The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Great info, sounds like you've been collecting for quite awhile. For myself, I can't get too into getting graded comics, just so dang expensive; even for Very Good copies of anything. The story is what I'm most interested in. If I can get a good looking comic at an affordable price, I'll get it, but I imagine all of the Silver age stuff is going to be close to reader copies only. I'll check out Strange Tales, based off of your experience I'll take your word on how great they are and pick up a copy.

As for the budget collector, I've been reading a lot about sellers not being able to keep g/vg on the shelp, even at above overstreet. As a budget buyer that concerns me, LOL. Seems like I'm getting late in the game on these, but oh well. :-)

I've been involved with it for a while, yeah. I had a pretty good break in the early to mid 2000's though and I'm still catching up or out of the loop with some things due to that. The graded scene is the one that really took me a bit to completely understand, and then learn to gauge on my own accord. While IMO it has done some damage to collecting, it (at least at the moment) has created a broader range of availability to more people than not. I only started grading myself because I was on top of CBCS when they were just starting up roughly a year ago. Was able to get in on the ground floor, got in on the community that has sprouted, and there's regular engagement with the owner of the company soo ..... and I've only submitted two batches of books. My second batch will hit actually grading within the month. It does seem that graded books are expensive but you can do it without being hit too hard. I actually started with that Cap 100, it was my first graded purchase. Because the graded issues moved the price point up, I was seeing raw issues that (as good as one could tell) looked very similar but were going for as much or more than the graded one I was bidding on because of the prospect of the grade. Estimating a VF/VF+ and then giving the disclaimer that it could grade lower but "looks that good" ... that creates the sweet spot. With a graded book there's no question and you are paying for exactly what it is ... no speculative driving up. I got mine cheaper than two other raw books I was looking at (granted, only 20 and 30 bucks respectively) because it wasn't going to be higher than an 8 as it was graded ...

Perfect example of what I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055359.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XStrange+Tales+135.TRS0&_nkw=Strange+Tales+135&_sacat=0 <--- that's for ST 135 (first nick fury) .. check the couple of graded books on the first page, the raw books right around them, and then check the prices. That 6.5 is looking pretty good with an offer attached to it and is very much a collectible grade.

I think you'll enjoy the ST stuff given how you feel about TOS and appear to have a liking for SA story types. I honestly am a budget collector with a value approach. I'm not a speculator but rather I try to find 1st app or key issues that I feel are undervalued or simply looked over (like that ST 141 I mentioned) or the 1st Beetle ... I might have a slightly bigger budget (don't know) but I absolutely have to be picky about what I go after. I've been able to build a small little collectible group of SA books going after stuff like this. Every now and then I hit (bought Iron Fist 1-6 for 50$ and the #1 came back a 9.4) but I've also got ASM 41 and 50, 4 and 4.5 respectively. I bought them a bit higher than I should have, but now being graded ... they don't look so bad and are gaining value. Depending on what you really want in terms of collecting I'd be more than happy to maybe suggest some stuff ...

Kirkland, on 26 May 2015 - 04:14 AM, said:

These?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Arrow_Vol_1

Oh, whoops ... sorry given the stories you were mentioning I was off .... you need to read these: GL/GA 85-86 story is "Snowbirds Don't Fly" .... fantastic stuff, and shows just how long that character/book has dealt with REAL issues. It's from '71 so the topic is even more eye opening given the time frame.

• Like 1

Ah yeah, like I said, I have the GL/GA stuff. I'm set then.

• Like 1

So I'm on a story when Ollie is dealing with Rhino poachers. My app I read on shows a video ad between comics sometimes. Until now I've only ever got an old Christmas ad. A minute ago right in the middle of this Rhino story I get an ad about how to save the Rhinos. It reads what I'm reading. :unsure:

Edited by Kirkland

I mean, it's kinda obvious in the current book when Ivy shows up for the first time. It'd be kinda silly to deny it.

