The Montreal Aftermath: WWF 1998

WWF Monday Night RAW - Jan. 19, 1998

Show Rating: 73

RAW TV Rating: 5.08

Nitro TV Rating: 6.02

• Brian Christopher interview (Rating:65)
    • The show opens with JR recapping what happened last week on RAW.
    • BC was backstage, being interviewed by Lawler
    • Lawler asks BC if he's got any opinion about the upcomign number one contender's match for his title
    • BC is flippant and says that it doesn't matter who it is, because he's going to be Too Much to handle.
    • BC says that he's Too Cool for this interview and that he's got better things to do tonight than watch inferior opponents in the ring.
    • As BC leaves, Lawler is amazed how cool BC is.
    • Pretty weak segment, so says the crowd.
  • Taka Michinoku def. Suicidal Kid, Mr. Aguila (M:92 C:49 O:70)
    • This match is to determine the #1 contender to the Lightheavyweight Championship
    • Amazing match between three good lightweights.
    • Suicidal Kid hit a top rope 'rana on Aguila that wowed the crowd a bit.
    • Several high-spots that tried to draw in the crowd didn't work out, however.
    • Mr. Aguila hits a moonsault on Suicidal Kid but the cover is broken by Taka.
    • Taka hit the Michinoku driver on Mr. Aguila to grab the win.
  • Kurrgan def. Bradshaw (M:54 C:54 O:53)
    • Kurrgan is with Cornette.
    • Bradshaw manages to stun the massive Kurrgan using power moves, but is stopped short by a vicious boot to the face.
    • Kurrgan clamps in the claw and wins easily.
    • Cornette whacks Bradshaw in the back of the head with his tennis racket for good measure.

• Kane interview (Rating:79)
    • Paul Bearer is with Kane backstage
    • Bearer talks about the Godwinns and how Kane is going to decimate them in the next match.
    • He then says that after tonight, the Godwinns will rest... in... peace... ooooooh yeeeessssss!
  • Kane def. The Godwinns (M:60 C:65 O:63)
    • Both Godwinns try to surprise Kane by sneak-attacking, and this works for a minute or so.
    • Until Kane compeltely annihilates both of them.
    • HOG gets a chokeslam. PIG gets a tombstone, and Kane covers one on top of the other for the win.
  • New Age Outlaws interview (Rating:70)
    • Road Dogg and Badd Ass are backstage, they talk about the next match,
    • Badd Ass says that Jeff Jarrett should wake up and smell the roses, tradition doesn't have any place in the WWF.
    • Road Dogg says that he's going to put an end to Jarrett tonight, by hook OR by crook.
  • Jeff Jarrett def. Road Dogg (M:88 C:75 O:81)
    • Good overall match, both wrestlers seem to be feeding off of each other.
    • Billy Gunn is at ringside, and constantly distracts the referee, giving Road Dogg the opportunity to cheat.
    • Jarrett fights back, and is able to take the advantage. He hits a front-side-russian legsweep and is calling for the figure four.
    • Gunn hops on the apron, Jarrett is distracted. Road Dogg rushes into Jarrett, but JJ ducks. Road Dogg and Gunn collide!
    • JJ rolls Road Dogg up for the three count!
    • The New Age Outlaws try to double-team JJ, but he is smarter this time around, and quickly evades them. Walking back with a smile on his face.
  • Nation Interview (Rating:83)
    • The Nation is backstage. Rocky is wearing a hawaiian shirt, compared to the all-black garments of the toehr guys.
    • Farooq says that tonight, Shamrock and the DOA are going to be taught a lesson: you don't mess with the Nation.
    • Rocky grabs the mic and says that with the IC champ here, there's nothing to worry about, and that after tonight, the Rock will be basking in the hawaiian sun.
    • Farooq stares at Rocky, and looks at him from head to toe, he asks him what the hell he's doing with the shirt.
    • Rocky smiles and says he's going to hawaii for the rest of the week.
    • Farooq tells Rocky to get his head straight and in the match, then they head off to the ring.
  • Ken Shamrock, 8-Ball & Chainz def. Rocky Maivia, Farooq & D'Lo Brown (M:76 C:63 O:69)
    • Helter skelter match. Rocky is wearing that stupid hawaiian shirt.
    • The match goes on until the referee is completely unable to contain all individuals.
    • Rocky gets thrown out of the ring. Farooq is being double-teamed by the DOA. Shamrock cinches in the ankle-lock on D'Lo
    • Rocky gets up, and sees the situation, he decides against it and suddenly feigns injury to his back.
    • D'Lo taps out, and the ref calls the match. They clear the ring of Farooq and D'Lo. Rocky is outside, clutching his back in an overexagerated manner.
    • The Nation collect themselves as Shamrock and DOA celebrate in the ring.
  • DX interview (Rating:80)
    • Michaels and HHH are backstage, talking about LOD.
    • Michaels says that the LOD are shadows of their former selves.
    • HHH imitates Animal, grunting and spouting out incomprehensible words. He then starts howling and panting like a dog.
    • Michaels reminds HHH that Animal's just his name... but then says that tha was a spot on impression.
    • HBK says that like Hart, Animal and Hawk have overextended their stay in the WWF, and like bitches (bleeped out), they need to be put out.
  • Shawn Michaels & HHH draw Legion of Doom (M:84 C:86 O:85)
    • Good match. HHH and Michaels were selling like crazy, while the LOD riled the crowd up.
    • Chyna got involved, and the tide soon turns.
    • LOD manage to stage one last comeback, and manage to set HHH up for the Doomsday Device!
    • But here comes the Outlaws! Brawl! And here's JJ with a steel chair! The referee has no choice but to call for the bell!
    • BRAWL! Michaels is smart enough to slide out. Jarrett plants HHH in the head with a chair! The Outlaws get clotheslined outside! Michaels is PISSED. HHH is being helped by Chyna to the back. The Outlaws regroup.
    • JJ raises the chair to the crowd, who cheer. JR says that this is a feud that is going to explode at In Your House! And that ends the show.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raw Thoughts:

Christopher Interivew: I'm liking the fact that Jerry Lawler always happens to be the one who interviews Brian Christopher. It's a nice nod to their relationship. I also enjoyed Christopher's subtle references to the names of his future real WWF tag teams with Scott Taylor. Do you have Scott Taylor on contract? I know that he was in the real WWF Light heavyweight tourney and he debuted against Snow when they started hyping the division in September of '97.

