WWFE Brand Extension: Original Recipe

tqwcw

This Week's Wrestling Spectator News and Notes

TOP STORY: The Hogan/Bischoff/Universal group is planning to begin taping shows in July. They have secured an 8-week clearance on FOX starting in August. If the 8-week series performs well enough, the program will be added to the regular lineup. Vince McMahon has instructed Jim Ross to make signing away potential Hogan/Bischoff hires to long-term WWFE deals a priority. Ultimate Warrior, Roddy Piper, Vader, Jake Roberts, Lex Luger, Sid Eudy, The Road Warriors, Greg Valentine, The Rock 'n Roll Express, Bob Backlund, The Harris Brothers, Nikita Koloff, Larry Zbyszko, Steve Corino, Brian James, and Ted DiBiase are all said to be among the names that have already been signed by Hogan and Bischoff. Needless to say, their approach is going to be to rely on brand names to draw viewership. Bischoff is working to repair Hogan's relationship with Randy Savage in the hopes of bringing Savage into the promotion.

Ratings:

- The cage match main event on RAW was enough to keep viewership steady; the show did a 6.8 rating.

- Nitro's composite climbed back up to 5.4 (+.1). The plan is to continue building primarily around Ric Flair, Goldberg, and Booker T for the time being.

- Norman Smiley has been signed to a 2-year contract. Jimmy Hart, who is also working as a road agent, has signed a 6-month performer's contract. Hart had been working with Bischoff and Hogan on the Universal startup but was made too tempting an offer by WWFE. Smiley, Hart, Bam Bam Bigelow, Shannon Moore, and Dusty Rhodes have all been added to the WCW.com Stars page.

- Grand Masta Sexay has been removed from WWF.com's roster in accordance with the angle that played out on RAW. Brian Lawler remains under contract to WWFE. It is unclear whether he's been taken off the road for disciplinary reasons, to rehab an injury, or to head to OVW or elsewhere. Scotty 2 Hotty will likely be repackaged as a singles wrestler.

- More developmental signings to report: Kim Neilson, who has worked for Dusty Rhodes's TCW, has started at OVW. WWFE has also signed Veronica Stevens (the sole female graduate of Shawn Michaels's wrestling school) and former WCW valets Sharmell "Paisley" Sullivan and Shannon "Daffney" Spruill to development deals.

- The WWF creative team has finalized its card for King of the Ring on 6/24 and has tentative plans in place for top matches at SummerSlam, as well.

TV previews for next week:

- RAW: WWF.com indicates that the show will be built around the first four of eight total King of the Ring qualifying matches. As far as the main event scene goes, Rock will be at RAW with "huge news" coming on the heels of his and Kane's cage victory last week. Also, Goldust will go through his psychological evaluation backstage at the show.

- Nitro: The Clash will be three days away by the time Nitro arrives. WCW.com is hyping that Dusty Rhodes was outraged by the fiasco that unfolded at the conclusion of last week's show and has booked an "unprecedented" main event for Nitro as a result. Also, Kurt Angle has a "special challenge" for Sting. Scott Steiner (w/Stacy) vs. Norman Smiley has been announced, as well.

Off-camera...

- At RAW, Darius (Kevin Fertig) d. Crash Holly in a pre-show darkmatch. After RAW: Rock, Undertaker, and Kane cleaned house of the Coalition.

- At Nitro, Norman Smiley d. Michael Modest in a pre-show darkmatch. Post-show, Booker T beat Ric Flair and Goldberg in a quick Triple Threat match.

This week's house show results:

•WWF

- APA d. Val Venis & Steven Richards

- Scotty 2 Hotty d. Dean Malenko

- Kevin Fertig d. Crash Holly

- Rhyno d. Billy Gunn

- Raven d. Eddie Guerrero by disqualification

- Goldust & Trish Stratus d. William Regal & Terri

- Edge & Christian d. Kings of the World & The Dudleyz in Triple Threat Matches

- Chyna d. Ivory

- Bros. of Destruction d. Stone Cold & Triple H

•WCW

- The Hardyz (w/Lita) d. Juvi & Psicosis and Kaientai to earn a shot at Kidman & Mysterio later on

- Disqo d. Shannon Moore (w/Jimmy Hart)

- NC-17 & Mike Awesome d. Impact Playaz (w/Dawn Marie) & The Bull

- Torrie d. Stacy in Bikini Contests

- Rob Van Dam & Diamond Dallas Page d. Jeff Jarrett & Mike Sanders

- Big Poppa Pump (w/Stacy) d. Hugh Morrus

- Goldberg d. Kanyon & Shawn Stasiak in Handicap Matches

- Kidman & Mysterio d. The Hardyz (w/Lita)

- Booker T & Sting d. Ric Flair & Kurt Angle

Edited by tqwcw

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, great RAW and Nitro (especially Nitro). It's great to see Rhodes back, since it gives you an opportunity to ressurrect part of the storyline(s) that WCW had going before the WWF purchased the company in March of '01.

I'm really glad you took what I said about Booker and the US title and did something about it that didn't involve vacating the title. Making Booker pull double duty at the Clash is in keeping with what happened at the Night of Champions, and also fits his gimmick as it was in '01 at the time of the WWF buyout, and pitting him against Kanyon is a great idea that, fortunately, you had already been sort of building towards as part of the mini-feud between Flair, Booker, and Goldberg.

Although I would have personally liked to see Shannon become the #1 Contender to the WCW CW title, I can see why you went with the Dragon. I'm also interested in seeing where you're going to go with Shannon's new 'solo artist' gimmick.

I like what you're doing in regards to Bigelow; he, Sanders, and DDP all have similar styles, which makes them a good trio to use against each other. I'm glad that we're gonna get to see Sanders vs. DDP at the Clash, and wouldn't be surprised at all if Bigelow ends up becoming involved in the match in some capacity.

Jarrett's alliance with Juvi and Psicosis seems, at first glance, to be a bit of an odd pairing (since you wouldn't automatically think about Jarrett finding two Mexican Cruiserweights to do his dirty work for him, especially not during '01), but you're finding a way to make it work. I'm looking forward to RVD vs. Jarrett at the Clash.

On the RAW side of things, things are really starting to heat up between the Coalition and the guys (Rock, Kane, and 'Taker) opposing them, and I'm continuing to enjoy where you've been taking this storyline.

Even though I think Benoit/Jericho vs. E&C is a great storyline, there's a part of me that would like to see the two Chrises given a shot at the main event and the Coalition; that being said, though, I'm still enjoying what you're doing with the Chrises and E&C.

The Raven/Eddie stuff is interesting, moreso because you wouldn't necessarily think of them facing off with each other (at least not in '01), and could be a great way to give Raven the major push he so sorely deserves (hint, hint ;)).

Although I don't really like Steph's gimmick when she's a heel, I do like her, and this thing you've got going with her, Trish, and Chyna continues to interest me, although I do think you should look at phasing Chyna out of things and just letting Steph and Trish go at it. I'd also suggest finding a way to get Ivory back into the mix, as well as women like Jacqueline and Molly Holly, since the longer the WWF Women's division remains essentially a 'one-woman show', the more risk you run of de-valuing the Women's title even more than it already was at the time.

The Goldust/Regal feud has taken an interesting turn, although I'd suggest that you be careful and not stray too far into political incorrectness with this 'Goldust as a lunatic' angle, since it's something that could turn into a disaster if mishandled.

P.S.: In regards to a potential reformation of the Horsemen, I disagree with you that Kanyon and Stasiak aren't Horseman material; Stasiak, gimmicks aside, is/was a great technical wrestler (much like Mr. Perfect/Curt Hennig), and Kanyon, while not a technical genius, has the 'look' that'd make him, IMO, the kind of person that Flair'd pick to fill one of the slots in the Horsemen were the group going to be reformed.

P.P.S.: I don't want to unduly influence you, but since you've taken my advice before, I wanted to tell you that I think it'd be a big mistake (in terms of de-valuing the US title and Booker's credibility as a champion in general) if you make him lose the US title in his first defense of it. Although it would make more sense for him to not be encumbered by double-champ status for a prolonged period of time, it's also important that the US title not lose value and that Booker not lose credibility as a champion in general. I'm not telling you what to do here, but it's something to keep in mind.

Once again, good job with RAW and Nitro. The Clash looks to be a great PPV, and I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation.

RAW

Well damn, kind of got behind there a bit with the shows and let ya get two up before I got a chance to reply. But, have no fear, The Enforcer is here....

Have I mentioned how well you portray these characters. You’ve got their manners down, and I’m pretty sure you could write the interviews if you wanted to try, but I’m pretty sure this probably keeps you from getting burned out, so who can complain really.

-First section, with McMahon and the rest of the gang coming to the ring and making their matches. The eerie calm was very well done, and it seems like something McMahon would do at this time. Sexay being fired seemed right out of the blue, but I’m thinking it had to have something to do with the things the game throws at you, not to mention it would be something I could see happening in real life at this time. The Michaels/Taker confrontation was very well done, and again, played out perfectly. Their talk about history brought back some memories, Shawn should have reminded him about winning that one. Also leads to the main event with The Undertaker getting involved. McMahon is definitely not going to be happy next week. Undertaker just may have hell to pay.

-Love the portrayal of the relationship between Austin and Debra. Seems like something he would do, and also kind of brings back the memories of Jeff Jarrett before he left WWF for WCW. Haku wants a bit of Molly action, but then again who doesn’t.....can’t believe people actually try and tell me that that girl wasn’t hot.

-Poor Paul, he’s always on the short end of the stick isn’t he. Always throws out a plan without thinking of who’s really going to be there to back him up, because let’s face it, The Coalition doesn’t give a damn about him.

-Trish/Chyna was kind of anti-climactic, but you’re right, Stephanie does have a nice hypochondriasis.

-Rhyno going over Benoit was good, and it leads to a nice confrontation between the E & C with Jericho, setting up a nice handicap match. Knew Jericho wasn’t coming out of that without a scratch. He won the match, but he really doesn’t look like a winner, and now I’ve got Jim Ross syndrome when I say that business is about to pick up in this feud.

-Regal/Goldust continues to impress, and I have a feeling Goldust is coming out as Dustin during this segment. It would be funnier to see Goldust, in uniform, just with a pair of glasses on to make himself look more “esteemed.” That would be funny as hell. This feud continues to be my favourite.

-Did you notice you’ve got “Passing The Buck” as a headline for two different segments? Eddie and Saturn aren’t going to last much longer, specially if Eddie keeps digging up the past. With Kane pre-occupied with Hunter, this gives Raven something to do before Kane inevitably goes back to the mid-cards again.

-Blah! Dudley’s bore me now, and Stevie getting jobbed doesn’t earn any points, so NEXT!

-LMAO, why does nobody like poor Billy Gunn. I’ve always had a soft spot for him when it comes right down to it, and this segment to me was golden. I think it would have come off even better in real life just because it had Faarooq in it.

Nitro

-You’re throwing a lot into the segments now, with the intertwining of the storylines. The stuff with Flair, Booker, Goldberg and Kanyon is working out very nicely. Something tells me that Booker’s going to pull a Bret Hart, losing the U.S title and winning the main event. Storm and Credible getting a push here even though they’re pulling the typical tag team getting placed in this situation, but it’s still good to see them in a main event so soon. Not a big fan of Dusty Rhodes, so him being part of WCW isn’t a big thing for me, but I do have to admit that he was one of the most well known figures of WCW in terms of announcing and backstage stuff, so it’s fitting. Anyone reading knew the Goldberg/Booker stuff would explode pretty quickly.

-If this was the point where Disqo got a massive push, I’d have to dance around like a silly fool, but it seems that you’ve saved me that embarrassing affliction. Once more Angle goes crazy, tries to break someone’s ankle and Sting makes the save. This can only last so long, and if Angle doesn’t beat Sting, choppy choppy your pee pee *makes scissors motion*

-Torrie/Stacey segment wasn’t much this week except to see Steiner’s paranoid delusions. I’m still voting on Test being the mystery partner.

-Another guy who doesn’t think ahead before coming up with a plan. Poor Sanders just got mugged by Bigelow. It’s always cool when you think he could be used as hired muscle. Anyone see the movie Major Paine? This kind of reminded me of that situation in a way.

-Juvi and Psicosis with Jarrett...yeah, definitely an odd pairing. Would have been more interesting had it just been Jarrett/Van Dam

Not much really other then that to comment on. Everything else is just kind of there, but still solidly booked.

IPB Image

Monday, 05/21/01

Minneapolis, MN

Hosted by Jim Ross & Paul Heyman

STONE COLD TO ROCK: KNOW YOUR ROLE AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

The Rock's big news was revealed a few segments into the broadcast this week when the Great One made his way to the ring and greeted the People of Minneapolis. Rock recounted in dramatic fashion his triumphant win last week with Kane against Stone Cold and Triple H within the confines of a steel cage. Rock said that Stone Cold and the Coalition would surely want to forget what happened, but the millions -- and millions -- of Rock's fans would remember. The WWF Board of Directors remembered, too; turns out they'd left a message on the People's Answering Machine while the Great One was enjoying a slice or two of pie a la mode over the weekend. They were so impressed by what they saw last Monday night that they'd already decided what they wanted to see at King of the Ring. They wanted to see the Rock lay the smack down. They wanted to see Stone Cold Steve Austin beaten from pillar to post. They wanted to see the return of the People's Champ! But Rock said he told the committee that he couldn't promise them he'd be content to limit himself to the traditional rules of the ring; he would have more in store of Stone Cold's candyass than armdrags and chinlocks. It apparently wasn't a problem for the committee, because they'd proceeded to hand him everything he wanted on a silver platter. Specifically, they gave him a Falls Count Anywhere match against Stone Cold Steve Austin for the World Wrestling Federation Championship at King of the Ring! It didn't take long for Stone Cold to react to the news; he came to the ring with Debra. Insisting that his wife hold the microphone for him, Stone Cold declared the signing of the match "a load of crap." The Rock wasn't fit to wax Mr. McMahon's car, let along challenge Stone Cold for the WWF Title. Stone Cold instructed Debra to hand him one of his imported beers. Rock told Stone Cold that if he was so opposed to the idea of checking into the smackdown hotel at King of the Ring, they could settle this sumbitch tonight, live on RAW. Rock said he would start by taking Stone Cold's $50 bottle of beer, turn it sideways, and stick it straight up his candyass. Debra couldn't help but crack a smile, and a disgusted Austin sent her to the back. Austin told Rock he would come down to the ring and kick his teeth in -- if he were a lesser man. But considering that he had the grace and poise of a Vincent Kennedy McMahon, he would restrain himself. Austin said Rock had always been second best, and that nothing would change at KOTR. Rock then set the stage for KOTR and his inevitable title win, and the crowd chanted, "Rocky, Rocky, Rocky," in accordance with his narration. Having heard enough, Stone Cold turned his back and walked out, keeping a firm grasp on the WWF Championship belt. JR and Heyman reacted to the news of the big KOTR main event.

Back from commercial backstage, Austin paced and Mr. McMahon asked him what he planned to do. Stone Cold then happened to notice the Right to Censor contingent across the room. They were discarding copies of the latest WWF Divas magazine. Stone Cold approached them. Steven Richards praised Stone Cold for his recent change in attitude, expressing his opinion that Austin was a champion the WWF could be proud of. Austin appreciated Richards's remarks, and then asked the RTC leader if he'd heard the vulgarities that had spewed forth from the mouth of the Rock earlier. Richards agreed with Austin: Rock was a major source if not the principal source of the immorality that was plaguing the WWF. "He's always talking about excrement," Val Venis observed. "And orifices," added Goodfather. Buchanan and Ivory nodded in disgust. Richards said it was high time the RTC took a public stand against Rock. Richards noted that Goodfather knew Rock well, and assigned him the task of ridding the World Wrestling Federation of the toxin that is the Rock tonight. Goodfather told Richards and Austin to consider it done. JR noted that Austin had just ensured that Right to Censor's next crusade would be directed straight at The Rock!

