WWF 1996

Backstory (Recap of 1995)

The NEW Generation: Good or bad?

After the WWF began losing fans and ratings in 1995 mainly because of the competition, WCW, many people thought this “New Generation” the WWF was promoting just didn’t work out, there were rumors about bringing back the “Golden Era” of wrestling to the WWF, with big men ruling the business just like WCW was doing at the time. By 1996, WCW was based mostly in WWF has-beens from the 80s-early 90s, examples of this were Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Lex Luger and others. While WWF was showcasing new kind of performers in the figures of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, and so on…

In a very opportunistic move, WCW premiered a new live TV Show in the same time slot of WWF’s Monday Night RAW, WCW Monday Nitro. With this, WCW began to reach the nº1 spot in wrestling promotions. Of course, Vince McMahon wasn’t happy about this, and he knew it was time for a change…

By January 1996, WCW and WWF are both in the number one spot in wrestling today, with WCW with a slight advantage. Meanwhile, an underground wrestling movement started to show, ECW Extreme Championship Wrestling… Which promotion will reign supreme? And which one will sank so badly it will probably cease operations? Find it out, this is the true story of WWF in 1996… Finding Identity

Edited by UltraBill

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IPB Image

Monday Night RAW

Play-by-Play: Vince McMahon

Color Commentator: Dok Hendrix

Air Date: 1/1/96

“It’s live, uncensored, uncooked and uncut! It’s Monday Night RAW!”

Monday Night RAW opens with the usual video package, let's get ready for action.

Vince McMahon: Welcome everyone, to Monday Night RAW! I’m Vince McMahon along with Dok Hendrix, we’re live from Newark, Delaware, and what a night is going to be.

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Vinnie Mac, the World Champion Bret Hart, will be in action against my favorite country music singer, Jeff Jarrett.

Vince McMahon: The British Bulldog will take on Billy Gunn, and many more action, but now, two former tag team partners collide, as The 1-2-3 Kid takes on Marty Jannetty!

The 1-2-3 Kid Vs. Marty Jannetty

Before the match starts, the two former partners stare down for a while, then the action begins with lock-ups and headlocks before turning out into an OK match, although the bout itself is quite entertaining, it lacks in-ring psychology, which probably hurts the match rating. In the final moments of the bout, Jannetty throws The Kid to the turnbuckle after The Kid misses a Spinning Heel Kick, but Jannetty ducks a splash attempt in the turnbuckle, then, The Kid capitalizes with a roll up with a hand full of tights.

The Kid celebrates his victory with his manager Ted DiBiasse after the match.

WINNER: The 1-2-3 Kid by Pinfall

OR: 71 CR: 65 MQ: 77

Vince McMahon: Not this way! Marty Jannetty has been screwed!

Dok Hendrix: Well Vinnie, the only thing that matters now is that The Kid got the victory.

He fears no man and feels no pain

A video is played, showing a city in the middle of an earthquake, destruction, buildings falling off, storms and darkness, while a dangerous voice shout quotes like “I fear no man and I feel no pain” and “It’s time, It’s time, it’s time for the pain game”, the video ends with Jim Cornette saying “Camp Cornette will finally become bigger, at the Royal Rumble” Probably hinting the debut of some big monstrous man.

OR: 78

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The bad guy meets the weird guy

When RAW returns, Razor Ramon is standing in the ring, with a mic in hand.

Razor Ramon: Well, oh well… There’s some gold freak backstage who thinks he can have some of the oozing machismo Razor Ramon has… Well I tell ya’, chico, you’ve been saying, that Razor Ramon is so sexy, that you’re feeling, attracted to the bad guy. Well, you’re right! Razor Ramon is, kinda hot… but Goldust, let me tell ya’, The bad guy likes… chicks, not freaks. And I don’t want you to keep buggin’ me, cause, dude, I have nothing to do with you and you have nothing to do with me.

Goldust music hits the arena and the Golden One comes down the aisle with a mic in hand to confront Razor.

Goldust: So… my precious Razor, my beloved Razor… I know, what are your true feelings for me, you don’t have to be so shy… The Golden One understands, you just don’t want to get to the climax of this movie so fast, I’ll just wait, and see. But it seems you have some gold, and I feel lacking some gold. Take on me! Take on me, Razor! On January, 21st, at the Royal Rumble, for the Intercontinental Championship.

Razor Ramon: Wo, wo… Don’t you dare touching the Bad Guy, chico, Razor, I really don’t want to mess with weirdo like you, so why don’t you take your director chair and… and your golden make-up and get out of here…

Goldust: Razor, Razor, see, you’re just a naughty boy, you don’t want to face your destiny… you belong here, next to me, in my director chair… but, well, if you want to wait, hey I can wait. But somehow, someway, I’m going to make you never forget the name of…(sniffff) Goldust!

Razor leaves the ring with a sign of disgust, Goldust looks weird as always.

OR: 76

Cornette wants some gold

Dok Hendrix: Vince, what the heck happened out there?

Vince McMahon: Uh, I don’t know… I really feel kind of confused, eh… anyway ladies and gentlemen, standing by, is Todd Pettengill with, I believe, Camp Cornette...

(Backstage Area)

Todd Pettengill: That’s right Vince, I’m here at backstage along with Jim Cornette, Owen Hart and The British Bulldog. Jim Cornette, one of your clients, the British Bulldog, is scheduled to face one half of the Tag Team Champions, Billy Gunn, now, the other client of yours, is now known as “the man who knocked out Shawn Michaels”, what do you think about that?

Jim Cornette: You know, Todd, I don’t care, what people think about Owen Hart, everybody here knows he’s the best technical wrestler in this business today, and I’m sure Owen will face one-on-one that punk Michaels… however, I would like to talk about something more important, an that is gold, specifically, tag team gold. You see, my protégés, Owen Hart and Yokozuna lost their tag team championships to those rednecks known as The Smoking Gunns, and tonight the British Bulldog is facing one of the Gunn brothers, Billy, so, I would like to issue a little challenge, a challenge to the Smoking Gunns, a challenge to the Tag Team Champions. My boys here, Bulldog and Owen, will take, will rip you off your Tag Team championships. I’m challenging you two to a match, at the Royal Rumble, you face the British Bulldog and Owen Hart for the tag team titles. And that’s all I have to say by now.

Cornette leaves the backstage area.

Todd Petengill: Alright let’s go back to Vince McMahon and Dok Hendrix at ringside.

OR: 81

(Ringside)

British Bulldog w/Jim Cornette vs. Billy Gunn

Bulldog dominates the match most of the time, although Billy Gunn is able to get some offense against the powerful Englishman. These two have similar styles, as they are both brawlers/grapplers, which benefits the match rating. By the finals moments of the contest, the Bulldog counters an Irish Whip attempt by Billy and executes an amazing Running Powerslam followed by a pin.

Proving that he could do anything to get some gold, Jim Cornette viciously attacked Billy Gunn with not one, but two racket shots after the match.

WINNER: The British Bulldog by pinfall.

OR: 74 CR: 77 MQ: 71

Jim Cornette gained overness from this segment.

Vince McMahon: What a brutal assault on Billy Gunn! Oh my goodness!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Interview with Double J

Vince McMahon: We’re back to Monday Night RAW after a totally despicable act from Jim Cornette to Billy Gunn.

Dok Hendrix: Absolutely, and that proves, Vince, that Jim Cornette will do anything to recapture the Tag Team belts.

Vince McMahon: Alright, standing by, is Todd Pettengill, once again, but this time, he’s with “Double J” Jeff Jarrett, Todd are you there.

(Backstage Area)

Todd Pettengill: Yes Vince, here I am with Jeff Jarrett. Now Jeff, you have a big match tonight against the World Wrestling Federation Champion Bret Hart, and also, you have to be thinking about Ahmed Johnson, the man you’re set to face at the Royal Rumble…

Jeff Jarrett: Ha, ha. Todd, there’s nothing to worry about. That punk Ahmed Johnson is the one who should be worried. Hey, I’m angry, I’m pissed off, I really wanted to enter the Rumble itself, but it doesn’t matter, it still going to be an awesome match for Double J, as I’ll kick Ahmed Johnson’s butt so badly he won’t remember what hit him, ha, ha, ha!

Todd Pettengill: But, still, Double J, Ahmed Johnson has proved to be one of the toughest newcomers we’ve ever witnessed here in the World Wrestling Federation, you’ve got to admit, the odds are against you.

Jeff Jarrett: Odds, odds? Why should I care about the odds?! Do you know who I am? I’m Jeff Jarrett, I’ve sell more country music records than anybody in the…

Todd Pettengill: World?

Jeff Jarrett: No, Shelbyville, Tennessee... But anyway, tonight Double J is scoring a victory over the WWF Champion and at the Royal Rumble he’s going to beat Ahmed Johnson, and that’s the bottom line…

Todd Pettengill: Well that was Jeff Jarrett, and now let’s go back to ringside.

OR: 80

(Ringside)

Vince McMahon: We’re live from Newark, Delaware, and now, tag team action, as The Bodydonnas are scheduled to face Barry Horowitz and Aldo Montoya!

The Bodydonnas w/Sunny vs. Barry Horowitz and Aldo Montoya

The Bodydonnas come down the aisle as Barry Horowitz and Aldo Montoya are already standing in the ring. Not an awesome tag team performance by the glorified jobbers but they do an OK job, managing to perform a couple of tag team maneuvers. However, the Bodydonnas clearly dominate the whole match. This bout also lacks a lot of in-ring psychology. At the end, Zip distracts the referee while Skip chokes Horowitz with a wristband, then Skip executes a, seemingly botched, Frankesteiner and a pinfall to win the match.

WINNERS: The Bodydonnas by pinfall (Skip pinned Horowitz)

OR: 68 CR: 60 MQ: 77

Interview with Big Daddy Cool

While The Bodydonnas, Horowitz, and Montoya, leave the ring, the announcers hype the WWF Title Match at the Royal Rumble between Bret Hart and The Undertaker.

Jim Ross is now standing in the ring with a mic in hand.

J.R: Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome, former World Wrestling Federation champion, Big Daddy Cool, Diesel!

Diesel Blues starts playing as Big Daddy Cool comes down the aisle with a mixed reaction from the crowd.

J.R: Welcome to Monday Night RAW, Diesel. Now, asking you something many people are wanting to know… Are you ready for the Royal Rumble?

Diesel: Hi Jim, well of course I’m ready for the Royal Rumble, everybody knows I’m ready, it’s just destiny, on January 21ts, 1996, Big Daddy Cool Diesel will be the last man standing and will get a first class ticket to Wrestlemania XII to face the World Wrestling Federation Champion…

J.R: Do you realize that your good friend, Shawn Michaels will be in the Rumble as well?

As soon as J.R. says this, the crowd, specially the female and the child crowd, cheers as loud as they can.

Diesel: I know that, of course, I know Shawn wants to realize his boyhood dream, and become WWF Champion and I will support him on that, but let me tell you, there’s no way Big Daddy Cool is not walking out of the Rumble as the winner.

J.R: Now, Diesel, you had a confrontation with The Undertaker in the last edition of Monday Night RAW when the Phenom mentioned he would “fill that void in your life”, what are your thoughts on this?

Diesel: He, he. You know J.R, I lost my WWF Title at last year’s Survivor Series, and I never got my well deserved rematch, you see, everybody is avoiding me, I should be facing Bret Hart at the Royal Rumble! you know. It’s true, the WWF is avoiding me, Bret Hart is avoiding me, they are keeping me on hold, and I’m sick of that! I’m no longer a corporate puppet! Undertaker, you are known for playing Mind Games with people… Do you want to play Mind Games with Big Daddy Cool? Let’s find it out, “Phenom”.

Diesel Blues starts to play once again, as Diesel leaves the ring, again, with a mixed reaction.

OR: 95

Vince McMahon: Those are huge words from Big Daddy Cool, ladies and gentlemen, when we come back, this weeks main event, stay with us!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Vince McMahon: We’re back for more Monday Night RAW, now, before we go to our Main Event, let’s talk about one of the most charismatic individuals that ever step foot in the WWF, Shawn Michaels, who is set to return in the Royal Rumble Match.

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Vinnie Mac, let’s remember, Shawn Michaels suffered a concussion after receiving an Ezuigiri from Owen Hart and before that incident, Michaels was assaulted by a series of thugs in a night club in Syracuse, New York.

Vince McMahon: That’s right, but Shawn Michaels will return to this year’s Royal Rumble match, and let’s now take a look at Shawn Michaels career with this exclusive video package.

Shawn Michaels, Tell Me a Lie video

The same video package that has been used for the past weeks, showcasing some special moments in Shawn Michaels career, with a song called “Tell Me a Lie”. Nice, emotional desire video.

OR: 87

Non-Title Match

Bret Hart vs Jeff Jarrett

Double J comes out first with a nice heel reaction, followed by Bret Hart, with a tremendous ovation. A solid main event here, we witness a nice display of technical abilities by both competitors, it turns out to be a slow, methodical match, and it’s well received by the crowd. The ending comes when Jarrett performs a Superplex on Hart from the second rope, however, the count only gets to 2. Then, a frustrated Jarrett successfully applies the Figure Four Leg Lock, with ropes leverage but the referee is unable to see this illegal move. However, Bret, manages to reverse the maneuver into his very own Sharpshooter. Jarrett has no choice but to tap out.

The Hitman celebrates with his beloved crowd and his championship belt after the match.

WINNER: Bret “Hitman” Hart, by Submission.

OR: 80 CR: 84 MQ:72

Quick Results:

- The 1-2-3 Kid def. Marty Jannetty

- British Bulldog def. Billy Gunn

- The Bodydonnas def. Barry Horowitz and Aldo Montoya

- Bret Hart def. "Double J" Jeff Jarrett

OVERALL SHOW RATING: 79

Edited by UltraBill

THE WRESTLING NEWSLETTER

WWF announces new signings

The WWF has just announced that two well known wrestlers have signed new written contracts with the company. The first is Mick Foley, known for his independent work in ECW as Cactus Jack. The 30 year old brawler has been assigned to WWF’s Development Territory, USWA, before debuting probably later this month, it is still unknown if Foley will debuting using his Cactus Jack persona or will be portraying a new character. The other superstar is Sycho Sid, who has worked in the past with WWF and WCW, Sid was fired by the WWF in 1995, but now has been rehired. Sid will also be assigned to USWA before preparing his return to the WWF.

Edited by UltraBill

IPB Image

WWF Superstars

Play-by-Play: Jim Ross

Color Commentator: Jerry "The King" Lawler

Air Date: 1/7/96

Superstars opens with the usual video package, Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler welcome us to Stockton, CA. And it’s time for the action.

Jim Ross: Welcome ladies and gentlemen, to Stockton, California, this is WWF Superstars, I’m Jim Ross along side, Jerry “The King” Lawler.

Jerry Lawler: That’s right Ross, of course, I should be announcing RAW, not this B-Show stuff, but whatever…

Jim Ross: B-Show? You got to be kidding me, Superstars is surely, one of the top shows in wrestling today.

Jerry Lawler: Yeah right…

Jim Ross: Ladies and gentlemen, in the ring now, Salvatore Sincere who is scheduled to square off against Bob Holly

Salvatore Sincere vs. Bob Holly

Salvatore receives a nice heel reaction while Bob Holly barely gets any reaction. It seems Bob Holly will be just a jobber as long as his stays in WWF. Jim Ross repeatedly talks about Salvatore’s past in the streets of Italy. Anyway, Salvatore is able to escape out of the Alabama Slam and drag Bob down to the mat with a roll up and a 3 count.

Salvatore leaves the ring quickly and so does Bob.

WINNER: Salvatore Sincere by pinfall.

OR: 61 CR: 54 MQ: 69

Jerry Lawler: Well done, Salvatore.

Hyping the Royal Rumble!

