Doctor Who

Dingle

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine he'll return in the next series, as he was a highlight of the last few episodes. They'll make some reference to him at least, Russel T. Davies isn't the sort to just abandon his characters if he's left it open.

I enjoyed that episode, for a hastily re-written ending it wasn't bad, and you got the Doctor/Rose kiss that has been building for 3 months so I guess that's nice at least. David Tenant is a fantastic actor IMO, and if they give him a good personality and a decent wardrobe I think he'll fit right in as the Doctor. We'll see at Christmas, I guess.

I don't think the Emperor Dalek will return, as it showed his ship being reduced to atoms, although an online interview with the Producer said that yes, they would be back in the next series or the third series which has been confirmed, as it's pointless not to have them.

I'm going to miss Christopher Eccelston as The Doctor. This is the only series of Dr. Who I've watched (previously I'd only ever seen a couple of episodes when they used to show repeats on BBC years ago).

I didn't like the kiss between Rose and The Doctor, it was obvious it was going to happen but I didn't want it to. The end of the episode was pretty much saved by the arrival of a new Doctor. Chris Tennant has a tough act to follow.

I'm going to miss Christopher Eccelston as The Doctor. This is the only series of Dr. Who I've watched (previously I'd only ever seen a couple of episodes when they used to show repeats on BBC years ago). 

I didn't like the kiss between Rose and The Doctor, it was obvious it was going to happen but I didn't want it to. The end of the episode was pretty much saved by the arrival of a new Doctor. Chris Tennant has a tough act to follow.

Yeah I thought the same, I thought it should be the obvious but unspoken/unacted upon kind of relationship.

Strange the way that Rose took all the energy and passed it on to the Doctor. It then caused the Doctor to "die" (or regenerate to escape death) but left Rose with just a case of mild amnesia.

Edited by timmayy

I know, I was just hoping for him to write a few, but for the most part just oversee the writing process, and maybe add a few bits to link the series together.

• 1 year later...

FUCK YEAH!

Ahem.

Anyhow, judging by the trailer shown at the end of Runaway Bride, and my general web snooping/reading of the Radio Times, this should be a good season. Lots of cool monsters, some really fun historical trips, and a big-budget story in New York city... me likey, it's getting more like the New Adventures novels every day, which is awesome 'cos they were fucking ace.

The first episode is likely not going to be anything special, they'll have to retread a lot of old ground about the Doctor character in order to introduce Martha, so my advice would be to wait until week two before starting to judge it too much. That said, I think this season will either make or break the new show, as Billie Piper was such a huge part of the relaunch, bridging the Doctors and generally being the go-to girl. Pretty much all of our revelations about the Doctor came from her POV, and she was built up as a thoroughly great character, knocking off even Ace and Sarah-Jane Smith for 'best-developed companion' honours, and as good as this new girl may or may not be, she'll struggle to capture the public like Rose Tyler did.

The trailer/preview thing for the episode looks nice, hospital on the moon and all that. Those monsters with the rhino heads look disturbingly like Sontarans, which I hope isn't referenced.

In 'classic Doc' news, I bought the New Beginnings DVD box set a while back, which has Keeper of Traken and Logopolis, Tom Baker's final two stories, with Peter Davison's introductory serial Castrovalva too. It's a really nice compilation, with a good running arc as the Master pops up in all three for the first time since Roger Delgado died, and Anthony Ainley is on fine form. Yay. The special features are awesome, especially the documentaries on Logopolis and Castrovalva, which feature Tom Baker actually opening up and being serious about his final months on the show, and why he left the programme. It's nice to see him actually opening up, 'cos usually he's very flippant about his time on the show. Plus, previously unseen rehearsal footage of him yelling at a director and throwing a, and I quote, "fucking silly prop", before imploring the hapless crew to "get on and shoot the damn dreary scene anyway" = ownage.

Yay all round.

I thought that was fairly good. I don't know why the Judoon had to have rhinoceros heads, but I'll let it slide. The writing was good, some of the one-liners were very funny ("So this guy in the helmet, where's he from? The planet Zovirax?") and it generally had a good atmosphere to it, despite being a bit of a retread of old ground with re-introducing the Doctor to Martha, in the last couple of minutes especially.

Martha seems like she's going to be fun. A bit smarter, a bit older, a bit more flirtatious, and generally another step in the evolution from 'screaming girl' to 'proper character', as she seems very independent, quick-witted, and the like. A bit like Sarah-Jane, but far, far less cute. She's hot though.

Again, I'll be reserving judgement until I've seen some of the later episodes, but it looks good. Already there's some stuff bouncing around about Mr. Saxon, who will be this season's Bad Wolf/Torchwood thread, and there was a nice flash of darkness from Tennant at the end. Good-oh.

Later in the series, what do we have to look forward to? The Face of Boe's final message to the Doctor (I win £10 from my housemate if it's "you are not alone" or words to that effect), John Simm as Mr. Saxon, Elize du Toit (formerly of Hollyoaks) in the final 2-parter, Derek Jacobi popping up, and the big news is that Jacobi is APPARENTLY playing The Master. Zoids!

Very average start to the series sadly - more of a workmanlike introduction episode with a stupid story shoved around it.

I'm not a fan of the "society" jokes like "You can't even keep up with Quizmania".... It ages the series badly, and it's out of date even on it's release!

Still, I have faith for more episodes like those in the last series that don't try to be hip, or clever, but instead jsut go about their business being weird and classy.