Goodfather later came to the ring for the match. Before Rock's entrance, Goodfather took the mic and talked about how his life had changed for the better since he'd stepped off the Ho Train for the last time. He called Rock out for his opportunity to see the light. Rock entered. Goodfather asked him if he would reevaluate things -- if he would rededicate himself to being the positive role model he could so easily be. Rock didn't address the question and instead suggested that it hadn't been Steven Richards's propaganda that led Goodfather to make a life change, but rather that it had been the gonorrhea. Goodfather was scandalized and took a shot at Rock. Rock blocked the punch and the match got underway. Despite Rock's early success, the bigger man enjoyed a string of offense that included power slams and a nasty legdrop. Goodfather choked Rock in the corner, suggesting that he apologize for all of the corrupting venom he's spewed. Rock responded with the international symbol for "up yours," which further enraged the censor. Goodfather whipped Rock hard into the corner and set up for the move formerly known as the Ho Train and now being called "The Sanitizer." Rock got a boot up at the last minute, though, successfully countering the attempted splash. Goodfather stood up but received an ambitious slam by the Rock. Rock then hit the People's DDT. Goodfather had a little steam left, but that was taken care of by the Rock Bottom. The elbowpads came off, and-- People's Elbow! 1, 2, 3. Rock celebrated his victory by posing on the top turnbuckle. RTC members Richards, Venis, and Buchanan soon stormed the ring, however. Rock took on all four censors while he could but was eventually overcome. Stone Cold Steve Austin then came to the ring and the RTC held Rock while Austin brazenly slapped the Great One across the face. "What does your little Board of Directors think of you know, you piece of trash?" Austin taunted. Austin delivered a Stunner to the limp Rock. As RAW concluded, while Ivory passed around non-alcoholic beers, Austin stood at mid-ring holding his championship belt over a fallen Rock.

SCHISMS, SIBLINGS, AND SINS

Backstage at RAW, the Radicalz sat down to a group meal in order to resolve the tension that had arisen between them the week before. Latino Heat seemed more interested in discussing the finer points of arroz con pollo with Saturn and Malenko than he did actually addressing their issues. A further complication arose when Raven approached the table. Eddie suggested that Raven move along, but the Noxious Nonconformist couldn't help but observe to Saturn and Malenko what a shame it was. Curious, Saturn and Malenko asked Raven what he was talking about. Raven reminded Saturn of how he had had the testicular fortitude to walk away from him when he (Raven) was holding him down in WCW. Raven noted that it was happening all over again and yet Saturn didn't even realize it. Eddie took exception to the implication that he was exploiting Saturn and Malenko. Saturn and Malenko wondered if Raven was right, and walked away from Eddie in order to ponder the question. Eddie followed them in an attempt to reassure them. Raven seemed satisfied by what he had accomplished. He was then approached by Triple H and Mr. McMahon, who continue to be thick as thieves. McMahon informed Raven that he would be claiming that Hardcore Title shot against Kane later that night, whether Raven liked it or not. The Game wished Raven the best of luck, and even did Raven the courtesy of bringing him a box of items he might find useful later on. The box contained such handy hardcore items as golf clubs, hockey sticks, hubcaps, and a stereo. Raven accepted the donation and left. Roving reporter Michael Cole then approached the father- and son-in-law and asked where Shawn Michaels was this week -- and if his absence had anything to do with the strong suggestion made by the Undertaker the week before that he had HBK in his sights. Triple H lambasted Michael Cole for his presumptuousness and clarified the situation. Shawn Michaels, HHH explained, had to cope every day of his life with the devastating effects of the back injury that forced him to retire from active competition. Just last week, for example, Michaels suffered a setback while out for a simple jog. As a result, Michaels was at home attempting to rehab this week. "I'll be sure to let him know how concerned you were, Cole," HHH spat.

Later, when Vince settled in to watch the Hardcore Title match on a monitor backstage, associates Brisco and Patterson approached and asked Mr. McMahon what had become of Paul Bearer; had he bailed out on them? McMahon told the stooges that Paul had dropped the ball and that the Coalition would be going forward with its efforts to eliminate Bearer's son, with or without his support. Had Bearer walked out for good last week? Would Kane and the Undertaker be satisfied with his simply fading back into the woodwork?

Raven entered first for the Hardcore Match and was followed by champion Kane. When Kane reached the ringside area, Raven leapt from the top turnbuckle down to the floor, nailing Kane in the head with one of the hubcaps provided by Triple H. Kane was on his knees by the ringsteps, and so Raven hit him with a dropkick to the head, causing Kane's skull to bounce off the steps. The match would proceed in such a violent fashion. Raven moved to nail Kane in the head with a hockey stick, but Kane blocked the shot, broke the stick on two, and drove the two pieces simultaneously into the side of Raven's head. Back in the ring, Raven begged for mercy when Kane planned to bring a chair down onto Raven's head. Raven seized an opening and grabbed Kane down below with a pair of grilling tongs. Raven dropped Kane head first onto the chair. He attempted a DDT onto said chair but Kane instead picked Raven up and slammed him right on top of it. Kane signaled for a chokeslam, and JR was sure Kane was on his way to retaining the title. But, in a shocking moment, Shawn Michaels hopped over the ringside barrier, made his way into the ring, and gave Kane Sweet Chin Music. Michaels then rolled Raven on top of the unconscious Kane; all of this was, of course, perfectly legal under Hardcore rules. Mike Chiota counted the three, and Raven regained the Hardcore Championship! JR couldn't believe that Triple H had lied about Shawn Michaels's condition. It was all a setup, and we had a new Hardcore Champion! Dammit! HBK flashed his cocky smile. Business picked up when The Undertaker appeared at the entrance and, as he had done at the conclusion of the previous week's RAW, slowly but steadily made his way ringside. Despicable HBK hopped back over the barrier and retreated up into the crowd. Undertaker watched. He checked on his brother and helped him to his feet, and then obtained a microphone. HBK had disappeared by this time. "This goes no further," Undertaker said. "Shawn, one thing is very clear to me. You're just itching to step back into the ring, aren't you, boy? The answer seems natural. The Undertaker and Kane against Triple H and Shawn Michaels at King of the Ring. The ball's in your court, Michaels. But in considering your answer, you might want to keep in mind that my brother and I? We won't take 'no' for an answer." The challenge had been laid down! Would Shawn Michaels return to the ring after over three years of inactivity? Would it go down in a monumental tag team match at KOTR?!

Prior to his KOTR Qualifying Match, "The One" Billy Gunn was kind enough to pay a visit to the production truck, where he dropped off a special video package he'd had put together documenting his road to KOTR victory in 1999. Gunn planned to recreate the magic in 2001. He faced Eddie Guerrero in one of eight Qualifying Matches. The sixteen contenders for this year's crown were chosen at random. Guerrero appeared to be preoccupied heading into his match, still upset about Raven's having stirred up a hornet's nest among the Radicalz. When Gunn scored a 2.9 count following a piledriver, though, Guerrero got with the program and got himself back into the match; he almost pinned The One with a German Suplex and bridge. Guerrero's mental state was simply not conducive to a victory, though. He missed a slingshot senton splash, and when he pulled himself up to a vertical base, Gunn was waiting with the Fameasser and scored the pin to advance! Gunn's post-match celebratory mood was ruined when he realized the fans weren't quite as enthused over his victory as he appeared to be. Meanwhile, Guerrero was close to breaking down in tears; he simply couldn't fathom that he'd lost. Latino Heat got a mic from Lilian Garcia and pleaded with referee Jack Doan to restart the match. "All I'm asking for is a do-over, holmes," appealed Eddie. Doan was not feeling overly sympathetic, though, and made it clear that his decision would stand. As he walked to the back, Eddie flared his nostrils and looked into the camera. The suggestion was clearly that he blamed someone in particular for the circumstances leading to his loss...

While Faarooq prepared for his Qualifyer, tag team partner Bradshaw was busy giving CNBC personality Joe Kernan a tour of the backstage area. Market-savvy Bradshaw has appeared many times as a guest financial analyst on Kernan's Squawk Box television program. Faarooq locked up with Saturn, who had Dean Malenko in his corner for the important KOTR opening round match. Faarooq took out what seemed to be pent up frustration on Saturn early on with a series of stiff clotheslines and a spinebuster that shook the ring. When he set Saturn up for a powerbomb, Dean Malenko popped up on the apron and, sure enough, Faarooq abandoned the attempted bomb in order to chase Malenko off. Saturn sent Faarooq down with a side kick and went on the offensive. Faarooq battled back later by sending Saturn down with a shoulder block for two. Faarooq hit a big boot, and then set the Radical up for the Dominator! Faarooq was close enough to the apron, though, to allow Malenko to grab his foot and trip him. Faarooq dropped Saturn, who quickly caught Faarooq in the Moss Covered Three Handled Family Credenza. Saturn picked up the win, thanks in no small part to his fellow Radical. The outcome might have been different had Faarooq's own tag team partner not been so busy schmoozing with a television personality...

MADNESS

The results of Goldust's Commissioner-mandated psychiatric evaluation seemed dubious right from the start on RAW this week. Backstage, Goldust was adjusting his wig prior to his KOTR Qualifyer when William Regal and Terri approached him and introduced him to psychiatrist Dr. Cohen. Goldust proceeded to peel and consume a banana. Regal, Terri, and Dr. Cohen watched intently. Goldust then shrugged. "Sometimes a banana's just a banana, doc," he said. Cohen questioned Goldust about his childhood and more specifically about his mother. Goldust's responses were characteristically cryptic. After Goldust excused himself, Regal pointed out to Cohen that Goldust's mental faculties were obviously not in tact. Cohen was interested in what the Intercontinental Champion had to say. "Tell me why you think that is," the psychiatrist asked. Regal was more than happy to share his insights with the doctor.

Goldust's in-ring opposition was provided by Hardcore Holly. Molly was notably absent from her cousin's corner during the match, perhaps as a result of earlier events (see below). Holly was aggressive as usual. He dropkicked Goldust into the corner at one point and executed a hanging vertical suplex for the two count. Soon, though, Goldust reversed an Irish Whip and sent Holly into the corner. After nailing ten mounted punches with the crowd counting along, Goldust drilled Holly with a Bulldog. The Curtain Call followed, and Goldust advanced! Regal then immediately appeared with Terri and Dr. Cohen. Regal congratulated Goldust on his victory in a perfunctory manner and then revealed that Dr. Cohen had concluded his evaluation. Goldust asked Cohen what he thought. The doctor labeled Goldust an eccentric individual -- colorful. But he said Goldust had clearly found positive ways to balance his id, ego, and superego. Regal and Terri could hardly believe what they were hearing. Things went from bad to worse when Cohen turned to Regal and told the commissioner he wasn't quite so confident about Regal's emotional well-being. Regal's preoccupation with Goldust's mental state was likely a defense mechanism on Regal's part. Cohen suspected that Regal was battling some serious demons and would face serious consequences without professional help! Cohen took Regal by the arm and told him he wanted to discuss possible treatment options backstage. Regal and Terri protested in disbelief while Goldust looked on with satisfaction from the ring. To say that the Intercontinental Champion and Commissioner's plan had backfired would be an understatement!

RECING HAVOC

RAW got underway with the explosion of the Dudley Boyz's music, and Bubba Ray and D-Von came to the ring. The brothers from other mothers relieved their victory over the RTC of the week before, and Bubba Ray noted that the question was what was next for the greatest tag team in the World Wrestling Federation today. It occurred to him and to D-Von that they had unfinished business with Edge and Christian -- with the World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Champions. "As far as we're concerned, those are our belts, and we want them back," Bubba said. D-Von gave a "testify!" for tradition's sake. Edge and Christian appeared on the Titantron and expressed their surprise at seeing Bubba Ray and D-Von. "We thought you two preferred Sunday Night Heat these days," Edge cracked. But Christian said it was good to see the ol' "chumpstainzzz" again. He was surprised, though, that they wanted yet another match with E&C. "Haven't we kinda established our undisputed awesomeness by now? I mean, our record against you does sorta speak for itself. How many times have we beaten you now? 37,494 and a half, isn't it?" Edge and Christian agreed, though, that if Those Sucktackular Dudleyz truly wanted another shot, they had the perfect solution: the Dudleyz could face the self-proclaimed Kings of the World on RAW in order to determine who would get the next brush with greatness -- the next shot at E&C. Bubba and D-Von did not hesitate to accept the challenge.

When Jericho and Benoit came to the ring during the WarZone for the match, Jericho officially kicked off RAW is JERICHO. Jericho said he and Benoit liked the Dudleyz as much as the next guys, but there was really no contest. The Rabid Wolverine nodded. "The Crippler Crossface owns the 3D," he said. Jericho reminded Benoit of the efficacy of the Walls of Jericho, too. While the banter continued, the Dudleyz' entrance began and then things got underway. Two of the top tag teams currently active in the sport put on a superior display here. Jericho and D-Von started. After taking a flying clothesline, Jericho tagged in Benoit. When Benoit caught D-Von in the Crossface, Bubba broke up the submission. Bubba was tagged in and punished Benoit for a few minutes until being caught in a backslide for a nearfall. When Jericho was tagged in, he bulldogged Bubba and then hit the Lionsault. Soon, Bubba caught Jericho in a powerslam. The tag was made to D-Von, who hit the Whazzup Headbutt. The pinfall was prevented by Benoit. D-Von went back to work on Jericho, who hit an Enziguri and then the Triple Powerbomb. Jericho made the tag to Benoit, who knocked Bubba off the apron and then caught D-Von in the three Germans. Swandive heatbutt! As he went for the cover, Edge, Christian, and their constant companion Rhyno stormed the ring and began attacking all four competitors indiscriminately. The match was thrown out. As the pier six persisted, JR couldn't help but wonder if the result hadn't been E&C's master plan all along!

SPARE THE PADDLE AND SPOIL THE DIVA

Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley remained in her neckbrace and wheelchair-bound this week on RAW despite the fact that her apparently-infirm condition had actually been exposed as fraudulent the week before. Stephanie was literally being spoon-fed by an attendant in her private dressing room when Ivory paid her friend a visit to express some concerns. Ivory had allegedly been "personally offended" by the sight of Chyna and Trish Stratus rolling around in the mud on the previous week's broadcast, and Stephanie ended up concurring: the mud match had been a horrifying spectacle. The women conveniently omitted to mention that the entire affair had been Mr. McMahon's brainchild. Stephanie shared that she had long suspected Trish of exhibitionism, ever since the hussy had slithered her way into her father's bed not long ago. Stephanie concluded that what Trish needed was discipline, and she felt Ivory was the perfect person to provide it. Tonight on RAW, Steph declared, it would be the first ever Paddle on the Pole match. A paddle perfect for spanking would be suspended on a pole. Whichever competitor secured the paddle first and delivered a spanking to her opponent would be declared the winner. It would be Trish vs. Ivory, and Stephanie was sure that Ivory would prevail.

For the second week in a row, Trish played the unenviable card she'd been dealt and met Ivory in the ring for the match. A nasty Ivory used eye rakes, boot chokes, and hair pulls to weaken Trish. After flinging Trish halfway across the ring by her hair, Ivory climbed the turnbuckle in the hope of reaching the all-important paddle. Trish followed Ivory, however, and caught up to her on the top rope. Stratus delivered an impressive belly to back suplex from the top rope! Trish instinctively went for the cover and referee Jim Cordaris reminded her that pinfalls were irrelevant in this particular match. Valuable time had been wasted; when Trish finally turned and was on her way to the corner to climb in pursuit of the battle, Ivory had gotten up and dropkicked Trish from behind. She DDTed Trish. Ivory again went for the paddle. Trish got up in time to turn Ivory around and set her up for a successful Stratusfaction. With Ivory out cold, Trish climbed to the top rope and grabbed the paddle! Ivory got up and lunged at Trish back at mid-ring, but Trish used a drop toehold to send her opponent back down to the mat. After asking for and receiving the crowd's enthusiastic approval, Trish pulled down Ivory's RTC-regulation slacks and hauled off and spanked her with the paddle three times. Cordaris called for the bell, and Trish was declared the winner! As the triumphant Trish made her way back down the aisle, the sour Stephanie appeared on the ramp in her wheelchair and then went into kamikaze mode, driving herself and, more importantly, her wheelchair right into Trish, knocking her down! Stephanie signaled for Ivory to get the battle. Ivory did just that, bringing it outside and preparing to return the favor Trish had done for her. Thankfully, though, Women's Champion Chyna appeared and caused the bitch on wheels and her comrade to scatter. Chyna and Cordaris tended to Trish.

Backstage after the break, Stephanie pouted to her father than Chyna's dangerous obsession with her had now gone too far; she feared for her safety -- her very life. She needed protection. Vince agreed, and stated that by this time next week, the problem will have been addressed!

