What music are you listening to?

Benji

I heard this one on the sirius underground garage station a week or so back, great stuff actually. Sirius radio actually isn't half bad, I may actually keep it after the six month trial deal is over, it's worth it if I discover even a few new bands. Anyway, this is Bobby Comstock, some rare rockabilly, great tune.

Newly added:
Editors - The Weight of Your Love
Queensryche (w/Todd La Torre) - Queensryche
Queensryche (w/Geoff Tate) - Frequency Unknown
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Hanson - Anthem
Black Sabbath - 13
Jimmy Eat World - Damage

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

Goo Goo Dolls - Magnetic

Portugal. The Man. - Evil Friends

Megadeth - Super Collider

The Builders & The Butchers - Western Medicine

Next up:
Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail Jesus Sir Franz Ferdinand Drake Cortes The Treaty Of Paris Arthur Pendragon
Tesseract - Altered State

The Ten:
1. Bad Religion - True North
2. David Bowie - The Last Day
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
4. Mogwai - Los Revenants
5. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob
6. Dawes - Stories Don't End
7. Johnny Marr - The Messenger
8. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
9. Clutch - Earth Rocker
10. Sigur Ros - Kveikur (A mournful record by Sigur Ros standards. It's the best album this year that you won't remember a single track name. I'd argue that these guys are some of the best hook crafters going.)

The Great:
11. Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
12. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God
13. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension
14. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love
15. Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
16. Paramore - Paramore
17. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood
18. They Might Be Giants - Nanobots

19. Jason Isbell - Southeastern (This is how country in the modern day should sound. Moving, sometimes funny, always interesting. Richard Thompson + electric guitar = Jason Isbell + acoustic guitar. A master of their crafts.)
20. Editors - The Weight of Your Love (Somewhere between the latest Interpol and a realllllly serious William Zevon.)
21. The National - Trouble Will Find Me (When they get it right, it's absolutely amazing. "Sea of Love" ranks as one of my favorite songs this year.)
22. Richard Thompson - Electric
23. Black Sabbath - 13 (Starts off well, continues at a decent pace. Moments of great Sabbath doom blues peppered throughout, but only the first three tracks and perhaps "Pariah" will have you coming back.)
24. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones
25. The Airborne Toxic Event - Such Hot Blood
26. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
27. Steve Martin & Edie Brickell - Love Has Come For You
28. Jimmy Eat World - Damage (Very urgent singles in "Damage" and "I Will Steal You Back". Eventually fades into a more wistful, wishful mourning towards the end. Their most heartfelt album since "Bleed American".)
29. The Strokes - Comedown Machine

30. Megadeth - Super Collider (I appreciate a metal album that is just straight-up metal. No theatrics, nothing overtly preachy -- yes, I know this is Mustaine's band -- just metal. This pretty much scratches that itch. Don't expect Sabbath-esque grooves or the theatrics of Queensryche or Black Veil Brides, and you'll be okay.)

The Good:
31. !!! - Thr!!!er
32. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast
33. Phoenix - Bankrupt!
34. Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum
35. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
36. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights
37. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
38. She & Him - Volume 3
39. Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
40. How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
41. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell, & Angels

42. Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends (A little bit Cibo Matto, a little bit Band of Skulls, a lot of cool. Nothing quite sticks to the ribs, but it's a great late night driving record.)
43. Iron & Wine - Ghost on Ghost
44. Biffy Clyro - Opposites
45. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!
46. Eric Clapton - Old Sock
47. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
48. Fitz & The Tantrums - More Than Just A Dream
49. The Milk Carton Kids - The Ash & The Clay

50. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain
51. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious
52. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock & Roll
53. OneRepublic - Native

54. The Builders & The Butchers - Western Medicine (Some songs will make you think the Wyatts are a'comin', but it never quite reaches that level. Check out "Pennies In The Well" or "Hellfire Mountain" for a good taste of the album.)
55. Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonelyhearts

The Meh:
56. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City (What a frustrating record. There are moments - literally just moments - where they'll hook me in, but it never holds. It's emo junk food. You hear it, but for it to really mean anything you just have to listen to it exclusively and nothing else.)
57. The Band Perry - Pioneer

58. The Goo Goo Dolls - Magnetic (They continue to have a flair for the dramatic, which helps them make up for their more simplistic parts. What Hanson has, Dolls don't. What Hanson lacks, Dolls have in spades, which makes for a better album.)
59. Atoms For Peace - Amok
60. Natalie Maines - Mother
61a. Queensryche w/Geoff Tate
61b. Queensryche w/Todd La Torre (Let's face facts. La Torre is an excellent singer, Tate knows how to write vocal hooks. The music behind these guys, no matter who's playing it, is damn near identical. Treat them as a double album.)
62. Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
63. Foals - Holy Fire
64. Rival Sons - Head Down
65. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
66. Yo La Tengo - Fade
67. New Order - Lost Sirens
68. Tomahawk - Oddfellows
69. The Cab - Symphony Solider
70. Device - Device
71. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter
72. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live)

The DO NOT DO:
73. Hanson - Anthem (Very disappointed. They're all very good on their instruments, but it's all too compressed and filtered down. No soul in this one.)
74. Brad Paisley - Wheelhouse
75. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale
-skip a few-
1.677 Billionth. Bon Jovi - What About Now?

Spinning Fishscale for the first time in forever. Takes a bit to get started up, but then it's "The Champ" and "9 Milli Bros." back to back which is fantastic.

Also, U-God is fantastic as a guest, especially on Wu-Tang stuff. Everybody else is generally real hype while he's deep, mugging, heavy. Fits perfectly.

THE WIZAAAAHHHHD!

Excellent band, been too long since I've listened. Come to the opinion that "Barbarian" is just an okay song that I super dug because I heard it just as I was getting into Conan, but I'll always have a soft spot for it. Standouts on Dopethrone are obviously "Vinum Sabbathi," "I, the Witchfinder," and "Dopethrone." Also love "The Hills Have Eyes" but it's a <1 minute track, doesn't really count.

Not sure if I've ever heard these guys, sort of like a Black Sabbath group?

If your into that stuff, check out Witchfinder General, they're awesome. They were around for the NWOBM but take their cue more from like a Sabbath or Pentagram.

Yeah, Witchfinder General is pretty great. Haven't listened to them in a while but I should spin some soon. Also, being that I live in Virginia, I am pretty bummed that I've never seen Pentagram live.

Electric Wizard are a really heavy stoned out and ultimately pretty damn fun stoner/doom metal band. Lots of their lyrics/themes revolve around old horror movies, weed, or old horror movies and weed. "Satanic Rites of Drugula" is a pretty good example of their style overall. You might like them, dunno your taste for stuff heavier than hard rock/punk.

But I think you definitely will like Bass Drum of Death and Tweak Bird.

I did check out Bass Drum of Death, dug it, good stuff that I'll need to investigate further. I was getting a goner records vibe from them.

I like some pretty heavy stuff, and am familiar with Electric Wizard. I do loge heavy metal, always been into thrash though metal even of it can be silly and cliche sometimes. There is a music forum I go to where somebody mentioned a band named Acid Witch I think? Total fucking doom/atoner metal either way, and their album cover was fucking awesome. Imagine this brilliant sort of black light poster type of cover with this demented witch, with just a really nice color scheme. That's a bit off topic now, but so cool.

"Witchfinder General" by Witchfinder General is fucking awesome, one of the most unduly overlooked heavy metal recordings of all time. It's a staple part of my DJ set at metal nights, and a genuinely amazing tune.

I did check out Bass Drum of Death, dug it, good stuff that I'll need to investigate further. I was getting a goner records vibe from them.

I like some pretty heavy stuff, and am familiar with Electric Wizard. I do loge heavy metal, always been into thrash though metal even of it can be silly and cliche sometimes. There is a music forum I go to where somebody mentioned a band named Acid Witch I think? Total fucking doom/atoner metal either way, and their album cover was fucking awesome. Imagine this brilliant sort of black light poster type of cover with this demented witch, with just a really nice color scheme. That's a bit off topic now, but so cool.

The silliness of thrash is my favorite part about it. I've heard of Acid Witch but not heard them yet, will have to remember to give them a listen.

Also, Pagan Altar is pretty fun traditional doom stuff, and they did a whole lot of pageantry with their live shows. Wish I'd been able to see some. Singer has a really high, nasally voice though, which doesn't put me off but is worth noting.

Newly added:
Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail
Tesseract - Altered State
David Lynch - The Big Dream
Pet Shop Boys - Electric

Sara Bareilles - The Blessed Unrest

Next up:
Robert Randolph & The Family Band - Lickety Split
Kanye West - Yeezus

The Ten:
1. Bad Religion - True North
2. David Bowie - The Last Day
3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
4. Mogwai - Los Revenants
5. Tegan & Sara - Heartthrob
6. Dawes - Stories Don't End
7. Johnny Marr - The Messenger
8. The Flaming Lips - The Terror
9. Sigur Ros - Kveikur
10. Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God

The Great:
11. Clutch - Earth Rocker
12. Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
13. Coheed & Cambria - The Afterman: Decension
14. Ra Ra Riot - Beta Love
15. Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
16. Paramore - Paramore
17. Dropkick Murphys - Signed & Sealed In Blood
18. They Might Be Giants - Nanobots
19. Tesseract - Altered State (I originally had this much higher, as it's a great complete album, but it's downfall in this modern day is that you have to treat it as a complete album. No individual track stands out, but the complete work is excellent. The shift to melody with their new singer works well for my ears.)
20. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
21. Editors - The Weight of Your Love
22. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
23. Richard Thompson - Electric
24. Black Sabbath - 13
25. Black Veil Brides - Wretched & Devine: The Story of the Wild Ones
26. The Airborne Toxic Event - Such Hot Blood
27. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
28. Steve Martin & Edie Brickell - Love Has Come For You
29. Jimmy Eat World - Damage

30. The Strokes - Comedown Machine
31. Megadeth - Super Collider

The Good:
32. !!! - Thr!!!er
33. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At The Feast
34. Phoenix - Bankrupt!
35. Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum
36. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
37. Chris Tomlin - Burning Lights
38. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
39. She & Him - Volume 3
40. Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies

41. Pet Shop Boys - Electric (Yeah, I'll say it, it's just lower than Daft Punk's. RAM is where dance music is headed. Electric is where it has been for a while now. Neither are necessarily bad.)

42. How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
43. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell, & Angels
44. Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends

45. Sara Bareilles - The Blessed Unrest (First half is decidedly meh due to her thinking she's Sarah McLachlan, but things pick up with "Cassiopeia" onward. Know who you're listening to, first. There's nothing ground-breaking stylistically -- this is music for subdued moms who think a wild night is a glass of wine and thinking about reading "50 Shades" -- but she does half a good job here.)

46. Iron & Wine - Ghost on Ghost
47. Biffy Clyro - Opposites
48. Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!
49. Eric Clapton - Old Sock
50. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
51. Fitz & The Tantrums - More Than Just A Dream
52. The Milk Carton Kids - The Ash & The Clay
53. Tim Armstrong - Why Complain
54. Eels - Wonderful, Glorious
55. Fall Out Boy - Save Rock & Roll
56. OneRepublic - Native
57. Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonelyhearts

The Meh:
58. The Builders & The Butchers - Western Medicine
59. The Band Perry - Pioneer
60. The Goo Goo Dolls - Magnetic
61. Atoms For Peace - Amok

62. David Lynch - The Big Dream (His attempt at a My Morning Jacket record, though his vocals fall somewhere between Dylan -- apt there's a cover -- and chuckle-worthy. If you're just really a fan of reverb-heavy, whoa-man kind of music, give this a shot. If you want the good stuff, though, go check out Jim James' newest.)
63. Natalie Maines - Mother
64a. Queensryche w/Geoff Tate - Frequency Unknown
64b. Queensryche w/Todd La Torre - Queensryche
65. Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail (The saving grace of this album is the sleek production. Some airy beats later on, some driving ones to start off. There's a hint of things feeling dated in everything, though. Not a single track really stuck with me. The names are meant to sell you on this album. Check out the guest spots from Timberlake, Beyonce, and Frank Ocean, though. Bonus points if you can uncover that it was actually Mark Henry and not Rick Ross.)
66. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
67. Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
68. Foals - Holy Fire
69. Rival Sons - Head Down
70. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
71. Yo La Tengo - Fade
72. New Order - Lost Sirens
73. Tomahawk - Oddfellows
74. The Cab - Symphony Solider

75. Device - Device
76. Adam Ant - Adam Ant Is the Blueback Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter
77. Mumford & Sons - The Road to Red Rocks (Live)

The DO NOT DO:
78. Hanson - Anthem
79. Brad Paisley - Wheelhouse
80. Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale
81....skajillionth. Bon Jovi - What About Now?

• Like 1

SRN, real question. I think you have impeccable tastes about music. But what's with the love for Disclosure? Really? You like it?