Jim Ross: Alright folks, we’re two weeks away from the Royal Rumble, a night when we will witness Bret Hart facing a man who is, arguably, his toughest challenger, The Undertaker, for the World Wrestling Federation championship, in what it’s going to be an amazing encounter.

Jerry Lawler: You know what is going to be amazing? Bret Hart losing the WWF championship, ha, ha, ha!

Jim Ross: Folks, now let’s take you to a special video package showing both sides of this bout, the champion and the challenger.

So, a video is shown, hyping the big match between Bret Hart and The Undertaker at the rumble, with both superstars doing maneuvers and posing, staring down each other, etcetera, etcetera. Good way to hype a big match.

OR: 83

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Interview with Tatanka w/Ted DiBiasse

Jim Ross: Alright we’re back here on Superstars, now, standing by, in the backstage area, is Todd Pettengill with Ted DiBiasse, Todd are you there?

(Backstage Area)

Todd Pettengill: That’s right Jim, I’m here with The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiasse and Tatanka. Now, Mr. DiBiasse, one of your clients, Tatanka is set to face an individual you don’t like very much, I’m talking about Savio Vega. What are your thoughts about this?

Ted DiBiasse: Todd, of course I don’t like Savio Vega, that’s why I attacked him at December’s In Your House, and tonight, Tatanka, is going to beat Savio Vega, you see Todd, in this world, there are successful persons, like the Million Dollar Man, but there are also morons, there are losers, hooligans, just like Vega, Vega hasn’t done anything in his life, and that’s why Vega barely has any money, he’s almost in bankrupt. But I, the Million Dollar Man, I have more money than anybody here in the WWF! And that’s why, the Million Dollar Corporation is the undisputed dominant force in the World Wrestling Federation. Ha, ha, ha, ha!

Todd Pettengill: Alright people, that was the Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiasse, and now let’s go back to ringside.

OR: 91

(Ringside)

Jim Ross: Alright, Savio Vega, Is standing in the ring, waiting for the arrival of his opponent, the Native American, Tatanka.

Savio Vega vs. Tatanka w/Ted DiBiasse

This turns out to be a pretty good match. Tatanka dominates early in the bout with a couple of unorthodox grappling maneuvers but Vega managed to regain dominance by attacking the Native American with martial arts kicks and a few submission holds. By the final moments of the match, Savio goes to the second rope and tries to strike Tatanka with a Double Axe Handle, but Tatanka catches him and executes a Fall Away Slam, a cover, a count and Tatanka is victorious.

After the match, Ted DiBiasse enters the ring and viciously kicks Savio in the face.

WINNER: Tatanka by pinfall

OR: 73 CR: 64 MQ: 82

Ted DiBiasse gained overness from this segment.

Jerry Lawler: Ha, ha. Look at the Million Dollar Man, he’s a genius!

Jim Ross: He’s a coward, a big fat coward.

Jerry Lawler: Oh shut up!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Jim Ross: Folks, standing by is Dok Hendrix with Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Dok, are you there?

Interview with Hunter Hearst Helmsley

(Backstage area)

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Jim, I’m standing next to Hunter Hearst Helmsley, a man who stands for values like, etiquette, class, and dignity. Hunter, you have proven that you’re one of the most cocky, self-centered, newcomers we’ve ever seen in the WWF…

Hunter: You know Dok, people have been running their mouths, saying that I believe I’m better than anybody else, well I am. That’s right, I am with out a doubt, the most impressive, powerful, but most important, the classiest superstar in the World Wrestling Federation. You know, I've wanted to say this a long time ago... There are people out there, who have build their careers inside a dark world of demons, in a dark world, of adictions, well I tell you, those people have no class! They have no dignity! They are just dirty human beings. There’s a man… there’s a man in the WWF, a man who calls himself “The Snake”, a man whose career, whose hopes and dreams belong to a garbage can. This “Snake” man shouldn’t be wrestling anymore, this man should be at his cheap apartment with a bottle of his cheapest vodka, watching other people, like me, preaching the values of dignity, class, good manners and proper etiquette.

Dok Hendrix: Well... those are pretty big words, you know. Anyway you’re set to face Shinobi The Ninja tonight and…

Hunter: Shinobi who? Well, whoever that man is, I’m going to beat him just as I've beaten everybody else here in the WWF.

Dok Hendrix: Okay, that was Hunter Hearst Helmsley, back to you guys.

(Ringside)

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Shinobi The Ninja

Shinobi doesn’t get any reaction at all. Helmsley starts the action quickly by attacking the mid-section of Shinobi. Shinobi tries to fight back, but Helmsley kicks Shinobi in the gut, and performs the Pedigree. Helmsley covers 1…2…3, he got it. Geez, talking about a squash…

WINNER: Hunter Hearst Helmsley by pinfall

OR: 63 CR: 47 MQ: 79

Jerry Lawler: Hunter Hearst Helmsley is an impressive athlete.

Jim Ross: He sure is. But now, it’s time for our main event, when we return, Yokozuna takes on Fatu.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Yokozuna w/Mr. Fuji vs. Fatu

Both men come down the aisle with their respective music, the two stare down for a while before the match starts. As you probably expected, this is not a fast-paced action match at all, but as both competitors styles are quite similar, it’s not a bad brawl. Yokozuna dominates early using his weight advantage over Fatu. Although Fatu fights back Yoko on some occasions. Mr. Fuji interferes while the ref is distracted, hitting Fatu with the flag of Japan, Yokozuna then hits the Banzai Drop from the second rope followed by a pinfall and the count of 3.

Yoko and Fuji celebrate in the ring as WWF Superstars goes off the air.

WINNER: Yokozuna by pinfall

OR: 76 CR: 71 MQ: 82

Quick Results:

- Salvatore Sincere def. Bob Holly

- Tatanka def. Savio Vega

- Hunter Hearst Helmsley def. Shinobi The Ninja

- Yokozuna def. Fatu

OVERALL SHOW RATING: 75

Comments:

Sophie - WCW Worldwide are trying to compete with us, but are being destroyed in the ratings.

Edited by UltraBill

THE WRESTLING NEWSLETTER

Monday, 08 January 1996

WCW and WWF Ratings

WCW got a 2.12 television rating for 'WCW Saturday Night'!

The event was attended by 7004 people.

They made $280160 from ticket sales.

WCW got a 2.09 television rating for 'WCW Worldwide'!

The event was attended by 7043 people.

They made $281720 from ticket sales.

WWF got a 5.28 rating for 'WWF Superstars'!

The attendance level was 6027 people.

They made $241080 from ticket sales.

Edited by UltraBill

IPB Image

WWF Monday Night RAW

Color Commentary: Jim Ross

Air Date: 1/8/96

Monday Night RAW opens with the usual theme song and video package, Jim Ross and Vince McMahon welcome us to Richmond Virginia.

Vince McMahon: Welcome everyone to Monday Night RAW, we’re live, from the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia, Vince McMahon here along side J.R, tonight we’re bringing to you some unbelievable WWF action, here on RAW!

Jim Ross: That’s right Vince, The Undertaker is here tonight, at the Richmond Coliseum, and I believe, he’s ready to play “games” with Big Daddy Cool Diesel.

Vince McMahon: And speaking about Diesel, he’ll be facing Ahmed Johnson in singles action in this week’s main event. But for now, Hakushi takes on Bodydonna Skip.

Hakushi vs. Skip w/Zip and Sunny

Skip comes down the aisle first, with a nice heel reaction while Hakushi gets a mixed reaction, probably not as expected. Nice fast-paced action here, good way to start the show. The dominance in the contest exchanges time by time. Hakushi manages to outwrestle Skip with a Crucifix Powerbomb, however, Sunny distracts the referee while Hakushi covers Skip. Zip slides in the ring but ducks a Spinebuster attempt on Hakushi. Zip is thrown out of the ring, Hakushi climbs to the top rope and hits an amazing Moonsault on Skip. The ref turns around, Hakushi pins Skip and gets the victory.

WINNER: Hakushi by pinfall.

OR: 76 CR: 66 MQ: 87

Vince McMahon: What a match, what a match!

Jim Ross: Great performance by this two competitors, but although interference by Zip and Sunny, Hakushi gets the victory.

Pick your poison, Hunter

Jake Roberts music hits the arena and the crowds reacts with a big face pop, Roberts emerges from the curtains and comes down the entrance ramp with a mic in hand, looks pissed.

Jake Roberts: Hunter Hearst Helmsley, you’ve been humiliating and embarrassing people far less fortunate than you, you’ve been making fun of people who weren’t born with a silver spoon like you were, you think you’re the top dog, the franchise player. You dare to come to this ring and call, not just me, but many other people with personal problems, “dirty people”? You dare to tell me I shouldn’t be wrestling anymore, that I should sit back in my cheap apartment with a bottle of vodka and watch you preaching values? I know what you’re trying to do, you're trying to cast me as the original sinner. Well I spoke to God this morning, and he said he doesn't like you. Helmsley, I used to have a problem, It’s true, I used to live in a world, a dark world, of demons and addictions. You know, any time you become an addict or an alcoholic, there’s so much shame and guilty involved you get to the point you wish you were dying, or wish you were dead. That’s why now, my hope is to be able to help younger athletes, so they won’t make the same mistakes Jake Roberts made. Ha, ha, but with you, Helmsley, I believe in one thing and one thing only, and that’s one eye for an eye, one tooth for a tooth. You’re going to pay the price, and If you’re man enough, you will step out of that curtain and face your destiny and pick your poison right now!

Roberts drops the mic and waits for Hunter. Waits for a while, but Helmsley doesn’t answer.

Jake Roberts: Well, Hunter, that’s what I’ve expected, but don’t worry… This isn't the beginning... this isn't the end, it's not even the beginning of the end…yet the end of the beginning.

Jake leaves the ring with cheers from the crowd.

OR: 75

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Vince McMahon: Ladies and gentlemen welcome to more Monday Night RAW, now before we go to the tag team match scheduled for tonight, let’s take a look at the career of the man who will be returning at this year’s Royal Rumble, the Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels.

Shawn Michaels, Tell Me a Lie video

The same video package that has been used for the past weeks, showcasing some special moments in Shawn Michaels career, with a song called “Tell Me a Lie”. Nice, emotional desire video.

OR: 97

The Godwins w/Hillbilly Jim vs. British Bulldog and Owen Hart w/Jim Cornette

Bulldog and Owen come down the aisle as The Godwinns are already in the ring. Bulldog and Owen carry The Godwinns to an OK match, with both teams getting good offense and defense in, as Bulldog counters The Godwinns brawling style with his powerful grappling maneuvers and Owen does the same but with technical moves. By the end of the contest, Owen Hart has Henry O. locked in the Sharpshooter, however, the Smoking Gunns run down to the ring and attack both Owen and Bulldog, ending the match in a DQ. The Smoking Gunns continue the assault even after the referee calls for the bell.

WINNERS: British Bulldog and Owen Hart by DQ

OR: 76 CR: 74 MQ: 79

Jim Ross: I guess the answer to their challenge it’s a yes.

Interview with Goldust

Vince McMahon: Apparently it is. Ladies and Gentlemen, standing by is, the newest addition to the WWF broadcast team, Michael Cole, with Goldust.

(Backstage area)

Michael Cole: That’s right Vince McMahon, I’m here with one of the most controversial superstars we’ve ever seen here at the WWF, Goldust. Now Goldust, you’re set to lock up against Bob Holly, but, I would like to ask you, is this “attraction” you have for Razor Ramon… real? Or do you just want to get his Intercontinental Championship?

Goldust: (Snifff) Michael, oh Michael. You’re so young, so inexperienced, so ingenuous… My attraction to Razor isn’t just about gold, but isn’t just about “affection”, as well. It’s a complicated mixture of weird feelings You know, all of this it’s just a complicated movie, but in the end, this movie will undoubtedly get an award. I know Razor feels attracted to the Golden One, he just don’t wants to admit it because he’s a naughty, naughty little boy, and it looks to be a boy who lacks some fortitude “down there”, if you know what I mean. But it doesn’t matter, I’ll get him, somehow, someway.

Goldust leaves the backstage area.

Michael Cole: Alright ladies and gentlemen, that was Goldust, and now let’s go back to ringside.

OR: 87

(Ringside)

Vince McMahon: Alright ladies and gentlemen, when we return, Goldust faces Bob Holly and later tonight, our main event. Stay with us!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Goldust vs. Bob Holly

When we return from the commercial breaks, the match is already in progress, with Goldust apparently with the upper hand and doing his usual weird antics. This two have pretty much similar styles and could make a great brawl out of this match, however the bout doesn’t last long as Goldust squashes Holly and finishes him with the Curtain Call followed by the Shattered Dreams.

After the match, Razor Ramon, furious after the comments made by Goldust before the match, runs in and nails him with the Razor’s Edge. Razor then leaves the ring, Goldust then recovers from the attack and puts a freaky smile on his face.

WINNER: Goldust by pinfall.

OR: 79 CR: 70 MQ: 88

Jim Ross: This individual is surely the most bizarre superstar, not only in the WWF, but in the whole wide world!

Vince McMahon: You got to wonder, is Goldust really attracted to Razor? Or the only thing he wants is his Intercontinental title?

Pre-Taped interview with Bret “Hitman” Hart

Jim Ross: Anyway, folks, now we’re going to show you exclusive footage of a previously recorded interview with the World Wrestling Federation champion, Bret “Hitman” Hart.

The footage shows Todd Pettengill sited down next to Bret Hart (holding his WWF title belt) in some part of the backstage area.

Todd Pettengill: Hello WWF fans, I’m Todd Pettengill and I’m standing next to, one of the most talented performers and current WWF champion, Bret “Hitman” Hart. Hello Bret, thank you for participating in this exclusive interview.

Bret Hart: The pleasure is all mine, Todd.

Todd Pettengill: Now, Bret, you’re set to face The Undertaker at the Royal Rumble in what should be one of the toughest challenges in all your championship reign. My question is: Do you feel ready, both mentally and psychically to face The Phenom?

Bret Hart: Todd, there’s no doubt it will be a hard challenge, everybody in the WWF knows about the legacy of The Undertaker. He’s been dominating the WWF for over 5 years, he has never been defeated at Wrestlemania, but still, I’m the World Wrestling Federation champion, I’m the best there is, the best there was and the best that ever will be, and I’m going to prove that against The Undertaker on Sunday, January 21st at the Royal Rumble, because this title means everything to me and there’s no way it’s going to leave my waist. I respect The Undertaker, I respect his legacy, but at the Royal Rumble, I can assure you, I’m going to make him tap out to the Sharpshooter.

Todd Pettengill: Bret, you beat Diesel for the WWF title at the Survivor Series, however, Diesel never got his rematch, and he’s been saying that you and the WWF have been avoiding him. Do you think, that in any way, you’ve been avoiding Big Daddy Cool Diesel?

Bret Hart: Well, I think if he doesn’t get a rematch it’s not my fault, that’s responsibility of the WWF Management, it’s not my fault, that’s not my problem. If Diesel wants a rematch I can give him a rematch, but he doesn’t have to act like an idiot just because no one gave him his little precious rematch.

Todd Pettengill: Alright, Bret, thank you once again for giving us this exclusive interview.

Bret Hart: You’re welcome.

Todd Pettengill: So, let’s go back for more Monday Night RAW

(Ringside)

Jim Ross: Folks, we’re going to a commercial break, but up next, our main event, Diesel will be taking on Ahmed Johnson, in a match that certainly puts Ahmed’s undefeated streak in jeopardy. Stay tuned!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Diesel vs. Ahmed Johnson

Ahmed Johnson comes to the ring first with cheers from the crowd, while Diesel gets a mixed response. Another encounter between workers with similar styles, as this match showcases the strength abilities of both competitors. Diesel dominates early in the contest, but Ahmed manages to turn the tide after Diesel ducks a Big Boot, hurting his leg, Ahmed then successfully performs the Pearl River Plunge, but Jeff Jarrett comes down to the ring and pulls the ref out of the ring while Ahmed has Diesel in a pinning predicament. Ahmed realizes this, rolls out off the ring and executes the Pearl River Plunge on Jarrett on the concrete floor. While Ahmed is distracted with Jarrett, Diesel recovers, and pulls Ahmed into the ring, kicks him to the gut and hits the Jacknife Powerbomb on Ahmed. Diesel covers, hooks the leg, the ref recovers, enters the ring, and makes the 3 count.