Light Heavy 3 way: At least the division can pop real nice match ratings. Though it's too bad the division is basically 4 people. It will cause things to get stale real quick. I'm thinking you're in the need of scouring the indies now. Taka was the obvious choice for a winner since he'd be the most over and he never got pinned for his title. He should be able to have a great match with Christopher at No Way Out.

Kurrgan beats Bradshaw: Can't say I'm a fan of squashing Bradshaw. Like I've said before, WWF needs the strong faces at this point. I'm thinking Bradshaw has enough to bring to the table to avoid being used as a job boy. On the other hand, it's good to see Kurrgan continue the monster push.

Kane Promo: Keep up the Kane interviews as his character will need to be established again. Before Survivor Series, his indentity was basically the bitter brother of Undertaker who was out for revenge. No "Taker means Kane now has no indentity. Hopefully, he can get a more well rounded character going into 'Mania.

Kane beats Godwinns: Not quite a fan of decimating a tag team. WWF needs tag teams and needs them to look strong. Now, Godwinns basically seem to be job boys now. Losing to them would only hurt credibility at this point.

NOA Interview: Liking NAO but still would like them to remain DX free.

Jarret beat Road Dogg: Jarrett needed to win this match. The man needs the main event credibility and losing to a tag wrestler would have killed it. It was also good that Road Dogg was kept strong too. I liked seeing Jarret actually being able to avoid a beat down for a change. Though I'm sure Jarrett will be in store for some more hurting in the near future.

Nation Interview: More great stuff from Farooq and Rocky. I love the fact that Rocky totally dressed different from the group and appears to be so self centred. Glad to see the friction continues to build. The bit about taking time off in Hawaii is classic.

Six man tag: Where is Skull??? The finish was completely classic. I love the Rock exagerrating the injuries and chickening out for the save. Now he seems to be having some friction with people other then Farooq as well. D Lo won't be happy with being neglected by the Rock. Interesting things should be afoot.

DX Interview: Exactly the type of stuff DX would say. Once again, they seemed to be coming off as pretty cool. Though LOD was still over enough at this point that fans probably didn't appreicate the impressions. The mention of Hart would be sure to ruffle some feathers. Good stuff and very DX-like.

Dx v. LOD: Good to see DX make LOD come off as monsters. The NOA interfering was fairly predictable but a good way to build to the PPV. I also like to see the faces overcome this time. It's the first time I'd say the faces seem to come out the better group. As I said before, I'm sure this will just lead to big DX revenge at the next Raw.

Decent stuff though nothing blow away happened. It progressed all the stories and continued the build to No Way Out. It would be good to start establishing some more matches for the PPV, though.

WWF Shotgun Saturday Night - Jan. 24, 1998

Show Rating: 80

TV Rating: 0.05

• Kane Promo (Rating:87)
    • A short video promo is shown of Kane, his debut during the HiaC match bet. the Undertaker and Michaels
    • Kane is then shown squashing people left and right.
    • His re-emergence at the 1998 Royal Rumble, and the subsequent winning of the rumble is also shown.
    • Paul Bearer's voice could be heard. "Noone... noone in the WWF can stop Kaaaaaane!" We then hear Kane's breathing as the video fades out.
    • Cole says that the video is chilling and that Kane is a force to be reckoned with.
  • Kurrgan Interview w/ Cornette (Rating:83)
    • Michael Cole welcomes his guest tonight, Kurrgan and James Cornette.
    • Kurrgan walks in with Cornette, and lets Jim do the talking.
    • Cornette says that Cole should be in awe of Kurrgan's size and his in-ring prowess.
    • He says that there are individuals in the WWF who think that they're invincible, but Kurrgan is the real deal.
    • Cornette tells Cole to play the next tape, to show the awesome power of Kurrgan.
  • Kurrgan def. Scott Putski (M:48 C:48 O:47)
    • SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
  • Steve Austin is on the line (Rating:96)
    • Kurrgan and Cornette leave, and Cole says that he is on the line with none other than Stone Cold Steve Austin.
    • Austin says that the neck is doing fine, and he'll be back in the WWF soon.
    • Cole asks Austin if he's the mystery partner for JJ at IYH. Austin says no, but he'd love to be there to kick some ass and raise some hell.
    • Austin says that when he comes back, there will be a lot of names taken, a lot of ass kicked and that he guaran-damn-tees it.
  • Shawn Michaels & HHH draw Legion of Doom (M:88 C:85 O:86)
    • We get an edited recap of what happened last Monday Night during RAW.
    • Cole says that's it for tonight, reminds us to tune in tommorow at Heat and ends the show.

Personally I liked Kane squashing the Godwinns. First, it isn't like he squashed the LOD. And second, it totally reeks of when they used to throw a team out there in front of a monster heel in the early 90s. It shows that if said heel can beat two guys at once, what chance does one person have? A good, strong way to book Kane.