TWO COUSINS' CONCERNS

Last week, Molly Holly had caught the eye of Haku when she showed off her assets, having won a scheduled Bikini Contest against Debra via forfeit. Just prior to his KOTR Qualifyer this week, Haku approached Molly in the back and, in a barely intelligible manner, asked Molly for a good luck kiss beforehand. The radar of overprotective Molly's cousins Hardcore and Crash must have gone off, as they quickly appeared and made it clear for the second week in a row that they were not amused by Haku's interest in Molly.

Veteran Haku, a former King of the Ring and tag team partner of Andre the Giant, had Rhyno to contend with in opening round action this year. This was the Man Beast's first KOTR tournament, and he was evidently motivated when he stepped into the ring with Haku. The two brawlers engaged in what JR described as "a good, old-fashioned slobberknocker." They exchange stiff punches and kicks. Rhyno scored a two-count after a sidewalk slam on the Tongan monster. Haku wasn't down for the count yet, as he staggered Rhyno with a big boot to the face. Rhyno was backed into the corner, where Haku hit a series of his well-renowned chops. His more "unorthodox" side emerged as he went on to bite Rhyno's forehead. When Rhyno stumbled out of the corner, Haku caught him with the Tongan Death Grip. Rhyno fell to his knees, but before buckling completely he rallied. Powering back up to a vertical base, he whipped Haku into the ropes and slammed him. Rhyno then crouched in the corner; the crowd was on its feet when Rhyno connected with the Gore and scored the convincing pinfall. Rhyno headed to the back, having advanced in the first round of the tournament. The male Holly cousins took advantage of the opportunity created by Rhyno; they hit the ring and stomped a mudhole in Haku just in case he hadn't received the message regarding Molly backstage.

A PERFECT PEPTALK

World Wrestling Federation alum Mr. Perfect was backstage at RAW this week; the show was, after all, being held in his hometown. As he took a nostalgic stroll backstage, he couldn't happen but take note of an aimless Test's gloom. Test explained to the former Intercontinental Champion that he'd had a string of bad luck since losing the European Championship, and hadn't even been booked for the show this week. Without hesitation, Perfect offered Test some sage advice: he had to be aggressive, and he had to do whatever it took, period. Test shrugged as if to say, "easier said than done." Caught up in the big time atmosphere of the World Wrestling Federation, Perfect said he might be able to help. He said he was enjoying his retirement, which consisted chiefly of gold and Coronas with lime. But he could put off his next trip to Cabo San Lucas one extra week to help a rookie out. He said he thought he still had a connection or two in the back, and would see what he could do about getting Test a KOTR Qualifying Match on next week's RAW. Perking up, Test responded with enthusiasm. Gum-chewing Perfect claimed it would be a pleasure to help.

Announced King of the Ring Card for 06/24/01

World Wrestling Federation Championship/Falls Count Anywhere: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin © vs. The Rock

• King of the Ring Tournament Semi-Finals and Final

Match Results

(1) King of the Ring Qualifier: Rhyno d. Haku

(2) King of the Ring Qualifier: Saturn (w/Dean Malenko) d. Faarooq

(3) King of the Ring Qualifier: Billy Gunn d. Eddie Guerrero

(4) Paddle on a Pole Match: Trish Stratus d. Ivory

(5) Kings of the World nc. The Dudley Boyz

(6) Hardcore Title Match: Raven d. Kane © to capture the title

(7) King of the Ring Qualifier: Goldust d. Hardcore Holly (w/Molly Holly)

(8) The Rock d. The Goodfather

Edited by tqwcw

I've missed a couple of shows recently, i've been busy with exams, and still am. So I'm just gonna talk about this last RAW. A good show, KOTR was always a favourite and I thought the 2000 one was a let down, so seeing the way your building 2001, its looking good. Nice to see a WM re-match at the next 'big 5' show after mania. HBK/HHH vs Brothers of Destruction should be good and a nice way to bring HBK back ino the ring. Interested to see who else will qualify KOTR as I belive the only person who could wi natm is Rhyno, and I think Eddie should have gotten past the first stage. Good job putting HC Title back o nraven, hopefully he can make the division matter and have some importance. Test and Mr Pefect? Interesting? I'll be keeping an eye on that. Hopefully Benoit/Jericho, E&C and Dudleyz will lead to a 3 way Ladder or TLC title match at KOTR. Keep it up.

I don't know where you plan on going with the King of the Ring tournament... but I will say now, that I would love for it to come down to Rhyno and someone else... with, of course, Rhyno coming out on top. WWE never gave him the push he deserved. Keep up the good work.

Okay, finally have a stable connection for at least tonight, and I've finally had a chance to read the last show. So far it's looking like Rhyno for King Of The Ring, but it really depends on the next round of entrants. King Of The Ring seems to be moot after such winners as Billy Gunn (who I like, by the way), and Mabel (Anyone remember this year?). I'm still upset that I didn't get to see last weeks Raw with Molly in a bikini contest....she was one of the hottest girls WWE had until she left...second only to Victoria...mmm..anyway....You went a different route with the Goldust thing, which I actually had thought of too...it works good. I'd like to see more of this angle, maybe with Regal actually taking councilling..that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

IPB Image

Hosted by Joey Styles, Mike Tenay, and Jerry Lawler

Nashville, TN

Thursday May 24, 2001

Free for All

With WCW's return to pay-per-view via the Clash of the Champions looming just around the corner, all hell had broken loose between a number of top WCW Stars the previous week on Nitro. As a result, the new Head of the Executive Committee Dusty Rhodes had resolved to address the various tensions this week -- six days prior to the Clash -- with Nitro's first ever 10-Man Uproar: a 5-on-5 tag team match in which there had to be a winner. Joey Styles reported that it would be the World and United States Champion Booker T teaming up once more with Clash challenger Goldberg, as well as Tag Team Champions NC-17 and Mike Awesome against the force of Ric Flair, Chris Kanyon, Shawn "The Star" Stasiak, and The Impact Players! The friction between the men was well-documented, and guaranteed a dramatic main event encounter on Nitro.

Having heard the news, Ric Flair was instantly displeased backstage, venting to Shawn Stasiak and Chris Kanyon that he was Ric Flair and would never, ever be prepared to take orders from arch-nemesis Dusty Rhodes, particularly not on a regular basis. Irate, the Nature Boy searched the entire arena for the American Dream, only to be informed by agent John Laurinaitis that Rhodes was not at Nitro this week. When Flair learned that Dusty would be in attendance at Sunday's pay-per-view, he vowed to confront Rhodes there and then, promising that Dusty wouldn't like what Flair had in store for him.

Scott Hudson had the opportunity to interview Kanyon about his upcoming shot at Booker T's US Title -- a championship Kanyon had had in his sights ever since the Season Premiere on April 4th. Kanyon told Booker T that it was simple: the United States Title is Kanyon's "Manifest Destiny," and that there was nothing Booker T could do to prevent Kanyon from realizing it. "Nobody's better than Kanyon," he said. "Least of all you, Sucka!" Kanyon mockingly proclaimed.

Booker, though, had a lot on his mind. A video package aired documenting Goldberg's attainment of the #1 Contendership and the complications that have developed between challenger and champion in recent weeks. Without a doubt, the match between Goldberg and Booker Sunday night on PPV would be a fierce battle between two men with a mutual, if tentative, respect and also a shared goal: to be the top dog in World Championship Wrestling. Would Booker T continue to live the dream he'd built over the course of an entire career? Or would Goldberg experience a second, meteoric rise to success at the Clash? We would find out soon enough!

NC-17 had a chance for rebuttal this week. Seven days prior, "Manager of Champions" Dawn Marie had denounced the World Tag Team Champions as WCW management's golden boys -- "manufactured goods." Backstage, Hudson asked O'Haire and Palumbo how they felt about Dawn's criticisms and her vow that Lance Storm and Justin Credible would take NC-17's titles and return them to legitimacy. O'Haire said that if Dawn's aim was to tell some hard truths, NC-17 could play along, as well. Justin Credible, for example? His claim to fame is having once been a lackey of the Kliq. "How five years ago is that?" Palumbo asked, shaking his head. O'Haire then moved onto Lance Storm. "I keep on hearing about what a seasoned veteran he is. But it didn't take long for NC-17 to beat him for the tag team titles, now, did it?" Finally, he moved on to Dawn Marie, stating that she wasn't a "Manager of Champions" but rather a "scuz-bag" who would end up back in the Jersey strip joints from which she hails once NC-17 had gone through Storm & Credible...

The 10-man main event rolled around with anticipation for WCW's return to pay-per-view at a climax. Prior to the opening bell, Booker T and Goldberg engaged in a tense discussion over tag team protocol, clearly the result of Goldberg's controversial blind tag to Booker the week before. During the chaotic mass, Mike Awesome finally got his hands on turncoat former partner Lance Storm. From the outside, Dawn exchanged insults with both O'Haire and Palumbo, and she repeatedly instructed Storm and Justin Credible to go after NC-17 whether they were legally tagged in or not. Dawn further pushed the envelope by walking over to David Penzer and caressing NC-17's tag team title belts, hinting that they would soon be in her hands. Flair got in the face of both Goldberg and Booker during the match, and whenever he provoked those men to go after him with their aggressive offense, neither Kanyon nor Stasiak was far behind to bail Flair out. The finish: Kanyon and Awesome were the legal men. Awesome hit Kanyon with a big backdrop, and Awesome then pointed to Booker, asking the crowd if they wanted him to make the tag and allow Booker some revenge on Kanyon, who had been pestering him for weeks. Awesome indeed made the tag, and as Kanyon stood, Booker went after him relentlessly with the Harlem Sidekick and then the Scissors Kick. Booker delighted the crowd with the Spinaroonie, but then Storm and Credible illegally entered the ring to relieve the pressure on Kanyon. Storm and Credible's double-team was curtailed by Goldberg, who came in and clotheslined the Impact Players out of the ring from behind. A winded Kanyon then saw a golden opportunity as the equally fatigued Booker was position a few steps behind Goldberg, facing his back. Kanyon went up to Booker and shoved him into Goldberg. Goldberg turned around in confusion and, assuming that Booker T had taken a cheap shot, Goldberg planted him with a Yakuza Kick! Angry, Goldberg promptly hopped out of the ring. Awesome and NC-17 tried explaining to him what had happened, but in the meantime, Kanyon had taken the initiative of picking up the limp Booker and dropping him with the Flatliner. This allowed him to score the pin! Kanyon had done it! Flair and Stasiak happily congratulated the smug Kanyon. Awesome tended to the prone Booker. Things broke down again on the outside between the tag team champions and their pending challengers. And Goldberg stood at the top of the ramp taking it all in. It looked as though it would be a war between Goldberg and Booker T for the World Title at the Clash!

A Challenge of Olympic Proportions

WCW.com broke the news over the weekend that Kurt Angle would be at Nitro this week with a special challenge for his Clash opponent, Sting. The week before, Sting had ruffled Angle's feathers by showing the audacity to have prevented Angle from breaking Disqo's "freakin'" angle. Sting again took the bull by the horns this week by making his way to the ring and forcing the Olympic Hero's hand; he called him out to issue his special challenge. Kurt Angle stepped onto the ramp wearing his gold medal proudly. He wore an expression of disgust on his face and shook his head. He told Sting that when he made the jump to WCW, he knew what he had to do: the best way to prove where he would fall in the WCW pecking order would be to decimate the face of World Championship Wrestling: Sting. Angle said he would do just that on Sunday. He knew this to be the case because he saw right through Sting. Behind the facepaint, the trench coat, and the baseball bat, Sting has no wrestling ability to speak of. Sting is an illusion, Angle explained. "It's true; it's damn true." Angle said he had already demonstrated his shooting ability. "Just ask the kid -- Lash Leroux," he cracked. He didn't want to have to wait until Sunday to expose Sting, but the only problem was that Dusty Rhodes had made it clear last week that Sting and Angle weren't permitted to lock up until the Clash. Angle's solution was for Sting to contend with the next best thing. Angle brought out a young man he introduced as Cael Sanderson, an undefeated NCAA wrestling champion and Olympic sure-shot. Sting interjected that he was quite impressed by Sanderson's resume, but instructed Angle to put up or shut up: issue the special challenge or go home, already. Angle challenged Sting to try and outwrestle Sanderson, then and there on Nitro. "Hell; I challenge you to try and survive Cael Sanderson!" Angle exclaimed. Sting thought the proposal over for a moment and then replied: "As far as I'm concerned," Stinger said, "it's showtime!" Angle sent Cael to the ring.

Sting rocked Sanderson early with a series of right hands. He sent him to the mat with a clothesline and then isolated him in the corner with a series of chops. At ringside, Angle didn't like what he was seeing. Sanderson's amateur prowess did soon gain him an upper hand, as he caught Sting in a Full Nelson and took him down to the mat. Sanderson kept Sting grounded. Angle was quite pleased as he watched Sting struggle in vain to escape a painful armbar. With the crowd behind him, though, Sting began to rally and he fought his way back up to a vertical base, much to the shock and horror of Sanderson and Angle! Sting took Sanderson down with a headbutt and then sent him into the corner. Two Stinger Splashes! Angle scrambled to intervene, but Sting quickly dropped Sanderson with a Scorpion Death Drop and referee Charles Robinson counted the pin! Angle grabbed Sting's baseball bat at ringside and hopped onto the apron, prepared to rush at Sting. But when he saw that Sting was ready for the charge, he backed off. Sting smiled at Angle, who yelled that he would make him tap out. "You don't want none of this!" the raving lunatic screamed. Sting, meanwhile, seemed calm, cool, and collected headed into the Clash!

Uninvited Guest

All evening long, the announcers promised to air footage of Diamond Dallas Page's appearance the night before on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Page, of course, has been tight with the late-night host ever since teaming with him against Road Wild in 1998. On the program, Leno asked DDP about his scheduled Clash match with Mike Sanders, who Leno referred to as "that obnoxious little guy." Page told Leno he knew what it was like, trying to score a break in this business. He said he didn't have a problem with young guys looking for their shot, but he did take issue with the ones like Sanders, who cut corners and showed no interest in paying their dues. So he was going to the Clash of the Champions to teach Sanders a tough lesson. Suddenly, Mike Sanders himself pushed through Tonight Show security and walked onto the stage accosting Page. Revisionist historian Sanders asked if Page was afraid to face him without tub-of-lard Bam Bam Bigelow at his side. Leno stepped in and attempted to calm the Undeniable one down, but Sanders shoved Leno out of the way and proceeded to kick Page below the belt! Sanders then drove Page's head into the top of Leno's desk several times and then took Page out of commission with his signature "3.0" maneuver. A man possessed, Sanders was finally dragged off of the set by NBC security. Perhaps Mr. Sanders would be able to score the upset victory -- by whatever means necessary -- on Sunday night.

Freakzilla Freaks Out

Scott Steiner's paranoia over who Torrie Wilson would bring to face him at the Clash of the Champions led him to perpetrate an intense, unprovoked attack on Norman Smiley on the 5/17 edition of Nitro. One week later, Norman Smiley would have his shot in the ring against Big Poppa Pump, seconded as usual by Stacy. Of course, this made Smiley's position more unenviable than anything else. The Big Bad Booty Daddy tore through Smiley, manhandling him with belly-to-bellies, Steinerlines, and even the old Steiner Screwdriver. Smiley was unconscious by the time the crippling Steiner Recliner was locked on.

As Steiner and Stacy talked trash into the camera, threatening the Genetic Freak's mystery opponent, Torrie appeared on the NitroVision from the locker room. She just happened to be wearing a skin-tight workout getup, and told the Power Couple that she was looking forward to the Clash of the Champions. She acknowledged some of the speculation about the identity of the man she'd hand-picked to face Big Poppa Pump. Was it Kevin Nash? After all, he was the man who broke her into the business. What about Shane Douglas? They had a history, too. Or maybe she'd dig up a ghost from Scotty's past: his brother Rick, or perhaps Buff Daddy himself, Buff Bagwell. Torrie said she couldn't spoil the secret -- but guaranteed that she'd found someone just as dangerous as Big Poppa Pump to face him on pay per view! Steiner and Stacy didn't appear to like the sound of this at all.

