WCW 1996

Liam

IPB Image

Monday Nitro 22/01/96

The fireworks go off as we head into another Monday Nitro, the last one before Souled Out comes to PPV!

Tony Schiavone: Welcome everybody to another Monday Nitro, and what a stacked card we have for you tonight, ladies and gentlemen! Ric Flair, less than a week till his big title defense against The Giant will go 1 on 1 against the Giant's stable mate, The Great Muta, the man who viciously attacked Hulk Hogan last week!

Eric Bischoff: We will also see Animal go against Stevie Ray as the Harlem Heat and Road Warriors feud continues, whilst Jason Broyles and a partner of his choosing will face Brian Pillman, the man who has been after Broyles in recent weeks, and Chris Benoit.

TS: But first, we'll head to the ring and watch Chris Jericho go head to head against Rey Mysterio Jr, and you can imagine their respective tag partners for Souled Out, Ultimo Dragon and Juventud Guerrera will have their eyes on this one.

Rey Mysterio vs Chris Jericho

As we could imagine from these two, a crisp opener with some beautiful high flying from both men, a tope to the outside from Rey the pick of the bunch. Jericho went for the back and threw the smaller Rey around for a bit, seemingly in control, but as Mysterio finally managed to get his second wind, Ultimo Dragon hit the ring, giving the referee no choice but to award Rey the match by DQ.

Winner: Rey Mysterio by DQ

As Dragon and Jericho battered away on Mysterio, the crowd popped for Juventud Guerrera 's appearance, as he ran down to the ring to save Mysterio, only to be on the receiving end of a beatdown himself. With Rey hanging from the tree of woe, Jericho and Dragon punished Guerrera, a boston crab/camel clutch double team almost breaking him in half until some officials came down to stop the carnage.

Rating: 77%

TS: Despicable act by Jericho and Dragon there, but thankfully there were some officials to save Mysterio and Guerrera before they got well and truly hurt.

And this can't bode well for the match at Souled Out...the advantage is definitely with Jericho and Dragon going into that one.

The camera fades to a pre-recorded segment with Lord Steven Regal, who is standing in his locker-room.

Lord Steven Regal: It's a bloody disgrace what happened last week as I'm sure you are all aware. I spend weeks going up against that ghastly little flouncer B. Badd, and after I've scared the blighter off, some bloke by the name of Ken Shamrock comes in and steals my thunder and most importantly my title...and he isn't even bloody Irish! All I knew about him then was that he likes to roll around and grapple with other grown men in an Octagon....eight sided rings, not on my watch!

And that's the issue, Sham-rock. I knew nothing about you coming in, and you hustled the title right from underneath my nose. But, the good people at WCW have realised the error of their ways, and given me a re-match at Souled Out, in which I'll send you packing back to whatever god forsaken lark you used to do that needs four more sides to make it half as worthwhile. You may be a master of your craft, but I am Lord Steven Regal, and I will stretch you until you can't take it anymore and you'll be literally begging for me to take back what is rightfully mine...the WCW TV Title!

Rating: 71%

TS: Yet another match added to an excellent looking Souled Out card, Eric, as we see the TV Title on the line as Shamrock defends against Regal.

EB: I agree, it should be a cracker.

TS: Next in the ring, we'll get to see who Jason Broyles has managed to get to help him go against the duo of Chris Benoit and Brian Pillman.

With Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit already in the ring, Jason Broyles makes his way down to the ring and stands on the outside, waiting for his partner to come out. As his music hits the PA, the crowd are surprised to see that it is the WCW TV Champion Ken Shamrock who will partner Broyles in tonights match, but Shamrock gets a huge pop for it as well. Shamrock and Broyles shake hands at ringside, and slide into the ring, as the brawl begins.

Jason Broyles and Ken Shamrock vs Brian Pillman and Chris Benoit

As buoyed as he was with his new partner for this match, Broyles was on the receiving end of a whole world of hurt during this match, as Shamrock was expertly kept on the outside by a Four Horseman tag team that knew how to cut the ring in half. Pillman especially was particularly rabid in his attacking of the young Broyles, often going for the eyes with gouges and using closed fists more often than not to beat him down to the ground. Broyles was eventually able to make the tag after dodging Benoit's flying headbutt, and Shamrock began to clean house, dropping both members of the opposing team with an array of belly to belly suplexes. The match broke down at this point, and with Broyles tagged back in to make him the legal man, Shamrock and Benoit went to the outside brawling, as Pillman appeared pre-occupied with trying to head outside to assist Benoit. As he went to go through the ropes, a recently downed Broyles got back to his feet, hooked Pillman by the leg and rolled him up for the quick 1,2,3!

Winner: Jason Broyles and Ken Shamrock

With Shamrock and Benoit continuing to brawl on the outside seemingly oblivious to the in-ring occurrences, Pillman looked more than annoyed at the outcome of the match, and set about a bruised and battered Broyles with vicious abuse, kicking and punching away at him as Broyles backed himself into the corner. Pillman spiked Broyles hard on top of his head with a DDT, and as Broyles' semi-concious body adorned the mat, spat on him for good measure. Shamrock slid back into the ring and ran off anymore attacks from Pillman, but the damage had been done.

Rating: 79%

TS: Pillman may have lost the battle there, but he looks like he has won the way as once again, he has left Broyles down and out and most importantly, hurt!

EB: Thats what happens when you cross a member of the Four Horseman, especially the rabid Pillman, he is dangerous as it is.

With a scheduled tag team match of Eddie Guerrero and Chavo Guerrero Jr versus Diamond Dallas Page and Devon Storm due in the ring, all three men make it to the ring aside from Diamond Dallas Page. As his music hits though, he comes out to the ramp wearing a neckbrace and on crutches like last week, leaving Mean Gene to come out to question him once again.

Mean Gene: Now Diamond Dallas Page, what is the meaning of this?

DDP: Well, Mean Gene....I really did want to get into the ring and beat down on both of the Guerrero's but I'm still suffering from the vile attack that Eddie perpetrated a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping I could go, and admittedly, a nearly fit me would have no problems against either of my opponents, but my Doctor wanted me to be 100% before he'd let me back in the ring. Alas, it just wasn't to be.

MG: And you jumping Eddie from behind last week wasn't a sign of you being healed?

DDP: I don't like the fact that you seem to think I'm a liar, Gene. It took all my adrenaline, hate and passion to be able go toe to toe with Guerrero last week, it really was a superhuman effort, probably what has set me back so much injury wise.

MG: Toe to toe? You jumped him with a crutch.

DDP: Semantics, Gene, semantics. Souled Out, Eddie...don't you worry...Souled Out, I'll gladly get into the ring and beat you from pillar to post, but for the time being, I have a replacement, so have a good night.

Rating: 88%

The music of Mike Enos hits the PA system as DDP hobbles backstage, rather than watching the match at ringside, and we have our tag match.

Eddie Guerrero and Chavo Guerrero Jr vs Mike Enos and Devon Storm

Even with another unscheduled DDP absence, it was almost as if the Guerreros were prepared for it, as it doesn't throw them off their stride. Apart from a small problem with Enos' power, which he exhibits in a couple of slams on the smaller Chavo, the match is pretty straightforward, ending when Eddie hits a frogsplash on Enos for the pin.

Winner: Eddie Guerrero and Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Rating: 64%

TS: The Guerreros pick up the victory, but once again DDP manages to sneak his way out of a match.

EB: If the doctor says, the doctor says.

TS: But he attacked Eddie last week, of course he is 100%!

EB: Well, at least for you we didn't get a repeat of that.

TS: Guess so. Next, we'll see a re-match from the first Nitro of the year, as Alex Wright goes up against One Man Gang once again, but this time it is non-title.

One Man Gang (with Kevin Sullivan) vs Alex Wright

In a re-match from a few weeks ago, Alex Wright battled One Man Gang but this time OMG's US title was not on the line. Unlike last time as well, Wright manages to stick and move a lot better, using his pace and superior technical ability to wear down the big One Man Gang slowly but surely, rather than get squashed like last time. Wright seems in control, but some distraction by Kevin Sullivan gives One Man Gang enough time to recuperate and capture Wright, planting him with a huge bodyslam, followed by a big splash. One Man Gang goes for the pin, but lifts Wright up at 2, seemingly not finished with the young upstart. Another splash is missed, however, as Wright rolls out of the way and to the floor. OMG slowly got back up, and reached through the rope to grab at Wright as he was getting to his feet, only to be tagged hard in the face with a steel chair!

Winner: One Man Gang by DQ

Alex Wright seems as confused as anyone else as to why he has the chair in his hand, and drops it immediately. One Man Gang is laid out in the ring but slowly stirring, and as he gets up, Wright meets him with a missile dropkick off the top rope! Wright continues to pummel away at Gang, with occasional resistance as their fight goes from the ring, to ringside and then back up the ramp.

Rating: 67%

TS: Wright got disqualified...I did not see that coming, and neither did he from the look of it.

EB: It seemed pretty out of character, but at least he didn't get squashed like he did last time against The Gang...kids learning.

Animal vs Stevie Ray

Similar to the match last week between Booker T and Hawk, this resembled an all out war both inside and outside the ring, as it didn't take long before Hawk and Booker were slamming each other about at ringside as Animal and Stevie Ray were battering each other in the ring. As Animal seemed to be in control, Booker T attempted to distract him by getting on the apron. However, as Animal went over to deal with Booker T, he had presence of mind to dodge an onrushing Stevie Ray at the last second, leaving Harlem Heat to clash heads! A stunned Stevie Ray was then drilled with a beautiful powerslam giving Animal the pinfall and the win.

Winner: Animal

Booker T is quick to grab his fallen brother and get him out of harms way, as Animal and Hawk posture in the ring. As Harlem Heat headed back up the rampway, The Road Warriors are stood in the ring gesturing that the belts will soon be around their waists.

Rating: 84%

TS: And with that, we see it tied at one between these two teams in singles matches, but with Road Warriors having the advantage going into Souled Out. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw new champions, Eric.

EB: Yeah, but Harlem Heat always have something up their sleeves, we'll see what it is come Sunday.

The camera fades to a pre-recorded segment this time with Macho Man Randy Savage.

Macho Man: OOHHH YYEAAAH......Souled Out is just around the corner, and Macho Man is going to be stepping into the ring with Chris Benoit of the Four Horseman. Now I'm thinking that he is a great talent and a good wrestler but he isn't the Macho Man and when I dropped the elbow on him and got the win then I'm moving on up to bigger things. Arn Anderson, when I win, be ready, OHHH YEEAHHHH!

Rating:91%

TS: And here we are now, at our Main Event, as Ric Flair goes one on one against The Great Muta in a non-title match.

The Great Muta (with Kevin Sullivan and The Giant) vs Ric Flair (with Arn Anderson)

With a loaded ringside area, these two went at it, Flair looking to gain some momentum going into Souled Out, and Muta just looking to soften him up for The Giant. Flair straight away showed why he is the dirtiest player in the game, going to the eye and then the groin to get control of the match, and slowly he began to work on Muta's knee. It was a short-lived ascendancy, though, as Muta used his own dirty tricks by going to the eyes of Flair as Flair went for a suplex, before dropping Flair with not one, but two dragon screws, working on Flairs knee joint. Muta locked in his own version of the Figure Four, looking to do some serious damage and Flair looked as if he was in agony as he slowly moved towards the ropes. Realising he wasn't going to make it, Flair instead used all his strength to roll it over, reversing the pressure and leaving Muta screaming out in pain but was able to reach the ropes. A revitalised Flair dropped Muta with a couple of clotheslines, dropped a knee to the face and went for his own figure four. As he synched it in, he didn't notice Muta had slid the spike out of his trousers, and Muta stabbed at Flair's knee-joint as he locked it in, as Sullivan had the ref tied up. Anderson went to break this up, but The Giant blocked his attempts, as Muta continued to go for the knee. The crowd popped though as Hulk Hogan came down to the ringside area, distracting The Great Muta, who went to the edge of the ring and began arguing with Hogan. Always the oppurtunist, Flair rolled up a distracted Muta with a hand-full of tights and got the 1,2,3!

Winner: Ric Flair

Rating: 78%

With Flair grabbing the win, all hell breaks loose as Hogan jumps in the ring and begins to brawl with Muta in revenge from his attack last week, whilst The Giant and Sullivan are in to get Flair, with Anderson quick to come to his friends aid. Hogan slams Muta over the top rope at the same time as a Flair chop barrage leaves The Giant little choice but to head for higher ground and Anderson dumps Sullivan over the top rope with a clothesline. As Hogan and Flair back away from their respective sides of the ring, they clash mid ring back to back. The crowd is going mad as they turn around to face each other, as Anderson stands on watching. Hogan and Flair exchange a few words, and it is Flair who leaves the ring first, heading off with Anderson and leaving Hogan to pose in the ring.

Rating 86%

TS: And thats all for tonight folks, we are out of time!

EB: Goodbye and goodnight!

Card Rating: 79%

TV Rating: 5.04

IPB Image

WCW World Title Match

Ric Flair © vs The Giant

The Great Muta vs Hulk Hogan

WCW World Tag Team Title Match

Harlem Heat © vs The Road Warriors

Randy Savage vs Chris Benoit

Eddie Guerrero vs Diamond Dallas Page

WCW TV Title Match

Ken Shamrock © vs Lord Steven Regal

Open Challenge For The US Title

One Man Gang vs ???

Chris Jericho and The Ultimo Dragon vs Rey Mysterio Jr and Juventud Guerrera

(OOC: Fuck it, Macho Man promos are wayyy too hard, so it is shit and I know it is...sorry.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SN was decent for what it was, Definetely glad to see Chavo and Malenko walk away with wins. I'd love to see Malenko get pushed, Perhaps, Against Shamrock? As for Nitro, It was good, But not as good as the previous ones. I didn't think the Savage interview was that bad. I'm enjoying DDP against the Guerrero's, But really, He needs to find some better people than two jobbers to be his replacements. So glad to see Alex Wright show a mean streak, Though, I hope a heel turn doesn't come out of it, As Wright could be a top babyface in the midcard scene. OMG definitely needs to drop the title. Keep up the good work, Looking forward to Souled Out. (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

IPB Image

WCW Saturday Night 27/01/96

As the camera fades in, we head straight to the ring for a match, foregoing the usual recap of events on Nitro as Jerry Lynn, complete without his mask, gets a re-match against Chris Kanyon.

Jerry Lynn vs Chris Kanyon

Lynn seems a lot more vicious than last week, hitting Kanyon hard and fast from the opening bell with Kanyon struggling to match the intense Lynn. Kanyon takes control after a missed plancha by Lynn, but loses it shortly afterwards when Lynn catches him with a lowblow as Kanyon looked for a german suplex. Lynn followed this up with a DDT that spiked Kanyon right on the top of his head, rolling over and hooking the leg for the three count!

Winner: Jerry Lynn

Rating: 69%

The cameras fade to a video recap of the history of the Brian Pillman/Jason Broyles feud.

06/01: Pillman and Arn Anderson attack Broyles after Broyles loses his match with Chris Benoit, who joins in the attack also.

13/01: Broyles runs down to stop Pillman attacking Ace Darling after Pillman's victory. They brawl, with Broyles just getting the better of it. Broyles tells Mean Gene he doesn't like Pillman's attitude.

20/01: Broyles confirms that he will face Pillman at Souled Out

22/01: Broyles and his partner for the night Ken Shamrock defeat Pillman and his partner Chris Benoit, as Broyles rolls up a distracted Pillman. Pillman is up quickly after the pinfall loss and viciously attacks Broyles, before spitting on his fallen body.

Rating: 62%

We then get to see a video recap of the lead up to the Chris Benoit vs Randy Savage match at Souled Out

08/01: As Savage told Mean Gene that he wanted a re-match against Ric Flair for the World Title, Anderson and Chris Benoit headed to the stage to confront Savage. Anderson stated that Savage was bottom of the rungs these days, and didn't deserve anything. Savage attacked Benoit and Anderson, only to get beaten down by the two of them.

15/01: In an interview with Mean Gene, Anderson states that if Savage wants the attention of Flair, or the Horseman as a whole, he can start by going one on one with Chris Benoit at Souled Out, as he isn't yet worth Flair's or his own time.

22/01: In a pre-taped promo, Savage promises not only to beat Benoit at Souled Out, but that he will come for Anderson when he has finished.

Rating: 85%

With the two recaps over, we head to the ring for the second match of WCW Saturday Night.

The Suicide Blondes vs The American Males

With the wins of the past two weeks behind them, The Suicide Blondes reek of confidence, but both teams get their fair share of the cheers from the fans. It is seemingly this self-belief which makes the difference throughout the match, as The Suicide Blondes are always one step ahead, Cage initially taking it to Riggs, before Copeland enters and takes control of Bagwell. A comeback from Bagwell sees The Males corner Copeland for a minute or so, but it isn't long before, after ducking a clothesline and hitting a dropkick, Copeland makes the tag to Cage. All four men are in, and after Bagwell is dumped to the outside by Copelan, a double-storey superplex is enough to keep Riggs down for the three count and win the Suicide Blondes the match, and third straight victory.

Winner: The Suicide Blondes

Before the Main Event, we see two more video recaps, with The Great Muta versus Hulk Hogan the first feud recapped.

01/01: During a Hogan interview in the ring, the light goes out and a strange symbol is shown on the screen. Hogan looks confused as he leaves the ring.

08/01: The Taskmaster downsizes the Dungeon Of Doom, but promises that Hulk Hogan is still on their minds, and they will defeat him. In an interview with Hogan by Mean Gene later in the show, The Taskmaster appears, taunting Hogan, before The Great Muta attacks Hogan, revealing him as the person behind last week.

15/01: As Hogan came down the corridor on his way to a match against Jim Powers, Hogan is attacked brutally by Muta, who slams him into the wall and jabs him in the forehead with a spike several times.

22/01: Hogan distracts Muta in his match against Ric Flair, allowing Flair to roll up Muta for the win. Hogan helps Flair afterwards, beating up Muta and throwing him out of the ring,

Rating: 89%

The last recap of the night shows the lead up to the World Title match at Souled Out, as the champion Ric Flair faces the challenger The Giant.

01/01: With Sting and Lex Luger stating their claims for a shot at Flair, Flair proposes they fight each other later in the show, the winner getting a shot against him. As the match occurs, The Giant attacks both Sting and Luger, leaving the match as a no contest.

08/01: With Sting and Luger facing The Giant and a partner of his choice in the main event, everyone is surprised to see Flair come out. It is, however, a trap, and The Giant attacks Flair before the match, leaving him laying. In a quick interview with Mean Gene, The Giant tells him that he wants a shot at the title.

15/01: With The Giant in the ring after he and The Great Muta defeat Sting and Lex Luger in tag team action, Flair hits the ring with a chair and attacks Giants' knee, dropping him down to the mat. Flair than grabs the microphone and accepts the Giants challenge for Souled Out.

22/01: After defeating The Great Muta, Flair is attacked by The Giant, though Arn Anderson and Hulk Hogan fend off both The Giant and Muta with Flair.

Rating: 86%

As we fades out of the recap, we head to the main event of the night, as Scott Norton faces the guy he turned on last week, Ice Train.

Ice Train vs Scott Norton

The fans are firmly behind Ice Train as these two behemoths go head to head, and we have the typical big man showdown, as they collide with tests of strength, shoulder charge stand offs and clothesline standoffs, before Train takes Norton by surprise with a flying shoulder tackle, dropping him to the mat and giving Train the upper hand. Train tries to overpower Norton, but with an avalanche into the corner avoided, Norton drops Train with a huge powerslam, driving the air out of Train's body! It was experience like this which was telling, as Norton dropped Train with an unbelievable powerbomb, getting a pretty comprehensive victory over his former tag partner!

Winner: Scott Norton

Card Rating: 73%

TV Rating: 2.90

IPB Image

WCW World Title Match

Ric Flair © vs The Giant

WCW TV Title Match

One Man Gang vs ???

OOC: A PPV without Sting and Luger? D'oh...>_> But yeah, I have plans :P

Edited by HGwannabe

Nice to see this is finally back :wub:

I'm glad you dropped Mr JL and are starting to give Lynn a personality. Given a few wins and a short feud with someone he's a great choice to move into either the CW or TV title hunts. The Blondes pick up another win, and I smiled the little comment of them reeking with confidence (Whether that was aimed at their later personas or not). Seems like despite the fans being behind Train, Norton is the one getting the push after picking up with win comprehensively as you put it. I wasn't surprised to see all the segments used to run down Souled Out, as it is scheduled to be the next show right? If so, I might as well mention a few things about that too.