Pretty good shows. I'm liking the friction between the nation, And I can't wait to see Faarooq kick Rocky's ass. I can just picture the fans going nuts when Faarooq finally beats down Rocky. I liked DX making fun of the LOD, And it's nice to see HBK and HHH carried LOD to something decent. I'd actually like to see Chainz get a push. He was decent in the ring, And he's a hoss. I'm thinking Shamrock will be Jarrett and LOD's partner. Keep up the good work (Y)

Shotgun Thoughts:

Kane Promo: Since Kane is in the Wrestlemania main event and WWF fans don't have much to associate him with other then as the evil brother of the Undertaker, I'd say video packages like these are necessary. We need to get to know Kane and we need to start giving a crap abut him. Now, it's important for us to figure out if Kane is going to be heel or face. Since he's going into 'Mania to challenge for the title then I'd say he needs to be face. Though it's looking like no matter, he'll be sticking with Bearer for awhile which is probably smart as he needs a mouth piece. I'm guessing, Kane has strong potential of being in the 8 main tag main event at No Way Out and possibly cement his spot in the main event scene by pinning HBK.

Kurrgan Interview: Kurrgan is definitely been getting the monster push lately. Though I never liked the real WWF Kurrgan, I do agree that it's probably good to get another monster built up after losing so much talent in November. Besides, I'm sure he is set for a collission course with Kane.

Kurrgan Squash: Probably the best way to use Scott Putski since I'm guessing his stats stink. I doubt Putski would ever be able to get over anyway.

Austin Interview: So much for my hypothesis that Austin could be member #4 for the main event. No way WWF would make fans believe that Austin won't be in the main event if he was going to be in it. WWF would need this PPV buy rate badly and would be sure to hype Austin huge if he was in the match. I'm guessing it will be Kane then. It does seem that Austin will be showing up at the PPV and it will be interesting to see what his involvment will be.

No Light heavies on the show which is too bad. Though with only 4 guys, you can't really showcase the division on every program. I'd say this was a decent 'studio' show. It was definitely nice to hear from Austin again.

Quick question, do you ever plan to give us newsbites of what is happening over in WCW or ECW? It would be interesting to see how the defected wrestlers are doing.

I really love this style. I think it would have been good for me when I did a couple of my diaries because let's face it, WWF at this time was full of brawlers which makes for some boring matches when written out. Now onto the actual content. I like how you're building Kane up but I don't think I'm the only one with the opinion that he doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the title. He's being built up but there are just so many factors that are going to keep him from the title. Jarrett is one of those factors, even though I don't think he's going to be the one to take the crown. I love this fued because I've always been a fan of Jarrett and felt he could have been so much more in the WWF. Not to mention him and HBK always put on awesome matches. Not big on the Rock/Faarooq fued since it seems way to true to life, but maybe we'll get a swerve in there which will open it up. Everything else just seems thrown together, which is a good way to make the "Panic" seem real, but hopefully things start getting put back together.

The only real problem I have thus far with Jarrett that makes me certain that he has no chance of winning the title, is because I picture him wearing the Aztec Warrior singlet.

Now really, can you imagine someone who dresses like THAT being the World champion?

WWF Sunday Night Heat - Jan. 25, 1998

Show Rating: 74

TV Rating: 5.48

• Suicidal Kidd def. Mr. Aguila(M:82 C:52 O:67)
    • Great match, and the crowd warmed up a bit to the cruiserweights in the ring.
    • Mr. Aguila went for a moonsault, but Kidd rolled away, Kidd then rolled Aguila up and held the tights for his first win in the WWF.
  • Video of JJ/LOD/DX(Rating:82)
    • Recap of RAW.
    • Cole announces that JJ will be facing HHH tommorow night on RAW!
  • Bradshaw def. Bart Gunn(M:74 C:55 O:64)
    • He's that cowboy from texas, BRADSHAW! Complete with rope and hat.
    • Bart Gunn does every dirty trick in the book, poke in the eye, pulling hair... and whatnot.
    • Bradshaw perseveres however, and finishes Gunn off with a fall-away slam.
  • Can-Am Express def. The Quebecers(M:85 C:55 O:70)
    • Great tag match, both teams were putting on a show. Crowd was a bit indifferent.
    • The Quebecers mis-communicate and end up on the losing end.
    • Furnas and Lafon celebrate, but the Quebecers attack them from behind.
    • Aaaaaand the Quebecers get cleared from the ring after the Can-Am Connection fight back. Rougeau looks pissed.
  • Kane video footage(Rating:90)
    • Similar video from Shotgun, but tweaked here and there.
    • Definitely got the message through
  • D'Lo Brown def. Flash Funk(M:78 C:61 O:69)
    • Funk was winning this one and was going for his finisher, until Rocky (wearing his hawaiian shirt) came out of nowhere to shove him off the top rope while the ref wasn't looking.
    • D'Lo nails Funk with a modified spinebuster for the win.
    • Rocky and D'Lo then put the BOOTS on Funk.
    • Rocky smiles that cocky smile of his and extends a hand to Brown, who shakes it. Looks like the wrinkles have been ironed out.
  • DX Interview(Rating:85)
    • HBK and HHH are backstage with CHYNA, in a taped interview.
    • HHH says that he'll have to excuse Shawn for tonight, but he'll be doing all the talking.
    • Hunter says that tommorow night, Jarrett is going down. (Michael's echoes the sentiment from behind. "going DOWN!")
    • Jarret is going to realize that he has no place in the WWF ("No Place!")
    • HHH is going to make an example of JJ tommorow night on RAW ("On RAW!")
    • When Hunter is through with him, JJ, if he has any dignity left, will leave the WWF on his own ("ON HIS OWN!")
    • HBK steals the segment and says that JJ is a looooong way from Nashville, and that the only songs he'll be singing after tommorow night: are the blues.
  • Legion of Doom def. Savio Vega & Miguel Perez(M:72 C:68 O:70)
    • How fast can you say SQUASH?
    • Cole thanks us for watching and reminds us to tune in to RAAAAAAAAW!
Edited by wrestlingsuicide

