The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I dont know what that is. Will it spoil Avengers vs. X-Men if I look it up?

It really shouldn't, but in broader strokes it might (such as seeing which characters live through the event, for instance). I'm super excited for Marvel NOW!, if only because of the strength of the creative teams. When it comes to guys like Hickman, Gillen, Remender, and Aaron, I'll try (and if history is any indication, love) anything they write.

I won't be picking up any of the new Marvel NOW titles, but since the overhaul is company-wide, I'll be caught in the net, since I read all the Spidey titles (well, okay, all the titles with the word "Spider" in it - once Eddie Brock came back in the picture, I stopped caring about Venom) and Deadpool.

Fuck, I forgot about Spider-Man. I'm definitely picking up Spider-Man.

Marvel NOW is basically a fresh start for Marvel. All the stories will be finished and all comics start from #1 again, so it'll be a great place to jump in on any characters you've wanted to read in the past.

I was thinking of picking up the new Captain Marvel, but the cheapest copy I can find of it is £6.

Marvel NOW is basically a fresh start for Marvel. All the stories will be finished and all comics start from #1 again, so it'll be a great place to jump in on any characters you've wanted to read in the past.

I was thinking of picking up the new Captain Marvel, but the cheapest copy I can find of it is £6.

It really sucks that Uncanny X-Men is being cancelled for it, but I guess it makes sense with out AvX is playing out. That is really the only book I will miss, Spider Man is being reset too though?

I didnt care for Captain Marvel. It assumed I knew way more about her than I actually do.

I didnt care for Captain Marvel. It assumed I knew way more about her than I actually do.

The format was curious. I don't think there was really a good hook in it to make me want to keep coming back, which is disappointing because giving Carol Danvers the Captain Marvel name is cool.

You know, between the "Season One" books that are coming out, well after the release of "Superman: Earth One" and around the same time as "Batman: Earth One", and this Marvel NOW thing, I'm beginning to think that as far as major events go, Marvel is just taking something from DC and saying, "HA! We can do it better! THBPPPPPT!"

You know, between the "Season One" books that are coming out, well after the release of "Superman: Earth One" and around the same time as "Batman: Earth One", and this Marvel NOW thing, I'm beginning to think that as far as major events go, Marvel is just taking something from DC and saying, "HA! We can do it better! THBPPPPPT!"

Aside from New Number Ones, there is nothing similar between The Nu52 and Marvel NOW!. Same with the Earth One and the Season One books.

I've got part one of Knightfall on order, but I couldn't stand not having something to read, so I hit up my local comic shop yesterday and picked up Heroes Reborn: Captain America.

I know that the whole Heroes Reborn thing really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but it all started around the time that I really started to pick up comics. So I picked it up for nostaglia's sake. I'm only about 15 pages in right now, but Liefield's art makes most of the characters look identical aside from their costumes and hair. That will probably drive me nuts for the first part, until it gets to the point where a new team took control of the book.

What did everyone else think of Heroes Reborn?

I've got part one of Knightfall on order, but I couldn't stand not having something to read, so I hit up my local comic shop yesterday and picked up Heroes Reborn: Captain America.

I know that the whole Heroes Reborn thing really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but it all started around the time that I really started to pick up comics. So I picked it up for nostaglia's sake. I'm only about 15 pages in right now, but Liefield's art makes most of the characters look identical aside from their costumes and hair. That will probably drive me nuts for the first part, until it gets to the point where a new team took control of the book.

What did everyone else think of Heroes Reborn?

I thought it was a good concept very poorly executed. Especially the Leifeld books. Both Cap and The Avengers were terrible until he lost control and Jim Lee took them over and gave them to James Robinson and Walt Simonson. The Iron Man and FF books were slightly better, but they just never seemed to really take off as I was kind of hoping they would. The best thing to come out of HR was that the four books relaunched with Heroes Return and had stellar teams on them. All four were excellent for years following that.

Joe Kubert has passed away.

It's been a rough year-plus for comic book legends (Joe Simon, Jerry Robinson, Mick Anglo, Moebius, Tony DeZuniga), and it's a shame- these are the guys who really helped make the medium what it is, and with every one lost, the comic book industry loses touch with its past a bit more.

Amazon is where I do all my ordering. The Canadian site got me Knightfall book 1 for $10 off cover price, and I picked up Avengers Disassembled for $5 brand new.

If anyone knows anywhere cheaper though, I'm all ears... or eyes, as it were.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you need to get some to read for the class or what not, however I've seen a rise in libraries holding graphic novels. Just a thought, so you don't need to shell out a bunch of cash when you could get them for free. Of course, this is just a solution if you simply need to read and write papers about the comics. :)