Edit In fact here is a couple pannels from a recent one that was in the comments over there

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xjK81oM7--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1294673907847516198.jpg

Edited by Kirkland

It was always implied but never too heavily till the newest Harley book.It was a thing you could see if you wanted to. Now it's a fact.

I haven't picked up my stuff for about 8 months; ha! So unsure on whether I want to get back in to modern stuff, just wondering what Classic runs people would recommend a hoarder to go in for?

I have a complete run of New Mutants and Deadpool volume 1. So looking for something with around 100+ issues... Sadly nothing that has super chase books (Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men, FF) but something with some good books in, probably 80's to early 90's

I haven't picked up my stuff for about 8 months; ha! So unsure on whether I want to get back in to modern stuff, just wondering what Classic runs people would recommend a hoarder to go in for?

I have a complete run of New Mutants and Deadpool volume 1. So looking for something with around 100+ issues... Sadly nothing that has super chase books (Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men, FF) but something with some good books in, probably 80's to early 90's

Spectacular Spider-Man is undervalued IMO .... not too many books with significant price tags but it is a run bigger than what you're looking at. Perhaps Web of Spider-Man which clocks in at 129 issues I believe and outside of issues 1, 18, 118, and 119 you shouldn't be looking at anything more than 4$ or so for pretty decent copies (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Web-Of-Spider-Man-Comics-38-Issue-lot-Copper-Modern-F-VF-/271903571839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4eb73f7f) <- that run gets you 38 books, has issue 18 in it and they look to be in pretty good shape.

Though, what do you mean by "classic" exactly .... and your new mutants has a pretty chase book in it (H) and one quickly picking up steam.

Nick Fury: Agent of Shield is absolutely amazing once Strange Tales ends. Art is ridiculous, it's basically proto-Archer and so different in style to everything else Marvel is putting out at the time. The bit where he flies through a wall topless on a motorbike pretty much sums it up. Then for some reason issue 3 is a Scottish werewolf mystery.

It's a sad day, just finished Frank Millers run on Daredevil ending with #191. So good. That said X-Men has been a close second and I'm ready for a direction change after this Brood storyline has gone on for so long.

Which ones are you on about? The only 2 I paid any amount for was Deadpool and Cable; the former was only £30; latter £20.

I may look in to those; I just mean some stuff with some goos interesting books

Um, Deadpool is a rather big book now. Depending on what condition it is in you could be looking at an $800-900 book. Cable is hitting $400 for 9.8 graded now with 9.2 even hitting $100 now.

Nick Fury: Agent of Shield is absolutely amazing once Strange Tales ends. Art is ridiculous, it's basically proto-Archer and so different in style to everything else Marvel is putting out at the time. The bit where he flies through a wall topless on a motorbike pretty much sums it up. Then for some reason issue 3 is a Scottish werewolf mystery.

^ absolutely ... you should check that out. I actually have that issue 3 still. The stuff is amazing .... and Sterenko's art is phenomenal.

Gail Simone's Secret Six stuff

Remender's Uncanny X-Force is one of the best run of comics in the last decade in my opinion ... just freaking great

Honestly, the original GI Joe run was very, very good.

The latest Avengers stuff that Bendis did was pretty great .. as was the Uncanny Avengers

Astro City ... all of it.

Levitz's work on Legion of Super Heroes

.... those are some places to look.

GA is suddenly getting 90's looking in 94. Costumes and arms are getting stupidly big.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/marvel-inclusion-biracial-spider-man-article-1.2265591

Long story short: Miles is going to be the main focus of the Earth 616 Spidey books, but Peter Parker's still going to be around too.

As far as I know, we know nothing about 616-Miles. The first time Miles and Peter met, Peter googled to see what his version of Miles was up to and it was never revealed, Peter just said "oh my god" at what he found. The prevailing theories are that he's either dead or some sort of criminal in the 616 universe.

(But to answer your question, Ultimate Miles will be joining the main universe.)

• Like 1