The Arrested Development Fan Thread

Toe

Arrested Development was a great television show that gave its small fanbase a constant series of laughs each episode. For me, it was the greatest television show I had ever seen. These hilarious, awful characters like Gob and Lindsay who are somehow relatable and likeable, the unlikely and highly awesome plots, the guest appearances by big stars, Jason Bateman... the list goes on and on.

I have created this thread so anyone who enjoyed the show like I did can say it. We can discuss the characters and our favorite moments, and question why it never gained an audience.

Arrested Development - Season 3

Season Three will be out on DVD August 29th. I can't wait, personally. I missed a lot of the episodes, and I find it very enjoyable just to watch one whole season of this terrific show in one sitting.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrested Development was a great television show that gave its small fanbase a constant series of laughs each episode. For me, it was the greatest television show I had ever seen. These hilarious, awful characters like Gob and Lindsay who are somehow relatable and likeable, the unlikely and highly awesome plots, the guest appearances by big stars, Jason Bateman... the list goes on and on.

I have created this thread so anyone who enjoyed the show like I did can say it. We can discuss the characters and our favorite moments, and question why it never gained an audience.

Arrested Development - Season 3

Season Three will be out on DVD August 29th. I can't wait, personally. I missed a lot of the episodes, and I find it very enjoyable just to watch one whole season of this terrific show in one sitting.

I missed a fuckton of season three. I'll probably get the DVD set for my birthday so I can have the entirety of AD in my possession. GOB is like one of the best characters on any TV show this decade (though Dr. Cox from Scrubs is right up there too).

.....There was a season three? I thought it got cancelled after two series?

FUCK YES!!!

Series one was tremendous. Two was decent to good, but across the board, there were great great GREAT lines, and I love the repeated jokes (like Portugal being in South America, Michael and Gob arguing over how to use the intercom in series two, "I've made a terrible mistake" etc).

THERE WAS A SEASON THREE? I could have sworn on my life it ended after two....

EDIT - And how could I forget how well every character was played? And the recurring characters? STEVE HOLT!

And Wayne...

I actually just watched an ep from series one today, where Michael decides to burn down the Banana stand, and fetures Gob trying to throw a letter into the sea. "It turned out to be a much tougher dramatic gesture than he had anticipated."

Edited by timmayy

I love love love love love this show. It's the funniest thing since Mystery Science Theater 3000 went off the air, and while I've got both seasons on DVD, and season 3 in HDTV rips, I still can't get enough. I'm really looking forward to whatever extras make the season 3 DVD release.

My favorite exchange:

Marta: "Te amo!"

GOB: *exasperated* "English, please."

Marta: "It means, 'I love you'!"

GOB: *holding up watch* "Great. Now I'm late."

Pure comedic brilliance.

Edited by Heel Turn

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

George Michael: I have Pop-Pop in the attic.

Michael: The mere fact that you call making love Pop-Pop tells me that you're not ready.

I too anticipate season three. One of the funniest shows ever.

So, can I ask, when was this brought back? I could have sworn there was a thread about cancelled shows and a lot of upset about AD being one of them after season two, and I heard nothing else until now.

There are way too many great quotes to list here.... plus, its about time I re-watched the first two seasons on DVD anyway. But here's one:

"Hello, I'm Wayne Jarvis, and I'm legally olbiged to tell you there is NO candy present in this office!"

Edited by timmayy

AD had some painfully bad episodes around the time Charlize Theron was on, but it was otherwise frighteningly consistent. I never got to see the last few episodes so I'll definitely pick this set up. Hopefully they make the AD movie Mitchell Hurwitz has talked about.

Edited by Good God. What. A. Beatnik.

Tobias: As you may or may not know, Lindsay and I have hit a bit of a rough patch.

Michael: Really? When did that start?

Tobias: Well, I don't want to blame it all on 9/11, but it certainly didn't help.

This show was so different and hilarious that there was no way it would ever last in America. I think one of the big problems was just how Fox promoted the show. None of the previews ever fully conveyed exactly what the show was like to watch. Moreover, AD really rewarded their long-time viewers with various in-jokes/recurring jokes that would not appeal to someone who hadn't kept up with the show. Also, as the quote above demonstrates, AD was not afraid to make jokes that might be considered offensive or taboo to many people (the recurring kissing cousins, gay humor with Tobias, etc). It's a damn shame, this show is/was excellent.

Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.

I was trying to think about a character I didn't like in the show, and I couldn't. All the characters are good to amazing. Gob, George Micheal and Buster are my favorites, but every character is great.

This thread can also double as a never nude support thread.

I'm a huge fan of the show. It's got something of a cult following down here despite being aired at midnight on a Monday night. It's really far too witty for the American mainstream audience. Had it been started in England it would be huge.

I forgot to put my all-time favorite quote:

Tobias: Here he comes. Here comes John Wayne. "I'm not going to cry about my Pa. I'm going to build an airport! Put my name on it." Why, Michael? So you can fly away from your feelings?"

The rest of that quote is awesome.

"Well, Michael, you can try to escape your feelings, but they WILL come out, often in the most unexpected...HEY! WHERE ARE MY FUCKING HARD-BOILED EGGS?"

Bwahaha, I loved that episode with the constant Charlie Brown music jokes.

Another favourite moment of mine is the Japanese investors visit, when Tobias' giant mole is attacking the model city and George Michael flies to the rescue. Laughed my fucking ass off at that.