What music are you listening to?

Benji

Finally got to listen to the new Helen Money album Arriving Angels today. I don't even know how to properly describe it yet; cello-based avant-garde metal with doom and drone aspirations but then not at all? Despite this confusion, it is a beast of an album. It is so well constructed, so well produced and so well played and thought out that I can't help but name it an early candidate for Album of the Year for me. People who are into like, avant-garde music and might value this kind of stuff, should head out and get this immediately. Skummy, I am looking at you.

So over the last couple of weeks, I have been delving into more abstract and strange music. My curiosity for power electronics, noise and generally abstract music began with Alberich last year, then continued on with SEAL TEAM 666 and after getting first mentioned's two new tapes, Fortification and Guard Tower, I just jumped head first into it. And this has led me currently, to stuff like Peer Group, Hong Chulki, Choi Joonyong, VICTIM! and Prurient. I have been going through some Chulki material tonight, No Silence and Amplified WC (which is exactly what the title implies), and I honestly really like it. Maybe I have been saturated with too much "conventional" music over the years but stuff like

and
has just really caught my attention. It is hard to listen to yes, but the textures and layers are amazing.

This follows neatly after my recent drone music obsession with stuff like Eleh, Dirty Knobs, Travel by Train and Taj Mahal Travellers. So yeah.

Last weekend's record shopping was around Hanbury Street, just off of Oxford Street, the haul including reasonably priced copies of Aladdin Sane by Bowie, the only one missing from our house's collection of Bowie albums (or rather the Bowie albums we would like to own).

Also picked up Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd and the Madcap Laughs by Syd Barrett. And from elsewhere a copy of Lonerism by Tame Impala, all of which my wife and I liked beforehand and will probably be on rotation for quite a while - as we're moving house all other records have been packed away.

m b v arrived by mail on last Saturday, but I haven't got round to giving that a proper listen, just bits on my commute to and from work. That'll probably be one for when we settle down and have more time on our hands than we do right now.

As for a track recommendation from the above bunch, I'll go with this one:

The current list, as far as I can recall without looking at them is:

Man Who Sold The World

Hunky Dory

Ziggy Stardust

Aladdin Sane

Low

Heroes, and there might be one more.

There are others I wouldn't mind if they were at a cheap price, but not that I'd actively seek out, partly because we have the digital files and partly because we're running out of shelving for our records. Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Sold The World tend to be the ones that are part of our weekly rotation. Either of those or Loaded by Velvet Underground seem to be on at a dispropotional rate.

Haven't got around to The Next Day yet, still a bit in between on the 2 new tracks I've heard so far and I'm almost worried to hear it and not like it. Any brief review you'd care to give on the album?

Granted, I am not that far into his discography. I have only heard Space Oddity, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Young Americans, "Heroes" and Low. I have also given a tentative listen to Hunky Dory but I need to really dig in and give it a proper listen soon. Otherwise, I still have Station to Station and Lodger to listen to, of the Bowie albums that I have, and then I am pulling a blank from there on where to go from there.

I've not heard The Next Day yet.

You do have most of the Bowie classics, but you don't have Young Americans! It's my favourite one, You also need Lodger, Station To Station, Scary Monsters and maybe Heathen.

Station to Station is actually one of the ones I would like. I forgot about that.

This morning's commute was soundtracked by the second MGMT album Congratulations, which I've been listening to for a few commutes in a row now. I didn't really like the first album, I'm not much of a synth-y person for the most part, but the second album has really grown on me and it might be a few days before I go on to something else.

A number of reviews weirdly made it sound like MGMT had gone far off the beaten track and recorded some kind of unlistenable psychedlic odessy. While I was slightly disappointed to see that this was not the case, there's a lot of good songs on it and a few poppy ones that could've been singles (I don't know if they did release any in the end).

That and I've been listening to the final version of my own band's single, which will be downloadable for nowt soon.

Cripes, there is a lot to digest this week.

Biffy's "Opposites" finally hits Spotify, so I can give it a proper thrashing. New Bowie, of course. New Clapton, as well! New singles from She & Him, Sheryl Crow, new Bon Jovi album (oh, the things I endure in the name of new music), EP from The Airborne Toxic Event, I'm sure I am leaving some out. Almost happy that the new Clutch didn't make it on there yet, as it gives me time to parse all of this down and give Earth Rocker its own time.

I absolutely cannot get this song out of my head:

But will attempt to do so by moving on to the next album I've been waiting to get stuck into. It'll either be the new Bowie, or the new Nick Cave. Nick Cave's someone I've never really got into, only small bits here and there, so I thought this would be as good a place as any to start with. A good friend of mine is itching to talk about the new material with someone, so Nick might get the nod over David for now.