World of Warcraft

Your Mom

Probably. I dunno, though, Blizzard claims to have "several expansions" lined up after WoD, so he may come later. Probably in a late-game WoD patch I bet though.

Also, the new character models look great.

Way overdue on those models, but they do look good. Bonus points for the HBK pose in the middle panel.

I don't like the "Boost-to-90" ability, though. Seems like someone read about EQ doing it and thought "Hey, our players should be able to skip entire storylines as well! That's right, we should be able to tell them that there used to a be a Lich guy who could raise the dead, but now he's just some dude we gangbang every morning."

Meh, I'm not too plussed about it. I figure the majority of people doing it are going to be people that have leveled multiple times through all those zones, so they're not really missing anything if they boost an alt up to 90. I've leveled from 1-90 four different times now, 1-80 more than that, and 1-85 a few times as well. I don't think I'm going to miss anything groundbreaking if I decide to boost my level 41 monk to 90 because I want to play him through the new expansion.

• 11 months later...

So Warlords comes out in 4 days. Anyone going to pick it up as a first-day purchase? I would love to, but I'm broke. I figure once Christmas rolls around and I have a little Christmas/birthday money I'll pick Warlords up and resub - I've been wanting to resub lately anyway, and I'm making sad faces over here because I missed the 10th Anniversary event. Mostly the BG and the pet.

Also!:

I've been putting off pre-ordering it for a while now for some reason. Will be picking it up at some point next week.

Not happy with the changes they've made to Disc Priests but we'll see how it balances out at 100 I guess. BG's are where most of my time is spent so wasn't ever great seeing us paired with the Russians. It was bad enough as it was with the amount of bot's filling the battlegrounds.

The last time I played I spent most of my time doing PVP as well. I had an arena team with a guy from my cousin's old band and we could routinely get to about 1700-1750 in 2's, but usually capped out there - which is still kind of good considering we ran Arms Warrior/Ret Paladin a lot of the time. Apparently Ret's crazy good right now, but I'm more interested in seeing how the new Warrior changes play out, especially in BGs and arenas.

Pre-ordered this way back and just recently finished levelling a shammy. I have Rogue, Priest and Shammy to choose from.

Priest is out since they have butchered my favourite spec, holy and I played rogue for most of MoP. I like the idea of a shaman because enhancement is totally new to me (and was a lot of fun to level), and having resto offspec will serve my occasional urge to heal.

Plus, Ghost Wolf is my favourite ability of all time :)

So Warlords comes out in 4 days. Anyone going to pick it up as a first-day purchase? I would love to, but I'm broke. I figure once Christmas rolls around and I have a little Christmas/birthday money I'll pick Warlords up and resub - I've been wanting to resub lately anyway, and I'm making sad faces over here because I missed the 10th Anniversary event. Mostly the BG and the pet.

Also!:

had you waited 4 more days, it would've been a year between your last WoW post and your most recent WoW post

This has been the messiest launch since Burning Crusade. DDOS attacks (and conspiracy nuts who believe Blizzard made them up to "cover their ass", no, really), all sorts of awful lag, and Blizzard's solution to too many players logging on being "we'll reduce the max population for all servers, thus forcing players on high population realms to wait in queue for hours on end just to play our game". I intend to main my warrior like I have every expansion since Cataclysm, but right now he's stuck at level 90 because he's on a high pop realm that's always locked because of the max pop reduction. There's supposed to be a Saturday (!) maintenance with hardware upgrades incoming to try and alleviate those issues, but I'm not holding my breath. Instead, I've been playing a rogue on a medium pop server some of my friends play on, and so far it's been fun.

Horrendous login issues, realm stability etc. aside, I'm really digging Warlords. My blood elf rogue's level 92 and just got into the Gorgrond zone after spending his time building a garrison and helping the Frostwolf Clan stand against the Iron Horde. Speaking of garrisons, they're a lot more fun than I thought they'd be. I was hyped for the idea as it was because it's the closest thing to player housing we've had in WoW, and it's kind of addictive. It's probably a really unfavorable analogy, but it's like a Facebook or mobile game where you start a task and come back 30 minutes or 1 hour later to reap your rewards. It's kind of addicting, and when I'm out questing I keep an eye on my garrison tab just to see if my garrison followers have completed any missions.

On to some LORE AND PLOT RELATED SPOILERS YAY (like you care):

I did not see the Iron Wolf being Fenris, Ga'nar and Durotan's brother. So that entire time when you're helping Ga'nar exact vengeance on The Iron Wolf, you're helping Ga'nar murder his own nephews.

Also, the ending cinematic for Frostfire Ridge was super badass. RIP Ga'nar, you'll forever live on in my heart as that badass warrior who charged headlong into the Iron Horde and slew as many orcs as possible before being cut down. :(

Now that things have quieted down, the DDOS attacks appear to have stopped and Blizzard seems like they have a handle on things - I'm level 100. Have been for a few days. So far, I'm loving this expansion. Been doing a lot of battlegrounds and running around collecting hidden treasures all over Draenor while I wait for Season 1 of Warlords to start.

Also, some lore/Nagrand zone spoilers, and easily my new favorite in-game cinematic:

• 8 months later...

As great as the 90-100 experience was in WoD, the expansion has been a huge flop to me (and many others). There's so much unfulfilled potential and so many unfinished stories, and now it looks like 6.2 will be the final major content patch. I've not even bothered to re-subscribe to try out shipyards and Tanaan, since nobody has much good to say about them.

With Blizzcon not until November and that the most likely place to announce the next expansion, we could be looking at another 12-16 months without any new content of significance. Pretty grim when you consider how little there is to do at endgame in this particular expansion.

With that in mind, I recently signed up for the Dalaran WoW legacy server. It's patched up to Wrath of the Lich King, so it's before they reimagined the entire world for Cataclysm or screwed up classes by making them all essentially the same. With around 2000 players on most of the time, I'm really enjoying the return to old school WoW. People talking, having to wait for mobs to respawn, having to group up to take down annoying elites, getting surprised and butt-fucked by Son of Aragul in Silverpine...

Good times. Precious memories.

To be fair actually, levelling and early 80 gearing through WOTLK was probably the most fun I've ever had in WoW. Post Ulduar I enjoyed far less.

My nostalgia for TBC probably just comes from the fact it was my first experience. That, and it had by fair the best raid progression.

Haven't really enjoyed anything since WOTLK. I played Molten WoW for a while but seems they're going towards Cata and MoP now - plus it had like 20x levelling/drop rates which gets old fast.

Actually like the look of that Dalaran WoW site. Might give it a go when I'm back home. Always nice to be able to play old school WoW without feeling like you have to play it because you are subscribed.

To be fair actually, levelling and early 80 gearing through WOTLK was probably the most fun I've ever had in WoW. Post Ulduar I enjoyed far less.

My nostalgia for TBC probably just comes from the fact it was my first experience. That, and it had by fair the best raid progression.

Haven't really enjoyed anything since WOTLK. I played Molten WoW for a while but seems they're going towards Cata and MoP now - plus it had like 20x levelling/drop rates which gets old fast.

Actually like the look of that Dalaran WoW site. Might give it a go when I'm back home. Always nice to be able to play old school WoW without feeling like you have to play it because you are subscribed.

I'm liking it so far. It's slow going (as it should be), so I've just got up to level fifteen now. Splashed out on a donator membership so I could get some heirloom gear. I forgot how tough it is making ends meet in the pre-Cata days. Just made for first gold and it's almost all gone already >_<

Signed up and got everything installed/patched tonight. Will be starting tomorrow - anything you can recommend/advise? Probably going alliance as usual - possibly a warlock as I always wanted to play one back in the day bit only levelled it to like 40.

Sign up on Algalon (sic) as Kirin Tor has had some issues. You'll probably want to download the old mods like Quest Helper, Cartographer etc too. 

I'm on there as horde, but has a NE hunter I'll probably level later  

• Like 1

Sign up on Algalon (sic) as Kirin Tor has had some issues. You'll probably want to download the old mods like Quest Helper, Cartographer etc too. 

I'm on there as horde, but has a NE hunter I'll probably level later  

Got started last night with an Alliance Mage. I remembered how fun mages were in WOTLK, especially fire spec, so I decided "fuck it, I'll level as fire, YOLO".

I'm level 7 now and not so sure! Died like 4 times already. Retail, easy mode WoW where you can do 1-20 in like an hour, has ruined me. I'd forgotten how squishy mages are at early levels with no CC. Fargodeep mine was a nightmare!

Really enjoying the nostalgia kick though. I loved WoW when it was harder. I loved that there were raids that only 10% of the population could do. During TBC, before I joined a raiding guild, I remember pugging Karazahn and freaking out with my mate when we managed to get a healer in full tier 6. Those sort of things made the game fun. For me, everyone being able to do everything is not fun.

Population seems good too. Horde side had 1100 online I think, with 850 on alliance. More than enough. The only other private server I've played on (Molten WoW - now Warmane i believe) had double that, but the community was woeful and it was x20 rates and all that stuff.

Somehow managed to delete my heirlooms switching characters, so waiting for the support guys to sort that out for me. Something tells me I will need them!

What's your toon's name? I'll keep my eye out for you.

Might roll an alliance hunter today. Warlock is fun, but I'm a little ADD when it comes to leveling toons. Hunters have always been my favourite, and my first 100 was an Undead Night Elf Hunter.

I've only died one on my 'lock so far, got caught up in Fenris Keep and my stupid Voidwalker got caught on some furniture. That place is a fucking death trap. Over in The Barrens now, as there are no 18-21 quests in Silverpines to occupy me <_<

What's your toon's name? I'll keep my eye out for you.

Might roll an alliance hunter today. Warlock is fun, but I'm a little ADD when it comes to leveling toons. Hunters have always been my favourite, and my first 100 was an Undead Night Elf Hunter.

I've only died one on my 'lock so far, got caught up in Fenris Keep and my stupid Voidwalker got caught on some furniture. That place is a fucking death trap. Over in The Barrens now, as there are no 18-21 quests in Silverpines to occupy me <_<

Know what you mean about levelling. Had to stop myself rolling Priest as I played Priest & Rogue all the way through Lich King. Always wanted a Hunter and Warlock, but the thought of any kind of pet management irritates me! Frost Mage water elemental is bad enough!

I'm dreading the Murloc quests in Elwynn Forest. I remember how annoying those were and I literally have Frostbolt, Fireball and Fire Blast right now. Pulling more than one mob is death.