Jim Ross: That Jeff Jarrett ended Ahmed Johnson’s winning streak! I don’t believe this! What a despicable human being!

While Diesel is celebrating his victory, Jeff Jarrett continues attacking Ahmed Johnson. Suddenly, the lights go out, the sound of a bell gong hits the arena as the crowd erupt in cheers. When the lights return, The Undertaker is in the ring, Diesel looks pretty shocked. The two stare down for a while until The Undertaker kicks Diesel in the gut and hits the Tombstone Piledriver on Big Daddy Cool.

RAW goes off the air with he image of The Undertaker raising his arms with Diesel laid out cold.

WINNER: Diesel by pinfall.

OR: 84 CR: 85 MQ: 83

Quick Results:

- Hakushi def. Skip

- British Bulldog and Owen Hart def. The Godwinns

- Goldust def. Bob Holly

- Diesel def. Ahmed Johnson

OVERALL SHOW RATING: 83

Comments:

Sophie - Going head-to-head with WCW Monday Nitro cost us a lot of viewers, we came out worst!

Road Agent - Ahmed Johnson and Diesel work pretty well together due to their similar styles.

Edited by UltraBill

THE WRESTLING NEWSLETTER

Sunday 14 January 1996

WCW, ECW and WWF Ratings

WWF got a 5.26 rating for 'WWF Monday Night Raw'!

The attendance level was 5037 people.

They made $201480 from ticket sales.

WCW got a 6.08 television rating for 'WCW Monday Nitro'!

The event was attended by 6514 people.

They made $260560 from ticket sales.

WCW got a 2.09 television rating for 'WCW Saturday Night'!

The event was attended by 6541 people.

They made $261640 from ticket sales.

ECW got a 0.37 television rating for 'ECW Hardcore TV'!

The event was attended by 399 people.

They made $7980 from ticket sales.

Edited by UltraBill

IPB Image

WWF Superstars

Play-by-Play: Todd Pettengill

Color Commentary: Jerry “The King” Lawler

Air Date: 1/14/96

Superstars opens with the usual theme song and video package, Todd Pettengill and Jerry Lawler welcome us to Stockton, CA. And it’s time for the action.

Todd Pettengill: This is WWF Superstars! From St. Louis, Missouri, I’m Todd Pettengill along side Jerry Lawler, this is going to be an awesome night, right King?

Jerry Lawler: Uh, who the heck are you? Oh, you’re Todd Pettengill, and you’re a no-brainer!

Todd Pettengill: Very funny, (cough) Burger (cough) King.

Jerry Lawler: Shut up you moronic idiot.

Todd Pettengill: Guys, right now, Bob Holly faces Kama!

Bob Holly vs Kama w/Ted DiBiasse

A nice, but slow brawl here. Kama dominates almost the entire match, however Holly almost scores an upset when he escapes Kama’s Death Valley Driver, grabs him, and surprisingly performs the Alabama Slam, Holly covers, but Kama kicks out with ease. Holly begins to turn the tide in the match by keeping Kama down on the mat with stomps and fist drops, then Holly manages to execute another Alabama Slam on Kama and goes for the cover, but Ted DiBiasse distracts the ref while Kama is being pinned. Kama then capitalizes once again with the Death Valley Driver and gets the pinfall.

Kama and DiBiasse celebrate in the ring after the match. It looks the Million Dollar Corporation isn’t that dominant anymore as Kama needed help from DiBiasse to beat, (sighs) Bob Holly.

WINNER: Kama by pinfall.

OR: 62 CR: 61 MQ: 69

Todd Pettengill: Kama has cheated! Kama just cheated to defeat Bob Holly.

Jerry Lawler: Wow! You’re really smart, aren’t you, Todd?

Todd Pettengill: King, stop it please. Now, people, we’re just one week away from the Royal Rumble, 30 Superstars, 1 Ring, the winner gets a championship shot at Wrestlemania XII, and how about, the WWF Championship match, The Undertaker vs. Bret Hart, Ahmed Johnson vs. Jeff Jarrett and many, many more. Let’s take you to a video package promoting this huge PPV extravaganza.

A promoting video is played hyping the Royal Rumble PPV. It basically shows clips from previous Rumble matches and also promoting the match between The Undertaker and Bret Hart.

IPB Image

OR: 85

Razor has got enough

When we return to ringside, Goldust is in the ring, with a mic in hand and looking pretty freaky as always.

Goldust: (Sniffff) Now I think everybody realizes what Razor feels for me. Last Monday night on RAW, Razor came down to the ring after my match, and hit me, he beat me down to the mat, but as he did that, he unleashed all my passion, he unleashed all my feelings and I felt so joyful, so pleased, because that showed me, and all of you, that he feels something for me, I’m someone in his life, I’m someone in his love… (Sniff). And now, I think Razor is ready to take on me, officially, at the Royal Rumble, for the Intercontinental Championship…

Razor’s music hits the arena, and the IC champion emerges from the curtains and comes down the aisle, angry and pissed off.

Razor: Goldust, you’ve been… oh, forget about it.

Razor drops the mic and goes right after Goldust. Razor destroys Goldust with anger, starting with punches to the head followed by a huge Razor’s Edge, leaving Goldust laid out cold in the middle of the ring. Razor leaves the ring with a mixed response, as some of the kids in the crowd feel kind of scared after Razor’s reaction.

Jerry Lawler: Wow! Razor has gone nuts!

OR: 89

Todd Pettengill: It looks he just couldn’t stand it anymore. Guys, remember, Razor Ramon will also be at this week’s main event, but for now, we’re heading to a commercial break, but when we return, Hunter Hearst Helmsley faces “The Dumpster” Duke Droese, stay with us!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs Duke Droese

Droese brings a full trash can to ringside, much to the despise of Hunter. Helmsley receives a great heel reaction. Anyway, Hunter gains an advantage by attacking Duke before the match starts, and dominates the early goings of the bout, but Droese is able to regain dominance by countering an attempt of Vertical Suplex from Hunter into a Brainbuster. Todd Pettengill continually remarks about the differences between the lifestyles of both superstars. After Droese ducks a clothesline from the ropes, Hunter kicks him in the gut and puts him in the Pedigree position, however, Duke reverses the move into a Back Body Drop. Duke now tries to perform the Trash Compactor, but Hunter escapes from the move and low-blows Duke from behind while the referee isn’t watching, one Pedigree later, and one pinfall later, it’s over. Very good match between this two.

As Helmsley celebrates his victory, Jake Roberts comes from the crowd, and attacks Helmsley, quickly hits the DDT and leaves Helmsley down on the mat.

OR: 70 CR: 65 MQ: 87

Jerry Lawler: Oh no! That Jake Roberts! He ruined Hunter’s victory! But it doesn’t matter, Hunter Hearst Helmsley is still undefeated!

Introducing… Team MAD!

Todd Pettengill: Well people, backstage is Dok Hendrix, with the debuting tag team we will witness tonight against The Bodydonnas.

(Backstage)

Dok Hendrix is standing next to two guys with kind of crazy looks in their faces-

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Todd, I’m standing right here next to, well, Al Snow and Marc Mero. Now, guys, you’re set to face Skip and Zip, The Bodydonnas, this is your first match here in the WWF, how do you feel about this?

Al Snow: Yeah! That’s right Dok! Of course we feel excited about this, whoa! But, hey, you forgot to mention that I am, Al S-s-s-s-now! And here, the man standing next to me, is Marc M-m-m-m-eero! And we are Team MAD!! And you know what Team MAD means Doky?! Tell him Marc!

Marc Mero: Dok, you see. M is for Marc! A is for Al, and D is for… Doritos! You know, ‘cause we both love Doritos… he, he.

Dok looks confused, as this two individuals seem to be a couple of nutcases.

Dok Hendrix: Ah… okay, well, you have to realize what kind of athletes are the Bodydonnas, there are fast, they have technique…

Al Snow: Dok!! You see, since we both got that mental breakdown simultaneously, we’ve become stronger, we’ve become faster, we’ve become crazier! Let me tell you something, Team MAD will prevail! As God as my witness, Team MAD will prevail!! Oh yeah!! Wooooo!

Marc Mero: You see, they may call us nutcases, but still, we, along with all our maniacs are going to…hey wait a minute, Al, hey Al, can you hear the voices?? Dok, can you hear the voices??

Al Snow: Yes!! Yes, Marc, I do!! Argh! Stop them! Stop them!

Dok Hendrix: I can’t hear anything…

Marc and Al: Dok! We are getting a message from the main base… Somebody ran over the cuckoo’s nest!!

Dok: Uh?

Al Snow: But it doesn’t matter! As tonight, Team MAD is running over the Bodydonnas. And boy, Skip, Zip, I tell you this… What’ cha’ gonna do, when Team MAD and all its maniacs, run wild on you!?

Mero and Snow leave the backstage area, Dok Hendrix looks stunned.

OR: 78

Al Snow debuted his new gimmick (Crazy), it got a positive response.

Marc Mero debuted his new gimmick (Crazy), it got a positive response.

Al Snow gained overness from this segment.

Marc Mero gained overness from this segment.

Zip gained overness from this segment.

Skip gained overness from this segment.

Al Snow's turn was completed, and he is now a face. Al Snow gained overness from this turn.

(Ringside)

The Bodydonnas w/Sunny vs. Team MAD

The debuting Team MAD come down the aisle with a mixed response, The Bodydonnas are already standing in the ring. Wow! This is one of the best tag team matches we’ve seen in a long time, Mero and Snow complement each other pretty well. Skip and Al start the match first, in a very technical way, with headlocks and variations of amateur wrestling maneuvers. Snow gains a slight advantage first by surprising Skip with an Inverted DDT from behind after ducking a shoulder block, then the match continues as a fast-paced, technical back and forth bout, with both teams attacking and defending. Snow tags Marc Skip tags Zip, and the match follows the same style as before and with quick tags in as well. The crowd slowly begins to pay attention to this. At one point, Skip is laid out outside the ring, Mero puts Zip in a Backbreaker position, Al Snow goes to the top-rope and jumps with a Leg Drop on Zip. Snow covers Zip. Snow covers Zip, hooks up the leg, and gets the victory!

After the match, Al and Marc celebrate with the crowd and get a good ovation after their great performance. Really good match, I mean it.

WINNERS: Team MAD by pinfall (Snow pinned Zip)

OR: 72 CR: 62 MQ: 94

Jerry Lawler: What the heck I’ve just seen, Pettengill!? What was that!? Just look at them, they’re nuts!

Todd Pettengill: But they are great athletes, there’s no doubt about it.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Interview with The Smoking Gunns

Todd Pettengill: We’re back here at WWF Superstars, and now, we’re heading to our main event for tonight. But first, let’s go backstage, Michael Cole is with the WWF Tag Team Champions, The Smoking Gunns.

(Backstage)

Michael Cole: That’s right Todd, I’m here with the Tag Team Champions, Billy and Bart, the Smoking Gunns. Now guys, you were challenged by Jim Cornette to defend your tag team titles against the British Bulldog and Owen Hart two weeks ago and Billy, you also received two vicious racket shots by Cornette. Now, last Monday night, you two attacked the Bulldog and Owen after a tag team match with The Godwinns. My question is; after all this attacks, do you accept the challenge made by Jim Cornette to face the British Bulldog and Owen Hart next Sunday night at the Royal Rumble?

Billy Gunn: You now, Michael, me and my brother have been thinking about this a lot. Now, we know the British Bulldog and Owen Hart are tough challengers, and first we didn’t wanted to face them. But after I received that racket shot by that obnoxious, despicable manager, Jim Cornette, we’ve realized that we must accept this challenge. We’re not going to let this prestigious title to lost its value, and we’re not going to let Camp Cornette keep messing around with us and insulting the Gunn last name. Right Bart?

Bart Gunn: That’s right Billy. We’re the Tag Team Champions and there’s no way we’ll back up from a challenge.

Michael Cole: Alright ladies and gentlemen, then its official, at the Royal Rumble, The Smoking Gunns will face the British Bulldog and Owen Hart for the WWF Tag Team Titles. Let’s go back to ringside.

OR: 62

(Ringside)

Todd Pettengill: Alright guys, now, a match that was featured at last year’s Royal Rumble and at Wrestlemania XI, Jeff Jarrett against Razor Ramon for the Intercontinental Championship.

Jerry Lawler: Oh boy! I have a feeling, I think, Jeff Jarrett will become Intercontinental Champion tonight, Pettengill.

WWF Intercontinental Championship

Razor Ramon © vs. Jeff Jarrett

Another great match here, almost at the level of the one we witnessed at Wrestlemania XI. Razor starts the action with a more aggressive style than the one we’re used to watch. Razor gains advantage by hitting Jarrett on his lower section, but Jarrett pokes Razor’s eyes to escape from this situation. After both men getting good offense in, Jarrett keeps Razor down on the mat for a while with a Leg Lock, but Razor is able to get to the ropes. Jarrett continues attacking the lower part of Razor, hurting his knee, like at last year’s Royal Rumble. Razor, however, manages to dominate once again after countering a Figure Four Leg Lock attempt by Jarrett, throwing him outside the ring. While Jarrett it’s at ringside, Razor recovers and sits up, but Jarrett starts to walk out of the contest. Ahmed Johnson comes down the entrance ramp and throws Jarrett back inside the ring. Razor grabs him and executes the Razor’s Edge followed by a cover, and Razor gets the victory.

WINNER: And Still WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon by pinfall

OR: 76 CR: 80 MQ: 91

The WWF Intercontinental title has gained in image.

Todd Pettengill: Great victory by Razor Ramon. Now, we’re running out of time here, we thank you for watching WWF Superstars, this Sunday is the Royal Rumble don’t miss it! See ya!

Quick Results:

- Kama def. Bob Holly

- Hunter Hearst Helmsley def. Duke Droese

- Team MAD def. The Bodydonnas

- Razor Ramon def. Jeff Jarrett to retain the WWF IC Championship

OVERALL SHOW RATING: 72

Comments:

Sophie - WCW Worldwide are trying to compete with us, but are being destroyed in the ratings.

Bret Hart - I'd like to work with Owen Hart if possible.

Head Booker - Todd Pettengill did a pretty bad job as an announcer tonight, which hurted the match ratings.

Edited by UltraBill

THE WRESTLING NEWSLETTER

Monday, January 15 1996

WCW and WWF ratings

WCW got a 2.14 television rating for 'WCW Worldwide'!

The event was attended by 6522 people.

They made $260880 from ticket sales.

WWF got a 5.41 rating for 'WWF Superstars'!

The attendance level was 6032 people.

They made $241280 from ticket sales.

Edited by UltraBill

IPB Image

WWF Monday Night RAW

Color Commentary: Dok Hendrix

Air Date: 1/15/96

Monday Night RAW opens with the usual video package, Vince McMahon and Dok Hendrix give us a warm welcome to the Bramlage Coliseum in beautiful Manhattan, Kansas!

Vince McMahon: Welcome everyone to Monday Night RAW! I’m Vince McMahon along side Dok Hendrix. We’re live, from the Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kansas!

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Vinnie Mac! We’re just 6 days away from the Royal Rumble, and tonight, we have a huge main event as a preview to the event. Ahmed Johnson and Razor Ramon team up to take on Jeff Jarrett and Goldust.

Vince McMahon: And how about, The Undertaker and Bret Hart! The challenger and the champion are here tonight! Jake Roberts will also be taking on Tatanka, and Owen Hart will be in action as well. But now ladies and gentlemen, we have Al Snow, who debuted last night on Superstars teaming up with Marc Mero as Team MAD, but tonight, Mr. Snow is scheduled to face Zip in singles action!