When Worlds Collide

It'll be Old School vs. Extreme on Sunday night when Jeff Jarrett and Rob Van Dam finally face off. In preparation for that match, a special video feature on RVD aired on Nitro, featuring a series of awe-inspiring in-ring highlights of Mr. Thursday Night's work as well as comments from Van Dam on Jarrett. "RVD 4:20 says I'm gonna smoke your ass in three days," RVD said at the conclusion of the piece.

Jeff Jarrett then came to the ring for his match with Super Crazy. The week before, Super Crazy had teamed with former ECW colleague Van Dam against Jarrett stooges Juventud Guerrera and Psicosis. Before the start of the contest, Jarrett snatched a mic from David Penzer and, after disowning his hometown crowd, denounced the aforementioned RVD video as "trash" that should never have made it to air. Jarrett reminded RVD that he was a nobody in WCW. "I've got all the Stroke around here, Slapnutz. You couldn't beat Juventud and Psicosis last week, and you sure as hell don't stand a chance against me on Sunday night." Super Crazy shut Jarrett up by throwing a dropkick to start the match. The luchadore used his unlimited aerial arsenal effectively against heavyweight Jarrett, scoring nearfalls after both a crossbody block and a headscissors takedown. Jarrett turned the tide by countering a Super Crazy dive from the top rope with a jawbreaker using his knee; Styles theorized that the move may indeed have shattered Super's jawbone. Jarrett applied the Stroke and picked up the victory. But he wasn't finished yet. As Super Crazy favored his mandibula, Jarrett grabbed him and tied his arms up in the top and middle ring rope. He then grabbed his guitar and planned to shatter it in the usual fashion over Super Crazy's head. Fortunately, RVD hit the ring and took Jarrett down with a stepover heel kick. RVD tended to the injured Super Crazy while Jarrett, in retreat, pointed to his guitar, hinting that he intended for the weapon to come into play at the Clash.

Unfortunate Turn of Events or Deliberate Deception?

World Championship Wrestling brought Cruiserweight wrestling to the United States and continues to promote the style as no other promotion can. Nitro this week, for instance, was set to feature Jeff Hardy vs. "Solo" Shannon Moore in singles competition. Backstage prior to the match, a woozy Lita informed Jeff and Matt that she would be unable to appear at ringside this week due to a headache. The Hardyz urged her to relax and headed to the ring for Jeff's match. Shannon was accompanied by Jimmy Hart, who is managing all of Moore's professional pursuits. At ringside, Hart handed Joey Styles a press release announcing the upcoming debut of Shannon's new single. Things then got underway in the ring. The in-ring styles of Jeff and Shannon are quite similar, and as a result their match was especially compelling. When Hart started making noise up on the apron with his megaphone, Matt decided to prevent any trouble before it could unfold by pulling Hart off the apron and sending him down onto the concrete, posterior-first. Meanwhile, Moore scored a two-count following a jumping legdrop. Styles then reported a commotion in the back, and on the split-screen, Kai En Tai's TAKA and Funaki could be seen harassing Lita! "Once you go Jap, you never go back," Funaki offered, in broken English. Moments later, Rey Mysterio and Kidman came to ringside to inform Matt of what his girlfriend was being subjected to in the back. Matt was confused; when Jeff noticed the ringside conference taking place, he moved over to the far corner of the ring to be filled in. Being coached by Hart, Shannon exploited Jeff's weakness by sneaking up on him, turning him around, and hitting him with a Northern Lights Suplex and bridge. It was enough to give Moore the upset victory! Jeff was disconcerted by the loss, but was more concerned about Lita. He and Matt promptly headed backstage to check on her, with the Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions in tow. A cynical Jerry Lawler questioned Mysterio and Kidman's tactics. If they were so concerned about Lita, why didn't they simply intervene with Kai En Tai themselves? And how would Matt and Jeff feel about the whole thing once they'd had time to reflect? Answers would presumably be forthcoming at the Clash when the three teams would vie for the Cruiserweight straps!

FINAL Clash of the Champions Card [3 Days Away!]

World Heavyweight Title: Booker T © vs. Goldberg

• Sting vs. Kurt Angle

Torrie's Choice: Big Poppa Pump (w/Stacy Keibler) vs. ??? (w/Torrie Wilson)

WCW US Heavyweight Title: Booker T © vs. Kanyon

WCW World Tag Team Titles: NC-17 © vs. The Impact Playaz (w/Dawn Marie)

• "Undeniable" Mike Sanders vs. Diamond Dallas Page

• "The Chosen One" Jeff Jarrett vs. Rob Van Dam

WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles: Rey Mysterio & Billy Kidman © vs. The Hardy Boyz (w/Lita) vs. Kai En Tai

• And "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair confronts "The American Dream" and Executive Committee Head, Dusty Rhodes!

In addition, Styles announced that WCW would be debuting its new weekend Shockwave broadcast Sunday evening for free on the TVGuide channel with pre-game action prior to the Clash!

Match Results

(1) Jeff Jarrett d. Super Crazy

(2) Big Poppa Pump (w/Stacy) d. Norman Smiley

(3) Sting d. Cael Sanderson (w/Kurt Angle)

(4) "Solo" Shannon Moore (w/Jimmy Hart) d. Jeff Hardy (w/Matt Hardy)

(5) Ric Flair & Chris Kanyon & Shawn Stasiak & Impact Playaz (w/Dawn Marie) d. Booker T & Goldberg & Mike Awesome & NC-17

Edited by tqwcw

You know, while this was supposed to be a "Hard Sell" before the ppv, it just didn't have that feeling. The ten man just seemed to have too much going on in it for it to be enjoyable. But it did it's job I guess. I dunno who Cael Sanderson is, so that didn't interest me as much as it probably should have. Same with Jarrett and Crazy. I'm still going with Test as the man to take on Steiner. And this show did serve one purpose..I'm actually interested in the Filthy Animals/Hardy's/Kaientai feud.

I on the other hand do know who Cael Sanderson is, I was skeptical at first thinking hey, Cael hasnt even won his first olympic gold in this time period yet why would he quit, but ur rumors fixed that dillemma. I enjoyed the angle, and it definitly could lead into Angle picking up an amateur wrestling stable in the future, as he does in real life.

I for one am really pysched for the WCW ppv. Although I agree I got less of that hard sell feeling at certain points.

The WCW card is well filled out, with a slew of wcw mainevers mixing it up with younger stars. How big is WCW's roster at this point. You really have about 5 or 6 guys who take up most of the card, so its hard to tell about the midcarders, unless the midcarders are champions then, they to get tv time. Your doing a good job balancing the WCW roster. I keep reminding myself this is WCW's first ppv, and the best is yet to come, its really seems like a starting point ppv, a place to build from. Although personally I would have an inaugrial ppv be more of a supercard.

Either way I enjoy your diary and check it daily, even if I dnt always respond. Its well thought out and I look forward to future shows. BTW, a lot of these WCW ppv matches could go either way, so it will be intersting to see how you play it off.

I don't know if you're having a prediction contest or anything.. but I'm bored, and you posted the Final card for the ppv, so im leaving predictions! haha.

• World Heavyweight Title: Booker T © vs. Goldberg

Goldberg will reclaim the top spot on the show because Booker will be exhausted from his earlier match.

Sting vs. Kurt Angle

I wanted to say Kurt... but I see Sting getting the first win here, making Kurt more frustrated and determined to beat the Stinger. That, of course, will lead to Kurt picking up a big win later on.

• Torrie's Choice: Big Poppa Pump (w/Stacy Keibler) vs. ??? (w/Torrie Wilson)

Just cuz. It's a mystery opponent. So, he has the element of surprise. He has a chance to scout Steiner while Steiner has no idea who he's facing.

• WCW US Heavyweight Title: Booker T © vs. Kanyon

Booker will retain, but be exhausted. Perhaps even be attacked to weaken him for his match later with Goldberg.

• WCW World Tag Team Titles: NC-17 © vs. The Impact Playaz (w/Dawn Marie)

Just cuz I'd love to see them hold the tag straps in WCW.

"Undeniable" Mike Sanders vs. Diamond Dallas Page

In this time period, it seemed like WCW was trying to breed Sanders to be their next big star. I see him getting a win one way or another over DDP and continuing a push.

Please...? I'm asking nicely.

• WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles: Rey Mysterio & Billy Kidman © vs. The Hardy Boyz (w/Lita) vs. Kai En Tai

They've got the extra assistance on the outside, and the most starpower out of the teams.

PPV predix are definitely welcome, and I'll be doing a prize for the winner (or you, JC, if no one else participates, LOL). Clash'll be up tomorrow AM.

Enforcer, I will admit that the 10-man was rather a cheap way to go about the hard-sell for the Clash.

I'm glad someone had heard of Sanderson, alancer! I didn't know of him until I researched him for this!

Although personally I would have an inaugrial ppv be more of a supercard.

I had trouble with this one, but it'd make Booker a much more credible champion if he wins.

• Sting vs. Kurt Angle

Regardless of anything else I think Kurt should win here, being the younger star and everything.

The surprise opponent will have to win I reckon.. as for who it is.. I'm totally stumped.

Maybe Goldberg comes to the ring to scout his opponent, Booker gets distracted? Anyway Kanyon should make a good champion.

As much as I would love to see the Impact Players get the belts I think NC-17 should keep them for a while.. although I wouldn't mind if IP were the eventual new champs.

I'm not all that much of a Sanders fan, and I'm a huge DDP fan.. so maybe I'm bias.. but DDP IMO should be up there in the main event scene!

"The Chosen One" Jeff Jarrett vs. Rob Van Dam

I think Jarret will have something up his sleeve this time allowing for RVD to win an eventual re-match.

• WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles: Rey Mysterio & Billy Kidman © vs. The Hardy Boyz (w/Lita) vs. Kai En Tai

Because a title change is fun in these kind of matches.. so Kidman/Mysterio are out.. and I think the Hardyz should be wrestling more in singles competition to be true to the time.

• And "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair confronts "The American Dream" and Executive Committee Head, Dusty Rhodes

Not a match... but I'll go ahead and say that Flair kicks Rhodes Ass!

All in all I can't wait to read this Pay Per View.

You know i looked at Jairus' predictions, and thought, hell these could be mine. So in an effort to stray away from waht I consider the obvious, I predict thru some sort of very controversal ending ... Booker T retaining, more reasoning will be seen below in the US title match.

Sting vs. Kurt Angle

Giving it to Sting here, ANgles had the advantage for most of the feud, although I am hoping like Jairus that Angle gets the win later in the feud.

Come on, you cant lose on your debut ... even if your a returning star

Something tricky will happen here, Flair ... maybe Stasik will come and interfere, but there really is no reason for Booker T to be US champion, Kanyon needs the push.

You know this was a hard one. On one hand the Impact Playaz shouldnt be rushed into their title reign, al la all new WWE tag teams. But on the otherhand, they are an old team, and it just seems this is how its going to go.

Definitely another tough pick, Im going with DDP, although it is very likely perhaps more so, that Sanders wins.

RVD is a huge star, and has been treated that way in his debut, taking offers from both WWF and WCW. He needs this win, RVD is going on to big things in WCW.

Hardyz win, Hardyz vs. Rey and Kidman has been the main feud here, and i think it will keep going. Hardyz will also probably pin Kai En Tai, to further the trying to be friendly but accidents are causing them to be enemies thing going on between Misterio/Kidman and Hardyboz.

I am more pysched for this then I was for the WWF pay per view.

WCW Clash of the Champions

May 27, 2001

Memphis, TN

Hosted by Joey Styles, Jerry Lawler, & Mike Tenay

IPB Image

1 -- On shockwave, The Bull d. Disqo via pinfall with a Swinging DDT. Disqo is not his usual, enthusiastic self as he makes his entrance. Joey Styles notes that Disqo has suffered decisive losses to both Big Poppa Pump and Kurt Angle in recent weeks. There is no dancing when Disqo hits the ring. Proud Italian-American The Bull does not seem to be as depressed as his opponent. The Bull is aggressive in the early going, weakening Disqo with a DDT and a brainbuster. Disqo makes somewhat of a comeback, foiling Bull's backdrop setup with a swinging neckbreaker and scoring a nearfall. A minute or two later, Disqo hits the elbowsmash from the second rope and gets another two count. Disqo soon looks for the Chartbuster, but Bull shoves Disqo into the turnbuckle. Bull then lifts Disqo up with a gorilla press and slams him down onto the mat. Disqo's shoulders are down, and the pinfall is counted! In the wake of the victory, Bull points to the Italian flag on the back of his trunks. Disqo, in the meantime, pulls himself up and, appearing disgusted, yanks off his own bling, tosses it aside, and walks to the back shaking his head.

IPB Image

2 -- Rob Van Dam def. Jeff Jarrett with the 5-Star Frogsplash at 12:39. The show begins with a battle between the quintessential extremist and the old school veteran. Jarrett brings his guitar to ringside, but during the pre-match staredown, RVD grabs the guitar and smashes it over the nearest turnbuckle, equalizing things before the match even begins! Furious, Jarrett attacks with a kick and clubbing shots to the back, beginning the bout. As referee Charles Robinson tries kicking the guitar debris out of the ring, Jarrett dropkicks Van Dam right into the corner. Jarrett goes for the Stroke very early on, but RVD puts Jarrett in a small package for a two count. This only further angers Jarrett, who tosses RVD over the top rope. On the outside, RVD reverses a whip and sends Jarrett flying over the guardrail into the crowd. Van Dam sends Jarrett back over the the rail with a a windmill kick. RVD stands on the guardrail and hits Jarrett on the cement with a nasty looking guillotine legdrop. Despite Robinson's warnings, RVD gets a chair and unfolds it in front of Jarrett's face. He goes for a baseball slide right on the outside, looking to dropkick the unfolded chair into Jarrett's face, but Jarrett rolls out of the way and RVD's effort proves to be for naught. Jarrett sends RVD back into the ring. Jarrett with a Spinebuster on RVD; he then tries locking RVD in the figure four. RVD hits a series of rapid kicks to the side of Jarrett's head, though, and Jarrett stumbles onto the ropes, allowing Van Dam to get back on his feet. Jarrett charges at RVD, who catches the Chosen One in a fireman's carry; a slam follows. RVD follows up with Rolling Thunder, and then positions Jarrett in the corner. Split-legged moonsault from the top rope! But only a two count. RVD plants Jarrett again at mid-ring with a falling powerslam. RVD goes for another guillotine from the middle rope but Jarrett moves. RVD catches a Jarrett boot but Jarrett is able to hit the Enziguri for a two count. Jarrett tries catching RVD in the Stroke again, but RVD throws a high-elevation dropkick, sending Jarrett stumbling into the corner. RVD charges in but eats a boot. Jarrett goes for a bulldog but RVD reverses into an atomic drop. RVD hits Jarrett with a face-buster and gets another two-count. RVD with a sunset flip and another near-fall, and Jarrett's now angry. He goes for a clothesline; RVD ducks and hits Jarrett with a DDT. RVD goes up top, setting up for the Five Star! Jarrett rolls to the outside. While RVD climbs down from the top, Jarrett fishes under the ring and pulls out a second guitar. Jarrett reenters the ring and charges at Van Dam with the weapon. RVD ducks the shot and dropkicks Jarrett. RVD plants Jarrett with a Split-Legged Powerbomb. Jarrett finds himself slumped in the corner. RVD picks up the guitar, still in-tact, and looks at it and then the crowd. Van Dam positions the guitar in front of Jarrett's face in the corner, and then makes his way to the top of the opposite corner. Joey Styles goes wild as RVD pulls off the Van Terminator using the guitar! Jarrett is out cold, and RVD hooks the leg; 1--2--3! Van Dam celebrates the victory with his usual pose. An unconscious Jarrett is taken to the back by medics. Has the old school been closed down for good?

(Overall rating = 80)

- Backstage, Ric Flair and Shawn Stasiak (who is now conforming to Flair's Armani-only dresscode) arrive and search every nook and cranny they pass for Executive Committee Head Dusty Rhodes.

