Colossal Wrestling

Obinna

OOC Note: The situation for this diary is based off of the situation in the late 80's and early 90's, but it is not completely accurate. Especially in the case of this version's ECW, several workers are taken from information I gathered concerning Heyman's 1993 and forward version of ECW, although Heyman does not run or work for ECW in this version: he's still with WCW. Furthermore, I'm aware that there is a current Japanese promotion known as HUSTLE. The idea for the Hustle! program name was actually derived from the song "Subtle Hustle" by Clutch, but I'm not ignorant of the Japanese group's existence.

IPB Image

In the year 1987 A.D., Verne Gagne's American Wrestling Association was faltering. They were losing a great number of wrestlers to World Championship Wrestling and the World Wrestling Federation. Verne Gagne himself was reportedly in dire straits, attempting anything to get his company back on its feet. Everything he did, however, was simply a catalyst for the company's descent. The formerly prestigious AWA was slipping fast.

Bill Watts found himself in a curious predicament with his Universal Wrestling Federation. Jim Crockett was pressuring him hard to sell the company to him, letting it be absorbed into WCW. However, Watts wasn't sure he was ready to do this. As Watts stalled, WCW and the WWF began negotiating with his workers behind his back. When Watts finally made a decision, WCW was ready to pull the rug out from under him.

But what was Watts's decision?

Buy out the AWA.

Watts reached an agreement with Verne Gagne that would merge their two territories into a new national promotion. Watts would be the owner of the new group, but a board of directors—including Gagne, Fritz von Erich, and Ron Fuller, the latter of whom who had sold their territories after being persuaded by Watts and Gagne—still wielded great influence in this company. This meant that traditional Watts techniques would see decline, mostly so that the company would be able to emulate the success of WCW and WWF. Also, each member company would have one of its titles promoted by this new entity, with Watts's heavyweight belt becoming the top title.

These groups brought together their top talent—the Funk Brothers, Kevin Von Erich, Curt Hennig, Scott Hall, and others. Watts' inclusion in this new national group persuaded the Junkyard Dog to join as well after being treated well by Watts in the past.

Although it likely would have made the most sense at the time, Watts was opposed to using the AWA name for this new promotion. At its inception, it was merely called X Wrestling in lieu of a name. When it began running cards, they used the name of whatever promotion had been prevalent in the area where the show was being run for familiarity's sake. In 1988, they became known as the Alliance of American Wrestling. However, in 1990, they managed to choose a more marketable name.

COLOSSAL WRESTLING

Enter 1992.

WCW was starting to bounce back from the reign of Jim Herd and was putting on a strong program against the WWF. The two national giants slugged it out on primetime in what would later—and even then, had started to—be known as the Monday Night Wars.

The United States Wrestling Association had been founded out of the ashes of Jim Crockett's Pro Wrestling USA, with Jerry Jarrett booking and many WCCW stars who hadn't come along with Fritz von Erich defecting from southern promotions to join up.

Herb Abrams had begun promoting a Universal Wrestling Federation in 1990; he'd actually trademarked the name, whereas Watts had forgotten to do this (Gagne and co. persuaded Watts to trademark the Colossal Wrestling name, however). His product was risky and small, but he was doing a damn good job trying to promote himself.

The Global Wrestling Federation attempted to retake Fritz von Erich's abandoned Dallas territory. Headed by Grey Pierson, who took over the company earlier in the year, it was attempting to expand on the strength of workers like Eddie Gilbert and Sam Houston.

Todd Gordon had just broken away from the NWA with his Eastern Championship Wrestling. The successor of Tri-State Wrestling Alliance, ECW focused on more a more violent, hardcore style, promoting Shane Douglas among others like the Tasmaniac.

Smoky Mountain Wrestling was an attempt at securing the cornerstone territory of Tennessee by Jim Cornette. It catered to old-time fans and was seen by many as not having a marketable product in these advancing times, but they soldiered on.

For its part, Colossal Wrestling had just pulled out of a slump caused by Watts's booking by forming a booking committee. Initially, this committee was led by Verne Gagne and consisted of announcer and former Seattle promoter Sam Garrick, Fritz von Erich, and writers George Scott and Vince Russo. Sam Garrick began to make a number of booking decisions that Gagne respected and Verne eventually deferred leadership of the booking committee to Garrick.

As November of 1992 set in, Colossal Wrestling set itself up for its Jet Generation pay-per-view event. Watts, though diminished in influence, still held one thing as key: become the #1 promotion in the world. Sam Garrick didn't intend to let "Cowboy" Bill Watts down.

MAJOR COLOSSAL WRESTLING EVENTS

WHERE TITANS STRIDE – CW's version of WrestleMania or Starrcade. The main attraction. The May pay-per-view.

MOUNTAIN OF POWER – CW's winter attraction. Shown in January.

FESTIVAL OF MASKS – CW's Halloween show.

IPB Image

HUSTLE!

Colossal Wrestling's weekly television program. Airs on Tuesday primetime on UPN. Highlighted by the weekly defense of the CWF Television championship (formerly the CWF Heavyweight title).

MAIN EVENT STARS

"RAVISHING" RICK RUDE

A star for a number of years in the WCCW, NWA, and most recently the WWF, Rude made the jump to CW in 1990, disillusioned with McMahon's running of things. Rude reprised his gimmick and quickly rose to the top of the CW crop as its top heel.

KEVIN VON ERICH

The son of Fritz von Erich, the celebrated barefoot wrestler has established himself as a major force in the company and the main babyface. Though he has yet to hold the CW World Heavyweight title, it is only a matter of time until he does.

CHAMPIONS

CW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT

Rick Rude

AWA AMERICA'S

Tully Blanchard

After leaving the NWA, Tully signed on with CW and became a major singles star. His classic face heroism captures the crowd's attention.

WCCW TAG TEAM

The Funk Brothers

Dory Funk, Jr. and Terry Funk came to the CW with one thing in mind: domination. They've done that, capturing the titles. Recently, they've seen to be affiliating themselves with Rick Rude.

CWF TELEVISION

Marty Jannetty

The rockin' Marty Jannetty has wowed audiences with a strong television title run. He's been very over with fans and signs are that it can only get better for him.

IPB Image

+ various jobbers

Edited by Obinna

November 1st, 1992. I get called into the office. Early.

Now, I'm not saying this for any particular reason. With everything going the way it was, I usually got called in early. I was in charge now, the appointment made very recently, so they were always calling me in. Garrick, this. Sam, that. It got tiring, but I was being paid well and I enjoyed the job enough.

So, like I was sayinig, I'm just telling you I got called in early just to tell you.

I walked in and looked at my boss, Bill Watts, sitting behind his big oak desk. He had a white cowboy hat perched atop his head. He raised his eyebrows as I pushed the door open and sat up straight, folding his hands and putting his elbows on the desk. There was a kid – well, he didn't look really experienced – sitting to the side. He was dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. Not professional at all.

"Hey, Bill," I said casually, wondering what this was all about. "You gave me a call?"

"Yeah, Garrick, I did," the Cowboy said. He smiled. "You've been doing a hell of a job out there." I didn't need the compliment, but I nodded. "Really riveting stuff. The Kevin-Rick feud is getting real hot."

"Well, we're gonna make it something to see," I said.

"Damn right you are. Hey, I haven't introduced you two yet, have I?" I shook my head. The kid gave me a green-eyed look. "Garrick, this is my nephew, Dunlay Watts. Dunlay, this is Sam Garrick."

Shit. This was not going to turn out good. I shook the kid's hand, but instantly I started to sweat inside.

"I've signed Dunlay to a contract with us," Watts continued. "He's been trained and he finishes with a great spinning piledriver move." Dunlay beamed at the mention of his finishing maneuver; I had to admit, I wanted to see that in action. "Make sure he's used well; don't have him jobbing like any other putz on the roster." Bill nodded to his nephew. "That's all, Dunlay. I've gotta talk to Garrick for a minute."

Dunlay stood up and scratched his brown hair. "Nice meeting you, Mr. Garrick," he mumbled before edging his way past me and heading out of the office. Once the door closed, I looked back at Bill and saw that his eyes were already piercing into me.

"Garrick," Watts said gravely, "I'm gonna shoot straight with you. The kid's father, his only remaining parent, died two years ago. The boy was 17. When he came into my household, he got immersed in wrestling. He lived it and he breathed it, Garrick. When he turned 18, I let him start training. He's finished with his training now, just like I told you."

"Yeah, Cowboy," I said.

"So that's that. He's on the roster. But god damn you, Garrick, I'm gonna tell you this: don't you bury my boy. Dunlay's like a son to me, Garrick, and he always has been. Von Erich's son is already chasing the title in this damn place. Fuller's brother is on the rise. Garrick, you're gonna put Dunlay over. You know Hogan?" I nodded at him. "And you know Sting?" I nodded again. "I want Dunlay to get bigger than both those guys put together. He's gonna move merchandise, Garrick, he's gonna pull the crowds in. I want Dunlay to be an ultra star. Am I clear?"

I sighed again. I knew it. Goddamn. "Yes, Cowboy, loud and."

"Also," Bill said, leaning back in his chair. "Don't do anything the boy doesn't like. I won't have you upsetting the kid, alright?"

"Alright, Bill," I conceded.

"Go on, then. You've got a Hustle! to book." I walked out the door of Watts's office, more than a little dejected.

In the hall of just outside Watts's office, I found myself staring straight at Verne Gagne.

"Oh, hey, Verne." I made to move past me, but he caught me by the arm.

"Listen, Sam, I know what he wants you to do," Verne said. "He's already told the rest of us that are here. None of us are happy about it."

"I wouldn't expect you to be."

"Well, me least of all, Sam." Verne frowned. "The kid is a shit wrestler." I nodded, expecting that much. "He can fight… okay. He can sling fists. But ask him to do something technical, a submission hold, an intricate suplex, and he'll fall flat on his face."

"Well, we'll work with it," I said. "I'll figure something out."

"But there is something he does have," Verne continued.

"What's that?"

"Kid can talk. He can talk up a storm, Sam, and you can use that."

"We all can." Suddenly, maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. Verne nodded, patting me on the shoulder as if he understood what I was feeling.

"We're meeting downstairs to book the show, Sam. Half-hour?"

"Half-hour." We parted ways. Ideas tumbled in my head as how to get this kid over.

GOALS:

PUSH DUNLAY WATTS

3 overness to 100 (+97)

MAKE DUNLAY MARKETABLE

Top 3 in Merchandise Top Sellers

GO GLOBAL

Currently National Level, 30% PI

BECOME #1 PROMOTION

WCW is Global – 33% PI; WWF is Global – 31% PI

IPB Image

RECAP:

CW's Festival of Masks was just that: a festival. An exciting undercard paved the way for the evening's main events. Marty Jannetty managed to successfully defend his CWF Television title in a triple threat against Nick Bockwinkle and Robert Fuller, but Starship Coyote made his way down to the ring and delilvered his Coyote Edge to a tired Jannetty, lifting up the Television belt and announcing that he would soon have it! In a falls count anywhere contest for the AWA America's title, Tully Blanchard defeated the reigning champion Antonio Inoki after having his fall counted in the back lounge, of all places! In the WCCW Tag Team title match, the Funk Brothers, the champions, faced off against Tony Atlas and the Junkyard Dog. The guest referee was Bruce Pritchard, a man who had vehemently denounced the actions of the Funks. However, Bruce Pritchard made a fast count when Tony Atlas was being pinned by Terry, showing his true colors by shaking hands with the Funks after the match! The Junkyard Dog and Atlas were steaming, shouting their intent to come after the titles. When time came for the main event, the CW World Heavyweight title match between Rick Rude and Kevin von Erich, Rude came out to sadly (ha!) announce that Kevin was incapacitated for the evening due to an unforseen injury and he would instead wrestle anyone from the back for the belt. Anyone from the back turned out to be… no-name wrestler Bob Bradley, with title ambitions on the brain! Rude proceeded to beat Bradley about the ring and even gave him his patented Rude Awakening neckbreaker. Before he could seal the deal, though, Kevin von Erich ran down to the ring—it had all been a complete lie! Kevin, who had somehow been delayed in his appearance, now took his vengeance by sliding into the ring and slapping the claw on Rude! Rick Rude won the match by DQ, but not until after suffering some pain on his part!

IPB Image

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 7th, 1992

MUTA'S OPEN CHALLENGE!

The Great Muta issues an open challenge to anyone in the back. Who will take him up?

MARTY JANNETTY versus ROBERT FULLER

CWF Television Championship Match!

Rob Fuller gets another chance at the Television title; can Jannetty do this, or is his mind still on the Starship Coyote attack?

THE THRILLSEEKERS versus THE RENEGADE WARRIORS

The Thrillseekers—Chris Jericho and Lance Storm—face off against the experienced Youngblood brothers, better known as the Renegade Warriors!

THE ROUGHNECKS versus THE FUNK BROTHERS

Non-Title Match!

The Roughnecks—Dunlay Watts and Iron Mike Sharpe—make their debut against terrifying enemies in the WCCW Tag Team champions, the Funk Brothers!

THE MAIN EVENT

KEVIN VON ERICH & BOB BRADLEY versus RICK RUDE & MR. PERFECT

Kevin von Erich gets to get some revenge along with the abused Bob Bradley. Rick Rude has drafted former AWA America's champion Mr. Perfect as his tag team partner. How is this going to come out?

IPB Image

After the Hustle! entrance video is over, the camera opens to the stadium. It goes to the announce desk where Sam Garrick and Reggie Baxter sit and give a run-down of the card for the evening, in particular gushing over the Television title rematch of sorts pitting champion Marty Jannetty against challenger Robert Fuller. They also lend a great amount of attention to the main event, a tag team match pitting the vengeful Kevin von Erich and Bob Bradley against CW World Heavyweight champion Rick Rude and his partner of choice, Mr. Perfect.

After this, the Great Muta's entrance music hits and he makes his way out to the ring.

Sam Garrick: Muta's in the ring now, folks, and you know he's not gonna talk, so I'll announce it for him; he's issued an open challenge to anyone in the back to come out and face him, right now, in this very ring!

Reggie Baxter: I can only wonder who's gonna come out and try to take down this sadistic individual.

Garrick: Muta's been running roughshod over anyone who's been put in his path so far, spitting that blinding green mist into their eyes.

Baxter: I can't imagine what that's like and to tell the truth, Sam, I wouldn't want to.

Garrick: Oh… the lights are dimming, Reg. Who could this be?

Muta folds his arms over his chest, waiting. Suddenly, out from behind the curtain sprints a masked figure that has the crowd screaming!

Baxter: Tiger Mask! Tiger Mask!