WWF Monday Night RAW - Jan. 26, 1998

Show Rating: 71

RAW TV Rating: 5.08

Nitro TV Rating: 6.01

• Brian Christopher def. Scott Taylor(M:80 C:54 O:60)
    • Taylor makes his debut after being called from MCW. He's given a fun babyface gimmick... which the crowd doesn't exactly like.
    • Christopher wins cleanly. He steps on Taylor for good measure.
    • The show is a bit off as the production team is having some problems with TV transmission. Seems like an off-night for us.
  • The Quebecers!(Rating:71)
    • Carl Oulette and Jacques Rougeau are backstage, with a 3rd Quebecer! He introduces himself as RAY ROUGEAU.
    • Ray does all the talking, saying that since the Quebecers came back to the WWF, they've been short-changed and hoodwinked.
    • He says that that changes TONIGHT! He's here to make sure that the Quebecers remain as the beacon of Canadian wrestling.
    • Ray says that the Godwinns are going to made into examples of what the Quebecers can REALLY do.
  • The Quebecers def. The Godwinns(M:70 C:61 O:58)
    • The Quebecers came out to the Canadian anthem, receiving boos from the crowd.
    • Basic brawl, with the Quebecers carrying the Godwinns through most of the match.
    • Ray Rougeau distracts the referee as Carl Oulette plants HOG with something that resembles a mounty's nightstick.
    • Quebecers get the win. Yay. Ray Rougeau saluts the crowd in mockery and the three Quebecers beat down the Godwinns.
  • Kurrgan def. Scott Putski & Brooklyn Brawler(M:62 C:43 O:46)
    • SQUAAAAASH. Double squash.
  • Savio Vega def. Flash Funk(M:75 C:73 O:66)
    • Vega has Miguel Perez with him at ringside.
    • Funk is at the brink of a victory, but again is sidelined by outside interference.
    • Vega rolls Funk and holds on to the tights to win. Perez and Vega start putting the beat-down on Funk!
    • Someone runs in from the crowd! JR says it's Goldust, but it's not Goldust... it's him sans the gimmick!
    • JR says that it's Dustin Rhodes, and he's helping Flash Funk! They clear the ring of the heels, and Rhodes helps Funk up. The crowd is eating this up.
  • NOD interview(Rating:85)
    • Backstage, the Nation is being interviewed. Rocky's still wearing that stupid shirt.
    • Rocky regales everyone of his trip to paradise. And says that he came back IN TIME last night to help D'Lo Brown in his match.
    • Farooq says that Rocky helping D'Lo out last night was the best thing he had done ALL month long.
    • Rocky hands Farooq, Henry and Kama some money to spend tonight, because they won't need to assist him and D'Lo in the next match.
    • Seems like Farooq and the other guys are buying it, and Rocky says that they're going to follow as soon as they lay the smack down on Shamrock and Mero.
    • Rocky and D'Lo cut a promo on their opponents, Rocky saying that him and D'Lo are UNSTOPPABLE. Eyebrow, and they leave for the ring.
  • Ken Shamrock & Marc Mero def. Rocky Maivia & D'lo Brown(M:84 C:74 O:71)
    • Solid match. Everyone was on their A-Game tonight.
    • The heels dominate through most of the match, but Shamrock and Mero come back.
    • Mero punches Rocky and he FLIES off the ring into the barricade.
    • Shamrock locks the ankle lock into D'Lo, he's screaming for help.
    • Rocky sees the situation and suddenly collapses into the ground outside, clutching his ribs (supposedly injured)
    • D'Lo finally taps, and we have ourselves winners. Yay.
    • Rocky is still feigning that injury and is rolling on the gound, D'Lo is nursing his ankle. They collect themselves and D'Lo looks MIGHTY pissed right here. Wrinkles have been re-wrinkled.
  • Kane Video(Rating:88)
    • Kane video that's been playing over and over.
    • It's really been helping, considering that the WWF have a solid crew of Video people.
  • Kane def. Chainz(M:71 C:67 O:62)
    • Chainz actually manages to put up a fight, but gets destroyed anyway.
    • Kane continues his mean streak and is actually winning over some cheers.
  • JJ def. HHH(M:91 C:82 O:67)
    • Great match. A 15 minute classic, some would say.
    • JJ and HHH took a couple of turns decimating each other.
    • The crowd is cheering JJ more, and he's getting good fan reaction.
    • JJ locks in the figure four to almost win this one.
    • Finish came with Shawn Michaels, Chyna and New Age Outlaws come running to the ring. Ref calls a DQ in favor of JJ. Crowd is chanting for LOD.
  • The Ultimate Insult(Rating:88)
    • A camera shows LOD's locker-room barred by a dumpster. Crowd boos.
    • Michaels is in the ring. All five individuals take their turns beating up JJ, who looks worst for wear.
    • JJ is bleeding profusely after a devastating pedigree. Michaels produces a pair of shears!
    • Chyna and the Outlaws hold JJ up.
    • Michaels goes for it, but HHH stops him.
    • HHH says that HE wants to do it!
    • HHH grabs the shears and starts to cut JJ's hair. The crowd is booing HEAVILY. Chants for "DOUBLE J" start mounting.
    • Michaels grabs the microphone and says that after tonight, JJ's only way to save face is to LEAVE the WWF.
    • Hunter grabs JJ, bleeding and pretty much beaten up, and slaps him in the face.
    • JR calls DX no good sons of bitches (bleeped) and the show closes with JJ's mauled body lying on the mat, and DX raising their hands in victory.

WWF Shotgun Saturday Night - Jan. 17, 1998

Show Rating: 74

TV Rating: 0.04

• Rhodes interview(Rating:83)
    • Michael Cole opens the show
    • Dustin Rhodes is his in-studio guest.
    • Cole asks what happened to Rhodes, and what happened to Goldust
    • Rhodes says that the fans aren't blind, they know Goldust was a stupid character to begin with.
    • Rhodes then continues by trashing the WWF writers, he names Vince Russo.
    • He says that Vince McMahon used his wrestlers and left them to rot when he was through with them.
    • No mention of Hart during the entire interview. Sounded like a shoot interview, but by leaving out Hart, it was obviously a work. Of course, the marks don't know that. Wink.
    • Rhodes says that McMahon sent his career skyhigh, but also put it in the crapper. He's had enough.
    • As far as Rhodes is concerned, McMahon can kiss his ass (bleeped)
    • Solid interview.
  • Bushwhackers def. Bart Gunn and Bob Holly(M:54 C:61 O:58)
    • Cole says that a tag-team has returned to the WWF!
    • BUSHWHACKERS!
    • Close match, but the faces celebrate the win.
  • Kane interview(Rating:74)
    • Kane is with Bearer in a taped interview.
    • Bland stuff from Bearer, the usual... fans are getting tired of this quickly.
    • Certainly not on par with the well-produced videos.
  • Kurrgan def. 8-Ball & Skull(M:61 C:49 O:55)
    • Kurrgan adds to his list of victims. Yikes.
  • RAW Recap(Rating:89)
    • Cole recaps what happened at RAW's main event
    • Edited video footage is shown.
    • JJ is apparently alright, and will be on RAW next week. Cole says that's it for the show, and reminds everyone to tune in to Heat tommorow night.

January, 1998 Recap

ECW

ECW was soaring during the first month of 1998. They weren't affected as much by the fall-out of the Montreal Incident, other than the spike in interest in wrestling benefitted them the most. Paul Heyman didn't like making sudden moves, and he didn't. Business was as usual, and ECW was slowly gaining popularity. Granted that Vince McMahon is practically funding ECW, Heyman still considers it his brainchild, and would probably safeguard his talent from moving up to the WWF or WCW. January was substantially a good month for the 3rd best wrestling promotion in America.

WCW

January saw a change within the WCW management. A shakeup was underway and scores of mid-card wrestlers lost their jobs. These guys were earning about $100k a month, and at the snap of a finger, they were jobless. Fit Finlay, The Nasty Boys, Stevie Ray, Blitkrieg, etc. etc. WCW had trimmed the fat, and what remained were the big name stars. Hart and co. are being given a hard time to break into the company, however, with Nash, Hall and Hogan in control. WCW actually lost some fan support, due to the fact that many fans were turned off, not being able to see most of the familiar WCW faces anymore. Expect WCW to bounce back hard, however, they still have the deepest pockets in the wrestling business.

WWF

The WWF entered January in virtual turmoil. Austin is still a non-factor during live shows and Owen Hart is still sitting on his contract. The writing staff went on crash-booking for the better part of the month, until they were able to cement several storylines together. The only storyline that has been going through solidly was the bit with the Nation. Rocky was born to be a star, and the people in the WWF could see it completely. Ken Shamrock is still a solid face, never losing heat during his matches... if given the opportunity, many smarts think that Shamrock could make it very big in the WWF. Jeff Jarrett was floundering a bit as a face, UNTIL the severe beatdown by DX. That seemed to completely turn the fans towards him. Dustin Rhodes cut a solid shoot-like promo on a little-watched Shotgun, and videos of the interview have already been circulating in the internet. Kane made a big return at the Rumble, and had a big build-up, but the fans are slowly losing interest... it will be interesting to see if McMahon and co. will indeed turn him face. DX has been amazing... Michaels and Helmsley are cutting solid promos and matches. The return and hiring of several old WWF stars signify Vince's old philosophy of sticking to what has worked. Of course, the fans want cutting edge, but they can't help and reminisce on old stars. The WWF website posted a poll on who were the biggest draws in the WWF, and who the fans wanted to see the most and came out like this:

Top 5 Faces:

1. Owen Hart

2. Steve Austin

3. Jeff Jarrett

4. Ken Shamrock

5. Dustin Rhodes

Top 5 Heels:

1. Shawn Michaels

2. Kane

3. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

4. Rocky Maivia

5. Chyna

Chyna at #5? Her exposure with DX has certainly helped... a lot... and the boys at the back are hoping that the Outlaw's exposure with DX will get their popularity up as well. Overall, the WWF is still struggling, but with WrestleMania less than 2 months away, they're hoping to finally turn things around completely when WM hits.

Heat Thoughts:

Suicidal Kidd beat Aguila: Wow! I never thought we would see the day that Christian pulled off a win. Even though this probably lessens Aguila in stature, it's important to not keep Kidd as a complete jobber if he's staying around. Afterall, at this point you still only have a division of 4. Great to see you pulled off another solid match rating. I'm gettig the feeling we're on the brink of having ourselves a second WWF Light Heavyweight heel.

Dx video: Jarrett v. Hunter should be a great contest for Raw. Though I see screwjob written all over it.

Bradhsaw beat Bart: I'm thinking it's safe to say Gunn is basically your WWF JTTS. I dont remember him winning a single match in this diary so far. I'm thinking, you just keep Gunn with Holly for now as a tag team since you don't have anything else in store for the poor sap. Good to see Bradshaw back and he might be the exact type of hoss to feed to Kurrgan in his first feud.

Can-Am beat Quebecers: At this point, the tag division just seems to be a bunch of random matches between tag teams. There isn't really any feuds other then NOA & LOD. I'm thiking some rivaleries should be established. Though I was sensing that maybe Quebecers aren't going to be together for much longer. We may see Jacques turn on Pierre soon. I don't think a single run would be good for either guy and I'd rather them stay on as a team. WWF also would benefit from a solid tag division at this point. They just just need to start getting some stories going on in the division.

Kane video: I am all for these videos and interviews but I believe it's about time to get Kane into a program now. You can't really just have him drift before fighting at Wrestlemania or he'll come off as a complete lame duck challenger. He may be that but you can't make him seem like one. I'm thinking he needs to be put in a mini feud starting at this Raw. No idea who it should be though.

Brown beat Funk: This was a good segment as Rocky has now got himself back in D Lo's good books. Of course, I'm sure Rocky will do something dickish again at Raw.

DX Interview: Pretty good segment. It didn't make DX come off as 'cool' but rather intense heels who want to take out JJ. That is how they need to played in this feud.

LOD squash Savio/Perez: LOD are in the No Way Out main event. Savio/Perez rarely even make it on tv. Squash makes sense.

Sweet, Raw is already out of the oven and ready for my consumption!

Raw:

Christopher beat Taylor: Great to see another Lightheavy added to the roster. Taylor seems to pull off a really good match rating in his debut. I'm curious of why you have the philosophy of jobbing guys in their debut match? It seems to happen a lot in your shows. Though in this case, I'm guessing it's partly because you don't have any big plans for Taylor in the near future. Probably here to just beef up the very 'light' division.

Quebecers: Sweet! I was totally wrong about the Quebecers split. It's cool to see they have Raymong Rougeau as a mouth piece or I assume that is who 'Ray' is. Glad to see they have a mini push coming there way. I've always been a fan of the threesomes when it comes to tag teams.

Quebecers beat Godwinns: It's the result that needed to happen unless you wanted to bury this new group right off the bat. The cheap win may mean we have a mini feud on our hands. I don't like the Godwinns but the tag division needs stuff happening in it.

Kurrgan squash Brawler & Putski: Not really the kind of match I want to see on prime time Raw but exactly the kind of match to make Kurrgan a monster.

Savio beat Funk: At first, I thought you were starting up a gimmick of where Flash Funk almost always wins but loses by interference. I wasn't quite sure where you would go with that but was happy Funk would be used for an extent. Now, it looks like we may have a new tag team on our hands with Dustin & Funk. I could think of a lot worse for them so I'll sit back to see how this pans out for them. For the record, I'll miss the Goldust gimmick because I always felt you could go a lot of fun directions with it.

NOD Itnerview: A good segment where everything seems to be patched up in the faction. You know that means something bad is going to happen.

Mero/Shamrock beat NOD: For the second time, Rocky fakes an injury in order to not help D Lo out of the ankle lock. I'm really curious as to why Rocky keeps on refusing to help poor D Lo. Unless it's just a matter of Rocky being afraid of Shamrock. Anyway, nice to see everything back to chaos and it's about time to make the next step in this story.

Kane Video: Ugh, looks like Kane won't have a mini-feud started on Raw. Maybe he will end up being Jarret's partner for No Way Out?

Kane beats Chainz: Kane might just be bad ass enough where he'll be a big favourite against HBK. Especially if you do an angle where he beats up the whole DX all by himself and that would definitely pop a crowd.

JJ beat HHH: Well, exactly the finish that I was expecting. Good to see these guys able to pop such a good match rating. Maybe this should be one of the matches for 'Mania with some gimmick attached. Since I'm sure Jarrett will still have issues with DX after No Way Out but Michaels should be tied up with Kane. Anyway, predictable match but lends itself to No Way Out

Insult: A really great final segment and good way to put some heel heet on DX. Jarrett not only got mauled but he got his head shaved. I'm sure this will only piss Jarrett off and make him a little more bad ass. I definitely look forward to seeing what Jarrett does to gain revenge.

Oh by, you were cranking out the shows.

Shotgun:

Rhodes interview: This interview is more signs that McMahon will become an on screen character heel. Dustin may end up being one of his first rivals. Interested to see where this plays out.

Bushwhackers beat Gunn/Holly: When I asked for Holly & Gunn to stay as a tag team, I didn't really envisioning this happening. Ugh. What purpose is there in bringing back the Bushwhackers? What good could there be having them beat a young team? A team that would actually do something in WWF rather then just lick each others heads. Don't like this.

Kane interview: I agree with the fans. I'm ready for Kane to do something now.

Kurrgan beat DOA: Kurrgan continues to be a monster heel. Yet another tag team loses credibility but it's DOA so they had none anyway. About ready for Kurrgan to do something now too.

I was hoping for a little more info on the other two feds. An idea of their feuds or at least who is the most over in their company. But a really good first month with the WWF. I'm interested to see what big stories you'll be able to put in place for Wrestlemania. WWF needs to score big with that PPV.

