The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

So I don't buy a lot of comic books, even though I enjoy them. My girlfriend has picked me up some for Christmas and Birthdays over the last few years. I really want to read the Civil War storyline but don't want to buy each individual comic. I've looked at some collections, but can't figure out which ones I would buy to get the whole storyline. Any help on this would be great. Links would be even better.

Pretty much okay to get the main Civil War book. Majority of the tie ins just offer background information or show events from the main book from other characters perspectives. Frontline was a great companion book though, although again not essential.

Outside of that, are there any trade paperbacks I should pick up? I have Batman: Year One, Kingdom Come, Batman: The Killing Joke, Batman: Joker. I plan to pick up Daredevil: The Man Without Fear.

Any other suggestions?

Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier was fucking gorgeous. I have no idea what was going on in it, but it was wonderful.

The art is lovely, even if it's ridiculously busy.

Finally got around too it ... and yeah, it was quite something to look at but it damn near put me off the book, and I LOVE WS.

If you really like the main Civil War book I'd look into torrenting the tie-ins. iirc there are quite a few of them that'd you'd have to find if you wanted to buy them all. Buy the collection of the main story though. When I'm able that's going to be one of the first things I look into buying.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56350

Planet Hulk is back in 2015 too.

Between this, Civil War and the reveal of Secret Wars being a year long story dealing with the collapse of the multiverse (supposedly), I think it's safe to say these are going to be alternate universe stories. I'm pretty okay with a limited run series where we can see potentially different outcomes to big events.

Good, I was a fucking idiot and stopped picking up before it got so crazy amazing. Now I can collect all of the new series! With more Remender!

I do love that man's writing. I wish they'd let him play with Venom some more.

Yeah, either Marvel have lost their fucking minds, or there's going to be an insane amount of alternate universe "what could have happened" stories or reimaginings of every major story ever. I'm interested, either way.

So far it seems like it'll probably be a collection of mini-series. Considering Secret Wars is based around heroes fighting heroes from different realities and with everything Hickman has been building in New Avengers/Avengers, I'd guess it's a set up to see the realities these heroes are coming from. Pretty cool idea if that's what it is.

Yeah, the rumors are that the Secret Wars event will tie up all of the stuff that started with the time stream fracturing in Age of Ultron. It sounds as though they've been planning/working towards this for a couple of years (the incursions, spider - verse, etc) ... which would simply be phenomenal.

I'm guessing that the "rehash" of the other name events is just a broadening of the story or a place to tell overflow/backstory stuff.

Likely not a newsflash for anybody, but I finally bought The Killing Joke Thursday night and finished it today. So good, holy crap. Are there any Batman comics/graphic novels you guys would suggest I read next?

Edited by Tyrone

Likely not a newsflash for anybody, but I finally bought The Killing Joke Thursday night and finished it today. So good, holy crap. Are there any Batman comics/graphic novels you guys would suggest I read next?

Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Court of Owls, City of Owls, Batman RIP,Battle for the Cowl,Whaever Happened to the Caped Crusader. Edited by Kirkland
  • Like 1

Pretty much anything Batman is worth a read but I'm biased. :P

Death Of A Family is one that I would recommend that hasn't been named. Year One, The Killing Joke and Joker are all great. Knightfall is also worth a read.

• Like 1

Being totally honest, I've always thought Nightfall is dreadful. It's a great opening premise that immediately falls apart once Batman is broken. I've never really understood why it was iconic. I mean it's a strong visual and I guess we were just coming off Superman dying (for realsies guys), so maybe people expected it to stick, but the actual story itself is pretty boring.

I'm shocked that no one is suggesting The Long Halloween, followed by Dark Victory. I'd easily hold those as two of the top Batman stories ever printed.

Otherwise, I'll throw my support behind Year One, Court of Owls, Joker, Death in the Family, Batman & Son and Hush. Under The Red Hood is a great collection too, though it'll probably have more impact if you read Death in the Family first.

I'd also strongly recommend anyone looking to read Batman check out his current runs (Batman and Batman Eternal) by Scott Snyder and Batman and Robin by Peter Tomasi. All three are really, really fun and you can probably pick up a volume or two for cheap by now.

• Like 2

I second the recommendation for The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, and recommend the two Matt Wagner mini-series: Batman and The Monster Men and Batman and The Mad Monk. Of course, I'd also suggest The Dark Knight Returns, but avoid its sequel. DKR2 is garbage and wasn't worth the wait.

Knightfall isn't all that great, but still a decent read. The ending kind of sucked, but whatever.....

• Like 1