What music are you listening to?

Benji

"Give Up" by the Postal Service, given the news that they're reuniting to play Coachella and releasing a 10th Anniversary edition of the album. :D

Something tells me they've had some stuff in the can for a while now. Both of them have always complained about how Postal Service stuff took forever to make a single PS song versus a normal guitar-driven track. Still glad to see they're back for at least a performance, though it makes me wonder if Death Cab is going to be on the sidelines for longer than originally thought.

As for this week: yay! New stuff! Heard the new Paramore single "Now" last night. Every Paramore fan around me clamored about how it was heavier, but that's bunk. It's a bog-standard Paramore track. Which, honestly, should be a relief to those worried about what they would sound like after the Farros left.

Edit: Just caught Coheed's newest single "Dark Side of Me". Much more accessible than nearly anything on "Ascension" (and that's not to say it was a bad album, just not their best). CoCa's a band that is consistently good when they slow things down, but hit or miss when things get cranked up. Still thinking "Decension" could rank among one of the better 2013 albums, though.

Checking out:

-Bad Religion's "True North"

-Yo La Tengo's "Fade"

-They Might Be Giants' "Nanobots EP" ("Call Your Mom" is a cool little rockabilly-style number, but nothing to write home about)

-New Order's "Lost Sirens"

The new Nosaj Thing album Home is incredibly unenthusiastic compared to Drift and this disappoints me somewhat. It is like it was conceived to be an ambient background album and sounds like it is simply a collection of mellow hip-hop instrumentals instead of the thick glitch-hop sounds that were on the forerunner. A bit disappointed at that, honestly. However, on the electronic music side of things Amazon.com just premiered a new The Knife track so that needs to be listened to sooner rather than later. Also, has anyone heard Cult Of Luna's new LP Vertikal? I have heard and read mixed reviews around the net but I still haven't listened to it myself.

No time much to explain, just LIST:

1. Bad Religion - True North
2. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love
3. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones
4. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain
5. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights
6. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood
7. Yo La Tengo - Fade
8. New Order - Lost Sirens

Edit: Okay, now we've got time to explain:

Moved the Brides up one, Armstrong down one because I paid attention to Tim's lyrics. Dude can't figure out if he is James Taylor, Blackie Lawless, or Tim Armstrong.

New Order - Lost Sirens

A pleasant surprise, but they've fallen somewhere between what they were in the 80s and a band trying to be relevant. I'd argue that they've grown up but still aren't quite sure what they want to be when they grown up. It's a disjointed album with numerous moments of goodness.

Yo La Tengo - Fade

If you wished the 90s never ended, now's your chance. This album is planted right between when Folk Implosion had "Natural One" and the Foo Fighters debuted.

Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love

The cellist leaves, the singer says they're exploring synthpop, the fans poop 'em. Amazingly, though, they've come up with something that bridges the gap between Arcade Fire and The Nerdist. It never quite wavers into chiptune territory, yet it would feel right at home. Likewise, these guys could open for AF and be just fine.

Bad Religion - True North

These last few Bad Religion LPs have featured one - maaaaybe two - standout tracks and filler beyond that. Not here. Sixteen tracks and they all have thought put into them. Easily their best in years, if not decades. Completely unexpected, but a solid contender for AotY.

Tom Waits is fantastic. I think I first came across his name on EWB and I was intrigued enough to listen to some of his earlier work. I thought it was brilliant. But then I got onto Swordfishtrombones and now I think I'm becoming obsessed. I bought Rain Dogs and wouldn't let myself listen to it until I finished my exams, and tonight I got to listen to it! It is just so wonderful, Waits tells such incredible stories, his voice fits them like a glove, and every song just sounds perfect. Clap Hands, Jockey Full of Bourbon, Gun Street Girl... so many highlights. So, in short, I love Tom and I think I want to be his best friend. :wub:

• Like 1

It's a Tuesday, so it's a time to update the list:

3. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones

4. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter (It's the closest we're getting to T. Rex.)
5. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain
6. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights
7. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood

8. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob (They can write good - sometimes great - tracks, but there's nothing here beyond "Closer" that sticks with you. Maybe "Shock to Your System", but the rest is meh.)

9. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law (They still seem to be figuring out where they want to go. Right now it's part Sigur Ros, part My Morning Jacket, part Band of Skulls. It's all good, it's just not cohesive yet.)
10. Yo La Tengo - Fade
11. New Order - Lost Sirens

12. Tomahawk - Oddfellows (I like Patton, but this one just feels listless. I know he and his cohorts can do better.)

13. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale (Lisa, please, please learn what reverb is. Everything you do is so compressed I could use it to keep meat fresh for years.)

Is Marcus Mumford just the worst live singer or simply naive?

3. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God (One of the better soul albums you'll hear. Has a different throwback vibe than just "lo-fi stoner rock".)

4. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones

5. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension (They finally remembered that songs need hooks! Not to the point of Turbine Blade or Keeping Secrets Vol. 1, but it's better than most of Acension.)

6. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood

7. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter
8. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain
9. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights
10. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob

11. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

12. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up! (Jack White goes out and grabs headlines whenever he collaborates with someone. Ben Harper? He just do what he do...and he does it excellently.)

13. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse (This one seems like a grower, but just on the surface it's worth checking out if have not yet heard FR. Proof that the British never stopped loving shoegazer music.)

14. Yo La Tengo - Fade

15. New Order - Lost Sirens

16. Tomahawk - Oddfellows

17. The Cab - Symphony Solider (The Cab has become that band that does what every popular band did five years ago. They're part Patrick Stump's "Soul Punk", part Hanson's "The Walk".)

18. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live album. I normally don't rate live albums, but this goes to show how much I just did not like this or the Loeb album.)

19. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale

Still to come: Jim James and some new singles from The Flaming Lips, Cold War Kids, & Jimi Hendrix.