Sunday Night Heat

Suicidal Kidd def. Mr. Aguila-Because of the name, I picture Christian doing insane things during the matches and losing because of them, so seeing him defeat someone like Aguila who I think could be a force in the lightweight ranks just doesn't fit to me at this point. He could still look good during the match but ultimately I think Aguila should be being pushed up the cards.

Video of JJ/LOD/DX-I'm loving this fued, or sort of. LOD have never been good since the early 90's and during this era they always seemed like fodder to me. Sticking them with JJ just makes them look even more bland then they really were at this point. However the JJ/DX fued has been awesome and I'm really loving the heeldom of DX against the traditionalist of Jarrett. Just works on so many different levels.

Bradshaw def. Bart Gunn-BAH BAH BAH, and no, that wasn't a sheep. It seemed like you were getting ready to push Bart and Bob as The New Midnight Express, without the name, and then you put them on "job" duty. It's hard to get Bart over, trust me, I tried it with my diary and he just doesn't have the skills to go it alone, but you've got a very good setup by putting him in the tag ranks. He really could help bolster that division and it would give him something to do.

Can-Am Connection def. Quebecers-In regards to the Connection, I'd like to reference EWR for a second. Could I get some bland with a side of bland for that one. These guys need some personality to even compete with the likes of The Quebecers. Not to mention Rougeau is a god. At least they didn't just go over and that was it, Quebecers got their heat back with the attack, even if they were forced out agian. Priorities, but then again, who am I to talk about that one :P

Kane Video Package-Well since we can't see it, we usually have to go on descriptions, and this doesn't really make me like Kane anymore, but I guess it's working in game. I'm not buying him as a face though, not with Bearer by his side. Something has to happen there before WM.

D'Lo Brown def. Flash Funk-Hated this gimmick. Always hated it. But then again the name Scorpio isn't much better in my opinion. He's another guy that seems to stick around despite his age or charisma. He is quite talented though which is probably why he's kind of a legend among the indies. Good to see The Rock come out, and nice little continuity there with his Hawaiian shirt and all.

DX Interview-Played to a tee. I could see Shawn standing behind Triple H screaming the last part of everything he says. Which would make Shawn steal the interview considering his facial expressions and stuff have always been gold. Nice lead in to the match on Raw.

Legion Of Doom def. Savio Vega/Miguel Perez-Simple Squash which is really needed when it comes to LOD. They need something to make them look impressive even when they aren't. But I think they need a true program, either that or a release because they're simply not doing well in the storyline with Jarrett.

Monday Night Raw

Brian Christopher def. Scott Taylor-Well, at least you didn't put them together. I always felt Christopher was the more talented of the two, even though they were both annoying. The Lightweight division is in complete disarray and to tell you the truth, I even forget who the champion is.

Quebecers!-We might as well call them The Fabulous Rougeau's w/Carl Ouellet. Then again you went and made a reference to the Mountie's Cattle Prod so we could be looking at a rehashing of old gimmicks. But I have to say that I love the Mountie gimmick so it's cool to me.

Quebecers def. The Godwinns-They lose to Can Am only to beat The Godwinns. You really hate The Godwinns don't you. Quebecers win so it's all good for me. These guys really deserve a huge push since I feel they mesh quite well together, even if they are getting up there in age.

Kurrgan def. Scott Putski & The Brooklyn Brawler-What better way to turn someone into a monster? SQUASH centeral. It worked for Sid in the early 90's and it's working for Kurrgan right now. But what happens when you run out of guys for him to squash? He needs a a program. How about one of those plucky underdogs. Just seems like the right way to go.

Savio Vega def. Flash Funk-More duty for Flash, and for Savio of all people. Not seeing the point of this unless you're going to push Savio but since he was jobbed out to Kurgann it doesn't seem like it. Filler match, plain and simple.

NOD Interview-How stupid do these people have to be? Rocky is acting like an arrogant asshole and they think he's playing them "real", I think not. Solid interview though but Rocky always brings it on the mic so that's definitely going to help.

Ken Shamrock and Marc Mero def. The Rock and D'Lo Brown-WOW! Even to advance storylines I never expected Shamrock and Mero to win. Now, saying that, I still think the way it was brought about was golden, and something The Rock would do at this point. We all know that Rocky is going to be the break out star but I hope D'Lo isn't forgotten in all this.

Kane Video-Same video, Kane hype which is always good. Still not buying it.

Kane def. Chainz More fodder which works but Kane and Kurgann have got to meet. They're both being built up the same way and it just screams fued. Match rating might be good since they're big monsters but I dunno. Just seems that Kane needs more leading into WM. Hopefull you have something to pull out.

JJ def. HHH-another one of those "Wait a minute" moments. But then again it was only by DQ, and JJ or HHH going over clean might have hurt the eventual fued so I guess it's okay. I'm still surprised to see Jarrett's name in the win column after this.

Final Segment: Typical DX here, specially with the dumpster blocking the L.O.D's locker room. Puts DX over strong while not killing Jarrett's push. Solid booking job on this one.

Shotgun Saturday

Rhodes Interview-Ummm. It took this long for a repackaging and this is what creative came up with? Himself? Makes me wonder what the hell they're doing back there. Seems like a repeat of what WWF did with him during mid 99.

Bushwackers def. Bart Gunn & Bob Holly-Again I have to question the logic in this. There is no way Bushwackers are going to be a mainstay tag team so why? It would have been so much better for Gunn and Holly to go over here.

Kane Interview-Sticking with the get rid of Bearer sentiment. He can't be face with Bearer.

Kurgann def. DOA-I don't like the Harris boys but come on. These guys are huge and I don't care how big Kurgann is, he doesn't just walk all over these two men. I know you want him to be a monster but.....come on....