3 -- WCW World and United States Heavyweight Champion Booker T def. Chris Kanyon to retain the US Heavyweight Title at 9:20. Kanyon debuts a new "Who's Betta?"-themed t-shirt. He offers Booker T a handshake prior to the opening bell, but Booker T isn't fooled and instead offers up his hands for a test of strength. Kanyon appears to accept the challenge, but tries cheapshotting Booker with a kick. Booker catches Kanyon's leg and shoves him to the mat. It's a promising start for the Playa. Kanyon charges at Booker, who throws a Harlem Sidekick and gets a two count. The announcers note that Booker will be looking to put Kanyon away early in order to reserve as much as possible for his World Title defense later on. Kanyon hits Booker with a couple of right hands. When he charges off the ropes, though, he is hit with a backdrop. Booker drops an elbow and gets another nearfall. Back on their feet, Kanyon is quick with a go-behind and backslide for his first near-fall. Kanyon accuses the ref of a slow count, opening himself up to a knife-edged chop from Booker so hard that it sends Kanyon down to the mat. Kanyon, though, hits a drop toe hold from his seated position. Kanyon mocks the Spineroonie, getting back on his feet with some ugly breakdancing. He taunts the crowd but is met by Booker T, who picks him up in order to drop him throat-first onto the top rope. Kanyon, however, flips over Booker and rolls him up for another two. Kanyon meaures Booker and nails him square in the jaw with a Superkick. He then lifts the limp Booker over his shoulders and drops him down with an awesome neckbreaker for another two. Kanyon avoids a clothesline and hits Booker with a bridging German Suplex; Booker kicks out at two. Kanyon isn't finished yet; Rocker Dropper and a tight pinning combination, again for two. Kanyon sends Booker into the corner and stomps a mudhole in him. He then takes a page out of Curt Hennig's handbook, somersalting over Booker while holding onto Booker's head, snapping his head back in a bad way. Kanyon waits for Booker to stand, then positions him for the Flatliner! Booker, though, comes out of nowhere with the BookEnd! Booker's neck is hurt, though, and he is unable to make a cover fast enough. He gets to his feet and moves toward Kanyon, who grabs Booker by the tights, sending his head into the middle turnbuckle. Kanyon rolls Booker up with a handful of tights, but Booker manages somehow to kick out! Kanyon signals for a Kanyon Cutter, but Booker lifts Kanyon up with a Belly to Back suplex. Spinaroonie! Kanyon then takes a Spinebuster. Booker, still favoring his neck, points to the top rope. He heads up and pulls off the always-impressive Harlem Hangover. He goes for the pin, and it's over. Booker retains! While he stands victorious, though, we take a look at instant replays from the match and are faced with the fact that Booker's neck absorbed a great deal of punishment during the match. After Booker begins making his way to the back, Kanyon regains consciousness and is in disbelief when referee Mickey Jay informs him of the match's outcome.

(Overall rating = 82)

- Pre-recorded comments from WCW Owner Shane McMahon are shown. Shane thanks the fans for tuning into the New WCW's first pay-per-view, promising that the best was yet to come. "If you're looking for Sports-Entertainment, there might be a better choice out there for you. If you're looking for the number one name in wrestling today, you've found it," he says.

4 -- WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions Kidman and Rey Mysterio def. Kai En Tai and The Hardy Boyz (w/Lita) in a Three Way Tag Team Match to retain the titles at 10:51. What started out as friendly competition between six of the top cruiserweights in the world has degenerated into a somewhat heated rivalry marked by multiple levels of tension. Indeed, things have heated up so much that by the time all six competitors have hit the ring here, a brawl breaks out and referee Billy Silverman faces an uphill struggle in restoring order. Funaki crossbody blocks Matt Hardy right over the top rope onto the outside. TAKA charges at Rey, who Frankensteiners TAKA out of the ring and crashes on the outside himself, as well. Kidman rushes Jeff, who backdrops Kidman out and then hurls himself over the top onto Kidman on the outside. Styles mentions the theory going around in the back that Kidman & Mysterio may have been less than innocent in the role they played in the unfolding of the Jeff-Shannon Moore-Kai En Tai-Lita saga on last week's Nitro. Some semblance of order falls into place as Rey and Matt become our legal men. Chaos continues to reign on the outside, though, as Funaki again makes eyes at Lita. Lita refuses to stand idly by and gives Funaki the Litacanrana right there on the outside! Matt sets Rey up for a Superplex in the ring but Rey shoves Matt off the top and hits him with a Thesz Press off the top turnbuckle. The pin is broken up by Jeff. Kidman is tagged in but receives a Japanese Armdrag by Matt. Matt makes a mistake quite common in WCW, however, and tries to Powerbomb Kidman. He receives the usual facejam for his trouble but is able to kick out before three. Matt tags in Jeff, who immediately flattens Kidman with a Springboard Dropkick. Kidman counters Jeff's subsequent moonsault with raised knees, though. Kidman tags in TAKA. Jeff catapults TAKA onto the top turnbuckle. Jeff attempts a belly to back but TAKA flips out of it and drives Jeff into the canvas with a Tiger Suplex. TAKA then locks Jeff up in a painful-looking surfboard, and a submission appears possible until Matt comes in to break up the hold. Jeff tags his brother back in. Matt catches TAKA and plants him with a slam after TAKA tries an Asai Moonsault. Matt gets the two count, and we're reminded that neither Kidman nor Mysterio has to be pinned in order for the titles to change hands. TAKA tags in Funaki, who immediately misses a Senton Splash on Matt. Matt tries a Crossbody from the top but eats canvas himself. It's then time for the obligatory six-man pileup as all of our competitors end up splattering themselves on the mat: Kidman connects with no one on an attempted legdrop; nobody's home when Jeff tries a sommersault legdrop; Rey's frogsplash ends badly; and TAKA's twisting body press is a complete failure. Once the bodies are cleared out, Matt tags in Rey, who is immediately caught in a nearfall by Funaki. Rey sends Funaki flying across the ring with a headscissors. Funaki tags in Jeff. Jeff charges at Rey, who leapfrogs and then hits a backkick and facejam for a two count. Rey charges at Jeff but receives a tilt-a-whirl slam. Jeff again goes up top and takes off with the Swanton Bomb, which is avoided by Rey. Matt reaches toward Jeff to make the tag, but Kidman walks over to Matt's corner and dropkicks the potentially-fresh Hardy to the matt. TAKA and Funaki join both men in brawling on the outside. Jeff kicks out after Rey makes a cover following a dropkick. Rey sends Jeff into the corner and sets him up on the top rope. Jeff fires away at Rey with right hands, but Rey knees Jeff in the head, weakening Jeff enough for Rey to come off the top with a Frankensteiner. Rey goes for the pin -- and uses the ropes for leverage! Rey scores the three coumt, and Silverman is oblivious to the fact that Rey used the ropes. Rey, having shown his and Kidman's true colors, immediately bails to the outside and joins Kidman in grabbing their title belts and quickly heading up the aisle. Matt and Lita tend to Jeff. "Who would ever have thought that Kidman and Mysterio would ultimately resort to such tactics?" Mike Tenay asks.

(Overall rating = 91)

- Big Poppa Pump and Stacy come to the ring. Big Poppa Pump first establishes, as usual, that he is your hookup. He then demands that Torrie Wilson bring her skinny little ass to the ring to show the world what she came up with: who she thinks might possibly stand a chance in the ring with the Genetic Freak. Torrie is all smiles as she makes her way onto the ramp. Torrie admits that her mind went in a million different directions when the Power Couple told her to bring Big Poppa Pump an opponent at the Clash. She could have sought a ghost from Scott's past, or a face from her own. There are plenty of WCW veterans and fresh faces in the back to whom she could have turned. But she witnessed firsthand the destruction Big Poppa Pump brought down upon the likes of Norman Smiley and Disqo in recent weeks and knew she had to find someone just as brutal, lethal, and dangerous as Big Poppa Pump. What she needed was a fighter -- an ultimate fighter. A red lighting scheme fills the arena, and appropriately intense entrance music brings "The World's Most Dangerous Man" Ken Shamrock into the arena! Big Poppa Pump can't believe his eyes, but also does not budge; he appears to be looking forward to the fight as much as is the voracious Shamrock. Styles quickly runs down Shamrock's credentials as Torrie accompanies him to the ring, with Big Poppa Pump yelling for Shamrock to "bring it on!"

5 -- Ken Shamrock (w/Torrie) d. Big Poppa Pump (w/Stacy) via pinfall at 5:49. Steiner pounds away on Shamrock as soon as Shamrock slides into the ring. Steiner sends Shamrock into the corner with stiff kicks and right hands. Steiner then hits an overhead belly to belly suplex; Big Poppa Pump isn't missing a beat. But when Steiner attempts a second such suplex, Shamrock blocks it and hits one of his own. He tries putting on his Anklelock, but Steiner has enough presence of mind to make his way to the ropes. Steiner moves toward Shamrock, looking to tie up with him, but Shamrock uses a legsweep to take Steiner back down. Shamrock drops a knee on Steiner and goes for a cover; Steiner, his temper flaring, quickly kicks out. The two men exchange nasty right hands. Steiner knees Shamrock in the gut. He picks Shamrock up and slams him down with a nice gorilla press. Steiner drapes Shamrock by the neck on the bottom rope, allowing Stacy to slap him. Torrie takes exception to this and chases Stacy around the ringside area. Torrie finally mounts Stacy and the two women roll around the ringside area in full catfight mode until officials come out to separate them. Steiner slams Shamrock in the ring and drops an elbow. Instead of going for the cover, he signals for the Steiner Recliner. When he moves to lock on the hold, Shamrock is on all fours and uses a basic wrestling takedown to score a nearfall on Steiner. Shamrock gives Steiner a taste of his own medicine with a belly to belly suplex. Steiner gets back on his feet, daring Shamrock to try something else. Shamrock suddenly breaks out the Hurricanrana; this stuns Big Poppa Pump so much that Shamrock picks up the three count! Torrie holds the victorious Shamrock's arm in the air as they back up the ramp. Styles notes that there are worse ways to make your debut in WCW than by scoring a pinfall victory on Big Poppa Pump. In the ring, Big Poppa Pump is inconsolable despite Stacy's best efforts. Steiner corners referee Charles Robinson and decks him with a right hand! He then locks him in the Steiner Recliner. Shamrock runs back to the ring to make the save, but Steiner bails out in time to avoid coming to harm. He and Stacy leave through the crowd while Shamrock tends to the broken Robinson.

(Overall rating = 80)

- A promo for the Great American Bash, returning on July 22nd, airs.

6 -- "Undeniable" Mike Sanders def. Diamond Dallas Page at 9:08. Sanders's entrance now features dimmed house lights and a spotlight trained on Sanders. He enters first, followed by Page. DDP stops at ringside and accepts a good luck kiss from wife Kimberly, who has a front row seat for the match. Styles acknowledges that the last time Kimberly was seen on WCW television, she and DDP were having marital problems. The talk of the locker room is that Page and Kimberly are on their way to reconciliation, as is clearly suggested by Kimberly's kiss. When Page enters the ring, bitter rival Sanders creates further tension with DDP by mocking him for his sentimental interaction with Kimberly. Page, insulted enough by Sanders's having crashed the Tonight Show earlier in the week, responds to Sanders with a right hand to the crowd's approval, and Kimberly's. The match is underway as Page hits several left and right shots to Sander's midsection. Hiptoss by Page and a two count. Page whips Sanders into the corner and sets up for a slam, but Sanders holds onto the ropes. When Page comes at Sanders, Sanders hits him with an eyepoke. Sanders drives Page face-first down onto both of Sander's knees. Sanders takes the time to pose before attempting a cover; DDP powers out. Sanders leaps off the middle rope with an attempted ax handle blow. Page catches him and executes his side belly to belly. Two count. Page picks Sanders up for the pancake but Sanders grabs Page's legs, takes him down, and locks on a Boston Crab. Sanders holds onto the ropes for extra leverage and Nick Patrick orders Sanders to break the hold. Sanders moves onto a Cobra Clutch, choking away at Page while Kimberly looks on with concern. Sanders drops Page with a hammerlock jawbreaker. Sanders demands his sunglasses from the ring girl, puts them on, and then climbs to the top turnbuckle. Not surprisingly, he has wasted too much time, and when he leaps off the top with a body block, Page catches him and gets Sanders up with an overhead slam! Sanders kicks out of a pin attempt. As Sanders stands, Page signals for the Diamond Cutter! Sanders elbows Page in the gut to foil the attempt, however. Page recovers by hitting the discus clothesline with such force that both men go tumbling over the top rope. Sanders is the first to seize an opening there, dropkicking DDP hard into the guardrail. Kimberly looks concerned. Sanders walks over to her seat on the front row and harrangues her. When DDP stops seeing stars, he realizes Sanders is hitting on and/or harassing his wife. Page, incensed, runs toward Sanders with a pearl harbor attack. Sanders ducks, however, and DDP ends up hitting Kimberly! Page is devastated as he tries to assess Kimberly's condition. But Sanders is less than sympathetic, as he grabs Page from behind. Sanders turns Page around and kicks him low. Sanders sends DDP back into the ring while David Penzer and other crew members check on Kimberly. DDP is in serious pain as Sanders brings him to his feet in the ring. Sanders pulls off the 3.0 backbreaker and goes for the pin -- and secures it! Shameless Sanders, well-aware of his good fortune, puts his sunglasses on and does a couple of victory laps around the ring. Patrick helps DDP to his feet, and DDP immediately heads outside to check on his wife. Page's concern is apparent by his facial expression. Meanwhile, Sanders's spotlight shines on him at the arena entrance.

(Overall rating = 82)

- A video package documenting the historic feud between Kurt Angle and Sting so far is shown.

7 -- Kurt Angle def. Sting via referee stoppage at 14:33. During ring entrances, the announcers drive home the point that Angle is dying to secure a symbolic win over The Franchise. Sting, meanwhile, finally gets his shot to teach Angle something about respect. Lash Leroux, crutches and all, is shown watching intently on a monitor in the back, pulling for the Stinger. The match begins with a collar and elbow tie-up. Angle with a snapmare and boots to Sting's back. Angle drops Sting with a Belly to Belly. Angle covers for a two, and then immediately goes for a second pinning combination for two. Angle whips Sting into the ropes; Sting blocks several rights and lefts and takes Angle down with a right of his own. A wobbly Angle then falls victim to a one-handed bulldog courtesy of Sting. Sting scores a two count. Angle uses a drop toehold on Sting and then locks Sting in a painful-looking choke with his legs. Sting's arm falls twice, but Sting rallies before a third arm drops. He makes it to the ropes and Angle is forced to break the hold. Angle takes the boots to Sting again. Angle sends Sting into the ropes again. Sting ducks a clothesline and takes Angle off his feet to a pop with a high-elevation forearm. Sting follows up with his trademark dropkick. Angle promptly rolls to the outside and curses. He contemplates sliding back into the ring but Sting is waiting for him. Angle paces some more, finally catching Sting by the boots and dragging him to the outside. Angle kicks Sting in the midsection and sends him headfirst into the ringsteps. Angle injures Sting with a snap suplex on the cement outside. Referee Mickey Jay insists that Angle take it back into the ring. Angle rolls Sting back to the inside. Angle brings Sting to his feet. Sting reverses an Irish whip and hiptosses Angle. Angle sells a lower back injury. Sting dropkicks Angle on said lower back sending him front-first into the turnbuckle. Angle reels from the pain and Sting catches him where he needs to for a possible Scorpion Death Drop! Angle escapes with a legsweep and looks for the Anklelock, but Sting comes up with a small package for a two count in an exciting sequence. Angle positions himself for a German Suplex but Sting pulls off the standing switch and takes Angle down with a belly to back of his own. Angle gets back up but Sting drives his head into the top turnbuckle ten times with the crowd counting along. Angle collapses face-first onto the canvas. Demonstrating that he is not without his own technical merit, Sting locks Angle in the Inverted STF, a move he learned from one-time foe Great Muta. Tenay freaks over the possibility that Sting may cause Angle to tap, but Angle is able to squirm his way out of the hold. Sting will not relent; he goes for another dropkick but falls short when Angle has the presence of mind to stand back and avoid the move. Angle with an Olympic Slam! Angle growls as he takes his singlet straps down. Angle sends Sting into the corner. After hitting Sting with a back elbow, Angle positions Sting on the top rope. Super Belly to Belly by Angle! Angle makes the cover. 1--2--no! Sting crawls toward the ropes, but Angle grabs Sting by the Anklelock. Angle applies the pressure, and it's on! Anklelock is locked in! Sting trembles through the pain and will not tap. Frustrated, Angle breaks the hold. He continues working over the ankle by dropping a couple of elbows on it. He then drapes Sting's foot atop the lower rope and drives his (Angle's) body down onto the ankle multiple times. Angle ties Sting up in the corner and chops him a few times. Working on adrenaline, Sting counters by shifting Angle into the corner and hitting chops of his own! Sting whips Angle into the opposite corner. Limping through the ankle injury, Sting hits a Stinger Splash! He whips Angle into the opposite corner -- another Stinger Splash! Sting calls to the crowd and then locks on the Scorpion Deathlock! Angle yells out in agony but almost freakishly pulls himself up and crawls to the ropes. Sting breaks the hold. Sting kicks Angle in the midsection and goes for a suplex. He gets Angle up a few feet, but Angle escapes Sting's clutches and throws a release German Suplex. Angle covers. Two count. He stands and waits for Sting -- attempted Olympic Slam, but Sting slips out and hits the Scorpion Death Drop! Amazingly, it yields a 2.9 count only -- Angle gets his foot on the rope at the last minute! Working off the energy of the crowd, Sting picks up Angle for a power slam. Angle slips out and catches Sting by the ankle. Anklelock is applied once more! Sting fights through the pain again, and after several seconds is able to struggle toward the corner. But Angle redoubles his efforts and drags Sting right back to the center of the ring, doubling up on the pressure to the ankle. Sting still will not tap, to the disbelief of Angle, referee Jay, and the announcers. "Tap, dammit!" Angle yells. Jay virtually pleads with Sting to call it quits, but Sting visibly and verbally refuses. Angle growls animalistically; he won't break the hold this time. Finally, recognizing that Sting is on the verge of significant injury and of losing consciousness, Mickey Jay calls for the bell. Sting rolls to the outside. Angle's arm is raised in the ring. Officials and Leroux come to ringside to tend to Sting in the meantime. Styles puts it over as a crucial victory for Kurt Angle, but notes that there is more to the story than that and that the book cannot yet be closed on this one.