WCW World Title Match

Ric Flair © vs The Giant

- I'm all for a Giant title run, but I think it's a little too soon to be going that route. The Dungeon of Doom need to stabilise first and possibly add another decent member or two before Giant is ready to step up again.

- My heart says Muta, but my head says Hogan. Being the politician that he is, I don't think Hogan would ever let himself be pinned by Muta, especially considering seven years later he'd beat Chono in Japan. This is Hogan's house, and Muta is far too much below him in his mind.

- This is one match I'm not totally sure on with my prediction. I'd like to see The Road Warriors go over with a little miscommunication between Stevie and Booker, leading to Booker breaking out on his own and Steevie being relegated to job fodder.

- Realism would lead to Savage going over Benoit, and the rest of the Horsemen one by one before making it to Flair. I hope Benoit can at least drag out a decent match from him, and not lose cleanly.

- I'd like to see this carry on for at least another month at the least, so DDP should cheat to win and brag about "overcoming his injury" and beating Eddie (despite it being tainted)

WCW TV Title Match

- Regal is the man, but Shamrock just won the belt. You've done a lot to get him over in the few short weeks he's been in WCW, and losing the belt so soon after winning it would damage his momentum a lot.

One Man Gang vs ???

- I've told you of my disdain for the US tile scene right now, but I did like how you kept the belt on OMG instead of going the easy route and putting it on someone better. It seems like this is the best time for the belt to switch hands and start putting more focus onto it.

- Personal preference here, as Jericho and Dragon are two of my all time favourite wrestlers and they're going up against two of my all time least favourite wrestlers. The heels should go over, and possibly have Juvi get pissy with Rey after losing.

WCW World Title Match

Ric Flair © vs The Giant

By either a ton of interference or by some dusty DQ. I don't see The Giant winning, Unless it's by DQ. I hope The Giant does get a title reign in the future, As you need a young champion to go up against the WWF's "New Generation".

Hulk Hogan squash at it's finest. I just don't see Muta winning this thing. I see Hogan winning this and then challenging Flair for the title sometime in the future.

Don't really care for this one, But I just see Animal and Hawk winning it. Not sure on who they'll feud with though, As the tag team division in WCW is a mess at this point.

Savage wins. Savage either go through everyone of the Horsemen to get to Flair, Or end up getting to Anderson and losing. Benoit is nothing more than midcard right now, And Savage is a former World Champion.

Just because I see DDP getting a big heel push, While Eddie Guerrero won't be doing much right now. I could see a rematch happening with Guerrero winning, But DDP wins this one.

WCW TV Title Match

Shamrock just won the title. There's no way he'll be losing it right now. I'd like to see this feud keep going, Depending on how well this match goes.

One Man Gang vs ???

You desperately need a new US Champion. I hope it's Alex Wright. But my guess is someone who's debuting.

50/50, But I think the faces will go over here.

IPB Image

The fireworks go off as the first WCW PPV of the new year, Souled Out begins in front of a live, jam-packed arena audience who appear to be in full voice!

Tony Schiavone: Hello and welcome to WCW Souled Out!

Eric Bischoff: What a packed card we have for tonight, with all 4 titles on the line, and a whole lot more besides.

TS: The first match we'll be seeing tonight will see the young upstart of Jason Broyles face off against a man who has had it in for him as of late, Brian Pillman.

EB: It's Broyles first PPV for WCW, and you gotta expect the nerves are building up....and it'll only get worse when he sees the raving wildman that is Pillman across the ring from him.

Match One

Brian Pillman vs Jason Broyles

Broyles is in the ring first, with the crowd giving him a very warm welcome, though the look of nervousness is obvious upon his face. Pillman is the complete opposite, the intense look on his eyes as he comes down to the ring unshaken by the pretty hostile crowd reaction. As the match begins, it doesn't seem as if Pillman is willing to take it seriously, as he appears too intent on fooling around, ducking under the ropes several times as Broyles comes near him, before heading to the floor a couple of times to jaw with the fans at ringside. You can sense the frustration of Broyles, and as Pillman gets back in from one of his slanging matches, Broyles meets him with a big dropkick, knocking Pillman back out to ringside! He gets up and does not look impressed, sliding back into the ring and they begin to brawl, rights and lefts thrown at a staggering rate, with Broyles slowly getting the upper hand, dropping Pillman to the floor with a right eventually, before knocking a rising Pillman out to the floor yet again with a dropkick. As the referee grabbed Broyles to make him back away from the ropes and give Pillman some space, Jason pushed the ref off and moved towards the ring ropes, only to be met with a vicious chair shot from Pillman! The ref has no choice but to call for the bell, and award Broyles the match via DQ.

Winner: Jason Broyles by DQ

Broyles is out cold on the mat, and Pillman slides back in, stalking his fallen prey with a sick smile adorned on his face. Lifting the chair high in the air, Pillman plasters Broyles face into the mat with another swing, before nailing the referee with a shot of the chair as well to stop his attempt at stopping the carnage. One, two, three more shots to the head, and you can almost hear a pin drop in the arena as the audience are shocked by the brutal attack. Opening the dented chair just enough to slide Broyles' leg into it, Pillman heads to the second rope to cause further damage. Some officials and agents head down to the ring to try and stop him, as Pillman jumps off the turnbuckle with a stomp to the metal chair wrapped around the leg, leaving Broyles screaming in agony. Two more stomps on the chair are enough for Pillman, as he rolls out of the ring as the officials and agents come in to protect Broyles. Pillman is booed as he leaves the ring and walks up the rampway, a luxury that isn't afforded to Broyles as he has to be carried out on a stretcher, his leg strapped down for support.

TS: Eric, I can't believe what we just saw! Broyles leg MUST be broken.

EB: It was a brave decision for the young man to step up to face Pillman, but you just never know what you might get from him, and well...thats the answer for tonight.

TS: I guess I'll apologise for this sickening act on behalf of the production crew, but hopefully the next match will be able to wash this taste of brutality out of your mouth as we see 4 of the best high flyers in the world meet in tag team action.

EB: With Ultimo Dragon seemingly unwilling to respect Juventud Guerrera and Rey Mysterio Jr, Chris Jericho has also butted his way into this dispute, after debuting a few weeks ago on Nitro. Whatever happens, it should be a thriller.

Match Two

Chris Jericho and Ultimo Dragon vs Juventud Guerrera and Rey Mysterio Jr.

The crowd, still slightly subdued after the abrupt ending to the first match of the night, quickly find their voice in support of Rey and Juve, who come down to the ring together, unlike their opponents who have separate entrances. The match begins with stereo planchas from Rey and Juve as Ultimo and Jericho stood at ringside deciding who would be first in the ring! All four men brawl around the ringside but as Juve and Ultimo enter back into the ring, Jericho grabs Mysterio by the arm and whips him hard into one of the ringposts, leaving him down and out on the floor for the time being. This allows Jericho to get into the ring and go to work with Ultimo on Juve, double teaming him and making use of quick tags to keep the fresh man in as Rey slowly struggled to regain his composure on the floor and make it back to his corner. Juve blocked an attempted tiger driver from Jericho and dropped him with a backdrop, but when he got to his corner, Rey was still down and Jericho came rushing in and took him back to the mat with a clothesline, a similar circumstance occurring a little later only this time after Ultimo had missed an attempted spin kick.

Rey finally was able to get back into his corner, but Juve had taken a great deal of punishment as was showcased by Rey having to break up a dragon sleeper that Juve would have probably submit to. A ducked clothesline followed by a double clothesline left both Ultimo and Juve down in the middle of the ring, and both men tried to make it to their corners. As Juve made the tag to Rey, Ultimo went to make the tag to Jericho, but Jericho stepped off the ring apron onto the ring stairs, leaving Ultimo no-one to tag to. Dragon turned around into a splash into the corner from Rey, and as Jericho began to walk back up the ramp and leave his partner, Ultimo was subjected to a nice tag team move as a Juvi driver left him open for a beautiful moonsault from Rey, giving them the three count and the victory!

Winner: Rey Mysterio Jr and Juventud Guerrera

With Jericho at the top of the ramp taunting all three men in the ring, Juve and Rey slowly help a dazed Ultimo to his feet. Dragon points towards Jericho, and cuts his throat in a gesture of future retribution, before turns to both Rey and Juve, offering his hand. Both Rey and Juve accept the handshake, and Ultimo then raises both their arms as the crowd cheer to celebrate their victory.

Rating: 72%

EB: Jericho showing that he was out for himself all along, but it seems that all three of the other crusierweights wouldn't mind getting their hands on him in the near future.

TS: He better be watching his back, because he has made a few enemies already in his stay in WCW and you don't want too many of those.

EB: In the next match, the One Man Gang's open challenge will be answered as whoever is brave enough to step into the ring with the one man wrecking crew gets a shot at the US title!

Match Three

WCW US Title Match

One Man Gang (w/ Kevin Sullivan) © vs ???

One Man Gang heads down to the ring first, with the crowd vocal in their hatred for the current US champion. As OMG waits in the ring for his opponent, some unfamiliar music hits the PA system and a masked man in a black body suit with a black and silver mask heads down to the ringside to a pretty confused reaction. This confusion isn't helped by the announcement of the man as “Mr X”, a name made more obvious by the huge silver X on the back of the wrestlers singlet. The bell rings, and One Man Gang looks set to make quick work of this newcomer, grabbing him by the throat and launching him across the ring! Mr X gets to his feet and is met by an oncoming OMG, squashing him into the turnbuckle! Gang picks up his limp body, and pitches him to the floor, which gives Gang time to soak up the crowds disdain. This is a mistake, as whilst Gang is posturing to the crowd, Mr X is pulled under the ring by someone unseen, who then crawls out himself decked in the same attire as Mr X. One Man Gang heads back to the ropes to pull the rising Mr X into the ring, but X drops him throat first across the top rope, rocking the big man! Sliding into the ring, Mr X then hits a beautiful crescent kick up underneath Gang's chin, almost lifting him out of his shoes and almost knocking him down, Gang clutching at the top rope to keep himself upright. An irish whip and dropkick combo from X do take One Man Gang down to the mat, and as Gang slowly gets back to his feet, Mr X hooks him around his waist and hits an impressive german suplex, dumping Gang on the back of his head! Mr X is quick to get the cover and three seconds later, we have a new US champion!

Winner: Mr X, the NEW US Champion

The ref grabs the belt and hands it to the masked man, who goes to the top rope and shows off his new aqcuisition to the crowd who seem pleased that someone, even the newcomer, has taken the belt off of the One Man Gang. Laying the belt on the turnbuckle, Mr X grabs the back of the mask and pulls it off, revealing...Alex Wright! Finally, Wright has beaten One Man Gang, outsmarting him and winning the US title. As Wright leaves the ring with the crowd cheering him on his way, Sullivan has entered the ring and is berating the Gang for his loss. Slapping the fallen One Man Gang in the face, Sullivan turns his back on his charge and leaves the ring. “Mr X” slowly crawls out from underneath the ring at precisely the wrong time, as an already dazed condition isn't helped by a Sullivan whip into the guard-rail!

EB: We have a new US champion, and Alex Wright out-smarted the big man to pick up the victory.

TS: Wright has seemingly reigned in the rush of blood type reactions that we saw get him DQ'd last week against One Man Gang, and we'll see how well he copes with his first major WCW title reign.

EB: I dunno, whacking someone with a chair isn't always the best thing to do....

TS: As I'm sure Wright is aware......anyway, the next title match is upon us, as Lord Steven Regal gets a chance to take back the TV title that he lost to Ken Shamrock only a couple of weeks ago.

Match Four

WCW TV Title Match

Another close encounter between the two, the two put on another technical masterclass to wow the fans. Shamrock takes the initial advantage and uses his strikes and kicks to wear down Regal, before using a few leglocks and ankleholds to work away, preparing for his ankle lock finisher. Regal is his usual wily self, however, and as the ref goes to break up a leglock from Shamrock as Regal grabs the ropes, he thumbs Shamrock hard in the eye, giving him control of the match. Regal peppers a half-blinded Shamrock with European uppercuts, knees to the face and a double jumping knee to put him down to the mat and get a two count. With Shamrock grounded, Regal begins to work over the arm and back, himself setting up for his own submission finisher as well. A boston crab by Regal almost has Shamrock in trouble with it being in the centre of the ring, but Shamrock uses his upper body strength to pull himself to the to the ropes and force the break. A tiger driver gives Regal another close two count, but Shamrock slowly starts firing himself up, shrugging off and then blocking attempted uppercuts, before nailing Regal with a huge belly to belly suplex, driving the air out of the man from England! Picking Regal up, Shamrock dumps him with two variations, one a spinning variation, and then an overhead version which almost gives Shamrock the win, Regal just able to get his foot on the rope. Mounting Regal, Shamrock begins to pummel him with strikes, and as Regal raises his hand to bloke the punches, Shamrock takes advantage of the predicament and grabs the arm, wrenching back with an armbar. Regal struggles for a short while, but has nowhere to go and has no choice but to submit!

Winner: Ken Shamrock, still WCW TV champion

Shamrock is ecstatic with his victory, and showcases the TV title to all four corners of the ring before leaving up the rampway to the cheers of the crowd. Regal looks unimpressed having given his all, but is given a round of applause from a crowd who realise that this is the case.

TS: Regal again put up a good fight against Shamrock, but his legit background just seems too much to handle.

EB: Oh, all the credit goes to Shamrock for prevailing in a tough battle there, Regal is a former TV champion, so that is pretty impressive right there.

TS: WCW have got themselves a great talent, seemingly.

EB: Next in the ring Schiavone, we'll see Eddy Guerrero finally get his hands on DDP, after DDP has dodged Eddy these past few weeks.

TS: I hope Eddy gets retribution, DDP deserves all he gets for faking injury the last couple of weeks in attempts to get one over on Guerrero.

With Eddy Guerrero in the ring already, DDP's music hits the PA system, only for mass disapproval when DDP is seen hobbling on crutches again, wearing a neck brace also. He slowly makes his way down to the ring, and hobbles up the ringsteps, slowly and painstakingly getting into the ring. DDP asks for a microphone to be handed up to him by the ring announcer.

DDP: Fans, I understand your upset and angry that you may not get to see your number one, DDP, wrestle tonight against the cheating scumbag that is Eddy Guerrero and it is heart wrenching to feel your support, truly it is. As you all know, I've been on the shelf after Eddy heinously jumped me from behind, and I've trained and rehabbed my injuries intensely, all to get ready for this match. But, I've not been cleared to wrestle.

The crowd begin to boo voraciously, seeing straight through DDP's ruse.

DDP: I know, I know, there is nothing I'd like more than to entertain you all, but there is nothing I can do about it. All I can do is let you all know that you shall see DDP in the ring in the near future, just not tonight at Souled Out.

Eddy Guerrero has had enough, and grabs the microphone off of DDP to the cheers of the crowd. As Eddy turns to address the audience, DDP stops hobbling, and lamps Guerrero across the back with one of his crutches! Eddy crumples to the floor, as DDP throws out the remnants of the crutch he just broke and the other crutch, before begin to pound away on Guerrero. The ref is down at ringside, and the bell rings.

Match Five

Diamond Dallas Page vs Eddy Guerrero

As you can imagine, the crutch shot took a lot out of Guerrero, and DDP is like a rabid dog, pounding away on Guerrero, who does his best to attempt to cover up and absorb the blows, but to little affect. DDP begins to put his size advantage to use by dragging Guerrero up to his feet, and dropping him with a side slam for a two count, and then a bodyslam getting another two count in the early going. DDP pitches Eddy to the outside, and continues his intense beatdown, whipping Guerrero into the guardrail twice, smashing his head on the announce table and then ramming him back into the ring, cracking his lower back hard. DDP rolls Eddy back in just before the 10 count and the onslaught continued, an irish whip into the corner followed by a clothesline that almost took Guerrero's head off. As Eddy stumbled out of the corner, a discus punch dropped him to the mat for a near 3 count, Guerrero just able to roll the shoulder before the three.

You could sense the frustration beginning to settle in with DDP, and he began to push his chances a little. Another irish whip into the corner and clothesline attempt was blocked by a boot to the face from Guerrero, and after DDP stopped that comeback with a thumb to the eye and a DDT, he made the mistake of heading to the top rope, only for Guerrero to get up and fall back onto the top ropes, crotching DDP on the top. Guerrero saw this was his chance, and took DDP down to the mat with a massive superplex off the top rope, rolling over a few seconds later into the pinfall. These seconds may have cost him, as DDP just kicked out, but the match was in Guerrero's hands now. A three suplex combo got another near fall, as did a quick hurracanrana off of a reversed irish whip. However, the ref was then inadvertently caught by a stray punch from Guerrero as Eddy and DDP stood toe to toe, slugging it out. Guerrero got the better of the exchange, and then nailed a brainbuster, hooking the leg for the pin. With the ref out, Guerrero went over to check on him, allowing DDP to roll out of the ring and grab the remnants of the crutch. Eddy turned around to a crutch shot straight to the throat, setting up nicely for the Diamond Cutter. The ref just came to as DDP collapses down onto Guerrero and counts the three to give DDP the tainted victory.

Winner: Diamond Dallas Page

DDP looks exhausted, rolling out of the ring and heading backstage as quickly as he could, seemingly not wanting to hang around too long. Eddy is slow to shake off the cobwebs, but he does receive a rapturous applause as he gets to his feet. He salutes the crowd before heading back up the ramp.

Rating: 81%

TS: And again, DDP sneaks his way out of Eddy's clutches, using the crutch to get the victory here tonight. It's disgusting, Bischoff.

EB: The man has brains.

TS: Yeah, well I'm sure Guerrero will be looking for the next chance to beat the brains out of DDP's little head, you can count on that.

EB: Next in the ring, we've got two men trying to prove a point to someone else, as Randy Savage looks to get the attention of the Horseman, whilst Chris Benoit tries to show that he is good enough to compete with the best WCW has to offer.

Match Six

Chris Benoit (w/ Arn Anderson) vs Randy Savage

Benoit has Arn Anderson in his corner for “moral support”, and as you can imagine this throws off Savage at the start, as he spends more time jawing with Anderson than he does focusing on Benoit. When they do lock up, it seems as though Savage knows exactly what he is setting out to do, as his mile-a-minute offense overwhelms Benoit initially, Savage throwing punches, elbows and then taking Benoit down with two slams before a shaken Benoit rolls to the floor to re-group. This seems to have little affect, as although Savage is backed into the corner with a few chops from Benoit, he is quick to duck out and take it to Benoit with some more punches and elbows. A rocked Benoit is then hit with a quick second rope axehandle smash by Savage for a quick two count, before Benoit again heads to ringside. This time though, he drags Savage by his boot to the floor with him, before launching him throat first onto the guard rail. Benoit begins to put the boots to Savage, and when he returns to the ring, Anderson does the same, the ref distracted by his admonishment of Benoit. Savage is slow to get back into the ring, and Benoit begins to put his submission moves to work, working on the arms with an armbar and a triangle choke.

Savage threatens comebacks several times and it takes all of Benoit's effort and ability to control him, one instance ducking an onrushing attack in the corner, before dumping Savage on the back of his head with a release german suplex, which got a really near fall. Benoit gets a near fall off of a powerbomb straight into a pin, but when he misses a diving headbutt off the top, the match is in the balance. Both men get to their feet at the same time, but a punch/chop war sees Savage get the better of Benoit, before grabbing his head and dropping him throat first on the top rope via jumping over the top rope himself, before sliding back into the ring and getting a near fall, Benoit just kicking out. Savage was quick to the top rope, and rocked Benoit with a big double axe handle to the temple, before following this up with his big elbow off the top rope to the prone body of Benoit. The ref gets down for the count, 1, 2......the count is broken up by a stomp to Savage from Anderson. As Anderson picks up Savage, whips him into the ropes and plants him with a spinebuster, the ref has already stood up and called for the bell.

