The Sports Betting thread

Liam

I found out myself, Indy won 34-31. What the +3 spread means, it is basically a handicap. Indy were given a +3 headstart, so that technically means that if they would have lost by 1 or 2 points only, your bet still would have won due to the +3 the bookie gave you. However, in this example, you'd get less money than if you'd have just bet for Indy to win, though both bets came in, due to you giving yourself a +3 start.

Handicaps are interesting ways to bet, and a good way of getting value out of some sports (Rugby, for example) where some matches win/loss are a bit obvious.

Edited by Liam Byrne

Yeah.

Indy 3-0 Denver

New Orleans 0-2 Baltimore

would have been the way your matches effectively started. It just means that even though the team you bet on may lose the game, depending on the handicap you can still pick up money if you bet on them on the handicap.

They also do it for football, with the away team in a select number of matches getting a goal head-start.

• 2 weeks later...

What a bummer. I did my usual two from each section bet this weekend. It consists of picking two teams from 5 sections.

I had 5 winning at half time. Full time I went to check, to my absolute disbelief 9 had won. I waited eagerly on the last result. When Jeff echoed the following words "Shrewsbury 0 - 0 Hereford".

Gutted isn't the word. Considering the fact I'd have won just over £700 and I could do with a bit of luck.

Edited by Lost Soul

• 4 weeks later...

Right, lets drag this bastard back up. Done a few accys this weekend and truth be told, it's long, long shot weekend with this lot. Well, Christmas is coming up after all. >_>

A quid on each of these:

Bolton 8/11

Liverpool 4/11

Man Utd 4/11

Wolves 8/11

Aberdeen 8/13

Celtic 1/5

Hearts 4/7

Gretna 1/2

Brechin 2/9

Celtic 1/5

Aberdeen 8/13

Southampton 8/11

Livingston 10/11

Portsmouth 11/10

Peterhead 5/4

Reading 11/8

Grimsby 11/10

Blackpool 6/5

Peterhead 5/4

Chester 11/8

MK Dons 11/8

Finally, found a whole new way to waste a quid at Ladbrokes. Gamble on any time goalscorer accys. (Y)

McCarthy 11/8

Andy Johnson 13/8

Miller 8/15

Prso 5/6

Seen Hibs were 5-1 on so went to put on a few quid but the odds had dropped slightly to 9/2

Accumulator was this week

Liverpool 1/3

Man Utd 1/3

Spurs 4/9

Birmingham 4/5

Stoke 4/6

Accrington 8/5

Notts County 4/7

Stranraer 4/7

So Yeah pretty poor picks but ya never know your luck :ohwell:

For £170 off of £1, I picked Sheff Wed, Peterborough, Tottenham, Stoke, Ipswich and Reading.

4 teams won, fucking Reading (who have caused my acca to go down a couple of times by beating teams I bet on) and Ipswich both drew. So close.

Edited by Liam Byrne

• 3 weeks later...

Bets for today? I had two, five teams accys but Bury's game is called off which means I at least can't lose on that one. >_>

Fulham

Preston

Doncaster

Bury - OFF

Arsenal

Liverpool

Man City

Sunderland

Wrexham

Man Utd

A quid each, also 1.70 on England's top batsman getting between 100-149 runs.

• 4 weeks later...

Go to Ladbrokes or Corals, and they have Weekend (or Midweek) Quickslips. All you do is look at the matches, choose who you want to go for and select Home, Away or Draw. An accumulator is based on you picking several teams and all of them coming in, so select a few teams you fancy and then, near the bottom of the slip, you'd have to select the amount you are going to spend. Once you do that, go to the till and give it in. With the quickslips, they tell you on the ticket that is given back to you how much you will win if it comes in.

You understand how betting prices work, right?

I won £50 on the Wigan vs Everton match, which consequentially, was one of the most boring matches I've seen.

Edited by Liam Byrne

Yeah, I know betting prices. (Y)

I was in Corals most of this week, roulettes & that. And I didn't see any of these 'quickslips' about. But I'll take a look a next time. Out of interest, what's usually the least amount of money you put on, or the least amount of matches you bet on? Just so I can see how others do it. :shifty: