What music are you listening to?

Benji

So as donators know, my cat had a stroke the other day, and yesterday I got good news that she wasn't suffering and wouldn't have to be put down, but that she'd probably never get her balance back 100%. Last night when I was stroking her she tried to get up and lost her balance - falling into me instead. She just nuzzled into me and enjoyed it, and this song just came into my head as she did so, seemed appropriate in both a literal and figurative sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPoTGyWT0Cg&feature=kp

• Like 1

Today has been an... electic day, lets call it that. I woke up to Miles Davis Tutu, a record I haven't to in a long time but still a record that gets better every time I listen to it - it is such a fantastic fusion of kitschy 80's synthesizer sounds and solid jazz music, I can't help but love it. Then it was on to listen to the Apocalypse Now EP by Major Lazor, which is still heaps better than Free The Universe. The feature with Sean Paul is booty-shakingly good. Then it was on to something completely different; a friend of mine told me to listen to Odium by the band Morgoth, a 90's death metal band. So I decided, why not? All I am doing is reading up on some math in preparations for my exam, so I hit it up on WiMP and went to town.

And it was a great record! A really solid and hard-hitting DM album, with just a tinge of something that might have inspired Lykathea Aflame years later. I also listened through Hail of Bullets ...Of Frost and War, which is easily as recommendable. Now I am enjoying some quiet time with Steve Hackett and prog-rock. A fine day for music indeed.

I've been on a huge 80s Whitesnake trip lately. 1987, Slip Of The Tongue and the US mix of Slide It Inn all the way! I know it is cheesy, pompous, overblown Hair Metal, the lyrics are for the most part your typical 80s hair metal clichees (though Coverdale's lyricism has always been on the more schmaltzy side of things), a few of them would probably be considered offensive by some, their early stuff is considered to be their best and watching a man in his late 30s by the time these albums were released trying to prove that he has balls the size of melons between his legs is cringeworthy (he 62 now and he is still doing it BTW, albeit sans the studded black leather gear). But damn it these songs rock. If someone were to ask me what the best 80s Hair Metal album is, I'd tell him about Whitesnake's 1987. It is a shame that Coverdale's voice is so terrible these days. I'd recommend you not to go to Whitesnake live shows these days. I'm amazed that the guy actually put out not only one but two live albums last year given the condition of his voice. He still sounds adequate on the recent records.

And if you want to listen to a band that sounds like Whitesnake with a singer that can still sing, I'd recommend Germany's Voodoo Circle two you. Their last 2 albums at least. 2011's Broken Heart Syndrome has a nice 70s vibe to it and their most recent album More Then One Way Home sounds like 80s Whitesnake. Here an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4aUr7dfA8Q

Edited by TheLastInLine

Got no attention in the Punk thread...

Listening to Bigwig, one of my favorite punk bands, on YouTube, one of my favorite songs by them, Waste

and I came across this...a really awesome cover

After one of their songs was the Google Play free song of the week a couple weeks ago, I'm listening to "Zaba" by Glass Animals on Spotify. It's quite nice, got a breathy, chilled vibe to it without being too mellow.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently someone has uploaded Skyhill's "Ride With The Hunted" in full on YouTube and I, by chance, stumbled unto it. And it is honestly a really good, soothing record. I honestly thought that I was more or less done with alternative and indie rock music but this album had me from the get go; I guess because it has some really insteresting electronic segments as well. And as it turns out, Skyhill is also a band none other than Danny Sexbang from Ninja Sex Party fronted before he went fool goof (I mean that in the best possible way; I love Ninja Sex Party). I am now on the third listen to "Ride With the Hunted" and the album has only gotten better.

Anyways, if anyone is interested, click here.