Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my Abra. My team right now is Froie the Froakie, Swordchucks the Honedge, BobDolebasaur the Ivysaur, Combusken the Combusken That I Haven't Renamed Yet, Encarta the Kadabra, and Snorlax. Whom I will not rename. He shall be called Snorlax.

Did it take anyone else a dog's age to get to the second gym? I haven't gotten my fossils yet and my Mons are pushing right up against level 30, so I'm worried there may be INSURRECTION.

I think I was nearing 30 if I wasn't there already. The game as a whole takes longer to get from place to place. My Chesnaught's at L70 and I haven't even faced the Elite Four yet.

My team is around the 45 mark for the most part and I just made it to Laverre Town. Regarding Route 14...

did anyone tip the guy after his story in the Scary House, and if so did anything special happen?

Got myself a Goomy as well :D Don't plan on using it during the playthrough (alreading have Mega 'zard and Tyrantrum for Dragon types), but I have it out of the way now. Also, fuck the Lumiose Badlands. Wild battles pissed me off <_<

Edited by Vitamin E

Anyone who has Tyrunt (which I'm assuming is most people) - I got the opposite fossil so that we can trade. I'll get back to the breeding centre soon if people are free to trade. About to take on 2nd gym.

Current team:

Chester the Chespin Lv32

Charlie the Charmander Lv33

Hiro the Espurr Lv20 (re-named after one of my cats, since Charlie was also named for one of them, it's movepool seems poor at the moment though)

Buster The Honedge (Lv 23)

aaaaand...

Hawkharma the Hawlucha Lv23 (named for Kharma, since it was female).

Dropped Ninjask and Nincada because I realised how poor they were. Also briefly tried out the fossil but it's ability actually turned it into more of a problem than a solution.

Oh, and RE: Pokémon rebelling around Lv30 without that badge - it's only traded Pokémon that ever do that. Your own Pokémon won't disobey.

I struggled because it had Take Down, Aurora Beam, and Icy Wind plus a non-damaging move, but thanks to it's ability Take Down was ice too, so it sucked out loud because I have my options on switching out as "Set" rather than "Shift" (more of a challenge) and kept coming up against water types that ice is useless against. I've just read that it has AncientPower and Hyper Beam, which would be a solid offensive start, so I think I'll give it a second shot tonight.

The cool thing about that fossil Pokemon is that it learns an Ice move that is supereffective against Water types, so it would be pretty good to keep for that. Not sure when it learns it, though. I mainly chose Tyrunt because Tyrantrum is too awesome a name (plus Rock/Dragon type is new and I love me some new dual types). I'm also using the "Set" battle thing. I don't think it has been too much more of a challenge for me, but having a good 5-10 (sometimes 15) levels on the opponent during battles probably helps with that.

Edited by Vitamin E
  • Like 1

I bought it - and the console - after watching my girlfriend play it for all of five minutes.

What put me off about other Pokémon games I tried to play - Platinum, especially - was that they just felt off. I hadn't played since Blue, and they still felt enough like Blue, but with a bunch of new stuff just tacked on there and not especially well integrated.

This is the first Pokémon game I've really seen that feels like they've set about building it from scratch. It feels like a whole new game, not just another token update. And, to me, that makes it feel more accessible because I don't feel like I need to have been playing the series all along to get it. The formula's still there, but it's been prettied up and shuffled around, and it's a whole lot more welcoming and appealing because of it.

I bought it - and the console - after watching my girlfriend play it for all of five minutes.

What put me off about other Pokémon games I tried to play - Platinum, especially - was that they just felt off. I hadn't played since Blue, and they still felt enough like Blue, but with a bunch of new stuff just tacked on there and not especially well integrated.

This is the first Pokémon game I've really seen that feels like they've set about building it from scratch. It feels like a whole new game, not just another token update. And, to me, that makes it feel more accessible because I don't feel like I need to have been playing the series all along to get it. The formula's still there, but it's been prettied up and shuffled around, and it's a whole lot more welcoming and appealing because of it.

Ironically, this is my biggest complaint about it: parts of it just feel really antiquated. The "but so-and-so can't learn more than four moves!" menu is exactly the same as it was in the first generation (aside from actually telling you what moves do, which is so goddamn nice). There's not a button to just manage your storage boxes and instead you have to deal with cumbersome, separate (!!!) Deposit and Withdraw menus. It has a serious case of Star Fox Adventures Syndrome and takes fucking years to pick up mundane items.

The actual "catching and finding mons" part of the game is fun but the interface is so, so, so very fucked.

Also I can't find that wrestling hawk, where is the wrestling hawk.