What music are you listening to?

Benji

The Popes - Holloway Boulevard

The Popes were/are Shane MacGowan's backing band for his solo material, but Holloway Boulevard is one half of a double album they recorded without the great man. While in several places it does sound like Pogues-by-numbers, and some parts are lifted directly from old Pogues songs, and some of it is just cringeworthy, there's a couple of stand-out tracks, most notably the title track and "New Rose", despite it's Pogue-a-like intro, which is a fantastic song in it's own right.

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

Not one of his best, but it's still Tom Waits, so still better than most music. Follows the usual formula of his work since the "trilogy" of Frank's Wild Years/Rain Dogs/Swordfishtrombones of being pretty bleak, with some strange instrumentation, a bit of spoken word stuff, and the odd tender ballad, but somehow falls a bit flat in comparison to the likes of Alice, Blood Money or Bone Machine. "Big In Japan" is one of his best tracks, though, and "What's He Building In There" is one of the songs that got me into his music in the first place, so bonus points for those two. "Hold On" is a beautiful song in it's own right too, which would fit quite happily at any stage in Waits' career.

As promised in my prior review, I now will take a look at No Alternative - Johnny Got His Gun 78-82.

In a long line of great San Francisco bands (Dead Kennedys, Screamers, Black Randy, The Offs..etc.), No Alternative were marred in relative obscurity. Fortunately, their music has been made available years later with the advent of re-issues, compilations, and bootlegs. The album I'm looking at is a compilation of their work spanning four years.

While they weren't as in your face as the Dead Kennedys, ahead of their time like the Screamers, quirky like Black Randy, or as soulful as the Offs, No Alternative deserves their spot as one of San Francisco's best. They were a highly polished punk band with influences stemming from rockabilly and country. While their music was under the formula of pure rock and roll, there was variation in the context of songs. Some songs were grinding rock tunes and others were slowed down melodies. The music directly reflected the feelings and thoughts of a generation of kids fed up with the system, their elders, and the state of music.

It's hard to say much more about No Alternative. They weren't ground breaking, but they didn't have to be as they were excellent at what they did. They captured the spirit of rock and roll, any true rocker can attest to that. A shame that their fanbase didn't stretch beyond the bay area because they were better than many of the so-called big names of punk.

Tracks to look for: Rockabilly Rumble, My Father's Son, Folsom Prison Blues, and Make Guns Not Love

Next Review: Negative Approach - Total Recall

Edit - Thanks Liam, you reminded me to rate this album. 10/10, but that goes without saying.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Screaming Trees "Dust"

It is a shame that they tend to get lost in the shuffle when talking about early and mid 90's alternative music, but this album is excellent. A grungy take on hard rock, mixed with Mark Lanegan's quality voice makes for a good listen.

If I need to give a rating, I guess a 9/10 is fair enough.

K-Os - Atlantis is awesome. It's like a perfect combination of various elements of "Exit" and "Joyful Rebellion". Best track - Valhalla (ft. Sam Roberts and Kevin Drew of Broken Social Scene).

Blur; Think Tank

10/10

Blur are an interesting band for a me. It seems like when they played it the safe - records like the Great Escape, Modern Life Is Rubbish and Parklife - I just didn't enjoy Blur that much. Not to say the singles and a few select songs aren't amazing, but too me they don't stand well as an entire body of work. But as Blur progresses in their career and they take more chances, it seems like they get better and better. If you were to ask me to rank Blur's CDs, it'd probably shape up the same way they were released. Think Tank too me is when Blur found it's voice. Damon Albarn (and lets be honest, this CD is ALL Damon) takes so many styles and makes them all work together - the most predominant style being electronica. That isn't to say that other genres aren't represented, but electronica is most predominant. There isn't a bad song on this CD, and each song has a place and sticks too it. Even at 50 seconds, We've Got A File On You rocks out and has it's place on the CD. And I think this is what other CDs, not just by Blur but by lots of bands, is the cohesion. Everything has a place and if you remove one song you can't call it Think Tank.

Shooter Jennings & The .357's - Live At Irving Plaza

Shooter's first live album and third album overall. This time his band gets some recognition and boy they did a good job. They play most of their big ones from his albums (except the song "Put The O Back In Country") and he interacts with the crowd well. Overall solid live set, couldn't have asked for much better.

The Sufferer And The Witness by Rise Against

Solid album from top to bottom, with Injected being my favorite tune.

Get it, you know you want too.

This morning I will be looking at a band from my hometown, today is Negative Approach - Total Recall

Regions such as Massachusets, California, Florida, and Texas are widely regarded as hotbeds for hardcore punk in the 1980s. Not to be outdone, Michigan represented the midwest in a big wa with bands such as State, Violent Apathy, The Fix, Crucifucks, and The Meatmen. The best known and arguably best group to come from this scene was Negative Approach. Detroit is well known for it's gritty rock and roll and these guys put a true hardcore spin on it.

