The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Did DC's re-launch thing ever happen? I may be interested in looking into a few from the reboot.

Yes

Ten months later and people are still asking? Wow, DC didn't publicize it that well, did they?

To be fair, the actual comic book arena isn't as out in the open as it was in the late 80's, 90's. I'm a comic guy but I had to actually go looking for any information other than a random headline about the whole thing.

Did anybody pick up (or even check out) Dinosaurs vs. Aliens? I was pretty stoked for it, considering it's Grant Morrison (and dinosaurs), but when I got to the store, I saw it was really short (like, maybe 40 pages not including the sketches and script extras at the end) for $20, and also said "End Part 1" at the end. Considering LoEG is twice the length for half the price, I made that my only OGN purchase.

Amazing Spiderman is by far my favorite book right now. Just finished the last issue of Ends of the Earth. Good stuff.

Have you been reading it long or just jumped on for that? I have been looking for a good Spider Man book to jump on.

I was reading it and enjoying it until the Hobgoblin bullshit, which I thought was lame. But I should find some trades and catch up anyway.

I've been thinking about getting the trades of the Peter Parker run of Ultimate Spider-Man, but part of me just wants to act like Miles Morales IS the Spidey of Ultimate Spider-Man. I doubt it would ruin my enjoyment of Miles, but I already get Peter in the regular Spidey world, y'know?

I've been thinking about getting the trades of the Peter Parker run of Ultimate Spider-Man, but part of me just wants to act like Miles Morales IS the Spidey of Ultimate Spider-Man. I doubt it would ruin my enjoyment of Miles, but I already get Peter in the regular Spidey world, y'know?

That makes no sense, since the Peter of regular universe is like 30 and the Peter of Ultimate is 15 or 16.

That makes no sense, since the Peter of regular universe is like 30 and the Peter of Ultimate is 15 or 16.

I actually think it´s really strange how they wrote the book for a while. On one side you are supposed to believe it´s a new universe and everything is fair game and on the other side they expect you to bring in a good amount of knowledge from the normal universe.

I don´t remember the exact number, but i felt that USM got a lot stronger a lot with the later issues. That said this is the only book i subscribed to (which is dirty cheap, buying the digital comics only would be 40€, the sub is like 20$) and have not read any of the books in over a year even though i got them sitting here...

So what New 52 should I try get into?

I've got Batman #1 on it's way and I'm probably going to get Green Lantern too, also maybe Nightwing. I'd really like to try out some Superman, but I don't know if I should go for Superman or Action Comics #1? Apparently Action Comics was a lot better received. Is Justice League any good?

So what New 52 should I try get into?

I've got Batman #1 on it's way and I'm probably going to get Green Lantern too, also maybe Nightwing. I'd really like to try out some Superman, but I don't know if I should go for Superman or Action Comics #1? Apparently Action Comics was a lot better received. Is Justice League any good?

Animal and Swamp Thing!!!!! I also love Justice League Dark.

I heard Green Arrow has been a mess. Lots of good things said about Nightwing though. Ditto Detective. Superman was such a mess that George Perez (who wrote the first 6 issues) quit and has been talking about what a terrible experience it was. Action seems to be if you like Morrison it is great and if you don't it is boring. It and the first I think 6 issues of JL are set 5 years in the past. Apparently some of the issues with Superman is that nobody told Perez what Morrison was doing, and as such he had to rewrite things to make them fit.

Just my opinions and things I have read.

Batman is the best book DC is putting out, don't regret picking it up. I'd say avoid Justice League, although I am enjoying the recent SHAZAM backup. Justice League International is good, but it's ending in two months so no point in jumping on now. A lot of "The Dark" books are good- I enjoy Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Frankenstein. Action Comics is another big thumbs-up.

Ah fuck, I picked up Batman #1 rather than Detective Comics #1... have you heard anything about Batman, Grandmaster Teej?

Yeah it's written by Scott Snyder and it is apparently the best Batman in forever and ever. Started a massive storyline that is just about to wrap up.

Batman is the best book DC is putting out, don't regret picking it up. I'd say avoid Justice League, although I am enjoying the recent SHAZAM backup. Justice League International is good, but it's ending in two months so no point in jumping on now. A lot of "The Dark" books are good- I enjoy Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Frankenstein. Action Comics is another big thumbs-up.

I was curious about Frankenstein myself but never heard a good or bad thing about it. Until now.

I was curious about Frankenstein myself but never heard a good or bad thing about it. Until now.

I like it a lot. It's pretty strange, but that's to be expected. The writing duties switched from Jeff Lemire to Matt Kindt with issue #10, but apparently Kindt has has a hand in things from the beginning, so it shouldn't prove to be too jarring. Also, the art by Alberto Ponticelli is fantastically offbeat.