EAST WING: DAEMON VS DAN

Daemon versus Dan

Story: A record company has been searching for freelance designers to submit their ideas for the jewel case cover to one of their top bands latest CD releases. This does not include the back or spine-- only the front. Based on the design of the front, they will pick the top designs and ask the artists to submit the full design to them for the decision.

Basic Rules: Design the front jewel case cover for an upcoming album from a band, or if you can't find any that you like, your favorite album from a band. Only the front, though... we'll take baby steps for the first round.

Restrictions: Has to include the name of the band and the name of the album somewhere. Including the logo of the recording company is optional.

Size: 550x550

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

Actually, his met the replacement deadline dude. I had replacement call and zed answered, so he's in.

I didn't want people advancing by default, so I gave 24 hours for anyone who missed signups to jump in as replacements.

ZED

-------------

Pros: Wow, two new members to the board that are skilled designers! That logo is excellent, and the placement certainly works with what you've done there. The title of the album also has a nice placement. Primary cut of the wolf is clean and crisp, effects used on the image are very nice, and all in all I could picture this being a front cover rather easily.

Cons: The only problem here is the colors picked for the font-- because of the colors used all around the text for both the logo and the CD name, it makes that text almost get lost in the cover by the casual eye. It's very hard to read the "For The Sake of Revenge" text especially.

DAN

-------------

Pros: Nice colors, nice font placement, nice font choices and effects...

Cons: ... but a poor design idea. The samurai you've put in there look tacky the way you've placed them, the blending seems unneccesary and just obscures them more then it adds to the cover. The idea to the whole thing isn't all that appealing or creative, unfortunately.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

zed's had a nice concept to it and nice execution, but that font is very difficult to read, knocking him down a few notches due to that. The casual observer would have a hard time reading it for sure, and that's not all too appealing.

Dan's concept was sorely lacking and the execution of it wasn't too nice either. His font choice and placement of text was good and the colors were appealing to the eye, but other then that there weren't many pluses to his cover.

zed takes this one pretty easily, his idea and the execution of it was just better all around. Thanks for participating though Dan, I do hope to see you next time :)

Welcome to round two, zed.

Edited by The Mask of Norro