Winner: Randy Savage by DQ

Savage doesn't look much like a winner though, as the spinebuster has driven all life seemingly out of his body. This doesn't stop Anderson, who picks up the limp Savage and drops him with a standing spinebuster, before Anderson and a groggy Benoit begin to put the boots to him. The crowd aren't happy with what has transpired, but their jeers turn to cheers as Ken Shamrock runs down to the ring to stop the assault. Anderson uses his intuition and drops down to the mat, rolling out of the ring to avoid the wrath of Shamrock, but Benoit stays and the two men go toe to toe with chops and punches, before the fresher Shamrock fires a few rapidfire kicks to Benoit's legs and abdomen, knocking him to the floor. Benoit sees this as an apt time to leave the ring himself, and the crowd cheer as Shamrock has a staredown with Benoit as the two members of the Horseman head back up the ramp.

Rating: 86%

TS: Savage had the match in the bag there, but Anderson jumped him, forcing the DQ. It's a good job Shamrock made his way down to the ring, or Savage could have been in a lot more trouble.

EB: Shamrock and Benoit seemed content to tear into each other last Nitro, and Shamrock seemingly wants some more.

TS: We have the third title match so far tonight, Eric, as we see the tag team titles up for grabs.

EB: I like Harlem Heat, though I don't always agree with their way of doing things..but they gotta be worried going into tonight's match against The Road Warriors.

Match Seven

The crowd are firmly behind the Warriors as these two big teams collide for the titles, and this is what they literally do to start off with, all four men battering away the second the bell went. Hawk and Animal though have the strength advantage, and it isn't long before Stevie Ray has escaped to the floor, leaving Booker T in the ring, subject to a few double team power moves from the Warriors, including a double shoulder tackle which gets them a two count early on. With the referee finally getting control over the match, the Warriors cut the ring off initially, keeping Booker T grounded with big sledges, clotheslines and a ring-shaking powerslam from Animal that causes Stevie Ray to enter and break the pinfall. Booker T manages to avoid clothesline from Hawk, but when Stevie Ray comes in, he is subject to a lot of the same, as Hawk takes him down to the mat with an impressive dropkick for a big man, before the quick tags and double teaming continues. The Road Warriors again almost pick up the victory with a piledriver from Hawk on Ray, which Booker T has to break up at 2. This action brings Animal back into the ring, the match again breaking down into a pier six brawl. Animal and Stevie Ray head to the floor brawling, but Ray grabs Animal and plants him face first into the ringside mats, before sliding back into the ring. A low blow to Hawk from Booker T as the ref is focused on the outside skirmish stops the Warriors in their tracks, and the incoming Ray drops Hawk hard with a double underhook facebuster. Booker T then nails him with the axe kick to the back of the head, before getting the cover and the 1,2,3 to retain their titles.

Winner: Harlem Heat, still WCW World Tag Team Champions

TS: Harlem Heat somehow retain their titles. Surely, any other day, the dominance that Road Warriors had would have paid off, and we'd be seeing new champs?

EB: Heat aren't tag champions for nothing, and they showed their ability to take control of a situation and turn it to their advantage tonight. You can bet the Road Warriors won't see this as the last chapter of their little feud, though.

TS: And we are up to the penultimate match of the night, Eric, and a match that many have looked forward to.

EB: Hulk Hogan has met some big and dangerous men before, but will he be able to beat and survive against the violent man from the Orient, The Great Muta.

TS: And with The Taskmaster in Muta's corner, anything is possible.

Match Eight

Hulk Hogan vs The Great Muta (w/ The Taskmaster)

As is the norm, the crowd are fully behind Hulk Hogan, although for once there appears to be a slight air of apprehension on Hogan's face, as the crazed look on Muta's shows just what he may be in for tonight. As the match begins, Muta slides in and out of the ring several times, as if trying to play mind games with Hogan, suggesting they'll start the match when he wants to. This also gives Muta a chance to scare a few fans in attendance, threatening to spit his mist in their face. When they finally do go at it, Muta is quick to go with a chop to the throat and a savate kick, taking Hogan down to the mat before a snap elbowdrop from Muta compounds this position. Muta then grabs Hogan's hand and begins to bite away at his fingers as the ref tries to step in and break this up, Muta finally stopping at the count of 4. Muta chooses the wrong time to try and posture to the fans, as Hogan is quick up to his feet, rocking the smaller Muta with rights and lefts, before throwing him hard to the mat with a bodyslam. Muta is then whipped into the ropes, but as Hogan goes for the trademark big boot, Muta stops himself, grabs the boot and whips Hogan down to the mat with a brutal looking dragon screw! As if this is not enough, Muta holds onto the leg and drops an elbow to the inside of the groin, before standing up and locking in a figure four leglock.

Hogan struggles for a while in the hold, with Muta punching away at his knee to further the pain. Hulk is eventually able to turn the move over with the crowd bellowing their support, so that the move is now affecting Muta's knee. Muta struggles valiantly though and grabs the ropes, breaking the hold. Hogan is slow to his feet, obviously hampered by the wear and tear his knee has taken, but he again rocks Muta with some big punches, but Muta reverses a whip into the corner and then stuns the audience with a picture perfect handspring elbow to the face! Another dragon screw leaves Hogan in perfect position, and Muta leaps to the top rope, dropping all his weight down on Hogan with a beautiful moonsault. The ref is down to the mat, 1, 2....NO! Hogan jumps, breaking the pinfall and seemingly, Hogan has got his second wind. Muta aims some kicks and punches at Hogan, who just shrugs them off, before blocking a right hand and pummelling Muta's face with a couple of his own. The irish whip and big boot combo is successful this time, and Hogan runs into the ropes to hit the big leg drop, only to have his leg grabbed from the outside by The Taskmaster! Hogan struggles and kicks the Taskmaster's hands away, only to walk straight into the green mist from Muta, as the ref is busy arguing with the Taskmaster! Hogan is blinded, and Muta adds insult to injury as he nails Hogan in the forehead with the metal spike that he had hidden in his tights! Hogan is down on the mat, and another spike shot finds him square in the middle of the forehead. Muta hides the spike back in his trunks and hooks the leg as the ref turns back to the action. Baffled by the green on Hogan's face, but having not seen what has occurred, the ref gets down to the mat and counts....1....2....3!

Winner: The Great Muta

The crowd are stunned as Muta has beaten Hogan, but there is more to come seemingly, as The Taskmaster and Muta begin to beat away on the fallen Hogan. The spike is back out, and spike shot after spike shot to the face and chest of Hogan from Muta show his intent to injure and maim Hogan, not just beat him.After the assualt with the spike, Sullivan and Muta slowly pull Hogan to his feet, only for Sullivan to set him up for a piledriver. With Hogan's legs in the air, Muta comes down off the top rope, spiking Hogan hard into the mat! Hogan isn't moving as EMT's, road agents and officials come down to the ring to stop the abuse. Muta and Sullivan leave the ring, Sullivan naturally happy with what has occurred, as the audience vocally abuse their actions. As they dissapear, attention turns to Hogan in the ring, and although he is cheered and chanted after by the fans, Hogan isn't leaving this arena walking, as he is stretchered out with a neckbrace in place for safety measures.

Rating: 85%

TS: An audible hush has decended upon us, Eric, and I must say that I've never seen someone do that much damage to Hogan as we just saw there.

EB: Muta is from out of this world, and with Sullivan in his ear, this man is a dangerous assassin, and he got the job done tonight.

TS: And now, the Main Event. Ric Flair, the dirtiest player in the game faces a challenge unlike no other he has met before, as he goes one on one against the huge Giant, a relative newcomer in WCW, but he has already shown how dangerous he can be.

EB: Flair has got it all to do in this match, The Giant is something else Tony.

TS: Earlier today, the championship committee also banned anyone from ringside. No Four Horseman, no Taskmaster, just one on one for the gold!

Main Event

WCW World Championship Match

Ric Flair © vs The Giant

The crowd are still a little subdued from Hogan's assault just before, and with two heels fighting it off, the crowd are a little unsure of who to throw their support behind, although the majority of it seems to go to Ric Flair. The Giant stands like a redwood in the middle of the ring, as Flair soaks in the atmosphere. They exchange a few words with each other, and Flair tries to get the jump on the Giant as he hits him with three successive chops which appear to do next to nothing to the Giant, who just stands there and laughs. The Giant asks for some more, and after these three chops merely grabs Flair by the head and heabutts him down to the canvas. Flair scurries back to the corner and to his feet and heads back to chop The Giant again. The Giant braces himself, but Flair this time stops and thumbs him in the eye, much to the pleasure of the fans, before a chop block to the back of the Giant's knee takes him down to one leg. Now, Flair stands in front and rocks the big man with several hard chops, the last one off of a running start taking the Giant down to the mat and allowing Flair to get a pinfall that The Giant powers out of at 1. Flair makes the mistake of trying to irish whip The Giant and gets a short arm clothesline for his trouble, almost taking his head off.

From here, The Giant took control, his massive frame and immense power meaning that Flair had to do all he could just to stay in the match. Clubbing blows, slams and throws allowed The Giant to methodically take apart Flair, a press slam almost getting The Giant the pinfall and the title, as did a nasty looking powerslam, Flair just about able to roll the shoulder after the 2 count. A small Flair revival after a missed shoulerblock in the corner is soon curtailed by a big boot to the face as Flair went for a clothesline after hitting the ropes, again leaving The Giant in command. With every pinfall that Flair got out of, however, it appeared that The Giant was losing steam. A rear chinlock allowed The Giant to get a breather, but Flair was somehow able to get to his feet and slip out of it, using his speed advantage to rock the big man with punches, chops and finally taking him back down to the mat with a low blow and a DDT that shook the ring. Only getting a two count, Flair was back up and attacking the legs again, two chop blocks when The Giant returned to his feet dropping him back down to the mat and leaving him vulnerable The crowd were on their feet as Flair dropped an elbow to the knee several times to further wear him down, also stomping a few times on the inside of the knee-cap, leaving The Giant howling in pain. Flair looked to have it in the bag, but the question was whether he could lock the figure four on the Giant's tree trunk legs. As Flair turned over the leg to start the process of locking it in, The Giant kicked Flair off hard, putting Flair between the top and middle turnbuckle, and most importantly, head-first into the steel post.

The Giant was up, and pulled a limp Flair out from between the turnbuckles. One big hand to the throat, Flair is up in the air and driven to the mat with a huge chokeslam. The crowd can do nothing but stand and stare as the Giant makes the cover for the 1,2,3 to become the new WCW World Champion!

Winner: The Giant, the NEW WCW World Champion!

Rating: 70%

TS: Ladies and Gentleman, we have seen history made here, as The Giant has beaten Ric Flair for the WCW World Title, unbelievable Eric!

EB: Amazing, Flair gave it his all, but that monster in the ring was too much. Who will be able to stop him, that is the question!

TS: That's it for Souled Out this year, folks....good evening, and god bless.

The camera fades out as a victorious Giant stands over the fallen body of the now ex-champion, Ric Flair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Card Rating:77%

Attendance: 12, 686

PPV Rating: 1.06

Dammit, only 4 out of 8 right? I'm usually good with predictions too :(

Nice way to start the show with an unscheduled match between Pillman and Broyles. Brian has been getting increasingly more violent with his attacks leading up to this show, and now he's finally gone one step too far. Considering the amount of chair shots Broyles took to the head, I was kinda surprised you didn't go with Pillman snapping the chair around his neck. Still, it keeps Brian looking like a psychotic son of a bitch and Jason should get a huge boost when he makes his comeback.

Chris Jericho is officially a piece of shit...and I love him for it. I was looking forward to a Jericho/Dragon heel team, but this is much better realistically. We get the makings of what could potentially be a killer feud that elevates both guys. But not only that, the match was focused on that aspect and made the Juvi/Rey win take a backseat, which always gets a thumbs up from me.

I knew Alex was going to win this match, but I thought you'd lied to me with Mr X's announcment. As soon as I saw the words "German Suplex" I cursed his victory. I hate Wright with a passion, and if you can even slightly change that with this US title run it'll be a miracle.

I wasn't surprised to see Shamrock win, as it was needed to keep his momentum going. I'm not sure on what you're going to do with Regal for the time being, as another loss to Shamroch wouldn't help him much. The fans applauding him was nice, could lead to him turning face in the future if they keep doing that.

I could keep seeing DDP cheat to beat Eddy forever, as when he finally gets his revenge it's going to be worth every single defeat. It'd be cool if you had Eddy draw from his WWE gimmick and start using DDP's constant cheating to his advantage, leading to a no DQ match to settle the score once and for all.

Glad to see that despite Savage winning, Benoit didn't have to be pinned. I guess it'd be Anderson next on his list, and at least he doesn't lose anything from jobbing to Randy. The match itself was really of secondary concern to me, behind the prospect of a Benoit/Shamrock series of matches. Much like Dragon/Jericho this is a feud that can't fail to make the two guys in it look anything but spectacular.

The tag title match disappointed me slightly, as I was really hoping to start seeing some cracks form in the Harlem Heat team. I don't know how healthy the division is at the moment, but Booker is being wasted trying to make his brother look like more than a curtain jerker.

Did I ever tell you how much I loved you? I have never been so happy to get a prediction wrong than Hogan/Muta. I don't know how long you're intending to keep Hulk around in this incarnation of WCW, but Muta just got one hell of a rub by beating that bald orange bastard. Not only that but he spiked the shit out of him, much like the savage assault by Pillman earlier in the show. He's got a hell of a lot of momentum going for him right now...I could see him going after Flair at some point unless he's quickly jobbed out to Hogan on his "miracle" comeback.

Well I wasn't expecting Giant to win the belt so early into the diary, but I'm happy he did nonetheless. With the lack of any nWo in this WCW, Giant has the chance to be the young guy to carry the company instead of being a supporting player to Hogan/Hall/Nash. It'll be interesting to see what Flair does straight after this, as being beatedn so decisively by The Giant, means he really has little reason to get a quick rematch unless you're going to go with the rematch contract clause route.

Over all it was a really well written show, even if there were a few things that I'd hoped were different. (Y)

IPB Image

Monday Nitro 29/01/96

As we fade in from the usual “Monday Nitro” logo, the cameras cut directly to a pre-taped segment with the Dungeon Of Doom. We have Kevin Sullivan in the front of the picture standing next to the Great Muta, with the huge Giant standing behind them, the WCW World Title hanging over his shoulder.

Kevin Sullivan: Two birds, one stone....one event. Souled Out was for the most part the culmination of all my plans and wishes, and was it ever a glorious sight to see what went down?

I'll be the first to admit that it didn't all go our own way, and sometimes you have to sacrifice. One Man Gang failed the Dungeon Of Doom in falling to that piece of crap Alex Wright, and I don't tolerate failure! When I turned my back on him in the ring and left, his Dungeon Of Doom membership was officially terminated! But, when you see the two people I have watching my back, you can see why I don't have to lose any sleep over that decision!

First, Hulkamania. The END of Hulkamania! Hogan, you thought you were immortal and that you could bounce back from anything and still wave the flag, flex your muscles, take your vitamins and have the little kids cheer your every move...and you were right for so long. But never, NEVER, have you met a man like The Great Muta! We set out to destroy Hulkamania, and last night you didn't walk out of the arena, you were carted out in the back of an ambulance, never to be seen again! Even if you do scrape together what little ounce of dignity and respect you have left and do turn up in WCW once more, then Muta will just have to beat you again, and again, until you learn that we aren't playing this time!

But only on a night like last night could this be eclipsed....but it was! The Giant, the most dangerous man walking this earth, won the WCW World Title from Ric Flair. All along, it was only a matter of time before he got the chance, got the shot and proved to the world that there is nothing that can stop him from going to the top and taking the crown. And with no-one being able to stop him, no-one will be able to stop the Dungeon Of Doom!

Come at us, one and all, but you'll just fall like the rest!

The camera faded out to show the arena and the pyrotechnics are large and loud as we kick off another Monday Nitro!

Tony Schiavone: Hi everybody and welcome to Monday Nitro, just a day after a momentous Souled Out pay-per-view which saw two of the three WCW titles change hands!

Eric Bischoff: And as you can see by that video, The Giant is now the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, and it begs the question, who will be able to stop him?

TS: We have yet another packed show like only WCW can offer, as Ric Flair, the man the Giant beat for the title, goes up against The Great Muta in a re-match from Nitro a few weeks ago which Flair won.

EB: Yeah, but this time, Flair's right to a re-match against The Giant is on the line. If he wins, he gets a shot at the next PPV, but if he loses, he won't be seeing the title for a long time!

TS: As well as that, we have the in-ring return to WCW of the Steiner Brothers, as they go against Harlem Heat for the WCW World Tag Team Titles!

EB: A big match on their return, and Harlem Heat had a hard fought victory over the Road Warriors last night, will they be in a good enough shape to retain their belts once again?

TS: Well, we're heading to the ring for the first match of the night, and it is another re-match from a few weeks ago, as Diamond Dallas Page steps into the ring with Chavo Guerrero Jr., a match requested by Chavo to get revenge upon DDP for his uncle Eddie.

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs Diamond Dallas Page

Unlike last time, Chavo is on his own with Eddie not at ringside. Although this allows DDP to focus more on the task at hand, he doesn't expect a rabid Chavo from the start, as Chavo pounds away at DDP before taking him to the ringside area and whipping him into the guard-rails a couple of times. Chavo seems out for blood, as he is unrelenting, following a staggering DDP around the outside of the ring and smashing his head into the ringpost, leaving DDP with a little cut above his right eye. When the match returns to the ring, DDP capitalises a Chavo error of judgement, elbow dropping Chavo as he re-entered the ring after DDP. With losing the control, Chavo begins to struggle as DDP almost seems to want to send a message, being ruthless with his strikes and slams, coming closest to a pin with a samoan drop reversal to a crucifix attempt from Chavo. Chavo mounts one last offensive spurt, but it is in vain, as DDP telegraphs a back body drop attempt off of an Irish whip, kicks a ducking Chavo in the chest before dropping him with a Diamond Cutter for the 1,2,3.

Winner: Diamond Dallas Page

Page continues to punch and stomp away at the prone body of Chavo until the expected happens, and Eddie Guerrero hits the ring to a huge pop from the crowd. They begin to brawl back and forth before Eddie's fire is quelled by an attack from behind from the monstrously muscular Scott Norton! Norton drops Eddie with a huge powerbomb, leaving both Guerreros down on the mat before Norton and DDP shake hands! Norton and DDP soak up the abuse of the crowd for a small while, before heading backstage.

TS: It looks like Page may have got himself someone to watch his back, and it doesn't get much better or bigger than Norton, that guy is a monster!

EB: You can't detract from the good win for Diamond Dallas Page there either though, Chavo is no slouch.

TS: No, indeed you can't...but Norton and Page...that's a dangerous team right there!

The camera pans up to show a WCW representative in the ring with a microphone.

Rep: With WCW always striving to offer the biggest and the best that wrestling has to offer, WCW officials have decided to officially commission a new WCW title belt! With some of the best high flying athletes in the world at this very moment, we are very pleased to announce that from this day forth, the WCW Crusierweight Title has been born!

As you can imagine though, we can't just give the belt to anyone, as there are many a viable contender to the belt in the backstage. So, we have decided that from now up until Superbrawl, the next WCW PPV, an eight-man tournament will be held in matches on Monday Nitro! And the action starts tonight. In the next two matches, you shall see the first four competitors vie for a place in the semi-finals, with the next two first round matches occurring next week. Next, in the ring we will see Chris Jericho go one on one against Prince Iaukea, with the second match in the tournament showcasing Devon Storm vs Rey Mysterio Jr! The next four competitors will be announced next week.

The crowd pop big at the mention of the title, and at the mention of Rey Mysterio's name also.

Rating: 76%

TS: A huge announcement there, a WCW Crusierweight title...what a way to showcase some of the brightest talents in wrestling today! And Prince Iaukea is heading down to the ring already, so I guess it begins!

WCW Crusierweight Title Tournament: First Round

Chris Jericho vs Prince Iaukea

The crowd are suitably anti-Jericho, especially after his actions at Souled Out, and he seems to be enjoying the boos as much as anything. Iaukea tries to force the match from the get go, but it is obvious that he is out of Jericho's league, although Jericho does need to skirt the rules a little to keep the young Prince under control, using a low blow and thumb to the eyes when threatened with a comeback. Jericho spends the match going after Iaukea's back with some variation backbreakers and a camel clutch, and it is little surprise when Iaukea submits to the Liontamer.

