The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Anyone who buys digital Comixology have Batman graphic novels on sale at £1.99/$2.99 a piece.

I got Year One, Long Halloween, Hush and Killing Joke.

They also have Arkham Asylum, Batman & Son, Court of Owls, Year One and Dark Knight returns!

• Like 1

If anyone wants to read Damien Wayne stories, I'd skip the initial Grant Morrison run and jump straight in at Batman and Robin from New 52. Such a fantastic run, one of the first time I've started collecting a series midway through a run because it was just that great. Though you kind of need to check out Batman Incorporated to really understand a pretty major plot point regarding Damien. Which I found pretty silly that it didn't happen in the comic titled BATMAN AND ROBIN. >_>

Guys! I wanna buy some new comics!

I've still not finished Civil War or Blankets so I wanna keep away from superheroes or super serious stuff.

I've kinda got my list down to either Locke & Key, Sin City or Saga and I can afford to get maybe three tpb's. Do I get the first of each, or do I splurge all on one set?

I'm leaning towards Sin City purely because the 3rd edition covers are amazing.

That's pretty much where I said "well, I'm out!"

If you can live with superheroes though, you should check out the latest volume of Hawkeye, Oliver. It's the most wonderful, lovely comic in all the worlds.

Oh, I've no problems with supers, it's just I'm still really backlocked with Civil War and everything that goes with it. My only problem with 'jumping in' to super stories is that there's just so much god damn history that it's hard for me to get on board.

Just fiinished Blankets (well, sort of, I haven't finished the foot notes yet) but oh man, such a beautiful and lovely and crazy sad story. Beautiful, beautiful book. I'd recommend it to anyone with a heart.

And now I'm going to read Sin City. And you know what EWB, I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to enjoy it just to spite you.

Mrs. TKz actually owns the single issues of every single Civil War comic, including tie ins and one shots.

I mean, there was no reason to post this, you just brought up Civil War and I think it's pretty awesome that she's managed it. >_>

Saga is fucking INCREDIBLE. It's too bad you got Sin City, because zomg Saga.

I read some of Sex yesterday. Sex is great. AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Sex is great.

I'm just coming to the end of the 2nd volume of Saga now. So, so good. Need more!

For anyone following the current Batman run, is Zero Year worth reading? I had read the first volume of Court of Owls a while back and used this week's Batman sale to go up to issue #20. I was kind of let down on the Death of a Family thing. Joker was great and all and the art was top notch like always, but it felt like the same Joker story I've already read 200 times before and the wrap up just feels like a fakeout. I want to know if it's worth continuing.

Yeah, it's a pretty great story, especially if you like a Batman who fails sometimes.

• Like 1

https://www.cbcscomics.com/

So, this was announced at the end of May apparently and if it was brought up in the thread already, sorry but I didn't see it.

Steve Borock is heading a new grading company. He's the former president of CGC that left and went to work for Heritage for a while. I think this'd be great to have a legitimate company out there to give competition to CGC (PGX is crap outside of being able to get decent grade comics for less money than most want to shill them for and Vault has no rep yet).

So the website is now live and submissions are open. Depending on what you're looking to get graded, slightly cheaper than CGC BUT they offer free grader notes which is a hell of a kicker. I went ahead and decided to finally submit some books for grading. Hardly ever a chance to get in on the ground floor of something like this so why the hell not ? Especially since they do a 'grade screening' where you submit what you feel is the lowest acceptable grade and if they feel it won't grade at least what you put down, you aren't charged full price.

Tomorrow I'll be sending in my X-Men #12, Captain Marvel #1, and Incredible Hulk #102 ... looking forward to it actually. I put a 5, 7, and 6 respectively on the grade screens.

Been reading Justice League Dark lately to hype myself up for Constantine, honestly? It's okay, but man, magic in DC... they just don't know what to do with it. As soon as you realize Zatanna is basically unstoppable when the only limit to her magic is "you have to be able to say it backwards", she ends up just being knocked out or given some stupid reason why her magic doesn't work. The stories are just not that interesting and I hate the fact that it's told through Madame Xanadu's perspective for the first half of the run. I want to know what these characters are thinking, it's fucking boring to replace that with narration of something I can already see.

I've gotten past the stuff with Tim Hunter thus far and I'm not sure I'll keep reading once I've caught up. There's a lot of promise but the writing just isn't that interesting. The variety of characters should allow for some wonderful moments and conflicts within the group, but the books not interested in that. It'd rather throw a villain out, make up some excuses for why x and y magic won't work and call it a day.

Found out that Brubaker had a run on Secret Avengers that I wasn't familiar with previously. The introduction of Coulson put me off the current Marvel NOW run, but it looks like the old run had a good line up.

Caught up on Batman & Robin, too. Probably one of the better books DC is running right now.

Also read all of the latest run of Punisher. It's pretty fun! Exactly the kind of story I want from Punisher, put him up against some of the more fantastic elements of the Marvel Universe and watch him play out alongside enemies he can't really deal with. Art's nice, writing is good, the secondary characters are nice additions. And moving Frank to LA is a nice change of pace, New York is so oversaturated with heroes as it. I'm pretty sure we'll be getting another West Coast Avengers run soon, judging from the number of heroes moving that side of the US. Daredevil, She-Hulk, Iron Man. I'd be down with that.