• Kane and Rob Van Dam def. Three Minute Warning
  • Test def. D'Lo Brown by DQ
  • The Hurricane def. Chris Nowinski
  • Dave Batista def. Spike Dudley
  • Jacqueline, Trish Stratus and Stacy Keibler def. Victoria, Ivory and Molly
  • Booker T def. Christian
  • Arm Wrestling: Scott Steiner def. Triple H
  • Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler def. William Regal and Lance Storm

Other Notes: Eric Bischoff announced that Triple H would defend the World title against Scott Steiner at the Royal Rumble. 3MW argued amongst themselves following their loss to Kane & Rob Van Dam. The Dudley Boyz interference lead to JR & Jerry Lawler getting the win over William Regal and Lance Storm. Goldust continued to be taunted by opponents as being the “weak link” of the tag team champions.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SmackDown! - January 2nd, 2003

- The show gets underway with Team Angle making their way down to the ring. Kurt hypes up how wonderfully awesome his two young protégés in Haas and Benjamin are, before talking some trash about Benoit and Lesnar. This leads to GM Stephanie McMahon coming out and giving the youngsters a chance to prove themselves in tag team action against .. GASP .. BROCK & BENOIT .. TONIGHT! I hear good things about Haas and Benjamin, let’s see how they go with the big boys. (93)

- Chavo Guererro d. Billy Kidman - Solid cruiserweight action in the first matchup of the evening. Chavo is accompanied by Eddie to ringside, who decides to exercise his colour commentating abilities. Quick pace to start off with, chain wrestling ahoy. The bout slows down and the finish looks near as Kidman goes up to the top rope, signalling for the SSP! Not happening though! Eddie sneaks in and shoves Kidman off of the top rope with the ref distracted! Chavo rolls the champ up, before reaching out and holding his uncle’s hands to get some extra leverage. 1-2-3 and that’s all she wrote. (75, 64, 86)

- A-Train d. Tajiri - Shave your back chants as we start this one off. Tajiri comes out with a flurry of stiff kicks in the early going. He continues with some exciting offence before A-Train flattens him with a boot to the head. The big man continues to dominate with some slow, plodding offence before eventually hitting the Train Wreck for the win. Meh, it was an Albert match, what do you expect? (68, 66, 71)

- Paul Heyman’s in the back standing by with Big Show. He’s hyping the big man, saying that he’s … well, BIG! The two talk trash about Brock Lesnar, saying that he CAN’T beat Big Show. They then turn their attention to the Royal Rumble, which apparently Show is going to win. Pft, I fucking hope not. Apparently Show’s going to send a message to Brock later on tonight. (92)

- Big Show d. Spanky - Shockingly, the young up and comer Big Show managed to get over the top of Spanky here. This was a big piece of SQUASH pie of course, ending in under two minutes. It was still cool to see Spanky though, hopefully he will have some kind of future on the “A” show. Show hits the Showstopper for the win. (67, 69, 63)

- We see Brock Lesnar arriving in the backstage area, when he’s confronted by Matt Hardy. Matt taunts Brock, starting to go on one of his Mattitude rants before he’s suddenly cut off by the fact that he’s BEING THROWN INTO A WALL! Heh, that was great. Brock should do that more. (77)

- Edge & Rey Mysterio d. Matt Hardy & Shannon Moore - Winners get a title shot against Los Guererros at the Royal Rumble. Matt comes out looking a little sore from his encounter with the wall. Shannon starts it out with Rey and we get a nice little cruiserweight exchange before Edge is tagged in. Edge takes control and dominates Moore for a while. Matt gets tagged in and gets the upper hand after an eye gouge. The match continues and eventually turns into four man brawl with the ref losing control. Rey whips Moore into the ropes, he comes back and is SPEARED by Edge! 1-2-3, goodnight. The winners celebrate as Matt slaps his MF follower around a bit. (82, 80, 85)

- The champs Eddie and Chavo cut the celebrations short however, making their way out to the top of the stage and trash talking their RR opponents with the usual crazy Mexican banter. Eddie says he’s sorry to spoil their little celebration holmes, but if they think they’ve got a chance of winning the tag titles from Los Guerreros, they must be crazy essa! EST DAS LOCA?! That should be a great match. (71)

