I need more power metal

MalaCloudy Black

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blind Guardian isn't similar to Iced Earth at all. Iced Earth are a shitty thrash/power hybrid band that repeat the same riffs over and over. You've heard one IE album, you've heard them all. Seriously. Schaffer, learn new riffage. OH MY WE HAVE A NEW VOCALIST WE'RE SO DIFFERENT NOW.. nope.. same riffs. Same crap.

Whereas Blind Guardian, um, isn't (a shitty power/thrash hybrid).

It worked for AC/DC :shifty:

Oh, and Iced Earth own most of the bands mentioned, to be honest....even if most of their stuff is pretty similar.

Jon Schafer has 5 riffs.

Awesome, kick ass, badass, fuck yeah, and incredible.

Hammerfall

Dragonforce

Rhapsody

Other bands.

I'd possibly agree with that. I've heard OF Edguy, but not anything BY them, and on the point of Blind Guardian, I have "A Night at the Opera" by them and, whilst it's not an outright BAD album, it's nothing special at all. Plus the leads vocals irritate me something chronic. He doesn't have a typical ball crunching high pitched stereotypical power metal voice... which I tend to prefer when it comes to power metal (hence liking Hammerfall et al).

Okay, since you told me to stick to the extreme metal...

Get Summoning's "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" and see how EPIC should be done, not this faggoty "guitar masturbation and bitch scream vocals"-epic but "We ride and we crush everything before our path"-epic. Damn straight.

Get Summoning's "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" and see how EPIC should be done, not this faggoty "guitar masturbation and bitch scream vocals"-epic but "We ride and we crush everything before our path"-epic. Damn straight.

You got any spare time right now?

What about Turisas?

They did an album called Battle Metal after all.

Adagio

Angra

Pyramaze

Heavenly

Theocracy (One man, Christian Power Metal... amazing stuff)

Vision Divine

Lost Horizon

and if you dig Blind Guardian

Savage Circus, Persuader, Dark Empire are essential.

and of course Edguy, Stratovarius, and Symphony X

My top ten power metal albums:

10. Star One - Space Metal (2002)

Theme album about sci-fi movies by the dutchman Arjen Anthony Lucassen. Space Metal is melodic and has lots of keyboards (much like Ayreon), but what I really like here are the very metallic riffs. A bit old-school there - 70s and 80s style. I also like the use of many different type of vocalists here. "Perfect Survivor" must be my favourite track off it. One of the more recent entries to my list of Totally Kick-Ass Power Metal Albums.

9. Nightwish - Wishmaster (2000)

Not as heavy as Century Child or Once, but with faster and more metallic songs. Vintage Nightwish with great keyboard passages, speed and a few nice softer songs. Nothing wrong with Tarja Turunen's singing either, though at times it gets a bit too operetic. Lead guitar is excellent. Tough to call a favourite track, but "Dead Boy's Poem" could be it.

8. Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper (2000)

The most melodic of all Bodom albums, and thus my favourite. You could argue the band themselves aren't power metal, but the melodies, keyboards and especially the guitar solos here are totally awesome and in the best power metal vein. As usual for Bodom albums, it's heavy and brutal but this time with more keyboards and catchy tunes. "Mask Of Sanity" is the strongest track here.

7. Avantasia - The Metal Opera (2001)

Bombastic power metal at its cheesiest! Tobias Sammett is a genius when it comes to making catchy songs. The guest musicians and vocalists bring a lot to an already fine set of songs. Very symphonic and often times over the top. Just the way I like it. Best tracks are "Avantasia" and "Sign Of The Cross" -> seriously, if that song doesn't get you, you should consider moving on to jazz instead of heavy metal.

6. Stratovarius - Visions (1997)

Great vocals (with a bit of a funny accent), but especially brilliant guitar work. Awesome solos and lots of quality riffs. Stratovarius' songwriting is at its best on this album. "Black Diamond" is my favourite track, but "Paradise" has also become sort of an anthem for them.

5. Angel Dust - Enlighten The Darkness (2000)

The best album from this great underrated band. In my opinion, Enlighten The Darkness is among the best albums ever released in heavy metal - fan of power metal or not. There's a good amount of fast power/thrash metal tracks in the first half of the album, then a few gloomy ballads - but the way it kicks back to sweet, heavy tunes to headbang to is awesome: "Cross Of Hatred" starts right after "First In Line" and it's among the greatest transitions in heavy metal I've heard. Another one that comes to mind is Judas Priest's "Here Come The Tears / Dissident Aggressor". My favourite track from Enlighten The Darkness is "Let Me Live", the opener.

4. Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free (1995)

Gamma Ray has four other albums I could have mentioned, but this one takes the cake - so catchy it beats any 80s pop act. But in a heavy metal way. You could hear the Iron Maiden influence with the twin guitar harmonies and the gallop. Straight up power metal - I love it. Favourite track is "Rebellion In A Dreamland".

3. Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider (1992)

The only American band here, Iced Earth has certainly delivered in a bunch of their CDs, but Stormrider still remains my favourite. It's fast, heavy, aggressive and evil. "Travel In Stygian" is among my favourite songs of all time. Totally wicked.

2. Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys 2 (1988)

Just a tad better than the predecessor, the first Seven Keys album. I prefer the fast songs here and the singing of Michael Kiske is just jaw-dropping on this one. Helloween are the originators of the genre and here you can hear the influences - early 80s New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, late 80s thrash metal and the catchy, cheesy Scorpions. "Eagle Fly Free" is my favourite track here.

1. Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side (1995)

A symphonic power metal album, but without any orchestration. Pretty amazing. Magnificient songwriting, great guitars and wonderful singing. I love the aggressive vocals of Hansi Kursch, but he can also sing with the most beautiful voice when it comes to slow, folky parts in songs. Imaginations has so many time changes you could consider it being progressive, but it's still earnest and kicks major ass. Takes a few listens to get into, but this has got to be the ultimus discus power metallus. All of the songs are highlights, but the title track is my favourite. Also "Bright Eyes", "A Past And Future Secret", "Born In A Mourning Hall" and "Mordred's Song" all get played in concerts even now that they've moved on to playing an even grander and more bombastic style of music.

• 2 weeks later...

After much badgering, I've listened to a bit more Blind Guardian and have got to say I'm pleasantly surprised. (The album in question is "A Twist In The Myth", which is MUCH better than "A Night At The Opera" imo).

Are any of their other albums similar in sound to this?

I never really liked a Night at the Opera either. A bit too much pomp.

I have all Blind Guardian CD's (including both live ones, but not the compilation/b-side release The Forgotten Tales) and I've also seen them live. Awesome band indeed.

Here's how I'd rank their discography, studio only:

1. Imaginations from the Other Side (1995)

- best power metal album, and possibly the best metal album ever recorded. Godly drumming and guitar fills and song arrangements that make every song interesting, despite the progressive tendencies. Pretty aggressive release, but the medieval acoustic ballad Past and Future Secret balances that out too.

2. Nightfall in Middle-Earth (1998)

- confusing concept (and yes, I have read Silmarillion), but awesome songs nonetheless. Melodic and memorable.

3. Somewhere Far Beyond (1992)

- similar in style to Imaginations. Almost as good, too.

4. Tales from the Twilight World (1990)

- less refined when you compare it to later releases, but the melodies and songwriting are awesome again.

5. A Twist in the Myth (2006)

- a bit of a return to form for the band. "Otherland" and "Turn the Page" could have been straight off Imaginations album. There's a couple less than stellar tracks towards the end though.

6. Battalions of Fear (1987)

- really raw and thrashy, but the songwriting is there already.

7. Follow the Blind (1989)

- very similar, but not quite as strong.

8. A Night at the Opera (2002)

- I didn't enjoy the over-the-top instrumentation and production, but some of the songs are still alright, as evidenced by killer versions they play live. Love the drumming on the album, but the vocals are layered way too much.