Garrick: These two Japanese phenoms are in the ring now and they're locking up for what looks like an epic encounter!

THE GREAT MUTA vs. TIGER MASK

Mask slides into the ring and Muta quickly drops a leg onto the back of his neck, keeping him down. TGM rolls Tiger Mask into the ring fully and hits him with another leg drop, this time across the throat. Tiger Mask kicks his legs up, rolling onto his stomach. Muta sits on Tiger Mask's back and gives him a camel clutch, but Tiger Mask manages to get his foot on the ropes. Muta rises and stomps on Tiger Mask's back before lifting him up and sending him into the ropes. As Tiger Mask comes back, Muta jumps up for an early shining wizard, but Tiger Mask puts the breaks on and then flips, hitting a somersault senton on the downed Muta! He gets a nearfall after the cover. Tiger Mask pulls Muta to his feet and kicks at him furiously before giving him a snap suplex to the mat! Tiger Mask then jumps up onto the second rope, springboarding backwards and hitting a moonsault! He gets a two count before Muta grabs the ropes. Tiger Mask gets up and pulls Muta to his feet.

Garrick

Here it comes! He's got the arms!

Baxter

Tiger suple… no! Muta frees his arms!

Garrick

POISON MIST! Straight to the eyes! This is a terrible way to win!

Baxter

Muta's got the roll-up now and Tiger Mask's confused… oh, dammit, there's the three. Dammit, dammit, dammit.

Garrick

What a dishonorable bastard!

The crowd boos loudly as Muta releases Tiger Mask and slips out of the ring, hightailing it to the back. Tiger Mask sits up in the ring, glowering after him.

MARTY JANNETTY versus ROBERT FULLER

CWF Television Championship!

Fuller starts things off with a big dropkick to the chest that sends Jannetty right down. Marty gets back to his feet and Fuller continues his control, hitting a scoop slam. He backs into the ropes and comes off with an elbow drop, but Jannetty gets out of the way! Jannetty gets back up and the crowd is on his side as he lays into Fuller with a series of hard and heavy rights, backing Fuller up against the turnbuckles. Jannetty grabs Fuller and throws him over his shoulder onto the canvas. He gets up onto the second rope and jumps off, connecting with a big elbow drop… but he only gets a two! Frustrated, Jannetty gets Fuller back up and goes for a suplex, but Fuller blocks it and hits a big European uppercut! He whips Jannetty into the ropes.

Garrick

Fuller telegraphing the back body drop…

Baxter

What agility from Jannetty there, leapfroging over Fuller! He stops on a dime, turns around…

Garrick

He's got the wrist! Up into the air and ROCKER DROPPER!

Baxter

Oh, it's all academic from there. Turns him over, hooks the leg… one, two, three!

Garrick

A neat defense of his title from Marty Jannetty and—

Garrick is cut off by the sound of a wolf howling.

Baxter

Not him!

Garrick

Starship Coyote is coming down to the ring! That son-of-a… he doesn't know when to quit!

Starship Coyote climbs into the ring and Marty immediately tries to defend himself, throwing fists, but Starship quickly pushes him backwards.

Baxter

Boot to the gut of Jannetty. Oh no, here it comes, Sam.

Garrick

He's got him up on his shoulders and COYOTE EDGE! Marty Jannetty is just crumpled on the mat!

Baxter

Look at that arrogant chump, lifting up that Television title like it's his!

Baxter: Well, the cameras are following Robert Fuller backstage now.

Fuller heads behind the curtain, shaking his head, when he unexpectedly runs into a big form.

Garrick: Antonio Inoki!

Inoki shakes his head.

Inoki: Fuller, you are looking a disgrace in the ring.

Fuller: Shut up.

Inoki: You could have had the Television title, but you destroyed your chance.

Fuller balls his fists.

Fuller: Don't tell me what to do, got it?

Inoki: You have no guidance, Robert. You have no—

Inoki is cut off as Fuller throws a fist into his face.

Garrick: Dammit, Rob!

Baxter: He's just beating the hell out of a legend here, Sam! Oh, those boots look vicious.

Garrick: Fuller's walking off now, but the damage is done!

Inoki rolls about on the ground, coughing a little bit.

THE THRILLSEEKERS versus THE RENEGADE WARRIORS

Chris Jericho and Mark Youngblood start this match off. Jericho dominates the early goings, grabbing Mark and flipping him onto his back before catching him with a grapevine leglock. Youngblood manages to tag in his brother who pulls Jericho off. Tags reign at this point, with both teams getting a bunch in. The Thrillseekers manage to catch Mark in the center and hit him with a double suplex before Lance Storm takes over. He locks in a rear chinlock, but Mark Youngblood manages to fight out of it. He takes Storm down with a back suplex and both men are down on the mat, making this a traditional hot tag situation. Both men get it, but Chris Youngblood takes over, jumping in the ring and flattening Jericho with a flying lariat! He picks Jericho up and throws him back onto the mat with a standing gourdbuster and then hits repeated elbow drops, keeping Jericho pinned on the mat.

Baxter

The Renegade Warriors doing very well in this match now. Chris Youngblood picking Chris Jericho up.

Garrick

He's got Jericho in the front facelock and he's signaling out to the crowd; it looks like it's DDT time!

Baxter

He cinches in the hold and—WHAT!?

Garrick

Mark Youngblood with a flying kick to the head of his brother! Chris Youngblood is down and Mark is making his exit!

Baxter

Chris Jericho taking command now, turning the remaining Youngblood over… Lion Tamer! Lion Tamer!

Garrick

Chris Youngblood is tapping out here, but dammit, what the hell just happened? Are we seeing the splitting of the Renegade Warriors?

Baxter

This is disgusting, Sam, just nasty.

The camera goes backstage to see AWA America's champion Tully Blanchard standing alone. The crowd gives a pop at the sight of Blanchard, but he's looking angry.

Blanchard: Mr. Perfect, you son-of-a-@#%^&! What gives you the right? I see you at Festival of Masks, mishandling a woman backstage? Telling her you're perfect? Let me tell you something, Mister, back in Texas—

Catchphrase!

Blanchard: WE DON'T STAND FOR THAT!

Big pop!

Blanchard: You don't take a fan backstage and whisper sweet things in her ear and then when she says no, grope her in front of the millions of people watching on pay-per-view! This is wrestling, dammit, not pornography! You're gonna respect the traditions of this sport, damn you, or I'll beat you until you do!

Tully starts to pace about, adjusting the title on his shoulder.

Blanchard: They say that chivalry is dead, Perf', and that may be true, but I'm not! And while I'm around, you will show people the respect that they deserve! Starting right now, all this nonsense is gonna end!

Tully glares into the camera.

Blanchard: If you lay so much as a hand on one more lady fan, Mr. Perfect, so help me God, you're gonna have to answer to me!

Camera cut away.

THE ROUGHNECKS versus THE FUNK BROTEHRS

Dunlay Watts and Terry Funk start this off. Watts gets in a little offense before Funk just takes over, snapping Watts in half with a backbreaker. Smirking, Funk lets Watts get to his partner, but Sharpe charges in just to get a lariat to the jaw! Terry tags out to his brother Dory and they lift Sharpe up, hitting him with a stiff double suplex. Dory tags back out to Terry and they repeat it. Terry seems to be letting Sharpe go back to his corner, but at the last second he drags Sharpe back.

Garrick

Terry pulls Iron Mike up to his feet and takes him down with a big haymaker to the jaw!

Baxter

He goes for the pin… no! No!

Garrick

Feet up on the ropes! The ref doesn't see it!

Baxter

Dammit, Sam, the Funks steal another win!

Garrick

But these two aren't too happy about that!

The crowd cheers as Tony Atlas and the Junkyard Dog hustle down to the ring, chairs in tow. The Funks have received their title belts and are celebrating.

Baxter

Ho ho ho… I hope they don't turn around!

Garrick

But they are…

CRASH!

Garrick

And they're down! Atlas and the Dog have taken down their rivals here in the middle of the ring!

KEVIN VON ERICH & BOB BRADLEY versus RICK RUDE & MR. PERFECT

Kevin von Erich starts off against Mr. Perfect. They lock up and Kevin takes control, locking in an armwringer and then throwing Mr. Perfect to the mat, catching him in a headlock. Mr. Perfect gets to his feet and lifts Kevin up, but Kevin drops down and pushes Mr. Perfect. Perf' looks surprised and tags out to Rick Rude. Rick gets into the ring and locks up with Kevin, getting a big pop from the crowd. Rick pushes Kevin backwards and hits him with repeated forearms. He whips Kevin into the ropes. When Kevin comes back, he ducks the lariat. As he comes back the second time, he extends his arm as well and they collide with a double clothesline! Both men look to their corners, dragging themselves over.

Baxter

Uh oh, is Bob Bradley going to get himself into this ring?

Garrick

It looks like… yes! Bob Bradley, who only made a name for himself at Festival of Masks by being brave, is stepping into the ring with Rick Rude again!

Baxter

He lifts Rude off the mat and he's going for a suplex… but Rude blocks it!

Garrick

This looks bad, Reg. Rick turns Bradley around and RUDE AWAKENING!

Baxter

Here's the pin! One! Two! Broken up!

The crowd gives a cheer as Kevin comes to the rescue!

Garrick

Mr. Perfect in the ring now and he's trading fists with Kevin. Rick's up, though, and… what's he getting?

Baxter

He slips on those brass knucks! This is bad… the ref tries to get him to put them away, but Rick pushes them away!

Rick turns Kevin around and—

Garrick

NO!

Baxter

That's gonna leave a print on Kevin's face!

Garrick

The ref is calling the bell on this, it's over!

Baxter

Not for Rude!

Mr. Perfect grabs Bob Bradley and hurls him out of the ring as Rick Rude continues to put the boots to Kevin von Erich. Mr. Perfect joins, both men stomping the hell out of Kevin.

Baxter: Someone come out and stop this!

Garrick: Seems like you're getting your wish, Reg; two people are coming out! It's… the Funks!?

Baxter: Is this a change of heart?

Terry and Dory roll into the ring and get up. Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect back off as the Funks approach the fallen von Erich, who is lying on his face. Terry grabs Kevin under his arms and Dory grabs the legs…

and then turns, locking in the Texas cloverleaf!

Garrick: NO!

Baxter: The Funks have it out for Kevin, too! Dammit, Rick, wipe that grin off your face!

Rick Rude, having exited the ring for a bit, rolls back in, this time with his World Heavyweight title and a microphone.

Rude: Let it be known! This right here, this is my gang! Rude's Gang! We are the dominant force in Colossal Wrestling from here on in and if you're Bob Bradley or Kevin von Erich… well, you'd better stay out of our way!

Dory keeps the cloverleaf locked in as Mr. Perfect and Terry Funk lift up Kevin's head. Rick drops the mic and walks over, dropping to a knee before he rams the big plate of the belt into Kevin's face! The crowd rains boos down on this new clique as Dory finally releases the hold. The four men link hands and raise their arms in a joint victory.

Garrick: This is atrocious! I can't believe this is going on, folks!

Baxter: That's all the time we have! I'm Reggie Baxter, this is Sam Garrick, and we'll bid you farewell until the next episode of Hustle!

POST-CARD RECAP

The Great Muta d. Tiger Mask (R: 75%, Q: 100%)

Marty Jannetty d. Robert Fuller (R: 64%, Q: 81%)

The Thrillseekers d. the Renegade Warriors (R: 60%, Q: 89%)

The Funk Brothers d. the Roughnecks (R: 52%, Q: 70%)

Kevin von Erich & Bob Bradley d. Rick Rude & Mr. Perfect (R: 55%, Q: 61%)

Overall Rating: 69%

Nielsens: 3.69

Attendance: 1256 people

Tickets: $37680

OOC Note: I recognize a flub I made in the backstory. I assumed WCW was running Nitro at this time and they aren't. Thus, there are no Monday Night Wars to speak of, although WCW and WWF are obviously engaged in a ratings war of sorts. It just doesn't have a catchy title.

"Well done, Garrick," Watts said, pleased. He leaned back in his chair and folded his hands over his stomach, a smile over his face. "We beat out WCW's Saturday Night." WCW Saturday Night was their flagship show, the show that everyone who wanted to know anything about WCW watched.

"Did we?" I asked, trying to appear nonplussed. Inside, I was ecstatic.

"Yeah, kid, people on the inside are saying WCW's cutting back heavily. Still bigger than us, but the gap's closing. We can catch up."

"We'll get 'em," I promised.

"I like the way you're handling the feud between Rude and von Erich, too. Makes for good television; sometimes, people like a guy with fire that they can get behind."

"Certainly, Cowboy."

"I want to talk about how you're handling Dunlay, though." I gritted my teeth. Here it came again. "Now, I know you're probably doing your best, but where's his speaking time? For Christ's sake, he was barely part of that match against the Funks!"

"I know, Bill, but—"

"And would you tell those damn Funks to go easy? I saw the way Terry chuckled after he pretty much broke my boy's spine!"

"Now, hold up a second, Cowboy," I snapped, admittedly a little angry. "Don't ask me to coddle the kid. The boys'll never take to him if I'm always telling them to go easy."

Bill thumbed his nose, frowning. "You're right," he breathed, "but dammit, I don't like to see that." I supposed it was different when they were family; Watts had never had a history of saying things like this. "So, when are we gonna see Dunlay on the stick?"

"It takes time," I said. "I'm already doing something really out of character by continuing to put Dunlay and Sharpe on television; nobody cares about these guys—it's true, Cowboy!—and I'm gonna have a hell of a time making them care. But the first step is exposure and I'm giving him plenty of that."

"Well good," Watts said. "As long as I know you're doing it and not just blowing me off, Garrick." I nodded.

"That's everything, Cowboy?"

"That's everything, Garrick. Gimme another great rating, okay?"

"Loud and clear, Cowboy."

I smiled as I walked into the boardroom. Ron Fuller looked up, cocking an eyebrow at me.

"What'd Watts want you for?" Fritz von Erich asked. A staff meeting had been called to discuss the bookings for next week, which explained why the elder von Erich had shown his face in CW Headquarters.

"We beat WCW," I said shortly. There was a pause in the air.

"World Wide Wrestling?" offered Vince Russo, sitting down some length from me. "'Cause I mean, a child could beat World Wide Wr—"

"Saturday Night," I said, cutting him off. "We beat WCW Saturday Night."

"You are a goddamn liar," Ron Fuller said, throwing up his hands. He pointed at me accusingly. "I'm not working with a goddamn liar, you hear me? I didn't get into this business to work with fakes!"

"When was the last time you heard Garrick lie?" contested Verne Gagne in my defense.

"He once told me that pigs fly," Russo joked.

I chuckled. "Well pigs do, when they're shot out of cannons," I said. "And we did beat WCW. Unless you want to mix words with Watts. I'm sure he'd like you calling him a liar."

"Two things in this world that don't lie, Ron," George Scott said. He leaned back in his chair and folded his hands over his stomach in a very Wattsian fashion. "God and Nielsens. Am I right?"

"You're right," Ron said with a laugh. "You're goddamn right."

"Come on, boys," I said, taking my seat at the head of the table. "We've got a Hustle! to book."

IPB Image

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14th, 1992

ANTONIO INOKI & THE ROUGHNECKS versus ROBERT FULLER & THE THRILLSEEKERS

Robert Fuller and Antonio Inoki are known to have some tension after last week's Hustle!. The Roughnecks and the Thrillseekers are seen to be two up-and-coming tag teams in CW and accompany the bad blood between these two in a thrilling six-man opening bout.

NICK BOCKWINKEL versus TIGER MASK

The old-school disciplinarian goes up against the Japanese sensation Tiger Mask in what should be a stellar technical matchup.

TERRY FUNK versus TONY ATLAS

"Mr. USA" collides with his rival the Funker in the middle of the ring. After last week's encounter, Funk has to have vengeance on his mind!

MARTY JANNETTY versus STARSHIP COYOTE

Starship Coyote has made it clear that he wants Marty Jannetty's TV title. Marty Jannetty won't give it up without a fight, though, and he'll do his best to avoid the Coyote Edge and come out on top!

THE MAIN EVENT

KEVIN VON ERICH & TULLY BLANCHARD versus RICK RUDE & MR. PERFECT

Rude's Gang is sitting on top of the Colossal Wrestling heap with the CW World Heavyweight title and the WCCW Tag Team belts. If Mr. Perfect can find some way to defeat Tully Blanchard, he could seal the last major title Rude's Gang needs—the AWA America's belt. Kevin von Erich wants revenge—and Rude's World Heavyweight strap! Vendetta marks this Hustle!'s main event.

Edited by Obinna

IPB Image

After the Hustle! entrance video finishes, the camera opens up to the arena with all its fans. The announce desk is shown up next and we're introduced by announcers Sam Garrick and Reggie Baxter. They talk about the crowd, highlighting the CWF Television championship match between Starship Coyote and champ Marty Jannetty as well as the main event, a tag match pitting Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect of Rude's Gang against Tully Blanchard and Kevin von Erich!

They then hype the first match, a six-man tag match.

ANTONIO INOKI & THE ROUGHNECKS versus ROBERT FULLER & THE THRILLSEEKERS

Inoki and Fuller start out, Fuller eager to do some early damage. He blasts Inoki with some solid wrestling and then hits a big scoop slam before tagging out to Lance Storm to conserve his energy. Storm continues the domination, executing a huracarana to Inoki, but only getting the near fall—Dunlay Watts makes to get in, but Inoki kicks out before that. Storm tags out to his partner Chris Jericho and they hit Inoki with a double dropkick. Jericho goes to continue the damage, but Inoki drops Jericho to his knees with a tripping move. He gets to his feet and jumps into the air, chopping Chris Jericho on the neck before tagging out to Watts. Watts hits the ring and immediately goes to work, bringing Jericho to his feet and suplexing him. Watts makes to connect it into another, but Jericho flips him into a Northern Lights… but Sharpe breaks it up! Storm leaps into the ring and knocks Sharpe backwards, prompting Inoki to hit the ring and send Lance Storm head over heels with a big lariat! Fuller can't resist now, getting into the ring to mix it up with Inoki! Soon enough, the brawl is broken up, leaving Watts and Jericho in the ring. Jericho kicks Watts in the stomach and tags out to Fuller. Jericho lifts Watts into the air and suplexes him just in time for Fuller to come back and connect with a big elbow drop! Fuller grabs Watts and whips him into the ropes, only for Watts to duck a lariat and then turn around, blasting Fuller with a right hand! Watts then runs and dives towards his corner, slapping the nearest hand—Inoki!

Garrick

Antonio Inoki back in the ring here and he grabs Fuller… suplex!

Baxter

Fuller's not looking so hot right now, Sam. He's being picked up again and… here it is! Octopus hold!

Garrick

Oh man, Fuller's in for it now! Jericho and Storm hit the ring, but the Roughnecks are right there to stave them off!

Baxter

Fuller submits! This is over!

Garrick: Very solid match there, but now our cameras are gonna take us backstage for a bit…

The cameras show a wrestler sitting in his locker room

Baxter: It's Chris Youngblood! If our viewers remember, last week his partner and brother Mark kicked him in the head and made him give up the win to the Roughnecks!

Suddenly, another figure comes into the room. Chris stands up and the two scowl at each other.

Garrick: No! No! It's Mark Youngblood!

Mark finally gives in, jumping forward and assaulting his brother.

Baxter: Look at those fists flying! Chris is trying to hold his own here, but Mark is not having any of it!

Mark Youngblood lunges forward, smashing his brother over the head with a big forearm. Chris drops to a knee and Mark kicks at him, knocking him down.

Garrick: This is just sick. Mark's stomping on his head here, he doesn't give a damn about his brother!

Baxter: Come on, Mark! Leave him alone! Leave him alone!

Garrick: Folks, you're witnessing the destruction of Chris Youngblood just like I am and I think you'll agree when I say these actions are just disgusting! Mark is walking off now—

Baxter: Finally!

Garrick: –and someone had better call a medic to attend to Chris Youngblood backstage!

TIGER MASK vs. NICK BOCKWINKEL

Tiger Mask begins the match by dancing around Nick Bockwinkel, using his speed to his advantage. Finally, Bockwinkel simply stands in one place as Tiger Mask moves. Once Tiger Mask stops, Bockwinkel lunges and blasts the hell out of the Japanese phenom with a lariat! Bockwinkel begins to use some solid wrestling to take Tiger Mask to the mat again and again. Tiger Mask manages to block a suplex and send Bockwinkel into the ropes, catching him on the return with a dropkick! Both men gets back up and Tiger Mask sends Bockwinkel over with an armdrag before locking in a chickenwing. Bockwinkel gets the ropes and manages to get up, but Tiger Mask catches him in a rear waistlock.

Baxter

Oooh! German suplex!

Garrick

One… two… he kicks out! Bockwinkel is still in this!

Baxter

Bockwinkel battling to his feet here, and I've gotta say, he's showing a lot of heart! Tiger Mask into the ropes…

Garrick

Grabs the arm and jumps behind him! He gets the other one and TIGER SUPLEX!

Baxter

That's it! One! Two! Three!

Garrick

Fantastic win for Tiger Mask, but… whoa!

Baxter

This isn't good, Sam! That's the Great Muta in the ring!

Garrick

Tiger Mask doesn't see him… POISON MIST! Tiger Mask has got to be completely blinded!

Baxter

SHINING WIZARD! The Great Muta has just done a number on Tiger Mask and the fans are booing the hell out of him for it!

Garrick: I can't believe that someone would do something like that!

Baxter: It's a tragedy, Sam, a tragedy. Now we've gotta go backstage for a message from our Television champion!

Backstage, Marty Jannetty stands with his CWF Television title slung over his shoulder and his manager, JJ Dillon, standing in front of him.

Dillon: Starship Coyote! Listen, Starship, I don't know who gave you the right to do what you're doing, but you had better learn to stop it! This isn't some bush league federation, alright? You do not—do not!—go around attacking Television champions!

Dillon shakes his head before looking back up at the cameras.

Dillon: Ever since you joined this league, you've been nothing but trouble! Now you want to come after Marty Jannetty's Television belt? Who says you deserve it? Son, don't make me laugh. Marty Jannetty is ten times the wrestler you could ever dream of being, Starship, and that's a fact.

Jannetty gives a grim smile, hoisting the title up higher on his shoulder.

Dillon: So tonight, Starship? Tonight we're gonna put an end to all this! You and Jannetty for the Television title to-night! And trust me, Starship, when Jannetty hits your no-good piece of stink with the Rocker Dropper, you're gonna be sorry you even laid eyes on this gold belt!

Dillon stalks off. Jannetty gives the fans a smile and shines his belt with his palm before following him.

TERRY FUNK versus TONY ATLAS

Funk starts out strong, keeping Atlas grounded with trips and drop toe holds so that Atlas can't use his strength. Terry locks on a rear chinlock, but Tony gets up after a bit, lifting Funk on his back! Funk shakes his head in disbelief, but Mr. USA quickly charges back and smashes Terry onto the turnbuckles! Atlas takes over and the fans are screaming their heads off as he begins to lay into Terry with rapid right hands! Atlas scoop slams Terry in the middle of the mat and then comes off the ropes with a big leg drop. He covers, but Funk kicks out before the three. Both men get back to their feet and Funk now begins to take control again, hitting a suplex and then a Samoan drop. Funk boots Atlas in the stomach and goes for a piledriver, but Atlas flips Funk over with a back body drop!

Baxter

Funk's on the mat and Atlas is getting this crowd riled up! I think we know what time it is!

Garrick

He's picking Terry up off the mat here…

Baxter

Dory Funk, Jr. is heading down to this ring! Dammit!

Garrick

Atlas going for the lift, but Dory grabs him by the ankle! The ref's trying to get Dory to leave now… what's thaT?

Baxter

He just slid something into the ring! Terry's got it… he just hit Atlas with the title belt!

Garrick

And now he threw it out of the ring! Oh, this is despicable! He's got Atlas… PILEDRIVER!

Baxter

There's the pin! One! Two! Three!

Garrick

Funk steals the win here tonight… oh my god! Look who it is!

Baxter

The Junkyard Dog is hustling down to this ring! Dory Funk stops him short and they're brawling on the outside!

Garrick

Now Terry's joining the fray! This is unfair!

Baxter

Boot to the gut and now Dory's got that belt! OHHH, what a shot!

Garrick

Atlas and the Junkyard Dog have just been decimated here tonight!

The camera goes backstage just after the match. Tully Blanchard is walking with a cup of water in his hand and his AWA America's title slung over his shoulder. He stops to chat with a worker backstage.

Garrick: Tully Blanchard backstage, no doubt gearing up for his big match later on tonight!

Baxter: Definetly, Sam. Tully Blanchard has a grudge against Mr. Perfect and I can't say he much likes Rick Rude, either.

Garrick: Tully seems to be going into the bathroom here… WHOA!

Tully stumbles backwards suddenly, dropping his water.

Baxter: Tully was just hit out of nowhere with what looked like a lead pipe!

Garrick: It's Mr. Perfect! No, dammit, no!

Baxter: Perf' is just laying into Tully here with those shots from the pipe! Oh, no, stop it, Perf'!

Mr. Perfect leans down to touch the title.

Perfect: You want to fight, Blanchard? We'll fight… and I'll take your title while I'm at it. Teach you to talk about what I can and can't do. Just remember…

Mr. Perfect stands up and smirks.

Perfect: I'm perfect. Mr. Perfect.

Perfect drops the pipe and moves on, leaving Blanchard rolling around in pain.

Jannetty starts off with some athletic kicks that keep Coyote off his form, but Coyote battles back with some heavy rights. Coyote lifts Jannetty and gets him in the tree of woe, proceeding to kick him relentlessly in the face. He finally lifts Marty up and hits a big back suplex, but he can only get a two count! Starship pulls Jannetty back to his feet and goes for a suplex, but Jannetty blocks it and rolls Starship up, but he can only get a two as well! Both men get to their feet and Jannetty begins to take over in a big way, getting a roar from the crowd as he beats Starship across the ring! He takes Starship down with a brainbuster and from there it looks almost academic as he ascends the top rope.

Baxter

Looks like we're gonna see a big finish for this one!

Garrick

He flies… and Starship gets out of the way! He just saved himself from eating a loss tonight!

Baxter

Starship gets up and props Jannetty up in the corner… he's reaching into his tights!

Garrick

Jannetty's just been savaged by that shot! The ref saw the blackjack! This is over!

Baxter

Oh, now Coyote tosses the thing out! Smart move! Look at this scumbag, arguing with the ref! Well, the ref isn't having it!

Garrick

Coyote's been disqualified and rightly so, but it looks like he's gonna take it out on Jannetty now!

Baxter

Coyote's hitting Jannetty with right hands, but now Jannetty's fighting back! Listen to that crowd!

Garrick

Coyote gets out of the ring and Jannetty follows him and they're just slugging it out! Jannetty's got to be ticked off now!

Baxter

Coyote sends Jannetty into the crowd… and these guys are still fighting! The crowd's making way as they keep brawling further and further…

Garrick

Who knows when we'll see those two again? What matters is that Jannetty retained and Coyote just blew his chance!

KEVIN VON ERICH & TULLY BLANCHARD versus RICK RUDE & MR. PERFECT

Kevin von Erich and Mr. Perfect start off, executing some solid wrestling. Kevin takes Perf' down with a big back suplex and gets himself a near fall before Perfect kicks out. Kevin continues to dominate, getting Perfect in a headlock and tagging out to Tully. They execute a double suplex and then Tully takes over, getting Perfect in a rear chinlock. Perfect battles to his feet, but Tully quickly knees him in the stomach and throws Perfect over with a gutwrench suplex. Tully goes to scoop Perfect up, but Perfect trips him and tags Rick Rude in. Rude comes in with a swagger, but Blanchard quickly begins to fight back and they slug it out all over the ring. Rude throws Blanchard back into the corner and hits him with a few chops. Blanchard comes out of the corner with a back elbow that stuns Rude, but before Blanchard can capitalize, Rude jabs him in the eye! He lifts Blanchard up and drops him on the canvas with a huge scoop slam!

Garrick

Oh, look at this cocky son-of-a… he's taunting Kevin now!

Baxter

Blanchard's moving… and Rude's letting him go? This isn't characteristic!

Garrick

He just wants to humiliate Kevin von Erich! Blanchard makes the tag and Kevin's in the ring like a rocket! Those right hands have got to have Rude re-thinking his decision!

Baxter

Rude sent into the ropes… OH! He knocked Blanchard off the apron!

Garrick

He tackles Kevin down to the mat and now he rolls him up… NO!

Baxter

Rude's got a handful of those tights, but the ref doesn't see it! There's the three!

Garrick

Oh, shut up, Rude! Quit laughing! Kevin's arguing with the ref there, trying to make him see, but the ref didn't see anything!

Baxter

Blanchard's back in the ring! Kevin and Tully are out for revenge!

Garrick

Rude and Perfect are knocked onto the apron and now von Erich and Blanchard are following them and just taking the fight to these scumbags!

Baxter

Perfect down after a big suplex… THE CLAW!

Garrick

Rude's suffering under the Claw, the second one in three weeks!

Baxter

Sweet justice!

Garrick

That's all the time we have, folks! For Reggie Baxter, I'm Sam Garrick saying stay safe and join us for next week's Hustle!

POST-CARD RECAP

Antonio Inoki & the Roughnecks d. Robert Fuller & the Thrillseekers (R: 59%, Q: 76%)

Tiger Mask d. Nick Bockwinkel (R: 72%, Q: 77%)

Terry Funk d. Tony Atlas (R: 77%, Q: 82%)

Marty Jannetty d. Starship Coyote (R: 73%, Q: 80%)

Rick Rude & Mr. Perfect d. Kevin von Erich & Tully Blanchard (R: 74%, Q: 70%)

Overall Rating: 69%

Nielsens: 3.63

Attendance: 1252 people

Tickets: $37560

Despite the unfortunate plot hole with UPN, and the whole WCW/WWF wars, the diary is very well written and the actual shows are pretty entertaining and the feuds are pretty decent. You've got a strong focus on the commentating team in a way that is different to most diaries which is interesting and i'm also interested to see how you develop the younger talent. I look forward to seeing how you continue with this.

WCW World Wide Wrestling dropped – Monday Nov 20.

I walked in on Monday to a beaming Verne Gagne.

"Sam, we are beating the piss out of WCW," he said in a jolly fashion.

"Are we?" I asked curiously, taking a cup of coffee from a passing intern and saying a quick thanks. My eyes followed the girl's behind as she walked past me, but as soon as she was out of eyeshot, Gagne had my attention once again. "Are we?" I repeated.

"Yeah, Sam," Verne said excitedly. "We pulled a little worse rating than last week, but Sophie says the market's on decline anyway."

"Sophie?"

"She's Bill's secretary. Crunches a lot of numbers for the Cowboy."

"Oh. Okay, go on."

"Yeah, the Nielsens were a tad bit poorer, but we still beat Saturday Night! Plus, we are making it really near to catching up to Superstars."

Now that was news. "Hm," I said pensively. Catching up to a WWF show would be big indeed.

"But what's really good, Sam, is that WCW lost their World Wide Wrestling deal."

I gave Gagne a look that plainly said I thought he was crazy. "What the hell does that have to do with anything?" I asked him. "Their worst rated show by far, falls short of even Abrams's show, and that's a real stinker. How is that good at all?"

"Because, Sam," Verne said with a sigh. "They still pulled in a lot of money off of it. If it's gotten canceled, that means they're that farther down the slope. It may have been a shit show, but they're WC-freakin'-W, you know what I mean?"

"I guess," I conceded. "It can't be bad news, at least.

"There's the spirit!" Verne said, slapping me on the back. I gave him a chuckle and sipped on my coffee.

"Hey, Dunlay," I said, watching Bill Watts's nephew walk into the building. He gave me a sour, barely appreciative look before trying to walk by me. I stopped him, putting my hand on his shoulder and getting in his way. "What's with the long look?"

"What's with the long look?" Dunlay said in a surprisingly squeaky voice. He stopped, obviously startled at the way his voice had come out. "What's with the long voice?" Satisfied with his tone now, he continued: "I'm not doing shit out there!"

"What do you mean? You picked up a win last week."

"Yeah? Over who? Rick Rude?"

"Well, no, but—"

"Mr. Perfect? Tully Blanchard? No, Garrick—" I grunted at that; he was trying to put himself over like he was the Cowboy. No one called me Garrick except for Bill. I couldn't do anything to the kid, though, so I kept my mouth shut. "—I got a win over Robert Fuller and the freakin' Thrillseekers. Who the hell are they?"

"Robert Fuller's a name, Dunlay," I told him sternly. "Lots of people know Fuller and getting a win over him isn't small change."

"Besides the fact, I didn't even get the win," Dunlay groaned. "Inoki did."

"Your time will come."

"Yeah? Well, I'd like my time now, thank you."

"Dunlay, cool out for a bit," I said, trying to defuse the situation. It wasn't going to do me any good for him to start demanding title bouts here and there. "We just want the fans to get used to you, get you out there, get you a little more over so they don't totally crap on you when we give you the mic or some real airtime.

"The plan is to put you in a program with the Thrillseekers—hear me out, boy!—and let you both get over with each other. Then we'll see about your Rude and Perfect matches."

"Hmph," Dunlay grunted. He shoved past me and walked a few steps before turning around. "I'm kinda tired of teaming with Mike Sharpe, too."

"Stick it out, Dunn," I said, walking down the hall. Dammit, this kid was getting on my nerves. I really didn't need or want this hassle.

Ron Fuller gave me a grave look and then chuckled. "So you told him the plan, did you?"

"Yeah," I said, sitting down heavily in my chair. I rubbed my eyes and shook my head. "What could I do?"

"Guess you were in kind of a spot there," Fuller agreed, stroking his chin.

"I really want to push Jericho and Storm," I confided. "They could really be something in this business. It's just a good vehicle for doing the Cowboy's bidding, too."

"I got you," Ron said. "But listen, Sam. You've got to talk to this Dunlay kid."

"You talk to him," I shot back. "Maybe you'll have an appreciation for my mood."

"He's not gonna listen to me," Ron said. "And Watts isn't gonna tell him to act his age. He's getting a lot of the guys in the back riled up and sooner or later, he's gonna have his teeth knocked out."

I sighed. "I know, but maybe it'll be a good lesson for him."

"Cowboy won't like it."

"I know, Ron. I know."

Ron patted me on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it, okay? The kid'll work out, I'm sure."

Well, it was good that someone was sure about this whole goddamn thing.

IPB Image

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 21st, 1992

THE THRILLSEEKERS versus TIGER MASK & ANTONIO INOKI

The Thrillseekers, Lance Storm and Chris Jericho, take on the Japanese wrestlers Tiger Mask and Antonio Inoki to start Hustle! off with a bang!

MARTY JANNETTY versus CHRIS YOUNGBLOOD

Marty Jannetty has a standard title defense against Chris Youngblood, the beleaguered brother of the rogue Mark Youngblood. Chris has to put that out of his mind, though, in order to adequately challenge for Jannetty's Television title.

THE FUNK BROTHERS versus TONY ATLAS & THE JUNKYARD DOG versus THE ROUGHNECKS

WCCW Tag Team Championship!

The Funks are slated to defend their titles agains Atlas and the Junkyard Dog at Jet Generation, but they're being forced to defend them a week early as well, and this time with a third team in the mix—the rising Roughnecks, Dunlay Watts and Mike Sharpe!

THE MAIN EVENT

KEVIN VON ERICH versus MR. PERFECT

Kevin von Erich has a noticable feud with Rude's Gang, most importantly its leader Rick Rude. He doesn't get Rude tonight, though, and instead gets his de facto second in command, Mr. Perfect. Does Kevin have it in him to get up this stepping stone on his way to his title match at Jet Generation?

IPB Image

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26th, 1992

THE FUNK BROTHERS versus TONY ATLAS & THE JUNKYARD DOG

(if either team holds the belt)

The Funks have been feuding with Atlas and the Junkyard Dog since Festival of Masks, when Atlas and the JYD were cheated out of the belts thanks to Bruce Pritchard. Now they get another chance to defeat the Funk Brothers and take the WCCW Tag Team belts for themselves.

THE MAIN EVENT

RICK RUDE versus KEVIN VON ERICH

CW World Heavyweight Championship!

The feud between these two men has defined Colossal Wrestling for the last few months. Will Kevin von Erich finally be able to take the title, or will "Ravishing" Rick Rude continue his reign as champion?

IPB Image

The Hustle! entrance video plays and then fizzles out to a shot of the packed arena. Sam Garrick and Reggie Baxter introduce the show, taking the time to talk at length about the finish to last week's Hustle!. They then take time to talk about the upcoming card, noting the two title matches—the WCCW Tag Title three-way and Marty Jannetty's TV title defense against Chris Youngblood. Then they send it backstage for an interview.

The camera goes backstage where Greg Gagne is standing with Robert Fuller.

Gagne: Rob, you've been receiving a lot of punishment from Antonio Inoki, beginning when he criticized your dedication to the sport.

Fuller: Damn right! I don't know what Inoki's been doing over in Japan, but he obviously hasn't been watching Robbie Fuller tapes. If he had, he'd know that I'm the most dedicated man there is in this business today! I don't come out each and every week, busting my ass, for some foreign ^%&hole to start talking crap!

Gagne: Well, you met Inoki at the last Hustle! in a six-man tag match and—

Fuller: Let me tell you something about tag matches! I hate 'em! Especially when you can't get good partners on your side. Those Thrillseekers, Storm and Jericho, they don't know what the hell they're doing! But that's beside the point: Inoki's win was a complete fluke!

Gagne: He had you pretty solidly in that octopus hold.

Fuller: Don't you think I know that, you tool? I felt that submission hold, but he wouldn't have gotten me into it if it wasn't those conditions. I tell you, gimme a match with that creep, one-on-one, at Jet Generation! I'll tear his lungs apart!

Gagne: Are you calling him out?

Fuller: Why not? In fact, let's go past that. "Cowboy" Bill Watts, if you're listening to me, I demand you sign a match between me and that big-chinned idiot Inoki for Jet Generation! I've got your number, Watts, and I'll come after you!

Gagne: Any final words for your… uhh… prospective opponent?

Fuller: Yeah! Try and get that octopus hold again, Inoki, just try it. I swear to God I'll knock your block off if you even put your hands on me!

Fuller storms off angrily, pushing Gagne aside.

ANTONIO INOKI & TIGER MASK versus THE THRILLSEEKERS

Tiger Mask and Storm started it off, with Tiger Mask taking an early advantage with a big vertical suplex. Storm and T. Mask quickly elevated to more fast-paced stuff, but Storm was able to take him back down with a Northern Lights suplex that got a two before it was broken up. Both men made a quick tag and Inoki came in with a big lariat that sent Jericho flipping over onto the mat! Inoki dominated Jericho for most of the contest, throwing him around like a rag doll. Jericho began to make a comeback with two successive dropkicks followed by a spinning neckbreaker. This prompted Inoki to make the tag. Before Jericho could tag back out to Storm, Tiger Mask caught him and hit him with a sleeper slam!

Garrick

Jericho's down on the mat and Tiger Mask is on his feet! This crowd knows what's coming!

Baxter

Storm's looking anxious on the apron there as Tiger Mask pulls Jericho up… what the hell!?

Garrick

The lights have cut out!

Baxter

They're back on now and Tiger Mask is bewilde—HOLY SMOKES, SAM!

Garrick

The Great Muta is in the ring! POISON MIST! The ref still doesn't know what's going on!

Baxter

Muta's out of the ring and Jericho lifts Tiger Mask up, GERMAN SUPLEX! Bridges it!

Garrick

Storm holds Inoki back and Jericho scores the three! HUGE upset for the Thrillseekers!

Baxter

I hope the Great Muta has a thank-you card in the mail, courtesy of Jericho and Storm!

Garrick

Oh, come on! Look at Jericho and Storm, gloating about this win like they earned it!

After the ring clears, a familiar entrance theme hits.

Garrick: It's Mr. Perfect!

Baxter: The crowd are booing the hell out of Perf', and for good reason! Anyone watching last week knows how Mr. Perfect viciously attacked Tully Blanchard last week.

Garrick: Not to mention how he and Rick Rude stole their victory against Blanchard and Kevin von Erich!

Baxter: Well, Perfect's in the ring now and he's got a microphone.

Perfect: Shut up! Do you think I came out here for my words to be… trashed by you idiots? I wouldn't even be out here unless I had something important to say, and I do. … shut your mouths! It is important!

Garrick: The only thing I care about is if he's tendering his resignation, Reg.

Baxter: Ditto.

Perfect: Now the way I see it, a perfect wrestler such as myself shouldn't be so long without gold. I haven't held gold since I've been in this promotion and, let's face it, we're all suffering for it.

The crowd gives Perfect a huge chorus of boos. Perfect pauses, giving the audience an ugly look until they die down suitably.

Perfect: That brings me to my next point: Tully Blanchard!

Garrick: The fans are really enjoying the mention of Blanchard's name.

Baxter: And it's really ticking Perf' off!

Garrick: Ha ha, that it is.

Perfect: Would you shut the hell up!? I'm trying to talk!

The fans get even louder and Perfect is visibly frustrated.

Perfect: AllRIGHT! Tully! I'm tired of trying to talk over your cult of losers and inbreds! Get your ass out here because I want that AWA title RIGHT. NOW.

Baxter: Are we gonna see an impromptu title match?

Garrick: I don't know, Reg, but… here he is!

The crowd roars as Tully Blanchard comes down the ramp, belt on his shoulder and microphone in hand.

Blanchard: Let me get this straight… you want my title?

Perfect: I want your title!

Blanchard: This one?

Blanchard lifts the AWA America's title off his shoulder.

Perfect: Yes! Yes! Can't you understand me, you ingrate?

Blanchard: Well, then…

Blanchard drops the mic and hustles down to the ring, much to the delight of the fans!

Garrick: Blanchard's in the ring and Perfect is putting the boots to him!

Baxter: Blanchard's up now! They're slugging it out in the center of this ring, mano e mano!

Garrick: And here come the cavalry!

A horde of officials pours down from the back and get into the ring, restraining both men. Blanchard stoops down and picks up his belt, holding it high over his head and taunting Mr. Perfect with it. Mr. Perfect shouts at Blanchard, red-faced as he's dragged away.

MARTY JANNETTY versus CHRIS YOUNGBLOOD

Jannetty and Youngblood tie up quickly, with Youngblood getting a surprising amount of early offense that finishes with a powerslam and a near fall. Jannetty picks up the pace from there, landing a number of flying clotheslines and dropkicks. He executes a teeth-shattering snap suplex and then follows it with a guillotine leg drop, but only gets a two. Youngblood begins to fight back, a sharp series of right hands going in his favor, but Jannetty manages to chop him hard across the chest and then hit a big suplex.

Baxter

Youngblood with a good showing so far, but Jannetty's in control of this match right now.

Garrick

Jannetty sends Youngblood into the corner and there's a big dropkick to the chest! Youngblood's not in a good position here!

Baxter

Ever the fan serviceman, Jannetty's up on the opposite turnbuckle, playing to the crowd now! He's being too cocky in this match-up: Youngblood's gonna get him any second now.

Garrick

Whoa!

Baxter

What's that, Sam?

Garrick

Someone just hopped the barrie—MARK YOUNGBLOOD!

Baxter

Chair in hand…

CRACK!

Baxter

He just nailed his brother in the back of the head with a chair!

Garrick

Jannetty's clueless! He walks over to Chris now and boots him in the stomach… ROCKER DROPPER!

Baxter

One! Two! Three! It's over and Mark Youngblood has just screwed his brother's chances of winning the Television title!

Garrick: Jannetty's celebrating his win in the ring now as Chris Youngblood rolls out of the ring.

Baxter: A questionable defense here tonight and… oh no!

Garrick: Starship Coyote is heading down to the ring!

The crowd boos the big Starship Coyote as he slides into the ring. Marty Jannetty turns and drops the belt, doing his best to defend himself.

Garrick: It's too much! Jannetty's being overpowered here!

Baxter: Oh no, not this!

Garrick: COYOTE EDGE! Jannetty on the business end of the Coyote Edge there and… dammit, no!

Baxter: He's taking the belt! Starship Coyote is getting out of the ring with the CWF Television title belt in his hands!

Garrick: It might not have been the most noble defense, but dammit, Jannetty didn't deserve this!

THE FUNK BROTHERS versus TONY ATLAS & THE JUNKYARD DOG versus THE ROUGHNECKS

Watts and Atlas start out, the Funks choosing to let the two challenging teams wear themselves out. Atlas dominates Watts with big power moves, tagging in his partner the Junkyard Dog and executing a double suplex. Watts attempts to get to his partner, but the JYD pulls him back and practically kills him with a clothesline! The Dog goes for a pin, but both Mike Sharpe and Terry Funk break it up. The Junkyard Dog continues to battle Watts around until Terry Funk makes a blind tag and gets into the ring, attacking the Junkyard Dog's knees. The Junkyard Dog grabs Funk and throws him about a bit until Terry can get a jawbreaker. He tags Dunlay Watts back in and the pair execute a double back suplex. Upon rising, though, Terry gets Dunlay with a thumb to the eye! Blinded, Watts tags Sharpe in and Sharpe tries to put one over on the downed Dog, but the Junkyard Dog simply shoves him away and tags Tony Atlas back in. Atlas suplexes Sharpe out of his boots and then brings him back up to his feet.

Garrick

Atlas into the ropes… Terry's got him by the ankle!

Baxter

Tony Atlas is trying to fight out, but Mike Sharpe is on the move and he clobbers him with a big lariat!

Garrick

Blind tag from Dory to Sharpe here, but Sharpe doesn't notice! He's still attacking Atlas!

Baxter

LOW BLOW! Dory kicked Atlas between the legs from the outside! The referee's forcing Sharpe out here and now Dory's in the ring!

Garrick

He hooks him up and a BIG SUPLEX to Atlas! Floats over and he hooks the leg!

Baxter

Junkyard for the save… but Terry blocks!

Garrick

There's the three and the dastardly Funks retain the belts!

Baxter

I can't believe this! Even with the odds against them, the Funks manage to cheat their way into a victory!

KEVIN VON ERICH versus MR. PERFECT

Kevin and Mr. Perfect put on a great display of wrestling from the get-go, lighting up the ring with technical prowess. Kevin goes for a German suplex, but Mr. Perfect puts the breaks on and hits a back kick to the family jewels! Kevin drops to his knees and Mr. Perfect hooks him up for the Perfect-plex… but Kevin grabs the ropes to block it! Kevin mounts a big comeback, getting several near falls but never able to put Mr. Perfect down. Finally, Mr. Perfect battles back with a series of chops followed by a big scoop slam.

Garrick

Perfect pulls Kevin up and there's a big right hand!

Baxter

Kevin von Erich is out on his feet and this doesn't look good!

Garrick

Oh no… it just got worse!

Baxter

Folks, "Ravishing" Rick Rude is making his way down to the ring. If anybody else comes down, you can almost guarantee Kevin von Erich is losing this match!

Garrick

Mr. Perfect seems to be doing fine on his own, though. He whips Kevin into the ropes here and follows him close…

Baxter

Rude sweeps the legs out from under Kevin!

Garrick

But Perfect was looking for that dropkick and OUCH! He lands hard on the canvas!

Baxter

He's not moving! And look at Rude's face!

Garrick

Kevin pulls himself over… THE CLAW! He locks the Claw on tight!

Baxter

Mr. Perfect's tapping out!

Garrick

That'll teach you to cheat, Rude!

Baxter: Uh oh, Sam. Rude's seen enough! He's getting into the ring!

Garrick: Kevin's on his feet now and they're staring each other down. The fans are almost silent, Reg.

Baxter: These two men, booked to meet each other at Jet Generation for Rude's World Heavyweight belt… well, there is nothing but bad blood between them!

Garrick: All this situation can do is explo—

SLAP!

Garrick: And there it goes!

Baxter: Rude just slapped Kevin von Erich across the face!

SLAP!

Garrick: And von Erich slaps back!

Rude snarls, standing up straight. Kevin lifts his chin haughtily.

SLAP!

Baxter: That's a hard slap from Rude and Kevin is staggering!

Garrick: OOOH! Kevin just kicks Rick Rude right in the breadbasket!

Baxter: He's got him by the head here…

Garrick: RUDE AWAKENING! Kevin just delivered the Rude Awakening to Rick Rude himself!

Baxter: This is tremendous! The fans are on their feet as Kevin von Erich stands tall in the ring! Are we going to see this again at Jet Generation?

Garrick: I don't know, but it's coming up this Sunday! Don't miss it, fans! That's all we have for this edition of Hustle! I'm Sam Garrick, my partner here is Reggie Baxter, and we wish you a safe night and hope to see you back Sunday!

POST-CARD RECAP

The Thrillseekers d. Antonio Inoki & Tiger Mask (R: 75%, Q: 91%)

Marty Jannetty d. Chris Youngblood (R: 64%, Q: 76%)

The Funk Brothers d. Tony Atlas & the Junkyard Dog and the Roughnecks (R: 60%, Q: 69%)

Kevin von Erich d. Mr. Perfect (R: 79%, Q: 81%)

Overall Rating: 73%

Nielsens: 3.67

Attendance: 1252 people

Tickets: $37560

"Were you even watching the show, Garrick!" Watts shouted at me. Obviously, the Cowboy wasn't happy.

"Of course I watch my own show," I said sullenly.

"Then I suppose you saw what was happening out there?"

"Good wrestling?"

"Don't get smart with me, Garrick," Watts growled. He leaned forward intensely, cocking an eyebrow. "Did you see what those guys were doing to Dunlay?"

"Yeah," I said defensively. "They were wrestling him, Cowboy. What did you expect them to do?"

"Tony Atlas powerslammed the kid!" Watts exploded. "That guy is built like a tank, don't you think that would hurt just a little? He and the Junkyard Dog did a double suplex!"

"Well, at least he didn't get kicked in the nether regions," I offered.

"These guys are being real rough, Garrick, too rough. He's only nineteen!"

"Cowboy, I thought we already talked about this," I said dejectedly. "If he doesn't buck up to this, they're never going to let him by easy when he needs it. They'll really want to hurt him in that ring. He's got to get along with the guys backstage and—"

"Speaking of that," Watts cut in. "Your golden boy Kevin von Erich has been acting up lately."

"What?"

"The guys are complaining about Kevin being an ass backstage, Garrick. You want to keep him around in the company much longer, you gotta deal with him." I nodded slowly. Of course, there was no way we could fire Kevin without getting rid of Fritz, and trying to do that would most likely break the whole foundation of the company. Still, I decided not to call Watts on the bluff.

"I'll take care of it," I assured him.

"Good." Watts leaned back. "We did a better job this week, Garrick."

"I saw the ratings, Cowboy."

"Beat Saturday Night again."

I grinned. "Plan to keep on doing it, Cowboy."

"That's a good man. Now just get Dunlay sorted out, understood?"

Vince Russo and George Scott gave me curious looks as they stood about the coffee pot.

"You told him what?" Russo asked, pouring himself another cup of coffee. Sometimes, I thought that guy was going to die of all the caffeine he consumed.

"I told him he was main event class," I said. I myself had a bottle of water in hand. I was trying to lose weight, but not doing a very good job; I still had Coke cans stacked up to high heaven in my office minifridge.

"What in the blue hell, Sam?" Russo said, shaking his head.

"I've gotta go with Vince on this one," George piped in. "What in the good goddamn can we do with a main event Terry Funk?"

"I don't know," I conceded. "But he's been lighting up that screen. Maybe sometime in the future, we'll give him a singles run."

"And then Dory'll do what?" Vince asked. "Go back to the drawing board? The Funks made it here as a team, Sam. D'you think there's space for one of them brothers to go by the wayside while the other succeeds?"

"Well, Dory… we can work with Dory. He's good, he's just gotta…"

"Be a wrestling god at this point," George said. "Well, how are you doing with pushing the Thrillseekers?"

"I think in a few months time, I can give them a shot at the tag belts," I said. I took a sip of the water. "The crowd is really getting into them."

"And Watts?"

I sighed. "Still working." Vince chuckled and took a sip of the coffee. George patted me on the shoulder and walked off down the hall.

IPB Image

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26th 1992

THE ROUGHNECKS versus THE THRILLSEEKERS

The Rougnecks and the Thrillseekers give us a solid opening tag match that should be an exciting affair for everyone in attendance!

MARK YOUNGBLOOD versus CHRIS YOUNGBLOOD

These two brothers formerly tagged as the Renegade Warriors, but it looks like those days are over: Mark Youngblood has gotten increasingly frustrated at his brother and now he's been booked against him in order to put him out once and for all!

ANTONIO INOKI versus ROBERT FULLER versus NICK BOCKWINKEL

What should be a wrestling clinic is marred by a growing frustration building between Robert Fuller and Antonio Inoki. Third man Nick Bockwinkel is going to be thinking solely about this match, which is going to give him the edge in this match where Fuller and Inoki are only going to be thinking about hurting each other!

TIGER MASK versus THE GREAT MUTA

The Great Muta has been interfering in Tiger Mask's matches too long: it's time for some payback! Tiger Mask has vowed to eliminate the Great Muta, but Muta has proved too slippery to be gotten in one go. Will this be his final curtain call?

CWF Television Championship Streetfight!

Starship Coyote has made Marty Jannetty a wanted man these past few weeks and Jannetty has had enough! He's challenged Coyote to a streetfight where he'll be able to deal any amount of damage he wishes… but by doing this, he's putting the match right in Coyote's court. Marty Jannetty's going do anything he can to recover his title belt, but Starship Coyote is determined to make himself the official champion by battering Jannetty!

The Funks and the team of Tony Atlas and the Junkyard Dog have been fighting it out for months now over the WCCW Tag Team championships, with the Funks managing to cheat their way to victory more times than not. Will this time be the special one that sees Atlas and the Dog win the belts, or are the Funks going to continue their reign of terror?

TULLY BLANCHARD versus MR. PERFECT

AWA America's Championship!

Tully Blanchard and Mr. Perfect have been battling for a month after Tully insisted that Mr. Perfect stop his indecent behavior. Mr. Perfect has responded by attacking Tully and making his life hell. Tully gets his chance to make things right, but with the AWA title on the line, how will that affect his mindset against this dastardly villain?

Kevin von Erich got his first title shot at Festival of Masks, but he was denied it by Rick Rude's conniving. This time, hopefully Kevin will show up to fulfill his obligation and take Rick Rude's World Heavyweight title! Rick Rude doesn't seem tired of the title just yet, though, and he won't lay down for Kevin to take the title. This one is going to be a match for the ages!

Additional Prediction Contest Questions:
  • How many title changes will occur?
  • How many matches will be won by cheating?
  • How many matches will go to a DQ decision?
  • How many matches will be won by count-out?
  • (3 Points) What is Kevin von Erich's theme song? (keep in mind this is 1992, so no songs released after 1992 will be used)
The winner will get to name the wrestler featured in the December PPV's banner (or at least one of them if I use more)

IPB Image

The video package for Jet Generation opens up the show. It shows clips from several past shows, beginning with Kevin von Erich speeding down the entranceway and sliding into the ring at Festival of Masks, rescuing Bob Bradley by slapping the Claw on Rick Rude! It then goes through several other events such as Rude's Gang's formation when Rude smashes the title into Kevin's face, Mark Youngblood hitting his brother with the flying kick to the head, Tully Blanchard suplexing Mr. Perfect, Robert Fuller attacking Antonio Inoki, Terry Funk piledriving Tony Atlas, the Great Muta spitting poison mist into Tiger Mask's face, Starship Coyote hitting the Coyote Edge on Marty Jannetty, and finally coming full-circle again with Kevin von Erich hitting the Rude Awakening on Rick Rude.

The video ends and the shot goes to the arena full of screaming fans before it is thrown to the announce team.

Garrick: Hello, folks! I'm Sam Garrick and this is Reggie Baxter and welcome to Colossal Wrestling's Jet Generation!

Baxter: This is gonna be a fantastic card, folks, capped off with a CW World Heavyweight title match!

Garrick: The fans have been waiting for this showdown and I'll bet you Kevin von Erich has, too! He finally gets a chance for payback against Rick Rude and his opportunity to gain the World Heavyweight title.

Baxter: With his Gang behind him, though, I don't think Kevin has much of a chance! Rick Rude has never been afraid to pull out all the stops to defend his title and a match against Kevin von Erich doesn't seem like any exception!

Garrick: The odds are definetly stacked against Kevin here, but he's determined to see this through!

Baxter: Well, we have our first matchup coming up here: the Thrillseekers face off against the Roughnecks!

THE ROUGHNECKS versus THE THRILLSEEKERS

The singular strains of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana hit the airwaves and the fans go insane, but more for the song than the people entering to it. Stepping out from the back are the Roughnecks: Mike Sharpe and Dunlay Watts, dressed in their usual jeans and t-shirts. Watts takes a minute to pose at the top of the ramp before following his partner down the ramp and into the ring. They take a moment to climb the turnbuckles and play to the crowd before conversing in their corner, discussing strategy.

A curious riff hits the airwaves and the lights dim, prompting strobes to go crazy over the audience. Then a notable voice sings:

"ONE MORE TIIIIIIIIME, YEAH!"

To the tune of "Sunshine" by Alice in Chains, the Thrillseekers appear at the top of the entranceway! Lance Storm drops to the ground in a leaning squat as Jericho flexes his arms behind him. Jericho pats Storm on the shoulder and the twosome head down the ramp, full of energy. They slide into the ring and waste no time attacking their opponents!

Finally, Watts and Storm leave the ring, letting Jericho start in on Sharpe. He sends Sharpe across the ring and catches him on the rebound with a flying kick to the chest that takes him down. He brings Sharpe back up and tags his partner in, exposing Sharpe's chest for a boot from Lance. Lance begins the technical wrestling portion, suplexing Sharpe out of his boots twice in succession before standing Sharpe up and hitting him with a dropkick.

Garrick

The Thrillseekers looking very impressive here as Storm sends Sharpe into the ropes.

Baxter

Sharpe ducks the back elbow and comes back off the ropes with a HUGE bulldog!

Garrick

Mike Sharpe's got to make it to Dunlay Watts if he wants to make it far in this tag team matchup… and there's the tag!

Baxter

Look at Watts go! He's stomping the hell out of Storm here! Sharpe back in to help and monster double back suplex!

Watts goes for the pin, but Jericho enters the ring quickly to break it up. Watts shakes his head and brings Storm to his feet, pushing Lance into the corner. He kicks Storm a few times in the stomach, but Storm eventually turns it around and begins to clobber Watts in the corner! Storm goes for the superkick, but Watts ducks it and tackles him to the mat. He goes for another pin, but once again Chris Jericho makes the save.

Baxter

Jericho'd better watch his WHOA!

Garrick

Mike Sharpe out of nowhere with that forearm shot!

Baxter

There's the tag and now Sharpe's pulling Storm to his feet… backbreaker!

Garrick

Watts into the ropes now and he comes back with a punishing elbow onto Storm's jaw!

Baxter

Really tight tag wrestling from these two, I'm really impressed.

Sharpe begins to work Storm over, suplexing him onto the mat and getting himself a two count. He then begins to simply punch Storm, keeping him grounded as he massacres the smaller man. He pulls Lance Storm back to his feet and clubs him repeatedly in the chest with forearm smashes. Sharpe nods and goes to Storm's back, looking for a back suplex, but Storm swings his legs right up between Sharpe's legs! The crowd groans and Storm breaks free, jumping forward and tagging in Chris Jericho!

Garrick

Jericho makes a big leap up to the top rope… missile dropkick!

Baxter

Sharpe is down on the mat and now Storm's got to his senses! They pick Sharpe up… oh god, that's gotta hurt!

Garrick

Double DDT from the Thrillseekers, folks, and this could be over! Cover… Watts with another big elbow to break it up!

Baxter

And look at Storm, just picking Watts up and shoving him out of the ring!

Garrick

Mike Sharpe is all alone and they have him again… DOUBLE RUSSIAN LEGSWEEP!

Baxter

Jericho goes for another cover here with a beautiful jacknife hold… no!

Garrick

Jericho lifts his feet up onto the second rope, but the ref doesn't see it! Watts is too late!

Baxter

The Thrillseekers steal the win!

Garrick

Watts isn't taking too kindly to it, though, and he's back in this ring with a vengeance!

Baxter

Big forearm knocks Storm out of the ring! Jericho turns him around, but he gets a boot in the gut!

Garrick

Here we go… Dunlay hits the spinning piledriver on Chris Jericho in the middle of this ring!

Baxter

Sharpe's stomping the living hell out of Storm on the outside and I think the Roughnecks have gotten a suitable measure of revenge tonight, Sam.

The camera goes backstage to show the WCCW Tag Team champions the Funk Brothers with their new manager, the man who screwed over Tony Atlas and the Junkyard Dog at Festival of Masks: Bruce Pritchard. The crowd can be heard booing immensely.

Pritchard: Hah. It's pay-per-view time again, boys! And what's that mean?

Dory: Means it's time to kick some ass again!

Pritchard: And who exactly are we talking about?

Terry: Tony Atlas.

Dory: And the Junkyard Dog.

Pritchard: Exactamundo! And you see, Atlas and Junkyard, you are getting this ass-kicking for free! That's right, completely for free, no strings attached.

Garrick: What the hell is Bruce talking about?

Baxter: Shut up and maybe you'd find out?

But it isn't Pritchard who explains.

Terry: You see, we defended these Tag Team titles against you guys at Hustle!. And the way Dory and I figure it… we're free of our obligations.

Dory: Yeah.

Terry: So if you think you're gonna get a title shot…!

Terry smirks and makes a shooing gesture.

Terry: You can just scoot your behinds on by.

Dory: But if what you want is a classic, old-fashioned, homebrewed, Funk-style ass-kicking…!

Terry: Now that we can do.

The crowd boos uncontrollably!

Garrick: This is just underhanded!

Pritchard: And you better believe it, buds. See, the Funks beat you guys back at Festival of Masks to retain their belts and they beat you last week to retain again. They were at the top of the heap then and they're at the top of the heap now. Can you give me the names of two guys who aren't on the top of the tag team division?

Terry: Well, Bruce, I'm gonna have to go with the Junkyard Dog.

Dory: And of course his tag team partner, Tony Atlas.

Pritchard: So you see, there's a real good reason you aren't getting a title shot tonight at Jet Generation. But make no mistake! You will have a match, 'cause it is so damn hard to pass up an opportunity at kicking your asses one more time. But no matter what happens, at the end of the night, the Funks are leaving with the titles.

The whole group smirks as the crowd boos louder and louder.

Garrick: So we aren't getting a title match tonight, it seems.

Baxter: I can't believe those… pricks! I can't believe they'd do that!

Garrick: Don't get out of hand, Reg.

Baxter: It's infuriating, Sam. I'm just hoping that Atlas and Junkyard show them what for.

Garrick: Well, next up we have a battle between brothers: Chris Youngblood vs. Mark Youngblood!

The camera goes backstage to watch Chris walking towards the ring.

Baxter: His brother's betrayal has to be number one on his mind, Sam.

Garrick: Well, he's making his way out now and… HOLY CRAP!

Baxter: Someone just clobbered him out of nowhere with a steel chair!

Garrick: Dammit! It's Mark! It's his brother!

Baxter: Mark's just laying him out here and it doesn't look like Chris will make it down for this match!

Garrick: What the hell is Mark's issue!?

Baxter: Well, Mark's leaving and now officials are helping Chris up to his feet. We've got no choice but to go on with our next match, folks.

ANTONIO INOKI versus ROBERT FULLER versus NICK BOCKWINKEL

The low, subdued strains of "Planet Caravan" by Black Sabbath play over the PA system. Stoically, Antonio Inoki steps out onto the stage, getting a mild pop from the fans. He makes his way down to the ring and climbs in, lifting his hand and acknowledging the fans. He moves to a corner then, limbering up for the match ahead.

"Sixteen Tons" by Merle Travis strikes the air and a huge round of boos is hurtled at Robert Fuller. Fuller comes out shouting at the crowd, ripping off his shirt and continuing to argue with the masses. He stands at the edge of the ring and glares up at Inoki before moving off to the side, refusing to get in at this point.

Blue Cheer's "Hiway Man" hits the airwaves and the crowd gives a huge pop for Nick Bockwinkel who comes out from behind the curtain. He waves at the crowd, a big smile on his face. He jogs down the entrance ramp and shoots a dismissive look at Robert Fuller before heading up the steps and into the ring. Fuller finally climbs into the ring to start the match.

Bockwinkel and Inoki start the match with some technical wrestling. Fuller looks on, resting in the corner while the two legends fight it out. Inoki uses a rear waistlock takedown on Bockwinkel, keeping him pinned on the mat. Fuller uses this as an opportunity to strike, moving forward and kicking Inoki hard in the head. He pulls Inoki to his feet, but quickly takes him back down with a neckbreaker!

Baxter

Fuller with some solid offence here… OH, and Bockwinkel has him up!

Garrick

Bridging German suplex! One! Two! Fuller with the kickout!

Baxter

Bockwinkel on his feet and INOKI with the German suplex!

Garrick

One! Two! Bockwinkel kicks out! The fans are loving this!

Baxter

Inoki turns around and Fuller catches him in the stomach… DDT!

Garrick

Robert Fuller is taking no prisoners in this one!

Bockwinkel pulls Rob up to his feet and runs him around the ring, before smashing him in the stomach with a rising knee. Inoki comes up from behind with a schoolboy roll-up, but only manages the two. He gets to his feet and slams his foot into Fuller's stomach before taking him up and over with a vertical suplex. Inoki gets back up and Bockwinkel begins chopping him across the chest, backing Inoki up against the ropes. He pulls Inoki up and drops him down with a big Samoan drop, but he only gets the two before Fuller comes in to break it up!

Garrick

Robert Fuller intent on winning this match-up, Reg. He's stomping Inoki here… and there's a cover!

Baxter

Only a two for Fuller before Inoki kicks out. Fuller's getting angry here, pulling Inoki to his feet.

Garrick

It looks like Bockwinkel wants to eliminate Inoki from the equation, too… double suplex onto Antonio Inoki!

Baxter

Fuller gets back to his feet and OOF! Field goal kick!

Garrick

That was a heinous attack! He throws Bockwinkel down to the mat and covers… but Bockwinkel's got the ropes!

Fuller gets up and Inoki spins him around, slapping him with a European uppercut! The fans roar as he beats on Fuller, knocking him about the ring. He then lifts Fuller up and hits him with a stiff brainbuster! Rather than let him pin, though, the recovered Bockwinkel pulls Inoki up and receives a forearm to the forehead for his troubles!

Baxter

He slips behind him here… OCTOPUS STRETCH!

Garrick

This is it! It's only a matter of time before Bockwinkel submits now!

Baxter

Bockwinkel's not giving up, but he's flagging! You can take him out of the oven now because Bockwinkel's—

Garrick

Fuller from behind! Inoki's off balance and here's a roll-up!

Baxter

He's got a handful of tights!

Garrick

One! Two! Three! That's it! The second win of the night stolen!

Baxter

Oh, look at Fuller celebrating on the outside!

Garrick

What a human being! I'm almost ashamed to call him a fellow member of mankind.

Baxter

Inoki is not at all happy with this outcome!

TIGER MASK versus THE GREAT MUTA

The dreamy opening of "Morning Final" by Blue Oyster Cult hits and Tiger Mask makes his way down to a massive chorus of cheers. Tiger Mask jumps into the ring and bows to the crowd respectfully, accepting their praise gracefully.

In response, the creepy, ominous vibrating chords of Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath" announce the coming of the Great Muta! The lights dim and smoke billows from the entranceway. The crowd boos loudly as the Great Muta comes out, glancing at the crowd askance. He eventually makes his way up to the ring, kneeling on the apron at first before getting into the ring and squaring off with his nemesis.

They begin with some extraordinary technical wrestling, slipping over each other as they try and get the upper hand. Eventually they break and begin to circle again, looking for some sort of opening. The Great Muta jumps forward with a kick, but Tiger Mask catches it and turns it into a dragon screw! The Great Muta gets up to his feet again with a little limp and Tiger Mask charges, but the Great Muta leapfrogs! When Tiger Mask turns, he gets blasted in the jaw with a sidekick!

Garrick

Tiger Mask in the corner now and the Great Muta runs at him… monkey flip!

Baxter

Tiger Mask gets to his feet almost immediately and runs at the Great Muta… drop toe—

Garrick

Tiger Mask jumps it and hits the ropes! Muta's on his feet and Tiger Mask jumps… huracarana!

Baxter

No sale, Sam! Muta's got him up in the air and he's spinning around, dizzying him for a powerbomb!

Garrick

WHOA! Tiger Mask escapes and nails that DDT!

Baxter

Cover… Muta kicks out!

Tiger Mask pulls the Great Muta up to his feet and hits a Northern Lights suplex, but the Great Muta bridges up after landing to avoid the pin. Both men get to their feet and the Great Muta starts kicking at Tiger Mask's legs to get him off balance. Tiger Mask back up into the corner and Muta boots him hard in the stomach before grabbing him around the neck and hitting him with a ¾ facelock bulldog!

Baxter

Muta with those vicious kicks to the head now… oh no, he's going up to the top!

Garrick

What could he be looking for here? This guy is insane!

Baxter

Is this a moonsault? No… diving back elbow!

Garrick

My word, he could have crushed Tiger Mask's head in with that one!

The Great Muta locks on a crossface hold, but Tiger Mask manages to get his foot over the ropes. The Great Muta pulls Tiger Mask up and hits him with a series of snap suplexes that culminates in an exploder followed by a very near fall! Muta pulls Tiger Mask back up, but Tiger Mask starts to fight back with rapid kicks. He shoots Muta into the ropes and catches him upon return with a jumping enzuigiri that has the crowd on their feet!

Baxter

Whooo! I can't believe this! Tiger Mask is about to end this match!

Garrick

He's got the arms locked and he pulls Muta up… Muta fights free! Back elbow to the temple stuns Tiger Mask!

Baxter

Uh oh, Sam… he's working up the mist!

Garrick

He turns…

WHOOOOOOOOSH!

Baxter

What in the blue hell!?

Garrick

Tiger Mask just blew a fireball at the Great Muta! The Great Muta is terrified and understandably so!

Baxter

Tiger Mask slips around the back… TIGER SUPLEX!

Garrick

That's it! One! Two! Three! Tiger Mask has just scared his way into a victory over the Great Muta tonight!

Baxter

And look at him clearing the ring! He's putting as much distance between him and Tiger Mask as he can!

Baxter

It's time for our Television title match, Sam. But…

Garrick

Folks, I've just been notified that out Starship Coyote and Marty Jannetty are brawling it out in the back! A referee has been gotten and our match is officially underway!

Baxter

But where are they?

The cameras soon reveal their location as a bleeding Marty Jannetty stumbles out of the building and receives a chairshot to the back for his troubles from the menacing Starship Coyote!

CWF Television Championship Streetfight!

Starship Coyote hits Jannetty across the back with a stiff forearm, making Jannetty stumble. He then lifts his chair and thwacks it once again across Jannetty's back! Coyote grabs Jannetty by the hair and rams his head into a dumpster. He turns Jannetty around and takes a second to taunt him, sneering at the Television champion. He then goes to smash him in the face with the chair, but steel meets steel without Jannetty in between!

Baxter

Coyote turns and there's Marty with a stiff boot to the breadbasket!

Garrick

Marty Jannetty's going for the Rocker Dropper on the concrete… but Coyote back body drops him straight into the open dumpster!

Baxter

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Garrick

This isn't funny, Reg! This is a brawl!

Baxter

That was far too funny. Lighten up a little!

Garrick

Well, Coyote turns to do some more damage… but Jannetty pops out and slams him over the head with a broken baseball bat!

Baxter

And there's a little piece of payback!

Jannetty climbs out of the dumpster and grabs Coyote dragging him back into the building. He rams Coyote's head repeatedly against the door before turning him around and kicking him hard in the chest. He grabs Coyote's hair and drags him along down the halls. He finds a coffepot and goes to grab it, but Starship pushes him into the table edge. Jannetty sags against the table and Coyote grabs him by the waist, lifting him up and back suplexing him straight through a table!

Garrick

It's gonna be hard for either man to get up after that, Reg!

Baxter

Coyote's stirring, though! He's gonna be the first up and that means trouble for the Television champion tonight.

