would've written the latest film/episode/show. You're fighting over synergetic toy products. But my answer, because I've hung around with too many of them in my time, is Marvel/DC fans - as far as the films are concerned you're arguing over $250 million episodes of It's A Knockout.

I also don't get how Star Wars = "I'm a nerd" still. More people will watch the latest film than will ever watch a certain game of football, Kardashian reality TV show or episode of Coronation Street.

• Like 2

The thing is though (and you're all aware of this but it needs to appear in this thread) that this isn't "the fanbase", this is a tiny proportion of the people who like these shows/films etc who feel they're the fanbase because they vocally argue about it on social media. Millions of people watched the Last Jedi, most of whom will be blissfully unaware of the bullying of Kelly Marie Tran by a couple of hundred dateless wonders. Sadly, and I'm sure this applies to more than just Star Wars, in that case they actually listened to those fuckwits. 

• Like 1

Also, let's be honest, this is hardly a male exclusive issue. I am reminded of the girl who killed her puppy because one of the Jonas brothers didn't follow her on social media. And I have seen some absolutely stupid arguments between female shippers. In any fanbase, there are going to be a fringe who have completely lost the plot, and it's not always dudes.

Kinda synergizes with the Rick and Morty fandom, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fandom is about as toxic as the R&M fandom is.

It's a stupidly random and utterly outrageous anime where nothing makes sense, ever. It's a hashed together fever dream from a very creative, AND utterly insane creator.
The fandom meanwhile are some of the most overtly annoying people you'll come across who think they're the smartest people on the internet for 'getting' it.

Also with R&M fandom, it really ties into a big part of incel communities, a group of people that are abhorrently awful misogynists.