- In the locker-room Kurt Angle is giving his boys Haas and Benjamin a motivational speech, telling them to go out there tonight and show the entire world just how talented they are. Kurt says that he’ll be out there to make sure Brock and Benoit don’t cheat their way to victory. (89)

- Chris Benoit & Brock Lesnar d. Team Angle - Kurt accompanies his boys out to the ring on crutches. The rookies show some excellent teamwork in the early going, taking Benoit by surprise and controlling the bout with some innovative double team moves. It doesn’t last long however, as Brock is tagged in and begins to dominate. He tags Benoit in who hits the Swandive Headbutt which gets a 2 count. Brock sets up for the F5 on Haas when Angle comes in looking for a crutch shot. Benoit grabs the crutch out of Angle’s hands though and smacks it across Kurt’s back. F5 on Haas and that’s the end of the match. Benoit and Lesnar’s celebration is shortlived however as Big Show storms the ring and attacks both from behind. This leads to a four on two beatdown, which eventuates in Big Show Chokeslamming Brock through the announce table! Haas and Benjamin hold Benoit down, allowing Kurt to smack him across the head with his crutch! The show goes off the air with Team Angle, Big Show and Paul Heyman standing tall! (80, 79, 81)

Show Stats

(Overall Rating: 79 ; TV Rating: 6.04; Attendance: 7541)

Glad to see someone doing a 2003 diary. Anyways, Pretty good Smackdown. You're lucky you're doing this in 2003, When Smackdown had the best talent. I'm looking forward to the killer tag title match at the Rumble. I liked the way the matches were written too. I look forward to seeing how you handle things in 2003, And what will happen at the Rumble as well.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for the RAW brand.

WWE WEEKEND RECAP

Velocity – January 4th, 2003

• Jamie Noble & Nunzio d. Crash Holly & Chuck Palumbo (74, 61, 87)
  • B2 d. Funaki (64, 54, 74)
  • John Cena d. Rikishi (67, 71, 59)
Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 62; TV Rating: 0.99; Attendance: 7515)

Heat – January 5th, 2003

• Steven Richards d. Spike Dudley (59, 60, 73)
  • The Hurricane d. Chris Nowinski (63, 66, 75)
  • Test d. Rico (62, 70, 70)
Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 60; TV Rating: 0.99; Attendance: 7502)

Edited by HYA

Good to see a 2003 diary.. I always wanted to do one but couldn't find a working scenario :(

I like the way you've written it almost as if it was an internet recap, and you haven't just blatently stated what happening. Gives it a little more when reading.

Hopefully you'll do the Steiner/Triple H feud better then the WWE did, also hopefully (its one of your aims) you'll stick with this one because I was enjoying your 2002 one!

Keep it up (Y)

RAW – January 6th, 2003

- Kicking off the show, Triple H and Ric Flair stroll on down to the ring. Didn’t see that one coming. The champ trash talks Steiner, implying that he's not the sharpest knife in the draw - NO! HHH says that this isn't WCW, this is the REAL big leagues, and Steiner doesn't have what it takes to be the man here. He says that Steiner is a disgrace to this business and this company. Well that’s a bit mean. This leads to Steiner coming out to a nice pop. He says that he’s not here to talk trash, he’s here to kick some ass, and challenges Tripper to a Rumble preview tonight! Before Triple H can reply, Flair cuts him off and says that the champ shouldn’t be competing with a title match so close. But if Steiner wants a fight, he’s got BATISTA later on tonight! (81)

- Rob Van Dam vs Chief Morley – RVD controls the early going before hitting a split legged moonsault for a two count. He goes up top, but Morely catches him with a right hand. Morley hits a superplex. 1-2, kickout by RVD. A series of quick reversals and near falls take place before RVD nails a spinning back kick. RVD goes to the top rope and does the thumbs .. 5 Star Frog Splash! RVD makes the cover for the win! Wow, that was really awesome. I forgot Morley could be good. (85, 78, 93)

- Rico is being interviewed in the back by Lillian. She asks about 3MW’s argument on the last edition of Raw. Rico says that there may have been a little incident the other week, they’re back on the same page, and he guarantees a win over the tag team champions tonight. (70)

- Booker T & Goldust vs Three Minute Warning – This is non-title folks. Rico continues to interfere in the early going, which eventually leads to him getting the Golden Globes from Goldust. Jamal attacks Goldy from behind and 3MW continue to overpower him. After a long while, Booker gets tagged in and cleans house. He knocks Jamal over the top rope before hitting the Scissors Kick on Rosey for the win. After the match Goldust looks a little dejected, despite the win. Ah, the weak link angle continues! This was a surprisingly good match, what show is this and what happened to Raw? (80, 75, 86)

- In the back Regal and Storm are talking about how humiliating it was losing to JR and King two weeks ago. The duo guarantee to even the score with the Dudley Boyz. Regal says revenge is a dish best served cold. Somewhat of a dull promo for these guys. (71)

- Kane vs Christopher Nowinski – Kane dominates right from the get go. A number of power moves lead to the eventual Chokeslam, which ends the bout in under three minutes. Sqqqquash. Next please. I guess they didn’t have anything for Kane tonight. (74, 72, 76)

- We’re in the back now where the eccentric Ric Flair is hyping up his man Batista. Flair basically verbally sucks cock, talking about what a dominating, unstoppable machine his client is. Flair says that nobody can stop him, especially not Scott Steiner .. while Batista flexes his muscles. Naitch rocks. (95)

- Chris Jericho & Christian vs The Dudley Boyz – Edge and Christian were right, the Z’s at the end of the Duds name do suck. Remember folks, winners get a shot at the titles at Royal Rumble. Exciting start to the match with a hot crowd behind Bubba and D-Von. No real formula to this bout, just an intense, wild four man brawl. Late in the match, the Dudleyz look for the 3D, when suddenly Storm and Regal appear. Storm distracts the referee, while Regal levels both Dudleyz with a pair of brass knucks to the head! Christian crawls on top to make the cover, and we've got a new set of number one contenders. (87, 86, 89)

- We now cross to what appears to be a pre-taped promo from Shawn Michaels. This is a pretty generic HBK promo, targeted at the Royal Rumble. He guarantees he’ll be winning his 3rd rumble and heading on to WrestleMania, cause he’s the show stopper, the main event .. you know the deal. (90)

- Christian and Jericho are returning to the back, looking happy with their win, when they run into Booker & Goldust. Jericho says that they’ll be walking out of the Rumble with the tag team titles, all they have to do is target the weak link. He and Christian laugh and walk off, while Booker tries to tell Goldy to ignore them. Aww, everyone’s so mean to poor Goldy. (88)

- Scott Steiner vs Batista – This one is a slower paced, hard hitting brawl right from the beginning. The brawl continues with Steiner in control until Flair and HHH get involved. They both slide in to the ring, one after the other, and Steiner levels them both with some stiff .. and I mean stiff .. clotheslines! Steiner locks in the Steiner Recliner and Batista looks in trouble! Before he can tap, Flair and HHH storm the ring and attack BPP, as the ref calls for the DQ. The two on one doesn’t last long however, as Steiner takes control and sends Flair and HHH over the top rope with big right hands! The show goes off the air with “Freakzilla” standing tall in the ring, starring down the ramp at an intimidated Triple H! Steiner looked good in this one. Him and Tripper just might put on a decent show at the Rumble, fingers crossed. (80, 79, 81)

Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 82; TV Rating: 5.56; Attendance: 7507)

Edited by HYA

WRESTLING NEWS & NOTES: 1/7/03: TNA; Shawn Michaels; Steve Austin; Royal Rumble

• Both TNA and CZW have made hefty roster cuts in recent weeks, in an attempt to cut costs.
  • Shawn Michaels has recently praised fellow RAW superstar Christian in a radio interview. Michaels stated that Christian was an exceptional talent, who should be a topliner for years to come. HBK said that he’d like to work with Christian somewhere in the near future.
  • Rumour has it that Steve Austin will be returning prior to WrestleMania. He’s apparently in great shape at the moment, and has a few more matches left in him. Austin has supposedly expressed interest in a program with World champion Triple H upon return.
  • Officials have very high hopes for the WWE title match scheduled for the Royal Rumble. Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit are considered to be the two best in ring workers on the roster, and this is expected to be a MOTY candidate.
Currently Scheduled for SmackDown!

