IPB Image

Credit KillingsVSCena for the logo

Channel: UPN

Time Slot: Prime Time

Date: August 15, 1997

Attendance: 7,031

Ticket Sales: $281,240

Announcers: Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler

Voice Over- The World Wrestling Federation, For over fifty years the revolutionary force in sports entertainment.

Friday Night Mayhem comes on the air with a video package showing great World Wrestling Federation action. When the video ends, We're taken inside the arena where pyro goes off from the rafters and from the entrance way. We then head over to our announce position where Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler are standing by. They are very excited and hype up tonight's big show.

Bret Hart Vs. Ahmed Johnson

Mayhem kicks off in a big way with a huge match up. Ahmed Johnson jumped Bret Hart as "The Hitman" made his entrance to the ring. The crowd was well into this match, But Johnson couldn't be carried to anything special by freaking Bret "The Hitman" Hart. Johnson beat the hell out of Hart early on, Getting revenge over Hart screwing him out of the WWF Championship on Monday Night Raw. Ahmed Johnson pounded Hart down and ran down Hart with his stiff clotheslines and slammed Hart all over the ring. Hart took control of the match by outsmarting the big oaf, And then starting to usual what brought him to the dance, His outstanding technical ability. Bret Hart worked over Johnson's legs, Even hitting it with a steel chair in plain view of referee Monty Davidson, Who did nothing and just let Hart hit Johnson with the chair. Davidson even encouraged Hart to take down "this piece of crap." Bret Hart had applied the Sharpshooter to Ahmed Johnson around the nine minute mark, But Johnson powered out of it and made a huge comeback, Beating the hell out of "The Hitman". Johnson ran down Hart with three clotheslines and three shoulder tackles. Ahmed Johnson took Hart out with a stiff spinebuster and called for the Pearl River Plunge. That's when Davidson lost his mind and jumped on Johnson's back, Trying to choke down Johnson! Johnson threw the little man down and got ready to Pearl River Plunge Davidson, But was hit by a chair shot from Hart! Hart threw the chair down and not only DDT'ed Johnson onto the steel chair, But also piledrove Johnson onto the chair! Hart applied the Sharpshooter to Johnson, Who was out cold, And Davidson called for the bell, Giving Hart the win!

Hart wouldn't let go of the hold, And Davidson didn't even bother to try to stop this. The fans went nuts as The Undertaker came walking down to the ring. Undertaker entered the ring and Hart quickly left the ring! Monty Davidson got up in The Undertaker's face and got choke slammed about ten feet in the air for his trouble! Undertaker helped up Ahmed Johnson and then choke slammed Johnson, Getting revenge from Monday night! Undertaker left the ring as Hart started walking up the ramp way!

78, 84, 67 *1\2

One Angry Hitman

Undertaker walked after Hart as our cameras followed the phenom. Undertaker went backstage but could not find Hart. Then out of nowhere, He got hit by a chair shot right to the back! Undertaker fell down and Hart stood over The Undertaker! Bret Hart grabbed the chair and hit Undertaker with about ten shots to the back, One right after the other! Bret Hart followed up by hitting Undertaker with shots to the legs! Hart wrapped the steel chair around Undertaker's ankle, But the referees came to the scene and pulled Hart away from the WWF Champion! Bret Hart stood over Undertaker and started taunting Undertaker! Undertaker grabbed Hart by the throat, But Hart kicked Undertaker in the face! Hart then grabbed the steel chair and laid out Undertaker with another shot! Hart had to be held back as we went to a commercial break with Jim Ross calling Bret Hart the most psychotic human being he has ever met.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Scott Hall and Sean Waltman Vs. British Bulldog and Mr. Yokozuna with Simon Diamond

The Las Vegas, Nevada crowd was hot again tonight. Even more so for this match than for the opening bout. Scott Hall and Sean Waltman took the fight to the members of the administration early on, But thanks to Diamond interfering behind the referee's back, The administration took control of the match. Jim Ross said he got a big announcement from the back, That another match has been added to the SummerSlam card. It'll be Ahmed Johnson teaming up with D'Lo Brown and Ken Shamrock to face British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond in six men action! The administration worked over and isolated Sean Waltman for awhile, With Bulldog tossing Waltman around the ring while Mr. Yokozuna wore down Waltman with rest holds. Mr. Yokozuna almost killed poor Waltman with a belly to belly suplex. The crowd chanted for Waltman as he started fighting back. Waltman took down both Bulldog and Mr. Yokozuna with a double DDT and tagged in Hall! Hall entered the ring and the crowd exploded! Hall started to clean house, Knocking down Mr. Yokozuna with a clothesline and laying out Bulldog with right hands. Simon Diamond was getting ready to interfere, But D'Lo Brown and Ken Shamrock came down ringside and pulled Diamond off the apron and beat the hell out of Diamond! Bulldog went out to try to help Diamond, And Waltman came off the top with a moonsault to all four men on the outside! Inside the ring, Scott Hall pinned Mr. Yokozuna with a second turnbuckle bulldog.

Scott Hall and Sean Waltman stayed in the ring and celebrated their win while Mr. Yokozuna, British Bulldog, Simon Diamond, D'Lo Brown and Ken Shamrock all brawled all the way backstage.

82, 86, 74 **1/4

Oh No!

We go to the parking lot where we see Paul Bearer. We then see Jacobs beating down someone, Brian Lee! Lee is bleeding and looks to be out of it! Jacobs is putting the hurting on Lee! Jacobs grabs Lee and rams Lee head first into a hearse! What's the hearse doing out there? Jacobs opens up the back of the hearse and loads Lee up inside! Jacobs closes the doors and looks on at Bearer.

Paul Bearer- Lets go! We're taking him to the cemetery! Oh yes, We will! Brian Lee is going for a little ride! Oh yes, He will!

Bearer and Jacobs get into the hearse and drive off as Friday Night Mayhem goes to a commercial break.

Paul Bearer debuted his new gimmick, (Evil) it got a positive response.

Paul Bearer lost overness from this segment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Sending Out Their Message

We go backstage where we see Envy walking. It looks like they're getting ready to make their way to the ring. All three men are wearing their expensive suits and sunglasses. They're fun stops when Al Snow shows up! Al Snow pops Perfect right in the mouth! Maivia and Martel both get nailed as well! Snow then runs off, Yelling "you can't catch me." Martel checks on Perfect and tells Maivia to go after Snow, Since Nash isn't here tonight! Maivia starts running after Snow! Maivia thinks he's found Snow and enters a dressing room. Maivia's eyes turn wide as he sees Kevin Nash in the locker room with a steel chair! Maivia slowly backs away and tries to open the door, But it's locked! Maivia then charges at Nash and takes a chair shot to the head! Meanwhile, Martel and Perfect are both armed with steel chairs, Planning their revenge on Snow. They head into the parking lot where they think Snow might be. By the way both men talk, They still don't know Nash is here, And think everything is fine with Maivia. Both men see a limo in the parking lot and they think Snow might be in it. Perfect and Martel each get on one side and open the doors, Martel gets hit! Perfect gets hit! Al Snow exits the limo via the sun roof with a pipe in hand! Perfect takes a shot to the gut as does Martel! The driver's side opens up and out steps Kevin Nash! Nash grabs Martel and rams Martel's head onto the door! Snow chokes down Perfect with the pipe as Nash puts Martel on top of the limo. Nash gets up on top with Martel and Jackknifes Martel onto the hood of the limo! Martel might be dead! Officials finally come down to the scene and hold back Al Snow and Kevin Nash. They open up the passenger's door and we see a bloodied Rocky Maivia fall out! We go to a commercial break with Martel, Perfect and Maivia being checked on.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Chavo Guerrero, Ron Killings and Taka Michinoku Vs. Craig Finney, Hakushi and Johnny Swinger

Great six men tag team match up here, But the crowd was pretty quiet for it. After the last two segments, The crowd were just drained out. It was announced that Hakushi would defend the WWF Light Heavyweight against Craig Finney, Chavo Guerrero and Ron Killings in a four corners match at SummerSlam. Killings and Guerrero went after both Finney and Hakushi here, Even though Finney kept avoiding getting tagged into the match up. All six men busted out some impressive high risk maneuvers, That saw at one point, The whole face team come off the ropes with dives to all the heels. Taka Michinoku and Hakushi were the legal men in the ring. Hakushi took Taka down with a snap DDT, But before he could finish off Taka, Finney entered the ring with his skateboard and hit Hakushi right over the head with it! Finney left the ring, Leaving Swinger to get beat down on the outside by Killings and Guerrero while Taka finished off Hakushi with the Michinoku Driver.

Afterwards, Taka grabbed the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship and posed with it, Not getting any positive looks from Guerrero or Killings. Finney watched from the stage, Hugging his skateboard.

66, 50, 82 **1/4

This match suffered because the crowd were still pumped up from the last one, and so this bout was seen as something of a let-down to them.

Benoit Wants Him Some

We go to the locker room of Helmsleydust where we see Marlena and Goldust talking. Helmsley just sits on the couch looking bored.

Goldust- I am going to kill Chris Benoit! What was he thinking? He knows you're a married woman! Why'd he kiss you like that? When I find that son of a b***, I going to kill him! You don't mess with another man's wife!

Marlena- Look, He's just trying to mess with you as SummerSlam nears. He wants to take your head off of the tag titles. He's just playing mind games. Tell him, Hunter.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley- What?

Marlena- Tell him that Benoit is just trying to get into his head.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley- Yeah, Right. He is. Besides, Benoit is a chump. He knows nothing about women. Take it from me, Goldy, She won't put out for Benoit. If it was someone else, Maybe. But not Benoit.

Goldust- Well, I want Benoit in the ring before SummerSlam! I want a piece of that little bastard!

The door opens up and Goldust almost pounces at Benoit and Pillman who enter the dressing room, But he's held back by Helmsley. Benoit is smiling and he also has some flowers with him.

Marlena- What do you want?

Chris Benoit- Hey, I just wanted to give you these. Benoit hands the floors over to Marlena And hey, About Monday night, Maybe I got caught up in the heat of the moment, But you know damn well there was some chemistry between us. What you have with this freak is nothing compared to what you can have with me.

Marlena- Get out!

Chris Benoit- Hey, Hey, No need to be rude. I know you're probably inexperienced. But this man right here has been with alot of women. I can teach you things you have never heard of before. Marlena, I can take your innocence away from you at the drop of a hat. Marlena, You know, I been told by alot of ladies that I got the labido of a fifteen year old.

Goldust- I will kill you!

Brian Pillman- Hold your boy back! Chris, Lets go. I don't think she's interested right now. Though, I think Goldust might be.

Chris Benoit- Marlena, When you want to be with a real man, Give me a call. And I don't mind the whole marriage thing.

Benoit blows a kiss to Marlena and smiles. He and Pillman leave the dressing room. Marlena tries to call down Goldust while Helmsley sits down and continues reading.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Suicide Blonds Vs. Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit

This was another classic battle between these two teams. Jim Ross was disgusted over the comments Chris Benoit made, But Lawler was loving every minute of it. Benoit and Pillman tore apart the young Blonds in the beginning, But the Crippler kept taunting the women in the audience by shaking his hips at them, With Lawler saying that was for Marlena. Goldust watched from the back, Getting ready to pounce the TV. Benoit and Pillman isolated Christian Cage and gave him a nasty beating. Pillman and Benoit double teamed Cage, Using a double suplex and a big time double DDT to Cage, But Cage somehow kept fighting back. The champs also used plenty of submission holds on Cage, With Lawler saying there was no way Helmsleydust could out wrestle these two at SummerSlam. Christian Cage made the hot tag to Copeland, Who was a Canadian on fire. Benoit and Pillman both got knocked down by spinning heel kicks from Copeland. The Suicide Blonds got the fans behind them, As they used several quick double team maneuvers on the champions. Copeland tossed Pillman out to the floor and then catapulted Cage over the ropes onto Pillman! Benoit fought Copeland in the ring and got Copeland into the Crippler Crossface. However, Benoit broke the hold when he saw Marlena on top of the stage. Benoit taunted Marlena, Shaking his hips at her and blowing her kisses. He turned around and Copeland planted him with the Animalize for the win!

The Suicide Blonds celebrated their non title victory while Marlena left with a smile on her face. Benoit and Pillman left the ring, With Benoit looking pissed off.

83, 76, 90 ***3/4

Brian Pillman lost overness from this match.

Christian Cage gained overness from this match.

Adam Copeland gained overness from this match.

Getting Ready

"Eye of the tiger" begins to play and we're getting another video package hyping Kanyon's return to the ring. We see Kanyon training inside a ring, Doing simple things, Running off the ropes, Leap frogging over a wrestler, And doing a few basic moves. Hollywood cheers him on as Kanyon runs down two men with a double clothesline and then does a bronco buster to another man in the corner. The video finishes with Kanyon now destroying five "wrestlers", Finishing one off with the Outsider's Edge. We then we see Hollywood Holly, Laughing and posing, Flexing his arms.

Hollywood Holly- Kanyon, Hell of a workout. But I think you might have hurt those fools. You're in great shape! You are ready for SummerSlam! Scott Hall and Sean Waltman are going straight to hell! They think they're so damn cool, What's going to happen when they step into the ring with us? Kanyon, It's nine days away! Are you ready? SummerSlam '97! Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, Whatcha gonna do when you have to step into the ring with the two of us? You two are probably scared, Aren't you? You've seen what kind of shape I'm getting Kanyon in. He's a monster! And at SummerSlam, He's going to eat you two up!

Chris Kanyon- Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, You two unleashed a monster. Plain and simple. I feel as if I was never hurt. But I was. I am ready for SummerSlam. I am ready for my big return to the ring. SummerSlam '97 will mark the biggest moment in World Wrestling Federation history. It will mark the moment where Chris Kanyon returns to the ring after a long absence. Scott Hall, Chico, You have had a long career in the WWF. WWF Champion, WWF Intercontinental Champion, You've done it all. Sean Waltman, Former tag team champion, But you two will be a name on my list. At SummerSlam, I will destroy you two alongside Hollywood Holly. Fellas, Get ready, I'm running down the two of you. I hope you two know what's in store for you.

