The Grand Tour. (Top Gear is dead).

K

Top Gear in name only is pretty much what Top Gear was once they reformatted it from "show about reviewing cars" to "middle aged lad bants with some car reviewing" was it not? :shifty:

Yeah, I find the whole "you can't possibly do Top Gear without the same three presenters!" argument particularly baffling given that it managed alright for twenty plus years the first time around, and even since they brought it back in 2002 at least one series didn't have James May in it. It'll probably change drastically with new hosts, some people will like it, some won't, but people will still watch it unless the Clarkson/Hammond/May Netflix thing gets much bigger and the BBC quietly put it out to pasture.

And, to recycle a joke I used on Twitter and Facebook, Quentin Wilson must be turning in his career's grave.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I find the whole "you can't possibly do Top Gear without the same three presenters!" argument particularly baffling given that it managed alright for twenty plus years the first time around

I suppose when they say this, they mean less "you couldn't have another viable TV show" and more "you couldn't have another massively successful TV show that earns the BBC all that lovely cash"...

Top Gear in name only is pretty much what Top Gear was once they reformatted it from "show about reviewing cars" to "middle aged lad bants with some car reviewing" was it not? :shifty:

Yeah, I find the whole "you can't possibly do Top Gear without the same three presenters!" argument particularly baffling given that it managed alright for twenty plus years the first time around, and even since they brought it back in 2002 at least one series didn't have James May in it. It'll probably change drastically with new hosts, some people will like it, some won't, but people will still watch it unless the Clarkson/Hammond/May Netflix thing gets much bigger and the BBC quietly put it out to pasture.

And, to recycle a joke I used on Twitter and Facebook, Quentin Wilson must be turning in his career's grave.

Don't forget Tiff.

Also, you forgot Quentin's superfluous second L. Poor Quentin. So irrelevant.

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The films were as entertaining as always, but James and Richard just seemed so sad that this was the last one without being able to say anything about it.

I really can't see how a replacement can do any better, and I just hope there's a new show with these three elsewhere.

I loved the elephant in the room.

I didn't love the fact that there wasn't a message of some sort at the end. I sort of expected something thanking Jeremy for his years of service to Top Gear.

The only thing that actually angered me was them leaving in Jeremy saying "I hate working on Top Gear" during the SUV race. I can't think of any other reason to leave it in than for either a huge dose of irony or vindictiveness.

Didn't they already announce it or was it still being finalised? In any case a Netflix deal is on the way from what I've heard.

There was a paper (Daily Mirror? Can't remember) a month or two back reporting that they were "in talks" with Netflix.

I didn't love the fact that there wasn't a message of some sort at the end. I sort of expected something thanking Jeremy for his years of service to Top Gear.

The only thing that actually angered me was them leaving in Jeremy saying "I hate working on Top Gear" during the SUV race. I can't think of any other reason to leave it in than for either a huge dose of irony or vindictiveness.

I'd be surprised if anyone other than the Top Gear team decided to leave it in for irony.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the things he recorded after his firing already. He came back in to do some VO work, and you never saw his mouth when he said it.

I already believe that Top Gear will be dead. But if the 3 do get a new show and its on at the same time as Top Gear, then Top Gear will die even faster.

And I hope that Netflix does air the new show over here in the U.S., as I have no desire to see Top Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May. I don't even watch the U.S. version, but that's mainly because Tanner Foust is the only one on it that doesn't suck.