What music are you listening to?

Benji

Sufjan Stevens - Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lake State is growing on me. Before I was just all about Illinois and Seven Swans, but this one is sort of the happy medium between the two. Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! is so awesome.

What's the Styrofoam remix like? I'm not that fond of "Drugs Or Me" but Styrofoam are great. So I'm hoping it's good. Having just heard it...damn, it's the best track on there. My lovey Styrofoam. "Disintegration" is pretty good too, but it seems to drag in places.

Edited by Mr. Kurt McKenna

Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds

Awesome album. There isn't a bad song on it. Total value for money and I love the fact that Sexy Ladies lead into My Love bascially. It's too hard to even say which song is the best as they're all top quality. My personal favourite is the 7 min long LoveStoned as it's an awesome song with the fast beat followed by the slow beat near the end. Top notch album.

10/10.

Hubble Bubble - First LP (1978)

Funny, nobody is really aware of who these guys are. It's probably do to their location (Belgium) but they had a great sound in that sort of 77 style punk mold. There are subtle differences in their music with the sound of the vocalists voice, and the tempo of the music. Had this band been from the United States or the UK they'd be highly revered in a similar capacity to the Damned, Richard Hell, or Johnny Thunders. Maybe not quite the same accolades as the Clash, Ramones, or Sex Pistols, but still prominently figured in one of the better known punk acts of their time.

They even have a song that had to have influenced the Cockney Rejects. The guitar riff has a nearly identical sound to "The Great Cockney Rip Off", then again it coud just be some strange coincidence.

9/10 on this one.

I took the day off work so I knocked off a few albums:

8foot_breed.jpg

8 Foot Sativa's Breed The Pain

9/10

8 Foot Sativa come out with a new vocalist Matt Sheppard(the brother of Drummer Sam Sheppard), and give their music a much harder black metal feel to it. Recorded at Studio Underground omSweden, it really shows a distinct maturity in the band and Guitarist Gary Smith pulls out some mean axe work. Matt Sheppard's vocal's are a lot deeper than Jackhammer's from the previous two albums, and perhaps are the reason from the slight slip from the 10/10, however his vocals have grown, and were a lot better Live, and in the first Sinate album that follows. The Punishment within, the second to last track, is the only track that drags as it doesn't introduce any new sound to the album, and just seems to rehash what has already been played in the album. However, they do pull it back in the final track, Genetic Treason, the most brutal track on the album.

Tracks to look out for: Perputual Torment, Altar of Obscenity, Human Abbatoir, & Genetic Treason

Tracks to perhaps skip: The Punishment within

blindspott.jpg

Blindspott's Blindspott

5.5/10

Kiwi-rocker's Blindspott's debut album. Very slow hard rock. Gets incorrectly labelled as Metal by the main-stream media. The tracks all blur into one, except for the occasional song, that are known to the New Zealand public as their singles. It really is an album that was released with A-quality Singles, and the rest was just lumped in B-quality shit to pad it out into full album length. A couple of the songs (probably the best example Nil By Mouth), use both clean vocals, and a little bit of basic growling in the chorus. Unfortunatly I really didn't like this album much, as their is to much time between good songs, and really is just an album you play in the background.

Tracks to look out for: Mind Dependancy, Nil By Mouth, Phlex, and maybe Ilah (Silent War)

Tracks to perhaps skip: Pretty much the rest of the album.

gd_itd.jpg

The Grateful Dead's In The Dark

8.5/10

After hearing so much about the grateful dead, and about the dead heads, I had to get my hands on an album and give it a listen. I am very grateful(bad pun!) I did. I apparently got my hands on one of the last studio albums, and the album that really finally gave the Grateful dead their real billboard hit success. All through this album, is just mellow rock, which after a few listens you can't help but sing along. Perhaps the only song which I don't think should be on the album is West L.A. Fadeaway, and that is not because it isn't a good album, it just isn't up to the caliber of the rest of the album. As I'm new to the grateful dead, and as they have such a big discography (13 Studio Albums, about 3 times that in Live Albums, and hundreds of concerts free to download off archive.org), I would really like someone to push me in the direction of what Grateful Dead music I should get my hands on, because if it's anything like this album, I wanna hear it.

