What music are you listening to?

Benji

With The Entertainment District Renovations Act of 2006, me and Hamster have concurred to make a minor change to thread pinnage, and thusly, three new threads are created. This thread is designed for music and is a technical spin off to the beloved "/forum/index.php?showtopic=38596">Newest Albums You've Heard" thread.

Music ratings ahoy, see yourself as a new generation Kerrang!, only, y'know, good, like it used to be.

Edited by Benji O' Doom~!

From the last thread entry, which I'm sure no one read. >_>

Under The Influence of Giants - Under The Influence of Giants - 5/10

And now...

Jay-Z - The Black Album - 7/10

I don't know. It's got brilliant beats and a great flow to it, but lyrically, I don't think it's quite as strong as it needs to be. For example, Jay bitching about how he didn't do the type of lyrics like say Talib Kweli just for fame seems to be him just trying to justify the fact that his lyrics don't seem to compare to Kweli's. The effort is a good effort, however. "99 Problems", "Lucifer", "Encore", and "What More Can I Say" are particularly solid.

EDIT: davinator, I don't see a typo. The thread clearly says "What album did you listen to today?"

Edited by ROC WITH AUTHORITY!

Swollen Members - Black Magic

Another great album by the only rap group I can actually listen to. Some great tracks that sound like the classic Balance CD. Some stuff that sounds more like Heavy. And everything else in between

Top tracks: Prisoner Of Doom, Black Magic, Too Hot

Rating: 9/10

The Fratellis - Costello Music

After hearing Chelsea Dagger I was interested in The Fratellis and boy did they exceed any expectation I had. Their music is catchy and well written and fantastic to listen to almost anywhere. For the Girl is a awesome track but in all honesty every track has that certain something about it.

Top tracks: For the Girl, Creepin up the backstairs, Chelsea Dagger

Rating: 8/10

Kasabian - Empire

My biggest musical disappointment to date, after loving their first album and really enjoying the title track 'Empire' I was set for another great album, unfortunatly it wasn't to be. I could only get into a couple of songs and after a couple of listens I still wasn't into it.

Top Tracks : Empire and Shoot the Runner

Rating : 4/10

a little alphebetical order (by band)...

Alexisonfire - Crisis

Overall i really like it, but there are only about 4 awesome songs in my eyes... though I am really into the album, and have probably played it about 10 times in the last three days.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10 (but i would expect that to go up... to at most 8 it's good but not great 9+ for me is for great albums)

City and Colour - Sometimes

After hearing the first two singles I decided to buy the album... it's really good, but really mellow. If you didn't like the singles (Save your Scissors & Coming Home) then you probably shouldn't bother with it...

Rating: 7.5 out of 10

Stone Sour - Come(whatever)May

I've had this CD since it came and out have listened to it regularly, I think I like every song on the CD. It's well worth a listen.

Rating: 9 out of 10

Papa Roach - 9/10

Wow. What a return. Not just the same old thing repeated, as was the case with the majority of their previous material. They seem to have grown as a band, and musicians individually. They do take bits of the styles that seem popular at the moment - minor 'metal' moments in riffs - but it doesn't detract. Jacoby/Coby/Grand Poobah/Whateverhe'scallinghimself has definately come on as a vocalist, and sounds even better in these tracks than he did on Getting Away With Murder, which was an improvement too. The songs are catchy, without being repetitive, and there's even a track or two that sound like they belong 20 years ago (in the best possible way). My only gripe is them including a live version of a song from GAWM (Scars) as bonus material. It kind of stops it from being a total step forward, like it should be - and bar that inclusion, is.

Download: Time Is Running Out, I Devise My Own Demise, World Around You

Nine Inch Nails & Saul Williams - Live In...Mass., '05 (I think anyway. I forget.) 7.5/10

Hmm. It's not the best NIN gig I've ever heard - far from it infact. There's a really good mix of material they use though, with a nice blend of newer tracks, old favourites, and lesser played gems. Saul's set, on the other hand, is the first full live set of his I've heard. I must say, it sounds excellent. He seems to step away from the mic a few times though, which is a bit annoying. Otherwise solid, and any time I get to hear African Student Movement live, is a damn good time.

Download: Anything you can get hold of from it >_>

Norm MacDonald - Ridiculous - 4/10

And this coming from a huge Norm mark. Very disappointing, I'd wished that he'd just do an album of live standup, because his standup act is always great.

This sucks. I miss the old thread. :( IT HAD HISTORY!!!!! I don't feel comfortable ranting and raving here. I might have to bring my review thread back. :shifty:

Just started listening to "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon, sounds great thus far. I also just got hold of "The Crusade" by Trivium. I'm not overly into Trivium, but the last album was a nice listen, so I'm pretty much expecting the same from this release.

Edited by Mr. Kurt McKenna

Blood Mountain sustained my love for all that is Mastodon. Best album of the year by far IMO. And that's coming from a huge fan of both Lamb of God and Unearth (both of whom came out with albums recently).

Edited by Livid

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds

9/10

Almost a near perfect CD. There isn't a bad song on this CD and Justin seems to have really matured since Justified. It definitely wears it's influences on it's sleeve (Michael Jackson and Prince in particular), but he puts a modern twist on it. It's a funky hip hop, modern day master piece.

Alexisonfire - Crisis

5/10

Where was the Alexisonfire I fell in love with? Watch Out was a decent relese, but their first album was amazing. This seems like a shadow of what it could be. I want to enjoy the CD so much, I really do. I just can't get into it. I'll listen to it a few more times, but... I dunno. Just disappoints me.

The Mars Volta - Amputecture

7.5/10

The modern kings of prog-rock return with their third disc. Is it great? Yes. Is it better than Frances the Mute? No. But I mean, comparing the two is unfair. Amputecture definitely has some high points here and there, and Frances the Mute had it's low points - but when Frances the Mute delivered, it fuckin' delivered. Amputecture goes limp in some areas and kicks it into over drive some other times. But overall, it just seems like they couldn't top Frances the Mute. And heck, I ain't asking them too - it is impossible.

The Academy Is...- Almost Here: 8/10

My girlfriend just started to like them and I decided I'd dig out the cd and give it another listen. I used to not like it at all, but its seems to have grown on me. Some may say its generic emo shit, but its catchy as hell and I love Black Mamba so fuck off!

B000GPIPO2.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59766267_.jpg

Crossfade - Falling Away - 3.5/10

Is it sad when an album's title actually manages to be ominiously correct about the state of the band? Yeah, I'll admit it, the last Crossfade album was alright (at the 6 range, I believe), but suddenly the band got...BAD. Most of the songs attempt to follow traditional rock ideas and yet fall on their face (including the horrid closing tracks "Drown You Out" and "Never Coming Home"). It's even worse when the only worthwhile song is the one that most reminds you of the previous CD, in this case the "So Far Away"-sounding "Invincible". Perhaps losing a member or two tends to do negative effects to a band, but Crossfade could have and should have done so much better than a pallid album that draws comparisons to another 2006 rock record, Hoobastank's bomb Every Man for Himself.