Winner: Chris Jericho

Seemingly not content with just the victory and to rile the crowd up further, Jericho holds onto the move well after Iaukea has submitted, only letting go when the ref threatens a DQ. Jericho aims a few well placed kicks to the head before he leaves with a look of disdain on his face.

Rating: 59%

TS: Chris Jericho through in the tournament already, but there was no need for that show of disrespect at the end there, he had the victory.

EB: Jericho has an attitude on him, you can easily see that, but he backs it up in the ring and could go on and win this tournament easily.

Rey Mysterio Jr vs Devon Storm

The crowd are loud for this match, with fan favourite Rey Mysterio going out to dazzle the spectators. Both men trade dives early on, a plancha by Storm matched a minute later with an tope from Rey, leaving both men down outside the ring. When back in the ring, Storm attempted to use his strength to his advantage, but he couldn't handle the speed and ability of Rey, as Rey slipped out of several of Storm's attempted moves before taking him down with huracanranas, spinning wheel kicks and a nice springboard crossbody that almost picked up a three count. Storm did catch Rey at one point and got a couple of nearfalls off of a reverse DDT and then a powerslam off of an Irish whip, but Rey was too quick in the end, and after avoiding a charge into the corner, a huracanrana jumping off the top rope from Rey to Storm was good enough for the pinfall and for Rey to progress.

Winner: Rey Mysterio Jr.

Rating: 63%

TS: Eric, you talk about Jericho going far in the tournament, but Rey Mysterio also looks in form, and could push him all the way.

EB: Yeah, Tony, Rey is one of the most exhilarating men I've seen in the ring, and he has all the tools to lead to the gold.

The camera fades away from the ring to show Mean Gene backstage with a pissed off looking Nature Boy Ric Flair.

Mean Gene: Flair, if you don't mind me asking, but how do you feel after your loss to The Giant last night?

Ric Flair: How do you think I feel Gene? I had my WCW title belt...MY WCW title belt...taken away from me. The Giant may have beaten me fair and square, but we all know who the real wrestling champion is in this locker room Gene, and that's me...WHOOOO! I'm still the same old lear-jet flying, caviar eating son of a gun I've always been, I've still got all the ladies flocking around me wanting a piece, all I don't have....well, is the gold, Gene...but it's only a matter of time.

MG: Speaking of which, you have a match against The Great Muta tonight to decide if you get the re-match with the Giant.

RF: Indeed I do, Gene, and as you well know, I beat The Great Muta little more than a couple of weeks ago on this very show. Kevin Sullivan may believe that he truly has this dangerous assassin under his tutelage, but he doesn't have the dirtiest player in the game, and I'm going to show once again why I am the best wrestler walking the earth today! Muta, you are just someone who is in the way of my ultimate destiny at the moment, and when I beat you tonight, make you tap to the figure four, I'll be directly in line to chop down the Giant in at Superbrawl, and once again take my rightful place as the WCW World Champion! Now, if you don't mind, I'm going off to prepare for my match, and the next time you'll talk to me will be when I am the number one contender, WHOOOO!

Rating: 97%

TS: Flair seems awfully confident tonight, but you gotta imagine that losing the belt last night has to be weighing heavily on his mind right now.

EB: Well, we'll see tonight as The Great Muta is a dangerous, dangerous man, and Flair will need all his ability to get that title shot.

TS: Big match up next though, Eric, as we see the in-ring return of the Steiner Brothers as they take on Harlem Heat in a match for the tag team titles!

Harlem Heat © vs The Steiner Brothers

The Steiner Brothers are back in WCW, and the crowd in attendance love it, giving them a standing ovation upon their entrance. Harlem Heat look a little worse for wear after their big match with the Road Warriors last night, and The Steiners are able to use this to their advantage, with Rick and then Scott working over Stevie Ray in the middle of the ring, as Booker T can do nothing except watch, and when he finally gets the tag from Ray, T is subjected to more of the same, with Rick dropping him with a couple of Steinerlines and Scott following that up with a nice belly to belly suplex. However, Stevie Ray low-bridges the ropes as Scott hits them, putting the match into Harlem Heats hands, as Ray drives him into the ring back first before rolling him in for Booker to continue the attack. Scott is in trouble from the fall out of the ring, and nearfalls are gained off of a high leg lariat from Booker T and a running powerslam from Ray, the latter having to be broken up by Rick. Scott almost gets the tag several times, but Heat use classic heel tactics to stop them, including distracting the referee when Scott did finally get the tag, leaving the ref to send Rick back to the apron. Finally, after a mid-ring collision between Scott and Ray, Scott is finally able to make the tag, and Rick is in like a house on fire, dropping both members of Harlem Heat with clotheslines, slams and then bulldogs for good measure. With the match turning into a pier six brawl, the four men go to ringside where Stevie Ray throws Scott headfirst into the guardrails, leaving him down and out. Booker T grabs Rick from behind, but a Stevie Ray thrust kick catches Booker T up under the chin as Rick ducked. With Rick and Booker the legal men, and Rick back in the ring and Booker seemingly out cold on the floor, the ref finally reaches the 10 count, and The Steiners have won by count-out.

Winner: The Steiners by count-out, Harlem Heat still WCW Tag Team Champions

The Steiners don't seem happy with not winning the belts tonight, but they celebrate anyway, the crowd happy with their return to WCW. With the Steiners gone, Booker T slowly gets back to his feet and exchanges a few harsh verbals with Stevie Ray, before they leave the ringside area together, an air of tension surrounding them.

TS: You could argue that Harlem Heat got lucky there, because they did, but I don't think Booker T would see it that way at the moment.

EB: Yeah, Stevie Ray looks as if he has a lot of apologising to do, the tag champs are not happy with each other thats for sure.

TS: We're getting word from the back about an incident occurring just as that match ended, an incident involving Ken Shamrock, we're rolling the footage now.

The taped video begins to run on screen, as Ken Shamrock stands there with Mean Gene, as if waiting to have an interview once the tag team title match is finished. The TV title is around Shamrock's waist, as a few small pleasantries are exchanged between the two men. The scene quickly turns ugly though, as Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit jump Shamrock from behind, Anderson with a chair in hand. They begin to batter away on the downed Shamrock with chairshots and clubbing blows from Benoit, until Randy Savage hits the scene, seemingly returning the favour from the night before when Shamrock saved him. Savage also has a chair in hand, and cracks Benoit across the back, and then Anderson over the head, leaving them both down with Shamrock. Savage grabs Shamrock by the hand and pulls him to his feet, before dragging him, in a semi-concious state from the assault, away from the area.

TS: Randy Savage there helping Shamrock from the savage attack from both Anderson and Benoit. Those four don't seem to be getting along recently, and it just exploded backstage!

EB: Shamrock was lucky that Savage was about to help him, because Anderson and Benoit looked like they were prepared to do some serious damage just then.

TS: Main Event time Eric, and will Ric Flair be able to beat The Great Muta and earn his rematch against The Giant?

Main Event

Ric Flair vs The Great Muta

Ric Flair doesn't look his usual self, as a steely eyed determination is evident on his face. This was also evident in the way he set about the match, as he rocked Muta in the early going with chops and strikes, before going straight for the knee with chop blocks and elbow drops to the inside of the kneecrap. He seemed not only looking to set-up for the Figure Four, but also to counteract Muta's increased speed and mobility. This seemed to work early on, as Flair used a leglock, then an STF to keep Muta grounded, but Muta was able to break the STF and was quick to his feet, battering away at Flair's side and chest with a fluury of kicks that had Flair falling back into the corner. Throat thrusts and chops kept Flair down in the corner, before a running knee put Flair down for a two count. With Muta on attack, a couple of what appeared to be asian business men stood at the top of the rampway, before leaving after a little over a minute, during which time Muta had got a two count from snap elbowdrop. Two dragon screws later, and Flair was locked in his own finishing move, as Muta also went for the knees. Flair looked in pain, but was slowly able to crawl and get to the ropes, forcing Muta to break the hold, something only achieved after a referee's four count. Seemingly looking to head for the finish, Muta whipped Flair into the corner and went for the handspring elbow, only for Flair to pull the referee in the way of him and the move, the unconcious referee slumping to the mat. Flair hit a low blow on Muta, and after a DDT, headed to ringside to grab a chair. Chair in hand, Flair was back in the ring to nail Muta, only to have the chair grabbed away from him by the huge mitts of the Giant, who had made his way down to the ring after the referee bump. Flair tried to beg off, but The Giant wasn't taken in by it, and drilled Flair with a chair shot! Concievably, Anderson and Benoit are out from their confrontation with Savage and Shamrock, though Pillman is conspicuous by his absense, leaving no-one from the Horseman to help Flair as The Giant plants him into the mat with a chokeslam. Muta is quick to the top, and the referee recovers just in time to see Muta head to the top and land his perfect moonsault. Slow as the ref is to count, the three count is inevitable.

The Giant is quick to get into the ring once the three count occurs and picks Flair up off of the mat with one hand, before drilling him with a huge chokeslam, before signalling for the microphone.

The Giant: And back to the bottom of the ladder you go, Ric! You didn't have what it takes to beat me, and you didn't have what it takes to beat Muta, so from now on, you can get out of my way and stay out of my face!

As for Superbrawl....I already know who I am going to face. You see, I'm not going to be like Flair here, and duck challenges left, right and center, I'm just going to accept them and crush all comers one by one! At Superbrawl, I will face Sting (a huge pop from the crowd as Sting's name is mentioned)....and Lex Luger (another big pop from the crowd). They both wanted a shot little under a month ago, and I'm willing to give it to them. But, this isn't going to be a triple threat match....no, I'm going to face Sting and Lex Luger in a handicap match! If....and this is a big if.....one of them pins me, they will be the one who wins the title!

From the looks of it, I'm giving the fans what they want.....but don't think this will continue, as I destroy the dreams of both Sting and Luger in one fell swoop! Superbrawl, I will once again reign supreme!

The Giant drops the microphone as the crowd take in his announcement, before roaring and signalling for the chokeslam with his right hand. The camera slowly fades out for another Nitro with The Giant and The Great Muta standing in the ring with Flair left laying.

------------------------

Card Rating: 75%

TV Rating: 5.05

Edited by liamwannabe

Ok...let me get this off my chest first...MUUUUUUUUUTA! :wub:

So let's see:

Nice opening promo from Sullivan to start the show. Poor OMG gets kicked to the wayside, but then again that's what he gets for losing to Alex fucking Wright. I wish I could believe him when he said Muta will continue to beat Hogan, but this is Hulk we're talking about...the mega comeback isn't too far off. I hope he's right abut Giant too, as he's one of the guys you have that can be really helpful going into the late 90's.

I'm still loving DDP's asshole tactics towards Eddie. Chavo was made an example out of, which is great a great way for this storyline to progress. Norton with DDP is an interesting pairing, maybe Ice Train can join up with Eddie to even the odds? One thing I could see happening after this match is Chavo turning on Eddie...I wouldn't put it past DDP to poison Chavo against him.

I was wondering just where the CW title was, and now I know. Tournaments are always fun, and what's the chances of a Jericho/Dragon final? Pretty good as it stands, with Jericho rightfully going over Pince "why do I have a job" Iukea. Rey going over Devon I didn't like thanks to my hatred for Rey, but I know it's the right thing to do so I can live with it.

Nice Flair promo, I kinda thought that judging from that he'd beat Muta and get another crack at Giant.

The count out was a good way of giving the Steiners the win without taking the belts off Harlem Heat. Hopefully with them having a legitimate reason behind another shot, we'll see them take the straps. I was surprised by the lack of any Road Warriors, hopefully they're around next week to try and get another shot for themselves...a three way stiff fest would kick ass.

The prospect of Shamrock/Benoit still has me anxious, damn you for prolonging the agony. The impending tag match coul dbe good, if only for the black hole of suck known as Savage. Hopefully Arn breaks his back with a spinebuster <_<

Finally we get to Muta/Flair, and once again you make me happy to be wrong. Muta's stock just shot up having beaten Hogan and now Flair in two consecutive nights. The tainted victory is good too, as it protects Ric's chances at another title shot. Pillman not being around...very intriguing, could he be on his way out of the Horsemen and into the Dungeon? He'd sure make a fine replacment to OMG, and a perfect opponent for Wright to bring the US title back to Sullivan's crew. It's nice to see Giant being pushed like he is, and a handicap title match against Sting and Luger will only serve to bloster this unstoppable image...but then you knew that already seeing as you booked it :P

Solid follow up to Souled Out, and I'm looking forward to next week's Nitro (Y)

*edit*

Oh yeah, and clearly: Me > Baby Hewey :shifty:

Edited by Xero Gravity

The Dungeon of Doom being taken semi-seriously, the Cruiserweight Title being brought into life, Muta, Shamrock, Savage, Devon Storm, Jericho being the dick heel we know and love to hate and the DDP/Eddie relationship.

The list above is everything I love about this diary. Considering it's convinced me to dig out some of my old tapes from the pile in my garage - an honour I bestow on only a few diaries - more people should read this damn thing.

Now LIVE~! and Unedited, it's my Nitro review. :shifty:

I’ve caught up with the entire diary tonight. I’ve just start reviewing from after the pay per view… The booking has been solid. You’ve mostly got down everyone to a tee as well as the general atmosphere of World Championship Wrestling at the time. The main event scene looks good, hopefully Luger and Sting will get involved now… I love DDP’s character at the moment. And Steven Regal needs a belt right now. One main problem of this diary is that every guy who you apparently mark for has been given a push or has debuted with a push way before their time in my opinion. Not to mention how Hogan wouldn’t job to Muta in such close proximity to his highly controversial and complicated loss he got at Halloween Havoc just several months ago. :P

But onto Nitro… The DOD is a bit of an issue at the moment. They’re being built as strong again, but it’s only a tag team now with no stupid cartoony gimmicks. I’m not being sarcastic when I say it’s a shame but there you go. After Muta and Giant’s wins last night, they do have huge credibility so I can see why you did what you did.

Hahaha! This is great. Diamond Dallas Page has a bodyguard to go against the Guerrero’s from the looks of it. If I had to pick between Scott Norton and some douchebag called Maxx Muscle, I’d hire Norton any day of the week. It gives Norton that big push after Fire and Ice are gone. I do sense this was booked by you due to Norton certain connection with a country beginning with J?

The representative’s job could be done much better by Eric Bischoff in his classic cheap plug, annoying commentator role. And instead of announcing the matches, he’d list the participants randomly trying to make it seem more impressive. This is only six months ahead of its time from real life so a Cruiserweight belt is a good decision. Jericho and Rey predictably win.

You’re gradually getting how to execute Ric Flair’s promos better. It is a tough business to write his stuff, I know from personal experience. Just keep going at it and you’ll be fine.

Yeah! Beat Ken Shamrock to a pulp! I don’t really like the guy that much, although the pairing of him and Savage should make for great watching when the inevitable tag match is booked for Nitro next week.

Mayhem in the main event. It was a bit predictable that Ric Flair was going to lose, and the line about Pillman makes me think Flair will somehow wind up feuding with him. And the handicap match idea for Superbrawl is fantastic. Nobody can defeat The Giant one on one, so how about two on one? And how would Sting and Luger cooperate – because surely the one who makes the pinfall is a champion.

Overall there’s some good stuff here. You’re taking it in your own little direction without being too stupid or unrealistic. I like new people being pushed, I just hope for the case of guys like Jason Broyles and the Suicide Blonds; it stays on Saturday Night until they build some credibility. Jericho can appear on Nitro just fine though for obvious reasons. :P

This one is definitely in my reading list when you post some more shows.

Oh and Xero, and Prince Iaukea has a job because his dad is Curtis Iaukea, aka: The Master – so there!

IPB Image

WCW Saturday Night 03/02/96

As the camera fades in to begin the first WCW Saturday Night of February, we are shown what transpired in the main event on Monday Nitro last week.

Chair in hand, Flair was back in the ring to nail Muta, only to have the chair grabbed away from him by the huge mitts of the Giant, who had made his way down to the ring after the referee bump. Flair tried to beg off, but The Giant wasn't taken in by it, and drilled Flair with a chair shot! Concievably, Anderson and Benoit are out from their confrontation with Savage and Shamrock, though Pillman is conspicuous by his absense, leaving no-one from the Horseman to help Flair as The Giant plants him into the mat with a chokeslam. Muta is quick to the top, and the referee recovers just in time to see Muta head to the top and land his perfect moonsault. Slow as the ref is to count, the three count is inevitable.

The Giant is quick to get into the ring once the three count occurs and picks Flair up off of the mat with one hand, before drilling him with a huge chokeslam, before signalling for the microphone.

The Giant: And back to the bottom of the ladder you go, Ric! You didn't have what it takes to beat me, and you didn't have what it takes to beat Muta, so from now on, you can get out of my way and stay out of my face!

As for Superbrawl....I already know who I am going to face. You see, I'm not going to be like Flair here, and duck challenges left, right and center, I'm just going to accept them and crush all comers one by one! At Superbrawl, I will face Sting (a huge pop from the crowd as Sting's name is mentioned)....and Lex Luger (another big pop from the crowd). They both wanted a shot little under a month ago, and I'm willing to give it to them. But, this isn't going to be a triple threat match....no, I'm going to face Sting and Lex Luger in a handicap match! If....and this is a big if.....one of them pins me, they will be the one who wins the title!

Psychosis vs Blitzkrieg

In the first match of the night, we get to see two of the young high flying talents as Psychosis and a debuting Blitzkrieg took the to the skies to give the fans an exhilarating bout. Psychosis had the distinct size and experience advantage, but he had to reel in Blitzkrieg several times, struggling to cope with the youngsters exuberance and speed, the move of the match occurring when Blitzkrieg nailed Psychosis with a twisting pescada to the floor, much to the delight of the fans. Blitzkrieg tried to capitalise on this advantage in the ring, but a huracanrana attempt was reversed into a powerbomb, giving Psychosis enough time to head to the top and hit his top rope legdrop to get the 1,2,3.

Winner: Psychosis

Psychosis raised his arms in celebration as the crowd applauded both wrestlers efforts, and as Blitzkrieg got to his feet, Psychosis grabbed his arm and raised it as well, celebrating what was a good debut from the youngster.

Rating: 58%

The camera fades in to show Mean Gene backstage outside Brian Pillman's locker room, trying to grab an interview with him. Several knocks on the door receive no response, and Gene is just about to move away from the door when Pillman opens the door and steps out. However, instead of giving Gene his interview, he grabs the microphone and declares himself untouchable and a man in control of his own destiny week in, week out. Shoving the microphone back into Gene's hand, Pillman stares down the camera, and then quickly leaves, heading back into his locker-room and slamming the door shut, as Gene looks on with a bemused look on his face.

Alex Wright vs Chris Kanyon

This was our first look at the new WCW US champion, as Alex Wright went one on one against Chris Kanyon in a non-title match. Pre-match, Alex Wright spent a lot of time high fiving the crowd at ringside, and generally showing his appreciation for the fans, an idea that backfired somewhat when Kanyon jumped him on the outside and smashed him into the ringsteps to get the match started! From that, Wright was constantly on the backfoot, and Kanyon's array of innovative manoeuvres didn't help, as he got a close two count off of a rack-into-pancake move, followed by another near fall off of a fireman's carry-into-neckbreaker, both moves getting woo's from the audience, impressed by what they were seeing. However, Kanyon lost the initiative on a beautiful reversal as Wright flipped out of an attempted sitout Dominator, landing on his feet and catching Kanyon with a thrust kick to the chin, dropping him down to the mat. A hangman's neckbreaker almost got Wright the victory, but a release german suplex was enough to get the pinfall, though Wright inexplicably had his foot on the bottom rope during the pinfall.

Winner: Alex Wright

Wright grabbed his belt from ringside and headed back down the rampway, slapping the few hands offered to him, though noticeably fewer than when he came down for his match.

Rating: 65%

Jerry Lynn vs Scotty Riggs

Jerry Lynn's renaissance without the mask continued this week on Saturday Night, as he picked up a pretty big victory over former WCW World Tag Team Champion, Scotty Riggs. Scotty tried to play to the crowd early on, the female fans seemingly paying more attention to his preening than anyone, a recurring theme that cost him a lot against an intensely focused Lynn. Riggs took the advantage several times in the match, but seemed to intent on getting a reaction from the crowd, leading Lynn to reverse his moves, or just simply get up and rush him. Eventually, a flying forearm put Lynn down to the mat, but he went for his sharpshooter finisher way too early, as Lynn kicked him back hard into the turnbuckles. As Riggs staggered out, Lynn grabbed Riggs and rolled him up into a tight small package for the 3 count!

Releasing the package, Lynn wasn't finished with what he wanted to achieve and began to put the boots to Riggs, before picking him up and dropping him head first with a vicious piledriver. Grabbing Riggs up by the hair, Lynn then pitches Riggs to the outside, before heading back up the rampway, the boos of the crowd ringing in his ears.

The cameras then faded to show what happened on Nitro during the Steiners vs Harlem Heat WCW Tag Team Title match.

Finally, after a mid-ring collision between Scott and Ray, Scott is finally able to make the tag, and Rick is in like a house on fire, dropping both members of Harlem Heat with clotheslines, slams and then bulldogs for good measure. With the match turning into a pier six brawl, the four men go to ringside where Stevie Ray throws Scott headfirst into the guardrails, leaving him down and out. Booker T grabs Rick from behind, but a Stevie Ray thrust kick catches Booker T up under the chin as Rick ducked. With Rick and Booker the legal men, and Rick back in the ring and Booker seemingly out cold on the floor, the ref finally reaches the 10 count, and The Steiners have won by count-out.

Winner: The Steiners by count-out, Harlem Heat still WCW Tag Team Champions

The Steiners don't seem happy with not winning the belts tonight, but they celebrate anyway, the crowd happy with their return to WCW. With the Steiners gone, Booker T slowly gets back to his feet and exchanges a few harsh verbals with Stevie Ray, before they leave the ringside area together, an air of tension surrounding them.

With that shown, we were back in the ring for the fourth and penultimate match of the night.

Adam Copeland (w/Christian Cage) vs Ice Train

Having picked up a nice winning streak in the tag division, Adam Copeland, seconded by his partner tonight, went one on one with the big Ice Train. Train had been thrown off a little bit these past weeks by his partner Scott Norton turning on him, but little of this was obvious as he took it to the younger and inexperienced Copeland, crushing him with powerful blows and getting a near fall early on from a beautiful powerslam, Copeland just being able to roll his shoulder. It is all Copeland can do to hit and move, and just try and avoid the power onslaught. Train got another near fall with a brutal looking back suplex, landing Copeland square on his back and driving the air out of him, but when Train was looking to finish it off with the Train Wreck, Copeland moved and hit a drop toe hold, Train going face first into the middle buckle. This was what Copeland needed, as a groggy Train was fair game for Copeland's speedier offence, a dropkick, a spinning wheel kick and a top rope clothesline taking it to the big man. Copeland went for his tiger bomb, but Train blocked it with ease due to his size. Copeland, instead of lifting him up, dropped down to his knees, driving Train head first down into the mat! Copeland turned Train over, and 3 seconds later had the victory.

Winner: Adam Copeland

Christian Cage is in the ring now with Copeland as they celebrate over a fallen Ice Train. The crowd give them a reasonable reception.

Rating: 56%

We head back to last weeks Nitro for our last flashback of the night, as we see what happened when Mean Gene tried to grab an interview with Ken Shamrock.

The taped video begins to run on screen, as Ken Shamrock stands there with Mean Gene, as if waiting to have an interview once the tag team title match is finished. The TV title is around Shamrock's waist, as a few small pleasantries are exchanged between the two men. The scene quickly turns ugly though, as Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit jump Shamrock from behind, Anderson with a chair in hand. They begin to batter away on the downed Shamrock with chairshots and clubbing blows from Benoit, until Randy Savage hits the scene, seemingly returning the favour from the night before when Shamrock saved him. Savage also has a chair in hand, and cracks Benoit across the back, and then Anderson over the head, leaving them both down with Shamrock. Savage grabs Shamrock by the hand and pulls him to his feet, before dragging him, in a semi-concious state from the assault, away from the area.

The camera fades back to the ring for our Main Event of the night.

Brian Pillman vs Konnan

The crowd are seriously on Pillman's back from the off, many reacting to Pillman's heinous assault of Jason Broyles at the Souled Out PPV, but this doesn't seem to both Pillman, who spends most of the first part of the match leaving the ring to trade verbal barbs with the crowd, much to the chargrin of Konnan. Konnan finally has enough and heads to ringside to start the match, only for Pillman to whip him hard into the guardrail, before slamming him onto the announcers booth! Taking the match finally into the ring, Pillman is a rabid animal, gouging, biting and raking away at Konnan at points in the match, the referee constantly surveying the action, with Pillman always stopping his illegal activities at the 4 count. Much to the pleasure of the crowd, a ducked Pillman clothesline allowed Konnan to take advantage as he hit a beautiful rolling lariat, almost taking Pillman's head off. A DDT and a fisherman suplex from Konnan almost got the three count and it appeared as if Pillman was on the ropes, but as Konnan went for the Tequila Sunrise, Pillman stopped him in his tracks with a thumb to the eye, before grabbing Konnan and launching him into the ring post shoulder first between the top and middle turnbuckle! A divorce court armbreaker and a fujiwara armbar leaves Konnan no choice but to submit!

Winner: Brian Pillman

Pillman doesn't look finished for the night, as he continues to wrench back on the fujiwara armbar, even after Konnan had long since submitted. The ref is finally able to force Pillman to let go of the move, but he is then thrown to the outside, allowing Pillman to continue his assault. Heading to ringside, Pillman grabs a chair, and proceeds to hit Konnan twice in the shoulder with it, before folding the chair around the arm he has been working on. But as Pillman heads to the middle rope to inflict some serious damage, the crowd go crazy as Dean Malenko hits the ring, and in one swoop launches a dropkick right to the chest of Pillman, knocking him backwards, over the top rope and to the floor! Pillman shakes this off, and looks as if he is about to get back in the ring, but he decides against it, heading back up the rampway as Malenko grabs the microphone. Malenko tells Pillman that he may think he is untouchable, and that he can do anything, but there is only so much people can stand back and watch without doing something. The attack on Konnan was just the icing on the cake, but the fact that Pillman had left Jason Broyles on a stretches after their "match" at the PPV was, in Malenko's eyes, unforgiveable. Malenko then told Pillman that he wanted to see what kinda balls he had when he was face to face with a man of experience, a man who would stretch him to the very limit and a man that wasn't going to be pushed around. The camera slowly faded out on tonights show as Pillman stared back at Malenko with a slight look of apprehension on his face.

Rating: 66%

--------------------------

Card Rating: 64%

TV Rating: 2.84

Edited by liamwannabe

Been catching up with this, Souled Out was a good event, Glad to see The Giant winning the WCW title, And Alex Wright as the US Champion is the best thing anyone with a WCW diary has done. From reading SN, Looks like Wright might be headed for a heel turn? Well, As long as you don't turn him into Berlyn, I'll be happy. I was shocked to see Muta get such a big push, Especially with a win over Hogan. Though, When Hogan returns, I sense him squashing Muta. Savage/Shamrock versus Horsemen could be cool, Especially if it leads to Shamrock versus Benoit. The Giant is already looking like a bad ass champion, And the handicap match should be sweet. Keep up the good work. (Y)

IPB Image

Monday Nitro 05/02/96

As the cameras fade in for another episode of Monday Nitro, we head straight to the ring as Blitzkrieg and Devon Storm stand in one corner, waiting for their opponent....

The Giant (w/The Taskmaster) vs Blitzkrieg and Devon Storm

The Giant receives thunderous boos from the crowd in attendance as he comes down to the ring for this handicap match, seemingly to show his ability to beat two opponents at once with his handicap match at Superbrawl in two weeks time. The match goes as expected, with both Storm and Blitzkrieg trying to use their pace to take down the big man, with minimal success as The Giant swats off a lot of their attacks before taking control, press slamming Storm to the ringside and dumping Blitzkrieg on top of him with another press slam. With The Giant in total control, he picks both men up when they re-enter the ring and drops them down with a chokeslam for the 1,2,3.

Winner: The Giant

The Giant stands in the ring over his fallen foes looking menacingly at the crowd, before raising his thumb to his throat and slowly dragging it across his neck. From the mat, The Giant lifts both men up again, and drops them back down with another chokeslam, shaking the ring beneath his feet. The crowd continue to show their disapproval as The Giant and The Taskmaster leave the ring, their point seemingly proven.

Rating: 68%

Tony Schiavone: What a way to kick off Nitro, wrestling fans, as we see the truly destructive nature of the seven foot tall Giant!

Eric Bischoff: No offence to them though, but Storm and Blitzkrieg aren't exactly Sting and Lex Luger, are they?

TS: No, but still, a pretty impressive outing for the Giant showing that he can handle the task he has placed ahead of himself.

EB: We have some huge matches on the show tonight, as Harlem Heat defend their title in a re-match from Souled Out against The Road Warriors, and the Heat haven't been getting on like a house on fire recently, pardon the pun.

TS: We also have Ken Shamrock defending his TV title against Arn Anderson, as their paths continue to cross, and you can imagine that Chris Benoit and Randy Savage could be about also.

EB: And in the Main Event, we see the two other Dungeon of Doom members, The Taskmaster and The Great Muta go against Sting and Luger!

The cameras fade out to show a pre-taped segment from a few hours before the show, as Eddie Guerrero was shown walking into the arena. As he gets to the front and is about to enter, a security guard cuts him off.

Security: Mr Guerrero, I'm sorry but you are banned from attending Nitro tonight.

Eddie Guerrero: What are you talking about, esé? I am here to watch my little Chavito go against Scott Norton, I'm not here to cause any problems.

S: As I said, I'm sorry, but the same message was passed on to Diamond Dallas Page as well. The powers that be in WCW just wanted Scott Norton and Chavo Guerrero Jr to be one-on-one, no interference, no shenanigans from either of you. However, they also told me to let you know that at Superbrawl, you and Chavo Guerrero Jr will go against Diamond Dallas Page and Scott Norton in tag team competition.

EG: Hey, as long as I get my hands on that little piece of trash DDP sometime soon, that's fine by me! No worries esé, I'll head into town and check out the clubs, live la vida loca, ay?

Eddie Guerrero slaps the hand of the security guard as a sign of respect and then turns around, heading off to whence he came from.

Rating: 75%

TS: A big match for Superbrawl announced there, and we'll also be seeing that Chavo Guerro Jr vs Scott Norton match later on in the broadcast! Chavo has a mountain to climb, but he has a big heart and could pull off the upset.

EB: Next in the ring, we have the next two first round matches in the Crusierweight Title tournament in what promises to be some excellent action.

TS: Indeed it should. Chris Jericho and Rey Mysterio have already made it through to the Semis, so now we shall see who will join them.

Juventud Guerrera vs Ultimo Dragon

With the luck of the draw playing into this tournament, we end up with two potential finalists clashing in the first round, yet we are again showcased high quality crusierweight wrestling from the both of them, both knowing that if they win this match, they may not face a better wrestler in the tournament. The fans are slightly more behind Guerrera, but Ultimo gets his fair share of fan support, especially when he is the first one to take to the air, launching himself at a ringside Guerrera with first a baseball slide, and then a plancha, knocking Guerrera back hard into the guardrail. This was the beginning of the focus for Dragon, as he went to work on Guerrera's back and neck, wearing him down for the Dragon Sleeper. At one point, Dragon nails a backbreaker, and then holds Guerrera over his knee, pushing down on the chin and knee to bend the back, almost causing a submission from Guerrera, who is just able to wriggle out of the move. Ultimo makes a mistake by taking his time as he headed to the top rope, allowing Juvi to meet him up there and dump him off with a top rope superplex! Juvi begins to build his own momentum, almost grabbing victory with a tornado DDT, dumping Dragon hard on his head, but just as it seems Juvi may be onto the win, Dragon is able to slip out the back of an attempted Juvi Driver straight into a Dragon Sleeper, wrenching back on the head. Juvi struggles valiantly, but has no choice but to submit.

Winner: Ultimo Dragon

The crowd give both men a rousing round of applause, and this time when Juvi offers him a handshake, Dragon accepts it.

Jerry Lynn vs La Parka

This is the first time we see La Park in a WCW ring, and he seems content to play to the crowd and dance about at the start, earning him some cheers and some fans in the process. Lynn isn't afforded this more affable nature though, as Parka is quick to take the initiative, Lynn seemingly under-estimating the hooded foe. Lynn heads to the floor to recuperate, only to get hit with a flying tope from the big man! Lynn however manages to get control with a low blow at ringside, followed by a violent whip into the guard rails. Back in the ring, Lynn slowly begins to dissect Parka, working on the legs and kness with a couple of leglock variations, and some plain old kicks and knees to the joint. Lynn seems to be in control, but his cocky nature almost costs him, as jawing with the fans allows La Parka to get back to his feet, and he drops Lynn with a drop-kick and then a fisherman suplex for a near fall. However, Lynn goes to the eyes when the referee isn't looking, and a boot to the gut and a fierce piledriver are enough to give Lynn the victory and allow him to advance.

Lynn pulls his arm away from the referee who tries to raise it in victory, picks up La Parka and dumps him to the outside. The crowd are vocal in their disdain for Lynn as he stands on two of the turnbuckles before heading back up the rampway.

Rating: 68%

TS: And there we have it, the two other semi-finalists in the Crusierweight tournament are Jerry Lynn and Ultimo Dragon. Next week, this means we shall see Jerry Lynn go against Ultimo Dragon, and what could be a classic in Chris Jericho vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

EB: And the winners go on to Superbrawl to fight for the main prize!

The camera fades to the backstage area, as we see a corridor down which there are a few locker rooms, all with their doors shut. The camera slowly moves down the corridor, until the silence is broken by an audible clang of metal against something coming from the door that the camera has just panned into. This sound is repeated a couple of times, before it is replaced by what sounds like a scuffle of some sort, although the sound is muffled somewhat by the door. Eventually, the sound stops, and the door is opened slowly. As the door opens, Brian Pillman pokes his head out to look around and see if anyone is around, before making his move, getting out of the room and hightailing it away from the scene. With the door open, the camera moves in and around it, to see a bloodied Dean Malenko laying on the floor, with a bent and broken chair beside him on the floor.

Rating: 61%

TS: Pillman is a sicko, a mandman!

EB: Yet again Pillman has seemingly snapped and did whatever he wanted to, which in this case was to bash in the skull of Dean Malenko!

TS: You can only imagine what will happen when Malenko can get his hands on Pillman, and it'll happen down the road.

Chavo Guerrero Jr vs Scott Norton

With both Eddie Guerrero and Diamond Dallas Page banned from the building, Chavo Guerrero faced the monster task of trying to take down Scott Norton, and the evidence of the magnitude of this task was clear on Chavo's face and even further evident after Norton had charged Chavo with a rugby tackle early on, taking him to the ground and pummelling away on him. Chavo tried to make his speed count, and did begin to rock the big guy with dropkicks, a flying forearm and finally taking the big man off his feet with a dropkick off the second turnbuckle, but this only got him a one count, and seemed to get the big man angry. Chavo went for a cross-body, was caught by Norton and dropped hard with a powerslam. This was the beginning of the end, as Norton crushed Chavo with a huge lariat, a Canadian backbreaker and finally a powerbomb to give him 3 count, Chavo with no chance of kicking out.

Scott Norton wasn't finished though, and threw a semi-concious Chavo to the ringside before following him out. Picking the limp body up off the floor, Norton picked Chavo up for what seemed to be another powerbomb. Instead of dumping Chavo down on the ringside floor though, Norton took a few steps and launched Chavo like a lawn dart at the ringpost, Chavo's head crashing into it with a sickening thud! Norton leaves the ringside area, his work here done as the EMT's head down to the ringside to check on Chavo. He exits on a stretcher with a supportive neck brace on out of safety for his potential injuries, the crowd applauding him for his efforts.

TS: Norton just tried to put an end to Chavo Guerrero Jr from the looks of that, that was a horrendous post match assault!

EB: He is a monster, and Chavo has found that out the hard way, we just hope that he hasn't sustained any serious injuries.

TS: Well, we have to move on, but the two title matches are up next, so the action never stops! Next, the tag team titles will be on the line, and you have to think that Harlem Heat will need to be a bit more on the same page than they were last week to beat the Warriors.

EB: Even if they are, the Warriors will be wanting this one badly!

WCW Tag Team Title Match

The tension between Booker T and Stevie Ray is obvious as they enter together, and it only seems to heighten as the Road Warriors take the early advantage, putting their power advantage to good use. Ray and T aren't working well as a team, as initially they seem reluctant to get into the ring with the Warriors, and then when Booker T got the advantage off of a snap leg lariat to an unsuspecting Hawk, Stevie Ray is quick to steal the tag from Booker and get himself into the ring, much to the chagrin of T, who begrudgingly heads to the outside. This continues throughout the match, with Harlem Heat having to work really hard to regain the advantage in the match, and then often throwing it away due to their petty squabbles. Eventually, the match all breaks down into a brawl between the four men, the Warriors first able to isolate Ray and then take T out of the ring with an Animal clothesline. As the referee tries to get the match under control by getting Animal to the outside, Hawk tries to grab Ray and suplex him into the ring from the apron, after Ray had tried to make his escape to the outside. As he does this, Booker T on the outside is quick to grab Hawk's feet, Ray collapsing hard on top of him. The ref turns around and counts the three count, not aware of Booker T holding the feet down to not allow Hawk to kick out.

Winner: Harlem Heat, still WCW Tag Team Champions

The Road Warriors are incensed, yet seemingly as much at themselves for throwing a chance away rather than just for losing. Harlem Heat scamper up the rampway with their titles, though the distance between the two as they celebrate is telling.

Rating: 83%

TS: Somehow, someway, Harlem Heat have retained the tag team titles!

EB: I just can't see this continuing though Tony, something has to give.

TS: Can Ken Shamrock do the same and retain his WCW TV Title against a man with the ability and the experience of Arn Anderson? I don't think he can, but who knows?

EB: With Ric Flair on hiatus for the time being after his loss to The Giant at Souled Out and Muta last week, it would be a great time for the Horseman to go out there and stamp their authority on the WCW once again by winning a title.

WCW TV Title Match

Ken Shamrock © vs Arn Anderson (w/Chris Benoit)

The crowd are firmly behind Shamrock, though the odds are stacked against him as not only is he against a more experienced wrestler in Anderson, but Chris Benoit is in his corner also, further adding to the pressure on the champion. Shamrock is quick to realise where his strengths in the match lay, and begins to use his strikes and a few leg-holds to try and get the upper-hand, only to quickly get suckered into letting his guard down by Benoit, giving Anderson the chance to jump him from behind, playing on Shamrock's relative inexperience. Anderson begins to wear down the UFC fighter bit by bit, even taking a leaf out of his long time friend Ric Flair's book by slapping on a figure four, a move that Shamrock is only just able to break. Shamrock threatens a few comebacks, but is very quick to lose his concentration with the prowling Benoit around the ring, though some of it is also due to Anderson reading the match better than him, which was best showcased in Anderson breaking an attempted Shamrock belly to belly with a nasty DDT which almost won him the title, Shamrock just able to kick out. Shamrock does finally manage to mount a little offence after blocking an Anderson gourdbuster and taking Anderson down to the mat with an arm lock and then using his strikes to work away on Anderson. This is short lived however, as Anderson ducks a Shamrock clothesline, which inadvertently nails the referee, taking him down to the mat, Shamrock then turning into a spinebuster from Anderson. With the referee out, Benoit enters the ring with a ringside chair, and Anderson pulls Shamrock up to his feet, Benoit waffling Shamrock back down to the mat with a vicious chair shot! Benoit gets out of the ring as the referee slowly comes to to see Anderson covering Shamrock. The ref crawls over....1........2.....ding ding.

Winner: Draw, time limit expired, Ken Shamrock still WCW TV Champion

Benoit is back in the ring as the ring announcer informs the crowd of the time limit draw which means Shamrock retains his title, and he has the chair in his hand again. Anderson looks pissed off at what has occurred, but grabs up Shamrock again, waiting for Benoit to hit him once again, but the only sound of steel on flesh comes as Randy Savage slides into the ring and cracks Anderson on the back, forcing him to let go of Shamrock, who then blocks the swinging chair from Benoit, and runs him off with it, Benoit quick to exit the ring as was Anderson. The four men stare each other down, as the crowd cheers intensely for Randy Savage's appearance.