Totall Recall is an overview of their career with some live work as the album wears on. One wouldn't call Negative Approach a musical masterpiece, nor will you find it near any top 10 or 20 lists for great rock acts. What Negative Approach brought to the table was no frills hardcore, and they brought it with a vengeance. The music attacks your ears with such a force, guitars wailing, drums pounding, bass rattling, and vocals shoved down your throat. Lyrically speaking the music usually provides a "Fuck You" standpoint, basically the band's declaration that they do things their way, and fuck you if you don't like it.

Negative Approach is obviously not for every music fan. Some people simply don't enjoy the hardcore punk style as they view it as one dimensional, which might be true, but the fact is it has it's time and it's place. It's a necesary part of the punk rock lineage, and true punk enthusiasts will see why this is such a bad ass album.

9/10 and only because the recording quality of the live stuff is awful. I can't really blame that on the band though as they weren't exactly a mainstream success with the money to afford top of the line recording equipment for shows. Of course from viewing old videos of them the live show had an incredible environment, quality be damned.

Next Review: The Cramps - Psychedelic Jungle/Gravest Hits

"Young Machetes" by The Blood Brothers

I've seen onflicting views on this album already. Personally I'm really liking it. I've never been hugely into the Blood Brothers. I've liked them, and appreciate that they're great, great musicians, but they're just not a band I find myself listening to all that often. When you think of Blood Brothers you think of spastic like, crazy breakdowns and of course they're here once again. But there's also some really nice melodical bits. The electric piano really helps stop "Laser Life" and "Spit Shine your Black Clouds" being grouped as 'boring slow songs'. They do feature some breakdowns and the like. This is the longest Blood Brothers album, but it remains solid throughout. There's a few songs which I just really don't get into, and a few songs seem to overstay their welcome and drag on, a few of the songs seem really pussified for Blood Brothers songs. However I still feel like this will go the way of previous Blood Brothers releases, and be something I listen to very rarely. However, for the great musicianship I must give it 7/10.

BEST SONGS : Set Fire To The Face on Fire, Laser Life, You're The Dream Unicorn, Nausea Shreds Yr Head and Johnny Rider

"Cassie" by Cassie

Cue the "YI reviews a pop record by an artist that's caught his eye". Yes, I quite liked her two singles. Granted I only liked them at first because she was fit and had a cracking arse, but they grew on me. "Me and U" especially, has been finding itself on my playlist for the past few days, so I decided to pick up the album. It's your typical urban/R&B 'major' artist kind of release. There's a few stand out songs, which will definately become singles, then there's one or two others that you think "They're good, but I doubt they'd get over as a single" and then there's the filler. Of course there's the borderline slutty lyrics, but what female vocalist would get anywhere without them these days. The production is top notch, and whilst her voice sounds as though it's been played with/glossed up a bit, she does sing very sweetly. It's not the kind of thing I'd listen to when out and about (For fear of ridicule :shifty:) but it's good for relaxing when in the house. Nothing overly complex, just some sweet little urban styled songs. She is also totally HAWT!!! 6/10.

BEST SONGS : Me and U, Long Way 2 Go, About Time, Just One Nite, Miss Your Touch and Can't Do It Without You

Edited by Steve Mandela

Pink Floyd's first album without Roger Waters, A Momentary Lapse of Reason

7/10

Album has some high points but, most of it is just Gilmour trying to sound like Waters.

Amplifier "Amplifier"

Apart from the EP they released between the two full lengths (which I never got into), Amplifier can seriously do no wrong in my eyes. A great album, one of my favourites.

10/10

Fear Factory "Demanufacture"

I don't listen to FF often enough, just some good solid industri-metal (invented term, but meh :P).

8/10

A necessary by-product of seeing The Departed, I'm now big into the Dropkick Murphys. So far I think I'd rank the albums The Warrior's Code > Blackout > Do Or Die, although they're all good. But The Warrior's Code has "Tessie" and "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" so it's the winner.

I've been listening to 'Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager' by Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly! the last couple of days and I can't find a weak track on the album, try as I might. Stand-out tracks for me are An Oak Tree and I, Spy but they're all very good tracks and hopefully Duckworth won't suffer the same fate of some other singer/songwriters who appear, have one song then disappear again - I'm looking at you Daniel Powter!

A necessary by-product of seeing The Departed, I'm now big into the Dropkick Murphys. So far I think I'd rank the albums The Warrior's Code > Blackout > Do Or Die, although they're all good. But The Warrior's Code has "Tessie" and "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" so it's the winner.

Edited by Fitzy

Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist

At first, I thought it was awesome. Then it dipped a bit. Now it's awesome again. 'Pink Cellphone' is pointless - 'butt fucking humour' isn't cool, guys <_< - but overall, a solid effort, and better than their last album, which I thought was pretty damn good.

7.5/10

Guest The Bleeding Heart Show of Ringy

Screaming Trees "Dust"

It is a shame that they tend to get lost in the shuffle when talking about early and mid 90's alternative music, but this album is excellent. A grungy take on hard rock, mixed with Mark Lanegan's quality voice makes for a good listen.

If I need to give a rating, I guess a 9/10 is fair enough.