What music are you listening to?

Benji

Yeah I saw the Hives set. Was pretty awesome. Loved the tuxedos.

I watched a great deal of the sets through the weekend on the stream.

Neon Indian were funky as always. Yuck impressed me... wasn't a fan before, will download their LP. Arctic Monkeys looked bored. Frank Ocean was disappointing, sound was off. Refused was out of this world. Azealia Banks was great and fun. Childish Gambino sounded much better live than recorded. Kaiser Chiefs surprised me for being a lot of fun. Bon Iver was meh for me. SBTRKT had, bar none, the best set. Radiohead were chill. The Hives delivered a great set live.

Dr John is a cool dude. I've been listening to him lots recently. I think he's a bit underrated yanow. These are my favourites:

This is cool but a bit weird. It's musically a bit like Velvet Underground or perhaps Captain Beefheart with kids singing patriotic songs over the top of it...just because. It's cool.

And I couldn't find the other one I was looking for on Youtube so this will do:

He's GOT THE FUNK!

New album too. it's nice, more slickly produced than his usual stuff.

All I know of Dr. John is that one regular customer and an... irregular customer got in a fight about who came first; Dr. John or Tom Waits.

Also, I have listening to a lot of Comus today. British progressive folk. They are really very rather good, glad I ordered their limited edition live LP a few weeks back.

I found Trout Mask Replica really, really difficult to get into! I think quite a lot of people get that first and find it too weird and never listen to Beefheart again, which is a shame. I did that, and it put me off him for ageeeeeees until I got Safe As Milk and listened to it. It's more bluesy and only a little crazy. I found it much easier to jump into Trout Mask Replica from that. But maybe you will like the crazy stuff. I did in the end. the only other record I've ever given up on for being too weird was D.O.A. by Throbbing Gristle. :shifty:

I got Trout Mask Replica first and really dug it, but I went to a college with a jazz conservatory and a lot of crazy people, so I was a bit primed for it.

Checking out The Black Keys' cover of "Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles." It's not bad, really, but it's missing the very personal and touching element that I loved so much from the Beefheart.

So I've been listening to lots of stuff recently. i always do when I've got exams to prepare for. At least I haven't started a game of Football Manager. :shifty:

The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions

This is really similar to Brian Wilson's Smile. I mean, I obviously expected the same tunes but the performances are very different, and there's the voices of the other Beach Boys obviously. The songs are really good, but I heard Brian Wilson's version first, so there wasn't really any impact. A good album, but still a bit pointless?

Anthology of American Folk Music

I listened to this out of historical interest - it's 84 folk, blues and country recordings from 1927-1932. But you know what? Some of that stuff is really good. There's a few songs that kind of seem to straddle the divide between Delta blues and country music which was pretty unusual. Those were my favourites.

Destroyer - Kaputt

This reminded me a bit of Steely Dan, but with a bit of a wimpy voice. Lovely and lush, probably good for summer. More people need to try to sound like Steely Dan.

Django Django - Django Django

This was fun too. They are Scottish so I am duty bound to like them :shifty: but their stuff is really cool. Pretty psychedelic...but you know...good. Unlike most psychedelic music since 1968, Dukes of Stratusphear notwithstanding.

Drake - Take Care

This was boring and whiny. The best song on the album is Take Care, which is much inferior to the Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie Xx original.

Blue Brazil Volumes 1&2

A Blue Note compilation of Brazilian Jazz. Amazing! Obviously.

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

This was surprisingly very good. I suppose you could say this was Fleetwood Mac's Pet Sounds. it's really nice. I will listen to this again.

Focus - The Best Of

I only knew Hocus Pocus, House of the King and Sylvia beforehand. Those are probably still my favourites, but the rest are really good too!

Grateful Dead - Live/Dead

This is cool. Kind of predictable but it does exactly what I want. Track of feedback is silly though. What's the point?

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

I listened to another one of their albums once and it was shit but this was really good. Fun acid rock.

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina

This was lovely. Just really nice lush 60s pop. Really good songwriting and good arrangements. Maybe a bit like Love, but unjustly overlooked.