Eddie Guererro vs Edge

CW Title #1 Contenders Match: Nunzio vs Jamie Noble vs Tajiri

Rikishi vs John Cena

Wow my second reply in like half an hour, but quick updates are always good :)

RAW was a good show liked how Steiner was definitly shown as a believable number one contender.

Hope you go somewhere with Regal and Storm because i always liked them two as a team, and thought they would have done good together had it not been for Regal's illness IRL.

Curious to see what storylines you'll come up with for Kane and HBK, and i'm also very interested on where the whole Goldust thing is going. :)

Well written Diary. I loved your joke about Flair Verbally sucking cock. The only negative I have is that I can't believe Scott Steiner would have such a good match with anyone at this time. I remember watching him during his come back and he was a shell of his former self. I guess he is living up to all the hype now.

RAW was good. I hope RVD and Kane are headed for pushes, Though, They were buried over on RAW back in 2002, So it would take alot of work to make them threats again. I can see Goldust turning on Booker, But I hope they stay together. The tag title match should be good for the Royal Rumble. I'm also wondering what you'll do with the HBK/Jericho feud. Keep it up. (Y)

SmackDown! – January 9th, 2003

- Nunzio d. Tajiri & Jamie Noble – The show kicked off with cruiserweight action, with the winner of this one earning a title shot on next week’s SmackDown! Nunzio and Noble double teamed Tajiri in the early going, but eventually it turned into every man for himself. The finish came when Nunzio hit his cousin Jamie with the Sicillian Slice. After the match Noble wasn’t too happy, but after a few words from Nunzio, the two made up with a handshake and hug. How sweet. (78, 63, 93)

- In the backstage area Chris Benoit enters Stephanie McMahon’s office. Benoit says that he wants a chance for some revenge against Team Angle, tonight. Steph is happy to help, making a handicap match for later in the evening. What did we learn from this segment? Benoit needs a manager .. and Steph needs a new voicebox. Or better yet, a grenade to the face. (87)

- John Cena d. Rikishi – Cena was accompanied by Bling Bling Buchanan, my personal favourite. While the rap on the way to the ring was entertaining, this match was not. Being the evil scumbag he is, Cena went downstairs late in the match with a low blow, enabling him to hit the Death Valley Driver for the win. (70, 71, 68)

- Paul Heyman is in the back with Big Show once again, hyping up his client. Heyman talks about last week when Show Chokeslammed Lesnar through the announce table. He says that nobody has ever man handled Brock like that before. Heyman reminds us that Show is 7 foot and over 500 pounds, and that there is NOBODY that will be able to throw him over the top rope at the Royal Rumble. (87)

- Matt Hardy hits the ring and starts ripping in to Brock Lesnar. Matt talks about being thrown into the wall last week, and says that’s just not on. He says Brock can’t go around ambushing people like that and get away with it. This leads to Matt calling Brock out for a match right now. Good idea Matt. (80)

- Matt Hardy d. Brock Lesnar – Brock started dominating Matt right from the get go and it looked as if it were going to be an easy victory for Lesnar. However, as Lesnar beat Matt around ringside, Big Show came running down the ramp and attacked Lesnar. The two began brawling up the aisle and eventually to the back. The ref than called for the bell, awarding the match to Matt Hardy via count out! (84, 85, 84)

- In the locker-room now, where Kurt Angle is seen giving Haas and Benjamin some tips on their match with Chris Benoit later on this evening. When Kurt notices the cameras in the room, he gets angry and demands the cameraman get “the hell” out immediately. Damn cameramen sons of bitches. (90)

- Eddie Guererro d. Edge – Good bout here, and a good sign of things to come for the tag title match at the Rumble. Chavo’s interference would prove to be the deciding factor in the end, as he distracted Edge, allowing Eddie to sneak in a quick rollup out of nowhere to get the three count. After the match Los Guererros began to double team Edge, but before any real damage could be done, Rey Mysterio came sprinting down to the ring and cleaned house. The team teams then had a STAREDOWN! Nothing builds the tension like a good stare. (83, 84, 83)