Hollywood Holly- Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, Say your prayers, Eat your vitamins, Because you're gonna need it come SummerSlam.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

He's coming in 10 days

WWF Slam Of The Week- Jerry Lawler takes his Curtain Call at the hands of Goldust. (Monday Night Raw)

Cactus Jack Vs. Shawn Michaels

Shawn Michaels and Cactus Jack again steal the show. This one was right up there with their Wrestlemania and their In Your House "Unfinished Business" matches. Both men started this one right where they left off three months ago, By trading blows and brawling all over the place. Cactus Jack might have wished he hadn't messed with Michaels' head so much, As Michaels was as violent as ever. Michaels rammed Jack's head onto the steel post twice, Once, Ramming Jack's head backwards onto the steel post. Alot of weapons were involved, Trash cans, Steel steps, Steel chairs, And even the announce table. Shawn Michaels drilled Jack with a shot to the head and came off the apron with a splash to Jack through the announce table. Michaels' advantage didn't last long as Jack was able to hotshot HBK onto the steel steps. Jack clotheslined Michaels out into the crowd, With the back of Michaels' head hitting the floor. Cactus Jack and Shawn Michaels fought all the way onto the steel stage where Jack connected with a neck breaker to Michaels on the steel! Jack shoved Michaels off the stage and followed up with a brutal elbow off the top of the stage to the floor below! Jack worked over Michaels inside the ring, Using chokes, Stomps and even biting HBK. Jack almost won the match twice, Once with a DDT and the second time with a piledriver. Shawn Michaels made the comeback, Hitting his usual maneuvers on Jack. Michaels went for the flying forearm, But Jack ducked and referee Jack Doan got taken out. Michaels slammed Jack down and went up top. Michaels came off the top with the flying elbow to Jack and started to tune up the band. Jack stood up and avoided Sweet Chin Music! Jack applied the Mandible Claw on Michaels, And Michaels started to fade. Michaels fell down to both knees, But then nailed Jack with a low blow, Causing Jack to break the hold. Michaels hit Jack with Sweet Chin Music and covered Jack, But there was no one to make the count. Michaels went to check on Jack Doan, And Steve Austin came running down to the ring! Austin nailed Michaels from behind and followed up with the Stone Cold Stunner! Austin left the ring while Jack covered Michaels. Doan came too and counted the one, two, three to give Jack the win.

Cactus Jack slowly stood up and posed over Michaels' body. Friday Night Mayhem went to a commercial break with Jack celebrating while the announcers wondered what Michaels would do to get revenge on "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

92, 91, 93 ****1\4

Oh No! Part II

We see the hearse pulling up to a cemetery. Bearer and Jacobs step out of the hearse. Jacobs opens up the back of the hearse and pulls out Lee's lifeless body. Jacobs puts Lee over his shoulder and he and Bearer begin walking towards a open grave. There's a elderly man there.

Paul Bearer- Hello, Crandall. Long time no see.

Crandall- Mr. Bearer, It's been quite a few years. I believe the last time I saw you was back in '75. It's good to see you. Who's this man with you?

Paul Bearer- That's Jacobs. He's my new phenom.

Crandall- The fellow he has with him?

Paul Bearer- Brian Lee. He's going to be turned over tonight. Crandall, We're going to need to bury him so he can come back even better. Oh yes, He will. It's time, Jacobs, Lets go.

Crandall- But sir, That's the........

Paul Bearer- I know. And I need to turn him over. Crandall, Brian Lee will be turned into something he can't even imagine. All I need is a few days.

Crandall- Sir, I can't let you do that. He'll be psychotic! He'll be a monster!

Paul Bearer- That's the point. I need an army to fight off The Undertaker. And he's one of them.

Crandall- I can't let you do that. This man can't return like that. He's not even dead. What you want to do is plain evil.

Paul Bearer- Jacobs, You know what to do.

Jacobs, With Lee still over his shoulder, Decks Crandall! Jacobs and Bearer start walking. Jacobs dumps Lee onto the open grave and starts digging. After they fill up the grave, Bearer and Jacobs stand by.

Paul Bearer- Jacobs, He'll be ready in about a month. Oh yes, He will. Undertaker, I hope you know what you have gotten yourself into.

Friday Night Mayhem goes off the air with a shot of the grave where Lee has been buried.

Overall Rating- 77

TV Rating- 6.46

Notes

"I think i should be higher up the card." -Taka Michinoku

This Benoit thing is just... uncomfortable. How can you take something as pure and innocent as the wrestling machine Chris Benoit and turn him into..

Heartbreak Benoit?

(Latino) Canadian Heat Benoit?

It's just wrong. Mind I could hear him in the words you chose.

IPB Image

Credit Kempay for the logo

Channel: USA Network

Time Slot: Late Evening

Date: August 16, 1997

Attendance: 6,537

Ticket Sales: $261,480

Announcers: Jonathan Coachman and Todd Pettengill

Voice Over- The World Wrestling Federation, For over fifty years the revolutionary force in sports entertainment.

RAW Saturday Night comes on the air with a video package showing great World Wrestling Federation action. When the video ends, We're taken to inside the arena where pyro goes off from the rafters and from the entrance way. We then head over to our announce position where Jonathan Coachman and Todd Pettengill are standing by. They are very excited and hype up tonight's big show.

Luigi Alfredo Rufino Vs. James Meteorite Hall

Dead crowd here for what was a pretty bad match. Rufino isn't much in the ring and JMH is still a rookie who's not very experienced. JMH barely got any offense in, And Rufino pretty much dominated the entire match up. Rufino kept taking time off to taunt the crowd, But it didn't help, As no one was interested in this match up. Rufino finished off JMH with the Trip To New Jersey to remain undefeated. The announcers said Rufino's streak was at 55-0.

43, 32, 55 -*

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Devon Storm Vs. Nasty Mike

Excellent match up here, But it was hurt due to the lack of crowd reaction. Both Devon Storm and Nasty Mike seem destined for greatness in the light heavyweight division, And it's only a matter of time before either men get a chance to show off their skills on the main shows. Mike had the advantage here after cheating his ass off, But he kept taking time off to taunt the crowd. Devon Storm pulled off the upset with a huge DDT off the top turnbuckle.

68, 46, 91 ***

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Kama Mustafa Vs. Craig Pittman

NWACI's former World Champion had the task of trying to fight the supreme fighting machine, But ended up getting his ass kicked. Kama dominated Pittman and ran over Pittman. Kama used a few arm bars and back breaker submission holds on Pittman, But Pittman somehow fought back. Kama connected with three overhead suplexes and finished off Pittman with the supreme driver. Kama Mustafa then tossed Pittman out to the floor and rammed Pittman into the steel steps.

56, 51, 61 1\2*

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Al Snow Vs. Alex Wright

Hot crowd for this match up. It was a non title match up though. Al Snow and Alex Wright had a great technical bout, With both men trying to get their finishers on the other. Alex Wright took control of the match after dumping Snow out to the floor and ramming him onto the steel post. Alex Wright came close to putting away Al Snow several times, But Snow fought off Wright. In the end, Al Snow picked up the victory by making Wright tap out to the million dollar dream.

82, 83, 81 ***

COMMERCIAL BREAK

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin Vs. Kip Parker W/Sable

This is a rematch from Monday night which had the crowd hot. Austin jumped Parker from behind and dominated the beginning of the match. Shawn Michaels watched from the back, And the announcers wondered if Michaels was going to interfere. Kip Parker made the comeback around the six minute mark, Taking Austin out with a drop kick. The match ended up on the outside where Parker rammed Austin into the steel steps and slammed Austin on the mats. Parker ended up trying to clothesline Austin, But Austin hot shotted Parker onto the steel post, Knocking out Parker! Austin entered the ring and won the match by count out. Well, Atleast it keeps Parker strong.

81, 84, 76 **1\2

COMMERCIAL BREAK

He's coming in 9 days

WWF Slam Of The Week- Adam Copeland plants Benoit with the Animalize. (Friday Night Mayhem 8/15/97)

Kevin Nash Vs. Billy Gunn

Bad match up here, But the crowd was well into it. Poor Billy Gunn, Kevin Nash ran right over him. The genetic wonder dominated the entire match with Gunn getting no offense in on the former WWF Champion. Kevin Nash beat down Gunn in the corner and almost put Gunn away early with a sidewalk slam followed up by a elbow drop, But he wouldn't cover Gunn. No, Instead, Nash drilled Gunn with a big boot and then planted Gunn with the Jackknife Powerbomb. Nash covered Gunn with his feet on the chest of Gunn for the win. Afterwards, Nash laid out Gunn with two more Jackknife Powerbombs. RAW Saturday Night went off the air with Nash celebrating.

78, 83, 67 *1\2

Overall Rating- 59

TV Rating- 2.90

Competition

Hardcore TV

TV Rating- 2.93

Attendance- 3,501

Ticket Sales- $105,030

Worldwide

TV Rating- 3.96

Attendance- 6,046

Ticket Sales- $241,840

ECW The Price Of Nobility

Date- August 17, 1997

Pay Per View Buyrate- 0.79

Attendance- 9,026

Ticket Sales- $361,040

Pay Per View Revenue- $1,975,000

ABWF Super Sunday Showdown

Attendance- 39

Ticket Sales- $390

USPW Rage In The Cage

Attendance- 3,569

Ticket Sales- $142,760

VZF Welcome To My Nightmare

Attendance- 384

Ticket Sales- $7,680

Notes

"James Meteorite Hall and Luigi Alfredo Rufino didn't 'click' in their match, maybe due to their mismatched skills causing their styles not to gel?" -Pat Patterson

"I think i should be higher up the card." -Luigi Alfredo Rufino

"Devon Storm and Nasty Mike have a fantastic chemistry in the ring, it adds a lot to the match." - Pat Patterson

"I think i should be higher up the card." -Nasty Mike

"Steve Austin and Kip Parker didn't 'click' in their match, maybe due to their mismatched skills causing their styles not to gel?" -Steve Austin

"Our ratings battle with Hardcore TV is so close that neither show is gaining a clear advantage!" -Sophie

"Here is my weekly report on our battle with WCW. We have superior star power on our roster, which is hurting their image. We are seen as having better workers, and this is causing fans to choose us over them. The fans see us as being the more professional promotion, thanks to our higher production values." -Sophie

News

- Ivory has agreed to an open contract with VZF!

- Vic Grimes has agreed to an open contract with VZF!

IPB Image

Date: August 18, 1997

Monday Night Raw comes to you live six days before the 1997 SummerSlam. And we have got one heck of a main event scheduled for tonight's show. We know that at SummerSlam, It'll be The Undertaker defending the WWF Championship against Bret "The Hitman" Hart in a casket match. And we know that Shawn Michaels will battle Steve Austin in what should be a classic match. Well, Tonight, All four of those men will be involved in tonight's main event. We'll see Bret Hart and Steve Austin join forces to take on Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker. What will happen when these four men get into it before SummerSlam? Both Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker are looking for revenge after what happened to them on Friday night. First, Bret Hart attacked The Undertaker backstage. And then, Steve Austin cost Shawn Michaels his match against Cactus Jack. Will Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker, The ultimate dream team, Get their revenge? This should be a classic encounter just six days before SummerSlam. This is a main event that only the WWF can give to you!

Marty Jannetty heads into this Sunday's SummerSlam with the chance to walk away with two titles. Marty Jannetty has the chance to not only walk away with his WWF Intercontinental Championship, But to walk away with Alex Wright's WWF European Championship as well. But tonight, Marty Jannetty has to defend his WWF Intercontinental Championship against Kama Mustafa. The supreme fighting machine has been unbeatable in recent weeks, Will he walk away with Jannetty's WWF Intercontinental Championship tonight? Or will Marty Jannetty continue his amazing reign?

We'll see eight men tag team action. It'll be Chavo Guerrero, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Ron Killings and Goldust taking on Craig Finney, Brian Pillman, Chris Benoit and Hakushi. Helmsleydust has been locked into a bitter rivalry with the WWF Tag Team Champions, Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit ever since Benoit came onto Marlena last week. What will happen when these men are in the ring before SummerSlam? Also, The light heavyweights have also been fighting over the coveted WWF Light Heavyweight Championship. What will happen when they go at it tonight?

Al Snow will team up with Kevin Nash this Sunday night to face Mr. Perfect, Rick Martel and Rocky Maivia in a handicap match. But tonight, We'll see what should be a classic encounter. It'll be Al Snow taking on Rick Martel in singles action. These men have faced each other in some truly classic battles. Which man will walk away tonight with the victory? Will Al Snow be able to beat Rick Martel? Or will Rick Martel somehow walk away with the victory? This is a match you cannot miss!

Cactus Jack is walking into SummerSlam to face Vader in a hardcore match. We will be hearing from Cactus Jack tonight. Last week, Cactus Jack laid out Vader. What does Cactus Jack have to say tonight? Also, Paul Bearer and Jacobs are scheduled for tonight. What will they say after they buried Brian Lee alive on Friday night?

This episode of Monday Night Raw promises to be a huge one just six days before SummerSlam. Make sure you do not miss Monday Night Raw tonight on the USA Network!

IPB Image

Date: August 18, 1997

Attendance: 7,005

Ticket Sales: $280,200

Announcers: Dok Hendrix and Vince McMahon

Monday Night Raw comes on the air with a video package showing great World Wrestling Federation action. When the video ends, We're taken inside the arena where pyro goes off from the rafters and from the entrance way. We then head over to our announce position where Dok Hendrix and Vince McMahon are standing by. They are very excited and hype up tonight's big show.

Scott Hall and Sean Waltman Vs. Memphis Royalty

This opening match had the crowd on their feet. Memphis Royalty is the team of Jerry "The King" Lawler and "Too Sexy" Brian Christopher. It looks like Lawler will be stepping back into the ring as the WWF tries to add some heel teams to the tag team division. Lawler and Christopher started off getting their butts handed to them, But thanks to their cheating ways, They were able to isolate Sean Waltman. Sean Waltman didn't take a beating for very long, As he caught Lawler with a DDT and then nailed Christopher with a super kick right to the chops! Waltman tagged in Hall, Who was a house on fire! The former WWF Champion entered the ring and cleaned house! Lawler and Christopher both went down to hard right hands from the bad guy. Scott Hall and Sean Waltman showed team work, As they first double suplexed Lawler and then dumped him out to the floor. What they followed up with was simply amazing, Hall grabbed Waltman into a fallaway slam, But tossed Waltman out to the floor, Onto Lawler! Scott Hall finished off Christopher with a top turnbuckle back suplex and then the Outsider's Edge.

Lawler helped Christopher backstage while Scott Hall and Sean Waltman celebrated their win. The fans booed as Chris Kanyon was shown on top of the stage. Kanyon started walking towards the ring, As if he was actually going to fight off both Hall and Waltman! Kanyon entered the ring and started to trash talk both men. Kanyon then realized he was in trouble and started to back off, Only for Hall to grab him by the throat. The fans cheered as it looked like Kanyon was going to get an early SummerSlam preview, But out of nowhere, Hollywood Holly entered the ring with a steel chair, Hitting Hall over the back and then Waltman with a shot to the head! Hollywood dropped the steel chair and lifted Waltman up. Hollywood was about to Hollywood Slam Waltman onto the chair, But Kanyon stopped him. Kanyon then grabbed Waltman and planted Waltman with the Outsider's Edge! Kanyon then grabbed Hall and send him right into Hollywood's slam! The fans booed as Chris Kanyon and Hollywood Holly stood over the fallen bodies of Scott Hall and Sean Waltman. Monday Night Raw went to a commercial break with the announcers wondering who would survive SummerSlam.

