Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my workaround is going to be just seeing if my daughter wants to get a copy--she can get X and I can get Y or vice-versa.

DAMN IT NINTENDO THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANTED ISN'T IT.

Oh yeah my friend code is 2921-9601-3782. Add me if you have New Leaf as well, I need a place to unload these perfect peaches. :shifty:

Love the new region, love the new look, love the new sound... hate the lack of new Pokémon. I just beat the first gym (it was insultingly easy even just using the one starter that had a type disadvantage) and at least half of the Pokémon I've encountered are from old gens.

So far Chespin is my only regular team member, I was going to go with Pikachu, but he's boring. Currently got the event Torchic, a traded Farfetch'd and the Pikachu in slots in my team, but I've had no inkling to use them.

Also, where do you find friend codes?

Man, you guys are getting way ahead of me. I'm taking my fun time and trying to find and catch as much as possible, whilst leveling. I've played five-six hours and barely just left the first proper town. :P

Anyone else notice some slight frame drops every so often when battling?

EDIT: Scratch that, 6 and a half hours and I had gone the wrong way, so I'm just now taking my first steps outside the city with the first gym! OH MY GOD IT'S RIDING A FLOWER

I'm definitely enjoying it - there's no doubt about that - but it kind of feels a bit like it's all going through the motions. The story is very bizarrely paced, particularly with the stuff between the first and second gyms and it's holding your hand so much throughout the game, even more so than Black2/White2 which were insane for that. Perhaps it's because Team Plasma were arguably the best villains you've ever faced in a game before, I kind of feel like Team Flare are way too generic despite having much more diabolical plans.

I do like being able to use some of the older Gen I Pokémon though, but there are some things which feel so much like unnecessary add-ons it's untrue, like Sky Battles, the riding Rhyhorn stuff and to a degree, the poorly planned out horde battles. They're either boring or ridiculously unfair - like having 3 Scraggy using Sand Attack on turn one, so if you don't have a lead that can hit all of them you're kind of screwed if you have to switch out. The Seviper-Zangoose one is hilarious though.

That being said, some of the little details are fucking incredible. Zigzagoon zig-zagging is wonderful, Braixen's Ember attack is a sight to behold and Psyduck holding its head in pain when it uses Confusion is spot on. The PSS is very good and Super Training is way more fun than it has any right to be.

Also: going to add everyone on the thread now that I don't already have.

EDIT: One other thing: EXP Share is stupidly overpowered. I got to the second gym, having not done any grinding in particular, and was about 3 levels above the Gym Leader.

I ended up going with Fennekin after sitting at the starter selection for a good 10-15 minutes. Kind of glad I did, though now I already have two fire types and I can't get Fletchling because of it :(

Has anyone run into a Pikachu yet? Because it has the best cry in the game.

I LOVE the Exp Share in this game. One thing that got boring about the games was the amount of grinding you had to do. This makes it a bit easier and lets me enjoy the game more I think.

Also, my friend code is 1418-7764-5015. Added everyone else thus far.

Edited by Vitamin E

If I hadn't been out of the Pokemon loop for like 5 years I'd probably be having way less fun. But it's enough of a jump in detail and graphics that there's so much to enjoy just visually that it's not boring, plus I haven't had a Pokemon experience and years and this is the perfect combination of homage and introduction. There's tons of subtle details in it, like catching a Pikachu in the first forest of the game, finding Abra on the second route out of town (and NEVER BEING ABLE TO CATCH IT WHEN IT ACTUALLY SHOWS UP) and so on. Meeting all these Pokemon I've never seen or just missed out on is so fun, too. It's really like playing it for the first time again. I really just want to catch everything and then level it up to see what it evolves into. I wish there was a way of finding out how many evolutions each Pokemon has without ruining what the evolution is.

Is there anywhere with a list of catchable Pokemon on each area? Want to know if I've missed much yet.

The small details are amazing. When you heal at a Pokemon center, the Pokemon being healed actually show up on the blue screen above the counter. Also, the difference between evolutions using a move are fantastic. Fennekin? Normal ember from its mouth. Braixon? Uses the stick to shoot Ember out. The move animations alone are just beautiful.

Thus far, my team is Braixon, Charmeleon, Flabebe, Pancham, Pikachu, and Furfrou. Pikachu and Furfrou I probably won't keep (only wanted Furfrou for data and because you can trim it), but Pikachu will do decent for water Pokemon for now.

I have Hawk Hogan.

Though I'm now struggling in the meantime in that I have too many Pokémon for my team.

I've got Hawlucha, Pikachu, Braixen, Psyduck, Ivysaur and Honedge on my team as it stands, with Combusken (with the Blazikenite) and Vespiquen in the box. Will probably find two to drop by the time it gets deeper in game...