(Overall rating = 92)

- "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes walks to the ring to an ovation. In the ring, the Head of the Executive Committee acknowledges the rumor that Ric Flair has some business to discuss with him. Dusty figures there's no time like the present, and calls Flair out. Flair enters with protege Shawn "The Star" Stasiak at his side. Flair and Rhodes go face-to-face in the ring, where Flair tells Dusty they have a problem. Dusty notes that they have had a problem for decades. Flair nods that history is exactly what this is all about. Flair says that Shane McMahon made a unilateral decision. He decided that Dusty Rhodes was the man who had the qualifications, the right, the respect necessary to be at the helm of WCW. But Flair says that Dusty Rhodes hasn't been qualified to head up this company for twenty years, because it was twenty years ago that Ric Flair defeated Dusty Rhodes for his first World Heavyweight Title. "I walked the aisle in Kansas City, I styled and profiled, and I kicked your ass, Dusty Rhodes. I became the man, and I have never, ever been unseated, pal." Dusty notes that history is all about interpretation. He says the two of them will never like each other -- they come from different worlds. The Nature Boy is all about limousines and jet planes. Dusty Rhodes is the son of a plumber who has lived and loved the American Dream. And now, he's Ric Flair's boss, and there's really nothing to be done about it. Flair points at Rhodes and says that the day he takes orders from Dusty Rhodes is the day Satan builds a snowman. Dusty thinks that's a matter of opinion, as if to put Flair on warning. Dusty turns his back and heads toward the ringsteps. Flair gives Stasiak the signal, and Stasiak attacks Dusty from behind! Dusty turns around and blocks Stasiak's right hands, taking Stasiak down with his unmistakable punches and finally a Dusty elbow right to the forehead. Flair throws off his jacket and confronts Dusty, only to be knocked down as well. Dusty dares Flair to get back up and try it again. Flair seems tempted, but Kanyon hits the ringside area and convinces Flair and Stasiak that backing off for the time-being is the wiser course of action. Flair, Kanyon, and Stasiak back up the aisle while Dream stands on the turnbuckle, gesturing that he'll tangle with Flair again anytime, anyplace!

8 -- WCW World Tag Team Champions NC-17 def. The Impact Players (w/Dawn Marie) to retain the titles at 11:40. Storm, Credible, and Dawn enter first and strike their signature pose. NC-17 then enter. Palumbo and Credible start things off. Palumbo outpowers Credible, no-selling a clothesline and knocking Justin down with one of his own. Palumbo sends Credible into the ropes and takes him down with a shoulderblock. Scoop slam at mid-ring and a cover by Palumbo for two. Palumbo charges Credible near the ropes, and Justin drops Palumbo to the outside. Credible keeps the referee distracted by making the tag to Storm, and so Dawn seizes her opportunity to hit Palumbo with a couple of kicks. When Palumbo returns to the ring, Storm catches him with an immediate spinning heel kick and goes for the cover; two. Palumbo blocks a suplex and hits one of his own. Palumbo heads to the corner to tag in O'Haire but Storm buts the kibosh on that with a dropkick. Storm sends Palumbo into a neutral corner with a superkick, and Dawn chokes away at Palumbo while Storm keeps Billy Silverman occupied. Palumbo crawls back toward the center of the ring but is caught by a Storm springboard dropkick. Two count. Storm remains on the offensive until Palumbo catches him with an inverted atomic drop. Credible breaks up the pin attempt. Silverman loses control here, as Credible holds Palumbo in position to take another superkick from Storm. Palumbo moves, though, and Storm inadvertently nails Credible! It looks as though Palumbo may finally be able to make the tag. He knocks down Storm with a right hand and makes his way over to O'Haire, but Dawn Marie, damn her, reaches in and trips Palumbo on his way! Storm grabs Palumbo and drops an elbow right onto Palumbo's crotch. But Silverman has noticed Dawn's interference this time, and having been pushed too far by the Players, he ejects her from the ringside area! The Manager of Champions and her charges react as though this is a complete and total outrage, but Silverman's ruling stands! Palumbo takes advantage of Storm's distraction, hitting him with a backbreaker and then dropping him on the top turnbuckle with a powerbomb. Palumbo gets a two count. Palumbo incapacitates Storm with a hangman's neckbreaker. He knocks Credible off the apron with a surprise back kick, and finally tags in O'Haire! O'Haire is the proverbial house afire. Storm eats a back bodydrop. Credible slides back into the ring but is soon tossed right over the top rope. O'Haire catches Storm's boot on an attempted superkick and O'Haire hits Storm with one of his roundhouse kicks. O'Haire gets a two count. O'Haire sends Storm into the corner and squashes him there with a knee. Hanging vertical suplex by O'Haire. O'Haire picks Storm up in a Fireman's carry, but Credible enters the ring to prevent whatever O'Haire had in mind; he takes O'Haire out at the knees. The Players whip O'Haire into the ropes and send him flying into the air with a double back body drop. Silverman angrily sends Credible out of the ring. He goes to his corner and Storm immediately tags him in. Credible grabs his Singapore Cane before entering the ring. He aims at O'Haire, but O'Haire ducks. O'Haire picks Credible up in a Fireman's Carry and slams him. The cane slides out of the ring. Two count on Credible. Credible slips out of an attempted double underhook powerbomb and trips O'Haire, sending him down onto the bottom rope neck first. Credible chokes O'Haire on said rope. O'Haire stumbles to his feet and Credible hits him with a lifting DDT. Very close, but only a two count. Credible tries dropping an elbow, but O'Haire moves and tags Palumbo back in. Palumbo gets Credible up in a torture rack. Storm enters the ring, but Palumbo nails him with the old Jungle Kick, sending Storm through the ropes and crashing to the outside. All the while, Palumbo has maintained Credible in the torture rack above his shoulders, demonstrating great strength. Once Storm has been dealt with, Palumbo drops Credible with a neckbreaker out of the torture rack position and scores the pinfall! NC-17 celebrate with their titles. Dawn reemerges and checks on Storm and Credible outside. She then gives Palumbo and O'Haire both the evil eye, trash-talking them and vowing that they won't get lucky twice...

(Overall rating = 79)

- Joey Styles introduces a video that is apparently an "exclusive sneak peak." Dramatic shots of a familiar silhouette in an equally similar pose are shown. According to the text shown on the video, "He's Back" on June 7th, which would be the Nitro set to air in just under two weeks...

9 -- Goldberg def. WCW World and United States Heavyweight Champion Booker T to capture the World Heavyweight Title at 11:19. The match begins with a staredown at mid-ring. The two competitors then lock up, with Booker forcing Goldberg into the corner before Goldberg powers up and sends Booker down to the mat on his back. Goldberg charges at Booker T, who sends Goldberg down with a hip toss. Booker goes for an early cover. Booker attempts a sidekick on Goldberg as he stands, but Goldberg sends Booker flying over the top rope. Goldberg goes to the outside and shows a bit of ruthlessness as he picks Booker up and drops him on the neck on the ringside barrier, demonstrating that he was scouting Booker's earlier match during which his neck was punished. When Booker stands, Goldberg hits him with a couple of Muay Thai-style palm thrusts. After reeling, Booker T fires back with rights hands of his own. Goldberg moves to Clothesline Booker, but Booker catches Goldberg with the BookEnd right there on the outside! Of course, Booker is unable to attempt a pinfall down on the floor and he sends Goldberg back into the ring. There, Booker sends Goldberg into the ropes, setting up for a Spinebuster, but Goldberg won't budge when Booker tries to execute the move. It doesn't help that Booker's neck is as strained as it is. Booker tries a clothesline; Goldberg ducks and picks Booker up, dropping him with a power slam. Booker kicks out of a pin attempt. Goldberg immediately picks Booker up again, holds him in a clinch, and hits several knee strikes right to the champion's head. Booker is left down in the corner. Goldberg gets into three point stance in the opposite corner and charges in for a Spear! Booker pops up with a leapfrog, though; Goldberg is able to put the breaks on before launching himself shoulder-first into the ringpost. Booker grabs Goldberg in a sidewalk slam; two count. Booker then backs Goldberg into the corner and hits him with a series of knife-edge chops. Goldberg catches Booker's arm on the fifth attempt and puts on a cross armlock, referred to by Joey Styles as a "Jujigatame." Mike Tenay observes that Goldberg is once again adding to his offensive arenal with MMA-style maneuvers and holds. Goldberg has Booker tied up in the armlock right at the center of the ring, but Booker resists the temptation to tap. He slowly powers back up to his feet. With his free arm, he grabs Goldberg in what might have turned out to be the BookEnd, but Goldberg takes Booker back off his feet with a legsweep. Goldberg gets Booker up in a Pumphandle Slam, but Booker slips out before Goldberg can slam him to the mat. Booker kicks Goldberg in the midsection, bounces off the ropes, and connects with the scissors kick. Spinaroonie. Booker drops an elbow; two count. Booker persists, planting Goldberg with a snap suplex. He gestures toward the top rope, and it looks as though the World/US Champ is ready to put Goldberg away! Booker sets himself up on the top rope for the missile dropkick, but Goldberg kips up, rushes the turnbuckle, and knocks Booker off his feet. Goldberg lifts Booker off the turnbuckle with a gorilla press, and slams him onto the canvas. Goldberg again sets up for the spear, but Booker is able to come up with a drop toe hold. Booker is in bad shape following the press slam, but works up the strength to drop Goldberg with a BookEnd! Booker, unfortunately, is slow to make the pin attempt, and Goldberg kicks out before three. Booker picks Goldberg up for an atomic drop, but Goldberg uses his power to counter booker, and hits the champion with a double underhook suplex, adding pressure to the already-injured neck. When Booker stands, Goldberg explodes out of nowhere with a Spear! The crowd are on their feet. Jackhammer! One, two, three! Booker rolls out of the ring, and Nick Patrick hands Goldberg the World Heavyweight Title! Goldberg stands tall on each of the four corners of the ring in celebration, and then gestures to Booker on the outside, inviting him back in the ring. Booker, curious and fatigued (still favoring that neck), slowly steps back into the ring. There, Goldberg extends his hand and after a moment, Booker reciprocates. The show concludes on that sportsmanlike note.

(Overall rating = 78)

Post-Clash of the Champions News and Notes

WCW.com's updated Nitro preview teases that both Goldberg and Booker T will be in the building. Ken Shamrock will also be giving an interview. The show is being held in Austin, TX, which is Dusty Rhodes country.

Ken Shamrock and Kimberly have been added to WCW.com's roster. DDP has been pushing for Kimberly to be brought in, likely because he feels his stock in WWFE will rise with his marketable wife as part of his on-air act. Shamrock, as previously reported, signed with the WWF weeks ago. His agreement does not require him to work a full, year-round schedule for WCW, and will have opportunities to work shoot fights outside the WWFE umbrella. It is unclear whether he will be managed by Torrie on-air in future.

The current plan is to build toward Goldberg vs. Kurt Angle as the main event at Starrcade in December. Goldberg will be depicted as more of an antihero than a categorical babyface, with the belief being he'll be a more dynamic character in the long-run as the former. The plan is for him to continue to build his MMA-style offense.

Mike Awesome was backstage at the show but not used. He was initially pencilled in for a run-in involving the tag team title match but those plans were shelved. He remains in favor with management, though.

For what it's worth, buzz backstage was that with the future of the XFL in the air, Jesse Ventura, who has been calling games for the WWFE-owned league, is telling friends he may be returning to the commentary booth for WCW. There is no indication for what this might mean for Jerry Lawler.

Officials are said to be thrilled with what Rob Van Dam is bringing to the table, which could lead to the signing of a few more marquee ECW names, especially if the buzz surrounding the Bischoff-Hogan startup continues strong.

Edited by tqwcw

*Gets Out His Belt* Just in case...lol

Poor Disqo on the end of a losing streak. Not much different then WCW really. Disqo never got the attention I feel he really deserved. Glen Gilberti is a hell of a talent and it seems like you've got something for him in the long run, but he's going to have to take an awful beating to get there.

Was looking for Van Dam to pull off the win here to keep the feud going. Could have worked with Jarrett getting a cheap win, but either way, this feud should continue and works quite well. I'm a fan of both men.

Damn, thought for sure you were going to pull a "Wrestlemania X" with this feud, and it would have been nice for Kanyon to pick up with win, but it looks like you're sticking Booker where he belongs, down in the midcard, so it's all good on my end, as long as he loses that damn title.

Tenay's last line of the tag title match made me laugh. Apparently he's forgetting months back when The Filthy Animals were heels. Hmmm. Good to see them keep the win as I'm a fan of Kidman. (Don't laugh) Hopefully you keep this feud going as Kaientai need something to do, and The Hardyz should move onto the real tag team division. Also more cruiserweights would make the CW Tag division so much better. Also, who's the CW Champ?

You teasing bastard. (lol) I thought for sure you were bringing in Test for this one, but I'm pleasantly surprised by Shamrock. I'm not a huge fan of Shamrock in the wrestling ring, but as an Ultimate Fighter I love his work. Him against Steiner would have been good but Steiner can't go much longer then 5 minutes so it's good you kept it short.

Sanders! SANDERS! Sanders! Good to see him pick up the win, but hopefully he gets the girl too because that just makes this feud even more fun. Sanders and Kimberly cause god knows she's useless other then fucking over DDP.

Angle had to get the win, but it couldn't be clean. You did a great job of building up the atmosphere in this match. Everything seemed to fit perfectly and Sting not tapping was very symbolic. This feud is far from over, and I could see it spilling into the main event.

For the love of God I hope you're not putting a 4 Horsemen stable together with Flair, Kanyon and Stasiak because UGH!! FUCKING UGH! If you don't refer to them as The Horsemen then I'll be happy. If you do, I'll be forced to kill you...with a blunt instrument. Consider yourself warned. (lol)

Another surprise, but a good surprise in the form of NC-17 retaining their titles. I was hoping you didn't go for the straight win with Impact Players and you did good. Another rivalry that is far from over, but make TIP earn their titles!!

Either way, I knew I was going to be disappointed in the main event. Not a fan of Goldberg, and I feel Booker doesn't belong anywhere near the Heavyweight Title. He's a midcarder for life in my eyes. Although I would have loved for Booker to take Goldbergs head off after the handshake.

