The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Ok, first off, I'm not that big into the main comic books, simply because there's too much story and... well, I can't be arsed. That being said, there are a few self standing graphic novels that have caught my eye, but I wanted to know if any of you have read any of them, and if so, if they're any good. It's a long-ish list, but here it is:

• Button Man: The Killing Game

• Brodie's Law: Project Jameson

• Brownsville

• Children of the Grave

• Kingdom Come

• Mobfire

• Ocean

• Orbiter

• Murder Mysteries

Picked up my comics yesterday and was severely disappointed with one of them:

Batman #659 was supposed to be a Grant Morrison story with guest artist John Van Fleet, featuring the Joker. Instead, its part one of a four parter by John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake introducing a new villain named Grotesk, and the Joker story (which will still be by Morrison and Van Fleet) has been pushed back to issue #663.

There are a few problems with the Grotesk story:

1. There's already a Marvel character by that name, who was introduced in the X-Men comics in the 1960's (issue #41, if I remember correctly). 2. This character is more or less a Leatherface rip-off (wears a mask made up of pieces of his victim's skin) with a flamethrower on his arm that he uses to kill people with.

You must read Nextwave, you can get the trade paperback for like 15 dollars and you'll laugh your ass off.

Has anyone recommended you check out Fables yet? Also, my personal favorite comic book right now is Invincible which is cheap since each TPB runs about 14.00.

Also, pick up the Hardcover TPB of Runaways Vol. 1, you can't go wrong with Brian K Vaughn.

EDIT: And I also picked up The Irredeemable Ant-Man 1-2 yesturday as well, great book but it's hard to get used to reading about a main character in a comic that you hate to death.

Edited by Pepsi

I thought the new Batman with the guest writer was terrible. I think I will be skipping it until Morrison comes back.

I did like Onslaught Reborn. TGC tells me that might be because I didn't suffer through the old Onslaught stuff though.

That Spiderman thing sounds good. Plus I want to try Nextwave and Agents of Atlas.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

BE A VIDEO WARRIOR!

(picture of the LOD)

(name of WCW video game, can't remember)

FEATURING THE LEGION OF DOOM AND OTHER NWA STARS!

(half a page of fine print)

Just read and really enjoyed the Punisher one-shot, 'Punisher Xmas', it was a very good story very well written and the art style was good.

Tomorrow is part 3 of Doctor Strange: The Oath and part one of Spider-man Reign, which I'll check out.

Quickly, Ultimate X-Men vol 6 Return of the King. Yeah or ney? I've mostly enjoyed the series to that point, even if book four was a big pile of cock, and book five was good, but not great, and I'm not sure how committed I am to reading much more of the series.

Incidentally, I won't get Reign until Tuesday, anyone who ruins it for me will get a warning and a suspension until Tuesday. Spoiler tags please you filthmongers ({)

Beware the text message Benji, beware. :pervert:

Seriously, don't even try it, or I'll suspend you until Reign is finished, let alone when the first issue is in my grasp.

Incidentally, I won't get Reign until Tuesday, anyone who ruins it for me will get a warning and a suspension until Tuesday. Spoiler tags please you filthmongers ({)

Beware the text message Benji, beware. :pervert:

Seriously, don't even try it, or I'll suspend you until Reign is finished, let alone when the first issue is in my grasp.

Not even fake spoilers?

I don't care how fake or real, I'll suspend you.

I'll tell you somethings I've been reading of late (well, like the last year) are the Dark Horse Star Wars books...all of them. They all look beautiful and all really well written, and all "fit" with the the Star Wars feel I think.

The new Legacy timeline is a little bit annoying because it seemingly takes everything that's happened before and says "well that was nice and all, but we're just gonna pretty much negate everything that's happened and bring back the Empire and Sith", which is kind of annoying. Having said that, it's still a very good read. And Darth Krayt looks awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless Civil War: War Crimes features either Iron Man\Tony Stark getting his head handed to him (preferrably killed off) or Invisible Woman serving Reed Richards with divorce papers then knocking his block off, I won't even touch a Civil War book that isn't a regular issue of a series I am reading.

Unless Civil War: War Crimes features either Iron Man\Tony Stark getting his head handed to him (preferrably killed off) or Invisible Woman serving Reed Richards with divorce papers then knocking his block off, I won't even touch a Civil War book that isn't a regular issue of a series I am reading.

I won't ruin it, just trust me, it involves the Wilson Fisk/Kingpin and is a BRILLIANT read.

The Civil War arc has hit new amazement for me, I'm not seeing Iron Man as an asshole anymore, if you want to understand why he's doing what he's doing and realise he's not a TOTAL dick I definately suggest picking up Casualties of War. Though saying that, Iron Man is the bad guy, he's just not a bad guy.

In the New Avengers: The Illuminati one-shot, Iron Man was handed a copy of the Super-human Registration Act which will begin the Civil War.

He told the rest of the group that "A hero, probably a young one... One of the Young Avengers, or those kids in Los Angeles... Some carefree happy go-lucky, well-meaning young person with the best of intentions will do something wrong. He'll be trying to save someone- do something heroic- but he'll make a mistake. Turn to the left instead of the right and people will be hurt or killed because of it. And it'll happen on live TV, or it'll be recorded... and like Rodney King, it'll play over and over. All over the world. Until the unrest that is already bubbling over will boil over... and every politician looking to make a name for himself will run right on TV and they'll tell America how they are going to save the world from these out-of-control costumed characters who think the law doesn't apply to them. And half of us will go along with it and half of us won't. And because of this mini-rebellion, our lawmakers will be forced to make an example of someone. Someone like our friend Spider-Man. Someone they can make a real spectacle of. Someone they can unmask on TV, destroy his marriage and family and pin a crime or two on! All for the whole world to see. And the country will rupture. Sides will be taken and people will be hurt. Friend against friend. People who used to be adversaries finding themselves teamed up against a common cause. Friends dying at the hands of a former ally or teammate. That is what will happen."

Okay, I never read that. So The Illuminati KNEW what would happen beforehand? It really is just one big fake war started by someone for their own personal gain... I want to know who :crying:

In the New Avengers: The Illuminati one-shot, Iron Man was handed a copy of the Super-human Registration Act which will begin the Civil War.

He told the rest of the group that "A hero, probably a young one... One of the Young Avengers, or those kids in Los Angeles... Some carefree happy go-lucky, well-meaning young person with the best of intentions will do something wrong. He'll be trying to save someone- do something heroic- but he'll make a mistake. Turn to the left instead of the right and people will be hurt or killed because of it. And it'll happen on live TV, or it'll be recorded... and like Rodney King, it'll play over and over. All over the world. Until the unrest that is already bubbling over will boil over... and every politician looking to make a name for himself will run right on TV and they'll tell America how they are going to save the world from these out-of-control costumed characters who think the law doesn't apply to them. And half of us will go along with it and half of us won't. And because of this mini-rebellion, our lawmakers will be forced to make an example of someone. Someone like our friend Spider-Man. Someone they can make a real spectacle of. Someone they can unmask on TV, destroy his marriage and family and pin a crime or two on! All for the whole world to see. And the country will rupture. Sides will be taken and people will be hurt. Friend against friend. People who used to be adversaries finding themselves teamed up against a common cause. Friends dying at the hands of a former ally or teammate. That is what will happen."

Okay, I never read that. So The Illuminati KNEW what would happen beforehand? It really is just one big fake war started by someone for their own personal gain... I want to know who :crying: