The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Edited by Kirkland

Are there any Zombie comics running besides TWD?

Man Jack Kirbys return to Marvel in the late 70's is rough going. Eternals is bad, Black Panther is worse and there's Devil Dinosaur and Machine Man to come. Plus he's got a short run on Captain America ahead, but at least there'll be the rest of the team to rein him in hopefully.

His run on Captain America had a few stinker issues, but was pretty good for the most part.

Eternals stunk, but I've only read one of two issues each of his runs on Black Panther and Machine Man, and none on Devil Dinosaur.

Black Panther is perhaps worse than Eternals. You could interchange the Panther with anyone and it wouldn't make a difference, the dialogue is awfully forced and suits none of the characters and they don't even mention Wakanda till half way through the run.

Add that to the fact that I've never been a fan of his art (I'm thinking of getting a Kirby Face t-shirt printed), his plots are batshit insane and way too dialogue heavy and you get the first comics in the reading order I've skim read. And it's 3, 000 issues in...

Oh not to mention Claremont (I think?) takes over near the end and it looks a hundred times better.

Man Jack Kirbys return to Marvel in the late 70's is rough going. Eternals is bad, Black Panther is worse and there's Devil Dinosaur and Machine Man to come. Plus he's got a short run on Captain America ahead, but at least there'll be the rest of the team to rein him in hopefully.

The plot had been lost on his approach at this point ... which sucks, because the Eternals in of themselves are awesome but just get lost in the shuffle (as does the fact that this book introduces the Celestials) because people just felt it was yet another attempt at his Godly inarnate 4th world etc etc etc. To me it actually came off as a different approach and "growing up" if you will of him as a creator and trying to find a new way to explain what he'd always wanted to (yes the guise was the same but the tone and attempted delivery was different). I've always felt it was a vastly underrated book/character set.

Machine Man is awesome !

So I can start reading again. Is Futures End finished?

Marvel's smart-panel option on the Unlimited app is fantastic. Think it might finally convince me to sign up.

While I agree it's very useful, I'd be wary of Smart Panels. They clearly haven't spent much time on some of the older or lesser known comics and you'll occasionally get books that have text boxes with the ends chopped off or awesome full page art that smart panels between the text boxes without ever pulling back to show the full thing.

But yeah when it's done right it makes the tablet/phone app work brilliantly.

Alright, Secret Wars is starting soon and I need to catch up...I've been following New Avengers but I'm several issues behind, and it seems like there's a big gap where they've all soured on Tony and locked him up. Anyone care to help me piece together a reading list to cover what happened there? Plus, doesn't it start intersecting with regular Avengers?

Alright, Secret Wars is starting soon and I need to catch up...I've been following New Avengers but I'm several issues behind, and it seems like there's a big gap where they've all soured on Tony and locked him up. Anyone care to help me piece together a reading list to cover what happened there? Plus, doesn't it start intersecting with regular Avengers?

Avengers 35, followed by New Avengers 24 is where you'll need to start alternating. I think there's a few issues you can get away with reading just one, but it starts connecting so much that you might as well just start from there. But man, if you haven't been reading Avengers, totally check it out. And read Infinity too, it's a shitty crossover on it's own, but when you read it as part of Hickman's extended Avengers story, it's a ton better.

As for what happened with Tony, we don't know yet, it happened during the time jump. I mean, you're aware of the events of Axis turning a bunch of heroes bad and a bunch of villains good? Tony pretty much became not a villain, but a Tony Stark that's completely given into his ego. Axis as an event wasn't amazing, but Superior Iron Man has been real solid, totally worth checking out if you're interested.

Also, I don't know how quick you get through comics Maxx, but might be worth waiting like three weeks and then reading. The final issues of both will release at the end of April.

Yeah I was vaguely famiiar with Axis, but haven't read it. Read Infinity, and enjoyed it. Been absolutely loving New Avengers, so I was worried I missed some big stuff. When are we supposed to find out about what happened during the time jump? And where does Axis fall in the storyline?

No idea, I'm starting to think it'll be stuff revealed during Secret Wars? If not, I have to imagine we're looking at a reveal in their individual series. But yeah, read regular Avengers man. It's more Hickman, it's not as good as New Avengers... but like, if New Avengers is a 10/10, Avengers is still like a 9/10. (keeping in mind Hickman is pretty much the epitome of what i want from a comic writer)

Yeah I loved how he gets to write these huge storylines that span multiple titles, makes everything so much more consistent.

Two other suggestions that you've probably already read would be his run of Fantastic Four (which is the god damn best) and his short run of issues 1-12 on Ultimate Comics: Ultimates. Though I always suggest reading Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimatum, Ultimate Doomsday and then Ultimates. It's so god damn rewarding to watch this entire arc happen, all of those runs combined are The Rise and Fall of Reed Richards. And Hickman's evil Reed Richards is the fucking best. Plus he features in New Avengers and probably Secret Wars.

EDIT: And Fantastic Four ties a ton into Avengers/New Avengers, Hickman does the same thing Remender does (another of my personal favorites) which is that his entire Marvel history totally connects. There's a ton of stuff in Fantastic Four that shows up in his run of New Avengers.

I managed to catch up on a couple books today

Earth 2

I loved this book before but what I read today was meh. I didn't even really enjoy the Batman/Huntress issue. I did enjoy the issue on Darkseids Furies though.

Batman

I love Endgame. I can't wait for the last part. I love all the little backstories on Joker. Don't know why they felt they had to write out the whole JL for this though. They didn't help him last time Joker was fucking up Bruce's world and no one complained. I think people get that the JL isn't really going to do much in a Batman book without an excuse having to be shoved in. Awesome cover with crazed Superman though.

Invincible

Glad Mark came out and said he was raped finally. What I wonder is how his Dad will react to this when he gets wind of it. His comments comparing people to dogs and his position of needed his people to breed makes me think he might be rather OK with it. On the other hand he's a good guy(for the most part) and cares about his sons.

Walking Dead

As soon as the Walkers started using knifes and speaking full sentences I thought WD had jumped the shark then the reveal just fixed it all for me. I also like that Rick has pretty much settled into the background. He was just there for most of these issues. They were about everyone else.