World of Warcraft

Your Mom

I play WoW occasionally. I didn't bother making a fuss because both of the servers you play on are 'Normal' servers, and Normal servers sucking fuck. :shifty: If you fancy rolling on a PVPRP (or PVP) server, I'd be up for it though.

Not sure about PVPRP, but I'd be willing to try PVP. Which servers do normally roll on and what do you have thus far? I could easily roll a DK after patch 3.0.8 if you have high(ish) characters, etc.

My main (in terms of current activity) is a 37 BE mage on Ravenholdt. Also have a 19 UD Rogue there. My other main server is Defias Brotherhood: 60 Dwarf Warrior, 45 Human Paladin and 58 Draenei DK but I can't play him any more until I buy the expansion :shifty: I've got the usual few other piss about characters who're anywhere from 1 to 25 too.

Don't be too put off by the 'RP' part. It's still WoW... nobody *actually* RP's, all the RP part of PVPRP does, is filters out most of the wankers and cocks who play on PvP servers. :P

Well, you can apparently only roll a DK on certain realms at the moment. Tried to make a Tauren one on Garrosh, only to get a message saying I had to have a 55 or higher on the server. So I checked the forums and found a thread where someone said you apparently can only create one on a server that's been around for at least 3 months, and you may have to log on your account before you can even create a DK on another server.

So I'm trying to decide which server to make a Horde DK on (If I can't get one of the two names I have in mind, it won't be a Tauren, sadly); won't be a PvP one, though.

I play WoW occasionally. I didn't bother making a fuss because both of the servers you play on are 'Normal' servers, and Normal servers sucking fuck. :shifty: If you fancy rolling on a PVPRP (or PVP) server, I'd be up for it though.

Not sure about PVPRP, but I'd be willing to try PVP. Which servers do normally roll on and what do you have thus far? I could easily roll a DK after patch 3.0.8 if you have high(ish) characters, etc.

My main (in terms of current activity) is a 37 BE mage on Ravenholdt. Also have a 19 UD Rogue there. My other main server is Defias Brotherhood: 60 Dwarf Warrior, 45 Human Paladin and 58 Draenei DK but I can't play him any more until I buy the expansion :shifty: I've got the usual few other piss about characters who're anywhere from 1 to 25 too.

Don't be too put off by the 'RP' part. It's still WoW... nobody *actually* RP's, all the RP part of PVPRP does, is filters out most of the wankers and cocks who play on PvP servers. :P

Okay, I've rolled a BE DK on Ravenholt (called Týres) and a Dwarf DK on Defias (Muertamemnon). Not sure how much I'll be on them at first as I'll probs be concentrating on the one I'm rolling on Wildhammer first, but feel free to add me and chat and whatever if you see me on. :)

There's only one real RP server on the US side, Moon Guard, and the damn thing is always locked. And that pisses me off, since that's the server my twink is on :(

Today sucks because the patch broke arena and now Blizz has taken all the realms offline.

I'M ON A TEN DAY TRIAL HERE, BLIZZARD. I ONLY HAVE UNTIL SUNDAY TO PLAY MY DK!

Moon Guard's hardly the only "real RP server" on the US servers. I see RP on my server (Maelstrom, RPPVP) all the time - you just have to look for it (and it's usually at weird hours). The other morning I was on at 5am and their was a tauren and a blood elf RPing outside the AH in Silvermoon, and just last night I sat and watched about six people from different guilds get together in the Inn (again, in Silvermoon) and RP for about half an hour. There are at least three guilds on the server that have regular RP sessions - The Deathguard, a guild for Undead only, RPs a "patrol" from Brill to Tarren Mill, then there's Shindu Alar. SA is largely a blood elf guild that has RP events in Silvermoon. The other one I can think of is Earthmother Protectorate, they have RP sessions in Thunder Bluff and are a guild concerned with "the preservation of the Earthmother".

There's a lot of RP on Alliance side on Maelstrom as well. Moreso than on Horde side, from what my friends and guildmates tell me - they've almost all rolled Alliance at some point and played on Maelstrom.

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that Mick has a twink on an RP server and moans because it's the 'only one' around? :shifty:

That's like a vegetarian complaining about the lack of butchers shops.

I transferred my main there for a time, then went back to my old server. I made the twink while I was there, and it was then a medium-sized server.

Also, this is pretty neat:

http://wowgossip.livejournal.com/

Basically, this woman (well.. I think it's a woman..?) goes around to RP servers and rolls level 1 alts to check out the RP there. She's not reviewing RP realms or anything like that, she just takes a "tour" of the realm to see what the RP is like on Alliance/Horde. She hits the big RP hubs - Silvermoon and Brill and Goldshire and Stormwind.

I'm hoping she gets around to doing Maelstrom sometime.

It is tedious in the lower levels. For me, when I'm levelling a character, the game doesn't really pick up until about the mid 40's. That's not to say it isn't fun before then because it is - I just have more fun, personally, once I hit about the level 45 mark.

I'm worried that no one plays the low level stuff anymore and by the time I'm high I won't be good enough to do raids and such.

Like I've ran into an epic quest where it recommendeds I have someone playing with me but it just seems to be a pain in the ass.

Use the Looking for group/Looking for more thingamajig. Or ask for help in General.

Wasn't too thrilled with the Tauren starting area; see if you can get to Orgrimmar and do a few quests over there. Its a long run, but worth it, in my opinion. (Besides, you can take a Zeppelin over to the Forsaken area from there)

Thanks for the advice that's really useful (Y)

What kind of server should I be looking for?

And what character is easy to level soloish and is in high demand for raids?

Depends on what you're interested in. If you like fighting other players, join a PvP server. If you don't, join a PvE one. (You can still do PvP on pve servers, through duels and battlegrounds) If you like RPing, you'll have to do research yourself and figure out which RP servers people actually RP on....

Classes easy to solo: Hunter, Paladin, Shaman, Warlock. Mages probably are, too. (I would mention Deathknights, but you have to have a lvl 55+ character and the WoTLK expansion to make one)

In high demand for raids: Depends on the raid, but any high DPS or healing class.

Warlocks are pretty fun, but I will give you this piece of advice: If you ever decide to make an Alliance Warlock, don't make him a Gnome. Mine is a Gnome Warlock, and I keep having to adjust camera angles when I use the Voidwalker pet while running him, because the Voidwalker (which is the best pet to use while soloing) gets in the way a lot since its a bodyguard pet.

Thanks for the advice that's really useful (Y)

What kind of server should I be looking for?

And what character is easy to level soloish and is in high demand for raids?

Depends on what you're interested in. If you like fighting other players, join a PvP server. If you don't, join a PvE one. (You can still do PvP on pve servers, through duels and battlegrounds) If you like RPing, you'll have to do research yourself and figure out which RP servers people actually RP on....

Classes easy to solo: Hunter, Paladin, Shaman, Warlock. Mages probably are, too. (I would mention Deathknights, but you have to have a lvl 55+ character and the WoTLK expansion to make one)

In high demand for raids: Depends on the raid, but any high DPS or healing class.

Warlocks are pretty fun, but I will give you this piece of advice: If you ever decide to make an Alliance Warlock, don't make him a Gnome. Mine is a Gnome Warlock, and I keep having to adjust camera angles when I use the Voidwalker pet while running him, because the Voidwalker (which is the best pet to use while soloing) gets in the way a lot since its a bodyguard pet.

Main main is a Tauren Hunter and that has been fun as hell to level, partially due to the fact you have a fair amount of freedom over the pet you choose (which, in some ways dictates the way you play) as well as the fact that you can solo stuff of a higher level than a fair few, as you're effectively 1.5 characters. I'd recommend taking some kind of cat as a pet as they are great all rounders, though I've recently being hearing great things coming from scorpids.

Going back to the starting area issues... Mulgore is by far my favourite starting area - everything is so plush and seems to fit the mythology of the Tauren. Though, I've heard complaints that its a bit too big in comparison to some other areas. I don't mind it.

Heck, I'll give a quick run through of my opinion on each starting area (I'll stick to Horde as that's what I've played on the most):

Undead - Not bad, though I got a little bit bored when trying to level a Priest there. An offensive, more dps based class should enjoy it, though. It's very atmospheric. You'll probably have to come here to level at some point (Tarren Mill, etc).

Orc/Troll - I found it perfectly acceptable, but very boring second/third time around as the colours are quite drab and I got sick of killing millions of boars, etc.

Blood Elf (Burning Crusade Expansion) - Good secondary area. The very early levels are a bit crap, I think, but damn it's a pretty area. Plus, once you've got to Silvermoon itself and eventually on to Ghostlands its pretty good.

What's everyone's favourite zones then? I think mine would be Mulgore, Winterspring and Nagrand. The latter is probably my favourite as its very Huntery.

The thing about Hunter pets is that there are a lot of good choices and only a few really bad ones.

http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/ - Hunter pet site

My main is a 77 Night Elf Hunter, and I never really settled on one pet until the mid-20's. I used a windserpent as my only pet from the mid-20's until about lvl 62, when I picked up a wasp (Blacksting, the named one in Zangarmarsh). I've also got a wolf (Rema, the named giant wolf in Blade's Edge Mtns....which sadly shrinks to normal size once tamed), and I use it most of the time. Have tried using a warp stalker and a moth, but I ended up dropping both of them. (I'm mainly Marksman, so no exotic pets for me)

A lot of Hunters recommend gorillas as a pet, but you can't get one until the early 30s. I've never tried one, myself.

I definitely recommend avoiding bears, crocs, turtles, bats or owls. Bears and crocs are okay as tanking pets, but they're too slow in combat, in my opinion. Turtles are too slow, period. Bats and owls are bad choices unless you plan on ONLY soloing, because the sound of their wings flapping will drive other players nuts after a while and they also tend to get in the way of other players a lot. You also want to keep in mind what pets eat; you ideally want one that eats more than one type of food; I recommend a pet that will eat bread and/or cheese, since you can find vendors that sell those fairly easily. You can also come across fish and meat pretty easily, though. (You might want to take up fishing to deal with a fish eater; there are some fish vendors, but catching them yourself is better)

Winter got it right; get a cat or scorpid for your starting pet, if you're Horde. Cat, spider or wolf if you're Alliance. (There are no scorpids anywhere near the Alliance starting areas)

As for the starting areas, Winter forgot to mention the one major drawback to Taurens; they're the most isolated Horde race. It's a long, tedious, mind-numblingly boring run to Orgrimmar from Thunder Bluff....and that's not counting the run TO Thunder Bluff. The Undead start fairly close to the Undercity, and you can get to Orgrimmar and Silvermoon City easily from there - there's a zeppelin that flies to Orgrimmar and an Orb of Translocation to Silvermoon City. (Alliance-side, Night Elves used to be as isolated as Tauren, but they added a harbor to Stormwind and changed the destination of one of the boats in Auberdine to go there - it used to go to Menethil Harbor in the Wetlands, and you had to run all the way from there to Ironforge, while trying to avoid aggroing crocs until you got out of the Wetlands).

Alliance-wise, all the starting areas, except for the Draenei, are pretty boring. The Humans' starting area is practically right next to Stormwind, and the Dwarves\Gnomes starting area is probably the hardest to get out of in one piece if you want to start a particular race but go hunt in another's area, since you have to run through a tunnel with hostile mobs in it to get out.

Edited by GhostMachine