- A video package is shown, featuring highlights of the career of The Undertaker. Apparently he’s coming back at the Royal Rumble. Cool, that kid’s all right. (81)

- Chris Benoit d. Team Angle – This week’s main event .. was like last week’s main event, minus Brock! Heaps good! Team Angle controlled the bout, before Benoit came home with a flurry of big moves. Kurt tried to get involved with the crutches once again, and once again, he failed. Benoit made Shelton tap to the Crossface in the end. After the bout, Benoit got the aid of a steel chair, before sliding back in to the ring and taunting all three members of Team Angle to come in to the ring and ambush him now. A furious Kurt Angle looked on as the show went off the air. (80, 76, 85)

Show Stats:

Overall Rating: 81 (+2); TV Rating: 5.37 (-0.67); Attendance: 7513 (-28)

Good Smackdown! once again. Everything seemed to fit into place and continue the storylines nicely.

I was happy to see Nunzio win the triple threat as I hoped he would... but I woder if you'll create any further tension between Nuzio and Noble?

John Cena was best as a heel and I hope you keep him that way and keep B2 around also.

Everything else was as expected and was pretty good.. this made me laugh though

.. and Steph needs a new voicebox. Or better yet, a grenade to the face.

Keep up the good stuff :)

WWE WEEKEND RECAP

Velocity – January 11th, 2003

• Billy Kidman d. Shannon Moore (78, 57, 100)
  • A-Train d. Crash Holly (67, 60, 75)
  • Chavo Guererro d. Funaki (79, 62, 96)
Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 66; TV Rating: 0.99)

Heat – January 12th, 2003

• The Hurricane d. Steven Richards (77, 69, 85)
  • Lance Storm d. Spike Dudley (75, 66, 84)
  • Jeff Hardy d. Rodney Mack (67, 58, 74)
Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 66; TV Rating: 1.16)

Currently Scheduled for RAW

Winner Gets #30 In Royal Rumble: Shawn Michaels vs Kane vs Rob Van Dam

Contract Signing: Triple H and Scott Steiner, for their World title match at the Royal Rumble.

Test vs Dave Batista

Christian vs Goldust

Well written Diary. I loved your joke about Flair Verbally sucking cock. The only negative I have is that I can't believe Scott Steiner would have such a good match with anyone at this time. I remember watching him during his come back and he was a shell of his former self. I guess he is living up to all the hype now.
Edited by HYA

It's fairly realistic to begin - the only thing I don't like is how you're jobbing out Team Angle in both of their matches. In real life, they opened up with questionable finishes in singles matches against Benoit and Edge, and were threatening for the tag titles two months later - but here, together, they can't beat Benoit? I know you're trying to build to Angle/Benoit, but it seems like it's happening at the expense of Haas and Benjy.

RAW – January 13th, 2003

- The Dudley Boyz storm down to the ring with their serious faces on to open the show. They’re so super pissed off about Storm & Regal costing them a shot at the tag team titles last week, that they’re demanding a match with the culprits right here tonight! The Bischmeister comes out and says that if they want a chance for revenge, they’ve got it – he makes a 3 vs 2 handicap match for later on, with Morley, Storm and Regal against The Duds. I don’t think that’s what Bubba and D-Von had in mind, but what the hell. (76)

- Dave Batista d. Test – Both men had managers by their side for this one, in Flair and Stacey. Test looked impressive early on, getting off to quick start and taking the upper hand. However, Batista began to wear his opponent down and went on to dominate the rest of the match, before hitting the Demon Bomb for the win. Man, that was a good match, I bet nobody saw that coming. (79, 79, 89)

- Hold up, we’re not done with Batista just yet. Following his win, Flair gets on the mike, saying that Batista is the most impressive superstar to ever step foot in a WWE ring, and this Sunday, he’s going to win the Royal Rumble. Does this sound familiar? Raw’s equivalent of Big Show/Heyman anyone? (92)