Tracks to look out for: Touch of Grey, Hell in a bucket, When Push comes to Shove, Ton's of Steel(espically, I Love this song), Throwing Stones, Black Muddy River (okay I named all the songs on the album but one :P )

Tracks to perhaps skip: West L.A. Fadeaway.

More reviews to come.

Edited by iamdanielj

5359b.jpg

Nine Inch Nails - "The Downward Spiral"

Rating: 10/10

A brilliant, brilliant album. I've listened to it countless times, and it has not once got old. Every track on the album has its place, from the mechanical gun shot beats of 'Mr. Self Destruct' to the classic 'Hurt'. None of the tracks are skippable, even the calm instrumental 'A Warm Place' is perfect.

Standout tracks: 'Closer', 'Ruiner', 'Reptile' & 'Hurt'

I've been rotating between Breed 77's "In My Blood", Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly's "Chronicles Of A Bohemian Teenager" and Justin Timberlakes "FutureSex/Lovesounds".

Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly's album is awesome, easily one of the best I've heard all year, Breed 77's has been growing on me, but isn't as good as thier second one, yet, and Justin Timberlakes is good, but again isn't as good as his previous effort.

It's not an album, but I've been listening to the 5 song sampler of Killswitch Engage's upcoming effort "As Daylight Dies". IMO, from what I've heard, it's already better than The End of Heartache and one would probably note that it's a bit heavier as well, but also goes to their roots. Like Mike D'Antonio (Guitarist) said, there's a riff in "My Curse" that sounds like something Corrosion of Conformity would've done.

Oh, that and JT's new album. I never thought I'd utter the words "Justin Timberlake's album is pretty good", but I have and it's actually really good. Good on him for shredding a stigma I thought he'd never shake.

And of course, Blood Mountain's ranked up there on the play count.

Edited by Livid

I went through a few 'older' albums today (Stuff released a year or two ago).

"Frengers" by Mew

Damn, damn, damn. I like "And The Glass Handed Kites", at first I thought it was their debut, then I found out they'd made a few other releases (A handful of tracks were on a couple of the CD's, so not all new material). I've had their catalogue for a while now, but I never got round to listening to an album in its entirety. I found "And The Glass Handed Kites" as a good album, but my oppinion sort of fell after I realised it wasn't their debut...with 3 albums under their belt surely it could have been 'better'...(I still think it's great, and listen to it a fair bit, don't get me wrong). So when I listened to "Frengers" I wasn't expecting all that much. The first 3 tracks rocked my socks off!!! It loses drive a bit after that (For a short time). I am not a fan of "Symmetry" and "Behind The Drapes" is hit and miss (I like the ending though)..."Her Voice Is Beyond Her Years" is another solid track (Like "Behind The Drapes") but nothing overly great. "Eight Flew Over..." again continues the trend. Until the greatness kicks back in for the last 3 tracks. "She Came Home For Christmas" is unbelievabley beautiful. "SheSpider" has a mournful verse and a kick arse chorus. And "Comforting Sounds"...is beautiful. A little long winded (With the band looking for a 'classic'), but it never overstays the welcome...though a little variation would be nice. Still a great song. I love the chorus. All in all 6 really, really great songs. 3 pretty good songs. And 1 poor song. I give it an 8/10. Definately my favourite work from the band (Though less tracks on than "And The Gass Handed Kites"...and less tracks that jump out at you as 'great' on first listen. Only really "Snow Brigade" did that, but that's because it reminded me of "Apocalypso")

BEST TRACKS : Am I Wry No?, 156, Snow Brigade, She Came Home For Christmas, SheSpider, Comforting Sounds