Garrick

Starship Coyote goes to pick Jannetty up—HO-LY SH—!

Baxter

Jannetty just smashed that coffeepot over Starship Coyote's head! Starship is busted wide open!

Garrick

Let me remind you exactly why you paid to see Jet Generation tonight, folks: fine program that it is, you won't see any of this on Hustle!!

Baxter

Unfortunately, UPN doesn't condone people bleeding like stuck pigs at family hour!

Jannetty slowly pulls himself up to his feet and puts the boots to Starship, intent on keeping the big man incapacitated. He finally pulls Starship up and whips him towards a low table, but Starship Coyote reverses it into a short-arm clothesline! He pulls Jannetty to his feet and marches him down the hall before kneeing him in the gut and smashing his face onto a table. He lifts him up and goes for a scoop slam, but Jannetty slips out the back and pushes Starship Coyote… right through the curtain!

Garrick

They're right here! They're battling all the way to the ring!

Baxter

Look at this fearsome exchange of right hands!

Garrick

Jannetty can't last long, though… Starship Coyote's got him here!

Baxter

Listen to that crowd as Jannetty fights back! Starship is moving back inch by inch and—

Garrick

THAT SCOUNDREL! He just kicked Jannetty in Rockin' Jewels right there!

Baxter

Even for a no disqualification streetfight, that was pretty low!

Garrick

This is it, folks. COYOTE EDGE! Goddammit, and straight on the steel ramp!

Baxter

One! Two! Three! And we have a new Television champion!

"Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin blares over the arena as the crowd boos Starship Coyote's victory.

Garrick

Starship Coyote's in the ring with the CWF Television title and he's just celebrating!

Baxter

A stolen victory here, folks, and Jannetty's still laying on the ramp! His back has got to be dislocated in seven places!

The funky "One Nation Under a Groove" by Funkadelic splashes over the speakers and the crowd goes wild as the tag team of Tony Atlas and the Junkyard Dog come down the ramp! They slap the hands of the fans as they reach the ring and climb in, coming up to opposite corners and playing heavily to the crowd.

"Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash hits and the cheers instantly turn to boos as the Funk Brothers come out, led by Bruce Pritchard. Pritchard yells at Atlas and Junkyard fiercely as his team comes down. Terry and Dory stand at the bottom of the ramp, glaring up at Atlas and Junkyard; the two in the ring return the look. Finally, the Funks lift their tag titles high, taunting Atlas and Junkyard, before handing them both off to Pritchard and climbing up onto the apron. Cautiously, Terry enters the ring and he's immediately grabbed by Atlas and whipped into the ropes, caught as he comes back with huge lariat.

Atlas pulls Funk up and pushes him back into the corner, beating him terrifically with forearm smashes. He lifts Funk up bodily and tosses him straight down to the canvas, collapsing down for a cover that's broken up by Dory. Atlas shoots to his feet and scares Dory off, but Terry comes up from behind and scores a roll-up that only goes to a two. Terry backs to his corner and tags his brother in. Tony Atlas beckons them, shaking his head to indicate that they're not going to get by easy.

Garrick

This might be a miscalculation on the part of Mr. USA, Reg. The Funks are an experienced tag team and… he clobbers both of them with a big double clothesline!

Baxter

Just made you eat your words, huh?

Garrick

Atlas has Terry up… looking for a suplex…

Baxter

Dory with a chop block! They pull him up here and now Terry's got to get out of that ring.

Garrick

Dory whips Atlas back into his corner and… dammit, stop trying to get the Junkyard Dog riled up!

Baxter

The Junkyard Dog's trying to get in there to mix it up and the referee's doing all he can to stop him… oh no!

Garrick

Terry's choking Tony Atlas on the top rope! This is dastardly, Reg! The ref finally catches on and Terry's acting like nothing happened!

Dory takes over, smashing his forearm repeatedly into Atlas's jaw. He whips him into the ropes and catches him with a drop toe hold, which upon rising becomes a spinning toe hold. Atlas manages to reach the ropes, hanging on with all he's got, but Dory pulls him back and hits an elbow drop straight on the spine. He pulls Atlas to his feet and chops him across the chest, but he receives a big elbow to the face for his troubles!

Garrick

This could be it! Atlas's big break… Junkyard is hungry for the tag!

Baxter

Terry's yelling at the ref and getting his attention and there's the tag! The Junkyard Dog is a rocket!

Garrick

Oh don't tell me… the ref is sending him back! He didn't see the tag! But somehow he sees Terry Funk tagging himself in… this is just wrong!

Baxter

He's nailing the weary Atlas with those axehandle smashes to the back. He pulls him up to his feet now and Dory's into the ropes and he comes off with a dropkick straight into a back suplex from Terry!

Garrick

One! Two! OHHH! Barely kicked out!

Frustrated, Terry tags Dory back in and the twosome hit Atlas with a double suplex. Dory then tags Terry back into the ring and Terry climbs up to the top rope. Dory nails Atlas with a backbreaker and Terry comes flying off, creaming Atlas in the face with a fist drop! He then pulls Tony Atlas to his feet and hits an atomic drop, using that to segue straight into a rear chinlock.

Baxter

This is real bad for Mr. USA here, Sam.

Garrick

It definitely is, Reg… but Atlas is fighting it! He's slowly getting to his feet here… Terry's trying to bring him back down!

Baxter

Atlas is on his feet! He breaks the hold and hits Terry Funk with a huge lariat!

Garrick

Now he's just got to get the tag… and he does! The Junkyard Dog has been tagged in and listen to those fans!

Baxter

Dory in the ring to meet him here but Junkyard grabs him and tosses him out!

Garrick

Terry Funk trying to put the brakes on the Junkyard Dog here, but he turns around and lifts him up—THE THUMP!

Baxter

He hooks the leg! One! Two! Three! This crowd is going nuts!

Garrick

Dory's conversing with Pritchard here and now he's getting back into the ring… DON'T!

Baxter

He just smacked the Junkyard Dog with the WCCW title belt!

Garrick

Pritchard's got Terry out of there and now the Tag Team champions retreat like cowards!

Baxter

You can be sure this isn't over, folks. They got the win tonight, but Atlas and Junkyard want those titles!

TULLY BLANCHARD versus MR. PERFECT

AWA America's Championship!

The keyboard-assisted opening of "Rainbow in the Dark" by Dio hits and the crowd showers boos down on Mr. Perfect. Mr. Perfect taunts the audience as he makes his way down the ramp. He gets up on the apron and then looks out at them, giving them a curious gaze. He then spits his gum up into the air and slaps it out into the crowd before stepping into the ring.

The booming bass of "Even Flow" by Pearl Jam hits and now the fans are going wild for Tully Blanchard as he steps out. He takes one look at Mr. Perfect and practically flings away his title, rushing down the ramp into the ring. Mr. Perfect backs up as Tully jumps to his feet, lunging forward and throwing fists wildly.

Mr. Perfect dances about the ring to escape Blanchard before putting him down on his face with a drop toe hold. He goes for a seated crossface, but Blanchard manages to get away. Perfect turns and rises, getting caught by a big European uppercut that sends him stumbling backwards into the corner. Tully follows him and kicks him repeatedly in the stomach, softening him up.

Garrick

Blanchard hooks Perf' up here and I think we're looking at the slingshot suplex!

Baxter

He's up… but he manages to hold onto the top rope! Mr. Perfect rams Tully Blanchard's head into the turnbuckle!

Garrick

Mr. Perfect gets back into that ring and he hits a big bulldog on Tully! Turns him over… One! Two! Kickout from the champ!

Baxter

Mr. Perfect isn't taking too kindly to that, though, stomping the hell out of Blanchard!

Perf' pulls Tully to his feet and pushes him into the corner, scaling up the ropes and giving him the classic ten-punch! He getures nastily at the crowd before jumping down, but just as his feet hit the mat, Tully clobbers him with a lariat! He picks Perfect up and goes for a back suplex, but Mr. Perfect escapes it and takes Tully down with a side Russian legsweep. He goes for the pin, but just manages a near-fall.

Baxter

Mr. Perfect's getting Tully to his feet and there's the knee to the gut.

Garrick

He's hooking Tully up for it… this is the end of the match right here!

Baxter

PERFECT-PL… no!

Garrick

Tully's foot caught on the bottom rope! Perf' can't lift him!

Baxter

Perfect goes to move him and a European uppercut from the champion! Mr. Perfect is dazed and he falls to his knees!

Garrick

Tully lifts his arms into the air… BOOM! Huge double axehandle smash and Mr. Perfect is crumpled on the canvas!

Tully picks Mr. Perfect up and scoop slams him back to the mat. He hits the ropes and comes back, looking for a leg drop, but Mr. Perfect moves out of the way! Mr. Perfect locks in a rear chinlock, trying desperately to squeeze the life out of Tully. The fans begin to chant Tully's name and slowly he fights out of the hold until he rises to his feet and pulls Perfect up on his back before slamming backwards into the turnbuckles!

Baxter

Mr. Perfect's spine has to be dislocated in seven places!

Garrick

Tully is chopping the hell out of Perf's chest in that corner, making sure that Mr. Perfect pays for his transgressions.

Baxter

BIG right hand from Blanchard! Now he's signaling the crowd!

Garrick

He hooks him up and delivers the SLINGSHOT SUPLEX!

Baxter

He pulls himself over Mr. Perfect… and he's got it! Tully Blanchard retains his belt!

Garrick

He rolls out of the ring and he has the AWA title handed to him and the crowd is just loving him tonight.

Baxter

And look at Mr. Perfect pounding the mat and hitting the ropes, Sam! He's livid that he just lost to Tully here!

The familiar strains of Blue Oyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" play over the speakers and the crowd goes into a frenzy as their hero Kevin von Erich steps out onto the stage. The barefoot warrior jogs down to the ring and rolls under the bottom rope, stepping up and posing for the crowd. He walks around a bit, shaking himself loose before his big match.

The big riff of "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin hits and the CW World Heavyweight champion Rick Rude steps out onto the stage to the biggest booing reaction that the crowds can muster. Rude simply smirks, turning around and gesturing to them. He slowly makes his way down the ring. He climbs in and hands off the title, dusting off his abs before moving towards his opponent.

They lock-up and remain in this position for a bit, neither man able to get an advantage. They break and Rude quickly scores a thumb to the eye. The ref admonishes him, but Rude shoves the referee aside and clubs Kevin over the back. Rude begins to toss Kevin about, slapping him and shoving him with his foot, all to a discontented response from the crowd.

Baxter

Rick Rude is making a mockery of this great sport!

Garrick

More accurately, Reg, he's making a mockery of Kevin von Erich! Oh! He just piefaced the challenger!

Baxter

Kevin von Erich is steaming right now, Sam! Rude scoops him up for a standing fireman's carry—

Garrick

And Kevin slips out the back! He lifts Rude's leg and there's a big back suplex from Kevin von Erich! Rude rolls out of this ring and the crowd is on their feet!

Baxter

Gotta be the biggest response for a suplex I've ever seen!

Kevin yells at Rude, demanding that he get back into the ring. Rude takes the bit to recuperate before getting back on the apron. He looks to see if Kevin is going to attack him immedately. When Kevin backs up, he slips into the ring, but as soon as he straightens, Kevin hits him with a dropkick that sends him back onto the apron! Rude shakes his head, getting to his feet, and Kevin hooks him up to take him back in with a vertical suplex! Kevin pulls Rude to his feet and chops him viciously across the chest, moving him across the ring. He then scores a big high kick that puts Rude back into the corner.

Garrick

Kevin gonna follow him in here… back elbow for his troubles!

Baxter

Rude hiptosses Kevin here and he's just stomping the daylights out of the challenger for his title!

Garrick

To make it clear for fans, this is not a respect match; this is a knock-down, drag-out grudge match! The kind of match you have at family reunions!

Baxter

I imagine Rude family reunions are always something like this… big knee lift from the champion there! I don't like Kevin's chances!

Garrick

Rude sends Kevin into the ropes. Kevin's coming back and a dropkick high on the jaw to the champion!

Baxter

Once again, Rick Rude has tumbled out of the ring!

Kevin is on all fours as the crowd cheers him on. He gets to his feet slowly, throwing his head back and drinking in the air. Rick Rude slowly drags himself back into the ring, getting to his feet shakily. Kevin and Rick engage in a chop battle that Rick starts to emerge the victor of. Kevin is beaten back across the ring, much to the crowd's dismay. Rick summons the strength to pull Kevin up for a scoop slam, but Kevin comes out behind Rude. Rick turns around and Kevin kicks him hard in the stomach.

Garrick

Kevin's got him… piledriver!

Baxter

Even I felt that one! Rick Rude's not gonna be waking up normally tomorrow!

Garrick

He's turning Rude over and he's got him sitting up! It's time to end this match!

Baxter

New World champion!

"Rainbow in the Dark."

Garrick

Everyone's looknig at the entranceway… and there he is!

Baxter

Mr. Perfect coming down the ramp! Kevin's trying to shoo him off, but he's still coming!

Garrick

Perf' is up… HOLY MOSES! He yanked Kevin's neck straight down on the top rope!

Baxter

Kevin stumbles back right into the RUDE AWAKENING!

Garrick

No! No, dammit! This isn't right!

Baxter

Rude covers him! One! Two! Three! Mr. Perfect coming in the ring to celebrate the defense and I… I don't believe this!

Garrick

And neither does this crowd!

"Even Flow."

Baxter

And neither does Tully Blanchard! He's coming down like a man possessed!

Garrick

Blanchard hits the ring! Right hand to Perf'! Right hand to Rude! Perfect's back up and Blanchard sends the bastard right back down to the canvas!

Baxter

It's the Funks! They're coming to save their leader!

Garrick

Terry up on the apron and Blanchard knocks him down with a big right hand! And the same to Dory! Hot damn, Blanchard's cleaning house!

Baxter

Rude escapes the ring and Perf' is left inside the ring!

Garrick

Kevin is back up and he's got vengeance on his mind! He looks down at Perfect…

Baxter

Nowhere to go! THE CLAW! Kevin slaps the Claw on Mr. Perfect! Mr. Perfect is screaming out and Rude's Gang can't do a thing to help him, not with Tully Blanchard standing over like a guard dog!

Garrick

I think that's it! I think we've gotta go! That's all for Jet Generation, folks! Join us on Tuesday for Hustle! For Reggie Baxter, I'm Sam Garrick saying have a safe night!

