Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

tristy

It's on VH1 right now. It has about 25 minutes left. They just did a piece on the norwegian black metal scene, and interviewed Gaahl (!!!) of Gorgoroth to get his opinions on the church burnings did by Varg back in the 1990s. I marked the fuck out. He oozed badass in that interview.

I'm kinda pissed they included Cradle Of Filth in the "Norwegian Black Metal" group on the metal genre table thing they do in this documentary, though. They're from fucking England, man.

Yeah, uh, anyways, I just wanted to make a post about this documentary, and how shocked I was that VH1 showed something involving that whole scene, and actually interviewed Gaahl. That just blows my mind. One would think they'd choose to interview a frontman from one of the more popular black metal frontmen. Like Dani, since they're so hellbent in considering COF as norwegian black metal.

I actually haven't watched this yet for the very same reason that pissed you off.

Black Metal is great, and yeah, I'm surprised they didn't interview Dani for that segment since he is the fore-runner among recognizeable "Black Metal Figures" these days... but I'm surprised that they didn't note the difference between what Cradle does, and Norweigian Black Metal. Cradle's more Symphonic and Theatrical, whereas Norweigian Black Metal is really raw and just fucking nuts.

Either way...Thornography...out in October...go fucking buy it when it comes out, or I'll eat your soul.

I watched most of it - missed about the first......20-30 minutes, I think?

First of all, I just can't get into whatever that crap that bands like Cannibal Corpse do. Songs about death and killing people are just plain fucking sick, and stupid, in my opinion. But to each his own.

Second of all, bands that advocate burning churches, let alone actually do it, are taking things too far, even if they are true Satanists. Next time one of those fuckers tries it, I hope he accidentally sets himself on fire, too.

Third, the segment on females in metal could have been better. I've heard Doro before.....YEARS ago....and that singer for Arch Enemy was interesting, but.....can anyone recommend me any metal bands with female singers who can hit the Rob Halford\Ripper Owens\Blackie Lawless type high-pitched screams?

Oh, and has anyone ever heard of Meshugenah (sic, I know), and if you have what do you think of them? I was introduced to them by someone in an e-fed I used to be in a few years back, and thought they were pretty good.

(For the record, the ONLY band or singer that is an actual known Satanist that I thought was any good was King Diamond. (Anyone know if Glenn Danzig is a Satanist, or is it just a gimmick?))

Edited by GhostMachine

I rented it a while back and thought it was great. Quite a few good bands were interviewed and I learned quite a bit about Metal that I didn't know. Like the fact that Ronnie Dio is only 5 feet tall.

And I think it was the interview with Gorgoroth where the interviewer asked what inspires him and he simply responded "Satan." Totally badass.

I saw it about 10 minutes in, I too was shocked that VH1 would actually play something on the metal scene like that. I might not be into the hardcore metal scene and stuff, but it was still quite interesting.

VH1 actually shows some respect to music, unlike their MTV counterpart, so I'm not surprised at all.

I'm all for saying fuck organized religion everything, but metal and terrorism should no go hand and hand. It's a bit much. As for the Norwegian Death Metal guys being "badass," I thought they came across as fucking ridiculous.

"What inspires these Church burnings?" (or something to that effect)

"... Satan"

Hilarious.

The documentary itself is pretty good and very interesting, even if Sam Dunn was way over the top and had the most annoying way of speaking I've ever heard. It was like... every other sentence... was in three... word segments.

Edited by Zero

I saw it about 10 minutes in, I too was shocked that VH1 would actually play something on the metal scene like that. I might not be into the hardcore metal scene and stuff, but it was still quite interesting.

VH1 actually shows some respect to music, unlike their MTV counterpart, so I'm not surprised at all.

I'm all for saying fuck organized religion everything, but metal and terrorism should no go hand and hand. It's a bit much. As for the Norwegian Death Metal guys being "badass," I thought they came across as fucking ridiculous.

"What inspires these Church burnings?" (or something to that effect)

"... Satan"

Hilarious.

The documentary itself is pretty good and very interesting, even if Sam Dunn was way over the top and had the most annoying way of speaking I've ever heard. It was like... every other sentence... was in three... word segments.

When it comes to actually playing music, there are better channels than VH1. But when it comes to respecting music and not just playing whatever is new, VH1 is the best... once you sift through all the silly Celebreality shows. And for my money, I'd take VH1 Classic over MTV2 or Fuse... MTV2 is just becoming the same as MTV1 with some videos sprinkled in and Fuse is just terrible.

IMHO, a good music channel means they play music a lot, thats what Fuse does. Plus I like most of the music that Fuse plays, and the rock that MTV2 plays is normally enough for me. I just despise everything that MTV plays, and when VH1 actually does pick up on good music they're normally late on it. But I can say one thing, VH1 played Jack's Mannequin so they're ok in my book (Y)

I suppose it's just the natural radio bias I have, but I don't watch music on TV. The whole premise of "watching music" bugs me. I can appreciate a good video, and during the Headbanger's Ball and Grunge eras, it was great. But the video has become so bastardized and over-produced, that it just bugs me to watch them anymore. But that's the good thing about VH1 Classic, you actually get to see videos from the days when they were good (or so bad they were good).

That's why I like VH1 though, while I prefer listening to music on the radio or on CD, I do like watching shows about music. And VH1's generally the best for that.

Oh man, those Christian channels that play Metal for Jesus are hilarious. There's one that always splices the videos in between footage of Christian music festivals where there are tons of people all over the place, kids on skateboards, etc. Like Warped Tour the Christ Edition... and all I can think is "where the fuck is this happening?" That's how I know organized religions are cults, because you never hear about any of these things, they never happen in your hometown, yet when you see footage on TV, there's 500,000 people there.