Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

tristy

Gaahl was fucking badass.

"So what inspires you to write music for Gorgoroth? Where do you get your ideas, inspirations?"

*long silence*

"... Satan."

*sips wine*

The interviewer going "Uhhh..." in the background after that was absolute comedy gold as well :D

But anyway. I really enjoyed the documentary, although I think it could have worked better as a mini-series (and seriously, the origins of black metal got way too much screen time in my opinion, they should've fitted Napalm Death on there :( ). Plus it featured a lot of good bands, for example Cannibal Corpse and such, damn Corpsegrinder's neck is fucking huge (and that old lady getting handed a copy of "Butchered At Birth"? Classic shit right there)

The *only* Christian rock group I ever heard that was any good, in my opinion, was Stryper, and they only had a couple of good songs. (If you've only heard Honestly, which was their biggest hit, that wasn't one of their good songs. Seriously) When I was in high school, there was this one guy in my radio broadcasting class who was heavily into another Christian group called Whitecross, but strangely enough he never played anything by them for us to listen to.

I'm kinda pissed they included Cradle Of Filth in the "Norwegian Black Metal" group on the metal genre table thing they do in this documentary, though. They're from fucking England, man.

Well, Dani Filth is, but as far as I know he has changed the whole band so many times, he is probably the only English bloke left in them. I know that doesn't mean they aren't English, but yeah.

Plus, I guess like Gabriel suggested, they may have been looking just at how they sound...though as he also said, they still kinda got it wrong, as Cradle Of Filth don't sound like what Norwegian Black Metal bands do.

First of all I got Directv and the only thing I watch is VH1 Classic and listen to XM radio channels. I saw this movie couple times and I like it but there one thing I disagree about when he show the list of early metals bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Blue Cheer which I agree with but with the Stooges and MC5 to me there more punk bands then metal. Also he forgot bands like Lucifer Friend, Early works of UFO. But it still a great movie

After reading this whole thread, I have several things to say.

First off...if you want to know anything about black metal in Norway, go get a copy of Lords of Chaos. It has all the police reports, the stories, the testimonies...all that shit. Even has a picture of Dead after he shot himself...has Varg's testimony of his murder of Euronymous...has the testimony of the guy from Absurd from his murder of his best friend...all of it.

Second...Someone asked about a good screaming metal chick...try Karen Crisis (from the band Crisis) or the chick from Opera IX. NOTE: "That Arch Enemy chick" has a name. It's Angela Gossow. Arch Enemy fired their original, male vocalist in favor of her because she growls better naturally than he did with a synth. You don't believe me, check out some of Arch Enemy's earlier shit.

Third...Dani Filth is not a black metal vocalist, and Cradle hasn't been fucking black metal since Cruelty and the Beast back in the mid-90's. Cradle are a theatrical goth metal band that borders on laughable. They have put out 2 worthwhile albums since From the Cradle to Enslave, which are Damnation and a Day and Bitter Suites to Succubi (and that one is questionable). I know Nikolas Barker, and even he thinks Dani is all show and no substance.

If you want to talk to a prominent figure in Norse Black Metal, stay out of England. Go straight to the source and talk to either Galder, Erkkekjetter Silenoz, or Ihsahn. THEY are the forefront of black metal, and for a reason. You can't mention Norway without Old Man's Child, Dimmu Borgir, or Emperor coming into the conversation. I know Galder of Old Man's Child and Shagrath, Silenoz, and Vortex of Dimmu - they are easy to talk to and would easily talk about the "scene" to anyone who asks.

BLACK METAL 101 - go buy these albums:

-"Black Metal" by Venom. This should be obvious

-"Into the Unknown" by Mercyful Fate

-"Born of the Flickering" by Old Man's Child. If you have a problem finding it, get "The Pagan Prosperity" instead.

-"Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropy" by Dimmu Borgir

-"Wolf's Lair Abyss" by Mayhem. If you are lucky. Chances are you won't find it, so get "Mysteriis Dom Sathanas"

-"The Black Opera: Symhoniae Mysteriorum in Laudem Tenebrarum" by Opera IX

-"Murder Music" by Macabre

-"Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas" by Origin

That's all for now

If you want to talk to a prominent figure in Norse Black Metal, stay out of England. Go straight to the source and talk to either Galder, Erkkekjetter Silenoz, or Ihsahn. THEY are the forefront of black metal, and for a reason. You can't mention Norway without Old Man's Child, Dimmu Borgir, or Emperor coming into the conversation. I know Galder of Old Man's Child and Shagrath, Silenoz, and Vortex of Dimmu - they are easy to talk to and would easily talk about the "scene" to anyone who asks.

Except that, you know, Dimmu Borgir haven't made a proper black metal album either since God knows how long. Their orchestrated, forcefully "epic" albums have strayed almost as far away from original BM as Cradle Of Filth's filthy goth cock rock. Not to say that they don't have their albums: but they're a few and far between.

In all honesty, I am the black-metal enthusiast room mate of the user who I am masquerading as. I will potentially create my own account here in the next day or so though, and will post in this thread when I do.

One question though: what is your take on Zyklon/Thou Shalt Suffer as far as BM goes? (or have you even heard them yet? not to question your ability with Metal, just I only recently heard of both bands)

One question though: what is your take on Zyklon/Thou Shalt Suffer as far as BM goes? (or have you even heard them yet? not to question your ability with Metal, just I only recently heard of both bands)

Haven't listened to Thou Shalt Suffer so I wouldn't know. Zyklon is very talented death metal and I'm actually surprised how well Ishahn suits the genre. Definitively a band worthy of praise and attention.

Haven't listened to Thou Shalt Suffer so I wouldn't know. Zyklon is very talented death metal and I'm actually surprised how well Ishahn suits the genre. Definitively a band worthy of praise and attention.

Man, what's up with all the Dani Filth hate? It's not like the guy ever claimed to be Black Metal. In fact, he always states that they aren't... so what's up with all the animosity towards Cradle in reference to them not being part of the genre?

Oh, and I know this has gone a bit Black Metal orientated, but 'Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog' by Cannibal Corpse is the greatest song ever. I mean, what other metal bands have been in an Ace Ventura film?

I have no earthen idea where you got a song like that from, as "Kill Your Mother, Rape Your Dog" is a song by Dying Fetus and to my knowledge Cannibal Corpse have never even made a cover of it. If you're talking about the Corpse track that is in the first Ace Ventura movie, it's called "Hammer Smashed Face".

And yes, it is class (Y)