"From Under The Cork Tree" by Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy are one of those bands that I wanted to hate for so long. But I found myself loving their stuff more and more when I heard it. They're one of those bands that write horrifically catchy songs, which we don't see enough of these days. On my first listen I realised that they're very 'hit and miss'. There's the songs that you think, "Wow, they're great", but then there's the songs that seem a little boring. Plus the fact I absolutely detest "Dance Dance"...the only good thing about the song is the bridge, but even that is hurt a bit by the guitar playing the vocal line...which is just a pet peve of mine. I also hate the second video for "Sugar, We're Going Down". I liked the one with them on tour. But yeah, when they get it right they're fabulous. "Of All The Gin Joints In All The World", "Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner" (Though I prefer the acoustic version), "7 Minutes In Heaven" and "I Slept With Someone in Fall Out Boy..." then there's the solid songs "Champagne...", "Sugar...", "Little Less 16 Candles", "Our Lawyer Made" and "Sophomore Slump". There's a few songs I just flat out dislike, "Dance Dance", "Get Busy Living..." "XO" (It starts so well though) and "I've Got a Dark Alley". I dunno. It depends on my mood. I'll give it 6/10. It's better than I thought. I like it. But then again, it's nothing fabulous.

BEST TRACKS : 7 Minutes In Heaven, Of All The Gin Joints in All The World, Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner, I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy......

"Rooney" by Rooney

This is one of the few albums I tout as having 'No Bad Tracks'. And I still stand by this. Rooney emerged during the time when there was many upon many cookie-cut indie bands emerging in the UK (Shame Rooney never made any impact at all), so when I was recommended them (Knowing nothing at all about them) I presumed I'd get the same. But no. What I got was a musical orgasm. Cool melodies, beautiful songs and mediocre lyrics. And I loved it. These days it's very rare for a band to have an 'original' and recognisable sound. Especially an 'indie' band. But Rooney did it. Still to this day (3 years on). I have not found somethign that sounds 'identical' to Rooney. They're just an amazing pop-rock-indie band. Whether it be their slow songs, their fast songs. Whatever, it's all good. Get this album. Their follow up comes out in October. I cannot wait. 8.5/10. It's so difficult picking a few songs from here. As I already said, they're all great. You might say, why if it's all great tracks, why's it not 10/10...well I never give anything 10/10....plus whilst all the songs are great...it just seems to be missing something to take it to a 9.

BEST TRACKS : Blueside, If It Were Up To Me, I'm Shakin', Sorry Sorry, That Girl Has Love, Simply Because

"Plans" by Death Cab For Cutie

I hate "Stable Song"...damnit, I hate "Stable Song"...get rid of that, chuck "Talking Like Turnstiles" on there and you've got an 9/10 album on your hands. It's weird though, as I like "Stability"...which is a longer, more drawn out version of the song. I just don't think it works with acoustic guitar. Plus I think "Brothers On A Hotel Bed" would make a sweet final track (With the fading out piano at the end). It's a much more sweet/beautiful album to "Transatlanticsm" and definately shows a maturity, in both content and composition. But I just don't find it as good as an album. Lots (And I mean lots) of the songs I rank better than those on "Transatlanticsm" but the previous album was put together perfectly, it was so fluid. Everything was in the right order, and as an album it was perfect. But yeah, some definate Death Cab classics on here. For example, I was surprised at how much of a response "What Sarah Said" got live. As there was a pretty big cheer when the piano riff started, and there seemed to be a lot of people singing along (I was far back though :(). 8.5/10. Great album. Besides "Stable Song". The rest is great. "Summer Skin" has grown on me...and the rest deviates from solid to amazing. It's just a beautiful record though. But just lacks something to take it to "Transatlanticsm" standard.