78, 81, 74 **1/4

Chris Kanyon debuted his new gimmick. (Cowardly)

Interview with Bret Hart and Steve Austin

We go backstage where we see Marissa Mazzola standing by with Bret "The Hitman" Hart and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Marissa Mazzola- Dok, Vince, I am standing by with the men who will wrestle in tonight's main event. I am standing by with Bret "The Hitman" Hart and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. And guys, SummerSlam will be a huge night for both of you. Bret, You walk into SummerSlam to challenge The Undertaker for the World Wrestling Federation Championship in the casket match. And "Stone Cold", You will go one on one with Shawn Michaels. And tonight, We'll get a SummerSlam preview as you two team up to battle your SummerSlam opponents. Your thoughts?

Bret Hart- You know, As much as I am looking forward to stepping into the ring this Sunday night and taking back what's mine, The WWF Championship, I'm looking even more forward to getting my hands on The Undertaker tonight. Undertaker, You got a preview of what's to come last Friday night. And tonight, I hope we're in that ring together. I'm going to teach you a lesson in not only wrestling, But in fighting as well. You see, You put us in a casket match because you knew I would out wrestle you at SummerSlam and take away your WWF Championship. So you're going to try to out fight me. Undertaker, I am one hell of a wrestler, But I am also one hell of a fighter. And at SummerSlam, In your own match, I will defeat you and walk away as the World Wrestling Federation Champion for a fourth time in my storied career. Undertaker, Enjoy your days left as the World Wrestling Federation Champion. This Sunday night, Live on Pay Per View, It's coming back around my waist. You will find out why they call me the excellence of execution tonight. And after tonight, You will know you stand no chance this Sunday night. And Shawn Michaels, I know you got Austin on Sunday night, And I will be watching that match to see "Stone Cold" show you a wrestling lesson. But tonight, Get in my face, And I'll show you why I am the best there is, The best there was, And the best that there ever will be.......... Once again.

Steve Austin- Shawn Michaels, Boy, Are you looking forward to SummerSlam? I am. I am waiting. I am waiting for the days, The hours, The minutes, The seconds until I get you inside the ring all by myself. Yeah, Tonight, There's the big tag team match up. But that's just the beginning. It will be your small preview of what's to come this Sunday night at SummerSlam. Tonight, I will show you what you're up against. And come SummerSlam, Shawn Michaels, I hope you're ready for the five star wrestling lesson "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is going to dish out on you. Shawn Michaels, I told you from the start that I am the better wrestler. And Sunday night will be the night where I prove it to everyone of these little bastards you like to call the Kliq. I hope the Kliq is ready to see you get your little ass handed to you. Shawn Michaels, There is no beating me. I hope you try your hardest. I've seen you beat everyone in this company. Except for one man. And that man is me. They call me "Stone Cold" for a reason. That's because I am the sickest bastard in this company. Did you see what I did to my own best friend? That was all about greed. Sunday will be about me proving to everyone that I am the best wrestler in this company. And HBK, Your heart will be broken after I'm done with you. And Undertaker, I know Bret wants some of ya, But get in my face, And you big dead bastard, I will kick you straight to hell!

Marissa Mazzola- These two men are ready. Will they come out victorious tonight?

Nash Makes Sure There's No Interference

Our cameras cut to the locker room where it seems a wild brawl has broken out! It's Nash fighting off both Mr. Perfect and Rocky Maivia! Nash is nailing Maivia with right hands! Perfect gets nailed as well! The officials are trying to hold them back, But Nash shoves them apart and continues pummeling on Perfect! Maivia nails Nash! Maivia holds Nash back and Perfect punches Nash! Perfect connects with more right hands to Nash! Nash goes low on Maivia with a mule kick! Perfect gets decked! Finally, More officials come to the scene! They're saying that Nash, Maivia and Perfect are all thrown out of the building! Nash is laughing, But Maivia and Perfect are not happy! We go to a commercial break with the announcers saying Snow versus Martel will be without any interference tonight! What a plan by the genetic wonder!

Mr. Perfect debuted his new gimmick. (Arrogant)

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Al Snow Vs. Rick Martel

Rick Martel was not happy here. Not only was his help gone, But now he'd have to face Al Snow with a huge disadvantage after getting beat down by Nash on Friday night. The crowd was very well into this match up. Looks like the WWF's finally going ahead with the Al Snow main event push. McMahon called this one a dream match, And talked about both of these men could be future World Wrestling Federation Champions. Which in Martel's case could be true as Martel has over a year on his deal left, And with the way he's been working out for the WWF ever since coming back, It could be that the WWF would want to reward Martel. Martel started off begging Snow for mercy, But somehow took control of the match. Martel cheated his way through the match, But Al Snow kept fighting back. Martel even had Snow in the Quebec Crab, But Al Snow somehow made it to the ropes. Al Snow made the big comeback and connected with about six different types of suplexes to Martel. Al Snow connected with a overhead belly to belly suplex to Martel and once Martel got up, Snow planted him with the Snow Plow for the big win.

Al Snow celebrated his win while Martel headed to the back, A defeated man. Martel vowed revenge this Sunday night at SummerSlam.

83, 87, 74 **1\2

Men Against The Administration

We go backstage where we see Marissa Mazzola standing by with D'Lo Brown, Ken Shamrock and Ahmed Johnson.

Marissa Mazzola- Guys, You heard the news this past weekend. At SummerSlam, It'll be the three of you against administration members British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond in six men tag team action. You three have been a thorn in the side of the administration ever since that group came together. And this Sunday night you three get to send a message out to the administration. Your thoughts?

D'Lo Brown- Yeah, That's right. We have been a thorn on the side of the administration and of the Commissioner, Rick Rude. Rick Rude, You tried to screw us over one too many times. And now, You're going to have to deal with us this Sunday night. You think your boys will be able to defeat the three of us at SummerSlam? We're coming to SummerSlam to put an end to the administration. And after we defeat your three clowns, You will see that we're the force in the WWF. We represent the people. And we'll be representing the people this Sunday night at SummerSlam when we defeat your three boys. Davey Boy, Yokozuna, Simon Diamond, We're coming to SummerSlam to kick all of your asses! You betta recognize that!

Ken Shamrock- Rick Rude, You and your administration have started a war you cannot win. D'Lo Brown and myself went to Ahmed Johnson for help after this past Friday night. And he also has some bones he'd like to pick with you guys. But Sunday night, I hope you tell your boys to stay out of my way. Because, Any member of the administration that enters the ring and has to go up against me will get taken apart in a matter of seconds.

Ahmed Johnson- You know, I should be the WWF Champion. I had that title won right here last Monday night. I had The Undertaker defeated in the middle of the ring. I had Undertaker down until a member of the administration, Bret Hart came down to the ring and got me disqualified. So yeah, I got a problem with the administration. Rick Rude fired my ass back in April. And Rick Rude, You think you're going to take out three birds with one stone this Sunday night? This team is ready for your administration. All three of your fools are deadman walking! And Rick Rude, I know the very idea sickens you, But after SummerSlam is over with, I'm coming for what's rightfully mine, The World Wrestling Federation Championship!

Marissa Mazzola- Vince, Dok, These men are ready for SummerSlam and the six men tag team match up. Will they come out on top Sunday night? This is a huge match, And a big reason to order SummerSlam.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Chavo Guerrero, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Ron Killings and Goldust W/Marlena Vs. Craig Finney, Brian Pillman, Chris Benoit and Hakushi

All eight men got into it in a big brawl to start this one off. Chris Benoit kept posing and shaking his hips at Marlena through out the match up, With McMahon saying Benoit was playing mind games while Dok said Marlena liked it deep down. The light heavyweights wrestled most of the match, Mixing it up with the members of Sunday's tag team battle. Ron Killings ended up being the one isolated by the heels here. Finney and Hakushi couldn't get along with one another, And ended up fighting each other, Resulting in Killings being able to make the hot tag to Helmsley. The light heavyweights all ended up on the floor after Killings did a rope flip to Chavo, Hakushi and Finney on the outside. Killings battled with Hakushi while Finney and Chavo fought. Inside the ring, Pillman clotheslined himself and Goldust to the outside. Helmsley and Benoit were left in the ring. Benoit ended up trying to apply the Crippler Crossface to Helmsley, But Helmsley countered and delivered the Pedigree for the win.

Afterwards, Killings, Chavo and Goldust entered the ring to celebrate while Finney and Hakushi battled all the way backstage. What the happy face team didn't see was Pillman enter the ring with a steel chair! Pillman entered the ring and his first victim was Helmsley, Who took a shot to the back! Chavo took a shot to the head as well as Killings! Goldust then took a shot to the head! Marlena entered the ring and Pillman went to hit her with the chair, But Benoit pulled the chair away from Pillman! Benoit and Pillman started arguing with one another, With Benoit saying he wasn't allowing Pillman to hit Marlena! Benoit then grabbed the scared Marlena up and kissed her! She didn't like that and slapped Benoit! Benoit snapped and shoved her into Brian Pillman's Cobra Clutch Sleeper! Pillman held Marlena down on the canvas with the deadly submission hold! Goldust stood up, But Benoit took him down with right hands and stomped down on Goldust! Benoit applied the Crippler Crossface to Goldust, Forcing Goldust to watch Pillman choke the life out of Marlena! Referees and road agents came down to the ring, But Benoit let go of Goldust and grabbed the steel chair, Holding back everyone while Pillman choked out Marlena! After a few minutes, Pillman let go of the hold, And stood over Marlena, Laughing like a psycho. Pillman hugged Benoit and took both tag titles. Benoit looked down on Marlena, Grabbing her and kissing her again! Benoit shoved her down and laughed at her, Saying she should have said yes. Benoit and Pillman left the ring with both announcers being disgusted over the actions of the tag team champions. Paramedics came down to check on Marlena. Goldust shoved them out of the way and tried to help Marlena himself as Monday Night Raw went to a commercial break.

78, 74, 82 **3/4

Brian Pillman debuted his new gimmick. (Psycho)

COMMERCIAL BREAK

He's coming next Monday night!

WWF Slam Of The Week- The light heavyweights pull out all the stops, As Devon Storm DDT's Nasty Mike off the top turnbuckle! (RAW Saturday Night 8/16/97)

Interview with Paul Bearer and Jacobs

We go backstage where we see Jacobs standing by with his manager, Paul Bearer. Paul Bearer is laughing and smiling while Jacobs just stands there, Looking as menacing as ever.

Paul Bearer- Oh yes, Oh yes. Undertaker, SummerSlam is six days away. Oh yes, It is. Undertaker, You could have ruled the WWF with me by your side. But you chose the creatures of the night instead of me. And that was a very grave mistake. Oh yes, It was. Undertaker, You will not walk out of SummerSlam with the WWF Championship this Sunday night. I will make sure of that. Yes, I will. Undertaker, It's not that we like Bret Hart, We could care less about "The Hitman". But you have to suffer. You have to pay for what you did. And Jacobs will make you pay. Yes, He will. And Undertaker, We also have a friend coming very soon. And that friend is Brian Lee. We buried him on Friday night. And when he returns, He'll come back under my control. He'll come back better than ever. Just wait and see. Your own personal hell will begin.

World Wrestling Federation Intercontinental Championship

"Party Boy" Marty Jannetty© Vs. Kama Mustafa

Alex Wright joined the announcers for commentary during this match up. Wright talked about how he would leave SummerSlam with two titles around his waist and spent most of the match mocking Jannetty, Saying Jannetty's care free attitude would cost him greatly this Sunday night at SummerSlam. Kama Mustafa dominated Jannetty during the entire match. I guess the work from RSN has paid off as the crowd was into this match and booed Kama through out the match. Kama worked over Jannetty with a few suplexes and submission....... rest holds, But Jannetty kept fighting back from everything. It was during this match that McMahon mentioned Wright would defend the WWF European Championship this Friday night against the undefeated Kareem Arif. Kama Mustafa could not keep the party boy down. Jannetty made the comeback and planted Kama with a DDT. Jannetty came off the top with the party boy dance, But Kama somehow kicked out. Jannetty came off the ropes attempting a cross body, But Kama caught him and powerslammed Jannetty down. Kama lifted Jannetty up and went for the Supreme Driver, But Jannetty slipped out of it. Jannetty then caught Kama with the running enziguri kick for the victory.

Marty Jannetty didn't get to celebrate his win, As Alex Wright came into the ring with the WWF European Championship in hand and nailed Jannetty over the back of the head with it, Knocking out Jannetty! Wright then took Jannetty's WWF Intercontinental Championship and posed with both titles. The fans booed and chanted "USA" as Alex Wright stood tall over Jannetty.

72, 75, 67 *1\2

Vader Gets Even

We go backstage where Cactus Jack is standing by.

Cactus Jack- I had the greatest week of my life last week. First, I laid out Vader on Monday Night Raw. And on Friday Night Mayhem, Well, I defeated Shawn Michaels. But I am not here to talk about Shawn Michaels. Vader, Are you ready? It's six days away. SummerSlam is six days away. Are you ready for what awaits you? I am. Vader, SummerSlam will be do or die for both of us. Violence will be unleashed. Violence like never before. Vader, You think what I've done to you thus far has been bad? Wait until Sunday night. I am the king of hardcore. And this Sunday night, When you step into the ring with me, You will know first hand why I am the most psychotic son of a b**** in the WWF. Vader, You ripped out my ear. You powerbombed me on the floor. You destroyed my mentor. SummerSlam will be the night where you finally get what you have coming to you. And Vader, I'm going to make sure you remember the name Cactus Jack after Sunday night. And.........

Vader nails Jack from behind! Vader wasn't scheduled to be here! Vader and Jack are trading blows! Oh my God! It's an all out war! Vader rams Jack's head into a wall! Vader grabs Jack's head and rams it time and time again onto the wall! What punishment! Vader unloads on Jack with right hands! Right hands to the body, To the face! Vader has gone crazy! Referees come to the scene! Vader decks them! Vader decks each referee! Jack nails Vader from behind! Jack rams Vader's head onto a near by table! They're brawling all over the backstage area! Jack gets tossed right onto a catering table! Vader throws hot coffee on Jack! Vader lifts Jack up and slams Jack on the concrete floor! Vader has a piece of wood and hits Jack over the back with it! Vader grabs a steel pipe! Jack gets hit in the face! Vader starts hitting Jack over and over again with the pipe! What is this? Vader's got a wooden crate! Vader tosses the wooden crate onto Jack's body! Vader's got another wooden crate and tosses that one onto Jack's body! Road Agents are on the scene and Vader nails them! Vader has gone insane! Vader lifts Jack up and carries Jack near the loading dock. No! Vader is setting up Jack for a powerbomb. Vader powerbombs Jack ten feet off of the loading dock onto the concrete floor! Jack is dead! He's gotta be dead! We get a whole bunch of referees and road agents here! They're trying to stop Vader from jumping down onto Jack! They call for paramedics! Jack is down on the concrete floor!

Cactus Jack lost overness from this segment.

