Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give up on grass monotype. They're just way too weak defensively, and aren't compensated in offence. Like - ground, rock and water? Ground and rock are much better covered by water and water is better covered by electric. Literally its only use offensively is to take out bulky ground/water types.

Digimon tends to have some higher highs in its anime, whereas Pokemon sticks to a much safer formula. Both are mostly episodic, but the two Digimon films directed by Hosoda are the best of their kind. And I've not watched the Digimon Adventure tri. movies that have recently come out but they've gotten a ton of buzz on Twitter accounts I follow for what it's worth.

13 hours ago, Benji said:

I give up on grass monotype. They're just way too weak defensively, and aren't compensated in offence. Like - ground, rock and water? Ground and rock are much better covered by water and water is better covered by electric. Literally its only use offensively is to take out bulky ground/water types.

I gave it one last run last night and found a decent balance. Probably not going to even bat .500 with it, but it's the best I'm going to do with all those weaknesses I think.

1 hour ago, apsham said:

I don't think I can remember a thing about Digimon other than an episode where they are in a desert and then there's a bus there or something?

I think you just mixed episodes two and three, if I remember correctly. Episode two they're in a desert and find phone boxes, episode three they camp in an abandoned bus and Seadramon attacks them. (Fuck, my inner nerd just escaped. Brb.)

• Like 1

I now have one of every single Pokémon (including evolutionary stages) except for Victini, Arceus, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect and Volcanion, all of which have events this year. First time I'll have ever 100%'d the dex to absolute completion. SuMo will throw it off, but I'm counting it as a win :D 

• Like 3

Two things I really want from SuMo.

1 - an actual rival. None of this friend bullshit, no "teehee I think I like like you so let's watch fireworks" romance bullshit. Just a rival, who is a total dick, and who I can beat over and over again until he learns his lesson. He can be nice to his Pokémon and a dick to me, or he can be a dick to everything, I don't care, just give me someone who isn't a push over and who it's a pleasure to beat.

2 - an evil Team that comes across as a threat or feels like they have a reason. Team Flare was by far the weakest evil team they have ever done.

• Team Rocket? "Steal all the Pokémon for money!".
  • Neo Team Rocket? "Revive Team Rocket and steal Pokémon for money!"!
  • Team Aqua/Magma? "Expand sea/land to take control of Hoenn for power!".
  • Team Galactic? "Control time and space itself".
  • Team Plasma? "Free all Pokémon and/or take control of all Unova by getting trainers to sever their bonds with Pokémon!".
  • Team Flare? "... I dunno, let's make things look pretty I guess"?

X/Y's gameplay was my favourite in the series by far (could have done with a difficulty bump, but at the end of the day it's a game that kids play), but its story left a lot to be desired.

Plasma were great. I don't know if I ever felt like they were a big threat until right at the end, when N manages to become Champion and stuff and then the fight with Ghetsis. But I felt the whole message etc. was great.

• Like 1

Plasma were by far my favourite story. Black and White weren't fantastic gameplay wise (though I did adore the fact you could only catch Pokémon from that region initially, it made it feel like the first time I played Blue), but that story is by far the best they have ever done.

On a sidebar, I love my Pokémon Showdown Hawlucha. It's not great as an all round Pokémon, but it's totally got that clutch role down. Substitute to protect it and reduce it's health so Unburden ability releases double speed and with Sitrus Berry it restores it back to three quarters health, Swords Dance if there's a chance to boost attack, and once sub is down that double powered Acrobatics (because no held item) or High Jump Kick STAB double header sweeps a lot of Pokémon, especially since many are slightly weakened by earlier Pokémon.

So I was thinking about doing another Cube Pokémon tournament and perhaps making it Gen 1 centric, including using RBY's mechanics. I feel like that would level the playing field a lot too as there's far less complexities in Gen 1. How many would be interested? It'd probably be a knockout tournament of some kind in order to keep only interested players in.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Benji said:

So I was thinking about doing another Cube Pokémon tournament and perhaps making it Gen 1 centric, including using RBY's mechanics. I feel like that would level the playing field a lot too as there's far less complexities in Gen 1. How many would be interested? It'd probably be a knockout tournament of some kind in order to keep only interested players in.

You know I'm down. :(Y):