TS: Savage coming to the aid of Shamrock once again and Anderson was just a second away from winning the TV title, even though he didn't deserve to after the interference from Benoit.

EB: Savage is still trying to get into the business of Arn Anderson...I dunno exactly how much he actually likes Shamrock, he is just as likely to be doing this just to annoy Anderson as far as I'm concerned.

The camera goes backstage to show The Steiner Brothers with Mean Gene Okerlund, ready for an interview.

MG: Rick, Scott, the Steiners have returned to WCW after an extended absence, and almost won the titles in your first match back? How do you feel to be back in the WCW?

Scott: We're proud to be back in WCW, Gene, and we are also glad that WCW recognises the ability that we have....last week, the title was ours to be won and Harlem Heat just went and got lucky. With them falling apart at the seams, when we get our return match for the titles, we will be walking away as the champions once again!

As Mean Gene goes to ask another question, The Suicide Blondes combo of Adam Copeland and Christian Cage appear on screen, both men looking glaringly at the Steiners.

Adam Copeland: Woah woah woah....what did I think I just heard, boys? When you get your return match for the titles? That shot, the next shot is ours...we've beaten the best that the WCW have had to offer thus far and are as yet undefeated, though WCW felt they'd screw us by giving the title shot that we had surely earnt to the Steiner Brothers on name value alone...if that isn't a crock, I don't know what is!

Rick: We got the shot because we are the best tag team in the world today, buddy.....just because you've spent a month picking up victories against the little guys doesn't mean you have what it takes when it really matters to take on the world beaters, the teams like the Steiners!

Christian Cage: You put them up, we'll knock them down chump! Since we both seem to believe that we are the ones who deserve the shot, why don't we meet in the ring to decide who gets it? We are the future of tag team wrestling, and we'll be happy to show you this on the way to winning tag team gold!

SS: See you in two weeks then...and good luck, cos you are going to need every last ounce of it!

The two teams begrudgingly shake hands, before going off in their separate directions.

Rating: 70%

TS: Another big match announced for Superbrawl....The Steiners vs The Suicide Blondes, should be something special!

EB: With the winner going on to face Harlem Heat, you know they are going to let it all hang out for the gold.

TS: And now, onto our Main Event, in what should be a cracking tag team encounter as Sting and Lex Luger go up against The Giant's stablemates, The Taskmaster and The Great Muta.

Main Event

Sting and Lex Luger vs The Great Muta and The Taskmaster

As you can imagine, the crowd are solidly behind both Sting and Lex Luger as they enter, with The Great Muta getting the larger share of the boos on his team. Initially, the team of Muta and Sullivan are outmatched, with Sting and Luger using their experience of teaming in the past to take control of the match, choosing to isolate Sullivan of the two and making use of quick tags to keep the fresh man in. As Sting hit the rope to go for a clothesline, Muta low-bridged the rope sending Sting to the outside and Luger into a furious argument with the referee which just allowed Sullivan and Muta to beat away on Sting at ringside behind the refs back, including a spike shot to the throat from Muta that had Sting rolling around in agony. With Sullivan taking the brunt of the abuse thus far, Muta tries to keep himself in the ring, keeping Sting grounded with a nerve hold and then two snap elbowdrops that get a two count from the cover. Muta begins to work on the knee, and hits his trademark dragon screw before putting Sting in the figure four, a move that Sting is just able to make the ropes from. Muta throws away his control though by going for the handspring elbow into the corner too early, Sting dodging the move and then whipping Muta back into the opposite corner to nail him with his very own Stinger Splash, leaving both men down on the canvas. Muta makes the tag to Sullivan, but Sting makes the tag to Luger at the same time and the crowd get to their feet as Luger begins to pound away on both Muta and Sullivan, before Sting and Muta head to the ringside with punches flying all over the place. Sullivan tries to contain a frantic Luger, but is subjected to a flying forearm right in the face before Luger lifts him up for the Torture Rack. Luger begins to jump around to put more strain on the move, only to turn around into a big boot from The Giant, leaving the ref no choice but to DQ the Dungeon of Doom.

Winner: Sting and Lex Luger by DQ

The Giant begins to beat up on Luger with chops and punches until Sting is able to get back into the ring and starts to rattle away at The Giant with punches of his own. It seems like the Giant is rocked until Muta comes from behind, chop-blocking Sting and evening the odds. Sullivan is also back to his feet, and begins to stomp away on Sting as Muta locks in the figure four again, whilst The Giant has his huge hands wrapped around Luger's throat in a choke. Suddenly, the crowd begin to cheer as Hulk Hogan makes his way down to the ring! Hogan rocks the Giant with big punches sending him to the outside before also pitching Sullivan to the floor. Then, he heads for the man he was after in the first place, as he begins to punch away at The Great Muta, who had broken the figure four and was ready to fight. Muta blocked a punch and went for the mist, but Hogan had it well scouted and ducked, before whipping Muta into the rope for a big boot. A legdrop later, and Hogan is standing tall in the ring with Muta on the mat as the camera fades to black.

Card Rating: 73%

TV Rating: 5.01

IPB Image

WCW World Title Match

The Giant © vs Sting and Lex Luger

No DQ Match

Hulk Hogan vs The Great Muta

WCW Tag Team Title Match

Harlem Heat © vs winner of Suicide Blondes/Steiners

Randy Savage and Ken Shamrock vs Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit

DDP and Scott Norton vs Eddie Guerrero and ??? (Chavo Guerrero, injuries permitting)

The Suicide Blondes vs The Steiners

WCW Crusierweight Title Tournament: Final

winner of Chris Jericho/Rey Mysterio vs winner of Ultimo Dragon/Jerry Lynn

Dean Malenko vs Brian Pillman

Edited by liamwannabe

So, just read all the way through, and I have to say, you have a great way of writing things. To have kept me interested all the way through is something special, considering how little I come in here.

Really like some of your angles - most specifically the DoD, and everything surrounding them. Superbrawl looks like it could be an amazing read - again, specifically everything involving the DoD.

So basically, keep up the good work, and keep up the DoD domination. (Y)

IPB Image

WCW Saturday Night 10/02/96

The camera fades in as we begin another episode of WCW Saturday Night, and as it heads straight to the ring for some action.

Chris Kanyon vs Prince Iaukea

Chris Kanyon has been on a bit of a downer as of late, but it was the right time to be meeting Prince Iaukea as he had also been on a bit of a losing streak recently, most notably against Chris Jericho in the Crusierweight Title Tournament. The crowd were fully behind Iaukea, but he struggled from the offset against Kanyon's hybrid offence. Iaukea tried his best to use his kicks to wear down Kanyon to some small success, yet Kanyon was able to fend them off and after dropping him with a back rack pancake, was in total control of the match. He possibly could have got the pin several times, but chose to showcase his arsenal, with the sit down dominator getting the biggest crowd response. One Flatliner later, and Kanyon had broke his recent losing streak.

Winner: Chris Kanyon

Rating: 48%

With the first match in the bag, we get to see the events from Monday Nitro's Main Event, as Sting and Lex Luger took on The Great Muta and The Taskmaster.

Muta throws away his control though by going for the handspring elbow into the corner too early, Sting dodging the move and then whipping Muta back into the opposite corner to nail him with his very own Stinger Splash, leaving both men down on the canvas. Muta makes the tag to Sullivan, but Sting makes the tag to Luger at the same time and the crowd get to their feet as Luger begins to pound away on both Muta and Sullivan, before Sting and Muta head to the ringside with punches flying all over the place. Sullivan tries to contain a frantic Luger, but is subjected to a flying forearm right in the face before Luger lifts him up for the Torture Rack. Luger begins to jump around to put more strain on the move, only to turn around into a big boot from The Giant, leaving the ref no choice but to DQ the Dungeon of Doom.

Winner: Sting and Lex Luger by DQ

The Giant begins to beat up on Luger with chops and punches until Sting is able to get back into the ring and starts to rattle away at The Giant with punches of his own. It seems like the Giant is rocked until Muta comes from behind, chop-blocking Sting and evening the odds. Sullivan is also back to his feet, and begins to stomp away on Sting as Muta locks in the figure four again, whilst The Giant has his huge hands wrapped around Luger's throat in a choke. Suddenly, the crowd begin to cheer as Hulk Hogan makes his way down to the ring! Hogan rocks the Giant with big punches sending him to the outside before also pitching Sullivan to the floor. Then, he heads for the man he was after in the first place, as he begins to punch away at The Great Muta, who had broken the figure four and was ready to fight. Muta blocked a punch and went for the mist, but Hogan had it well scouted and ducked, before whipping Muta into the rope for a big boot. A legdrop later, and Hogan is standing tall in the ring with Muta on the mat as the camera fades to black.

Blitzkrieg vs Devon Storm

In a match of the thrown-together tag partners who were beaten by The Giant on Nitro, Devon Storm and Blitzkrieg fought a fast paced, high flying clinic, the crowd especially impressed with Blitzkrieg's daredevil nature. Storm's experience was telling at the start, as he was able to avoid a top rope plancha from Blitzkrieg and take control of the match, though he struggled constantly to keep Krieg under control, who was quick to throw out armdrags and dropkicks to stop Storm's progress. Storm almost had the match won with a michinoku driver variation, but he decided to head to the top rope for a bigger finish, a move he would regret as Blitzkrieg got back to his feet and crotched Storm on the top turnbuckle. A top rope hurracanrana was enough to give Blitzkrieg his first victory in a WCW ring!

Winner: Blitzkrieg

Rating: 52%

In a pre-taped interview segment, Jason Broyles is shown recovering in his home from the attack by Brian Pillman at Souled Out. Limping about on crutches, Broyles stated that he was well on the way to recovery and hopefully he should be back in the next few weeks. Upon his return, Broyles promised that he would get his revenge on Pillman for doing this to him, anyway he could. The attack, he believed, had done little more than unleash his more dangerous side, and Pillman should watch his back.

Rating: 74%

Now with the cameras backstage, we see The Steiners hanging out in their locker room. A knock is heard on the door and with permission from Rick given, the door is opened and The Suicide Blondes enter. With the main event tonight of Scott Steiner vs Christian Cage and with a match at the PPV to decided the Number One Contender to the WCW Tag Team Title, there is a thick air of tension in the room as the Blondes enter, but it turns out that they are just wishing Steiners the best of luck, both tonight and at Superbrawl. They all square up to each other a little, neither flinching or making a move, until the Suicide Blondes back down and leave the locker room.

Before the next match, we catch a recap of the events when Harlem Heat went up against The Road Warriors again with their WCW Tag Team Titles on the line.

Eventually, the match all breaks down into a brawl between the four men, the Warriors first able to isolate Ray and then take T out of the ring with an Animal clothesline. As the referee tries to get the match under control by getting Animal to the outside, Hawk tries to grab Ray and suplex him into the ring from the apron, after Ray had tried to make his escape to the outside. As he does this, Booker T on the outside is quick to grab Hawk's feet, Ray collapsing hard on top of him. The ref turns around and counts the three count, not aware of Booker T holding the feet down to not allow Hawk to kick out.

Winner: Harlem Heat, still WCW Tag Team Champions

The Road Warriors are incensed, yet seemingly as much at themselves for throwing a chance away rather than just for losing. Harlem Heat scamper up the rampway with their titles, though the distance between the two as they celebrate is telling.

The Faces Of Fear vs The Blue Bloods

This is the first match for the FOF for a while after their release from the Dungeon Of Doom, and they go up against the team of Lord Steven Regal and Squire David Taylor, a team that also hasn't been as active as of late. Regal and Taylor are over-powered early on by the brute power and strength of the Faces of Fear, and it is only after a re-grouping at ringside and a well-timed knee shot to the back of The Barbarian from the ringside apron illegally by Taylor that gives the Blue Bloods control of the match. Realising their collective strengths, Regal and Taylor begin to target The Barbarians back and legs, to weaken his base and weaken him also for a potential submission later on. However, this strategy doesn't last for long, as a double team attempt is countered by Barbarian with a double clothesline, knocking all 3 men to the floor. A tag to Meng brings the crowd onto their feet as the Tongan monster begins to chop and savate kick the Blue Bloods into oblivion, dropping both men repeatedly to the mat. Though on fire, with the referees back turned as he tried to break up the Barbarian and David Taylors' brawling, Meng doesn't see a brass knuckle shot from Regal coming, and as the ref turns around, an unconcious Meng is locked in the Regal Stretch. The ref drops the arm once, and then rings the bell to give the Blue Bloods the victory.

Winner: The Blue Bloods

Regal lets go of the hold and is quick to scamper out of the ring with Taylor as a livid Barbarian tries to save his partner.

Rating: 64%

Before the main event, a hype video shows a new tag team that shall be in WCW in the next couple of weeks. All the promo shows is two shadows standing below a mixed Japanese/USA flag. The shadows aren't obvious, though both men look well built.

Rating: 56%

After the hype video, we get one more video recap from Nitro past, as Arn Anderson challenged Ken Shamrock for his WCW TV Title.

Shamrock does finally manage to mount a little offence after blocking an Anderson gourdbuster and taking Anderson down to the mat with an arm lock and then using his strikes to work away on Anderson. This is short lived however, as Anderson ducks a Shamrock clothesline, which inadvertently nails the referee, taking him down to the mat, Shamrock then turning into a spinebuster from Anderson. With the referee out, Benoit enters the ring with a ringside chair, and Anderson pulls Shamrock up to his feet, Benoit waffling Shamrock back down to the mat with a vicious chair shot! Benoit gets out of the ring as the referee slowly comes to to see Anderson covering Shamrock. The ref crawls over....1........2.....ding ding.

Winner: Draw, time limit expired, Ken Shamrock still WCW TV Champion

Benoit is back in the ring as the ring announcer informs the crowd of the time limit draw which means Shamrock retains his title, and he has the chair in his hand again. Anderson looks pissed off at what has occurred, but grabs up Shamrock again, waiting for Benoit to hit him once again, but the only sound of steel on flesh comes as Randy Savage slides into the ring and cracks Anderson on the back, forcing him to let go of Shamrock, who then blocks the swinging chair from Benoit, and runs him off with it, Benoit quick to exit the ring as was Anderson. The four men stare each other down, as the crowd cheers intensely for Randy Savage's appearance.

Christian Cage (w/Adam Copeland) vs Scott Steiner (w/Rick Steiner)

The main event of WCW Saturday Night sees Christian Cage facing his biggest challenge yet as he meets one half of the ex-WCW Tag Team champions, Scott Steiner. The crowd are behind both teams, though they are just a little more vocal for Scott when he is on offence. The first clashes are pretty much a stalemate, with Cage quick to reverse or block any attempts at suplexes from Scott, and Scott eventually changing his tactic and Steinerlining Cage over the top rope to the floor! Cage is a little shaken up by this, but he is quickly back into the match, using his slight speed advantage to take control of the match, with a second rope dropkick getting the first two count of the match. Cage tried to wear down the stronger Scott with a chinlock, but Steiner eventually powered out and hit a nice belly to back suplex, dumping Cage on his head for a near fall. Cage tried to fight back, but Scott began to unleash his array of suplexes, including a belly to belly over head to get another near fall. Cage almost sneaks a win after dumping Steiner with a powerbomb off of a frankensteiner attempt, but Steiner eventually manages to pick up the win after he blocks a tornado DDT off the top rope and getting the pin with a Northern Lights Suplex.

Winner: Scott Steiner

The camera slowly fades out as Scott and Rick Steiner celebrate in the ring whilst Copeland gets into the ring to console Cage. With the tag match just over a week away, the Steiners had gained the upper hand.

Card Rating: 62%

TV Rating: 2.96

Edited by liamwannabe

Ok, apologies firstly….I kinda fucked up something with my game this week, so I’ve decided to do both shows in the style that I do WCWSN usually. As you can see, both shows are about the same length, there are no TV ratings and there is no distinction between A or B level show, really. Long story, but yeah, many apologies.

--------------------------------------------------------------

IPB Image

Monday Nitro 12/02/96

With the pyro going off in the building, the cameras headed to the ring for the first match of the night, the first semi-final in the WCW Cruiserweight Title Tournament.

WCW Cruiserweight Title Tournament: Semi Final

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Chris Jericho

The look on Jericho’s face was of pure confidence, however, and he took control early on using his power to his advantage to take Rey to the outside, where he began to beat down on Mysterio with help from the guardrails and ringsteps in turn. Jericho’s attack naturally focused on the back, a backbreaker into a backbreaker submission the biggest of Mysterio’s woes, though he was eventually able to break free. Mysterio threatened to come back at several moments, but cheapshots from Jericho often waylaid that plan, until Mysterio was able to avoid a flying forearm attempt by Jericho near the ropes, sending Jericho tumbling out to the floor! As if this wasn’t enough, Rey launched himself over the top with a plancha to add insult to injury! Back in the ring, Rey planted Jericho with the wheelbarrow bulldog, but instead of going for the pin, went to the top. With his back hurting, his climb was slow, and as he got to the top, Jericho pushed the ref back into the ropes, crotching Rey! A superplex later, and Mysterio was primed for the Liontamer and as Jericho locked it in in the centre of the ring, Rey had nowhere to go and was forced to tap out.

Winner: Chris Jericho

As Jericho left the ring, Mean Gene was waiting at the top of the ramp to have a word with him about his victory and the impending challenge for the WCW Cruiserweight Title. Jericho was dismissive of the challenge Mysterio put up against him and told Gene that whoever he would have to face for the title at Superbrawl, he would defeat with ease. When Gene tried to talk against Jericho’s cocky nature, Jericho indignantly let him know that no matter what; he was leaving the PPV the champion.

Rating: 91%

Jim Duggan vs Alex Wright

The next match of the night saw the US champion Alex Wright in a non-title match against Jim Duggan, the obvious fan favourite. Wright seemed in high spirits upon his entrance and was posing for the crowd to little or no response, but he didn’t seem to notice. Duggan got the crowd behind with his usual “USA” chant, which seemed to throw off Wright, who began to pace the ring covering his ears. They finally locked up, and Wright went to work on the bigger Duggan, seemingly frustrated by the fan’s lack of support for him, peppering Duggan with kicks and strikes. As Wright continued to hold the advantage in the match, the “USA” chants continued, each time ending up in Wright putting his hands over his ears and throwing him off his game. Through this, Duggan was finally able to take advantage as he began to use his power to throw around Wright as they roared their approval. Wright escaped to the outside and with Duggan celebrating in the middle of the ring with the thumbs up, grabbed a chair. Back into the ring, and Duggan got dropped with a chairshot to the face for the DQ victory!

Winner: Jim Duggan by DQ

Duggan is down and out, and Wright drops the chair almost as if he didn’t realise what he was doing. He goes down on the mat to see if Duggan is alright, then stands back up and begins to dance, a move that gets a harsh response from the crowd, much to Wright’s confusion. He tries it a few more times to the same response, then cuts his losses and leaves the ring.

Booker T vs Adam Copeland vs Rick Steiner

With the two matches at Superbrawl concerning these three tag teams, one member of each clashed in a three way match, Booker T, Adam Copeland and Rick Steiner. The Steiners already had a small mental victory over The Suicide Blondes with Scott Steiner’s victory over Christian Cage, but this could all be changed with the result of tonight’s match. Two people in the ring at any one time, and the majority of it saw Booker T refusing to get in, after initially taking a 2-on-1 onslaught from Rick and Copeland. With T staying on the ring apron, Copeland and Steiner went at it, Steiner’s power too much for the young Canadian, who ended up on the receiving end of a brutal powerslam off the ropes and then a Steinerline almost got the pin if not for T’s interference. Copeland tried to come back, and began to get some success with a hit and move style, avoiding an running charge from Rick and dropping him with a stiff DDT for a 2 count, but he went too early for the tiger bomb he has been using, Steiner easily countering it into a nasty backdrop driver! As Copeland struggled to his feet, Steiner headed to the second rope, planting him with the second rope bulldog! As Rick got up to go to capitalise, Booker T reached over the ropes and tagged himself in! Rick was quickly pitched to the outside and a seemingly unconscious Copeland pinned for a 3 count without breaking much sweat!