Interview with Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker

We cut to the interview area where Marissa Mazzola is standing by with the WWF Champion, The Undertaker and the "Heart Break Kid" Shawn Michaels.

Marissa Mazzola- It has been a wild, Out of control episode of Monday Night Raw. And we're just moments away from tonight's main event. I interviewed your opponents earlier tonight, And they are confident not only about tonight's match, But about Sunday's matches. Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Your thoughts on tonight's match and Sunday's matches?

Shawn Michaels- Marissa, Steve Austin is as confident as ever. And why shouldn't he be? Last week he beat me down like a dog. Sure, It was from behind, But he did it. And on Friday night, Well, He cost me my match by laying me out with the Stone Cold Stunner. Steve, I gotta hand it to you, That's twice that I've been stunned, And it don't feel good. But tonight, Tonight is another story. I got the deadman by my side. And even though he and I haven't always gotten along, And even though he could give a damn about me or the Kliq, I know there's respect there between the two of us! And we are ready for tonight's main event! Which team will come out on top? That's what everyone wants to know. Well, You're looking at the winning team right here! Steve Austin, I hope you are ready for SummerSlam. I hope you're as ready for SummerSlam as you say you are. Because this Sunday night, Everyone who is ordering SummerSlam will see me, The "Heart Break Kid" Shawn Michaels out wrestle you and walk away with the win. And I hope you're planning on giving me that five star wrestling lesson, Because I'm quite eager in seeing what you got. Hell, I hope you dish some of it out on me tonight. And Bret, You couldn't help yourself, Could ya? You had to bring up old HBK. Well, I know Taker wants you to himself and all, But I have the chance too, Then Bret, By the end of the night, You will have tasted Sweet Chin Music!

The Undertaker- Bret Hart, You have infuriated the wrath of my creatures of the night. First, It was you who interfered in my title match last week and hit me with a steel chair. And then on Friday night, You once again left me laid out with a steel chair. Tonight, I will get my hands on you. And you're going to feel like you gone through a thousand deaths. And Steve Austin, You talk about how your heart beats stone cold, But I've been in the ring with you, And I've beaten you. Get in my way tonight, And you will rest in peace.

Marissa Mazzola- Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker are ready for tonight's main event! Will they come out victorious? Fans, It's up next! The biggest main event in Monday Night Raw history!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

IPB Image

credit KillingsVSCena for the awesome banner

SummerSlam count down- 6 days and counting. The hottest event of the summer is coming.

Bret Hart and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin Vs. Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker

The WWF hyped this match through out the weekend, Promising it to be a classic, And it was a classic tag team match up. The fans were on the edge of their seats here for this main event. Hopefully this main event will add to the buys for SummerSlam. The announcers talked about the two big matches at SummerSlam, The casket match for the WWF Championship between Hart and Undertaker, And the wrestling classic between Austin and Michaels, Saying those two matches were worth ordering SummerSlam. Shawn Michaels and Undertaker had control of the match for the first few minutes. With Undertaker manhandling both Austin and Hart while Michaels out wrestled both men. Michaels almost hit Austin with Sweet Chin Music early on, But Austin rolled to the outside. Bret Hart and Steve Austin took control of the match after Austin caught Michaels with a stun gun on the outside, Driving Michaels face first into the steel post, Just like he did to Kip Parker on RAW Saturday Night. Bret Hart and Steve Austin picked apart Michaels, Showing alot of teamwork. Hart and Austin worked over Michaels' legs and back through out the match, With Bret Hart going for the Sharpshooter, While Austin just tried to dish out as much punishment as possible on Michaels as SummerSlam nears. Austin tried going for the Stone Cold Stunner a few times, But Michaels kept countering out of it. Michaels made the hot tag to Undertaker at the fifteen minute mark, And the fans exploded. Undertaker entered the ring and started dominating both Austin and Hart. Hart took a vicious big boot while Undertaker did the walk on the ropes to Austin. Undertaker then tossed Hart out with one hand and choke slammed Austin for a hot near fall. Michaels tagged himself back into the match and took out Austin with the flying forearm. Michaels nipped up while Hart rammed Undertaker into the steel post. Michaels then came off the ropes onto Hart on the outside! Michaels sent Hart into the steel steps and came back into the ring. Undertaker and Hart started fighting all the way up to the stage. Inside the ring, Michaels slammed Austin down and went up top. Michaels came off the top with the flying elbow right to Austin's heart! Michaels started to tune up the band. Bret Hart, Meanwhile, Suplexed Undertaker on top of the stage and came running down to ringside. Hart got up on the apron and Michaels super kicked Hart! Michaels then tried to hit Austin with Sweet Chin Music, But Austin had recovered by then and ducked Michaels' super kick! Austin planted Michaels with a kick to the gut and hit the Stone Cold Stunner! Austin covered Michaels for the clean one, two, three!

The crowd booed as Austin's music played. The Undertaker entered the ring and grabbed Austin by the throat and choke slammed Austin! Bret Hart, Who had recovered from Sweet Chin Music, Entered the ring and got choke slammed as well! Undertaker stood over three men with the WWF Championship in his hands as Monday Night Raw went off the air with the announcers wondering what would happen at SummerSlam.

93, 94, 91 ****1\4

Overall Rating- 80

TV Rating- 6.01

Competition

Monday Nitro

TV Rating- 5.67

Attendance- 5,032

Ticket Sales- $201,280

ECW Code Red

TV Rating- 5.29

Attendance- 3,502

Ticket Sales- $105,060

USPW Thursday Night Jam

TV Rating- 1.74

Attendance- 1,008

Ticket Sales- $30,240

Notes

"Al Snow and me don't have much chemistry in the ring. How about putting me in a program with a worker like Sean Waltman? I think our styles would really work well together." -Rick Martel

"I think i should be higher up the card." -Ron Killings

News

- Droz has been signed to a written deal. Droz has been sent to USWA.

- David Taylor has been released from his contract.

- USPW have released Johnny Smith!

- USPW have released The Warlord!

- Meng has agreed to an open contract with SWF!

- SWF have signed independent worker Nikolai Volkoff to a written contract!

- SWF have signed Brian Adams to a written contract!

- SWF have signed independent worker Ole Anderson to a written contract!

- SWF have signed Big Dick Dudley to a written contract!

- SWF have signed independent worker Afa to a written contract!

- SWF have signed David Taylor to a written contract!

- USPW have signed Harvey Wippleman to a written contract!

- Blizzard has agreed to an open contract with USPW!

- Beulah McGuillicutty has agreed to an open contract with USPW!

- USPW have signed Barry Horowitz to a written contract!

- USPW have signed Luke to a written contract!

It's been a very looooong time since I last commented on this diary. I'll be leaving my opinions/thoughts on this week's Raw while I read through it. Quick comment, this upcoming Summerslam card doesn't feel like a Summerslam card to me. It's supposed to be the second biggest show of the entire year. I haven't really felt the build for it has been typical of something a supercard would warrant. It might be because I'm of the thought that the bigger shows like Summerslam and Wrestlemania need to have blow off matches that have been built to for several months. It isn't exactly the case with this show since most of the matches seem to have been thrown together in the last few weeks. Though for a typical PPV, I'd say you've done a good job of shaping a worthwhile PPV. I definitely think the last few weeks have done a much better job of making me care for Hart v. Undertaker. Though rather then a big blow off PPV main event, it seems more like a backdrop for the Jacobs & Bearer v. Taker storyline. A storyline which is a little cheesy for my liking but it fits with a typical WWF 90s Undertaker feuds.

Scott Hall/Waltman v. Royalty: Interesting to see Lawler get a much busier in ring schedule. I am a big fan of trying to beef up the tag division and make it mean something. Lawler could be a pretty good tag wrestler since it means he isn't required to have to carry the load for the whole match. I'm sure Lawler has enough overness that he can help Memphis Royalty be seen as a legit threat by the fans. Though it seems like you're making Royalty into a JTTS tag team which I hope I'm wrong because I wouldn't say that is smart booking. Lawler/Christopher can be used better than just to put over all the face tag teams. Especially since Brian Christopher is pretty talented and could be really beneficial to the, also struggling, light heavyweight division. Either way, he doesn't deserve to be just used as enhancement talent. I like the current persona of Kanyon and I believe it fits him really well. I'm hoping this program leads to decent push for both Holly and Kanyon.

Austin/Hart: A generic heel interview that hypes up tonight's main event and the key Summerslam matches just fine. I'm hoping both Austin and Hart pull off the wins at Summerslam since I think they need it more. I also find it kind of hard to believe both heels will win the top matches since it'd cause the fans to not 'go home happy.'

Nash/Envy: Doesn't make the heels look too strong when two of them can't fight off one. I fear all the good Maivia's wins over Nash did will be negated at Summerslam.

Snow v. Martel: This match seemed to establish that Martel can't win without the other two on his side. It sort of starts making Snow and Nash appear to be the favourites as long as they can get a fair fight. Not sure if I exactly agree with that booking. It's usually a good plan to make the faces look like underdogs going into a handicap match.

Ahmed/Dlo/Shamrock: Not sure if I could be any less excited about the upcoming six man at Summerslam. These three guys are getting big pushes while they're fighting the Adminstration B-team. Does Yoko ever win matches???? I should note that I do like the idea of a lot of guys vying for the world title at this point with Ahmed laying claim to not having a fair shot at the previous Raw. He seems to have a little bad blood with 'Taker. All these title issues revovle around Undertaker which doesn't bode well for Hart taking the title at Sumnmerslam. :(

8 man tag: Just like the WWF to think that Beniot needs to have a 'character.' I really don't know how well Beniot would be able to pull it off. Seeing the usually very serious Beniot play a rather goofy character would be kind of fun. Faces go over but not sure if that telegraphs a heel win at Summerslam. I could see HelmslyDust take the titles at Summerslam since it would pop the fans huge but I can also finally see the trigger be pulled on Hunter turning on Goldust. Ignore my thoughts about telegraphing a heel win since the after match actions were big enough to get all the champs heat back. I like seeing Pillman snap like that. This would have been a super hot angle back in '97 seeing a women get manhandled like that. I'm now thinking Goldust needs to get his revenge at Summerslam and the Hunter doublecross will be held off for a bit. I'd guess, Goldust will be feuding with the tag champs for at least another month after what happend here. Good and controversial angle.

Is the guy who is coming, that Luchadore who was being hyped a few months back?

Jacobs: I thought Bearer promised Jacobs the WWF championship? Now he wants Jacobs to cost 'Taker the championship at SummerSlam? There seems to be a plot hole here. I'm really not looking forward to undead Brian Lee. This could be cheesier and messier than the real life Kane/Taker storyline.

Marty v. Kama: I hope Kama wins the title! :shifty: I am having a hard time getting into this feud with Wright. Marty's character is nothing more than a comedy act which I'd prefer not be taking up room at the IC/Upper Midcard division. I really don't like the Alex Wright character in this diary. It may be due to that fact that I never have liked Alex Wright ever since WCW tried shoving him down our throats as the Wunderkid (though, I did get a kick out him when he was being thrown out by security when he dances with Nitro girls). I know you love Wright. I know Marty is a hit with most readers. This is something I'll just need to tough out.

Vader Gets Even: Though I love the idea of a Cactus/Vader feud, I haven't really been a fan of this build up. I know Cactus came up with his reasons for hating Vader, which are good ones, but it still seems like a randonly thrown together match for Summerslam. The brawl was a nice touch and Vader killing Cactus with the powerbomb was interesting. A normal man would be written out with such an angle but Cactus isn't any normal man. It'll make the Cactus return at Mayhem an even bigger deal.

Taker/Michaels: This interview reminded me that Austin and Bret have had the faces' numbers. It'll be interesting to see the direction you go with the main event. This would typically be the place that the heels go over to set up the face wins at Summerslam. I have an inkling that the heels might be the winners at the PPV which means the faces will need some momentum before the big losses.

Hart/Austin v. Taker/HBK: Wow, Austin got the clean win on HBK! I'm shocked. Though now I fear poor Austin is taking another marquee PPV loss. Not what I wanted but at least this pinfall will give him some rub. A good match that would get fans hyped for the two top matches for the PPV. Undertaker is the last man standing in the ring, maybe Hart has a chance to take the title at Summerslam afterall.

Question for you, what is the max ratings that TNT can have in your scenerio? Nitro never seems to be able to break out of the 6.00 barrier. The Monday War isn't really fair if one network has a larger max rating than the other. Or maybe you're just that much better than them. ;)

Didn't you just sign David Taylor??? Now, you're letting him go? Was that so you can pay the salary for the up and comer Droz?

SWF stole Adams from you. So much for any pay off between Lee and him.

SWF really like the old guys, eh?

A pretty good final Raw before Summerslam. You seemed to hype all the matches going into the show. Each one seems to have a decent level of heat going into it. Keep it up. (Y)

Thanks for the comments Spicedawg.

As for SummerSlam's build up, Yeah, I agree, It hasn't been anything special for what a event like SummerSlam should be. Especially since I had most of July and August to hype it up. I do agree that the whole Taker/Jacobs thing is cheesy. But that's the kind of storylines I like for the whole Undertaker character.

No, Lawler and Christopher won't be used as jobbers. They're probably my top heel team other than Kanyon and Hollywood. Though, They have had two loses, But those were to teams that are alot more over and popular than them. (Helmsleydust and Hall/Waltman.)

As for Yokozuna, I do think that he'll be better off in a tag team enviroment. I'm probably going to team him up with Diamond.

Yeah, The guy coming in next Monday night is the new luchadore.

I hope the Lee stuff doesn't end up messier than Kane/Taker, But you never know.

The max rating for TNT is 8.00, The same as Raw's. Nitro had ratings around the 6.00 barrier until June. It then started to slip. Their highest rating for Nitro in 1997 has been a 6.49 rating back in February.

Actually, I planned on putting Taylor in a team with Norman Smiley, But he was getting there in age and didn't want to stay in USWA. I just let him go. As for Droz, I had him on my roster awhile back, But I had too many people on the roster then, And let him go. He's cheap though, And young, He could come out of USWA with great skills.

Adams only signed with SWF for six months. If he's cleaned up by then, He could be back by January. That would allow me to do something with him and Lee.

IPB Image

Date: August 22, 1997

We are only two days away from the hottest event of the summer, SummerSlam. This year's SummerSlam promises to be one of the biggest events in the history of the World Wrestling Federation. And tonight, We have got a huge main event in store. We will see a huge six men tag team main event happen tonight. On one side, We'll see Goldust, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, And the "Heart Break Kid" Shawn Michaels team up to face Brian Pillman, Chris Benoit and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. We see Brian Pillman commit the most hideous act in WWF history on Monday night, When he choked out Marlena. We understand Marlena is in the hospital with serious injuries. She will not be back for a long time. Tonight, Goldust has a chance to get his hands on Brian Pillman. What will happen between Helmsleydust and the WWF Tag Team Champions two days before SummerSlam? Steve Austin also defeated Shawn Michaels on Monday Night Raw in the tag team main event. Will Shawn Michaels get payback tonight? Which six men duo is coming out of Friday Night Mayhem with the victory, Two days before SummerSlam?

