RATED R SUPERSTAR VS ZED

Rated R Superstar versus zed

Story: A company is looking for billboard designers in your area to create a billboard design either promoting their company, an idea it supports, or an event being held by them. Not only do they want to see your proposed design, but they also want to see what it would look like on a billboard *before* it goes up on one!

Basic Rules: Create a billboard design for a company, an idea (pro-life/abortion, equal rights, etc.), or an event (circus, fund raiser, etc.). Then, take your design and find a picture of an actual billboard. Using that billboard, replace the design already on it with your own in as realistic a fashion as you can.

Restrictions: Make it clear what your billboard is stating: if it's a company, include their name, address, and a phone number to reach them by. If it's an event, include it's name, date, ticket pricing(if any) and where it's held. If it's an idea, you don't have to *say* what the idea is, but you should make it apparent as to what it represents.

Size: Billboard design should be 900x500. There is no size limit to the billboard you place your design on, so long as it isn't smaller than 500x300

Deadline: Tuesday, April 11th

• 2 weeks later...

ALLDAWSON'S JUDGING

RATED R SUPERSTAR vs ZED:

RATED R SUPERSTAR

-------------

Pros: I like the X-Port text. Planet and stars look great so congrats on making them by yourself. I also like the idea for the ad. Transition is pretty smooth.

Cons: A black drop shadow, glow or something would make the text stand out, the white glow does nothing positive. Not sure on the helicopter's presence here. I think the billboard manip could have been done better, sticks out too much and is a bit blurry.

ZED

-------------

Pros: Simple idea is good for a billboard ad. I like the layout. Blurred background works well, focuses the viewer's eyes on the text. Round of applause for the billboard manip, looks pretty good.

Cons: I don't think the font used represents a metal festival too well. I also dislike it being used for everything on the ad. I'm not keen on the green glows.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Rated R Superstar takes this one easily for me, although Zed's manip was better. The actual advert is the main thing and I think RRS's is much better. It stands out more too, more likely to grab somebody's attention than Zed's.

WILDCAT'S JUDGING

RATED R SUPERSTAR

PROS: The concept is creative and I like the transition from sky to space.

CONS: The logo is a little hard to see just becuase of the colors and the background its on, Also I don't get a feeling for what the product represents from the piece.

ZED

PROS: Simple, elegant and it works. I like the placement of everything and its very sleek as well.

CONS: Only thing is that I'm not sure if NORTH AMERICA'S PREMIER is the part of that sentance that should be bigger. The more important part of the line is that its a metal festival and I would have rather seen the whole line the size of that part of it instead of what it is. Also, as much as I ike the background you just see too much of it with nothing there to support it.

Judgement: Both are good but ZED expresses what the image is trying to promote a bit better and isn't quite so spacial. My choice is ZED.

MY JUDGING

RATED R SUPERSTAR

-------------

Pros: The colors are very appealing, the 'X-Port' text is nice and put in a good spot. I love the transitioning of the heavens and the earth here too, it certainly adds to the appeal of it all. All in all, it's a very pleasent and well thought out design :)

Cons: What the hell is it advertising? Oh, I see, helicopter rides. Here's the thing: you'd want to make that helicopter a tad bit more apparent for the fine folks going 60 on the freeway when they see these signs, otherwise they'll go "Huh, space walks?". Also, the 'Let's Fly, Let's Fly Away' text is hardly legible. Finally, the transitiion onto the billboard is great at the bottom, but jagged as HELL at the top-- the edges are much too apparent, and need to be smoothened out a bit.

ZED

-------------

Pros: I'm loving the thinned design you've gone with, it's very billboard-esque. The logo is clear to read, you state what it's all about... and, to top it off, you did a superb job at blending it onto the billboard at an angle like that.

Cons: Well, despite your superb job of course, there's some rough areas-- specifically how the bars thin and get thicker across, when they should be even. Also, that's quite alot to read for one billboard really... and, might I add, for a metal festival your billboard strangely resembles the style a jewelry store would use.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

For RRS, I fell in love with the idea behind the design and the way he handled it. The colors used, the simple layout... it was all very nice, but it didn't convey properly what he wanted it to. The slogan was hard to read, and that also brought it down.

For Zed, the purpose is stated clearer but doesn't seem to fit what he's going for. That's alot of words to have on a single billboard that will stay in most people's peripheral vision for less then 10 seconds probably.

It seems like I'm the one with the tie-breaking decision here. It's very tough because between the both of you you have equally great pros and equally bad cons. Neither of you represent what you're advertising all that well-- Zed making up with it through his text-- but where RRS fell in lacking things, Zed also fell in having TOO MUCH.

In the end, because of how close the pros and the cons were, I had to go by the casual eye. Which would appeal more to someone driving down the road? It took me awhile, but I finally had to go with Rated R Superstar, and so he will be advancing on into the semi-finals of the east wing!

I have to say, this was a VERY close battle, and the both of you deserve standing ovations for your efforts. Zed, I look forward to seeing you in the next tournament man... you made an outstanding showing for this one. Thank you for your participation.

Rated R Superstar, welcome to the semi-finals!