Doctor Who

Dingle

Well, I thought Gridlock was dead good. It had a kind of claustrophobic, almost bottle-show feel to it despite being quite big in scope, and the focus was for once taken off of the baddies (useful, as the monsters weren't up to much) and instead put onto the characters. The guest cast was quite good, I wasn't too fond of the carjacking couple but Ardal O'Hanlon was really good I thought. The whole idea of The Doctor's relationship with Martha up to that point came up for some good examination, and perhaps goes some way to explaining why it felt a bit awkward in the first two episodes.

The last 5-10 minutes, with the fate of New New York, the Face of Boe's final message (I'm owed so much money!) and the Doctor finally opening up about what Gallifrey was like, was really well executed. You really felt for him there, and Tennant earns his status as the leading man of the best show on British television once more - last week he held a struggling episode together, this week he elevates a good episode to great with one perfect, perfect scene.

I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to next week's due to...

DALEKS!

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't even see it, I was at work earlier, and I'm going out tomorrow evening! My mum says it sucked if that helped, but she can't even tell me generally what happened or what the big secret was, so I'll take what she says with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Mushiking timmayy

It was an obvious message, but it was GREAT.

I really enjoyed this episode and my mate, who has only just started watching Dr. Who, marked out at the idea of next weeks baddies. I can't wait for next week and FINALLY we got The Doctor talking about Gallifrey, because it's been built up and built up and actually meant something when he revealed stuff about it.

I don't actually recall the red grass bit, but I do recall people living outside of the city and so it's probably true.

I wonder if the Bad Wolf stuff is to do with The Master, or if that's gonna be another big baddie. I pray we get a new Rani too, but I doubt it.

Hey (don't really post here alot but..) I liked the episode (never seena pre-2005 Dr Who BTW) but it was great final to see an angry 10th Doctor as well as setting Martha up for next week. My fav bit is that The Doctor stills thinks he's right and the face of boe is wrong

I'm convinced that the "You are not alone" message has something to do with the contrasting visuals of the Doctor in the first episode. The was a scene where he was outside the hospital, and yet he stated he had been inside, and then later one in which he had a very nasty scowl as he walked through the corridors in a dressing gown, and yet in the next scene he appeared in he was still in bed.

In short, I think we have two doctors. Which should be very, very confusing indeed.

I'm convinced that the "You are not alone" message has something to do with the contrasting visuals of the Doctor in the first episode. The was a scene where he was outside the hospital, and yet he stated he had been inside, and then later one in which he had a very nasty scowl as he walked through the corridors in a dressing gown, and yet in the next scene he appeared in he was still in bed.

In short, I think we have two doctors. Which should be very, very confusing indeed.

A random theory I've read on another board is that it could be The Master working on a different time path to The Doctor. As in The Master is still dead from the time he got eaten by the Tardis but this is before that, so The Doctor knows he is the last of the Timelord but is technically not alone.

Like I said, random theory.

You mean the guy that stopped Martha in the street in the first scene? That was explained at the end of that episode, where the doctor used the TARDIS to prove he could travel in time. It was right at the end, and he went back to before they met that day to prove he could do it.

Being in the U.S., I can't see the episodes until the Sci-Fi Channel picks them up (damn BBC America for not airing it!), but one of the rumors I've heard about the Master is

that Derek Jacobi, who is slated to appear on the show sometime during the season, will be playing the Master. I hope its not true, because NOBODY will ever make a better Master than Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley, and if another Time Lord does pop up alive, I'd rather it be one that isn't a villain.

I enjoyed the episode, which, lets face it, was just a vehicle for the Face of Bo/Doctor finale. It had a nice claustraphobic feel to it, though I would have probably preferred it over 2 episodes, maybe. (Though, I'd prefer it if most Dr. Who eps were 2 parts and the 'big' ones 3).

As for The Master stuff...

Yeah, John Simm from Life on Mars is meant to be playing him.