Chris Kanyon will make his return to the ring at this year's SummerSlam. Kanyon has been on the shelf with a serious "injury" ever since the beginning of the year. This Sunday night, Kanyon teams with Hollywood Holly to face Scott Hall and Sean Waltman. But tonight, Kanyon's partner, Hollywood, Takes on Sean Waltman in singles action. Hollywood and Kanyon laid out Waltman and Hall on Monday night. Waltman is not one hundred percent for this battle, But can Waltman pull off the win against Hollywood? Or will Hollywood come out with the win? Both Chris Kanyon and Scott Hall will be at ringside for this match.

Friday Night Mayhem will also see light heavyweight action. Ron Killings will take on Johnny Swinger tonight. Killings is headed to SummerSlam with the chance to leave as the Light Heavyweight Champion. Will he be able to defeat Swinger tonight? Or will Swinger come out with yet another win? This should be a great light heavyweight battle. Alex Wright will be in action tonight, And he will be defending his WWF European Championship against Kareem Arif. Arif is a undefeated WWF Superstar, Will he leave as the new WWF European Champion?

Ahmed Johnson and Ken Shamrock will team up tonight to face British Bulldog and Mr. Yokozuna. Both these teams will be involved in what should be a great six men tag match this Sunday night. What will happen when these two teams battle tonight? Their partners, D'Lo Brown and Simon Diamond will be at ringside tonight. Will the administration come out with the win? Or will the men against the administration walk out victorious tonight?

Bret Hart is scheduled to be in Eugene tonight. Bret Hart heads into SummerSlam to challenge The Undertaker for the WWF Championship. Bret Hart got a preview of SummerSlam this past Monday night when he was laid out by The Undertaker's huge choke slam. What will "The Hitman" say tonight? We will also hear from Al Snow and Kevin Nash tonight. As well as Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit. You can't miss this episode of Friday Night Mayhem.

IPB Image

Channel: UPN

Date: August 22, 1997

Attendance: 7,020

Ticket Sales: $280,800

Announcers: Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler

Friday Night Mayhem comes on the air with a video package showing great World Wrestling Federation action. When the video ends, We're taken inside the arena where pyro goes off from the rafters and from the entrance way. We then head over to our announce position where Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler are standing by. They are very excited and hype up tonight's big show.

Ron Killings Vs. Johnny Swinger

Amazing opening contest here on Friday Night Mayhem. Both these two men seem to be catching on with the crowd, Especially Swinger, Who is the number one heel in the light heavyweight division. The announcers actually paid attention to this bout, And hyped Killings getting a shot at the Light Heavyweight Championship this Sunday at SummerSlam. Killings started this one off with the advantage and wowed the fans by doing a suicide dive to Swinger on the outside. Killings tried to put Swinger away early with the Compton Crash, But Swinger moved out of the way. Swinger then worked over Killings with a few submission maneuvers, But Killings kept fighting back. Swinger almost made Killings tap out with a Texas Cloverleaf, But Killings made it to the ropes. Swinger again almost won it, This time with the Swing Thing, But Killings somehow kicked out. Killings made the big comeback, Almost knocking Swinger's head off of his shoulders with a scissors kick. Killings went up top, But Swinger shook the ropes, Causing Killings to lose his balance. Swinger went up top with Killings and tried to superplex Killings, But Killings countered out of it with a top turnbuckle powerbomb for the win!

Ron Killings celebrated his win and told the camera he was leaving SummerSlam as the new World Wrestling Federation Light Heavyweight Champion.

81, 67, 95 ***3/4

COMMERCIAL BREAK

HBK, Down, But Not Out

Steve Austin comes down to the ring with a big smile on his face as Friday Night Mayhem returns from the break. Jim Ross says Austin's smiling like that due to his win over Shawn Michaels on Monday Night Raw. Austin poses on all four turnbuckles as we're again hyped on what a classic Austin versus Michaels will be at SummerSlam.

Steve Austin- I love you people! I love all of you! I love the world! I love everything about God's green Earth! I am so happy! I'm happier than happy, I'm feeling gay! It's a gay old time! You know why I am so God damn happy? If you watched Monday Night Raw, You saw the wonderful, No, Great, No, Amazing main event! It was me and "The Hitman" in one corner, And Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker in the other corner. And when it was all said and done with, I pinned Shawn Michaels in the center of the ring. One, Two, Three! Ha! Ha! Ha! I pinned Shawn Michaels! I pinned that little bastard six days before SummerSlam! What do you people have to say about that? Where's your little smart comments about Shawn Michaels being the better wrestler? I beat his ass on Monday night! I proved to the world that I am better than Shawn Michaels. That I am the top wrestler around here. And Shawn Michaels, You couldn't even get that stupid super kick on me! How are you planning on beating me this Sunday night? What kind of miracle are you going to pull out? Shawn Michaels, You better hit your knees and start praying to the good lord above. Oh, You better pray that I don't make you look like a even bigger fool this Sunday night at SummerSlam. I beat you on Monday night, And I'll beat you at SummerSlam. It's as simple as that. Actually, Tonight we're involved in the main event once again. And you know, I think I might be beating you again tonight as well. You just hope it's not down to the two of us tonight. Are you looking forward to SummerSlam Shawn? Are you looking forward to this Sunday night? I can't wait for it. I can't wait to get my hands on you. And all this talk about how great Shawn Michaels is will end at SummerSlam. SummerSlam will be the night of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. I'm winning this match at all costs. The Kliq can't stop me. You can't stop me. I will walk out of the 1997 SummerSlam with the biggest win of my career. And..............

Steve Austin is cut off by the music of the "Heart Break Kid" Shawn Michaels. The fans are on their feet as the former WWF Champion stands on top of the entrance way. Shawn Michaels is not in the smiling mood tonight.

Steve Austin- What are you doing here, Loser? Didn't you get enough of me on Monday night? You got a stupid look on your face, Are you sad? Are you sad over me beating you? Are you going to cry? Do you wanna cry? Do I need to wipe your little tears away? Do you want me to hug you? Cause I will.

Shawn Michaels- For once in your life, Shut the hell up. You pinned me on Monday night. Congratulations. You beat me on Monday Night Raw. But Steve, That was one win. Sure, Not alot of people have beaten me over the years, But what makes you think you're going to repeat it at SummerSlam? This Sunday night, It'll be a battle between you and I. You said you were the better wrestler, And I'm sure you're feeling cocky as hell after Monday's win. But is it something you're going to repeat on Sunday night? You got the best out of me on Monday Night Raw. But this Sunday night, It's time for you to show everyone that you belong at this level. Can you really beat me again? Steve Austin, When I defeat you this Sunday night, Reality is going to kick you in the face. I am the one who is leaving SummerSlam the winner and there is nothing you can do about that. You stand no chance in hell of beating me again. I guarantee victory at SummerSlam this Sunday night. Face it Steve, You never belonged at this level. Hell, You couldn't hack it in WCW, And in the WWF, There's no way you can make yourself a showstopper like HBK. You're not as good as you think you are. You got one win over me, But at SummerSlam, I will show to you why I am the showstopper, the main event, And the icon.

Steve Austin- You think so? You think I'm just someone else you can run over? Shawn Michaels, I beat your ass on Monday night. And you know what? I'm beating your ass again tonight. And this Sunday night, I'm beating your ass for a third straight time and there's nothing you can do about it! You think I don't belong on your level? Son, I'm in a level all by myself! Everyone of these WWF "Superstars" are trying to reach my level! Let me tell you something, I was the man down there in Atlanta until those old bastards got in my way and held me back! Everyone of these people, Whether they like me or not, Know that I got more talent in my hand than those old bastards ever had! And now you wanna get in my way like they did? Eh, Eh! That's not gonna happen, You big piece of trash! I promising victory this Sunday night at SummerSlam. Everyone knows this is going to be a classic match. A match for everyone of these little bastards to remember. But what they will remember is me pinning you at SummerSlam. It'll be just the two of us in that ring. There will be no more excuses. I am going to give you everything I have. And when that bell rings, One of us is going to get their arms raised high in the air. And that man is going to be me. Shawn Michaels, Your era in the WWF is over. It's time for the "Stone Cold" era to begin.

Shawn Michaels- Steve Austin, In your own little paranoid mind you think I'm holding you back. But I'm not. You've never made a name for yourself like I have. I went through everyone in the WWF to get to where I'm at. SummerSlam, It's do or die for you and me both. You pinned me on Monday night, And that's getting to me. But tonight, I'll pin you. Hell, I want it to be down to the two of us tonight just like you do. And when I pin you tonight, You'll be even more desperate than you already are.

Steve Austin- You think you're just gonna run over me tonight? You think you're going to kick my ass? Shawn Michaels, Since you're feeling so tough, I got something to say to you. Bring it on, B****!

Shawn Michaels starts walking down the ramp way. Here we go! Michaels enters the ring, But Austin slides out! Austin starts walking up the ramp way. Once Austin reaches the top of the stage, He grabs the mic.

Steve Austin- You think you're going to cheat shot me? Eh, Eh! Shawn Michaels, You'll get some of this later tonight. But it'll end up just like Monday night. And SummerSlam, I'll defeat you one more time! Why? Because I can!

The fans are booing and chanting "Austin sucks" as Austin heads up the ramp way. Jim Ross calls Austin a coward, But Lawler says Austin is smart. The hype up tonight's big main event.

Interview with Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit

We then go backstage to the interview area where we see Marissa Mazzola standing by with the WWF Tag Team Champions, Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit.

Marissa Mazzola- Jim Ross, Jerry "The King" Lawler, I am standing by with the current WWF Tag Team Champions, Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit. And guys, You two are not well liked by fans, Staff, And wrestlers. Everyone is feeling disgusted with the two of you after what you two did to Marlena on Monday night. Brian Pillman, You locked Marlena, A defenseless woman, Into your deadly submission hold and you would not let go of her! It took minutes for the officials to pull you off of her. She's in the hospital with series neck pains. Do you two feel any remorse over what you two did?

Brian Pillman- Remorse? What is this? The show where you come and cry about your feelings? Listen up, I don't give a damn about Marlena. Fact is, I'm glad I put her out. I hope she's watching this. I hope she has that neck brace on. And I hope every time her neck bothers her, Every time she feels that sharp pain in there, She'll remember the man who did that to her, Brian Pillman. Marlena, It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman. When you get in our way, You'll get hurt. It's just the way we work. We hurt people. We put people out. And Goldust, I know you're a little pissed off. I mean, Hell, I would too if my wife got choked out. But don't think you're getting revenge on me tonight or at SummerSlam. Tonight, We join forces with an old friend of mine, And if you think I'm crazy, Then you haven't seen what this man can do. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin joins forces with us tonight. And you, Helmsley, And Michaels are all going straight to hell. We're coming into this match to hurt you. We hurt whoever gets in our way. That's why we're the champions. We're the champions, And we're walking out of SummerSlam with the titles still around our waists.

Marissa Mazzola- Chris Benoit, It seemed like you were interested in Marlena, But after what happened on Monday night, It might have seemed like it was just you trying to get into Goldust's head.

Chris Benoit- Listen, Marlena had an offer on the table. She could have had all of this, But she turned it down. Hey, You think I'm waiting around for some woman? I let Brian Pillman do what he did on Monday night. And if he hadn't gotten his hands on her, I would have locked her into the Crippler Crossface, Except I wouldn't have let go of the hold. Marlena, I hope you're watching. You could have had all of this, Now, You're in some hospital bed. And it's your fault. But don't worry, Helmsleydust will be joining the two of you this Sunday night. And tonight, You'll get your preview of what's in store for SummerSlam. You know, I had been chasing Marlena around for days, But she didn't want me. Fine, Now she's in the hospital. Fact is, I shouldn't have mixed business and pleasure. In the WWF, Inside the ring, I am the Canadian Crippler. My partner made me realize that. And now, I'm even more over a crippler than I ever was. Sunday, It's the last you'll see of Helmsleydust.

Benoit and Pillman walk off. Lawler says the real crippler is back, But Ross says he never left. We go to a break with the announcers hyping the rest of the show.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Ahmed Johnson and Ken Shamrock W/D'Lo Brown Vs. British Bulldog and Mr. Yokozuna W/ Simon Diamond

Well, This one wasn't pretty, But the crowd was into it. Like it was said, With the ratings and attendance going down, Vince is getting a bit desperate, And when Mr. McMahon gets desperate, Well, The hosses come out and play. If this match was any indication, It looks like Ahmed Johnson is headed for a big push. The announcers hyped the hell out of Ahmed Johnson, Saying Ahmed Johnson was perhaps the rightful WWF Champion, Since he pretty much had The Undertaker beat a few weeks ago. D'Lo came down with Shamrock and Johnson to make sure Simon Diamond didn't get involved. Bulldog and Mr. Yokozuna isolated and worked over Ken Shamrock for a short while, Until Shamrock was able to make the hot tag to Ahmed Johnson. Johnson entered the ring and cleaned house. Both Mr. Yokozuna and Bulldog were knocked by stiff powerful blows from Johnson. Ahmed Johnson showed off his power by press slamming Davey Boy Smith and then slamming Mr. Yokozuna! Shamrock and Mr. Yokozuna ended up out on the floor, Leaving Bulldog alone with Johnson. Ahmed Johnson caught Bulldog coming off the ropes with a huge spinebuster. Johnson grabbed Bulldog and finished him off with the Pearl River Plunge for the win.

Ahmed Johnson stood tall in the ring while Diamond and Yokozuna helped Bulldog to the back. D'Lo and Shamrock entered the ring to celebrate with Johnson.

74, 77, 69 *3/4

COMMERCIAL BREAK

World Wrestling Federation European Championship

Kareem Arif Vs. Alex Wright©

Both these men had a decent showing, And the crowd seems to be getting into Kareem Arif, Despite his non violent ways. Arif offered Wright a handshake in the beginning, But Wright slapped the taste out of Arif's mouth! Wright cheated his way through the match, But could not keep Arif down. Wright, At one point, Even got a roll up with his feet all over the ropes, But Arif kicked out. Arif made the comeback, Running down Wright with clotheslines, Almost winning it with a huge samoan drop. Kareem Arif caught Wright with a DDT and covered for another two count. Arif lifted Wright up, But Wright shoved Arif onto the referee, Knocking down the referee. Arif went to check on the referee, Allowing Wright to go to the outside. Wright grabbed his WWF European Championship and entered the ring with it. Wright went to hit Arif with it, But was stopped! By Marty Jannetty! Jannetty, Who was up on the apron, Snatched the title away from Wright and hit Wright right in between the eyes with the title! Jannetty got off the apron and tossed the title into the ring. Arif didn't see what happened and covered Wright. The referee came too and counted the three, Giving Arif the win!

Arif was handed the title and celebrated his win. However, Referee Monty Davidson came running down from the back. Davidson entered the ring and told referee Mike Chioda what happened, Even showing the footage up on the screen! Chioda reversed the decision and gave Wright the victory! Jannetty entered the ring, Fuming, About to go after Wright, But Arif stopped him. Wright grabbed his title and left the ring. Jannetty apologized to Arif, But the big man told Jannetty not to worry about it and left the ring. Jannetty took his frustrations out on Davidson, Punching Davidson in the face and then tossing Davidson out to the floor!

74, 75, 72 **

The WWF European title has gained in image.

It's Heating Up

We go backstage where we see Vader. The big man is getting ready to come out to the ring. Vader's music plays and Vader shows up on the stage to a huge ovation from this crowd! Vader poses on the stage for a bit, As the announcers hype up the SummerSlam battle between Vader and Cactus Jack. As Vader walks down the ramp way, He's attacked from behind by Cactus Jack, Who's got a freaking baseball bat in hand! Cactus Jack hits Vader over and over again with the baseball bat! Vader gets hit over the back a few times. Jack puts Vader down to both knees with another shot to the back. Cactus Jack hits Vader in the stomach a few times, Before trying to hit Vader in the face, But Vader blocks the shots! Jack kicks Vader in the face! Jack hits Vader in the face with the bat! Jack then smashes the bat over the top of Vader's head! Vader is out! The bat is broken! Vader is bleeding! He's not moving! Cactus Jack walks off, Leaving Vader down and bloodied. Referees and road agents come down to the scene and call for paramedics. The paramedics come down to the scene and put Vader on a stretcher. One of the medics says Vader might have some serious injuries due to this. We go to a commercial break with the announcers voicing their concern over Jack's brutal attack on Vader, Even Lawler shows some sympathy. Jim Ross couldn't believe Cactus Jack could lay out Vader after getting beaten down on Monday night. Ross wondered if anyone could stop Cactus Jack. The announcers wonder if Vader will make it to SummerSlam as we go to a commercial break.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Hollywood Holly W/Chris Kanyon Vs. Sean Waltman W/Scott Hall

Chris Kanyon was a non factor in the beginning, As Hall jumped Kanyon and rammed Kanyon's head into the steel post several times, Busting Kanyon open. And forcing Kanyon to go to the back to get medical attention. This allowed for a fair match. Sean Waltman had Hollywood's number early on, Hitting several of his quick offense on the movie star. Waltman nailed Hollywood with a big spinning heel kick, Sending Hollywood out to the floor. Things turned sour for Waltman when he tried to dive onto Hollywood on the outside, But got caught and thrown into the steel post by Hollywood. Hollywood beat the hell of Waltman inside the ring. Using big slams and suplexes to Waltman. Hollywood got so cocky that he even taunted Scott Hall a few times. Sean Waltman made the comeback, Catching Hollywod with a big facebuster. Waltman got a few near falls over Hollywood, But to his credit, Hollywood kept fighting back. Waltman connected with a few kicks to Hollywood in the corner, Finishing Hollywood off with a big spinning back heel kick. Waltman then went for the bronco buster, But Hollywood caught Waltman with a kick to the midsection. Hollywood then covered Waltman with his feet on the ropes for the win.

Scott Hall entered the ring, Looking to get revenge on Hollywood, But Hollywood quickly ran away. Scott Hall checked on Waltman while Hollywood did some poses on top of the stage. Jerry "The King" Lawler said Hall and Waltman stood no chance in hell of beating Kanyon and Hollywood this Sunday night. Not after the attack on Monday night, And tonight's match.

76, 76, 77 **1\2

Interesting........

Our cameras take us backstage where we see D'Lo Brown making a call on the payphone. D'Lo hangs up the phone when he sees Francis Cloutier walk by.

D'Lo Brown- Hey! Hang on! Francis Cloutier, Right? Cloutier is about to speak Quiet down! Nah. I ain't interested in your BS. Listen here, Alot of the boys around here don't like you. Me included. We don't like someone from the locker room so close to the administration. Hey, The way I heard it, You have immunity here. Rick Rude likes you and lets you do whatever you want. Listen here, We don't like you coming around, Trying to get one of us killed by having us do you favors. What do we get out of it? I talked to a few of these kids in the locker room you said you were trying to get them to take out a "big player". Listen here, Next time I catch you trying to mess with these rookies, I'm gonna pound your ass down into the ground! Got that?

Francis Cloutier- You know what you need?

D'Lo Brown- What?

Francis Cloutier- An attitude adjustment.

D'Lo Brown- Is that what I need? Well, How about you try to adjust my damn attitude?

Francis Cloutier- D'Lo, I wouldn't waste my time with you. No, But I'm sure someone will try to put you in your place. You know, I have alot of friends. I'll see you around, Champ.

Cloutier walks off, Giving D'Lo a mean look. D'Lo just looks on, And the announcers wonder what could happen between D'Lo Brown and Francis Cloutier in the future.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Who will envy who at SummerSlam?

Al Snow and Kevin Nash make their way to the ring as we return from the break. The fans give both men a huge ovation. They enter the ring and pose for a bit. Nash then asks for a microphone. The big man doesn't have that usual cocky grin on his face tonight. No, Nash looks like he's all business tonight.

Kevin Nash- I'm sure you people know SummerSlam is this Sunday night. And I'm sure you know that Al Snow and myself are headed into Sunday's PPV to face Mr. Perfect, Rick Martel and Rocky Maivia. Everyone seems to think we're at a disadvantage, But as we proved on Monday night, The numbers game doesn't matter. And this Sunday night, We're entering SummerSlam with one goal in mind. We're going to take out "envy" once and for all. You boys thought you were so smart. You thought that you had the advantage over us. But just remember something. Last week, The two of us took the three of you straight to hell. And on Monday night, Al Snow beat the s*** out of Rick Martel. Boys you're headed to SummerSlam with the disadvantage. You three stand no chance of leaving SummerSlam with the win over us.

Al Snow- Mr. Perfect, Rick Martel, Rocky Maivia, You three think you're going to win just because you have the numbers advantage over us? Together, Kevin Nash and I are a unbeatable team. And this Sunday night, We're going to be beating the three of you like you three have never been beaten before. Mr. Perfect, Both Nash and I are desperately wanting a piece of you. You turned on us. You were a coward. You tricked us. Made us look like fools. We don't like being made to look like fools. I know Nash wants to get his hands on you, But I hope I get my hands on you before he does. You saw what I did to Martel on Monday night. I want to do the same thing to you this Sunday night. I wanna suplex the living hell out of you, Kicking you in the face, And finish you off with the Snow Plow. That's going to be your big return to the ring. I know...........

The fans boo as the music of Envy begins to play. The boos only get louder as we see Envy on the big screen.

Rick Martel- Look at this. We got two losers hanging around in our ring. Do they think anyone cares about them? Al Snow, You got lucky on Monday night. It's as simple as that. You know damn well that you're not in my league. You just got lucky. It was a big mistake. A mistake which won't happen again. You really think you can beat me again? I'm Rick Martel, Damn it. And nobody can beat me! Kevin Nash, It was smart of you to get Mr. Perfect and Rocky Maivia out of the building on Monday night. Because, You know damn well that after I had cleanly beat Snow, Without interference, These two would have come down to the ring and shown Mr. Snow a thing or two. And as far as your SummerSlam promises goes, Look, There's three of us. And two of you. Can you really beat us? Kevin Nash, My young protégé already has your number. He's beaten your big butt twice! And Al, Well, If you're feeling so cocky over your win on SummerSlam, Then, I'm going to have to show you that it was nothing but a fluke. Just remember that.

Mr. Perfect- Rick, What you get here is two idiots. Two men who think they're going to beat three men at SummerSlam. It's that simple. Al Snow and Kevin Nash are morons. They don't know what they have coming this Sunday night. They think they're going to run right over us. But me and Rick Martel are legends. Face it, We've been around here longer than the both of you combined. We know all the tricks in the book. We're smarter than the two of you. Sure, You beat us down last week, And you outsmarted us on Monday night. But we're coming to SummerSlam with a plan in mind. Who knows? Maybe there will be a fourth member of envy this Sunday night. Me and Rick Martel are showing Rocky Maivia everything we know. We're teaching him from years of experience. And we will not let him down this Sunday.

Rocky Maivia- Hang on, You fellas don't need to worry about letting me down. Hell, I could fight both of them in a handicap match myself! Kevin Nash, You're a two time loser! I beat you big man! Bam! TGS right on your seven feet tall behind! You went down to this pebble! And Al Snow, I faced you before. You might have beaten me that one time, But that was a one time thing! I been training with these two men! They're legends! They are training me hard! They taught me every trick in the book! They showed me what it's like to be on top of my game! I could take both of you down by myself, But no, I'm going to let them get their glory at SummerSlam. But after SummerSlam, Oh, After SummerSlam, Nash, I'm going for my third victory over you. And Al Snow, I'm gonna beat your ass too, Just because I can! I am pebble, Hear me roar, B****!

Rick Martel- See, Isn't that catchphrase the kicks? Al Snow, Kevin Nash, Enjoy these two days before SummerSlam. Cause Sunday, It's do or die for the two of you. Envy is striking with everything we got. Three against two, You stand no chance in hell against us!

Boos come from the crowd as Envy poses on top of the stage. The three men pose and stare down Nash and Snow. We go to a commercial break with the announcers hyping Sunday's two on three handicap match.

Kevin Nash lost overness from this segment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Shawn Michaels and Goldust Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit

This was an all out war, With Goldust jumped Pillman during the entrances of Benoit and Pillman. Michaels went after Austin while Helmsleydust battled the champions. Helmsleydust fought Benoit and Pillman on the outside while Michaels and Austin fought in the ring, Both men showing off their pure wrestling skills, Trading counters, holds and near falls with one another. Both men looked to hit their finishers, Austin, Trying the Stone Cold Stunner, While Michaels, Tried to go for the Sweet Chin Music. Goldust choked Pillman down with wires and rammed Pillman into the steel steps on the outside while Helmsley pounded down on Benoit. The announcers said that perhaps, Helmsley was feeling bad over what happened to Marlena, And wanted a piece of the champions just as badly as Goldust. The heel team were able to isolate Helmsley. They worked over Helmsley, With Austin and Pillman, Former partners, Double teaming Helmsley at times. At times, Helmsley would even get triple teamed. Austin taunted the hell out of Michaels, Using some of Michaels' trademark moves and taunts. Benoit and Pillman both taunted Goldust, Causing Goldust to enter the ring and get held back, Allowing Helmsley to take more punishment. Helmsley was able to take out Austin in a big way, With a thunderous Pedigree, And made the hot tag to Michaels. Michaels entered the ring and started to clean house. Goldust then entered and all hell broke out. Goldust and Helmsley continued their assault on the champions, While Michaels focused on Austin. Michaels was able to connect with Sweet Chin Music on Austin, Even covering Austin, But the referee wouldn't count, Saying Austin wasn't the legal man. Goldust rammed Pillman into the steel post and rolled Pillman back into the ring, Where Michaels drilled Pillman with Sweet Chin Music for the win.

Goldust entered the ring with a steel chair, Looking to take off Pillman's head, But Benoit rolled Pillman out to the floor. Goldust left the ring with the chair and chased both men through the crowd, With Helmsley joining Goldust! Michaels celebrated his win in the ring with Austin staring him down. Austin flipped Michaels off and headed backstage. The announcers hyped their SummerSlam match as we went to a break.

86, 87, 87 ***3/4

COMMERCIAL BREAK

He's coming this Monday night!

WWF Slam Of The Week- Al Snow finishes Martel off with the Snow Plow. (Monday Night Raw 8/18/97)

You're not the first one scared of the casket

Friday Night Mayhem returns from the commercial break with Bret "The Hitman" Hart coming down to the ring. The announcers wonder what "The Hitman" is going to say tonight. Bret Hart enters the ring and asks for the microphone. The crowd boos Hart and chant for The Undertaker.

Bret Hart- SummerSlam is two days away. You know, Everyone is saying that I should be scared of this casket match. They say I should be worried about The Undertaker destroying me this Sunday night. They know what he's capable of. And you know, I'm starting to worry a bit. Yeah, I know I talk big, But Undertaker is a phenom around here. I must admit, I was impressed with The Undertaker. I have always been amazed by the man. He's truly the man in the WWF. And he's got the World Wrestling Federation Championship around his waist to prove it. But Undertaker, I know deep down, You respect me too. Hell, I'm sure you respect me as much as I respect you. And Undertaker, I know you want a fair match at SummerSlam. I know you want to beat me, So you can show everyone you're the best. But a casket match is not the way to do it. I mean, That's your kind of match. That's not fair to me. You know? I mean, How about we just face in a singles match? A nice clean wrestling match, I can get Monty Davidson to be the referee in the match. It'll be a nice wrestling contest. Something for the fans to remember. I mean, Who wants to see a casket match? I don't. Undertaker, I know you are a reasonable man. And I know you always do the right thing. The announcers always said you were the conscience of the WWF. It's time to prove them right. Undertaker, Please come out here, Not to fight, But to agree to change our SummerSlam match.

Not even a second after Hart is done, The Undertaker's music plays to a huge ovation from the crowd. The blue lights come on as the World Wrestling Federation Champion walks down the long isle way. The Undertaker walks up the steel steps and raises his arms up, Bringing the lights back into the arena. Undertaker enters the ring and stares down "The Hitman".

Bret Hart- Undertaker, I want to thank you for coming out here. I know it's not easy being out here with me in the ring, But I'm not looking to fight you. I'm just looking to try to reason to you. You and I know that a casket match is not fair. I have no experience in a casket match. Do you think it's fair for me to fight in a casket match? I know you love being the WWF Champion. Yeah, You say you do it for the creatures and what not, But deep down, Deep down, You love having the gold around your waist. And how couldn't you? You're only human..... Right? Undertaker, You have always been a fair man. That's why I respect you so much. And Undertaker, As a fair man, I know you would want me to have a fair chance at SummerSlam. So, How about we agree to change the stipulation and make it a fair one on one match?

Undertaker just stares at Hart.

Bret Hart- Look, I don't think you understand. A casket match is not fair to me. Why should I have to fight in a casket match? Jacobs threw his match with Johnson on purpose. That's why you got to choose the stipulation! It's not fair to me! I asked Rude to change it, But he can't! It's up to you. Listen to me, I am not fighting you in a casket match for the WWF Championship. I want a regular match. You think I want to be stuffed into a casket? You're going to change the match. It's not going to be a casket match, Understand me?

Again, Undertaker just stares a hole right through "The Hitman". Hart seems to be getting angrier at the WWF Champion.

