What music are you listening to?

Benji

If you have this Karp/Rye Coalition split, you need to listen to it now. Especially if it's the version with eight tracks.

I don't...I've never actualy heard of Karp, what are they like?

Interestingly, I also bought Watertown this week. It wasn't quite as good as I was expecting, but I've listened to it from start to finish two or three times in a single day, so it's obviously got something going for it. The production just seems a little at odds with the subject matter - the kind of abstract sadness of the lyrics, and of Frank's voice, isn't really matched in the music. I can definitely see it growing on me in a big way, but "Only The Lonely" is still a lot better for me - the orchestration is near perfect, and there's just this feeling of Sinatra down and out at the end of the bar, telling his troubles to anyone who'll listen. It's let down by one or two dreadful tracks, but in places it kind of feels like Tom Waits twenty years early.

Actually, that is what I felt as well. "Watertown" is a great record but the music does not fit the feeling that it is supposed to evoke; at least not all the time. At times, it almost sounds happy and uplifting.

Actually, that is what I felt as well. "Watertown" is a great record but the music does not fit the feeling that it is supposed to evoke; at least not all the time. At times, it almost sounds happy and uplifting.

I don't mind it sometimes sounding a little happy, because there's hints of nostalgia and happy memories to the lyrics; it's a really interesting concept, as generally pop music deals with very basic, straightforward emotions - your unhappy because your girl left you, or because she was never your girl in the first place, basically. Because the music, historically, has been predominantly marketed at teenagers and young adults, it deals with a level of sadness that they're familiar with.

But the idea of a concept album based around adult melancholy, surrounding a break-up that's happened for no real defined reason other than because life doesn't always work out the way you expected...it's a kind of abstract sadness, that pop music doesn't often approach.

It reminds me of a line from the Divine Comedy song When A Man Cries; "the reasons are vague, and hard to put into words, just a dull, abstract ache".

I guess I was expecting another "...Only The Lonely", and I was wrong to expect that, because it's dealing with a different kind of emotion...but the arrangement still just doesn't seem quite right. It could grow on me, though.

I've been listening to the Anthology of American Folk Music. Obviously, given the nature of the subject a lot of the songs are pretty threadbare or uninventive, but as a historical document it's absolutely fascinatibg.

And after three days I've finally listened to it all! It's pretty incredible, gets better towards the end because there's fewer ballads and more fuh tunes. The sheer variety, is amazing too, considering the songs are like eighty years old. Bits of Delta blues, bits of bluegrass, lots of stuff in between.

Now I'm listening to the Smile Sessions. Never listened to it before, or Smiley Smile. Though I have listened to the Brian Wilson version.

words

It is probably why I am having... trouble, for a lack of a better word, to attach to it. It is not a bad album at all, it is a great record but it probably doesn't call to me the same it would call to, say, my dad.

If you have this Karp/Rye Coalition split, you need to listen to it now. Especially if it's the version with eight tracks.

I don't...I've never actualy heard of Karp, what are they like?

Karp's one of the early bands of Jared Warren from Big Business. If you know Big Business, they are very similar to that but way earlier and rawer.

I don't know much Big Business, but I saw them live once, and they fucking ruled. And there's a Melvins connection. Will definitely check that out.

I have never knowingly listened to black metal before, but someone at work recommended I listen to the most recent album by a band called Liturgy who seemingly fall under this heading. So I am like halfway through the first song and wow...it's pretty incredible. I've never heard anything like this...in a good way. It's really scary, again in a good way.

I have never knowingly listened to black metal before, but someone at work recommended I listen to the most recent album by a band called Liturgy who seemingly fall under this heading. So I am like halfway through the first song and wow...it's pretty incredible. I've never heard anything like this...in a good way. It's really scary, again in a good way.

"Aesthetica" was one of my favorite releases from last year. If you like that one, you should totally check out "Renihilation" as well; it is a bit rougher around the edges but it has the same droning quality to it.

I recently listened to Spin's Best Metal of 2011 compilation. The first track was a song by Lithurgy. It was about 8 minutes long and an instrumental, but it was the same riff over and over again. I did not like it.

In fact, the other 18 songs on it I didn't really like either. :shifty: I think there was just Megadeth, Anthrax and Korn (ft. Skrillex!!!) who I'd heard stuff from before. Mastodon were also in their top 20 list on the site, but they were the only band not to have a song on the download. And the only one I was really interested in.