Al Snow vs. Zip w/Sunny

Al Snow comes down the aisle with a good face reaction. Another great technical match here, slow and methodical but with a back and forth rhythm at the same time. Zip gets the upper hand early in the match by holding Snow in a Standing Head Lock for a while, but Snow escapes the hold by throwing Zip to the ropes and receiving him with a Rear Naked Choke Drop. Snow then keeps Zip on the mat with stomps and strikes in the mid-section. The match continues with both workers gaining advantage time by time. However, Skip runs down to the ring while Zip is in trouble. Zip holds Snow from behind and Skip drives a fist right to the head of Al, but Snow moves out of the way quickly and Zip accidentally is the one who gets the punch to the face. Skip leaves the ring and Snow his version of a modified Brainbuster, the Snow Plow, followed by a cover and a victory.

Skip and Zip enter the ring and start to beat up Snow until Marc Mero comes down the entrance ramp and cleans the ring.

WINNER: Al Snow by pinfall

OR: 82 CR: 72 MQ: 92

Dok Hendrix: What a match, Vinnie! And the insane one gets the victory!

Vince McMahon: That’s right Dok, that was a great match and Al Snow gets the victory!

Dok Hendrix: And remember people, The Bodydonnas and Team MAD will all be participating at this Sunday’s Royal Rumble Match!

Vince McMahon: Absolutely, and now lets take you to a video package sponsored by Camp Cornette!

It’s time, It’s time, it’s time for the pain game!

A video is played, showing a city in the middle of an earthquake, destruction, buildings falling off, storms and darkness, while a dangerous voice shout quotes like “I fear no man and I feel no pain” and “It’s time, It’s time, it’s time for the pain game”, the video ends with Jim Cornette saying “Camp Cornette will finally become bigger, at the Royal Rumble” Probably hinting the debut of some big monstrous man.

OR: 70

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Vince McMahon: Alright ladies and gentlemen we’re back for more Monday Night RAW, standing in the ring is the Native American Tatanka who will be in action right now against Jake Roberts.

Dok Hendrix: That’s right, but also, this Sunday, Gorilla Moonson has announced that Hunter Hearst Helmsley will be facing Jake Roberts one on one. That’s got to be one heck of a match, McMahon.

Jake “Snake” Roberts vs. Tatanka w/Ted DiBiasse

Jake Roberts gets a good face pop here, while Tatanka is losing more interest every day. The two start the action quickly, and although they do not show much of an amazing display of technique, they manage to perform a good brawl. Roberts gains an early advantage, but Tatanka pokes Jake’s eyes to turn the tide. Tatanka continues attacking and goes for the Trail’s End, but Roberts escapes from behind and rolls up Tatanka, but the count only gets to 2. Roberts then throws Tatanka to the ropes, but Tatanka counters and tries to execute a Pumphandle Slam, however Jake reverses the move and is able to execute his DDT. Jake covers, 1… 2… and he got it!

Jake celebrates his victory after the match, but Hunter Hearst Helmsley runs down to the ring to beat up Roberts, but gets DDT’ed and left laid out.

WINNER: Jake “Snake” Roberts

OR: 76 CR: 66 MQ: 80

Vince McMahon: Another victory for Jake Roberts, and Hunter Hearst Helmsley has been DDT’ed once again.

Dok Hendrix: I don’t think Hunter is going to defeat Jake Roberts at the Rumble, I mean, look at him, he has been left out cold in the ring twice in a row!

30 Man, 1 Winner, This Sunday!

A promoting video is played hyping the Royal Rumble PPV. It basically shows clips from previous Rumble matches and also promoting the match between The Undertaker and Bret Hart.

IPB Image

OR: 84

Vince McMahon: What a great Royal Rumble it’s going to be. Alright, now in the ring is Marty Jannetty, who is set to face Owen Hart, right now!

Dok Hendrix: But do you know who are Owen Hart and the British Bulldog facing this Sunday?

Vince McMahon: Well, they’ll be facing The Smoking Gunns for the WWF Tag Team Titles, that is going to be a great match-up!

Owen Hart vs. Marty Jannetty

As soon as Owen walks out of the curtains, the crowd begins to boo. The bell rings, Owen taunts Jannetty, both workers lock up in the middle of the rings, but Owen quickly kicks Marty in the gut. Owen dominates the entire, but short match, until Jannetty counters a Sharpshooter attempt into a Small Package, but only gets a two count. Owen, pissed off, begins to attack Jannetty in a more intense and aggressive manner, and is finally able to perform the Sharpshooter and Jannetty quickly taps out.

After the match, Owen continues to beat up Marty, until Bart Gunn comes down to the ring, hits a Diamond Cutter on Owen and then leaves the ring.

WINNER: Owen Hart by submission

OR: 72 CR:71 MQ:76

Vince McMahon: Bart Gunn, certainly giving Owen a preview of what may happen this Sunday.

Dok Hendrix: Maybe, maybe not. Remember, anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation.

Vince McMahon: That’s right Dok. Ladies and gentlemen, we’re going to a commercial break, but stay tuned, because up next, Todd Pettengill flies all the way back to San Antonio, Texas to interview Shawn Michaels via satellite. Stay with us!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Interview via satellite with Shawn Michaels

Vince McMahon: This is Monday Night RAW! Welcome back. Now it’s time to our special, exclusive via-satellite interview with “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels. Let’s see if the connection is ready, Todd are you there?

The big screen in the Bramlage Coliseum shows Todd Pettengill sited down in a chair inside a house, next to him is Shawn Michaels. The crowd erupts in cheers.

Todd Pettengill: That’s right Vince, I’m here in San Antonio, Texas at Shawn Michaels home, and of course, next to me is the icon himself, “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels. Shawn, thank you very much for giving me and all the WWF fans this exclusive interview.

Shawn Michaels: It’s a pleasure.

Todd Pettengill: Shawn, you’re set to return to the WWF this Sunday at the Royal Rumble Match, you’ve said that this will be the first step of realizing you’re boyhood dream of becoming World Wrestling Federation Champion. Now, last year you suffered a brutal concussion at the hands of several thugs outside a night club in Syracuse, New York. Then, in an edition of Monday Night RAW, you collapsed after an Enzuigiri kick from Owen Hart. Don’t you think that at this time it’s still too early to make your return to the ring?

Shawn Michaels: Well you see Todd. Many doctors have told me that it would be much better if I keep resting for two, or maybe three more months. However, I think that this Sunday is the night. If I don’t win the Royal Rumble at this Sunday, and if I don’t go to Wrestlemania to face the WWF champion, I’ll most likely never do it, you know, and only thinking about that makes me feel even more motivated to enter the Rumble and remain as the last man standing. I’m in my prime, I’m at the best moment of my career, I’m 30 years old, and I think the time has come for Shawn Michaels to finally become WWF Champion.

Todd Pettengill: Shawn, there are 29 of them, but there’s just 1 of you. Now, last year you became the first man ever to enter the Royal Rumble as the first entrant and win the entire match. But Shawn, that was last year, now is this year. There are new superstars, as you probably know there are about 4 mystery entrants at the Rumble, times have changed. Do you think you can do it again and win the Rumble match for the second consecutive time?

Shawn Michaels: I know there will be a lot of guys up in that ring, but let me tell you, times have changed, you’re totally right, times have changed in favor of The Heartbreak Kid. Now, I have The Kliq supporting me, and the cheers and ovations from my beloved crowd will assist me to win the Rumble match.

Todd Pettengill: I understand that Shawn, but, you have to realize, to win the Royal Rumble is one thing, but winning the WWF Title at Wrestlemania is another matter.

Do you feel prepared to face the WWF Champion, whoever that may be at Wrestlemania XII?

Shawn Michaels: Of course I will, Todd. I doesn’t matter if it’s Bret Hart, or The Undertaker or even Big Daddy Cool or anyone else. The fact is, Shawn Michaels is going to Wrestlemania to win the WWF Title. I’m going to give all I have, no matter the pain, no matter the intensity, I will become WWF Champion at Wrestlemania XII, mark my words.

Todd Pettengill: Shawn, changing of subject, you’ve probably seen the actions of your good friend Diesel against The Undertaker. What do you think about this new attitude adopted by Big Daddy Cool?

Shawn Michaels: Well Diesel is, and will always be one of my closest friends no matter what happens to him, or to his attitude, he has my total support. He deserves his rematch, maybe confronting The Undertaker and taunting him wasn’t the best way to ask for it, but anyway, at this time I believe I should worry about my business and he should do the same thing, and I think he’s doing it.

Todd Pettengill: Shawn, Owen Hart was the man who knocked you out and left you unconscious at that frightening night. What are your thoughts about Owen Hart?

Shawn Michaels: Honestly, Todd. I just want to kick his butt, and I will, and that’s all I have to say about it.

Todd Pettengill: Alright, Shawn. Thank you for this interview. Good luck at the Royal Rumble.

Shawn Michaels: Thanks.

Todd Pettengill: Okay, now let’s go back to Monday Night RAW with Vince McMahon and Todd Pettengill, from San Antonio, Texas, I’m Todd Pettengill, see ya’.

The camera fades to black and we return to ringside for more Monday Night RAW!

OR: 89

Vince McMahon: We are ready now, ladies and gentlemen, for our main event of the evening!

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Vinnie Mac, the tag team match, is next!

Ahmed Johnson and Razor Ramon vs. Jeff Jarrett and Goldust

Jeff Jarrett feels a little uncomfortable teaming up with Goldust. Ahmed and Goldust start the action, Ahmed manhandles Goldust quickly but a low blow from Goldust stops Johnson’s power in the match. Goldust keeps taking on Johnson until Jeff Jarrett tags in. Jarrett goes right after Ahmed, kicking him in the mid-section and mocking him while he’s on the ground. Jarrett keeps Ahmed on the ground with a modified Leg Lock but Ahmed breaks the hold with his awesome strength. Johnson goes crawling to Razor to make the tag, and he makes it. Goldust gets the tag as well. Razor feels estranged with the idea of facing Goldust one on one, and the Golden One begins to do his weird antics on Razor. However, Razor decides to confront Goldust after all, and goes after him with a load of fury punches. Razor and Goldust continue the bout until the final moments of the match, when Ahmed and Jeff Jarrett get the tag simultaneously and both fight each other while Razor and Goldust brawl outside the ring. Jarrett ducks an attempt to execute The Stroke and Ahmed Johnson capitalizes with the Pearl River Plunge and a pinfall to get the victory.

Razor hits the Razor’s Edge on Goldust outside the ring, Jarrett quickly leaves the ring to avoid an attack from Johnson. Ahmed and Razor celebrate their victory.

WINNERS: Ahmed Johnson and Razor Ramon (Ahmed pinned Jarrett)

OR: 79 CR: 80 MQ: 80

Vince McMahon: Wow! Ahmed Johnson, the powerhouse newcomer and the Intercontinental Champion Razor Ramon get the victory!

Dok Hendrix: What a great tag team match McMahon!

Razor vs. Goldust, at the Royal Rumble!

After the match, Razor Ramon grabs a microphone and has some words for Goldust.

Razor Ramon: Yo’, Goldust, you punk, you have been buggin’ the bad guy for a long time, and it’s been enough. At the Royal Rumble, with the Intercontinental Title on the line or not in the line, I don’t care, I just want… to kick… your butt! Goldust, you, me, the Royal Rumble, I’ll make a man out of you, chico!

Goldust, who is out of the ring almost unconscious, hears what Goldust said and puts a bizarre smile on his face.

Vince McMahon: Wow! A huge challenge, It looks that, at the Royal Rumble, we’ll see Goldust against Razor Ramon! Unbelievable! What a match that’s going to be!

Dok Hendrix: You’re not kidding Vinnie Mac. This Royal Rumble PPV looks to be one of the best ever! Let’s quickly review some of the matches, Vince…

Vince McMahon: Ok Dok: Hunter Hearst Helmsley will face Jake “The Snake” Roberts, the British Bulldog and Owen Hart will challenge The Smoking Gunns for the Tag Team Titles, Ahmed Johnson and Jeff Jarrett are set to go one-on-one. Also, Razor Ramon has just announced he’ll face Goldust at the Royal Rumble. The WWF Title match between Bret “Hitman” Hart and The Undertaker, and of course, the 30-man over the top rope Royal Rumble! It’s going to be an awesome PPV extravaganza.

Dok Hendrix: And there’s a major announcement regarding this year’s Royal Rumble. The WWF is inaugurating a new program called "Free For All", to appear immediately prior to PPV events.

Vince McMahon: That’s right Dok. You see, this show will appear live on the Preview Channel, and the first ever Free For All will be transmitted before this Sunday’s Royal Rumble and will feature a four way elimination match between Savio Vega, Marty Jannetty, Tatanka and Jerry Lawler. The first man to be eliminated will enter the rumble nº1, the second man eliminated will enter nº10, the third man will enter nº20 and the winner of the match will enter the Rumble as lucky nº30. Remember, 30 minutes before the Pay-per-view, WWF Free For All, live on the Preview Channel!

Dok Hendrix: Great idea, huh?

Vince McMahon: It certainly is. Ladies and gentlemen, stay tuned, we’re heading to a commercial break, but when we return, the WWF Champion, Bret “Hitman” Hart, will be here at Monday Night RAW!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The Champion and the Challenger

Vince McMahon: Alright, we’re back to Monday Night RAW, live on USA. The World Wrestling Federation Champion, Bret “Hitman” Hart is standing in the ring, ready to speak out about his championship match against The Undertaker.

Bret Hart is standing in the ring, with his ring attire and his leather jacket, the fans give him a huge ovation.

Bret Hart: Alright. As you all WWF fans probably know, this Sunday is the Royal Rumble, and I’m set to face The Undertaker for the WWF title. Now I’ve said this many times before in the past, and I’ll said it again: I respect The Undertaker, and It would be an honor, and a privilege to wrestle him at the Royal Rumble. The Undertaker is one of the most dominant man that ever step foot in this federation, and it’s certainly one of the best in the business. However… Undertaker, I promise you, no, I guarantee you I’ll give all I have, and If it’s necessary, I’m going to wipe the ring with you, you see, respect is nothing compared to this WWF Title. Now, Deadman, you’re a tough contender, and probably I’m being seeing as the underdog, but I’m the Excellence of Execution, I’m the best there is, the best there was and the best that ever will be. And I’ll defend this title with pride, and I’ll retain it with glory, even if that’s the last thing I do, Undertaker.

A bell gongs and the music of The Undertaker hits the arena. The crowd cheers him as he comes to the ring, accompanied by Paul Bearer, ready to confront Bret Hart. The Undertaker grabs a mic and has some words for the champ.

Paul Bearer: Oh yes… oh yes! Bret Hart, at the Royal Rumble, you’ll have to face your destiny and face The Undertaker. And the creatures of the night will show their power and will end your championship reign, oh yes… oh yes, he’s come a long way for this, he’s come a long way!! He will finally become champion, oh yes!

The Undertaker: Bret Hart, this Sunday at the Royal Rumble, darkness will reign, as I, the Phenom, become World Wrestling Federation champion. Finally I got my deserved title shot, Hitman, your time has come, the end of the road, and the end of your reign… at the Royal Rumble, this Sunday, you will Rest… in… Peace…

Bret Hart: You think you have what it takes to become once again champion, Deadman? Prove it!

Vince McMahon: Oh my goodness! This two will finally meet at the Royal Rumble, what it’s going to happen!

Dok Hendrix: Well anything can happen here at the WWF!

Bret Hart lost overness from this segment

Vince McMahon: Ladies and gentlemen, this Sunday, the WWF presents the Royal Rumble, don’t miss it, this Sunday afternoon, live from Fresno, California! See you there!

Monday Night RAW goes off the air with the image of The Undertaker and Bret Hart staring down each other.

Quick Results:

- Al Snow def. Zip

- Jake Roberts def. Tatanka

- Owen Hart def. Marty Jannetty

- Ahmed Johnson and Razor Ramon def. Jeff Jarrett and Goldust

OVERALL SHOW RATING: 79

Comments:

Owen Hart - Marty Jannetty and me don't really click. How about booking me against someone like Bret Hart? I think our styles would really work well together.

Goldust - Ahmed Johnson was working too stiffly, I could have been badly hurt.

Sophie - Going head-to-head with WCW Monday Nitro cost us a lot of viewers, we came out worst!

*Also I forgot to mention on the first post, English isn't my native language so please forgive me if you found any errors in my grammar or spelling, thank you. Feedback is always welcome.

Edited by UltraBill

THE WRESTLING NEWSLETTER

Sunday, 21 January 1996

WWF, WCW and ECW Ratings

WWF got a 5.29 rating for 'WWF Monday Night Raw'!

The attendance level was 5011 people.

They made $200440 from ticket sales.

WCW got a 6.10 television rating for 'WCW Monday Nitro'!

The event was attended by 6542 people.

They made $261680 from ticket sales.

WCW got a 2.12 television rating for 'WCW Saturday Night'!

The event was attended by 6549 people.

They made $261960 from ticket sales.

ECW got a 0.32 television rating for 'ECW Hardcore TV'!

The event was attended by 382 people.

They made $7640 from ticket sales.

Edited by UltraBill

FREE FOR ALL PRE-SHOW

WWF Free For All

Air Date: 1/21/96

Free For All opens with an outside shot of the Selland Arena in Fresno, California. Jim Ross and Vince McMahon welcome us to the first ever WWF Free For All pre-show.

Vince McMahon: Alright, welcome everyone to the Selland Arena, we’re live from Fresno, California, this is the first ever Free For All pre-show prior to the Royal Rumble, live on the Preview Channel. I’m Vince McMahon alongside JR, and tonight we have a huge Royal Rumble, right JR?

Jim Ross: Absolutely, Vince, this is going to be an awesome night, and right now, here, at the Free For All, there’s going to be a four way elimination match to determinate numbers one, ten, twenty and thirty in the Royal Rumble match.

Vince McMahon: That’s right, now remember, the highest the entry number you get, the more possibilities you have to become the winner of the Rumble match.

Jim Ross: Exactly, now, lets remember what happened last year, Shawn Michaels became the winner of the Royal Rumble match entering at number one! Let’s take you to a video footage showing this impressive moment.

A video package is played, showing the last minutes of the 1995 Royal Rumble match, with Shawn Michaels touching the floor with just one foot and then surprising the British Bulldog from behind to win the Rumble match.

Vince McMahon: That was certainly an amazing moment in WWF history, now Shawn Michaels said he’ll be the winner of this year’s Rumble match, but there are many others tough WWF Superstars in this gigantic bout, and anyone could win this thing.

Jim Ross: Absolutely, It could be Diesel or could be Aldo Montoya, could be Owen Hart or could be Savio Vega, remember, anything can happen in the WWF.

Vince McMahon: Alright, now let’s go to the four way elimination match, what an encounter this is going to be!

Four Way Elimination Match

Savio Vega vs. Marty Jannetty vs. Tatanka vs. Jerry “The King” Lawler

Marty Jannetty is the first man to enter the match, and receives an okay face reaction, while Tatanka comes down the aisle all alone and ready for business. Savio Vega also gets a good face reaction, but Jerry Lawler comes with a mic and starts insulting the fans, Vince McMahon, and the habitants of Fresno. Vega and Tatanka go right after each other, while Lawler gets out of the ring for a while but Jannetty grabs him and pulls him inside the ring. Vega and Tatanka exchange punches but Tatanka knee smashes Vega to get the upper hand, and hits Vega with a Scoop Slam. Tatanka then goes after Jannetty, and teams up with Lawler to beat up Marty, but Marty kicks Lawler in the lower section and executes the Rocker Dropper, but Tatanka hits the Trail’s End on Jannetty and covers him to get the pinfall and eliminate Marty Jannetty. (ELIMINATION #1: Marty Jannetty by Tatanka).Lawler and Tatanka now team up to take on Savio Vega, and keep manhandling him until Vega fights back Tatanka and the two start a ruthless brawl while Lawler is outside the ring watching both man beat the crap out of each other. After brawling for a while, Tatanka goes to the top rope to hit the Tomahawk Chop, Tatanka misses the shot and Vega strikes him with a vicious Caribbean Kick. Vega pins Tatanka and eliminates him from the match. (ELIMINATION #2: Tatanka by Savio Vega). Lawler realizes of Tatanka’s elimination and quickly goes into the ring and attacks Vega from behind, however Vega outwrestles The King with ease. Lawler almost upsets Vega after applying his Piledriver following an eye rake, but Vega is able to reach the ropes during the pinfall. Vega regains the upper hand in the bout and carries Lawler on his shoulder to execute a version of a Death Valley Driver, but Lawler escapes from behind and School Boys Vega with a handful of tights to get the victory.

WINNER: Jerry “The King” Lawler

OR: 68 CR: 63 MQ: 73

Vince McMahon: The King steals this one, which means he’ll be entering the Royal Rumble as number thirty, my goodness, he stole this match!

Jim Ross: He did, Savio Vega was about to finish Lawler, but The King grabbed his tights and got the victory! I don’t believe it! Not this way!

Vince McMahon: Well, The King will be entering the Rumble at number thirty. So, we already know who are entrants number one, ten, twenty and thirty. Marty Jannetty, Tatanka, Savio Vega and Jerry Lawler, respectively.

Jim Ross: That’s right. Folks, call your cable company right know and order the Royal Rumble pay-per-view, otherwise, you won’t see anything. Thanks for joining us here on the first ever Free For All! Don’t miss the Royal Rumble!

Vince McMahon: This is going to be an awesome event and you don’t want to miss it, call your cable company and order the PPV! I’m Vince McMahon alongside Jim Ross, see you at the Rumble!

Free For All goes off the air.

IPB Image

WWF Royal Rumble

Air Date: 1/21/96

A video package is played, showing images of Shawn Michaels, Diesel, British Bulldog, Owen Hart and other Royal Rumble participants and hyping the Rumble match. Also shows footage of Bret Hart and The Undertaker performing their respective signature moves, promoting the Main Event WWF Championship match while a mysterious voice narrates in the background:

“The Royal Rumble… prestige… pride… honor… all in just one match. Tonight, thirty superstars will battle in one ring for the right of becoming the top contender to the most precious gold in this business, at the grandest stage of all professional wrestling. One man will make his return after a near career ending injury, while other will do anything to be victorious in his quest of reaching the top of this business. Anything… can… happen”

“Two man will battle a grueling match for the WWF gold, on one side, is the current champion, one of the greatest wrestlers to ever appear in the WWF, the pink and black attack itself, the Excellence of Execution, the best there is… The other, lives in a dark world of creatures and demons, a man whose unimaginable power shall always prevail dominant in our mortal world”

And now, Sports Illustrated and Nintendo present the WWF Royal Rumble!

We’ve taken inside the Selland Arena, in Fresno, California! The place is absolutely sold out and jam-packed! We get a few shots from the higher part and the entrance ramp of the coliseum. A few fireworks blast in the arena and we go immediately to the announce position at ringside, where Vince McMahon and Jim Ross are ready to announce this huge PPV extravaganza!

Vince McMahon: Welcome everyone! To Fresno, California! Welcome everyone, to the 1996 Royal Rumble! We’re live from the Selland Arena. I’m Vince McMahon along side JR, Jim Ross. What a night it’s going to be! Three titles at stake and the 30 Men Royal Rumble match!

Jim Ross: There’s no doubt this is going to be an awesome evening. I’m pumped up, Vince. The Royal Rumble match! The WWF Championship match! Razor Ramon against Goldust for the Intercontinental Championship!

Vince McMahon: And what about, Ahmed Johnson against Double J, and The Smoking Gunns defending their Tag Team titles against the British Bulldog and Owen Hart. And this is going to be a night full of surprises, JR.

Jim Ross: Absolutely, five mystery entrants at the Rumble match, Shawn Michaels will be making his return tonight and he has vowed to win the match once again. What it’s going to happen?

Vince McMahon: Well anything can happen here at the World Wrestling Federation! Alright, now let’s go to our first match, Jake “The Snake” Roberts against the Connecticut Blueblood, Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Jim Ross: That’s right, and let’s take you back two weeks ago on Superstars, Jake Roberts came down to the ring and DDT’ed Helmsley after the indirect comments made by the blueblood previously. And then, this past Monday, Jake Roberts once again DDT’ed Helmsley after he tried to interfere in a match between The Snake and Tatanka.

The footage is played, showing, effectively, Jake Roberts executing the two DDTs on Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Vince McMahon: This is going to be quite a brawl, ladies and gentlemen.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts

Helmsley comes down the aisle first to a loud chant of boos from the crowd, as Roberts gets a huge face pop from the moment his music starts, and carries his big snake Revelations to the ring. This is a highly competitive match, and Helmsley plays the role of a coward heel the entire match, even at one point begging Roberts on his knees to have mercy, ala Ric Flair. The match itself starts with both men staring down for a while, until Roberts punches Helmsley right to the head, and continues to beat up Helmsley to gain an advantage, but Hunter gets the upper hand after countering an Irish Whip attempt from Roberts and hitting a powerful Scoop Slam. Helmsley keeps manhandling Roberts with many types of maneuvers, including some submission holds with illegal rope leverage and shorts knee smashes to Jake’s legs. Roberts almost scores an upsetting DDT after reversing a Vertical Suplex from Hunter, however, the Blueblood escapes from the move just at time. Roberts fights back after a series of right hands by Hunter and once again gains advantage. Roberts almost executes the DDT, but Hunter breaks the maneuver and pulls a Brass Knuckles from his tights and hits Roberts with it while the referee is distracted. Helmsley then kicks Roberts right in the gut and hits a tremendous Pedigree and a pinfall to get the victory!

Helmsley celebrates his victory and mocks Jake while he’s completely knocked out.

OR: 78 CR: 80 MQ: 74

Jim Ross: And Helmsley steals this one! I don’t believe it, the referee never saw Helmsley hitting Roberts with that Brass Knuckles!

Vince McMahon: What a despicable act from Hunter Hearst Helmsley! But I believe this rivalry is far from over, JR!

Jim Ross: I don’t think Jake Roberts it's going to let this happen once again.

Vince McMahon: Alright now ladies and gentlemen, the next match scheduled for tonight is for the WWF Tag Team Championship, The Smoking Gunns defend their Tag Team Titles against Camp Cornette members, the British Bulldog and Owen Hart.

Jim Ross: It all started three weeks ago when Jim Cornette issued a huge challenge to the Tag Team Champions, and then, at the same night, Cornette gave Billy Gunn two brutal racket shots. After these actions by Jim Cornette, The Smoking Gunns had no option but to accept the challenge.

Vince McMahon: That’s right and just past Monday on RAW, Bart Gunn came to the ring and attacked Owen Hart after his match with Marty Jannetty. This is going to be a great match, ladies and gentlemen.

World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Championship

The Smoking Gunns © vs. British Bulldog and Owen Hart

Bulldog and Owen come to the ring first, with a great heel response and with no Jim Cornette. Billy and Bart make their way to ringside ready for business. This is a really good tag team match, focused more on a brawling and grappling style and with both teams getting good offense and defense in. Bart and Owen begin the match, with Owen dominating Bart with little difficulty, until Owen tries to hit a big Elbow Drop from the second rope but Bart moves out of the way and makes the tag to his brother Billy. Billy goes right after Owen, keeping him down with kicks to the mid section, but Owen then makes the tag to the British Bulldog, who manhandles Billy with his effective strength. Owen then grabs Billy from behind and Bulldog comes from the ropes trying to knock out Billy with an elbow smash, but Billy moves out of the way and the elbow goes directly to Owen’s face and Owen falls badly outside the ring. Billy then snatches Bulldog from behind with a School Boy but Bulldog barely kicks out. Billy then makes the tag to Bart, Bart performs a Sidewalk Slam to Bulldog and Billy goes to the top rope and hits a huge Leg Drop, that move is called the Sidewinder! The ref is out of the ring checking Owen who apparently is hurt badly, but Jim Cornette comes through the curtains accompanied by an unknown man, it’s, it’s Vader! Camp Cornette’s newest member, Vader! Vader gets into the ring and quickly hits two huge Powerbombs on Billy and Bart while the ref is outside with Owen. Vader then leaves the ring and Bulldog covers Billy, Owen then “miraculously recovers” and tells the ref to count the pinfall. The referee gets inside the ring, and counts, 1… 2… 3!

Camp Cornette celebrate their victory, all four man, with raising arms and Bulldog and Owen celebrate with their new Tag Team Championships. The Smoking Gunns are laid out cold in the middle of the ring.

WINNERS, and NEW WWF Tag Team Champions: British Bulldog and Owen Hart by pinfall (Bulldog pinned Billy)

OR: 85 CR: 84 MQ: 87

British Bulldog gained overness from this feud ending.

Owen Hart gained overness from this feud ending.

Billy Gunn lost overness from this feud ending.

Bart Gunn lost overness from this feud ending.

The WWF Tag Team titles have gained in image.

Jim Ross: Oh my god! This is outrageous! That big monster, Vader, Vader! Thanks to Vader, Bulldog and Owen are the new Tag Team Champions. This is totally unbelievable.

Vince McMahon: Jim Cornette, Jim Cornette and his… sidekicks. This is just not right.

Jim Ross: Ladies and gentlemen, we have new WWF Tag Team Champions thanks to the interference of that big mastodon Vader. The Smoking Gunns were just about to retains the titles, but thanks to Jim Cornette and Vader that all changed.

Vince McMahon: Alright, standing by is Dok Hendrix with the WWF Champion, Bret “Hitman” Hart, who is a few moments away from facing The Undertaker in the Main Event.

Interview with Bret “Hitman” Hart

(Backstage)

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Vinnie Mac, I’m here with the WWF Champion, Bret “Hitman” Hart. Now Bret, tonight you’ll be facing The Undertaker for the WWF Title. Now, just a few moments away from that so expected contest, do you feel ready to face The Undertaker one on one?

Bret Hart: You know Dok, this is going to be one of my toughest challenges, you see, when you’re Champion, you don’t look forward to defend your title against someone like The Undertaker, because you’re often been looked as the underdog, but let me tell you, tonight, this underdog is going to walk out of that ring as the WWF Champion, because this underdog is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best there is, the best there was and the best that ever will be, Undertaker, I’m ready, I’m confident and I feel completely motivated to have a great match with you and successfully defend my WWF Title, if that’s the last thing I do.

Bret leaves the backstage area.

Dok Hendrix: Alright ladies and gentlemen, that was Bret “Hitman” Hart giving his last comments about his match with The Undertaker, let’s go back to ringside.

OR: 84

(Ringside)

Vince McMahon: Alright, now, “Double J” Jeff Jarrett making his way to the ring about to lock up with Ahmed Johnson!

Jeff Jarrett vs. Ahmed Johnson

Ahmed Johnson gets a hot face response with cheers and ovations. Double J looks kinda frightened with the idea of wrestling a big man like Johnson. Ahmed dominates the first half of the match, using, of course, his strength advantage and although Double J is able to counter some moves, Ahmed always remains dominant. Jarrett does a great job selling Johnson’s power. However in the middle of the bout, Jarrett turns the tide after hitting a huge big boot right to the face of Ahmed when Johnson was attempting to hit a Corner Splash, and eventually locks Johnson in the Figure Four Leg Lock, but Ahmed refuses to tap out, and successfully reaches the ropes. At the end, Jarrett whips Ahmed to the ropes trying to perform a Back Body Drop, however, Ahmed counters the attempt by hitting an impressive Pearl River Plunge and a pinfall to get the victory as the crowd explodes in cheers.