Nice show, a few surprises, a nice write up....oh, and prediction contests suck....nah, not really, I just don't like participating in them anymore...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IPB Image

Monday, 05/28/01

Mobile, AL

Hosted by Jim Ross & Paul Heyman

Looking for an Answer

RAW kicked off with Brothers of Destruction The Undertaker and Kane scouring the backstage area for the Coalition's Shawn Michaels and Triple H. Last week, the Brothers had issued a challenge to the conniving HBK and Game: they wanted Michaels and HHH in the ring in a tag team match once and for all after Michaels faked a back re-injury and cost Kane the Hardcore Championship on RAW. Undertaker and Kane's targets, though, were nowhere in sight. Later, a gutsy Mr. McMahon accosted the brothers backstage and let them know that Shawn Michaels and Triple H weren't even at RAW, but were instead back at the hotel taking a well-deserved night off. Determined to pin down the duo for the King of the Ring tag match, Undertaker planned to go to the hotel to confront Michaels and Helmsley, while Kane remained at the arena for his match with Eddie Guerrero.

European Champion Latino Heat tried convincing Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn that Raven had manipulated them last week into believing that Eddie was exploiting Malenko and Saturn's friendship for personal gain. Both Malenko and Saturn remained skeptical of Guerrero. Eddie told Michael Cole he wanted a match with Raven, vowing to take Raven's pride, dignity, and championship belt from him in revenge for sending the Radicalz into disarray. Cole noted that Eddie would have to go through Kane first in order to earn the right to challenge the holder of the belt previously held by the Big Red Machine. Eddie was confident he could cut Kane down to size.

Hardcore Match

Eddie Guerrero vs. Kane

Eddie launched an aggressive attack early on, whacking Kane repeatedly with a chair and finally driving it into Kane's face after diving into the floor from the top turnbuckle. Kane turned the tide by reversing an Irish Whip, and Eddie was knocked senseless by a collision with the ring post. Kane punished Eddie on the outside. After a vertical suplex by Kane on the outside, Eddie got on his knees and begged Kane for mercy. Kane wouldn't fall for that trick, but when Kane went to pick Eddie up, Eddie went to the eyes and then took Kane off his feet with a dropkick to the knees. Kane was still able to block another chairshot, and he Chokeslammed Eddie on the outside! Kane tossed Eddie over the top rope into the ring. Kane sent Eddie into the ropes: Big Boot! Kane signalled that it was over, and set Eddie up for a Tombstone. It was then that Shawn Michaels and Triple H hit the ring from the crowd and surprised Kane from behind. They charged at Kane, who had the presence of mind to throw a double clothesline. With Eddie's help, though, the Coalition members soon got the best of the Big Red Machine, beating him down with the afformentioned chair. Undertaker had, of course, been sent on a wild goose chase and was not at the arena to make the save this week. With the Coalition members looking on, Eddie hit the lifeless Kane with a Frogsplash, and referee Earl Hebner had no choice but to count the three in the anything-goes match. HBK and The Game then stomped a mudhole in Kane, but made a point not to address the Brothers of Destruction's tag team challenge! JR denounced HBK as a coward, adding that Triple H was just as shameless. JR said he was just as eager as Undertaker and Kane to see HBK forced to face the music at King of the Ring. But with the Coalition on top of the World Wrestling Federation, could that ever come to pass?!

Later, Raven appeared from a darkened room in the bowels of the arena known as "The Sanctuary" to address Latino Heat. Raven explained to Guerrero that he had "sealed his own fate" by choosing to make an enemy of Raven. The Noxious Nonconformist noted that Eddie had not earned the right to challenge Raven for the Hardcore Championship, but Raven said he was a munificent soul and would grant Eddie a shot at the title out of generosity. At King of the Ring, it would be Raven vs. Eddi, Hardcore-style for the Hardcore Championship. The catch was that Eddie would have to face Raven in two matches on the pay-per-view: one in which Raven's Hardcore Championship would be on the line, and one in which Eddie's European Championship would be on the line! Raven told Eddie to think of him as a collector. He had already robbed Latino Heat of his closest allies; now, he would rob him of his championship gold. Quote the Raven, "Nevermore!"

Second Best

Right to Censor joined WWF Champion Stone Cold last week in delivering a heinous beatdown to The Rock. In the days following, The Rock issued a challenge to RTC director Steven Richards to face him one-on-one live this week on RAW -- in a verbal debate over their philosophical differences! Stone Cold paid a visit to RTC headquarters backstage to talk strategy with Steven Richards, Ivory, Val Venis, Buchanan, and The Goodfather. Richards assured Austin that he would do to Rock what Austin would also do to the Great One when they faced off in a Falls Count Anywhere, Championship match at King of the Ring: he would cream him. Richards asserted that Rock's corrupt, sordid vitriol did not belong on RAW, and that he would convince the world of just that later on in the evening.

The debate did not go as the RTC had planned. Richards, accompanied by his cohort, couldn't get a word in edgewise! The Rock established from the start that it didn't matter what Steven Richards thought! Rock proceeded verbally to trash each of the RTC members -- as only Rock could. He then moved onto Stone Cold, arguing that the hard truth behind Stone Cold's WrestleMania betrayal and alliance with Mr. McMahon is all based on the fact that Austin came to the realization that he will forever be second best to The Rock! Richards interjected that he refused to allow any further poison to escape Rock's lips. The RTC troops attacked: Buchanan was backdropped out of the ring; Goodfather was clotheslined to the outside; Val and Ivory were given double coconuts, and Richards got the Rock Bottom! Stone Cold, though, hit the ring next and charged at Rock with the WWF Championship! Rock ducked, and hit Austin with a Samoan Drop! Austin again charged at Rock, but this time was hit with a Spinebuster! Austin rolled to the outside and kicked the ringsteps and ringside barrier in frustration. Wife Debra and Mr. McMahon came to ringside to calm the champion, but Austin was inconsolable as Rock stood tall in the ring! Rock was headed to King of the Ring with one goal in mind: recapturing the WWF Title! What could Austin and McMahon do to try and stop him?!

Irreconcilable Differences

Bradshaw was set to face Federation Tag Team Champion Christian in first round King of the Ring action this week on RAW. Beforehand, backstage, the big Texan showed off to tag team partner Faarooq the snazzy, new gold and silver poker chips he had purchased for their games with part of the hefty cash advance he'd received as part of his new, big-time book deal. Faarooq was not moved by the purchase, noting that there was nothing wrong with their old poker chips. When Bradshaw commented that he assumed Faarooq would be at ringside later on to support him, Faarooq revealed that he would be busy being interviewed by WWF.com's Droz. Bradshaw appeared put off by the news. JR was quick to remind viewers that Bradshaw was busy rubbing elbows with a CNBC television personality last week when Dean Malenko helped Saturn defeat Faarooq in KOTR action...

King of the Ring Qualifying Match

Bradshaw vs. Christian (w/Rhyno)

Christian brought his and Edge's great equalizer, Rhyno, to the ring with him for the match. Bradshaw and Rhyno exchanged trash talk before the bell. The former went right to the attack on Christian, overpowering him with a scoop slam and an elbow drop for a two count. Christian attempted several less-than-sportsmanlike shortcuts as the match progressed; at one point, he rolled up Bradshaw with a handful of tights following a sunset flip. But Bradshaw wouldn't be put down so easily. He weakened Christian with a convincing sidewalk slam. He then set Christian up for that devastating big boot, but Christian ducked and Bradshaw's size twelve connected with referee Jim Cordaris! Cordaris went down. Bradshaw tended to Cordaris and Christian took advantage by pounding on Bradshaw from behind. Christian's attack had little effect, and Bradshaw turned around, kicked Christian in the gut, and delivered a Piledriver. This brought the Manbeast up onto the ring apron. When Bradshaw turned around, he lacked the necessary time to react and was taken off his feet by a vicious Gore! Bradshaw was down for the count. Rhyno promptly rolled Christian on top of Bradshaw and revived Cordaris, who counted the three. Christian advanced in the tournament! JR and Paul Heyman couldn't help but wonder if things might have ended a bit differently had Faarooq agreed to Bradshaw's request to appear in his corner for the match.

Christian and Edge, in the meantime, had other things to worry about. During the WarZone, Kings of the World Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit headed to the ring to address the tag team champions. The previous week, Jericho & Benoit had competed against the Dudley Boyz with a shot at Edge & Christian's tag team titles on the line, but E&C had seen to it that the match ended in a no contest! Y2J kicked off "RAW is Jericho" by demanding that Edge & Christian (or "Team Suck," as he called them) pony up and give the Kings of the World the tag title rematch they deserve. Jericho and Benoit got a response, but it wasn't from the tag champs. Rather, it was from the Dudley Boyz, who came to the ring. With D-Von nodding in agreement, Bubba Ray pointed out that he and his brother deserved a crack at the gold just as much as -- if not more than -- Jericho and Benoit did. Edge and Christian then appeared on the big screen thanks to the gods of the Titantron. E&C observed that the Kings of the World and Dudleys resembled jilted lovers battling it out on Jerry Springer. E&C reminded the world that they were the fightingest champions in the WWF and had no problem putting the titles on the line. The Dudleyz and Kings, however, would have to decide amongst themselves which of the two teams would receive said opportunity. Chris Benoit declared that he was silent but violent and that Jericho was violent as well, although perhaps less silent. They came thisclose to winning the tag team titles at Backlash, and wanted their rematch. Bubba countered with a quick summation of his and D-Von's impressive resume. Clearly, no agreement would be reached and Edge and Christian looked on with great satisfaction. Jericho asserted that the truth was that he and the Rabid Wolverine were simply on a higher level than the Dudleyz. Bubba retorted that "higher levels" were his and D-Von's speciality; he instructed D-Von to get the table! A brawl broke out between the two teams, and Edge and Christian, having accomplished their goal, looked on in laughter from backstage.

Earlier in the evening, Mr. Perfect shared the good news with new protege Test backstage: he had, indeed, been able to use his remaining political pull to secure Test a King of the Ring qualifying match. He would be facing Bubba Ray Dudley in tournament action live on RAW. The veteran predicted that Test's career was about to take a "turn for the Perfect."

Test (w/Mr. Perfect) vs. Bubba Ray Dudley

Mr. Perfect joined JR and Paul Heyman for commentary during the match. Perfect pointed out that success followed him wherever he went, whatever he did, and predicted that he was going to make a megastar out of Test. Bubba Ray, is of course, no slouch, and he and Test had somewhat of a slobberknocker here, exchanging right hands and stiff chops. Power man Test seemed extremely motivated, coming off of a disappointing losing streak. He whipped Bubba hard into the corner and squashed him there with a running splash and then a series of knees to the midsection. Test managed to lift the big man over his shoulders and nail him with the Snake Eyes on the top turnbuckle. Bubba kicked out of a pin attempt. Test tried a clothesline but Bubba ducked and came back with his series of punches and finally a Dusty elbow to the middle of the forehead. Test hit the canvas and rolled to the outside. Bubba gave chase, sending Test headfirst into the ringside barrier. Mr. Perfect yelled at Bubba from the announce table, blasting the Dudley for resorting to cheap tactics. Bubba warned Mr. Perfect not to get involved, but Mr. Perfect stood up and dared Bubba to lay a hand on him. The distraction prompted Test to grab Bubba's head from behind and hit a nasty reverse neckbreaker right there on the cement. Test rolled Bubba back into the ring. Test dived off the top rope with a clothesline and then hit Bubba with a Urinage Backbreaker to score the pin and advance in the tournament, much to his mentor's satisfaction. Perhaps Test's career has taken a turn for the Perfect!

Vendetta

Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley told her father last week that she "feared for her safety" at the hands of Women's Champion Chyna. This week, when the daughter of the Chairman came out on RAW to make an announcement about the following week's program, she was accompanied by a team of riot police. Stephanie remained bound by a neckbrace and confined to a wheelchair. She described what Chyna did to her last week as "vicious and unprovoked," while JR noted on commentary that all Chyna had done was save Trish from Stephanie and Ivory's underhanded attack. Stephanie announced that next week on RAW, Chyna would defend the Women's Championship against Molly Holly -- and that she, Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley, would serve as Special Guest Referee for the match. She added that if Chyna laid so much as a finger on her during, before, or after the match, the Ninth Wonder of the World would be stripped of her championship and suspended on the spot!

Meanwhile, backstage in the Coalition's nerve center, Mr. McMahon confided in Patterson and Briscoe that he wasn't content with the riot cop solution to Stephanie's protection problem; he needed greater assurance that his daughter would be kept safe. When Briscoe suggested that McMahon pay a visit to the offices of the APA, Patterson noted that the APA are having their own problems these days and would likely be of little help. As if on cue, there was a knock on the door, and veteran manager and former WWF official Teddy Long walked in. Long said he'd heard about Mr. McMahon's dilemma and might be of some help. McMahon didn't understand. Long handed Mr. McMahon his business card, which revealed that he was now the owner of "Theodore Long Personal Protection Services." Long told McMahon that if he placed him in charge of his daughter's safety, she would find herself in good hands -- very good hands. Long offered to set up a face-to-face meeting with just the "Personal Protector" he had in mind for the McMahon heir, and Mr. McMahon stated that Teddy certainly had his attention...

Michael Cole had the opportunity to interview Molly Holly backstage about her big opportunity the following week to become WWF Women's Champion for the the first time. Molly, flanked by cousins Hardcore and Lightheavyweight Champion Crash, stated that it would be an honor simply to be in the same ring as Chyna. Hardcore Holly then grabbed the microphone and gently shoved Molly aside. He reiterated his warning to Haku in regards to Molly: she was off-limits to the Tongan Superstar. Crash added that if Haku didn't heed the warning, he'd have him to contend with. An intimidating prospect, to be sure. Molly took the microphone back from her cousins and told them she knew they were trying to help, but that they didn't need to worry themselves; Haku's was simply an innocent crush. "Like hell it is!" Hardcore exclaimed. Molly sighed in frustration.

The Best Laid Plans...

Goldust joined Dr. Cohen backstage in catering this week as Dr. Cohen sought further insight into WWF Commissioner and Intercontinental Champion William Regal's unhealthy fixation on Goldust. Goldust admitted to the shrink that he had serious concerns about Regal's mental competence. Cohen sighed that Regal hadn't been receptive to his suggestions that he get some professional help. Goldust wondered if some sort of intervention wouldn't be necessary in order to help Regal. They'd have to corner him when he least expected it...

William Regal (w/Terri) vs. Scotty 2 Hotty

Scotty 2 Hotty is flying solo these days, following the unceremonious firing of tag team partner Grand Masta Sexay by Mr. McMahon. Scotty was looking for the big win here against head honcho William Regal himself. As Terri offered Regal encouragement from ringside, JR and Heyman wondered how the duo planned on countering Goldust's turning the tables on them the previous week. A sour Regal dominated Scotty in the early going, keeping him grounded and punishing him with knee strikes and uppercuts. Demonstrating the epitome of overconfidence and bitterness, Regal hit Scotty with a Double Underhook Suplex and seemingly had Scotty pinned, but let up on the pinning combination voluntarily before the three count. Moments later, Goldust appeared on the ramp with Dr. Cohen, and the two men headed toward the ring. While an angry Terri confronted her ex-husband about her presence, Cohen approached Regal in the corner of the ring and asked that Regal hear him out; all he wanted to do was talk. Regal was disgusted and embarrassed by the implication being made for the second week in a row that it was he, not Goldust, who was suffering from psychopathology. The match nevertheless continued, and when Regal turned back to Scotty, he found himself on the receiving end of a Japanese armdrag. Scotty then set up for and executed the Worm with the usual crowd participation, and he scored the pinfall! Scotty had beaten the Commish and IC Champion and advanced in the King of the Ring tournament! Regal and Terri were stunned and outraged as Lilian Garcia announced the result of the match. Goldust shrugged from the aisle, as if to suggest that this was simply a bad break. JR then observed that William Regal had only himself to blame for his current set of troubles.

Later, the announcers received word from the production truck that Commissioner Regal would have an "important announcement" about the King of the Ring next week on RAW. Just what did the irascible Englishman have up his sleeve now?

The Quest for the Crown

Val Venis vs. Steve Blackman

Val Venis was looking to bring the King of the Ring title into RTC hands this week on RAW, but Steve Blackman showed up for a fight, as well. Venis worked Blackman over with his usual suplexes and legsweeps, but Blackman turned the tide with a powerful thrust kick that sent Val down for the two-count. The reformed former porn star bailed out of the ring. When Blackman gave chase, Venis took him down with a cheap clothesline and then sent him flying into the ringsteps. Back in the ring, Venis planted Blackman with a slam and went up top for the Moratorium (the former Money Show). Alas, Blackman rolled out of the way in time to avoid the impact of the move. When Val picked himself up, he received another standing sidekick square on the jaw. Blackman followed up with the pin to advance in the tournament! Post-match, a stern Steven Richards came down to ringside. WWF cameras were able to eavesdrop on Richards pubicly berating follower Venis for his disappointing failure...