Bret Hart- Listen, I am not wrestling in a damn casket match! It's not happening! You understand me? You got that? I am not wrestling you at SummerSlam in a casket match! It's not what I agreed to! I know what you're trying to do, You're trying to screw me out of my chance of becoming the WWF Champion. That's what you're trying to do! It's not fair! Hell, You should be handing the WWF Championship over to me! Everyone knows that I am the rightful champion! I should have never lost the title to that pretty boy fraud! Everyone has screwed me over and over again! Shawn Michaels, Scott Hall, My own brother, And now, You! Guess what? I am walking out of SummerSlam with the title around my waist! It's my title! But I am not wrestling in a casket match! You understand me? Look at me! You got that? I am the best there is, The best there was, And the best that there ever will be! You are nothing to me! I am the damn WWF Champion! I..........

Bam! Hart goes down from a right hand by the phenom! Undertaker lifts Hart up and easily tosses Hart into the corner. Undertaker starts to pummel Hart with right hands! The fans roar each time the phenom punches Hart. Undertaker gets raked in the eyes! Hart kicks Undertaker in the legs! Hart starts connecting with right hands to Undertaker. Bret Hart takes Undertaker down with a double leg take down and tries to apply the Sharpshooter to The Undertaker, But The Undertaker kicks Hart off! Undertaker almost takes Hart's head off with a clothesline! Undertaker pulls Hart up with ease and grabs Hart by the throat! Choke Slam, No! Hart low blows Undertaker! DDT by Hart! Bret Hart goes to the outside. Hart grabs a steel chair! Undertaker sits up! Hart thinks about entering the ring, But doesn't. Hart starts leaving. Hart starts walking up the ramp way! The fans are booing the hell out of Hart! Friday Night Mayhem goes off the air with Bret Hart and The Undertaker staring each other down. Who will leave SummerSlam as the WWF Champion?

Overall Rating- 81

TV Rating- 6.45

Notes

"I think i should be higher up the card." -British Bulldog

"Alex Wright and Kareem Arif didn't 'click' in their match, maybe due to their mismatched skills causing their styles not to gel?" -Pat Patterson

Killngs v. Swinger: It's good to see the light heavies finally getting some decent crowd responses. Killings seems to be getting a pretty solid push. I was surprised to hear Swinger is your most over heel since he seems to be the designated jobber at this point. Maybe this will all change after SummerSlam.

HBK Not Out: 'Do you want me to hug you? Cause I will' That's a classic line and I could see the deranged Austin saying it. Very funny. Did I detect a little bit of heelishness with HBK's words? Or am I pining too hard for HBK heel turn because I am sick of him as a face? I like the whole big talking but a little cowardly Austin. I really do hope he can pull off the win on Sunday.

Pillman/Beniot: I'm glad to see that the "Crippler" is back. I look forward to seeing how far off the handle Pillman will fly.

Johnson/Shamrock v. Corporate: Hmmmm. . . the faces get a clean win right before the PPV. Wrestling logic dictates that means the heels go over at Summerslam. I'm thinking instead it just really shows how much of a B-Team those three heels are at this point. Plus those 3 faces seem in line for big pushes and a loss to these heels would be bad. Especially since Ahmed should be in the title hunt after Summerslam.

Euro title match: Meh, a match between two guys I would normally turn the channel on if they appeared on TV. Arif is kept really strong with a Dusty Finish. Things with Marty and Wright get a little bit of heat added to their PPV match. I'd say this match served it's purpose. I have to say that I'm shocked that Arif is a face. I sort of assumed him as a Pacifist in a wrestling company would make him a heel. Oh well, Fatu is a big man that can work which may lead to a push with McMahon's hoss philosophy. I like Fatu as the wrestler but haven't got into this gimmick yet.

Heating up: Why didn't the announcers show total shock that Cactus was able to stand after being powerbombed off the stage on to concrete???? These guys have been taking beatings that are usually done to write a guy out. I can appreciate you are trying to make these guys seem super tough as nails. At the same time, it really going to desensitize people to big beat downs now. Jesse James is still out after merely being powerbombed through a table. Which makes him sort of weak. If you ever want o take Vader out for a few weeks, you'll now have to shoot him with a cannon and have run over with a mack truck. Even then, it'll only take him out for about an hour or so. Anyway, kidding aside, it's been a pretty wild feud and I'm sure the match will be crazier. It's no DQ right?

Holly v. Waltman: Not sure if having Kanyon being busted open right before his big return is good idea. Though I guess, Kanyon been beaten up for months now thus no point saving his big comm uppance for the PPV. I just wouldn't want to give Kanyon an injury excuse right before the PPV. Plus seems odd to use a 'blood' angle on such a midcard affair. Anyway, Holly gets the win which gives the heels some momentum going into the PPV. It's good that Holly and Kanyon have been getting the rub over two pretty big players.

Interesting: I like the planting of seeds with D Lo and Cloutier. They could have a really good match when it eventually leads to that. Though did Cloutier and Nash even have any resolution? I look forward to seeing who Cloutier uses to go after D Lo.

Who wil Envy?: Meh. Nothing new really explored here. Just some last second hype. You really do like doing the debate style promos for your feuds. It seems like almost every program gets at least one. You should look into trying to freshen up how you do some of the feuds and not make them seem too cookie cutter. Don't want your shows to all become generic. Anyway, Envy could end up being a really interesting stable but losing at Summerslam with the handicap advantage could be a very bad thing.

Main Event: The faces get the big win before the PPV. I'm liking the new ferocity from Goldust. It seems like Helmsly is a little more compliant now. Don't know if that is just the calm before the storm or if he'll end up being a partner for several months now. A decent match up that got the important players invovled before the PPV.

Not the first one scared: Good closing segment. I liked Hart begging to not be in the casket match and going on about it not being fair. It was done really well. I dug that Undertaker didn't say a thing the whole time but let his fists do the talking. I look forward to this match up. I also like no Bearer and his cheesy army!

You've been pulling off some high ratings lately. Good to see. Probably helps that your guys overness seem to be creeping into the 90s now. What is the max you can get on UPN? 6.45 seems pretty good.

Overall an okay pre-PPV effort. The point was to sell SummerSlam and you did that well enough. Keep up the good work.

First off all Baby Hewey,

I like your diary very much,and I like the push you give Alex Wright.I really hope that Alex will win the IC Title.And I read your diary from the beginning,and I saw that you made a tour through Germany.Well,why do you take the TV-Shows to litte towns like "Bayreuth" and "Chemnitz".I mean Munich,Berlin,Hamburg or Cologne would be better places for TV-Shows.And I hope,you make sometimes a PPV in Germany,like the SummerSlam '92(which was in UK).WWE did it bad in Germany.I hope,you make it better.

I see that "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is still a heel.I like the "heel" Stone Cold,but I would find it better if Stone Cold turns face.Maybe he could feud against Bret.I also like the "Bearer"-Storyline.I smell a debut of Kane.If Jacobs(Glen Jacobs???) is Bearer's client,it could become true.I also smell a return of the "Underfaker".But I find it bad,that you will make an Underfaker.You can give Brian Lee a dark gimmick,but not the Undertaker gimmick.

World Wrestling Federation Championship

Casket Match

The Undertaker© Vs. Bret Hart

I think that Bearer will cost The Undertaker the Championship.Maybe Kane will debut.....

Flag Match

"Party Boy" Marty Jannetty© Vs. Alex Wright©

As a German I really hope that "our" Alex will win.Don't understand it wrong,but WCW did it wrong with Alex.

World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Championship

Helmsleydust Vs. Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit©

I liked the Helmsleydust comedy-segment.I can really imagine Hunter in a demolition-attire. :lmao: .But I see Helmsleys future as a single wrestler.

World Wrestling Federation Light Heavyweight Championship

Four Corners Match

Hakushi© Vs. Craig Finney Vs. Chavo Guerrero Vs. Ron Killings

Hakushi will defend his title.

Hardcore Match

Cactus Jack Vs. Vader

This will be a very brutal Match.But Cactus will win.

Two On Three Handicap Match

Kevin Nash and Al Snow Vs. Mr. Perfect, Rocky Maivia and Rick Martel

I think that Nash and Snow will make a victory.Also I hope Rocky gets a singles push

Shawn Michaels Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

1996 was Shawns year.Now 1998 will be "Stone Colds" year.Until that,Stone Cold must be pushed.And he must win against HBK

Chris Kanyon and Hollywood Holly Vs. Scott Hall and Sean Waltman

Hall and Waltman are better than Holly and Kanyon.

British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond Vs. Ahmed Johnson, D'Lo Brown and Ken ShamrockNo comment

So,I will stay tuned in your diary,and you made a well done job.Thumbs up.

P.S:If you need some German words for Alex,I can give you some.I mean,a german speaking Alex could make him more over.;)

IPB Image

Time Slot: Late Evening

Date: August 23, 1997

Attendance: 6,538

Ticket Sales: $261,520

Announcers: Jonathan Coachman and Todd Pettengill

RAW Saturday Night comes on the air with a video package showing great World Wrestling Federation action. When the video ends, We're taken to inside the arena where pyro goes off from the rafters and from the entrance way. We then head over to our announce position where Jonathan Coachman and Todd Pettengill are standing by. They are very excited and hype up tonight's big show.

Luigi Alfredo Rufino Vs. Chris Chetti

Another RSN, Another Rufino win. Chris Chetti from VZF was brought in to be victim number sixty. Chetti gave Rufino a tough fight, But the fans didn't seem to be into it. (forgot to change Chetti to a face) Chetti almost ended Rufino's undefeated streak with a spinning martial arts kick, But Rufino somehow kicked out. Chetti tried to win it with a DDT, But Rufino countered into the Trip To New Jersey and scored the win.

51, 32, 71 3/4*

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Suicide Blonds Vs. The Godwinns

Suicide Blonds carried The Godwinns to a good match up here. The fans were definitely into the Suicide Blonds more than they were into Henry and Phineous. Henry and Phineous wrestled as heels here, Even messing with the crowd. Looks like they're on their way to a heel turn, As the WWF lacks heel tag teams. The Godwinns isolated Christian Cage and beat him down, Using their power over him to keep him grounded. Their advantage didn't last long, As Cage made the hot tag to Copeland, Who entered the ring and cleaned house. Copeland picked up the win over Henry with the Downward Spiral. The Godwinns argued with the referee after the match and slopped him.

77, 73, 82 **3\4

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Hakushi© Vs. Devon Storm

The announcers said Hakushi requested a match before SummerSlam, So he could intimidate his opponents. Of course, Hakushi might have bitten more off than he could chew, As Storm almost came out of RSN with the Light Heavyweight Championship around his waist. Storm gave Hakushi a tough fight twenty four hours before SummerSlam, And almost won the title after powerbombing Hakushi off the middle ropes. Hakushi somehow pulled off the win with a spinning suplex from the top. Hakushi posed with his title and taunted the fans by spitting out red mist.

70, 55, 85 **3\4

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Chavo Guerrero Vs. Nasty Mike

Chavo, Much like Hakushi, Wanted to send out a message to his opponents. Mike jumped Chavo from the get go and gave Chavo a tough fight. One has got to wonder if the WWF will do anything with Mike, As he's a good wrestler, Who seems to have charisma. Nasty Mike had alot of chances to put away Chavo, But he kept stopping to taunt the fans. This allowed Chavo to make a comeback and get the win following a big DDT and then the Frog Splash. Afterwards, Chavo posed and celebrated his victory. Mike got up, Looking like he was going to attack Chavo, But decided to leave the ring instead.

70, 59, 82 **1\2

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Francis Cloutier Vs. John Bradshaw

Hot crowd for this match up. Cloutier seems to be catching on as a heel, Especially now that it seems like he'll be involved in a feud with D'Lo Brown after SummerSlam. Bradshaw didn't waste anytime and jumped Cloutier right from the opening bell. Bradshaw had the advantage early on, But made a mistake, Trying to come off the top with a double ax handle, But Cloutier moved out of the way, And it appeared Bradshaw might have injured his leg. Cloutier pounded down on Bradshaw's leg, Not stopping for a single minute. Bradshaw made a small comeback, Booting Cloutier down. Bradshaw tried for the lariat, But his leg gave out, And he fell down. Cloutier quickly applied the Cruel Intentions, And Bradshaw tapped out.

74, 72, 76 **1/4

COMMERCIAL BREAK

He's coming this Monday night!

WWF Slam Of The Week- Ron Killings powerbombs Johnny Swinger off the top turnbuckle. (Friday Night Mayhem 8/22/97)

D'Lo Brown Vs. Simon Diamond

The main event was to help hype up SummerSlam. The fans were into this match, Giving D'Lo a big ovation as the King Of The Ring made his way down to the ring. Diamond got himself some good heat, But he's nowhere near as over as his former partner, Swinger is. Diamond controlled this match early on, Out wrestling D'Lo, And working over D'Lo's legs and back. Francis Cloutier was shown, Watching this from a monitor in the back. He definitely looked like he was enjoying seeing D'Lo getting pounded down on. Diamond could not keep D'Lo down, And in the end, D'Lo picked up the win with the Sky High. D'Lo Brown celebrated his win as RAW Saturday Night went off the air with the announcers hyping up SummerSlam.

77, 74, 81 **3\4

Overall Rating- 60

TV Rating- 2.59

Competition

Hardcore TV

TV Rating- 2.91

Attendance- 3,509

Ticket Sales- $105,270

Notes

"Devon Storm and Hakushi work pretty well together due to their similar styles." -Pat Patterson

"I was thinking, how about giving me some matches with Sean Waltman? I think we'd be able to do some good work together given the chance." -Rick Martel

"Our ratings battle with Hardcore TV is so close that neither show is gaining a clear advantage!" -Sophie

IPB Image

credit KillingsVSCena for the awesome banner

Date: August 24, 1997

Final Card

• World Wrestling Federation Championship

Casket Match

• World Wrestling Federation Intercontinental Championship

Flag Match

• World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Championship

• World Wrestling Federation Light Heavyweight Championship

Four Corners Match

• Hardcore Match

Cactus Jack Vs. Vader

• Two On Three Handicap Match

• Shawn Michaels Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

• Chris Kanyon and Hollywood Holly Vs. Scott Hall and Sean Waltman

• British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond Vs. Ahmed Johnson, D'Lo Brown and Ken Shamrock

Tie Breakers

1. What will be the first match of the night?

2. Which match will get the best match quality in EWR?

3. Which match will get the worst match quality in EWR?

4. How many titles will change hands? (titles can't change hands by DQ, No contests, Etc)

5. What's going to be the match before the main event?

6. Will anyone debut? And if so, Who's debuting?

7. Who will take the fall in the four corners match? (who will be the loser)

8. Who will take the fall in the handicap match? (who will be the loser)

Remember to post reasons for your predictions (Y)

Casket Match

Wow... uh... I got no clue. Overall neither has gotten a huge advantage over the month. Bret Hart has done his attacks on Undertaker through the month, but Taker has seemed more concerned with Bearer/Jacobs/Lee. I can really see either guy winning. If Taker loses the belt, it can give proof to Bearer's claim that Taker needs him. I can also see Jacobs doing the interference and causing Taker to lose. As for Bret, all his intensity that he had at the beginning of the month just sorta vanished at the end after the match was announced as a casket match. I don't really know, but I think I'll had it to Bret to end Taker's reign.