Ahmed Johnson celebrates in the middle of the ring with the cheers from the crowd.

WINNER: Ahmed Johnson by pinfall

OR: 81 CR: 84 MQ: 77

Vince McMahon: Ahmed Johnson scores another impressive victory! What a powerhouse athlete this is!

Jim Ross: He certainly is, not many people can say they have scored a pinfall over Jeff Jarrett. Ahmed Johnson is one of the most promising shining stars here in the World Wrestling Federation.

Vince McMahon: Well ladies and gentlemen, we’re a few moments away from the Royal Rumble match, but first, we have a grueling match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship, Razor Ramon, the current champion, takes on Goldust.

Jim Ross: Let’s take you now to a video package taking a look at this heated and strange rivalry between this two men.

A video is played showing Goldust’s WWF debut, Goldust sending flowers to Razor and the constant mind games between the two.

Vince McMahon: Alright ladies and gentlemen, standing by is the Intercontinental Champion, Razor Ramon along with Dok Hendrix, Dok are you there?

(Backstage)

Interview with Razor Ramon

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Vince, I’m here with the WWF Intercontinental Champion, “The Bad Guy” Razor Ramon. Now Razor, you’re just about to face the most bizarre individual

that ever step foot in this federation, Goldust. This man has confessed to feel an unusual attraction for an unusual person, you. Razor, do you feel ready, to play mind games with Goldust and successfully defend your championship?

Razor Ramon: Dok, I’ve have never felt any more ready and confident to take on that punk. Goldust, tonight, you’re going down to the bad guy, you know, chico, there’s now way I’m losing this title to a freak like you, and when I’ll hit you with the Razor’s Edge and cover you for the 1, 2, 3, you’ll realize you better not mess with “Da’ Bad Guy”, chico.

Razor leaves the backstage area.

Dok Hendrix: Alright, that was Razor Ramon and now let’s go back to ringside.

(Ringside)

World Wrestling Federation Intercontinental Championship

Razor Ramon © vs. Goldust

Goldust comes to ringside first, with a mixed reaction, while Razor gets a gigantic face pop and loud cheers from the crowd. Razor brawls Goldust with anger, but Goldust also fights back. This two have pretty similar styles, which makes this a great match, although with not many high spots, but pretty good technique and great brawling. Razor’s aggressive style helps Goldust to gain an advantage after Razor ducks a vicious clothesline and Goldust executes a Gutbuster, Goldust then covers Razor but the count only gets to two. Goldust keeps beating up Razor with some strong, but unorthodox maneuvers. At one moment Goldust comes from the ropes and tries to hit Razor with the Butt Bump but Razor moves out of the way and captures Goldust to deliver a huge Fallaway Slam. Razor then attempts to finish Goldust with a kick to the belly and the Razor’s Edge, but some woman comes from the crowd and, while the referee isn’t watching, quickly grabs Razor’s ankle making him lose balance and dropping Goldust to the mat. Razor turns around confusedly but Goldust snatches him from behind and performs the Curtain Call! Razor is out! Goldust covers, hooks up the leg, 1… 2… 3, he got it!

Goldust and the woman celebrate with the Intercontinental Championship and the two share a kiss, it looks Goldust it’s just “weird” and not anything else.

WINNER, and NEW WWF Intercontinental Champion: Goldust by pinfall

OR: 91 CR: 95 MQ: 85

The WWF Intercontinental title has gained in image

Vince McMahon: Goldust has become Intercontinental Champion! Thanks to the interference of that woman!

Jim Ross: Goldust never was attracted to Razor Ramon, Goldust wanted Razor Ramon, Goldust just wanted the Intercontinental Championship. And he got it, playing mind games and all, and with the interference of that woman, he got it!

Vince McMahon: And I’m getting some information here, it looks this woman’s name is… Marlena, and it’s Goldust’s… wife?!

Jim Ross: Folks, we’re totally confused here, let’s just take you to a video footage before the Royal Rumble match.

A video package is shown, playing clips of previous Rumble matches and hyping the top competitors in the match. Let’s get ready to rumble!

Vince McMahon: Alright ladies and gentlemen we’re ready for the Royal Rumble match, now let’s go to our ring announcer, Howard Finkel.

The Fink: Ladies and gentlemen, it is now time, for the Royal Rumble match! Here are the rules: Earlier today, the thirty participants drew numbers at random, in just a few moments, numbers one and two will enter the ring and the match will begin, then, every ninety seconds another superstar will enter the ring according to the number he drew. Elimination occurs when a superstar is thrown over the top rope with both feet touching the floor. The last man standing, after the all other twenty nine superstars have entered, will be declared the winner, and will get a WWF Championship shot at Wrestlemania XII. Now, let us all find out, who drew number one…

1-. Marty Jannetty: Marty Jannetty, the man who was eliminated first at the Free-For-All elimination match, makes his way to the ring with little reaction, he stays in the middle of the ring waiting for entrant nº2.

2-. Skip: One half of The Bodydonnas comes down to the ring with a nice heel response. Jannetty and Skip quickly begin the action, with a lock up following an exchange of right hands. Skip whips Jannetty to the ropes and executes a Frankesteiner. Jannetty sits up, Skip tries to eliminate him already, but Jannetty fights back and reverses the situation, here comes the countdown, and it reaches to zero.

3-. Hakushi: Hakushi, the Japanese martial artist comes through the curtains and it’s ready for action. Hakushi goes right after Skip, the two exchanges some punches but Hakushi hits an impressive kick right to the face of Skip. Marty Jannetty also goes after Skip and hits a Vertical Suplex on the Bodydonna. Countdown and… zero!

4-. Phineous I. Godwinn: One of the hog farmers making his way to the ring accompanied by Hillbilly Jim and a bucket of slop. Meanwhile Jannetty and Hakushi are just about to eliminate Skip and… they do it! (ELIMINATION #1: Skip). Phineous attacks both men with a couple of headbutts and a Sidewalk Slam to Marty Jannetty. Hakushi tries to put Phineous down, but Phineous hits him with the Slop Drop! Phineous is the only man standing at the moment. Here comes the countdown… and gets to zero!

5-. Kama: Million Dollar Corporation member Kama, accompanied by Ted DiBiasse. This big man may stop Phineous dominance in the match, the two brawl for a while before going to the ropes trying to eliminate each other. Meanwhile, Hakushi and Jannetty are exchanging fists in the middle of the ring. Kama is going to eliminate Phineous… but no! Countdown… 10… 9… 0!

6-. Mabel: King Mabel, another big man entering the Rumble match. Mabel grabs both Jannetty and Hakushi while they are brawling and tosses them over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #2 and #3: Hakushi and Marty Jannetty). Kama joins forces with Mabel to eliminate Phineous, and they’re about to do it, but Phineous keeps holding the second rope. Once again, the countdown… here we go!

7-. Henry O. Godwinn: It’s Henry O.! Henry O. Godwinn comes to the rescue of his cousin Phineous. Henry grabs both Kama and Mabel and headbutts them to each other! Henry then tries to throw Mabel to the ropes, but it’s too heavy. Phineous goes running after Kama, but Kama captures him and hits the Death Valley Driver… over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #4: Phineous I. Godwinn) Henry is alone between this two big men. Countdown… zero!

8-. Marc Mero: One half of Team MAD, Marc Mero gets inside the ring with a huge size disadvantage, but Mero, crazy as always, goes after Kama, and kicks him in the mid-section, comes from the ropes and takes him down with a Cross Body Block! Unbelievable! Mabel and Henry O. are now battling in the ropes, trying to score an elimination, but Henry O. barely escapes from being eliminated. Here we go once again, the countdown! And it reaches to zero!

9-. Yokozuna: It’s Yokozuna! Camp Cornette member Yokozuna, on his way to the ring. Yokozuna, quickly grabs Kama by the head and tosses him over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #5: Kama) Mabel is just about to be eliminated by Henry Godwinn, but Yokozuna comes and splashes Mabel to outside the ring! (ELIMINATION #6: Mabel). Marc Mero and Henry Godwinn, form an unusual alliance against the five hundred pounds Yokozuna. Henry tries to take down Yokozuna, with a couple of fists to the head, Mero goes to the top rope, and hits a Flying Splash on Yokozuna, but Yokozuna barely even moves! Countdown 10… 9… 0!

10-. Tatanka: Tatanka, another Million Dollar Corporation member, and the second man eliminated at the Free For All elimination match. Tatanka surprisingly joins forces with Henry and Mero and the three try to beat down Yokozuna, they take him to the ropes, but Yokozuna takes the three down with ease! Yokozuna, is standing tall in the Royal Rumble match. Marc Mero attempts to be the man who eliminates Yokozuna, only to get tossed over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #7: Marc Mero) Here we go, the countdown… zero!

11-. Salvatore Sincere: Directly from Italy comes Salvatore Sincere, and quickly gets thrown over the top rope by Yokozuna (ELIMINATION #8: Salvatore Sincere). Tatanka and Henry are back on their feet, and the two go, once again, after Yokozuna, this time they are able to show more offense, and Yokozuna is near to be eliminated once and for all. But Yokozuna fights back, huge right hand to the head of Henry, but Tatanka attacks Yoko from behind and Henry O. successfully performs the Slop Drop on Yokozuna! Yokozuna is down! Countdown! Who will join the Royal Rumble next?

12-. Aldo Montoya: Aldo Montoya, the Portuguese Man O’ War. Montoya goes right after Tatanka, driving some right hands and kicks to the mid-section, but Tatanka eventually gets the upper hand. Henry O. is now trying to eliminate Yokozuna, but Yoko once again pushes him out. Yokozuna then hits a powerful Leg Drop on Henry O. Godwinn. Tatanka, meanwhile, is just about to eliminate Aldo Montoya. But here we go, once again, with the countdown! Zero!

13-. Sycho Sid: It’s Sycho Sid! Sycho Sid making his return to the WWF, comes down the aisle with a huge ovation! Sid, quickly grabs Yokozuna and tosses him over the top rope! Unbelievable! (ELIMINATION #9: Yokozuna) Sycho Sid is looking impressive tonight, and now he goes right after Tatanka, the two exchange some fists, but Sid capitalizes, kicking Tatanka in the gut and delivering a huge Powerbomb on the Native American! Sid, is now going to eliminate Henry O. Godwinn, but we get the countdown once again! Zero!

14-. Al Snow: Al Snow, the other half of Team MAD. Al Snow quickly grabs Aldo Montoya who is laid out and tosses him over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #10: Aldo Montoya). Al then beats up Tatanka, who is still laying on the mat after that huge Powerbomb. Meanwhile, Sid and Henry O. Godwinn, are on the edge of the elimination. Henry O. kicks Sid in the gut to escape from that precarious position. Here comes the countdown, who will join this party next? Zero!

15-. Vader: Vader, the man we witnessed earlier tonight, interfering in the Tag Team Championship match. Vader goes after Sycho Sid, the two stare down for a while and they start to exchange some furious fists to the head, but Sid knee smashes Vader, to get the favorable position. Henry O. now goes to eliminate Tatanka and Al Snow attempts to do the same thing, but the Native American catches Snow and hits the Trail’s End! Henry O. grabs Al Snow and tosses him over the top rope! But Snow holds the bottom rope in the last minute. Countdown… and… zero!

16-. Fatu: Fatu, the man who wants to make a difference makes his way to the ring to join the party. Fatu and Henry O. start to brawl for a while and then the two go to the ropes to attempt to eliminate each other. Sid and Vader are hammering away, Sid is just about to get eliminated, but hits a desperate headbutt to once again, gain the advantage. Al Snow and Fatu are now trying to eliminate Henry O. and Tatanka., Fatu almost is eliminated! 10… 9… 8… 7… 6… 5… 4… 3… 2… 1… 0!

17-. Diesel: Big Daddy Cool, Diesel! Diesel comes down the entranceway with a mixed reaction, but you can still hear some cheers in the crowd. Diesel goes right after Sid, while Vader goes to eliminate Henry O. and he does it. (ELIMINATION #11: Henry O. Godwinn). Diesel dominates Sid, shades of the first ever In Your House! Diesel kicks Sid in the gut and hits the Jacknife Powerbomb! Sid is down on the mat. Diesel then goes to the other side of the ring, where Tatanka, Al Snow, and Fatu are trying to eliminate Vader. But Vader tosses Fatu over the top rope and Diesel does the same thing with Al Snow simultaneously. (ELIMINATIONS #12 and #13: Fatu and Al Snow). Countdown! BONG!

18-. Ron Simmons: Ron Simmons, former WCW Champion, making his WWF debut, Simmons goes after Tatanka, while Diesel and Vader are struggling to remain in the match. Sid then recovers from the Jacknife and tries to eliminate both Vader and Diesel but he’s not successful. Simmons and Tatanka are exchanging right hands, as Diesel, Vader and Sid are all going at each other. Simmons almost gets the Dominator Slam on Tatanka over the top rope, but the Native American escapes from the maneuver. Here comes the countdown, once again… Zero!

19-. Shawn Michaels: It’s Shawn Michaels! Shawn Michaels running to the ring as the crowd explodes in a tremendous ovation! HBK is cleaning house, right hands to Tatanka, and now to Simmons, here comes Vader, but gets hit by a Cross Body Block from Michaels, and another one for Sid, and Diesel gets some too! Shawn Michaels, making his return to the WWF! Tatanka now, is trying to fight back against Shawn Michaels, but gets Superkicked over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #14: Tatanka). Sycho Sid and Diesel are squaring off, while Vader goes after Michaels and Simmons. And here we go with the countdown once again… BONG!

20-. Savio Vega: Savio Vega, who was the runner up in the pre-show elimination match. Vega and Simmons, joining forces to beat down Vader, but the big mastodon is too enormous for this two athletes. Shawn Michaels now tries to outwrestle Vader, coming from the ropes, Cross Body Block! But Vader catches him and hits a powerful Falling Powerslam on HBK! Ron Simmons is now trying to eliminate Vader by himself, only to get Powerbombed by the huge monster. Meanwhile, Sid and Diesel are still trying to put each other out of the match, but Big Daddy Cool has a small advantage. Countdown… and reaches to zero!

21-. Bob Holly: Bob “Sparky Plugg” Holly comes down the ring, just to be quickly eliminated by Vader (ELIMINATION #15: Bob Holly). Sid now goes, once again, after Vader, and Diesel is now face to face with his friend, Shawn Michaels. The two look ready to take on each other, but they end teaming up to take on Sid and Vader. Simmons and Vega are now in the ropes in order to eliminate each other. Vega hits the Caribbean Kick on Simmons but Simmons holds on the second rope and rolls into the ring. Countdown! Who’s coming next?

22-. British Bulldog: One half of the brand new Tag Team Champions, the British Bulldog, and is ready for action. Bulldog attacks Shawn Michaels, leaving Diesel alone with Sid and Vader,. Shawn Michaels and the British Bulldog are now, brawling in the middle of the ring while Sid shockingly allies with Diesel to eliminate Vader, and they are joined by Savio Vega and Ron Simmons, but Vader is able to escape and remain inside the ring. British Bulldog hits a tremendous Powerslam on Shawn Michaels as the countdown starts… Zero!

23-. Zip: Bodydonna Zip comes running down the entrance ramp, gets inside the ring and attempts to eliminate Savio Vega, Vega fights back, but ducks the Caribbean Kick and Zip performs a Spinebuster, Ron Simmons now goes after Vader, only to get beaten down by the huge monster. Shawn Michaels now is back on his feet, trying to capitalize over the British Bulldog, Bulldog ducks a clothesline and receives a Sweet Chin Music from Michaels! Vader is now trying to eliminate Diesel, Diesel is just about being eliminated, and we go to the countdown once again! And it reaches zero!

