What music are you listening to?

Benji

Bat out of Hell.....I wasn't even close to being alive when this came out, but I think it is one of my favorite alubms. I love the slightly theatre tones of it. I liked bat out of hell two as well. But, it's tough for that second album to compare to Bat out of Hell.

Edited by buck44

Well, I fear that most of these updates, from now, are going to mostly be about the stuff I DJ. Because, obviously, a whole lot goes into knowing the records you spin. In keeping with that I've been listening to a lot of Guido lately, a Bristol-based dubstep and UK garage producer. Picked up two of his 12" singles, Beautiful Complication/Chakra and Orchestral Lab/The Way U Make Me Feel, both of whom were pretty good. Because of that I listened to his full-length debut, Anidea, which is riddled with much the same low-key production like the other stuff I've heard. And I really like it; I really like the garage vibes he has while still maintaining this raw, throwback style of dubstep. Plus, the vocal version of "The Way U Make Me Feel" is so much better than the instrumental one found on the 12". If anybody is looking to get into some classic-sounding dubstep but still wants sort of a new twist, check him out. For more classic dubstep, check out some early The Others, Skream and Rusko singles too; fantastic stuff.

Also looking into a whole bunch of house music, specifically French house as I've been DJ'ing a whole lot of Daft Punk. Well, basically, Cassius and most of the stuff released on Thomas Bangalter's Roulé label; Bangalter's own "Spinal Scratch" single is just so good, so simple and yet so groovy. His two EPs Trax On Da Rocks and Trax On Da Rocks Vol. 2 also have a few bangers, notably "Colossus", "On Da Rocks" and "Ventura", but I am still undecided whether they merit a purchase or not.

And finally, some list stuff! I think I've mentioned Dirty Knobs before on here, actually. Anyways, I was a bit let-down by his new LP because it seems to go en-route with Field Recordings from the Edge of Hell but really lacks those, well, field recordings and thus it loses a whole lot of shape, sound and texture. It is still a nice album to lean back to but that isn't really what Dirty Knobs is about; he is about enticing soundscapes and huge drones, something that A Disenchanted Snake mostly lacks. And then there is Disclosure. Oh man, good old Disclosure. I actually came upon these guys by accident, back when I bought my first few vinyls for DJ'ing purposes. Hooked up with The Face EP and just fell in love. They make some extremely well-produced, new and fresh sounding UK garage with this element of house beats that just blows my mind. Plus, man, they have excellent guest vocalists in. Settle just had my attention from start to end, really. Most of the best work does lie in the already released singles but there are some sleepers on here, like "When a Fire Starts to Burn", "F for You", "Grab Her!" and "January", featuring Jamie Woon. So yeah, another recommendation for people looking to get into new and interesting electronic music.

Oh, by the way, concerning the new Black Sabbath; "God Is Dead" bored me to fucking tears, honestly, so I have next-to-no incentive to check it out. Are there better tracks than that or are they all dull?

Debuted
Dirty Knobs - A Disenchanted Snake
Disclosure - Settle

Top Ten
1. Helen Money - Arriving Angels
2. Redwood Hill - Descender
3. Det Nopsus - Det Nopsus
4. Kvelertak - Meir
5. Iceage - You're Nothing
6. Disclosure - Settle
7. Humanfly - Awesome Science
8. Boris - Präparat
9. Shugo Tokumaru - In Focus?
10. The Knife - Shaking The Habitual

The Great
11. Peer Group - Brutalist Sketches in the Style of Water-Stained Concrete
12. Kavinsky - OutRun
13. A$AP Rocky - LONG.LIVE.A$AP
14. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
15. Thundercat - Apocalypse
16. James Blake - Overgrown
17. Charles Bradley - Victim Of Love
18. Wormed - Exodromos
19. David Bowie - The Next Day

The Good
20. Mountains - Centralia
21. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
22. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
23. Dirty Knobs - A Disenchanted Snake
24. Alberich - Guard Tower: Cassette Works, Vol. 1
25. Alberich - Fortification: Cassette Works, Vol. 2
26. Otis Taylor - My World Is Gone

The Alright
27. Suuns - Images Du Futur
28. inc. - No World
29. Woodkid - The Golden Age
30. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
31. Snoop Lion - Reincarnated
32. Tomahawk - Oddfellows
33. Nosaj Thing - Home

Ech, No More
34. Foals - Holy Fire
35. Portal - Vexovoid
36. Emancipator - Dusk to Dawn

Been listening to the new Melvins covers album a lot over the past couple of days, having finally picked it up last week. It's not great, but has a couple of decent tracks - Jello Biafra trying to do a Bryan Ferry voice on "Every Dream Home A Heartache" (which, incidentally, is one of my all-time favourite songs) is utterly bizarre, but when it kicks in it's absolutely perfect. I always wanted a metal band to do a truly great cover of that track, and this is as close as we've got.

Love their version of "Station To Station" as well, though could have been done a lot heavier and dirtier - as it stands, Bowie's live version on the reissue of the album is probably dirtier and noisier than the Melvins version, and almost Les Rallizes Denudes-esque in places.

Best track, oddly, is the very twee and un-Melvins cover of Queen's "Best Friend", which is just a whole world of fun.

Aside from that, I've been listening to a lot of Morphine, as I picked up "Good" and the B-Sides compilation, which were the only two albums I was missing from them. "Good" has some of my favourites of their's, so it's a brilliant listen - very sleepy and moody and brilliant.

I'm waiting for the Baroness album naming trend to continue on its trajectory until we get to Baroness Diamond & Pearl before picking one up.