Doctor Who

Dingle

Sure you haven't massively misread that? Wasn't it just that they now realised the DNA of humans isn't dead gasmask people, and he was chuffed on grounds that he'd just saved the entire human race? Based on the fact the next episode advert was back in the present and humans were humans.

Best part of the episode: His 'bananas are good' line in exactly the same tone as his 'woods good' speech in Gone in Sixty Seconds. Woods good, woods warm. Gold.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure you haven't massively misread that? Wasn't it just that they now realised the DNA of humans isn't dead gasmask people, and he was chuffed on grounds that he'd just saved the entire human race? Based on the fact the next episode advert was back in the present and humans were humans.

Best part of the episode: His 'bananas are good' line in exactly the same tone as his 'woods good' speech in Gone in Sixty Seconds. Woods good, woods warm. Gold.

They are humans you fool, they contain Time Lord DNA, why do you think Time Lords look so similar to humans?

I've just been thinking, the Nanos were able to bring the kid back to life, right and are now able to cure all the diseases to make people better, right. Does that mean humans are now immortal?

To be fair on this sries, although I've enjoyed it a lot I'd prefer it if it was a little more random, so far it's been pretty much "name a year and lets see whats happening at home shall we?" I want to see the doctor touring far off galaxies and always going where there is an emergency, so far it looks like he's just been lucky.

I didn't understand what Colly said AT ALL, but hopefully Benji answered it.

Yeh, I compared this series to that of Jon Pertwee's first because both are pretty much centred around Earth. Hopefully we move from Earth very soon, if not, then next series.

Guest British CitiZen

I think you guys have slightly misunderstood the role of nanogenes, they just repair any damaged (ie peice of the body which doesnt fit with what their idea of a body is like - roses hands, the doctors finger) They can be trained to understand what is the right DNA (for example, on that warship, the nanogenes could repair both humans and timelords, and presumably other beings timeagents etc. Whereas on the warship ambulance, they did not have the humans DNA, thus when they first came into contact with the first human - the injured boy with the gas mask on, they took his DNA as the right DNA for all humankind...thus people started to become "infected" and have gas masks for faces)

From the actual episode, we learn that the nanogenes can change what they have learnt by meeting the parent of the first species they come into, the mother of the child with the gasmask (they share the same DNA - or very clsoe at least), they then understand that they have got it wrong, and in the episode they change their knowledge of what a humans dna is actually like, and thus the boy with the gasmask as a face, becomes human again. And when the doctor captures the nanogenes (or summons the nanogenes to his hands, so he can "thrust" them towards the people with gas masks for faces), the nanogenes do not take his DNA, because after all, he is not the parent of either the boy of the mother (he is a timelord not human, aswell as not having the same DNA) and when he says its time for a software upgrade (or patch) he's simply refering to the fact that the nanogenes now know the right DNA for humans and the people with gas masks for faces can now become human again, aswell as having their bodies completely fixed (woman's leg grew back)

I think you guys have slightly misunderstood the role of nanogenes, they just repair any damaged (ie peice of the body which doesnt fit with what their idea of a body is like - roses hands, the doctors finger) They can be trained to understand what is the right DNA (for example, on that warship, the nanogenes could repair both humans and timelords, and presumably other beings timeagents etc. Whereas on the warship ambulance, they did not have the humans DNA, thus when they first came into contact with the first human - the injured boy with the gas mask on, they took his DNA as the right DNA for all humankind...thus people started to become "infected" and have gas masks for faces)

From the actual episode, we learn that the nanogenes can change what they have learnt by meeting the parent of the first species they come into, the mother of the child with the gasmask (they share the same DNA - or very clsoe at least), they then understand that they have got it wrong, and in the episode they change their knowledge of what a humans dna is actually like, and thus the boy with the gasmask as a face, becomes human again. And when the doctor captures the nanogenes (or summons the nanogenes to his hands, so he can "thrust" them towards the people with gas masks for faces), the nanogenes do not take his DNA, because after all, he is not the parent of either the boy of the mother (he is a timelord not human, aswell as not having the same DNA) and when he says its time for a software upgrade (or patch) he's simply refering to the fact that the nanogenes now know the right DNA for humans and the people with gas masks for faces can now become human again, aswell as having their bodies completely fixed (woman's leg grew back)

You gave yourself the exact answer, the nanogenes can be taught to learn a species, it can be taught a parent, the Doc is half-human, half-Time Lord, he managed to manipulate them into believing that he was the 'parent' (with him being far older than the rest of them). The Time Lords have always been human, or some advanced form of human, that is obvious, but what if they came about through inter-breeding with other species (that is what the Doc's "Dancing" comment meant).

Guest British CitiZen

You gave yourself the exact answer, the nanogenes can be taught to learn a species, it can be taught a parent, the Doc is half-human, half-Time Lord, he managed to manipulate them into believing that he was the 'parent' (with him being far older than the rest of them). The Time Lords have always been human, or some advanced form of human, that is obvious, but what if they came about through inter-breeding with other species (that is what the Doc's "Dancing" comment meant).

Timelords are not humans, they are a race very similar to humans but way ahead of them. Because the races are so similar it is why The Doctor takes a liking to humans, because they are the closest race to his kind, albeit a race far behind timelord technology.

I'm not a fan of the nanogenes idea, there are far too many things that can go wrong and can be taken the wrong way, but whatever floats the boat of the writers of the show.

Timelords are not humans, they are a race very similar to humans but way ahead of them. Because the races are so similar it is why The Doctor takes a liking to humans, because they are the closest race to his kind, albeit a race far behind timelord technology.

I'm not a fan of the nanogenes idea, there are far too many things that can go wrong and can be taken the wrong way, but whatever floats the boat of the writers of the show.

They are a race close to humans because they have been bred and evolved from humans.

They are humans you fool, they contain Time Lord DNA, why do you think Time Lords look so similar to humans?

Guest British CitiZen

They are a race close to humans because they have been bred and evolved from humans.

I dont think so

FAQ Item 1.3 - Just who is the Doctor?

The Doctor is a Time Lord, one of the elite of the planet Gallifrey, a world

located in a distant galaxy. The Time Lords are an immensely old and powerful

society who have the ability to travel through time in their TARDISes (their

time travel machines), but whose policy is not to interfere with the rest

of the universe. Instead, they simply observe and act only when absolutely

necessary. Gallifreyan society, ruled by the High Council, is a dull and

stagnant affair; some might even say that it is slowly decaying.

The Doctor, of the Prydonian group of Time Lords, fled Gallifrey at some

point (ostensibly because of boredom, though there is a great deal of

speculation on the real reason) and is currently living the life of a

renegade. His interference with other worlds and cultures is in direct

contravention to Time Lord policy, and he has twice been tried on this

point. Despite this, the Doctor continues to traverse the galaxy, often

with a companion or two, battling evil and oppression in all its many guises.

As a Time Lord, the Doctor has two hearts and can withstand physical 

extremes better than humans. They have a symbiotic link with their time

machines. They can also regenerate when their present body is worn out or

dying.

Credit: http://nitro9.earth.uni.edu/doctor/FAQ/Faq_1.txt

So how does that prove me wrong at all? Answer: It doesn't.

My uncle says the timeloads are a completely different race, and he was watching Doctor Who before the majority of you had hair on your bollocks.

He can't know that because that's never been directly revealed. I'm not saying I'm sure I'm right, I'm saying it's a theory and it makes a lot of sense, but still no-one has proved me wrong.

My uncle says the timeloads are a completely different race, and he was watching Doctor Who before the majority of you had hair on your bollocks.

He can't know that because that's never been directly revealed. I'm not saying I'm sure I'm right, I'm saying it's a theory and it makes a lot of sense, but still no-one has proved me wrong.

He's seen every episode ever made, so he has seen enough to build up a near-accurate prediction. I wasn't trying to be an asshole or trying to prove you wrong, I was just stating an opinion of somebody who has seen them all.

But by saying he said they were a completely different race that's what you were saying essentially, or at least it seemed like that. Anyway, if I'm right it'll be revealed eventually, if I'm wrong may I be proven so and we can get back to other theories.

In other events, I can't stand the Slitheen, why have one of them survive, that pair of episodes were so shit.

Only in this bizzaro-world, Russel T. Davies-written series would the Time Lords be bred from humans, probably to make it more acceptable that he fancies Rose, which is a whole other chestnut. One of my neighbours' brothers is a real Dr. Who nut, he writes books on it and stuff, and he's having a field day with continuity fuck-ups in every episode of the new series.

To put it in his words, as I spoke to him at a barbecue the other day, "this new series is good for a bit of light entertainment, but it's about as accurate as the Hitler Diaries."

So, yes.

Guest British CitiZen

I dont think so

FAQ Item 1.3 - Just who is the Doctor?

The Doctor is a Time Lord, one of the elite of the planet Gallifrey, a world

located in a distant galaxy. The Time Lords are an immensely old and powerful society who have the ability to travel through time in their TARDISes (their time travel machines), but whose policy is not to interfere with the rest

of the universe. Instead, they simply observe and act only when absolutely

necessary. Gallifreyan society, ruled by the High Council, is a dull and

stagnant affair; some might even say that it is slowly decaying.

The Doctor, of the Prydonian group of Time Lords, fled Gallifrey at some

point (ostensibly because of boredom, though there is a great deal of

speculation on the real reason) and is currently living the life of a

renegade. His interference with other worlds and cultures is in direct

contravention to Time Lord policy, and he has twice been tried on this

point. Despite this, the Doctor continues to traverse the galaxy, often

with a companion or two, battling evil and oppression in all its many guises.

As a Time Lord, the Doctor has two hearts and can withstand physical 

extremes better than humans. They have a symbiotic link with their time

machines. They can also regenerate when their present body is worn out or

dying.