24-. Crush: Crush, making his return to the WWF, without face-paint this time. Shawn Michaels saves Diesel from being tossed over the top rope, and goes after Vader. The British Bulldog is laid out cold after that Sweet Chin Music, and Sid tries to eliminate him. Crush and Ron Simmons are exchanging right hands in the turnbuckle, while Zip wants to eliminate Savio Vega, but Shawn Michaels superkicks both of them over the top rope. (ELIMINATIONS #16 and #17: Zip and Savio Vega). Once again, the countdown! 0!

25-. Owen Hart: The King of Harts and the other half of the new Tag Team Champions, Owen Hart makes his way to the ring and goes right after Shawn Michaels, and tosses him over the top rope! But Michaels grabs the bottom rope in the last second! Sid is just about to eliminate the British Bulldog, but Vader saves his new stable mate. Owen Hart and Shawn Michaels are now brawling in the middle of the ring, while Crush is punishing Ron Simmons in the turnbuckle. Vader and British Bulldog attempt to eliminate Sid, but Diesel grabs Vader and tries to eliminate him. We got the countdown once again, and it gets to zero!

26-. Duke “Dumpster” Droese: The garbage man makes his way to the squared circle, and goes after Crush and Simmons. Diesel is still trying to eliminate Vader, but Vader turns the tide and now Diesel is on the edge of the elimination. Sid and British Bulldog struggling to remain in the ring . Owen Hart is trying to eliminate Shawn Michaels in the turnbuckle, but Michaels is holding on the third rope. Droese and Simmons eliminate Crush over the top rope (ELIMINATION #18: Crush). Here comes the countdown… 10… 9… 0!

27-. Hunter Hearst Helmsley: The Connecticut Blueblood makes his way to the ring, with huge boos from the crowd. Simmons and Droese are fighting each other. Helmsley goes to help Owen eliminating Michaels, but Michaels fights both off. Sid and Bulldog are almost both eliminated by Diesel, but Vader comes once again attacking Big Daddy Cool. Vader and Diesel are manhandling each other. Meanwhile, Shawn Michaels hits the Sweet Chin Music on Helmsley. Countdown… zero!

28-. Steve Austin: Steve Austin, another young athlete making his WWF debut tonight. Austin quickly goes where Simmons and Droese are squaring off and eliminates Simmons from behind (ELIMINATION #19: Ron Simmons) and eventually, Droese gets eliminated by Vader (ELIMINATION #20: Duke Droese). Shawn Michaels is now trying to eliminate Owen Hart, but misses a Sweet Chin Music and Owen performs the Enzuigiri! Michaels almost goes over the top rope! Vader is just about to be eliminated by Diesel and Sycho Sid and the British Bulldog are beating the hell out of each other. Who’s number twenty-nine? We’ll find it out, right now!

29-. Jake “The Snake” Roberts: It’s The Snake! Jake Roberts entering the Royal Rumble match, and goes right after Hunter Hearst Helmsley! The two brawl for a while until Roberts hits the DDT! Diesel can’t eliminate the huge monster Vader, but soon Shawn Michaels and Sycho Sid help to get him over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #21: Vader) Vader is out of the Royal Rumble match! And now Michaels, Sid and Diesel are going after Owen and Bulldog. And it’s time for the countdown once again, the last one, and we now who is coming next!

30-. Jerry “The King” Lawler: The King, the man who won the Free For All elimination match, makes his way to the ring, and gets eliminated in less than 30 seconds by Diesel (ELIMINATION #22: Jerry Lawler). Hunter Hearst Helmsley tries to execute the Pedigree on Jake Roberts, but Roberts escapes from the move, and performs his DDT! Roberts throws Helmsley over the top rope! (ELIMINATION #23: Hunter Hearst Helmsley). Roberts is celebrating his success, but quickly, from behind, Steve Austin eliminates him (ELIMINATION #24: Jake Roberts). Sid is taking on the British Bulldog, while Diesel is beating up Vader, and Owen Hart barely escapes from a Sweet Chin Music from Michaels. Steve Austin messes up with Michaels but ends up receiving a Sweet Chin Music and goes over the top rope. (ELIMINATION #25: Steve Austin). Owen Hart misses an Enzuigiri on Michaels and gets Superkicked to the ropes, Michaels then comes running with a clothesline and successfully eliminates Owen from the match. (ELIMINATION #26: Owen Hart) We’re in the Final Four now; four men are left in the Royal Rumble match, Diesel, Sycho Sid, British Bulldog and Shawn Michaels. Sid whips Michaels to the ropes and tries to eliminate him, but the British Bulldog comes from behind and attempt to eliminate both, however, Michaels grabs the bottom rope and escapes, while Sid falls right to the floor. (ELIMINATION #27: Sycho Sid) Sid can’t believe what happened and looks at Bulldog with a vicious look, but while Bulldog is mocking Sid, Diesel comes and eliminates Bulldog with a huge forearm from behind. (ELIMINATION #28: British Bulldog). Shawn Michaels quickly sits up and Superkicks Diesel over the top rope! But Diesel remains standing on the edge of the ring, Michaels hits another Sweet Chin Music and Diesel is eliminated! (ELIMINATION #29: Diesel). Shawn Michaels celebrates his victory in the middle of the ring, Diesel comes in and stares down Michaels, but he ends congratulating him for his victory. Diesel then heads to backstage and Michaels posses for his fans

Vince McMahon: I don’t believe it! I don’t believe it! Two years in a row!

The Fink: The winner, of the 1996 WWF Royal Rumble! The Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels!

Jim Ross: Shawn Michaels did it, Shawn Michaels did it! Shawn Michaels, is going to Wrestlemania!

Vince McMahon: The boyhood dream may come true, at this year’s Wrestlemania! Shawn Michaels has won the 1996 Royal Rumble!

WINNER: Shawn Michaels (Runner up: Diesel)

OR: 67 CR: 56 MQ: 78

Crush debuted his new gimmick (Bad Ass), it got a positive response.

Ron Simmons debuted his new gimmick (Legitimate Athlete), it got a positive response.

Steve Austin debuted his new gimmick (Bad Ass), it got a positive response.

This match suffered because the crowd were still pumped up from the last one, and so this bout was seen as something of a letdown to them.

Jim Ross: What a Royal Rumble this has been, folks. But we’re not over, we’re just moments away from the Main Event, the WWF Championship Match between The Undertaker and Bret “Hitman” Hart. Two titles have changed hands tonight; will the WWF Championship be the third one?

Vince McMahon: For the first time ever this two will square off in a match that certainly will make history, tonight. Let’s take you to a video footage showing the history between these two men.

A video is played hyping the main event match for the WWF Championship between Bret Hart and The Undertaker. Will the Phenom prevail? Or the Hitman will dominate his toughest challenger? We’ll find out, NEXT!

World Wrestling Federation Championship

Bret “Hitman” Hart © vs. The Undertaker w/Paul Bearer

The challenger comes to the ring first with huge ovations. The champion then makes his way down the aisle, and he also gets an ovation, but it looks the people would prefer having The Undertaker as champion. The Undertaker looks determined to win the title, and its ready for business. The referee raises the belt and both competitors look at it for a while. The bell rings, the intensity and the energy from the crowd is amazing as the two athletes stare down each other. Bret starts the action nailing The Undertaker with some right hands to the face, but it has no effect on the Deadman, but Bret doesn’t give up as he continues to nail The Undertaker but still gets no reaction from the challenger, until the Phenom blocks a right hand from Bret and starts to beat up the champion. Bret plays the role of the underdog for the most part of the match, while The Undertaker is being shown as the dominant force in the bout. In the middle of the match, however, Bret counters an unusual Powerbomb attempt by The Undertaker into a Sunset Flip, but the count only gets to two. Bret continues to outwrestle The Undertaker by keeping him down with kicks to the knees (mainly the left one) and strikes to the mid-section; finally The Undertaker is down on the mat after an Implant DDT from Bret (After the manuever Taker's mask falls off). Bret then goes to the second rope, trying to hit an Elbow Drop, but The Undertaker sits up and chokes Bret, but The Hitman kicks The Undertaker in the gut to escape from a possible Chokeslam attempt, but the Phenom once again gains an advantage after hitting a bunch of Throat Thrusts, The Undertaker then comes from the ropes but Bret executes a Drop Toe Hold and then converts it into the Sharpshooter, but The Undertaker reaches the ropes. The Undertaker then pushes Bret off and accidentally hits the referee, Bret gets distracted and The Undertaker grabs him and hits the Tombstone Piledriver! The crowd is going wild! But there’s no referee! Paul Bearer tries to wake up the referee, but Diesel comes from the backstage and surprises The Undertaker from behind, kicks him in the gut, and executes the Jacknife Powerbomb! But Diesel is not done with him; he grabs him once again and hits another Jacknife! The Undertaker is out! Diesel leaves the ring, and Bret, who never saw Diesel attacking The Undertaker, goes crawling to The Undertaker and covers him with one arm. The referee slowly begins to recover, and the referee starts the count 1…2…3!

The crowd gives a mixed reaction, The Undertaker then sits up and goes to the back right after Diesel. Hart slowly gets up, holds the title and celebrates his victory.

WINNER and STILL WWF Champion: Bret “Hitman” Hart by pinfall.

OR: 88 CR: 89 MQ: 89

The WWF World title has gained in image

Vince McMahon: Bret Hart gets the victory! Unfortunately, he won by Diesel’s interference, but still, Bret Hart is the WWF Champion.

Jim Ross: That’s right Vince, you have to wonder, the outcome of this match may had been quite different without Diesel’s interference.

Vince McMahon: It was a highly competitive match between these two competitors, but Bret Hart got the victory.

Jim Ross: Well Vince, what a Royal Rumble this was, Vince! A huge event that only the WWF can bring to you!

Vince McMahon: Absolutely, ladies and gentlemen, we’ll be joining you next month at In Your House 6, from the Selland Arena, I’m Vince McMahon alongside Jim Ross. So long everyone!

Quick Results:

- Free For All: Jerry Lawler def. Savio Vega, Tatanka and Marty Jannetty in a four-way elimination match.

- Hunter Hearst Helmsley def. Jake “The Snake” Roberts.

- British Bulldog and Owen Hart def. The Smoking Gunns to become WWF Tag Team Champions.

- Ahmed Johnson def. Jeff Jarrett.

- Goldust def. Razor Ramon to become WWF Intercontinental Champion.

- Shawn Michaels won the Royal Rumble.

- WWF Champion Bret Hart def. The Undertaker to retain the title.

OVERALL SHOW RATING: 84

Comments:

The Smoking Gunns - That last feud was terrible for us, it has hurt our image.

Edited by UltraBill

THE WRESTLING NEWSLETTER

Monday, 22 January 1996

Royal Rumble eliminations and entrants

Order of Entry:

1-. Marty Jannetty

2-. Skip

3-. Hakushi

4-. Phineous I. Godwinn

5-. Kama

6-. Mabel

7-. Henry O. Godwinn

8-. Marc Mero

9-. Yokozuna

10-. Tatanka

11-. Salvatore Sincere

12-. Aldo Montoya

13-. Sycho Sid

14-. Al Snow

15-. Vader

16-. Fatu

17-. Diesel

18-. Ron Simmons

19-. Shawn Michaels

20-. Savio Vega

21-. Bob Holly

22-. British Bulldog

23-. Zip

24-. Crush

25-. Owen Hart

26-. Duke Droese

27-. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

28-. Steve Austin

29-. Jake Roberts

30-. Jerry Lawler

Order of Elimination (Eliminated by):

1-. Skip (Marty Jannetty/Hakushi)

2-. Hakushi (Mabel)

3-. Marty Jannetty (Mabel)

4-. Phineous I. Godwinn (Kama)

5-. Kama (Yokozuna)

6-. Mabel (Yokozuna)

7-. Marc Mero (Yokozuna)

8-. Salvatore Sincere (Yokozuna)

9-. Yokozuna (Sycho Sid)

10-. Aldo Montoya (Al Snow)

11-. Henry O. Godwinn (Vader)

12-. Fatu (Vader)

13-. Al Snow (Diesel)

14-. Tatanka (Shawn Michaels)

15-. Bob Holly (Vader)

16-. Zip (Shawn Michaels)

17-. Savio Vega (Shawn Michaels)

18-. Crush (Duke Droese/Ron Simmons)

19-. Ron Simmons (Steve Austin)

20-. Duke Droese (Vader)

21-. Vader (Diesel/Michaels/Sid)

22-. Jerry Lawler (Diesel)

23-. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (Jake Roberts)

24-. Jake Roberts (Steve Austin)

25-. Steve Austin (Shawn Michaels)

26-. Owen Hart (Shawn Michaels)

27-. Sycho Sid (British Bulldog)

28-. British Bulldog (Diesel)

29-. Diesel (Shawn Michaels)

Most Eliminations:

Shawn Michaels: 7

Diesel: 4

Yokozuna : 4

Vader: 3

Steve Austin: 2

Mabel: 2

Sycho Sid: 2

Edited by UltraBill

IPB Image

THE OFFICIAL RAW PREVIEW

Monday Night RAW comes to you live, from Sacramento, California! Vince McMahon along with Dok Hendrix will bring the exclusive Royal Rumble fallout to your TV sets, live from the ARCO Arena! Shawn Michaels, the winner of the 1996 Royal Rumble will be tonight at Sacramento talking about his victory at the Rumble match. Big Daddy Cool Diesel will also be at the ARCO Arena this Monday night. What will be his reaction after being the last man eliminated in the Rumble match? And also, why did he interfere in the championship match between The Undertaker and Bret Hart? Will The Undertaker make an appearance this Monday night? Many questions are waiting for an answer, tonight on RAW! In the matches: Steve Austin will make his RAW debut tonight, as he faces Bob Holly. Also tonight, Bulldog and Owen will make their first Tag Team Title defense against The Godwinns. Vader will be in action as well. And finally, the still reigning WWF Champion, Bret “Hitman” Hart will be taking on Hunter Hearst Helmsley in a non-title match. Don't miss, RAW tonight on USA!

Scheduled Matches:

- Steve Austin vs. Bob Holly

- Tag Team Championships: Bulldog and Owen © vs. The Godwinns

- Vader will be in action

- Bret “Hitman” Hart vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

IPB Image

WWF Monday Night RAW

Color Commentary: Dok Hendrix

Air Date: 1/22/96

Monday Night RAW opens with the usual video package; Vince McMahon and Dok Hendrix give us a warm welcome to the ARCO Arena, in Sacramento, California! We’re live, only, on USA!

Vince McMahon: We’re just 24 hours after the Royal Rumble! Welcome everyone to Monday Night RAW! We’re jam-packed here tonight at the ARCO Arena, Vince McMahon here alongside Dok Hendrix. Tonight, is a night of answers, Dok.

Dok Hendrix: That’s right, Vinnie Mac. Why Diesel interfered in the match between Bret Hart and The Undertaker? We’ll find out, tonight!

Vince McMahon: Alright, ladies and gentlemen, standing in the ring is Bob “Spark Plug” Holly, who is set to lock up against an individual we met last night at the Royal Rumble, Steve Austin.

Dok Hendrix: Absolutely, Steve Austin looked quite dominating last night; he eliminated both Ron Simmons and Jake Roberts. He’s here in the World Wrestling Federation, and it’s ready to make an impact.

Steve Austin vs. Bob “Spark Plug” Holly

Austin is looking quite impressive tonight. This is most likely a “prolonged squash”, by the way. Holly tries to get an advantage first by starting the action with a headlock, but Austin soon starts manhandling Holly with right hands and strong kicks. Austin then whips Holly into the turnbuckle and kicks him viciously in the mid-section, Holly is thrown to the other turnbuckle, and Austin catches him and performs a Neckbreaker. Austin continues manhandling Holly with several types of moves until the last minutes of the bout, when Austin grabs Holly’s head and hits his finishing move, The Stunner. Austin covers, and gets the victory!