- We’re in the locker-room now where Booker T is trying to hype up a dejected Goldust about his upcoming match with Christian. Booker’s trying to convince Goldy that he’s not the weakest link, telling his partner to go out to the ring and prove it tonight. Goldust tries to look pumped, but he’s obviously not feeling it. As the great band Spoon once said, “you gotta’ feel it.” Hell, if Booker T doesn’t inspire you, who will? (83)

- Eric Bischoff is in his office when Chris Jericho barges in. Y2J is pissed about not being a part of the main event tonight, to determine who enters the Rumble at #30. Eric says that Jericho has a tag team title match he should be preparing for. Jericho says he’s well aware of that, but the fact is, he’s still in the royal rumble, and he deserves to be in the match later on tonight. Bisch eventually agrees, and tonight’s main event is now a four way. (92)

- Christian d. Goldust – It looked as if the old Goldust might have been back early on, as he took the upper hand. However, Christian turned the tide of the match with a low blow. Christian then continued to control the match, eventually hitting the Unprettier for the win. Goldust wasn’t happy after the match. Sook. (79, 80, 80)

- Triple H is being interviewed in the back about his RR match with Scott Steiner. Is he worried? Why do they ALWAYS ask that?! He says that Steiner is a tough man, and can throw a decent punch or two, but when it comes to wrestling, he’s quite simply, not good enough to hang with “the game.” He says that the thought of Scott Steiner as World Heavyweight champion is a laughable. For as much shit as Tripper cops from the IWC, he’s pretty dang good. (85)

- RVD is doing all those weird ass flexible stretches in the back when he’s approached by Kane. Kane says that they’re a great tag team, but in tonight’s match, and in the Royal Rumble, it’s going to be every man for himself. He won’t hesitate to throw RVD out if he has to. Apparently RVD feels the exact same way. Excellent. (82)

- Lance Storm, William Regal & Chief Morley d. The Dudley Boyz – The numbers game consistently proved to be the ultimate factor in this one. Every time it looked as if Bubba and D-Von had the match, the three on two advantage would prove otherwise. In the end a flag shot to the head, followed by superkick from Storm was enough to earn the win for the Administration. (79, 78, 80)

- It’s contract signing time everyone! The red carpet is laid out as Bischoff comes down to the ring, before introducing the champion Triple H and challenger Scott Steiner. As always happens with these things, the two talked trash, before it erupted into a brawl. Eventually a number of officials came and broke it up. This match at the Rumble is either going to be really good, or suck giant balls. And I mean GIANT balls. (81)

- Chris Jericho d. Shawn Michaels, Kane & Rob Van Dam – Before the start of the match, Bischoff appeared over the titantron and announced that this match was now a Battle Royal. RVD was first to go, being eliminated by his partner Kane. Jericho then snuck up from behind and eliminated Kane, leaving Y2J and HBK to battle it out. After a five minute brawl, Michaels eliminated Jericho, but the referees were distracted and didn’t see the elimination. This allowed Jericho to sneak back in the ring and dump an unsuspecting HBK over the top rope for the win, securing the #30 spot for the Royal Rumble this Sunday! (87, 89, 84)

Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 83; TV Rating: 5.62; Attendance: 8026)

Good updates. Smackdown was good, I'm hoping Matt Hardy gets pushed after his big win over Brock Lesnar. I'd sure to love to see it. RAW was also a fun show, Especially with the battle royal. Though, It would have been cooler to see like twenty guys from the RAW brand fighting for #30. I hope Goldust comes out of his slump, As I don't want him to end up turning on Booker T. I'm hoping you mention the Royal Rumble match more over on Smackdown, Everyone on RAW has been talking about, But no one except Big Show over on Smackdown have said anything about it.

Keep up the good work. (Y)

WWE NEWS & NOTES: 1/7/03: TNA; Kurt Angle; Funaki; Dudley Boyz

• There has been a steady decline in buy rates for TNA’s weekly pay per views in recent months. This isn’t a good sign for the Jarretts.
  • Kurt Angle will wrestle on this week’s edition of SmackDown! His recovery from knee surgery has gone much better than expected.
  • It is rumoured that Funaki is in line for a push over the next few months. There has even been discussion about a possible return for former Kaientai member Taka Michinoku.
  • Officials are said to be very pleased with the reactions The Dudley Boyz have been getting since their reformation at Survivor Series.