POST-CARD RECAP

The Thrillseekers d. the Roughnecks (R: 62%, Q: 86%)

Robert Fuller d. Antonio Inoki & Nick Bockwinkel (R: 69%, Q: 74%)

Tiger Mask d. the Great Muta (R: 88%, Q: 100%)

Starship Coyote d. Marty Jannetty (R: 77%, Q: 81%)

Tony Atlas & the Junkyard Dog d. the Funk Brothers (R: 74%, Q: 75%)

Tully Blanchard d. Mr. Perfect (R: 76%, Q: 65%)

Rick Rude d. Kevin von Erich (R: 88%, Q: 82%)

Overall Rating: 74%

PPV Buyrate: 0.48

PPV Revenue: $1200000

Attendance: 6171 people

Tickets: $246840

• 2 weeks later...

"Good job with Jet Generation," Cowboy Bill Watts said in a contented manner, leaning back in his chair.

"Thanks, Cowboy."

"Thanks for not making Kevin seem to much of a simp with the revenge angle and all. The fans need a real rock of a face, you know, and Kevin's it."

"Yeah," I said, nodding, "But I'm still trying to build up other guys."

"Like Blanchard?"

"Like Jannetty," I corrected. "He could have a real future in this business."

"Sure," Watts said, waving his hand dismissively. "I believe that." Watts leaned forward, resting his forearms on his desk and looking at me intently. "What I really want to know, though, Garrick, is how long you're gonna keep jobbing my boy?"

I sighed, rubbing my forehead irritably. "Now, Cowboy—"

"Garrick, I'm serious. I don't want Dunlay being known for racking up losses in this damn league."

"Bill, he's not becoming known for that. For Chrissakes, he hit that damn spinning piledriver of his, didn't he?"

He eyed me sternly. "Yeah, Garrick, but he lost the match."

"But Cowboy," I pleaded, trying to bring him to reason, "it's building him up, getting him over. Underdogs are always over with the crowd." Watts wasn't in the mood for logic today, however.

"I don't care how you do it," Watts growled. "Just make sure this losing thing that Dunlay is doing stops and soon. You hear me, Garrick?"

I sighed. There was no use fighting this anymore.

"I said, do you hear me?"

EWB_CW_Hustle.gif

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 28th 1992

TERRA RYZING versus LT. JAMES EARL

New prospect Terra Ryzing opens against seasoned veteran Lt. James. Earl.

STARSHIP COYOTE versus CHRIS YOUNGBLOOD

Starship Coyote won the CWF Television championship from Marty Jannetty in a bloody battle that went from outside the arena to the entrance ramp. Now he makes his first defense against the tormented Chris Youngblood. Will Starship Coyote proves he deserves the belt?

THE MAIN EVENT

RICK RUDE & THE FUNK BROTHERS versus KEVIN VON ERICH & TULLY BLANCHARD

After the heinous Jet Generation encounter where Kevin von Erich was practically robbed of the title due to the interference with Rude's Gang, Kevin vowed revenge. Tully Blanchard, too, has had his share of problem with the stable. They're in a unique position to try and fell Rude's Gang sans Mr. Perfect, but they're still overwhelmed in the numbers game. Can they overcome this and exact a fitting revenge?

Very cool diary, Obinna. The backstory is incredible and you've captured the feel of the era all too well.

Just curious though, if Herd was fired and Watts is doing this, who's running WCW? I realize it ultimately doesn't matter, but you've done such a thorough job describing the industry's altered landscape, it made me wonder how things would've gone down had the Watts era of WCW (a personal favorite) never taken place.

Best of luck in the future.

EWB_CW_Hustle.gif

When the Hustle! entrance video finishes, the cameras go to the arena and after a bit of panning around, to the announce desk. Sam Garrick and Reg Baxter briefly rehash the evnets of Jet Generation, complaining about the cheating victory of Rick Rude but praising Tully Blanchard for retaining his AWA America's title against Mr. Perfect. They then give a brief blurb about Terra Ryzing, mentioning his match is coming up right now.

TERRA RYZING versus LT. JAMES EARL

James Earl began in the ring. A driving entrance song played as Terra Ryzing's theme and Terra came out, rolling into the ring and instantly going to town. Earl got in scant offense as Terra whipped him around the ring and clobbered him with jumping elbows and lariats.

Garrick

Ryzing throws him into the corner and look at that despicable boot choke!

Baxter

The ref is pulling Ryzing away… but he grabs Earl and drives him into the mat with a big DDT!

Garrick

That should be it, but Ryzing refuses to put him away! He's pulling Earl to his feet…

Baxter

EARTH CRISIS! That huge spinebuster just crushed Earl into the mat!

Garrick

There it is… Ryzing wins! A dominating victory for Terra Ryzing here and he's on the turnbuckles, playing to the crowd!

Baxter

They're not particularly fond of him, but you can't deny that he just made an impact here in Colossal Wrestling!

Garrick: We're taking you backstage now with an up-and-coming tag team in CW, the Thrillseekers!

The scene goes back where Chris Jericho and Lance Storm are standing, wearing matching THRILLSEEKERS vests.

Jericho: You know something, Lance?

Storm: Yeah?

Jericho: We electrified that stadium at Jet Generation! We were the stars of that damn show, we put on a spectacle! And you know what I got in the mail today?

Storm: Don't make me guess, man!

Jericho: I got a piece of fan mail that was all whiny, telling me that the way I won that match was scandalous, waaa waaa waaa. Scandalous? I bet there are things more scandalous in the pair of panties you're wearing than in the way we fought the Roughnecks!

Storm: Whatever they got, they had coming to 'em. So stop being little… babies!

Jericho: I can't believe some of these people.

Storm: I know. They should get out more often.

Jericho: Life isn't fair, kids! And see, Watts and Sharpe, if you knew that then you wouldn't have flown off the handle. When you attack me and my partner Lance Storm here, you're asking for trouble.

Storm: What you're basically doing is giving us license to hurt you.

Jericho: And I know we look good! I know we are the best tag team in this promotion.

Storm: But when we want to hurt you, punks, we're gonna hurt you.

Jericho: So take note! Write this down, you fat, stupid, imbeciles! We pull no punches! We take no prisoners! If you wanna dance, Charlie, let's dance!

Storm: Just name the time and the place and you can be sure the Thrillseekers will be there.

Jericho: Alriiiiight, ba-bay!

Jericho flexes as the camera cuts away.

STARSHIP COYOTE versus CHRIS YOUNGBLOOD

Chris Youngblood entered the ring first. Starship Coyote then came down to a mass of boos. After the bell rang, Youngblood sprang forward with a lariat, but Starship ducked it and hit the ropes, holding on and then climbing out of the ring.

Baxter

What's Starship Coyote doing?

Garrick

He's grabbing his belt, Reg… he's leaving!

Baxter

Chris Youngblood is shouting at Starship, but Starship Coyote isn't turning around!

Garrick

The ref counts ten and this is over! Chris Youngblood wins, but he doesn't get the title!

Baxter

He's livid, folks… but from behind!

Garrick

This is heinous! Mark Youngblood has once again attacked his brother from behind, knocking him straight to the mat!

Baxter

Mark's waiting for Chris to get up… he pulls him into the air! Piledriver!

Garrick

Chris Youngblood is laid out on the canvas and Mark is hightailing it out of the ring! Officials are tending to Chris and Mark has just committed another vile act on his brother!

Starship Coyote is walking backstage when Greg Gagne stops him.

Gagne: Starship! Starship! Can I get a few words?

Coyote: Alright, little man. Shoot.

Gagne: Why did you just walk out of that title match?

Coyote: Huh. That's all?

Gagne: I… guess.

Coyote: It's simple. See, I won this belt, but I'm not about to be restricted by some silly rules. It's my property now and I decide what to do with it.

Gagne: So?

Coyote: Hold on a second, will you? So like I was saying, I walked out to the ring and I looked at this kid Youngblood and I said to myself "He doesn't deserve this shot. Hell, nobody does!" I just didn't feel like defending the belt.

Gagne: So you just decided to skip this week?

Coyote: This week? You have something stuck in your ears, man?

Gagne: What are you trying to say?

Coyote: This belt, this Television title, is gonna be defended on my terms. Starship Rules. And Starship says this belt won't be defended every week. It'll be defended when I say so, when I give the signal, when I'm ready to defend it.

Gagne: But that's ridiculous! It's totally against the—

Coyote: And plus, Jannetty, I hope you're listening. You lost that title match because you're a punk. This title you spent so long giving a… legacy? It's mine now. And if you had any thoughts about getting another shot, you can forget it because there is no way in hell I'd ever grant you a shot at this belt. Now get out of my way, Greggy-boy, I'd like to go back to my locker rooms.

Garrick: Starship Coyote… ugh! At every turn, the man sickens me!

Baxter: Well, we have something going on in the ring now!

Robert Fuller has just entered the ring and he has a microphone in hand.

Garrick: What could Robert Fuller possibly have to say?

Baxter: Hush up, Sam!

Fuller: Ha ha ha! Did you see that match at Jet Generation? I proved, in front of all you folks, that Antonio Inoki is a horse's ass! Live on pay-per-view, I proved it!

The crowd boos Fuller loudly.

Fuller: He said I didn't have passion, I didn't have drive, well I showed him! I pinned him right in the middle of that ring, one, two, three. Can anybody dispute that? Anybody?

A "Fuller Sucks!" chant starts up in the crowd. Robert Fuller shakes his head.

Fuller: I expected better out of you. Where's my hero's welcome, dammit! How can you say I don't have passion for this when I just defeated that Japanese icon? But nevermind that, see, Inoki's all talk and—

The crowd pops as a familiar piece of music hits the wair.

Baxter: Fuller's about to get what's coming to him!

Garrick: Antonio Inoki is making his way down to this ring and Fuller's hightailing it out!

Baxter: Fuller escaping through the unsympathetic crowd here and Inoki's demanding he come back to this ring!

Garrick: Inoki doesn't look like he's playing games here tonight, Reg!

Baxter: We're about to go backstage here for another interview, folks.

The camera goes back to a lockerroom. Rick Rude is sitting down, lacing up his boots. His CW World Heavyweight title sits on the bench beside him. He glances up at the camera.

Rude: What the hell do you want? Look, I know I'm the Ravishing One, but I could use a little privacy sometimes. But now that you're here, let me give you something to chew on.

Rude pauses a bit, lifting the title belt and sliding it over his shoulder.

Rude: What people don't understand is that Rude's Gang just keeps the status quo. We're not good guys or bad guys, we just keep people in their place. That's all. You see, my place is on top of this here promotion, and so we continue to work to that end. Kevin von Erich's place is underneath me. So don't get mad at me when we take steps to make sure that Kevin von Erich never, eeeever, holds this belt in his hands.

Rude sniffs a bit.

Rude: So Kevin, what do you want to accomplish by this? You're going on this crusade of vengeance and for what? To topple me? You'll never do it. You're just too… dumb. Too dumb to ever get yourself into a position to win this belt away from me.

Rude smirks.

Rude: So please, get Tully Blanchard on your side. Name yourselves firebrands, the saviors of wrestling. There's only one savior in this federation and his name is "Ravishing" Rick Rude, you got it? There's only one champion, jack, and that's me. You're absolutely nothing, Kevin von Erich, and no matter how hard you try, you're gonna fail. So just… stop trying, okay?

Rude gets up, shoving the camera away and slamming the door in its face.

Baxter: Rick Rude has never been afraid to give his enemies a piece of his mind.

Garrick: No he hasn't, Reg… hold on! I'm getting word that something's happening in the halls!

Baxter: Let's find out what it is!

The camera goes to the Great Muta and Tiger Mask brawling in the back.

Garrick: The Great Muta is attacking Tiger Mask! Tiger Mask is holding his own back there, going punch for punch with the mysterious Muta!

Baxter: Oooh, and Muta ended that with a big jumping enzuigiri! Are we gonna see some poison mist?

Garrick: Muta's got Tiger Mask's arms… TIGER SUPLEX!

Baxter: The Great Muta just stole Tiger Mask's finisher!

Garrick: And look at him scamper away! He's leaving Tiger Mask there for whatever fate!

Baxter: I can't believe a guy like the Great Muta! How can he do soemthing like that?

RICK RUDE & THE FUNK BROTHERS versus KEVIN VON ERICH & TULLY BLANCHARD

Tully and Dory Funk start out in the ring, Tully dominating the early action. Dory tags in Terry and he locks up with Blanchard for a bit before Rick Rude gets the blind tag in and helps Terry double-team Tully Blanchard into a big double back suplex. Rude takes it from here, isolating, Tully in his corner. Terry and Dory cheat adeptly, with Rude distracting the ref so that they can choke and beat Tully Blanchard. Kevin von Erich watches helpless, trying to help but unable to. Rick tags Terry back in and Terry works Tully over with a solid offense, tagging in Dory periodically to keep Tully off balance. Dory finally tags Rick Rude back into the ring and Rude suplexes Tully hard.

Baxter

Kevin von Erich needs to get in this ring, Sam!

Garrick

That's true, Reg, 'cause if he doesn't… who's that!?

Baxter

It's Tony Atlas and the Junkyard Dog! They're running down here at top speed!

Garrick

They pull the Funks off the apron and start brawling on the outside!

Baxter

Rick Rude is visibly concerned about his boys, trying to make Atlas and the Dog go away!

Garrick

Blanchard makes the tag! Blanchard makes the tag!

Baxter

Von Erich is in the ring like a rocket! He pulls Rude around… right hand! Right hand! Right hand!

Garrick

Shoots him into the ropes… back body drop!

Baxter

He gets him back to his feet and PILEDRIVER! Kevin von Erich makes the cover!

Garrick

One! Two! Three! That's it! Kevin von Erich and Tully Blanchard have won!

Baxter

Rick Rude down in the ring! The Funks down on the outside! This is tremendous, Sam!

Garrick

And on that note, that's all the time we have! I'm Sam Garrick for Reg Baxter saying stay safe and see you next week for Hustle!

POST-CARD RECAP

Terra Ryzing d. Lt. James Earl (R: 33%, Q: 65%)

Chris Youngblood d. Starship Coyote (R: 63%, Q: 74%)

Kevin von Erich & Tully Blanchard d. Rick Rude & the Funk Brothers (R: 74%, Q: 73%)

Overall Rating: 70%

Nielsens: 3.63

Attendance: 1255

Tickets: $37650

OOC: It's been a while since I've updated, mostly due to personal issues. Updating will probably be severely reduced from earlier, but I'll try to still keep up with it.

Very cool diary, Obinna. The backstory is incredible and you've captured the feel of the era all too well.

Just curious though, if Herd was fired and Watts is doing this, who's running WCW? I realize it ultimately doesn't matter, but you've done such a thorough job describing the industry's altered landscape, it made me wonder how things would've gone down had the Watts era of WCW (a personal favorite) never taken place.

Best of luck in the future.