However, Austin is not over yet, he keeps beating up Holly, and even chokes him with his wristband until two referees come to the ring to stop Austin.

WINNER: Steve Austin by pinfall.

OR: 63 CR: 63 MQ: 80

Vince McMahon: Well he’s certainly cold hearted and ruthless, ladies and gentlemen, he has no mercy for anyone.

Dok Hendrix: Well Vinnie, I’m starting to like this guy. In this business you need to have an attitude like Steve Austin, you know, when I was a Freebi…

Vince McMahon: This man’s attitude goes beyond sportsmanship, Dok, and that’s not a good thing.

Michaels celebrates, Owen challenges

After Bob Holly and Steve Austin leave the ring, we get a shot at the announce table and the announcers talk about what happened last night at the Royal Rumble, then, a video is played showing Michaels superkicking Diesel to the outside at the Rumble match.

We go back to ringside, Shawn Michaels music hits the PA system and the crowd goes wild! Michaels comes down the aisle, ready to celebrate his victory at the Rumble match!

Vince McMahon: And here comes! The 1996 Royal Rumble winner, Shawn Michaels! The man who is going to Wrestlemania! And look at this capacity crowd!

Dok Hendrix: Wow! Listen to this crowd!

Michaels enters the ring with a mic in hand and it’s ready to talk.

Shawn Michaels: Man! It feels great to be here, once again, at RAW! And it feels even better to be here after winning the Royal Rumble! Now, everybody saw last night, that I, and the Kliq proved that Shawn Michaels is going to Wrestlemania to face the WWF Champion. You see, when I managed to eliminate Big D, I realized my boyhood dream was starting to become true, I realized this is the beginning of the era of HBK and the Kliq, because now it’s a fact; at Wrestlemania XII, in the Arrowhead Pond, Anaheim, California, Shawn Michaels will face the World Wrestling Federation Champion, whoever that may be. Now, in regarding to “whoever that may be”, tonight Big D told me he has some words for the current WWF Champion, Bret Hart, but let me tell you, I doesn’t matter who is the champion at Wrestlemania, I’ll face him and I’ll win the title, and that, my friends, it’s another fact!

But also, there’s a man out there in the backstage, a man who knocked me out last year with a vicious Enzuigiri, a man who tried to end my career, who tried to stop my dream, well I tell you, Owen Hart, after all, through hell high and water, I’m going to Wrestlemania, and you are not… so, if you want to…

Owen Hart music plays, and the King of Harts comes to the ring, carrying his WWF Tag Team belt and accompanied by Jim Cornette, to interrupt Shawn Michaels celebration, the crowd boo as soon as Owen emerges from the curtains.

Owen Hart: Listen up, pretty boy, I have a match tonight, but I don’t care! You want to come to my ring, and talk trash about me, you see, you’re the winner of the Royal Rumble, you may have eliminated me from the Rumble match, but I’m the King of Harts, I’m one half of the WWF Tag Team Champions, and most importantly, I knocked you out, Michaels! I kicked you in the head and you fell right down to the mat, I almost ended your career! And you know what? I’m going to do it again! Right here, right now!

Shawn Michaels: Wow, wow. Lister, Bret’s brother… You want to face me one on one, that’s fine, I’ve wanted to do the same thing for a long time ago. But let’s make it official, you and me, one on one, in Louisville, Kentucky at In Your House #6!

Owen Hart: Ha, ha! You punk, I going to knock you out once again! I’m going to end your career, at In Your House #6! And I’ll give you a preview right now.

Hart brutally hits Michaels with the microphone! Michaels is laid out cold, Hart locks him in the Sharpshooter while Jim Cornette hits him with the racket. Owen and Cornette leave the ring in the middle of loud boos from the crowd.

Owen Hart: Michaels, at In Your House, I’m not going to just knock you out, I’m also going to kick your a$%!

OR: 95

Owen Hart gained overness from this segment.

Vince McMahon: Well, we have the first official match for In Your House #6, Owen Hart will face Shawn Michaels in singles action.

Dok Hendrix: That’s right Vinnie, but I’m also wondering, who’s Bret Hart facing at In Your House for the title?

Vince McMahon: I don’t know, Dok, we’ll most likely find out later tonight. We’re heading to a commercial break, but up next, Vader will be in action!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Vader vs. Barry Horowitz

Horowitz is already standing in the ring; Vader makes his entrance alone, ready to squash poor ol’ Barry. Right after the bell rings, Vader kicks Horowitz in the belly, and executes a Powerbomb! Then, grabs Horowitz and takes him near the turnbuckle, goes to the second rope, and hits the Vader Bomb! Vader covers 1…2…3. Can you say Squash!?

Vader raises his arms in victory, like it was a big challenge.

WINNER: Vader by pinfall

OR: 60 CR: 63 MQ: 71

Vince McMahon: My goodness, this man is a monster!

Dok Hendrix: It’s Camp Cornette’s monster.

Pre-Taped Interview with Sycho Sid

Vince McMahon: Alright ladies and gentlemen, now before we go to the Tag Team Championship match, let’s take you to a interview, taped after the Royal Rumble, with the man returning to the WWF, Sycho Sid.

The footage shows Todd Pettengill outside the locker room.

Todd Pettengill: Alright, World Wrestling Federation fans, here Todd Pettengill in this Coliseum Home Video exclusive! I’m outside of the locker room, here is where the superstars eliminated from the Royal Rumble match come all frustrated and depressed to pack their bags and go home, hey, here comes Sycho Sid!

Sycho Sid comes right after being eliminated from the Rumble match.

Todd Pettengill: Sid, could you give us an interview? This is a Coliseum Home Video exclusive.

Sycho Sid: Todd… Todd… you know, I returned to the WWF, I entered the Royal Rumble with all the support of the fans, there was no doubt I was going to win, but then all my dreams of going to Wrestlemania suddenly disappeared from my mind, you know why? BECAUSE OF THAT BRITISH BULLDOG!! BULLDOG! YOU’VE RUINED MY LIFE! YOU BROKE ALL MY DREAMS! DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU’VE DONE, BULLDOG?! YOU’VE CREATED A MONSTER!!… You see, Todd, when the British Bulldog tossed me over the top rope, I saw his face, and what he did? He mocked me; he mocked me in my own face… AND THAT’S SOMETHING YOU DON’T WANT TO DO WITH SYCHO SID!! I had the overwhelming support of all the WWF fans; they were chanting: Sid, Sid, Sid. But then, you, British Bulldog grabbed me from behind and eliminated me from the match. HOW DO YOU DARE?! HOW DO YOU DARE TO MESS UP WITH SID!? Bulldog, you’re going to pay for this. Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Sooner or later you’ll realize that I’m the master, and the ruler of the world…

Sid enters the locker room and the footage fades to black.

Vince McMahon: Big words from Sycho Sid, ladies and gentlemen, but lets return to the action. Tag Team Titles on the line! Right after this commercial break.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

WWF Tag Team Championship

British Bulldog and Owen Hart © vs. The Godwinns w/Hillbilly Jim

The Godwinns make their way to the ring first, getting a decent face response. Bulldog and Owen come down the aisle accompanied by Jim Cornette, getting many boos and most of them are directed to Owen. Nice tag team action here, Owen and Henry start the action, with the Hart brother getting the upper hand first, and surprisingly carries Henry to a good match. Owen keeps dominating Henry with his technical abilities, however he tries to deliver a Back Drop, but Henry counters with his weight and executes a Russian Leg Sweep, Phineous then gets the tag and goes quickly after Owen. Phineous always manages to keep Owen down, but eventually gets distracted and Owen makes the tag. Bulldog comes quickly beating up Phineous with Clotheslines and Shoulder Blocks. Bulldog continues to dominate Phineaous and even gets him up with a Standing Vertical Suplex, Owen then gets the tag, but loses too much time taunting the audience and Henry gets the tag. Henry dominates Owen and almost delivers the Slop Drop, but Owen reverses the move and pins Henry with a roll up with ropes leverage. The referee makes the three count.

Camp Cornette celebrate their victory, but his celebration doesn’t last long as Sycho Sid comes from the crowd (wearing street clothes) and beats the crap out of Bulldog with a Powerbomb while Owen and Cornette quickly leave the ring.

WINNERS, and STILL WWF Tag Team Champions: British Bulldog and Owen Hart by pinfall (Owen pinned Henry).

OR: 75 CR: 80 MQ: 89

The WWF Tag Team titles have gained in image.

Vince McMahon: Sycho Sid! Sid is cleaning house!

Dok Hendrx: He has just snapped, Vinnie! He has gone bananas!

Vince McMahon: Well, still, the British Bulldog and Owen Hart retain their Tag Team Championships.

Goldust won the gold, Razor wants it back

While both teams leave the ring, we get a shot at the crowd, but soon the lights turn gold, and the new Intercontinental Champion, Goldust comes to the square circle, accompanied by the woman we met at the Royal Rumble, Marlena, who carries Goldust’s new belt. The two enter the ring and they share a weird kiss in the middle of it.

Vince McMahon: Well, ladies and gentlemen, Goldust is not set to wrestle here tonight, however it seems he has some words for the audience here at the ARCO Arena.

Dok Hendrix: Vinnie, look at him, he has gold everywhere, and Marlena too!

Vince McMahon: I tell you, these two are not the average American couple, Dok.

Goldust: (Sniff) I guess everybody met my precious golden woman last night at the Royal Rumble… But that’s not important right now. I’m here to talk about (Sniff) Razor…Ramon. Razor, oh Razor. Naughty boy, you thought you would be free of the Golden One if I pinned you last night for the Intercontinental gold. He, he. Well, now I have more gold than ever before, but Razor, I’ll never leave you, one way or the other, you’ll be mine… See, I wasn’t using you, I wasn’t playing mind games with you, lover, I just one you to be mine… It doesn’t matter who is the Intercontinental Champion or if I’m married to Marlena… Razor, understand it, you and me… we’re the “premiere” here at the World Wrestling Federation, and all the rest, are just “B-movies”. Why don’t you take on me once again, so we can stay together?

Razor Ramon’s music hits the arena, and “The Bad Guy” comes to the ring, completely angry and pissed off, he grabs a mic.

Razor Ramon: Goldust… Your weirdness is starting to grow stale, chico, and “The Bad Guy” is getting sick of hearing you saying that I’m so sexy and how I ooze machismo or that you want to be with me. Well, chico, I tell you, sooner or later, I’m getting my title back. But for now, I just want to beat you up.

Razor kicks Goldust in the gut and hits the Razor’s Edge. Marlena tries to stop Razor, but there’s nothing she can do. Razor keeps punching Goldust away until it’s out cold.

Vince McMahon: Razor Ramon, getting revenge after losing his title at the Royal Rumble!

Dok Hendrix: Wow! He’s mad!

Vince McMahon: Ladies and gentlemen, we’re heading to a commercial break, but when we return, the main event, the WWF Champion, Bret Hart takes on Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Vince McMahon: Alright, we’re back for more Monday Night RAW! Now it’s time for our Main Event, Hunter Hearst Helmsley versus Bret “Hitman” Hart in a non-title match!

Non-Title Match

Bret “Hitman” Hart vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

Helmsley comes to the ring first with a load of boos from the crowd, while Bret gets a great ovation. This turns out to be a really good match, perfect for tonight’s main event. Helmsley attempts to get the upper hand first, but ends up being outwrestled by the WWF Champion. Bret tries to keep Helmsley down, but the Blueblood gets up on his feet quickly, and is able to get some offense on the Hitman. The match continues with a nice back and forth rhythm, with Helmsley, working as a heel, getting a brief advantage time by time. We get to the end of the bout when Helmsley has Hart down in the turnbuckle, then Helmsley, confident as always, catches Hart and tries to apply the Pedigree, but Hart counters into a rollup, however the count only gets to two. Helmsley gets pissed off after Hart countered his own finishing maneuver, and drives some furious right hands to Bret’s face, then kicks him in the mid-section and again tries to deliver the Pedigree, but Bret once again counters the move, but this time, into the Sharpshooter. Helmsley tries to reaches the ropes, but the pain is too much for him and taps out.

“The Hitman” celebrates in the middle of the ring with the WWF Championship, but soon his music stops and…

WINNER: Bret “Hitman” Hart, by submission.

OR: 79 CR: 86 MQ: 89

Diesel Power will run wild at In Your House!

Diesel blues hits the PA system, and Big Daddy Cool Diesel makes his way to the ring, with a mixed reaction as usual, and a mic in hand. He enters the ring and stares down with Bret for a while.

Diesel: Well, champ! I suppose you watched the tapes of last night Royal Rumble, and you realized that I had to save your butt so you didn’t lose your WWF Championship, huh? Guess what, Bret! Well, I didn’t do it for you, I did it because of two reasons. First: To screw The Undertaker, that’s right, I gave him, not one, but two Jacknifes and he was left out cold, which is why, The Undertaker is not in the arena tonight. And second: I did it, because of me! That’s right, you know why, Bret? You see, maybe I didn’t win the Rumble match, but still, somehow, someway, I going to get the WWF Title. Because I’m using my rematch contract clause, and I’m challenging you to a match, to a rematch, for the WWF Title at In Your House #6.

Bret watches Diesel closely, then turns around and look at the crowd.

Bret Hart: Diesel... You got it! You want your rematch, you deserve your rematch, and I’ll give you your rematch! At In Your House #6, I’ll defend my WWF Title against you, big man, it’s a deal!

Bret offers a handshake to Diesel, and Diesel shakes hands with the champion. Diesel looks closely at the WWF Title belt, and stares down with Bret for a while, but then leaves the ring.

Vince McMahon: Wow! What a challenge, ladies and gentlemen, at In Your House #6, Bret Hart will be facing Diesel for the WWF Championship match!

Dok Hendrix: That’s going to be one heck of a match, Vinnie Mac.

Vince McMahon: Alright, we’re running out of time, I’m Vince McMahon alongside Dok Hendrix, so long everybody!

Fade to black…

Quick Results:

- Steve Austin def. Bob Holly.

- Vader def. Barry Horowitz.

- Bulldog and Owen def. The Godwinns to retain the WWF Tag Team Titles.

- Bret “Hitman” Hart def. Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

OVERALL SHOW RATING: 78

Comments:

BTW: I don’t know why the overall ratings were so bad compared to the crowd reactions and match qualities. Dok Hendrix has done a great job announcing at past shows and Vince too, and the referees aren’t bad at all... well.

THE WRESTLING NEWSLETTER

Sunday, 28 January 1996

WWF, WCW and ECW Ratings

WWF got a 5.47 rating for 'WWF Monday Night Raw'!

The attendance level was 6013 people.

They made $240520 from ticket sales.

WCW got a 5.83 television rating for 'WCW Monday Nitro'!

The event was attended by 6001 people.

They made $240040 from ticket sales.

WCW got a 2.15 television rating for 'WCW Saturday Night'!

The event was attended by 6001 people.

They made $240040 from ticket sales.

ECW got a 0.31 television rating for 'ECW Hardcore TV'!

The event was attended by 412 people.

They made $8240 from ticket sales.

Edited by UltraBill

Guest thetinman

Im doing a 1996 game atm too, wish I had good writing skills I'd love to make a diary out of it.

Anyways you signed the same exact guys as I.

I love your quick writing and tis very clear to read, one thing though I think you took the tag titles off the smoking guns way too early, Im 5 months in and still have the belts on them. They work great as a team.

Love the Shawn Michaels stuff! Keep pushing him to the moon!

Wow, what an underrated diary. The show format is good, you do your own banners, the characters are portrayed really well and yet, you get barely any feedback. I loved Owen's and HBK's debate. "Listen, Bret's brother..." A great sentence there already. One thing I am really impressed by are those banners. It seems that you have enough 1996 photos to make them, and the banners are pure quality, yet they look kinda messy (in a good way), and therefore, they look realistic, and who says I write too long sentences.

By the way, about the overall rating problem. It's described in the EWR guide, and it's rare and normal (Y)