The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I think the early Fables was good (excellent even, I loved it to death), but recently it's gone a bit downhill. Haven't exactly been a regular reader though, so I stand to be corrected.

No Garth Ennis love? Preacher anyone? I enjoyed the first Punisher graphic novel he worked on as well, and the first issue the mini-series of 'A Man Called Kev' was enjoyable.

Edited by timmayy

Read anything by Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis, and Mark Millar.

I'd add Frank Miller to this.

Frank Miller has sucked for a while. His Daredevil run was brilliant, Dark Knight Returns was cool, and Sin City is cool. But he's now at the point where he knows he can just write the dumbest shit ever and so he does. Like, All Star Batman & Robin is Frank Miller just fucking with everyone. It's hilarious to read about but it's still a bad comic book.

As for superhero comics, I only have a few issues of Ultimate Spider-Man (Issues 2-6 to be precise).

I'm much more of a Star Wars fan when it comes to comic books. I really like John Ostrander's work, especially when he contributes with Jan Duursema (which some of you can see by my avatar.) The new series Legacy is a great piece of work when it comes to Star Wars comics. Republic was awesome as well.

Let me second the earlier recommendation of "The Walking Dead"

I am 28 now, and have been reading comics since I was 6......Walking Dead is by far the best title I have ever read.

The first 20 issues are available in Trade Paperback (5 issues each, 10 bucks each) and you should be able to get everything after that in single prints still.

If you like Zombies Sara.....you'll love it.

Definitly check out Hush. I was a fan of Loeb's "The Long Halloween" as well, so you might want to check that out.

Astonishing X-Men and Civil War are both MUSTS, especially the latter. It changes the entire landscape of marvel characters, especially spiderman.

Frank Miller has sucked for a while. His Daredevil run was brilliant, Dark Knight Returns was cool, and Sin City is cool. But he's now at the point where he knows he can just write the dumbest shit ever and so he does. Like, All Star Batman & Robin is Frank Miller just fucking with everyone. It's hilarious to read about but it's still a bad comic book.

All-Star Superman, on the other hand, is incredibly well done.

I'm surprised you didn't mention DKSA. What a horrible goddam book that was.

I try to pretend that never happened.

It's another thing where I understand what Miller was doing and I think it's absolutely hysterical, but at the same time it's so utterly stupid at the same time. The only legitimately good part of DKSA was Plastic Man.

Well im new to comics, but what are "trades?"

Trades are Trade Paperbacks that collect a specific number of issues of a book (or sometimes books), both an ongoing or a limited series. For instance, the Ultimate Spider-Man Volume One Trade collects the first six issues of that long running series, a good way for someone to get caught up from the beginning on that title. Batman Dark Victory trade collects the entire 12 issue limited series in one easy to read book. Trades are usually softcover, and can be priced anywhere from $10 to $30 usually, however hardback trades are now becoming more common, but are more expensive. Trades are a great way to give an ongoing a try, and an even greater way to affordably buy a set number of issues of a hot or sold out book.

Hope that helped.

I think I've got the general idea of what's being discussed, but am I right in saying this - "trades" are a collection of issues of a comic book (usually older issues) arranged into a paperback or hardback book format?

So would this be an example of one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0785107...ce&n=266239

Just wondering, as I didn't realise such a thing existed and this could be something for me to look into.

I think I've got the general idea of what's being discussed, but am I right in saying this - "trades" are a collection of issues of a comic book (usually older issues) arranged into a paperback or hardback book format?

Just wondering, as I didn't realise such a thing existed and this could be something for me to look into.

You are absolutely correct. Many great trades available. Moreso for Marvel and Vertigo than regular DC, but they are starting to catch up some.

You are absolutely correct. Many great trades available. Moreso for Marvel and Vertigo than regular DC, but they are starting to catch up some.

Nice one, thanks. So how many issues can one expect to be in a trade? I think that Ultimate Spider-man one has 7, is that about average? Oh, and is there a difference between trade paperbacks and hardbacks or are the hardbacks just more expensive because they're hardbacks?

Like so:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0785108...39&v=glance

Actually, upon closer inspection there's a helluva lot more pages in the hardback and it seems there are 13 issues - almost twice as many.

Average trades have anywhere from 4 to 10 issues in them depending. Hardcovers usually have more, but not always. The Ultimate line hardcovers do for sure, usually 12 to 13 issues. Here are some other great deals:

The first three hardcover trades collected, like 36 issues plus extras. I got it for $25 at Barnes and Noble locally last year.

All 18 issues of the first series of one of the greatest comic book series currently running. My highest reccomendation.

And available in December, the second hardcover collection of the first 18 issues, plus extras, of the the second series.

However, don't be fooled by Marvel's Premiere Hardcover series that releases six issue arcs in hardcover format with no extras for almost $30. The softcover version, identical, is usally released within three months for almost half the price.

TGC

Mark Millar writes Civil War which I like and I've always loved Gaiman. Will have to look into the other 2.

Warren Ellis: Very much hit and miss, but the biggest hits by far are Planetary, his short but stellar run on Hellblazer, and Fell is quite good as well. His Ultimate Marvel work is iffy.

Mark Millar writes Civil War which I like and I've always loved Gaiman. Will have to look into the other 2.

Warren Ellis: Very much hit and miss, but the biggest hits by far are Planetary, his short but stellar run on Hellblazer, and Fell is quite good as well. His Ultimate Marvel work is iffy.

No Transmetropolitan love? :(

Yeah! Seriously, what's wrong with you people? I've read Transmetropolitan twice now in its full length and have enjoyed it immensely both times. It is a great, great series everyone should try getting into. Satire, parody, some action and violence and above all this total in-your-face sense of sick, twisted humor.

"Are you telling me the Chair Leg of Truth is lying, Fred? Listen to the Chair Leg, Fred! What is it saying? What is it saying? It's saying 'Shut the fuck up, Fred!'"

Transmet is amazing. It definitely needs more love.

Is it me, or is the second trade of Garth Ennis' run on Punisher quite hard to come-by. The MAX ones are easy to get though.

I always keep looking at Transmetropolitan, but was never quite sure abiout wether to get it or not.