Winner: Booker T

Booker T is quick to get back up the rampway as Steiner furiously gets back into the ring ready to trade blows.

Rating: 72%

With the Main Event ahead of us, we got a pre-taped segment of the Dungeon Of Doom in their locker room. Kevin Sullivan did all of the talking, promising that not only would they be victorious tonight, but that this was just a platform for Superbrawl, where they will continue to reign supreme with Giant as the WCW World Champion and The Great Muta will once and for all finish what he started and crush Hulkamania.

Main Event

The Dungeon Of Doom vs Sting, Lex Luger and Hulk Hogan

Star power galore in the Main Event, as Sting, Luger and Hogan teamed together to face the might of the Giant, Muta and Sullivan. The fans were well and truly behind Sting, Luger and Hogan, Hogan’s return to the ring getting the biggest reaction of them all. The match broke down almost straight away, Muta and Hogan not waiting to be tagged into the match and just going at it, brawling to the floor, over the barriers and into the crowd! As they brawled their way about, the action had begun in the ring, with tags pretty much being ignored as Sullivan went to work on Sting and the Giant over-powered Luger. Sting was able to block a suplex attempt however, and dropped Sullivan with one of his own. Realising the Giant as the danger man, Sullivan was tossed to the outside and Sting pounced on the Giant, striking away with punches and kicks only to get brushed off. This did however give time to Luger to get up, and with Sting and Luger both peppering away at the big man, they began to make some progress, until Sullivan got back into the ring and clotheslined Sting, leaving Luger at the hands of the Giant again, who dropped him with a huge press slam! With the Giant working over Luger, Sullivan had an Irish Whip attempt into the corner reversed, and Sting hit him with a Stinger Splash and again threw him to the outside, choosing to concentrate on the Giant who was wearing down Luger with a choke in the corner. Sting tried to go toe to toe with him, but wasn’t getting much luck, so decided to go for a running clothesline. Two attempts barely moved the big man, and as he went for a third time, the Giant moved out of the way and rammed Sting head-first into Luger, who had just got back to his feet and had been ready to pounce on the Giant! Both men hit the floor hard, and as Sullivan got back into the ring and kept Sting down on the mat with some punches to the face, Luger was picked up and slammed down with a beautiful chokeslam, leaving the 3 count inevitable.

Winner: The Dungeon of Doom

The Giant grabs his WCW World Title and heads back up the ramp, with Sullivan following him. As Sting and Luger come to, Sting looks to apologise to Luger for what happened in the ring, but Luger looks less than impressed with what happened. Luger goes to leave, but Sting pulls him back into the ring and continues to talk. Luger still doesn’t look too happy, but they end up shaking hands and leaving together as the camera fades to black.

Card Rating: 77%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

IPB Image

WCW Saturday Night 17/02/96

With this show the night before Superbrawl, WCWSN actually avoided last months concept of re-running down the major feuds in favour of some last minute confronations, the first being the second semi-final of the WCW Cruiserweight Title Tournament as Ultimo Dragon went one on one against Jerry Lynn for a chance to meet Chris Jericho at Superbrawl for the title. Before getting into the ring, Mean Gene grabs a chance to have a word with an intense looking Jerry Lynn, though Lynn ignores most of the questions Gene ask him, instead staring directly ahead to the ring where Dragon is standing. When asked if he thinks he could go on and win the title, Lynn finally responds “Just watch this!” and runs down to the ring for the match.

WCW Cruiserweight Title Tournament: Semi Final

Ultimo Dragon vs Jerry Lynn

Ultimo Dragon, since last month’s handshakes with Juventud Guerrera and Rey Mysterio Jr. at Souled Out, has been getting a better reaction from the crowd, and they are fully behind him as he goes up against an ever-angrier Jerry Lynn. Lynn tried to get a rush on Dragon, attacking him before the bell and taking him to the ringside, slamming him hard on the ringmats before stomping away chest. Lynn then used the guardrail and corner post to give him total control, realising that he may not have the ability or experience to beat Dragon without these sorts of tactics. Back in the ring and Lynn continued to pummel away on Dragon, moving away from his usual technical gameplan that he utilises but to reasonable affect. A fisherman suplex got him a two count, and another two was gained from a lifting DDT, with Lynn insistent to the referee that he got the three off of it. This let Dragon recover a little, and as Lynn came over to begin the attack again, Dragon grabbed him by the tights from the floor and threw him to the outside, before getting to his feet and launching himself at Lynn with a beautiful plancha! Showing he can also mix it up, Dragon whipped Lynn into the guardrail, and followed in with a spin-kick, sandwiching him. Back in the ring, Lynn was able to get the match back into his hands with a low-blow when the referee wasn’t looking, but as Lynn seemed to look to close the match out, a tornado DDT attempt went wrong as Ultimo blocked it as Lynn jumped off, and then planted Lynn with a gorgeous northern lights suplex with bridge to grab the 3 count and the place in the final!

Winner: Ultimo Dragon

Rating: 82%

Ultimo Dragon is up and the ref grabs him by the arm, raising his arm in victory. Lynn is irate with losing, though, and jumps Dragon from behind, pummelling away on him with punches as they tumble down to the mat. Lynn aims a few punts to Dragon’s stomach, before picking him up and dropping him on top of his head with a nasty brainbuster! Lynn spits on Dragon as he leaves the ring, the crowd boos uniform and loud.

Rating: 73%

Scott Norton (w/DDP) vs Konnan

With the tag team match against Eddie Guerrero and a partner of his choice, Scott Norton and DDP were out to once again show the raw power that Norton had, and Konnan was unfortunate to be caught in the crossfire. Norton crushed Konnan with a powerslam and a big splash in the corner, and the one time Konnan looked to threaten, DDP tripped him up as he hit the ropes, putting Norton back into control again. A huge powerbomb was not enough in Norton’s eyes, as he picked up the limp body of Konnan again and repeated the powerbomb, initially holding him up for longer and parading him about the ring. The 3 count was inevitable.

DDP is quick into the ring to celebrate with his charge, who appears to have barely broke sweat.

With both Norton and Page in the ring, Eddie Guerrero appears on the big screen at the top of the rampway. Guerrero admits that what Norton did to Chavo a couple of weeks back was impressive, and that he hadn’t been cleared to wrestle at Superbrawl due to the injuries sustained. Eddie promised that he would personally get his revenge for Chavo during the match, but that Norton and Page’s problems only just begin with his rage. Guerrero promised Page a “monster of his own” to counter-act Norton and he looked forward to finally getting his hands on Page once again.

Rating: 73%

Before the main event, we saw a video re-cap of the on-going feud between Ken Shamrock, Randy Savage and two members of the Four Horseman, Chris Benoit and Arn Anderson. From Randy Savage's DQ victory over Benoit at Souled Out to Anderson and Shamrock's draw for the WCW TV Title, all aspects are shown, as well as some footage of Ken Shamrock beating people up in UFC. The re-cap fades out with 4 big images of the men standing in front of a Superbrawl backdrop.

Rating: n/a

Main Event

Brian Pillman vs Psychosis

A relatively short match for the Main Event, as Pillman jumped Psychosis before the bell with a chair shot to the leg! The bell hadn’t rung, so the ref was at a loss with regards to a potential DQ. Pillman backed off and the ref checked to see if Psychosis would want to continue. Psychosis, showing more guts than brains, decided to continue, though the second the bell rang he was on the defense, as Pillman went straight for the knee he targeted with the chair shot. Leglocks, elbows, kicks, knees…Pillman threw everything at Psychosis’s knee with a vicious snap to every move, and Psychosis was in big trouble and pain. Psychosis managed a brief fight back, blocking an on-rushing Pillman with a clothesline, and then dumping him with a brainbuster. Psychosis made the mistake of attempting to go to the top rope to capitalise, but he was too slow with his leg slowing him down enough so that Pillman could get up and throw him off the top. With Psychosis down, Pillman locked in a figure four leaving Psychosis little chance but to tap out.

Pillman held the figure four on for a while longer as the ref tried to get him to break it. When he did break it however, he wasn’t finished and recovered the chair he had used earlier from ringside with malicious intent seemingly on his mind. Dean Malenko hitting the ring stopped his actions, as the two began to brawl away with each other. As it seemed like Malenko was getting the upper hand, Pillman was able to grab the chair and stop the onslaught with a chair to the side of the face! A couple more shots and Malenko was down and out, though Pillman still seemed to have other things on his mind. Wrapping the chair around Malenko’s ankle, Pillman looked as if he was ready to try and break the ankle with a stomp off the turnbuckles but this was stopped by another run-in, as Jason Broyles hobbled down to the ring, his leg still heavily strapped from the beating he took from Pillman at Souled Out. Pillman tries to rush Broyles, who ducks the attack and begins to punch away at Pillman as the crowd get to their feet in support. One last big shot, and Pillman flies over the top rope to the outside. However, Broyles is too quick to turn his back on Pillman to see if Malenko is ok, as Pillman grabs his leg from the outside, tripping him up. One big lift and slam of the knee joint on the ring apron, and Broyles is in agony, one swing of the knee joint into the ring post, and Pillman is finally finished. The camera fades out as a smirking Pillman heads back up the rampway, as the EMT’s come down the other way to check on Broyles and Malenko.

Card Rating: 67%

IPB Image

WCW World Title Match

No DQ Match

WCW Tag Team Title Match

WCW US Title Match

Alex Wright © vs Jim Duggan

DDP and Scott Norton vs Eddie Guerrero and ???

Chris Jericho vs Ultimo Dragon

So yeah, that's the final Superbrawl card, so anyone can post predictions if they feel that way inclined. I don't expect the results to be up for a small while due to time constraints, so you've got a bit of time to check it all out.

Edited by liamwannabe

Well it's only taken me several hours to concentrate enough to write this up, but here goes:

The 05/02 edition of Nitro was a pretty good show, flowing nicely from Souled Out to Superbrawl. Giant squashing two guys was an odd way to open the night, but it did what it set out to do. Sting and Luger should be pissing their pants :pervert:. Eddy's ejection from the arena pretty much spelled out the doom that would befall Chavo later in the night, but nice to see Eddy left without a fight. The two CW tourney matches ended like I'd have expected them to, Dragon/Jericho gets one step closer. Chavo as expected gets murdered by Norton, which I'll admit I liked a little too much :blush:. Harlem Heat barely escape the match with The Road Warriors which I liked, as it's starting to become apparent that there's something wrong with the team. I loved how you kept Anderson looking strong throughout his match with Shamrock, he's the kinda guy who still has something to give and could very well be a champion even at his age. The slow build of Cage and Copeland in the tag division is a great way of keeping this realistic, and while they've only been beating lesser guys on Saturday Night, they have the momentum behind them to upset the veteran team. And we end the show with a great big clusterfuck. It's not pretty, but it hypes up two matches at the same time so it's all good.

I'll keep Saturday Night short, so this doesn't get any longer. Decent show all round, nice to see Regal making an appearance again. Hopefully Cage holding his own, and only just losing against Scott means they're due a win at Superbrawl.

Not a bad opening match to Nitro...Mysterio losing to Jericho brings tears of joy to my eyes. Jericho Vs Dragon in the final should be a great match to see. Here comes Wright again, and if this were a real show I'd be taking a piss right now. Duggan gets the DQ victory, and I'd love you forever if this became a storyline where he loses his marbles completely :blush:. The Blondes jobbing again, but I'm still hopeful this is a sign of their winning at the PPV. The main event featues a whole lot of suck (minus Muta :wub: and Giant) so it's only fitting that the biggest piece of suck in Luger is the one to take the fall. I can see him doing it again at Superbrawl, leaving Sting safe to go at him one on one.

Nice idea to change the format of Saturday Night, and even better idea to start with Dragon/Lynn. The right man went over, and Lynn didn't suffer thanks to the after match beatdown. Norton murders Konnan...poor guy, but it does make Eddy's position look a little tougher. I hope he finds himself a worthy parter. Nice to see Pillman getting another win close to his match with Malenko, and I don't fancy Dean's chances. I liked him injuring Broyles some more, lessening his chances of interfering at Superbrawl and giving Pillman a chance to be naughty :)

...and now for predictions...

IPB Image

WCW World Title Match

- Giant just won the belt, so it's a lock for him to win this. I expect the usual working together between Sting and Luger until it comes time for someone to win. Whether it leads to a feud I'm not quite sure yet, but either way Giant is walking out with the belt.

No DQ Match

- Call it blind optimism. Hogan did the job before, so I fully expect him to win this round. Still, I wasn't expecting Muta to win last time so I'm hoping lightning strikes twice and he wins again.

WCW Tag Team Title Match

- This should be the time the tag title scene gets a little fresher. Having the Blondes go over the Steiners earlier in the night, and then over Harlem Heat here will pretty much solidify them as worthy holders of the belts.

- I'm thinking a similar secnario to the DDP/Eddy match will play out here. Shamrock/Benoit will not lose the fall, but I can see the faces winning this match.

WCW US Title Match

- You know my hatred of Wright, and I know you have plans for him so I can't see Duggan stopping them any time soon.

DDP and Scott Norton vs Eddie Guerrero and ???

- Eddie's victory over the DDP needs to be kept off until a singles bout. I'm still not sure who the partner is going to be, but I think they'll be the one to take the fall for Page.

- The Blondes win this somehow, going into the tag title match later ready to bring a new start to the division.

- Dick heel Jericho is a better option for champion right now, as it gives Dragon a reason to keep chasing him until the next PPV at the very earliest. I can see it ending very dubiously too, so Dragon has a legitimate reason to get another shot.

- Pillman is the one getting the most focus right now, losing to Malenko would pretty much kill off all the unbalanced psycho momentum he's been building recently. I can't see Dean walking out of the arena under his own power either.

Edited by Xero Gravity

IPB Image

WCW Superbrawl

The fireworks go off as we head into the second WCW PPV of the calendar year, SUPERBRAWL! With a stacked show ahead of us, the action is already set up to start in the ring as WCW committee members have the new WCW Cruiserweight Title on show, ready for the final which will open the PPV.

Match One

WCW Cruiserweight Title Tournament: Final

Cruiserweight Title Match

The crowd are fully behind Ultimo Dragon, a man who until recently they had contempt for but had now accepted as a fan favourite, especially next to a man as hated as Chris Jericho. With this the first chance for Dragon to get his hands on Jericho since Jericho walked out on him when they were partners back at Souled Out, Dragon looks steely eyed and intense, and Jericho gets the rough end of the early exchanges, although their knowledge of each other is evident, matching move for move and hold for hold. After a couple of armdrags, Jericho decides to head to ringside to re-group, only to be dropped with a baseball slide, and then an asai moonsault from the second rope down to the ringside floor! The crowd continued to cheer as Ultimo threw Jericho back into the ring and got a near fall. Jericho, no stranger to bending the rules, went for the eyes, knee-capping Dragon’s advances, and dropped him with a couple of vicious clotheslines, before getting to work on his back with a nasty looking bow and arrow. In between moves further targeting the back, Jericho seemed out to humiliate Dragon, ripping at the mask with every opportunity, and twice attempting to pin Dragon with just one foot on the chest, both times only getting a 1 though. Dragon mounted somewhat of a comeback, blocking an attempted double arm backbreaker into a backdrop, before unleashing some nasty kicks to the side and legs of Jericho, finally planting Jericho with a stiff DDT for a near 2 count that had people out of their seats thinking that was it. As Dragon looked to force the issue, Jericho tripped him up and went for the Liontamer, but Dragon didn’t let him turn, quickly shuffling towards the ropes for a rope break. Jericho wouldn’t let go of the legs, and as Dragon kicked him off, Jericho collided with the referee, putting the ref down to the mat. Dragon floated over the top of a Jericho attempted back body drop and landed a reverse DDT but with no referee to count, it was in vain. As Dragon went over to try and get the referee up, he was blindsided by an assault from Jerry Lynn! Lynn turned Dragon around and dropped him hard with a piledriver, dragging over Jericho’s still motionless body to drape him over Dragon. The ref slowly moved over to the pinfall….1….2…..3!

Winner: NEW Cruiserweight Champion, Chris Jericho!

Lynn snatches the belt off of the committee at ringside and pulls a groggy Jericho to his feet, handing him the belt and giving him a hug of celebration. The crowd don’t like it, and their responses harshen as Lynn picks up Dragon for a wide-open belt shot to the top of the forehead from Jericho. The two raise each other’s hands in victory before heading backstage, the Cruiserweight Title in hand.

Rating: 92%

Next match in the ring sees Dean Malenko go one on one against Brian Pillman, and you have to imagine Jason Broyles is watching this somewhere after the attacks that Pillman has perpetrated on him in the past month.

Match Two

Dean Malenko has his leg heavily strapped after the attack by Pillman last week, and he is obviously favouring it quite heavily. The crowd give Pillman what for, and is his usual want, the first couple of minutes are spent with him ducking in and out of the ring to taunt the fans. When they finally lock up, Malenko shows himself to be by far the better technical wrestler, rocking Pillman with some nice slick counter wrestling, before nailing him with a couple of punches to send him to the outside for good measure. But it isn’t long before Pillman targets the leg, aiming a basement dropkick at it and then putting the boots to it for good measure. Throughout the match, this is naturally Pillman’s target, even synching in a ringpost figure four which leaves Malenko writhing around in pain, though the ref forces Pillman to break on the four count. Pillman takes too long as he heads to the top rope to inflict further damage though, and Malenko crotches him on top, before delivering an awesome superplex! Both men are down and get slowly back to their feet, before a trade-off of punches ensue. Malenko gets the better of it and seems to be gaining a head of steam, slamming Pillman twice and then dropping him with a fishermans suplex for a close fall. Malenko seems set to put the finishing touches to the match and drop Pillman with a tiger bomb into his Texas Cloverleaf, but as he lifts Pillman, his knee buckles, and Pillman lands hard on top of Malenko. Ever the oppurtunist, Pillman lands a few punches before grabbing Malenko and synching in a single legged Boston crab. Malenko tried to make the ropes, but submits after the pain gets too much.

The ref goes over to raise the hand of Pillman in victory but Pillmans pulls it away, before landing a big right hand putting the ref down. Quick out of the ring to grab a chair, Pillman gets back into the ring and stalks the fallen Malenko. The crowd begin to cheer though as Jason Broyles hobbles down to the ring, chair in hand. Pillman looks pissed off and starts to back away from the fallen Malenko as Broyles angrily starts to threaten Pillman, chair in hand. Pillman is finally backed up to the ring ropes as Broyles raises his chair…only to bring it down on Malenko’s injured leg! He brings down the chair a couple more times, each time leaving Malenko writhing in agony and then to show the extent of his lies, he begins to walk without the hobble, as Pillman shouts “it’s a miracle!”. A chair shot to the head knocks Malenko out, and the chair is wrapped around his leg, though it is Broyles instead of Pillman who heads up the turnbuckle. A stomp off the top rope follows, and the crowd howl in derision at what they are seeing. As Pillman and Broyles leave, Malenko is out with some serious damage done to his leg, leaving no choice but to be stretchered out by the EMT’s.

The crowd are silenced by the events, though the appearance of the teams for the Number One Contender to the WCW World Tag Team Titles match does lift the spirits a little.

Match Three

Number One Contender Match

The Suicide Blondes vs The Steiner Brothers

Both teams get their fair share of reactions from the crowd with the Steiners just slight fan favourites and this mutual appreciation from the crowd carries over into the wrestlers shaking hands before the bell rings. The match starts with the obligatory four man brawl, with the Blondes quickly learning not to go head to head with the Steiners this way, Rick and Scott getting the upper hand with ease. After dropping Copeland with a big powerslam, Rick begins to cut the ring in half as he and his brother exchange quick tags to isolate the young Copeland. However, Copeland shows his wiles as he telegraphs an attempted back body drop from Scott, grabbing the head and hitting him with a faceplant before tagging out to Cage, who continued the beating on Scott with a nice back suplex and second rope legdrop, the latter for a near fall. The weight of expectation seemed to be getting to the Steiners, and the Blondes nearly got the victory a couple more times, including a Doomsday lift/crossbody double team move that left the pinfall needing to be broken up by Rick before the three. Scott showed his experience to get his team back in the match, avoiding a missile dropkick by Cage before tossing him back to the mat with a picture perfect overhead belly to belly suplex! With both men down, it was anyone’s match and as their partners got tagged in the crowd rose to their feet to cheer on both teams. A couple of near falls for both teams ensued, Copeland breaking up a pin on Cage following a Rick bulldog and then Scott doing the same after Copeland had dropped Rick with a sidekick underneath the chin. The exuberance of the Blondes was costly however, as a charge to the corner from Cage saw him lifted over the top rope with a back body drop by Rick and left his partner 2 on 1. Copeland ducked under an attempted bulldog, but was then met by a vicious lariat from Scott, before an Irish whip and Frankensteiner left him prone on the mat for the three count.