Near the conclusion of the show, Michael Cole appeared from backstage to run down the brackets for next week's Round 2 King of the Ring action. Cole was interrupted early on, however, by "The One" Billy Gunn who reiterated his claim to being the "once and future king." Gunn began listing the now-familiar list of accolades on his resume, and Cole stopped Gunn and reminded him that he'd shared those credentials with RAW viewers for the past few weeks; his accomplishments are well-documented. Gunn shrugged that they were honors that bore repeating. Gunn was also sure to dismiss his Round 2 opposition -- Scotty 2 Hotty -- as "C-lister" who was as good as eliminated from the tournament.

When Cole did finally get around to previewing next week's KOTR action, the anticipated match-ups looked like this:

- Rhyno vs. Steve Blackman

- Perry Saturn vs. Test (w/Mr. Perfect)

- Christian vs. Goldust

- Scotty 2 Hotty vs. "The One" Billy Gunn

Edited by tqwcw

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, glad to see your back. With the amt. of talent sent to WCW, the KOR seems lacking in its earlier rounds. But you can see that with Christian, Rhyno, Test, and Billy Gunn ... all my picks to make it to the semi's, that by the PPV the matches will be a lot more competitive.

Looking forward to NItro.

Take your tme getting them out, but keep it up.

WCW Nitro

Thursday, 5/31/01

Hosted by Joey Styles & Mike Tenay & Jerry Lawler

from Austin, TX

- Still pictures from last Sunday's Goldberg vs. Booker T match are shown.

- Backstage, WCW United States Champion Booker T arrives at the arena. Booker is approached by Scott Hudson, who asks Booker T what is next for him after having dropped the World Title to Goldberg the Sunday before. Booker makes it clear that he has nothing but respect for Goldberg after Sunday, but is also quick to point out that he has a rematch coming to him and intends to take advantage of it. This prompts an interjection by Ric Flair, who tells Booker to get in line; Flair says he wants Goldberg for the title and should get the next crack at the gold. Head of the Executive Committee Dusty Rhodes then makes his presence felt, and when he arrives on the scene, Flair immediately goes on guard. Dusty reminds Flair that he no longer calls the shots around here. He damn sure doesn't call the shots in Austin, Texas! Flair retorts that he thought he'd warned Rhodes sufficiently about making an enemy of the Nature Boy again. The American Dream makes it clear that he's not there to make enemies or open old wounds; he's there to run the company fairly. With that in mind, he books Flair and Booker T in a singles match for later on, with the winner earning the right to challenge Goldberg for the World Heavyweight Title anytime, anyplace!

- The normal Nitro opener airs, followed by pyro and the kick-off from Styles, Tenay, and Lawler.

- Match One: Juventud Guerrera vs. Jeff Hardy

As Hardy makes his entrance, the announcers put over the efforts of both the Hardy Boyz and Kai En Tai in last Sunday's three-way Cruiserweight Tag Team Title match -- a match during which Mysterio & Kidman showed their true colors. Jeff has another formidable challenge ahead of him tonight in Juvi. The historic encounter between two of the contemporary scene's hottest cruiserweights kicks Nitro off on a high note. Juventud drops Jeff from the top turnbuckle with a Frankensteiner. He then sets up for the 450 Splash, but Jeff gets his knees up to produce a devastating counter. Juventud rolls to the outside and falls victim to a Hardy suicide plancha. Minutes later, Hardy hits the Swanton Bomb and then the Twist of Fate to pick up the big win. Post-match, the cameras pick up Hardy sending a message to Kidman and Mysterio as he celebrates his win: "We're not through just yet," Hardy nods.

Winner: Jeff Hardy by pinfall (85/76/88)

[Commercial Break]

- Backstage, Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions Billy Kidman and Rey Mysterio, Jr. are preparing themselves cups of coffee when Kidman's girlfriend Torrie Wilson joins the duo. Torrie notes that the rumors are true: The Hardy Boyz and Lita really are upset about the way Kidman and Mysterio went about retaining their titles last Sunday. Kidman questions Torrie's tone, and Torrie admits that she can understand why Team Xtreme might be angry. "Life's unfair," Mysterio shrugs. "They'll get over it," he says. Kidman and Mysterio sip their coffee, leaving Torrie surprised by their new, not-exactly-improved attitude.

- WCW's own Olympic Hero makes his presence felt in Austin as a triumphant Kurt Angle makes his way to ringside. While he is en route, still pictures are shown of his victory over Sting at the Clash; Sting did not submit but was rather deemed unable to continue in the match by referee Mickey Jay. In the center of the ring, after a pause, Angle lets the fans know he doesn't appreciate their taunts and chants, and particularly not after having proved himself the way he did on the PPV. For years, he says, "Sting" has been synonymous with "WCW." He has been the Franchise -- the face of the company. But at the Clash, push came to shove and Sting faced the most daunting challenge of his career: that which was posed by an Olympic Gold Medalist. Sting wasn't up for the challenge. Sting crumbled. Angle says there is no question: he (Kurt Angle) is the better man, and he is the new face of World Championship Wrestling. It's true; it's damn true. How fitting it is, he reflects, that the Stinger was ousted at such a long-standing, traditional event as the Clash of the Champions. After being heavily booed, Angle chastises the fans for their jealousy of him and his lifestyle (at the center of which are the three "I"s). While he continues ranting, Hugh Morrus appears at the entrance and walks down to the ring with purpose. Angle is puzzled as Morrus climbs the ringsteps and enters the ring. Angle raises his mic. "And just who the hell are you?" Angle asks. Morrus points out that he, like so many of the other boys in the back, is just a poor jabronie who's been up and down the road with WCW for years and years. He couldn't help but hear what Kurt Angle had to say. Morrus says he's not out there in the ring on Nitro as a former member of the Dungeon of Doom or as the former General Rection; he's out there as Bill Demott: a man who is absolutely sickened. Sickened, because if Kurt Angle is the new face of WCW, then Shane McMahon might as well have pulled the plug. Demott acknowledges that Angle bested Sting at the PPV. But he didn't do it like a man, just as what he did to Lash Leroux (the former Cpl. Cajun and a good friend of Demott's) was as low as it gets. In short, Bill Demott has a problem with Kurt Angle, and he wants to address that problem tonight. Angle retorts that he has news for Demott: fat, out of shape, mediocre performers like Demott are now a dying breed in WCW, and if it's what Demott wants, Kurt Angle would be more than happy to hasten his extinction. Demott counters that he plans to give Kurt Angle a welcome he'll never forget!

[Commercial Break]

- Match Two: Rob Van Dam vs. Disqo

RVD's WCW pay-per-view record is now one for one, and Mr. Thursday Night exudes confidence tonight on Nitro. Disqo, meanwhile, is not quite so upbeat; he lost to The Bull on Sunday's shockwave pre-game show. Still, once the match gets underway and RVD dizzies his opponent early with a series of kicks, Disqo gets it in gear. At one point, Disqo drops RVD with a stuff piledriver and then connects with the elbowsmash from the middle rope. Disqo scores a series of two-counts, but RVD stages a spontaneous comeback. As Disqo prepares to hit RVD with a neckbreaker, RVD comes out of nowhere with a spinning heel kick. RVD squashes Disqo with Rolling Thunder and then the Five Star Frogsplash to pick up the victory.

Winner: Rob Van Dam by pinfall (76/74/82)

Just as referee Billy Silverman raises RVD's arm in victory, Jeff Jarrett slides into the ring from out of nowhere and smashes his trusty guitar over an unsuspecting Van Dam's back! RVD collapses on the mat. An angry Jarrett then demands a microphone and addresses his unconscious foe, stating that he hopes Van Dam enjoyed the victory while it lasted. Jarrett clarifies that nothing has changed: he is still the Chosen One, and no one -- certainly not RVD -- is going to come into WCW now and take his spot. Jarrett instructs Van Dam to stay out of his way in future, or else he runs the risk of really pissing him off. The sour Jarrett storms out amidst a chorus of boos. Meanwhile, Silverman helps Disqo to his feet outside the ring, but a disappointed Disqo doesn't appreciate the help and shoves the referee to the mat. Disqo storms to the back. Van Dam continues to lie limp at midring.

[Commercial Break]

- Scott Hudson brings "The Beast From the East" Bam Bam Bigelow out onto the stage. Hudson recaps what happened last Sunday on the PPV: in a horrible accident, Diamond Dallas Page injured his own wife Kimberly with a shot intended for Page's opponent, Mike Sanders. Hudson reminds us that Bigelow is a close, personal friend of the Page family (despite Sanders's best efforts a few weeks ago) and turns to Bigelow for an update on Kimberly's condition, as well as DDP's state of mind. Bigelow repeats that what happened to Kimberly was a freak occurrence; it shouldn't have happened, and it wouldn't have had Sanders wrestled a clean match. Bigelow notes that DDP and Kimberly have taken great strides in repairing the rift in their marriage over the past year; he is confident that Page's miscalculation on Sunday will not compromise all of that progress. Nevertheless, Kimberly was badly shaken by what happened, and DDP is beside himself. Suddenly, the music of the former Commissioner begins, and Mike Sanders joins Bigelow and Hudson on the ramp. "Boo hoo," Sanders says, grabbing the mic. Sanders refuses to accept the blame for what was clearly DDP's fault. He says he has all the sympathy in the world for Kimberly, both because of what happened at the Clash and because she's bound in matrimony to a washed-up has-been like Diamond Dallas Page. But Sanders maintains that some good has come of what happened at the Clash: DDP has seemingly gone away, at long last. Sanders pleads with Page to do them all a favor: "You went away, DDP. Stay there." Bigelow, offended by Sanders's remarks, moves to teach him a physical lesson, but security steps in to prevent a brawl. An arrogant Sanders smiles while Bigelow is dragged to the back in order to keep the peace.

[Commercial Break]

- Match Three: Anything Goes Match - Mike Awesome vs. La Parka

Awesome, looking to prove that he hadn't lost a step since his unceremonious split with former tag team partner Lance Storm, had issued an open challenge for an Anything Goes match on Nitro. The "Chair Man" of WCW was the first to take Awesome up on the offer. Awesome and Parka's styles are not exactly complimentary; Awesome uses his power advantage to inflict significant damage on Parka, who fires back with his own brand of technical and aerial offense, hitting Awesome with a Corkscrew Plancha at one point. Parka's chair does, of course, come into play; he aims at Awesome in the corner, but Awesome ducks and La Parka's chairshot connects with the turnbuckle only. Awesome picks up the chair and clumsy La Parka charges into it head first. Awesome then sets the chair up at mid-ring and Awesomebombs the luchadore right on top of it. Awesome scores the pinfall, drawing the impressing showing to a close.

Winner: Mike Awesome by pinfall (70/68/71)

[Commercial Break]

- Match Four: "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton vs. Chris Kanyon

Kanyon rebounds from his pay-per-view loss with a convincing victory over the seasoned veteran here. Tag team specialist Eaton throws a good deal of offense in Kanyon's direction, even attempting (and failing to connect with) the Alabama Jam from the top rope at one point. The Innovator of Offense largely maintains control, however. After drilling Eaton with an Electric Chair in the middle of the ring, Kanyon waits for Eaton to pull himself back up to a vertical base. Kanyon then immediately catches Eaton with the Flatliner to pick up the win.

Winner: Chris Kanyon by pinfall (72/70/78)

[Commercial Break]

- Scott Hudson joins Kanyon on the stage as Kanyon catches his breath following his match. Hudson asks Kanyon for his thoughts coming off of the Clash of the Champions. Kanyon says that what sets him apart from all of the people in the crowd is that he can't be fooled by a guy like Booker T. The only reason Booker T has enjoyed a run at the top is that he stumbled upon a string of good luck. Booker T isn't better than Kanyon; nobody's better than Kanyon. Kanyon declares that he shouldn't have lost the match on Sunday. Booker, having heard enough, makes his way out into the arena from backstage. Booker tells Kanyon that, where he comes from, actions speak louder than words. Booker T says he knows what it's like to want one more crack at the gold; that's why he's wrestling Ric Flair tonight. Booker says he's never been anything other than a fighting champion, and that if it's a rematch Kanyon wants, he's got it -- next week on Nitro: Booker T vs. Kanyon one more time for the US Heavyweight Title. Kanyon nods enthusiastically in response to the suggestion. "You have no idea what you just signed on for," Kanyon says, salivating. Booker T counters that he actually has a pretty good idea. "Don't hate the Playa," he concludes. "Hate the game!"

- Still pictures of Ken Shamrock's shocking arrival in WCW four days ago are shown.

- Ken Shamrock makes a full ring entrance. In the ring, Shamrock admits that he didn't expect to be working for a McMahon ever again. He'd resolved to finish his career where he'd started it: inside the octagon. But he notes that he's proven himself time and time again in the mixed martial arts arena. As far as wrestling goes, though, he'd only just gotten started. And he's followed the business closely over the past few years and has heard every reference Scott Steiner has made to being the "big bad booty daddy" -- the most dangerous man in the business. But Shamrock says there's a difference between being a legit tough guy and being a punk, and as far as he's concerned, Big Poppa Pump is the latter. Shamrock says there's a reason he's called the World's Most Dangerous Man, and it's not because he's beats up on women and 150 pound referees. He humiliated Scott Steiner so thoroughly last Sunday that Steiner had to resort to taking out his anger on Charles Robinson, of all people. Shamrock says that if Steiner has some aggression to unleash, he should try unleashing it on him; he's more than willing to go one more round with Scott Steiner. As a matter of fact, he insists upon going one more round. Shamrock orders Steiner to bring his ass to the ring -- with or without Stacy Keibler. Shamrock throws down the mic and waits for his opponent, but Steiner never materializes! When will we see the two most volatile individuals in WCW lock horns once more?

[Commercial Break]

- Backstage, Ken Shamrock heads back to his dressing room while promising WCW cameras that he's not through proving his point with Steiner. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Big Poppa Pump nails Shamrock from behind with a double forearm shot. Steiner grabs Shamrock and slams him headfirst into the concrete wall of the backstage area. An uncontrollable Steiner pounds away on Shamrock. Steiner is apparently completely unashamed of the cowardly way in which he attacked Shamrock. Medics tend to WCW's newest star while Stacy Keibler drags her man away from a confrontation with building security.

- Match Five: The Impact Players (Lance Storm and Justin Credible) (with Dawn Marie) vs. Kai En Tai (TAKA and Funaki)

This match exemplifies the diversified nature of WCW's tag team division. Both teams, rebounding from losses at the PPV, have something to prove here. There is tension even before the bell between the three Impact Players and referee Billy Silverman; Silverman had called the World Tag Team Title match four days before and infuriated the Players by sending conniving Dawn Marie to the back after she'd interfered on multiple occasions. Kai En Tai play the faces here, getting the better of the Players at several points in the match due to their quickness. The breaking point comes when TAKA dares to score a nearfall on Justin Credible with a Mahistral Cradle. A frustrated Credible proceeds to bring in his singapore cane and crack TAKA over the skull with it. Silverman promptly disqualifies Storm and Credible.

Winners: Kai En Tai by disqualification (75/72/85)

Dawn Marie refuses to accept the decision and gives Silverman a mouthful in the ring. Storm and Credible turn their attention to a revenge attack on Kai En Tai. World Tag Team Champions NC-17 (Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire) then hit the ring to make the save. Palumbo and O'Haire aren't the only ones with unresolved issues with the Playaz; Mike Awesome sprints down as well and joins Palumbo and O'Haire in knocking Storm and Credible silly with rights and lefts. Finally, Storm and Credible bail and make a quick retreat to the back with Dawn. The Impact Players have made more than an impact since their reformation in WCW; they've made enemies, too!

[Commercial Break]

- Back from break, Joey Styles announces that Dusty Rhodes has ordered a six-man tag team match for next week's Nitro: Tag champs NC-17 will team up with former foe Mike Awesome to battle the Impact Players and a partner of their choice!

- Earlier Tonight:

Bill Demott has a problem with Kurt Angle, and he wants to address that problem tonight. Angle retorts that he has news for Demott: fat, out of shape, mediocre performers like Demott are now a dying breed in WCW, and if it's what Demott wants, Kurt Angle would be more than happy to hasten his extinction.
Edited by tqwcw