Winner: Bret Hart

Flag Match

Argh... Jannetty won the belt during the battle royale. Ok, I would much perfer Jannetty to lose here and with the little conversation where Jannetty said they should just toss the belts makes me think he might. But considering he just won the belt, I don't know if you're going to give him a under one month title run, which makes me tempted to go with him to win. But I don't like Jannetty... so I vote Alex Wright.

Winner: Alex Wright

The crippler is back, which kills my thought that Golddust's intensity would be what gave them the titles. This would be the match I'd probably buy the PPV for, just cause I love everyone in it. Pillman and Beniot have been solid champs for a while, but as you mentioned on RSN, you have few heel tag teams, so there would be no one for Helmsleydust to face. So I'm putting my money on the champs to retein which will build to an eventual Helmsley heel turn.

Winners: Brian Pillman and Chris Beniot

Four Corners Match

This one doesn't seem hard to me. Hakushi for the win. Craig Finney means nothing to me, he doesn't feel like championship material. I feel the same about Ron Killings. As much he's gotten some nice in-ring wins, he has had no big angles to back up his push. I could see Chavo getting the rub and winning the title... but I see Hakushi holding the title to lose it to the debuting lightweight you've been hyping for a long time.

Winner: Hakushi

Hardcore Match

Cactus Jack Vs. Vader

Cactus Jack against Vader in a hardcore match. Well... Foley doesn't really need ears. Ok, I think I'll give it to Vader. Even though Cactus just returned, his character is that in which he could probably keep his heat even if he lost. That and I've voted all heels until now.

Winner: Vader

I want Envy to win. I really do. I want to see Rocky demolish Nash and pin him once more. But it's not happening. I really see this match going to Nash and Snow after a hard fought battle. They are going to go through Envy's cheating ways and Snow is going to pull out a big win over Martel. I think. I don't know, I'm sorta split. Rocky's wins over Nash seem like they'd be nothing if he was just dominated in this match, but then I really don't see you having Snow lose. Well, I dunno, so I'm flipping a coin.

Winners: Mr. Perfect, Rocky Maivia and Rick Martel

Michaels agianst Austin... hmm. I really don't know. I can actually see this going to a draw of some sort. Double count out, double DQ, time limit. I can really see these two pulling out all the stops and neither winning. Both have been built up strongly, but I think I'll give it to Austin. Even though he pulled the big win over Michaels on RAW, Michaels drilled him with the Sweet Chin Music on Mayhem and would have gotten the win if Austin had been the legal man, so they're tied on that aspect. Plus I really wanna see Austin as world champ.

Winner: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

The returning Kanyon is the only reason I can see the heels winning. And still, I really don't see them going over Hall and Waltman. A former WWF champ losing to a pair who haven't held a major title between them? No, I don't see it happening.

Winners: Scott Hall and Sean Waltman

British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond Vs. Ahmed Johnson, D'Lo Brown and Ken Shamrock

Simon Diamond really isn't as over and hasn't been built as strongly as everyone else and I don't see Yokozuna doing that much. That being said, I want the heels to win. Simply because I don't want to see the faces win. Johnson has been built as a main event worker, but I still don't see D'Lo or Shamrock as very strong. I mean, D'Lo is about to start a feud with Cloutier, which I see him jobbing in, so why give him a rub before that? And I just don't like Shamrock much, no matter how strongly he is built. So I predict the heels by some interference.

Winners: British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond

Tie Breakers

1. What will be the first match of the night? Kanyon and Holly VS Hall and Waltman

2. Which match will get the best match quality in EWR? Michaels VS Austin

3. Which match will get the worst match quality in EWR? Bulldog/Yoko/Diamond VS Johnson/D'Lo/Shamrock

4. How many titles will change hands? (titles can't change hands by DQ, No contests, Etc) 2

5. What's going to be the match before the main event? Michaels VS Austin

6. Will anyone debut? And if so, Who's debuting? No one

7. Who will take the fall in the four corners match? (who will be the loser) Killings

8. Who will take the fall in the handicap match? (who will be the loser) Nash

Casket Match

I think Undertaker is a weak champion in genera and has been ever since the start of his reign. Bret will create better feuds and matches with others than the Undertaker would.

Flag Match

Alex Wright is a better character all together and I feel that he has more ability to do what Jannetty can not do.

I don't see these two losing the titles for awhile. They are a great technically sound solid team and I feel they will have one of the longest reigns to date.

Four Corners Match

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out but in the end I think Hakushi is the better of any of the four to win. I don't see any of those besides Chavo to carry the belt.

Hardcore Match

Cactus Jack Vs. Vader

He's the King of Hardcore...Plain and Simple.

I think in the beginning of the match the power will be towards the three men but Nash will have enough power to pull it off.

Not really much reason for this except I am a mark.

Kanyon and Holly definately have a brighter future and will go over Hall and Waltman. Hall's character used to be huge but now I think its diminishing rapidly.

British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond Vs. Ahmed Johnson, D'Lo Brown and Ken Shamrock

More Power in the first team. Yokozuna will destroy everyone.

Tie Breakers

1. What will be the first match of the night? Kanyon and Holly v Hall and Waltman

2. Which match will get the best match quality in EWR? Tag Champ Match

3. Which match will get the worst match quality in EWR? 6 Man Tag

4. How many titles will change hands? (titles can't change hands by DQ, No contests, Etc)

5. What's going to be the match before the main event? 1

6. Will anyone debut? And if so, Who's debuting? No

7. Who will take the fall in the four corners match? (who will be the loser) Chavo

8. Who will take the fall in the handicap match? (who will be the loser) Rocky

Casket Match

The Undertaker© Vs. Bret Hart - This sets the seeds for the Hart/Michaels match I'm predicting at Survivor Series. As well as that it allows The Undertaker to feud with Jacobs/Lee without the title being dragged down to a midcard feud

Flag Match

"Party Boy" Marty Jannetty© Vs. Alex Wright© - I don't really want to see either man as a double champion, mainly because I ain't digging this feud. Jannetty only just won the title, and that's my logic for picking him to retain

Helmsleydust Vs. Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit© - This is the night where Helmsley turns on Goldust. A stable of Helmsley, Benoit and Pillman would own and I'm thinking of the psychological mind games the team can play on Goldy. Just out of curiousity, has your plan of where to take the Helmsley and Goldust saga changed at all since it started

Four Corners Match

Hakushi© Vs. Craig Finney Vs. Chavo Guerrero Vs. Ron Killings - I'm thinking this debuting superstar is going to be a face (Rey Misterio) and he would be set up nicely to challenge a heel champion

Hardcore Match

Cactus Jack Vs. Vader - Don't know why really, and to be honest I'm not really bothered about this feud. Just seems too thrown together

Kevin Nash and Al Snow Vs. Mr. Perfect, Rocky Maivia and Rick Martel - The heels have to go over otherwise they will lose a lot of credibility. The three man stable is genious though

Shawn Michaels Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin - If my prediction of Michaels/Hart for title at Survivor Series is true, then HBK needs to win all the big matches between now and then. A defeat wouldn't hurt Austin either

Chris Kanyon and Hollywood Holly Vs. Scott Hall and Sean Waltman - Kanyons in-ring return and the fact Hall might be on his way out leads me to believe the heels will go over here.

British Bulldog, Mr. Yokozuna and Simon Diamond Vs. Ahmed Johnson, D'Lo Brown and Ken Shamrock - This may become another handicap match, because I see Cloutier attacking D'Lo backstage. Either way Cloutier will play a part in the match and lead to a heel win

Tie Breakers

1. What will be the first match of the night? Kanyon/Holly Vs Hall/Waltman

2. Which match will get the best match quality in EWR? Steve Austin Vs Shawn Michae;s

3. Which match will get the worst match quality in EWR? 6 Man Tag Team Match

4. How many titles will change hands? (titles can't change hands by DQ, No contests, Etc) 1

5. What's going to be the match before the main event? Austin/Michaels

6. Will anyone debut? And if so, Who's debuting? No

7. Who will take the fall in the four corners match? (who will be the loser) Killings

8. Who will take the fall in the handicap match? (who will be the loser) Nash

Casket Match

Winner: Bret, someone will assist Bret in winning

Flag Match

Winner: Jannety, I don't think he will lose the title so soon even though he has a history of short title reigns

Winners: Pillman & Benoit, I think this is the night that Hunter breaks the team up

Four Corners Match

Winner: Hakushi, no reason for this pick

Hardcore Match

Cactus Jack Vs. Vader

Winner: Vader, Jack is crazy but his track record vs Vader ain't too good

Winners: Perfect, Rocky, Martel. The two vets of the team have enough cheap tricks up their sleeves

Winner: HBK, if he will feud with Bret next he's needs a big win

Winners: Hall & Waltman, no way they will lose

Winners: Ahmed, D'Lo, Shamrock, so the D Lo push can continue

Tie Breakers

1. What will be the first match of the night? 6 Man Tag

2. Which match will get the best match quality in EWR? Michaels-Austin

3. Which match will get the worst match quality in EWR? 6 Man Tag

4. How many titles will change hands? (titles can't change hands by DQ, No contests, Etc) 2

5. What's going to be the match before the main event? Michaels-Austin

6. Will anyone debut? And if so, Who's debuting? Yes, not sure who

8. Who will take the fall in the handicap match? (who will be the loser) Snow

Rufino v. Chetti: The non-sensical push of the man with wrestling's silliest name continues. That may have been the most non-sensical sentence I've ever typed. What is the 'Trip to New Jersey'? Other than the worse finishing name around. ;) It's good to see Chetti get some offense but if you're going to keep Rufini undefeated than you need to really push this guy. He needs to start showing up on Raw or Mayhem and getting wins that matter. Or even having a program for him would be good. At this point, his wins aren't really doing anything for his career in WWF. If you have nothing for him or don't really want to push him too hard, I just wonder why he has this huge win streak.

Blonds v. Godwinns: A Godwinn heel turn can only be a good thing. There current gimmick just doesn't fit with this time period anymore. Is Hillbilly Jim still with them? You definitely should keep Godwinns around since there high tag experience should always mean decent match quality.

Hakushi v. Storm: I originally misread one of the lines and thought it said Storm walked out of RSN with the title. I was completely shocked you did such a ballsy move on the C-show right before the PPV. I then realized, I can't read and I was totally wrong. Good to see Storm push Hakishi to the limits and maybe he can start getting a push in the LH division. I also like Hakushi having the whole blowing mist gimmick. I've always thought it was cool ever since Killer Kahn did it way back in the day. Yes, I'm dating myself.

Chavo v. Mike: You got to love RSN with all the LH matches. It's definitely the work rate show. Still disheartening that the crowd responses are still so low. These guys deserve so much more than being relegated to RSN. Hopefully, the four way can steal the show at Summerslam and lead to a better push for the division. I'm also fine with Mikey getting a push but he needs a less bush league name.

Cloutier v. Bradshaw: Poor Justin gone from being on a PPV to jobbing on RSN. Though it looks like you gave Bradshaw an 'injury' in order for the hoss to keep some heat. Cloutier is gold and deserves a solid push. I do look forward to Cloutier v. D Lo. I'm sure Bradshaw will get another push soon because afterall, he is a hoss.

DLo v. Diamond: So the face side of the six man scores another win. I'm beginning to think the heel may win the six man except I just can't see that happening. It was good to see these guys get the main event slot. A nice preview for a SummerSlam match even if it's the big throw away match on the PPV.

I'm glad you agree with the 'debate style' angle in feuds. I look forward to seeing what changes you implement for the next set of feuds. It should be a interesting time after Summerslam for sure.

Now it's time for SummerSlam predictions:

Casket Match

I'm thinking it's time to close the door on the Undertaker title reign. Bret Hart is the new top heel and he needs a big win. I think, Bret with the title opens up a lot of possible challengers and feuds. It's looking like Undertaker is entering into a feud with Bearer's Army and at this point, it looks like a bunch of guys that don't deserve to be in the title scene. I'm thinking Jacob's will interfere at Summerslam and help shove 'Taker into the casket. Probably 'Taker will disappear for a bit but then return from the dead in time for revenge at the next PPV. Exactly how WWF likes to do their 'Taker storyline. I'm sure I'll have lots of snarky remarks regarding it all.

Flag Match

Wright has had the title for awhile but Marty is still a brand new champion. I'm guessing, Marty isn't losing the title this soon and Wright will move on to bigger things (because you heart Wright). I don't know what will end up happening with the Euro title, maybe a tourney?

I'm thinking, Goldust gets his revenge on Pillman. HelmsleyDust will have a very short title reign but right now, Goldust needs to win his feud with the evil tag champs. I'm guessing Hunter will turn shortly but not tonight. Instead, they will win the titles and seem like a united group. Without Marlena, Hunter can manipulate Goldust for a while more. Eventually, Hunter will sicken of being with Goldust and show his true colours. I think, the storyline works best if Goldust eventually stands up to Hunter rather than Hunter just turning on Goldust. Either way, tonight will be a good night for the Golden one.

Four Corners Match

I'm thinking, Hakushi's time is up as champ. He hasn't really caught the world on fire. I could see the title transitioning over to Finney. I'm picking Killings because he seems really over and he is a brand new face to elevate. Should be a great match.

Hardcore Match

Cactus Jack Vs. Vader

It's time to permanently move Cactus to the main event scene. He needs a big win over Vader. I wouldn't be surprised if this was only the beginning of this feud.

Not the best way to establish the new heel faction but I'm sensing a win for the faces. It'll be a whole fighting against the odds type of story. I'm sure the Envy will get revenge the next night on Raw. Tonight, Nash gets some revenge on the loud mouthed Pebble.

It's not the ending I want. I am sensing that Stone Cold has gotten the edge too often leading into this PPV. Austin will put up a hell of fight but HBK will walk out the better man. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the end of the feud, though.

It's Kanyon's return thus I predict a big upset win for him. I also think he will end up pinning Hall. It will be a good chance to start elevating the man who has Creative Control and an unsackable contract.

It's the B-Team v. the heavily pushed faces. This match is a gimme. I see no reason for the heels to win here. Ahmed is moving on to the World title scene. D'Lo is rapidly elevating up the ladder. Shamrock always seems to be in a decent spot. I see the B-teamers continuing their jobbing ways.

Tie Breakers

1. What will be the first match of the night? Flag match - Wright v. Marty

2. Which match will get the best match quality in EWR? Michaels v. Austin

3. Which match will get the worst match quality in EWR? 6 man tag

4. How many titles will change hands? (titles can't change hands by DQ, No contests, Etc) 4

5. What's going to be the match before the main event? Austin v. Michaels

6. Will anyone debut? And if so, Who's debuting? no

7. Who will take the fall in the four corners match? (who will be the loser) Hakushi

8. Who will take the fall in the handicap match? (who will be the loser) Rocky