Winner: The Steiners

The crowd seem pleased not only with the match, but with how close The Blondes pushed the ever-popular and strong Steiners. Copeland and Cage look unhappy with blowing their opportunity to get a title show and their first loss in WCW, but Rick and Scott don’t look totally 100% themselves. With Harlem Heat and the WCW Tag Team Titles only 2 matches away, it is going to be an uphill struggle for the Steiners to retain the gold. The crowd cheer for a show of appreciation as Rick and Scott offer their hands at the end of the match, the Blondes accepting before leaving the ring to allow the Steiners to celebrate.

With the goodwill of the last match gone, the crowd are quick to jump on the team of Diamond Dallas Page and Scott Norton as they head to the ring for their match with Eddie Guerrero and his mystery partner, DDP especially getting the brunt of it. The boos turn to cheers as Guerrero makes his way down to the ring, though he is clever not to get into the ring before he can announce his partner. He grabs a microphone from ringside.

Eddie: Hey hombres, tonight is the night that not only do you get to see who I have in store for you but I get to put my hands on you, Page, you piece of trash! It won’t be pretty esé, but that isn’t always what I am about and for tonight, I also have my own monster ready to release! Norton, you think it is funny that you picked up poor Chavito and threw him into the ringpost? That you put him on the shelf for a few weeks? Scott…you might remember this guy from the time you spent out in Japan teaming together and he is more than ready to give you the beating you deserve for what you did to Chavo……my mystery partner is….

“BAM….BAM…..”

Match Four

Eddie Guerrero and Bam Bam Bigelow vs Diamond Dallas Page and Scott Norton

Bam Bam Bigelow gets a great reception from the crowd as he heads down to the ring, slapping fives with the fans who put their hands out down the rampway. Rolling into the ring with Guerrero, they launch themselves straight at their opponents as the ref rings the bell! Norton and Bigelow is typically like two juggernaughts going at it, as they trade punches, chops and clotheslines to little or no affect, whilst Page is quick to leave the ring and force Eddie to come after him. As Eddie runs around the ring after him, DDP suddenly stops and drop toe holds Eddie into the ringsteps! Pulling his limp body up, Page then drops him with a Diamond Cutter on the ringside floor for good measure! Getting back into the ring, Page chop blocks Bigelow, who had been getting the upper hand of Norton, leaving Bigelow down and up against two men with Guerrero seemingly out on the floor. Norton does the brunt of the work, wearing Bigelow down with a chokehold and a couple of power moves, in between cheapshots from DDP on the apron. Norton almost gets the three count from a powerslam, and then somehow manages to pick up Bigelow into the Canadian backbreaker, dropping Bigelow hard down across his knee for another near fall. With Bigelow sufficiently worn down, Page makes his way into the ring and begins to stomp away and punch Bigelow, adding insult to injury. He drops Bigelow for another two count with a discus punch, a foot on the rope breaking up the pin just as it looked like the match might be over. Guerrero has slowly began to stir outside the ring and crawls back towards his ring corner as DDP gloats over Bigelow slowly getting to his feet. However, in doing that, Bigelow has got rid of the cobwebs enough to block a Diamond Cutter by shoving DDP hard into the turnbuckle in front of him before hitting a last ditch avalanche! Bigelow crawls across to his corner and makes the tag, though Eddie is unable to get to Page before he tags out and rolls to the ringside floor. Eddie is fired up, and begins to wail away on Norton with punches, kicks and then a dropkick, though Norton then shrugs off another attempt at a dropkick before catching a Guerrero crossbody attempt and falling on top of him! Norton grabs up Guerrero from the mat and lifts him for a powerbomb attempt but Guerrero slips out of the back and rolls through into a roll-up to grab a surprise three count!

Winner: Eddie Guerrero and Bam Bam Bigelow

As the referee hits the mat for the three count, Guerrero is up to his feet looking for Page but Page has already started to make his way up the rampway. DDP taunts Guerrero by tapping the side of his head before heading backstage and a charging Norton catches Guerrero unawares. Luckily, Bigelow is up and clotheslines Norton out of the ring, who hits the floor and then takes his leave as well as Bigelow and Guerrero celebrate in the ring.

Rating: 74%

Next down to the ring is Jim Duggan for his title show for the WCW US Title, after the DQ victory he got over Alex Wright the week before after Wright seemingly snapped and hit him with a chair. This fact isn’t lost on the crowd in attendance as Wright gets a chorus of boos upon his arrival and even his attempts to dance into the crowds good books fails. Before entering the ring, Wright grabs a microphone from ringside and standing there with one hand behind his back as if a nobleman, begins to speak.

Wright: Now, now, now…quiet down. I only have two things I want to deal with, so the sooner I get it out of the way, the sooner you get to see the match! Now, firstly I would like to apologise to you, Hacksaw, for what happened last week. I don’t really know what happened to me, I just snapped and it happened, which is why I was all too ready to offer you up this title shot as a way of showing that there are no hard feelings!

But most importantly, I want to address the fans…..what gives you the right, in a sport where titans collide to show off their athletic abilities for your enjoyment, to cheer for someone PURELY based on where they come from? Mr Duggan here is a good wrestler, and rightfully deserves the support of the crowd, but do I deserve to not receive just because I wasn’t born in the US? I come out here, week in week out, to try and get you people to like what I do, yet I fight a losing battle if the second I step into the ring with a Yankee Doodle Dandy type, I am the enemy! So, please….if you like Hacksaw, cheer for him, if you like me, cheer for me…that is all I ask.

As Wright hands the microphone out of the ring, the crowd begin to chant “U S A, U S A!” and Wright begins to shake his head at the lack of respect he feel he is being shown. As the ref goes to get into the ring, Wright walks up to Duggan with his hand out-stretched and Duggan gives him the handshake he is looking for. As their hands meet, Wright pulls Duggan close to him and with the other hand, punches Duggan in the side of the head! Duggan drops to the floor seemingly out of it and the referee looks confused as to what happened. Wright puts his hand up as if in defence of whatever just occurred, and the referee reluctantly rings the bell.

Match Five

WCW US Title Match

Wright can be seen out of sight of the referee sticking something back into his trunks, before picking up Duggan and slowly wrapping him up into a small package. 1,2,3…the champ retains.

Winner: Alex Wright, still the WCW US Champion

The crowd aren’t happy with Wright’s underhanded tactics and Wright doesn’t seem to like the negative response. In an effort to win back the crowd on the way back up the rampway, he offers his hand to slap the hands of any of the young fans over the barriers, yet none of them take him up on his offer. Wright gets to the top of the ramp and begins to dance, before moving out of the way as a full bottle of drink is lobbed in his general direction upon which he realised that it is probably best if he left.

Rating: 61%

As the card progresses, the third title match of the night is already upon us, and the weary looking Steiner Brothers come out to the ring for their title shot against Harlem Heat. Though this would usually work in favour of the team they would be facing, Harlem Heat themselves don’t look totally on the same page and there is an intensity that has been building between them over the past few weeks as they had had several altercations.

Match Six

Harlem Heat © vs The Steiners

The Steiners look worn out after a tough match with the Suicide Blondes earlier and Heat take quick advantage, battering away on the Steiners with seeming intent to get this finished quickly. Scott is isolated early, and Ray and T use quick tags to further wear him down. This intent to get the match finished quickly segues into frustration, as Scott struggles valiantly, kicking out of a couple of early pinfall attempts at 2. T and Ray start to argue with each other between moves and tags and when a double clothesline fells both Scott and Ray, it gives Scott the chance to tag in the fresh man in Rick, who is quick in to batter both T and Ray with a barrage of clotheslines and slams. The referee loses control of the match as all Scott is still down from the beating he took and both Harlem Heat are in the ring with Rick. With their co-ordination and teamwork out the window, Booker T aims a jumping side kick at Rick, who moves and T drops Ray! A Steinerline puts T over the top rope and to the floor and as a groggy Ray gets back to his feet, Rick drops him head first with a bulldog, covering him for the 1,2,3!

Winner: NEW WCW World Tag Team Champions, The Steiner Brothers

The Steiners almost can’t believe it as the belts are handed over to them having gone through two teams to finally retain the WCW Tag Team Titles. As the Steiners leave with the belts in hand, not all is as rosy in team Harlem Heat, as Ray and T look on the verge of exploding at each other. Harsh words are exchanged, before Ray leaves the ring on his own. Booker looks less than impressed and follows a good few paces behind.

The next match sees the WCW TV Champion Ken Shamrock hook up in an interesting tag team with Randy Savage to go against two of the Four Horseman, Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit

Match Seven

Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit vs Randy Savage and Ken Shamrock

Savage went straight for Arn, but was cut off by Benoit who began to pound away as the ref made Anderson and Shamrock get onto the ring apron. Savage’s desire to get at Anderson further hampered him as a couple of attempts at a comeback were cut short by Savage lunging at Anderson, only to have Anderson move and Benoit continue his relentless assault. Targetting the neck, Benoit was vicious with a couple of back suplexes dropping Savage hard, whilst a chinlock with a knee in the back added to the pain he was feeling. Shamrock was impatiently pacing the ring apron, but he was going to remain on there for a little while longer as Anderson was now tagged in and he began to try and slowly disassemble Savage limb from limb, aiming first at the knees with a dragon screw and a leglock, then moving onto the arms with cross armbreaker. Savage was able to avoid an attempted running clothesline into the corner, but made the mistake of not tagging to the completely fresh Shamrock and instead tried to go to work on Anderson, a move halted by a kick to the gut and a nasty DDT that needed a Shamrock interference to not get the win for the Horseman. However, after a double clothesline collision with Benoit in the ring at the time, Savage made the right choice and went for Shamrock as Benoit also got to Anderson. Shamrock ducked Anderson’s clothesline attempt straight off and then dumped him with a nice belly to belly suplex. Shamrock appeared to snap, and he dumped Benoit overhead with a belly to belly also, before grabbing Anderson by the ankle and locking in the Ankle Lock! Shamrock was twisting with all his might and Anderson had nowhere to go, but Savage reached over the top rope and tagged himself in, just as Anderson began to tap out! Shamrock dropped the leg thinking they had won, only to get thrown through the middle rope by Benoit, who followed him to the floor. Savage and Anderson began to brawl in the centre of the ring and just as it seemed Savage was getting the upper hand, Anderson grabbed his hand and whipped him into the ropes. As Savage came back off them, Anderson lifted him up for the Spinebuster, only for Savage to roll it up into a cradle for the three count!

Winner: Randy Savage and Ken Shamrock

Anderson is shocked with how quick that happened and gets up looking purposefully at Savage. Savage’s luck is in though, as Shamrock re-enters the ring to fend him of. As the Horseman slink away up the ramp to lick their wounds, Shamrock seems to be gesticulating about Savage making the tag behind his back. However, it doesn’t escalate, and Shamrock grabs Savage by the arm and raises it, much to the delight of the crowd.

Rating: 81%

The final match before the big main event, and a match that has been brewing ever since The Great Muta attacked Hulk Hogan at the behest of the Taskmaster, and a victory at Souled Out for Muta followed by a brutal assault only furthered the ire of Hogan, thus turning this return match into a No DQ brawl.

Match Eight

NO DQ Match

Hulk Hogan vs The Great Muta (w/The Taskmaster)

The Taskmaster accompanied Muta to the ring and gets involved almost immediately, distracting Hogan to allow Muta a cheap shot from behind, only for Hogan to read their plans and duck, leaving The Taskmaster reeling from a savate kick by Muta. Hogan seemed to be on his A game and ready to destroy Muta, as he took him outside the ring and made use of the guardrails, the ring apron, the steps and the announce tables to batter Muta from pillar to post, even picking up a chair to sandwich Muta between it and the ringpost. As Hogan rolled Muta back into the ring, he wasn’t prepared for a mist shot to the eyes and the match was swung into Muta’s favour, who after putting Hogan to the mat with a savate kick, began to bite at Hogan’s forehead! Reaching for his spike in the kneepad, Muta aimed to stab Hogan in the face with it but luckily for Hogan he was able to get his bearings and roll out the way, leaving a puncture wound in the ringmat! Hogan leaves the ring as Muta comes after him with the spike and as The Taskmaster cuts off his route, Hogan has no choice but to go for Muta. Muta stabs with the spike, but Hogan grabs the hands and blocks it, before rocking Muta with a huge headbutt to the bridge of the nose, allowing Hogan to steal the spike from him.

Spinning it about in his fingers, Hogan goes to jab Muta with it, but a kick to the groin stops him in his tracks and Muta adds to the pain by ramming Hogan headfirst into the announce table and the ringpost, cutting Hogan slightly open, which Muta looks to exploit by again biting away at Hogan as he is down on the mat. Two dragon screws leave Hogan primed for the figure four which Muta applies expertly and has Hogan in heaps of pain. The crowd are fully behind Hogan and he seems to draw upon this, slowly rolling the move over until he has the leverage and all the pain is on Muta! Muta scrabbles to the ropes and makes it, although he has suffered his fair share in the move also. Muta tries to retain the offensive and whips Hogan into the corner ready for the handspring elbow but as he hits it, Hogan shrugs it off! Muta hits him with a kick, nothing, a punch, nothing…and Hogan begins to Hulk Up before dropping Muta to the mat with one punch! A bodyslam follows and then a suplex, before Hogan appears to be getting ready for the legdrop. The Taskmaster sees this and attempts to distract Hogan as he discretely slides a chair in for Muta. Muta picks up the chair and goes to hit Hogan with it, only for Hogan to turn around and hit the big boot into the chair, crashing the chair into Muta’s face! With Muta down, Hogan punches The Taskmaster in the face to knock him off the apron and hits the big legdrop for the 1,2,3!

Winner: Hulk Hogan

The crowd are going wild, and Hogan duly obliges with some of his trademark poses before heading back up the runway. As Kevin Sullivan stands in the ring berating The Great Muta for his loss, some unknown music hits the PA system, and lights go out in the arena, save for one spotlight up at the top of the rampway. Out from behind the curtains come five Japanese men wearing suits, fanning out into a V formation before turning back to kneel in front of the entrance way. A few seconds later, Kensuke Sasaki and Hiroyoshi Tenzan make their way onto the rampway, one standing either side of the entrance before finally Masahiro Chono, wearing a long black jacket, black sunglasses and smoking on a cigar appears from the entranceway to a mixed reaction, some boos and some cheers. The five men get up as Chono walks past them, and they then follow him down to the ring as does Sasaki and Tenzan, Chono grabbing a mic before he enters. The lights have since come on, and Chono is standing in the middle of the ring, flanked by the five suits.

Chono: Keiji, what have you reduced yourself to? You snivel around and take commands like you are a nobody, when you know that you should be standing tall, a man of honour, a man of pride. I’ve come here to restore that in you, Keiji.

Muta seems confused as to what to do, whilst The Taskmaster looks more than a little annoyed about the 8 men standing in the ring opposite him.

Chono: Muto, if you want to stand here and take orders like a dog, then I will let you do just that…but I’ll come back personally and destroy you myself. Our ties may be strong, but don’t think that it means anything if you let me…..and the others…down.

Muta shuffles towards the Taskmaster, almost as if cowering away from the 3 New Japan wrestlers in front of him…only to turn around and blast Sullivan with the green mist! Sullivan staggers back blinded, falling through the middle rope and to the ringside. The crowds cheers subdue almost immediately, as Muto shakes hands with Chono before the whole group leave.

With a long show behind us, the WCW World Title Match is the Main Event of the show, as The Giant challenged both Sting and Lex Luger to meet him in a handicap match, the title going to whichever of the two could defeat him.

Main Event

WCW World Title Match

The crowd are firmly behind the challengers, although as is the nature of the potential outcome, the crowd is pretty split between who they would prefer to win the title at the end of it, Sting just about the favourite. Sting starts the match up and tries initially to use his speed to take it to the Giant, hitting and moving until The Giant gets him into a corner and almost lifts him out of his boots with a huge chop! Sting is quick to duck under the second one and begins to hit and move again, only to get caught in the opposite corner, where he is this time on the end of a huge right hand. Sting manages to avoid the next move and wisely tags out to Luger. Luger runs straight at The Giant with a shoulderblock that barely moves the big guy, a move that he follows up with to similar non effect. The third time he goes for it, no effect and is followed by a clothesline from The Giant that puts Luger down to the mat! Picking him up, The Giant picks up Luger and hiptoss/throws him halfway across the ring, back into his own corner almost in contempt! Sting and Luger have a small discussion, and Luger heads back to do battle. A clothesline this time doesn't move the big man, nor the second time, but as The Giant goes for a one of his own on the third one, Luger ducks it and comes off the far ropes with a running forearm, staggering the Giant! Sting gets into the ring and a couple of dropkicks later, The Giant has hit the mat hard! Luger goes for the pin, only to get just a one count and a vigorous kick out. Luger starts to put the boots to The Giant and upon getting him back up to his feet, goes for a slam and surprisingly manages to lift the Giant off his feet and dump him back down to the mat! Luger tags out to Sting who is quick to get to the top rope and nail a big splash off the top for a 2 count. As the Giant gets back to his feet, Sting whips him into the corner and goes for the Stinger Splash. The Giant shrugs it off, grabs Sting by the throat with both hands and launches him over the top rope and to the floor in one move!

Luger is into the ring and begins to pepper away at the Giant with a little more success than Sting, again rocking the Giant with thunderous lefts and rights, before whipping him into the rope and dropping the big man with a clothesline that shook the ring. The crowd were on their feet as Luger seemed to be in control of the Giant, who was shaken by the onslaught. One more running forearm had the Giant down and ready, as Luger locked him into the Torture Rack! Luger began to jump around to add strain to the move, only to get hit with a chair to the back by Sting! The crowd begin to howl in dissaproval as Luger drops the Giant and is then cracked around the head with the chair, leaving him lying on the mat and lacerated heavily! Sting looks around as the crowd turns on him with a smirk of happiness, before grabbing the Giant's tree trunk legs and turning him over into the Scorpion Deathlock! Sting seems to have the match won, but the Giant uses the power in his legs to power out of the Deathlock, changing Sting's expression from one of complete control to one of abject horror. A few punches and an Irish whip allow Sting to go once again for the Stinger Splash, but this time the Giant catches him with one hand, driving him hard into the mat with the chokeslam! 3 seconds later, and the Giant has retained!

Winner: The Giant, still WCW World Champion

Rating: 77%

The crowd aren't happy, not only with The Giant's victory, but Sting's betrayal also. With the Giant standing tall in the ring, belt in hand, the camera fades out on a shot of a heavily bleeding Luger a few feet from a fallen Sting.

-----------------------------------------------

Card Rating: 77%

PPV Buy Rate: 1.36

------------------------------------------------

OOC: I ditched the commentators to see how it went without them, I might change it back depending on how I feel in the future.

News And Notes

- Though shown on camera last night during the Chono/Muta/Taskmaster segment, there is no concrete plans to use Hiroyoshi Tenzan or Kensuke Sasaki as of the moment. Sasaki and Tenzan may be used in the future though. Masahiro Chono however is on contract and is expected to team with Muta in the coming weeks. .

- Ric Flair is scheduled to return to WCW television at Monday Nitro, after nearly a month off screen

- There have been some new additions to the WCW Cruiserweight division, though WCW are keeping tight lipped as to who they have signed. There is also some discussion about a potential tournament concept similar to New Japan's Best Of The Super Juniors, though these plans are in the early stages of development.

- Paul Ellering has been signed to a WCW contract, though the obvious concept of him managing the Road Warriors seems to have been ignored.

OOC: Didn't wanna make another post, but just thought I'd add some newsbits out of interest, and because it covers some aspects I felt needed to be covered, especially the first part of what I posted.

-

Edited by liamwannabe