The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I'm reading Tales of Suspense from the first Iron Man onwards which is fairly typical mid 60s Lee fare. Best thing though is by far the backing comics which are just standalone sci-fi stories with horrible twist endings. He's obviously aiming for Planet of the Apes/Outer Limits cautionary tales type stuff, but some of them are just terrible. In fairness he is doing two a month alongside a million other publications, and they are quite funny.

"I stayed in the haunted house and didn't see a ghost, give me $100".

"Ah, but look, the house is gone, the house was the ghost!".

I used to have the first two Essential Iron Man tpbs, so I've read all the ToS Iron Man stories and there are plenty of good ones.

Actually have read the backup story you mention, though, and its pretty good if a bit screwy.

I'm reading Tales of Suspense from the first Iron Man onwards which is fairly typical mid 60s Lee fare. Best thing though is by far the backing comics which are just standalone sci-fi stories with horrible twist endings. He's obviously aiming for Planet of the Apes/Outer Limits cautionary tales type stuff, but some of them are just terrible. In fairness he is doing two a month alongside a million other publications, and they are quite funny.

"I stayed in the haunted house and didn't see a ghost, give me $100".

"Ah, but look, the house is gone, the house was the ghost!".

I love this shit and have a reasonably large stack of DC's original 'House of Mystery'/'House of Secrets' run and a lot of Marvel's 'Tales to Astonish' in a giant hardcover, as well. Dark Horse puts out a quarterly 'Creepy' now which I think is the only major anthology of it's type still going.

There's a fantastic book called "The Horror! The Horror!" all about pre-comics code horror, sci-fi and suspense comics, their battles with censorship and so on, well worth checking out. There's plenty of the original comics re-printed in there too.

One Month To Die was a lot more subdued than I ever imagined it would be, but bloody good. Spoilers in;

There's something about the closing line being "Call me James" that made me smile, a lot.

• Like 1

Marvel in 1969 is just an endless stream of super powered galactic villains. Usually accompanied by a robot plastoid/plasti-thene/asbestos henchman. At least they seem to be slowing down the amount of ~SCIENCE!!! endings.

Jack Kirby.

• Like 1

Original Sin ended up being pretty boring as a crossover event.

It was just too much of a slow burn, tried to include too many characters and everything was left too ambiguous, even in the end. Not really too interested in Nick Fury as The Unseen, whatever it is. At least the new Bucky series should be fun.

Death of Wolverine #1 was pretty good. Looking forward to the rest, love the fact it all comes out over a month. I think I'm even more psyched for the fallout and Legacy of Logan, though. Really hope X-23 comes out with a larger role in the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, Original Sin had some fun ideas, but wasn't nearly as big as it felt like it could have been. Some of the spin-off stuff was good, though; Hulk vs. Iron Man in particular.

I'm more hopeful for Axis, that looks a bit more traditional crossover, except written by Rick Remender, so it's bound to be fucking great.

Considering his last three big runs (Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny Avengers and Venom) are some of the best runs of a comic Marvel has put out in years, I've got high hopes for it. Not to mention it carries on what he's set up thus far in Uncanny Avengers. But then Jason Aaron wrote Original Sin and it doesn't remotely measure up to his work on Thor: God of Thunder.

And then there's whatever the fuck Time Runs Out is, which considering it's Johnathon Hickman, can only be Pseudoscience Mindfuckery Goodness if nothing else.

Unless it results in a New 52 esque reboot as rumored. In which case, fuck that noise.

I really liked the X-Men stuff just before it was canned, they just seemed to try different stuff and art styles, the first Sauron story stuck out as a highlight.

Tales to Astonish 26 (the one before Ant-man) includes what is basically a three page version of Inception. I was actually astonished.

• Like 1

So after Death of Wolverine is done Spider-Man will be a guidance counselor at the Jean Grey school in Spider-Man and The X-Men.

http://www.newsarama.com/22086-after-wolverine-new-ongoing-spider-man-the-x-men-fills-a-void.html