What music are you listening to?

Benji

I was about to type a big post about how Adele is overrated but I am tired as fuck and I can't be arsed. So I won't and say that I have been listening to a shit-ton of Spleen United as of late, mostly because I went and saw them live last Friday (their first show in a six months or something) and it was amazing. They played most of their best songs and a mix of some of the better new ones; basically, a great gig, a great band and some great modern synth-rock on display.

I was about to type a big post about how Adele is overrated but I am tired as fuck and I can't be arsed.

Adele overrated? I don't agree. Overexposed, over purchased and overplayed, yeah. But barely any publications, besides the ones now filled with out-of-touch 50 year old white dudes (Grammys, Rolling Stone), are over-praising Adele albums. If we're talking live performances, I think that boils down to the fact Adele is focusing on the live music (which the music press loves) and everybody else is throwing on crazy costumes and coming up with elaborate visual stories for their performances (which is SOOOOOOOOOOO 2008, guys! :wacko:)

I quite like Adele, she's got a couple of nice songs, but she's nothing special. She's a girl who can sing well - there's millions of them out there and, honestly, that's often the easy part.

I can't stand Adele, and It's by no means for. want of hearing her music. Something about her rubs me up the wrong way and her music is so dull and joyless. I don't even rate her as a singer - she can hold a note but she has absolutely no dynamic range.

The ridiculous Alison Moyet comparisons make me laugh though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I49CLm6VBBM

Aphrodite's Child, good shit.

And then sometimes I come across some weird shit. The Shaggs were an all-girl band from the sixties formed by their dad, Frank Zappa cited them as one of the greatest bands he'd ever heard. Can't say I agree with that sentiment, but the band is certainly a curiosity, and worth a listen for those of us looking for musical oddities.

Edited by VerbalPuke

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to some danish-swedish punk group called 1000LAX (should be roughly translated to "Thousand Salmon"). They are pretty entertaining so far, mixing stripped down punk with humorous lyrics with witty political insight. If any of you guys heard of Iceage, you should probably check these guys out.

LCD Soundsystem. I didn't love them so much when they were still actively making music, but hot damn, they've got some great songs.