BEST TRACKS : Marching Bands Of Manhattan, Soul Meets Body, Different Names For The Same Thing, Crooked Teeth, What Sarah Said, Brothers On A Hotel Bed

Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock & Roll

I've been getting back into Art Brut in a big way lately, and while the album is incredibly flat compared to their live performances, it's still a great feel-good album. Just pure irony-coated and thoroughly great indie-rock, and so very British. Clearly Jonathan Richman, Pulp and The Fall influenced, it irritates me that the rest of the "art-rock" bunch have got so much bigger than the best of the lot.

Best Tracks: Emily Kane, Good Weekend

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Probably Mr. Waits' most difficult album (and that's quite an achievement), it's really bleak, and thoroughly odd, exactly what you want from him. Amazing lyrics, although often overshadowed by the sheer bizarre nature of a lot of the music. Sticks to the usual Waitsian formula of having a load of aggressive songs, along with a good sentimental ballad ("Who Are You"), and the emminently listenable, that could be a pop song if it weren't coming from him ("I Don't Wanna Grow Up", in this case. Listen to The Ramones' cover for further proof). Far from his best album (that accolade goes to either Alice or Rain Dogs), but still better than most music.

Best Tracks: Earth Died Screaming, I Don't Wanna Grow Up, Who Are You

The Pogues - If I Should Fall From The Grace Of God

It's the fucking Pogues. One of the greatest poets/lyricists of the 20th century in Shane MacGowan, with one of the best bands in the world behind him. While there's a couple of tracks that aren't great (most of the bonus tracks on the re-issue), most of it is phenomenal, lyrically more than anything.

Best Tracks: Fairytale Of New York, Lullaby Of New York, Fiesta, Streets Of Sorrow/Birmingham Six

John Mayer - Continuum

Great fucking record. I liked "Heavier Things" but even I had a hard time arguing for it as a start-to-finish entity. This one's a really solid fusion of his radio friendly pop with his more recent blues/funk inflences and almost certainly his best effort yet. I think this'll end up being one of my favorite albums of the year.

The Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks...

I've wanted to do this review for a bit. A lot of folks might construe this album as overrated, but in musical circles I speak with many people underrated the album. It's cited as rubbish, a manufactured rock albums, a boy band posing as rockers, and all of that is bullshit.

Paul Cook and Glen Matlock comprised a great rhythm section for the band. They kept everything nice and tight for the band. Steve Jones guitar would thunder through each track helping to punctuate Rotten's vocals. For those that like stripped down rock and roll, this is a good album for that. Rotten had a knack for writing great lyrics, even going toward his work with Public Image Limited. He was a brilliant mind for writing in a sardonic fashion but keeping a social message within the words.

All of those factors combined for an awesome album.

Borrowing from you fellows above me, I'm going to list a few tracks to keep an eye out for: Problems, Bodies, No Feelings. The whole album is worth a listen, but those are probably my three favorite songs.

I enjoyed writing that review. I'm going to make a habit of this.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Again, not an album. But, what you gonna do?

Strung Out - "Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues 10 Year Anniversary Show (9/16/06)"

Okay, I'm trying not to come into this 'review' with bias. As many of you will know, this is not only one of my favourite bands, but this show also features the entire playing of one of my favourite albums of all time (And THE GREATEST pop-punk album in existence...FTW). Just looking at the setlist I knew that this was going to be a good listen;

STWB : Firecracker, Better Days, Solitaire, Never Good Enough, Gear Box, Monster, Bring out Your Dead, Rottin' Apple, Radio Suicide, Somnombulance, Six Feet, Speed Ball, Wrong Side Of The Tracks

Plus Non-STWB Tracks : Too Close To See, Blueprint Of The Fall, Lost Motel, Razorblade, Novacaine, Never Speak Again, Matchbook

Edited by Mr. Kurt McKenna

B000HIVO64.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39979607_.jpg

Beck - The Information - 9/10

Wow, what a record. I didn't think Beck would make a record as awesome as Guero this soon, but this blasts Guero out of the water and may actually be my favorite Beck CD on first listen. The best of 2006 so far, and that's quite a feat.