Liturgy - Aesthetica

I've never listened to a black metal album before. I really enjoyed this. I dunno if it's just because it's new to me or I will have some form of love affair with the genre though. It sounds amazing though. I love the production. It sounds so vast and powerful, but not in a naff way. Brilliant. I think I mainly like it because it is produced in such a way that it sounds like it is coming from a massive medieval French cathedral. That's cool.

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I thought this was going to be pretty different from other M83 stuff. But it's not really, there's just more of it, and there's lots of interludes. It's very nice though. Very dreamy, as you might expect from the title, as if it being M83 wasn't enough to confirm that already.

The Mamas & The Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears

Lush 60s pop is one of my favourites, but I was put off listening to this for so long because the band members were a bunch of fruitcakes! But I am glad I did. This is really nice, great harmonies.

The Monkees - Greatest Hits

Yeah this was good fun. Some really good tunes, and some real dross. But the really bad ones are also a bit funny.

scott Walker - Til The Band Comes In

I've been listening to Scott Walker a lot recently, and this was the only one of his early(ish) albums I'd never listened to. And it was very good. Nothing ridiculous, just early Scott Walker, but still really good.

Scott Walker - Tilt

I had never heard this before either. I think I like this even more than The Drift! It's a bit more...catchy. Which sounds ridiculous. :shifty:

Serge Gainsbourg - Du Chant A La Une

Musically, it's fairly standard 50s chanson. I'll need to have another listen to get the hang the lyrics but they seem satisfyingly odd.

Still to come: Ravi Shankar, Fucked Up, a compilation of Cambodian pop music, Bill Callahan/Smog, John Entwistle's solo album :shifty: , Eyehategod and the Cramps!

Dr John is a cool dude. I've been listening to him lots recently. I think he's a bit underrated yanow. These are my favourites:

New album too. it's nice, more slickly produced than his usual stuff.

Agreed. It's been spinning here in the shop since its release alongside the new Bonnie Raitt. Both albums are very good at what they do. Raitt's is a lot less about the guitar flair and more about the actual rhythm ("Marriage Made In Hollywood" is probably the standout), while Dr. John is just creepy enough to keep me hooked.

New Soundgarden single is free on iTunes for a bit, definitely grab that if you dig the Down on the Upside-era style. If you don't, then proceed to get bent. :shifty:

I'm a bit disappointed in the Soundgarden single, to be honest. From the 22-second snippet, it sounded like it was going to be a massive rifftastic tune, similar to Badmotorfinger and Louder Than Love era. Instead, it sort of floats around between that era, a bit of Audioslave and solo-Cornell. The main riff and the solo are excellent, but the verses sound a bit too Bond-themeish. Not surprising that it is the theme for Avengers then.

I read on the reliable source that is Youtube, that Cornell has stated that this song is a "family friendly" tune for the film, which I guess is where I'm getting my 'watered down' feelings from. Hopefully this isn't the case for the album.

The Who Sings My Generation. "A Legal Matter" may have the most ridiculous chorus I've ever heard.

Edit: I had originally posted something about how amazing the cover of Heatwave on that is, but then I realised that that cover is on A Quick One.

Still a brillant cover though. :shifty:

I found Trout Mask Replica really, really difficult to get into! I think quite a lot of people get that first and find it too weird and never listen to Beefheart again, which is a shame. I did that, and it put me off him for ageeeeeees until I got Safe As Milk and listened to it. It's more bluesy and only a little crazy. I found it much easier to jump into Trout Mask Replica from that. But maybe you will like the crazy stuff. I did in the end. the only other record I've ever given up on for being too weird was D.O.A. by Throbbing Gristle. :shifty:

Yeah, Throbbing Gristle is really fucking odd, though I do love 20 Jazz Funk Greats, Discipline is a great song. They were fucking off the wall, and their live shows were even nuttier.

I've been listening to this a lot lately. Amazing that my dad probably bought this album sometime in the 1970s or 80s, and the vinyl still sounds pretty good. I remember my dad listening to it when I was a kid, and sort of enjoyed. For some reason it wasn't until a few months ago that I had to hum some of it to my dad to know what it was. For some reason, this album cover and David Bowie's "Low" always stood out to me from my dad's collection.

Yeah he's a really good player. I'm just surprised that this album's so strong, because apart from Boris the Spider and a few others, he didn't contribute write that many good songs in the Who. The one I'm listening to is Whistle Rymes. It's from 1972 I think, and it features Peter Frampton!