The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I want to get into comics ( my brother had a huge collection and I use to look through his), and was wondering if the Civil War is worth starting from? I am a fan of Colossus and Gambit, so will probably want to stick with X-Men stuff and that seems to be the biggest thing in a while.

I enjoy Green Lantern and was wondering if anyone knew a good book to start on with him?

The X-Men aren't really super-relevant to Civil War, though, are they? I don't know, it's tough with the X-Men. You could probably start with the two current main titles (Uncanny X-men and Wolverine and the X-Men) and then start picking up other stuff to supplement them like Grant Morrison's run and whatever this Schism thing was.

For Green Lantern, go with either Rebirth or No Fear.

The X-Men aren't really super-relevant to Civil War, though, are they? I don't know, it's tough with the X-Men. You could probably start with the two current main titles (Uncanny X-men and Wolverine and the X-Men) and then start picking up other stuff to supplement them like Grant Morrison's run and whatever this Schism thing was.

For Green Lantern, go with either Rebirth or No Fear.

I thought it was a lot of the Marvel characters and included the X-Men, I suppose they are not the focal point though? I just want some Colossus and Gambit, as well as some other interesting characters in a "modern" book.

Thanks for the Green Lantern recommendations though, I need to go to my nearest comic book store and start grabbing books.

Honestly, the big events usually are way more focused on the main Avengers guys like Cap and Iron Man. The X-Men usually have some sort of tie-in but are rarely central to the plot.

If you want some good Colossus stuff, pick up Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run where he returned after being dead for a few years. The first arc is one of the most universally acclaimed X-Men stories in the last decade if not longer.

Honestly, the big events usually are way more focused on the main Avengers guys like Cap and Iron Man. The X-Men usually have some sort of tie-in but are rarely central to the plot.

If you want some good Colossus stuff, pick up Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run where he returned after being dead for a few years. The first arc is one of the most universally acclaimed X-Men stories in the last decade if not longer.

I got the whole Joss run for a buck an issue on my ipad and if you love Colussus you will love it. Great stuff

I got the whole Joss run for a buck an issue on my ipad and if you love Colussus you will love it. Great stuff

Thanks, I think I will actually check that out then. Looks like about 24 issues and a nice start, have to see if I can get it on my Kindle if it is up on the I-Pad.

It's 24 issues and then they finished their run with 2 special issues. I think they were called "Giant Size" 1.1 and 1.2 or something like that. They are easy to find on iPad.

Do you have any suggestions on anything with Mr. Sinister also? Nice to actually know people that read and know about comics to ask this stuff to.

I got the first issue of something called "Justice" for a buck today. It's by Alex Ross and it's the Justice League and they are all dreaming about the world coming to an end and I guess Luthor knows this is really going to happen. I don't know I just read the first of 12 issues but I liked it. Anyone read it? The sale ends tomorrow and I am on the fence about picking up the other 11.

Finished reading Part One of Knightfall, and it was just a fantastic read. Can't wait to pick up Part Two, hopefully on Thursday. I picked up all six issues of Batman: The Winding Gyre yesterday, I couldn't resist when I saw Batman and Kevin Smith's name on the same page I got the biggest clue ever.

... oh, what the fuck, has nobody mentioned Sandman? Read Sandman, and put it pretty high up on your priority list.

This. Best comic book series ever, if you ask me, which nobody did.

And, yeah, check if your library has a comic/graphic novel section - that's how I first read Sandman, and a few other things. And, unfortunately, Tarzan vs. Predator.

Worst thing I read in my initial mad scramble to read All The Comics was The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Under no circumstances, regardless of how much one may have likes Dark Knight Returns, should one read The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Yeah. A Batman-inspired gang, a Catwoman-inspired sidekick when Batman could have just kept the girl as Robin, Wayne Manor burning down... it was just crap which didn't deserve publishing, even if it was Frank Miller doing the writing.

Only good thing in it was Plastic Man and Elongated Man hating each other. Aside from that it was the beginning of the end of Frank Miller being taken seriously.

EDIT: Also, I have so much respect for Archie Comics right now.