Overall Thoughts: I'm on the fence about what's been going on in this diary. I love the Jarrett/DX stuff, but other then that it really has nothing going for it. The tag team scene is being demolished except for The Quebecers who've kind of just hanging around. I love the stuff happening with Rocky but I just need to know where he goes from here. Faarooq has lost all credibility with me so a fued with him just doesn't work to elevate him. He's already done the Shamrock thing. And he can't jump straight to the main event scene. Much like I have trouble with, you're having a bit of trouble with priorities but I think it'll be quick to iron out. Still reading though, and I don't stick with many so keep it up.

Pretty good shows. I liked the DX beat down on Double J on Raw Is War. Hopefully, Getting his hair shaved will make JJ more of a bad ass. I can picture him going up against Michaels and Triple H and kicking their asses. I'm also hoping Kane gets involved into a feud or something. He hasn't done anything really since winning the Rumble. I would have liked to see Goldust stay as Goldust, As it seems Dustin loses all of his charisma without the gimmick. Him and Scorpio could be a decent team, But I'd rather see Dustin go off on his own and Scorpio be paired up with someone else. Nice to see The Quebecers getting pushed, Hopefully. Still digging the stuff with Rocky, I can't wait until the nation sees right through him.

One more thing, The Bushwackers? :puke:

This is an awesome diary, i've been reading from the beginning and i really enjoy how your writing everything out, probably just how the WWF would react. I wasn't a fan of the WWF during this time period unfortunately and i didn't really know what was going on at the time, so for me this is a great write up.

BTW, I intend on starting a diary shortly and i was wondering if i could have your permission to use the same format as this one???...I see it as a great format as you still produce good shows without the greatest amount of writing.

P.S. - Triple H for Champ!!..He can't be the jobber boy for Michaels for to much longer can he??? :D

BTW, I intend on starting a diary shortly and i was wondering if i could have your permission to use the same format as this one???...I see it as a great format as you still produce good shows without the greatest amount of writing.

WWF Sunday Night Heat - Feb.1, 1998

Show Rating: 72

TV Rating: 5.45

• RAW Recap(Rating:78)
    • Cole opens the show by recapping what happened at RAW, and the subsequent beatdown of JJ
  • Taka Michinoku def. Scott Taylor(M:100 C:46 O:73)
    • Great, great match put up by the two cruisers. I think they took it a bit too far for live TV.
    • Crowd wasn't hot, but the in-ring action was cool. Michinoku hit a nice highspot off the top rope.
    • Michinoku wins via the Michinoku driver.
  • After the Funk is gone(Rating:72)
    • The next match is announced as Dustin Rhodes and Flash Funk vs. Bob holly and Bart Gunn.
    • Funk walks out with Rhodes, but he is not in his usual Flash Funk gear.
    • Funk is handed a microphone. He talks about joining the WWF and seeing his career going down the toilet over the last month.
    • He says that his name is Charlie Scaggs, and he is one of the best damn wrestlers in the WWF's lockerroom.
    • Rhodes takes the mic, he says that Vince McMahon is done screwing with him and other wrestlers. A revolution is coming.
    • Rhodes continues, saying that it all begins tonight. Vince McMahon screwed with their careers, and now they're going to make sure Vince pays.
  • Dustin Rhodes & Charlie Scaggs def. Bob Holly & Bart Gunn(M:81 C:63 O:72)
    • Scaggs pulls out no stops on this match, hitting move after move. Rhodes wasn't bad either.
    • Holly and Gunn put up a good fight, but were soon overcome by the sheer will to win by Rhodes and Scaggs.
    • Scaggs and Rhodes win via a 450 splash by Scaggs on Gunn.
  • Kane Interview(Rating:74)
    • Yada yada yada. This is getting old.
  • The Quebecers def. The Can-Am Connection(M:72 C:54 O:63)
    • They're the Mounties! Hey!
    • Ray Rougeau says that this Can-Am Connection is simply preposterous.
    • Quebecers get one back against Can-Am after Ray distracts the ref and Oulette hits Lafon with the mounty stick.
    • 3 on 2 beat-down ensues. They're the Mounties! Hey!
  • DX Interview(Rating:81)
    • Michaels and HHH are in a taped segment.
    • HHH jokes about him slapping the tradition out of JJ's face.
    • Michaels says that JJ should follow his hair and disappear.
    • HHH then says that he hopes JJ would finally decide to choose what's best for him, his health and his hairline... and leave.
    • Michaels reminds JJ that if he had the balls to show up tomorrow night on RAW, they had something WORSE in store for him.
    • Oh, and HHH says for JJ to SUCK THIS! *crotch chop*
  • New Age Outlaws def. 8-Ball & Skull(M:74 C:62 O:68)
    • The Outlaws are given a short scare by the DOA, who are looking to reestablish themselves after being beaten by Kane.
    • The DOA almost, ALMOST win. but Road Dogg manages to squirm out of a super flapjack.
    • Gunn is hot-tagged and is raining lefts and rights.
    • The ref finally loses control, BRAWL! BRAWL!
    • With the ref not looking, Dogg gets a chair and plants 8-ball in the back.
    • Outlaws win via a Rocker Dropper from Gunn.
    • Cole says that's it, and reminds us to watch RAW.

I really like the format you have going here, short, simple, effective. As for the content it also is simple but solid - a fact I truly like about your work, you always have the ability to put together a nice little diary alike your last WCW one. You could segment your match points however into points telling you about the match and then the main points of the match itself. Like have the first points indented to highlight they are something to note of background and then the rest normal to show the match. Well it's an idea.

Keep this up, good work.