Currently Scheduled for SmackDown!

Six Man Tag: Los Guererros & Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit, Edge & Rey Mysterio

Cruiserweight Title: Billy Kidman vs Nunzio

Brock Lesnar vs Hardcore Holly

Matt Hardy vs Rikishi

SmackDown! – January 16th, 2003

- Cruiserweight Title: Billy Kidman d. Nunzio – The last stop before the Royal Rumble opened with a fast paced title match up. Nunzio did his best to ground Kidman, using his mat-based arsenal. But in the end, the champ retained after hitting the Shooting Star Press for the victory. (77, 69, 86)

- We cross to the GM’s office where Stephanie McMahon has an announcement regarding this Sunday’s Royal Rumble. She goes on to announce Brock Lesnar will face Big Show at the PPV, with the loser of the match entering the Royal Rumble match at #1. Fair enough. (82)

- Shelton Benjamin d. Tajiri – Since their debut, Team Angle were yet to walk away with a win, and were determined to change that as Benjamin took on Tajiri. Haas provided a quick distraction, allowing Shelton to nail a picture perfect super kick. This was enough for the three count, and the first win for Angle’s protégés. Is it just me or has Tajiri been jobbing a lot lately? (78, 70, 87)

- Chris Benoit is warming up in the back, when he’s approached by #1 interviewer Funaki-son! He tries to get some comments about the WWE title match this Sunday, but Benoit cuts him off, saying that he’ll do his talking in the ring. Umm, OK. Well I guess that’s better than Benoit doing his talking .. not in the ring. Because he generally sucks at that. (79)

- It’s time for our weekly dose of Mattitude! Matt Hardy comes down to the ring and brags about his win over Brock Lesnar on last week’s show. He says that he proved that nobody can overcome the power of Mattitude, and he’s without question, the favourite to win the Royal Rumble this Sunday. He’s eventually cut off by Rikishi, and it’s time for some wrestling. Aww .. fuck off Rikishi. He’s so 2000. (81)

- Matt Hardy d. Rikishi – This was your average brawl. Rikishi looked for the Stinkface late in the match, only to back right into a low blow from Matt Hardy – V 1aaahhh! Matt then hit the Twist of Fate for the win. Nothing bad here, nothing great either. (75, 76, 75)

- Edge and Rey Mysterio are warming up in the back, discussing their match with Los Guererros this Sunday. Edge says that they can lie, cheat and steal all they want, but it’s not going to stop he and Rey from walking out with the titles at the Rumble. Rey says that tonight, Eddie and Chavo are going to get a little preview of what’s in store for them this Sunday. Did we really need this? Mysterio makes me angry. (81)

- Brock Lesnar d. Hardcore Holly – Brock squashed old Sparky in convincing fashion, as he should have. There’s not much more you need to know here. Brock wins with the F5. (74, 73, 75)

- Brock gets on the mike after his career-making win over the superstar that is Hardcore Holly, and says that he can’t wait three days to kick the Big Show’s ass, he wants to do it right now! Show answers the challenge and Brock meets him halfway down the ramp. The two brawl up the aisle and eventually end up in the backstage area, before it’s eventually broken up. (70)

- Chris Benoit, Edge & Rey Mysterio d. Los Guererros & Kurt Angle – This was a hot main event to kick off a pretty poor edition of SmackDown! This was a great match, with all six men bringing their A game and maintaining a high level of intensity. Pushing the twenty minute mark, Benoit made Eddie tap to the Crossface, putting an end to a great contest. The show went off the air with the winners celebrating. Could this be a sign of things to come? Could these three men walk out of the Royal Rumble with gold around their waists this Sunday? Order the RR to find out folks. It’s a hot card, and should deliver big time. (86, 84, 88)

Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 79; TV Rating: 6.23; Attendance: 8044)

Velocity - January 18th, 2003

• B² d. Kendrick (64, 55, 73)
  • Bill Demott d. Crash Holly (65, 55, 75)
  • Jamie Noble d. Funaki (82, 64, 100)

Show Stats:

(Overall Rating: 63; TV Rating: 1.07)