The Mafia Discussion Thread

I think it's definitely easier to play as scum than town. SK is fun, as you don't expact to win and it only gets a bit hairy if you make the final five or so. One of my favourite games was when I was SK in Arrested Development and somehow contrived to win it :P

Okay guys, here's another one - what game would you like a 're-do' of? Either a game that didn't quite live up to expectation that could still be awesome - or maybe a game that didn't finish. I loved reading through the RoH/CZW Mafia game, but I don't think it ever finished which seems a pity.

This is where I mention Chris Hero! Loved that game.

TGC definitely deserves a (Y), even if he's just copying my play in Christmas Mafia >_>

As far as my personal assessment of myself as a mafia player, I'm pretty damn good as scum (and I should be, I get enough practice), mostly because I rarely make mistakes (in terms of outing myself, Dodgeball being an exception that will be explained at the end), and when I do, I'm just convincing enough in my patter to throw doubts on it. I'm far better in traditional games, to the point that I feel that if I'm scum in a true trad game, my team is winning. I also don't feel I have a true scum tell, which brings me to my town play, because I have a townie tell! As town I'm far more likely to offer up information unasked, to the point of role/ability claiming immediately at times. I think I'm a middling townie, I'm unlikely to actively hurt the town, but I'm just as unlikely to take my scum skills and apply them to the flip side. I'm willing to sacrifice myself for the good of the town, and I usually use any ability I have in helpful ways. There are a few players I feel I have good reads on, which also helps.

I've also worked on being less likely to get into dickwaving contests, which I good.

NXT.

Maybe one where fucking AJ isn't whatever she was and Naomi's just a seeing-eye double-voter.

Also I don't die night one and get to do more rapping and more heyyyyying.

I might make up for that in Star Trek though.

Oh, and my "here's why I'm a great mafia player" thing is: when I place a higher value on winning than I do on amusing myself, it's rare that I lose. Unfortunately, those times are fewer and farther between. I think the last one was... 2008? FF Tactics?

Might've been tied to something else that happened, but I'm 99% sure that Ramza had the double vote, and he died pretty early. It was down to you, Momo (the last scum), and whoever had the Alma role. I really hate that that one's gone because my temptation is to run a second one now just so there's an extant Final Fantasy Tactics Mafia around.

Also, prickwaving is banned from my next game. If you can wave it, I can cut it off.

Not that it needs saying since it's pretty much common knowledge, but my performances as either town or scum are mixed at best, crushingly bad at worst.

I believe I'm one of the few people on this board to have ever gone out of my way with no suss on me to get myself lynched as a bomb, and guessed right, taking out scum in doing so.

I liked Sons of Anarchy...

For some reason as town I have a bizarre ability to call out scum by name, make vague reads on them, and then when lightly reassured forget about it completely.

As scum I follow ordes and help where I can. As Don I do everything in my power to listen to my crew and try to let them distance themselves from me for when i have my inevitible melt down.

I can't talk my way out of ANYTHING, and any win I get I kinda consider to have been luck, especially as scum. The only games I've really shined in were Futurama, Obscure 1, Dexter, and Cartoon Axis of Evil (still my favorite game ever even if I was modkilled, I mean Invader Zim claim AND nailing Bleh as scum with absolutely no provocation? Good times.)

LCS and RW have been my top two for a few years. pizza has been really, really strong recently. Josh has been quiet for ages but he was always good. Then there's loads of other guys. Those would be my Top 4, but positions 3 and 4 change a fair bit.

I've not been playing here for long which is why I have avoided the HOF thing. But DFF always seems to strike me as a bit underrated in the games I have played with him.

I remember the days of Josh playing mafia. Never played with him here, but I have played enough games with him to know how good he can be.

And Pizza is probably one of the most challenging guys to read I have ever played with.

I love these two. :wub:

All these people that are better at being scum suck.

I've never really been able to get the hang of being scum, I struggle to not change my game style.

You STILL struggle to that degree? (Bill and I go way back.)

That said, I'm almost always better off as town. When I'm scum, I may do well for a while but eventually everyone's going to get a little suspicion. When it does come my way, I never know how to respond. That's actually part of what keep me from playing anymore (the other parts being too much time gets invested and dick-waving happens.) When I have a long lay-off from playing, I think, "Gee mafia would be fun agai- aw fuck, I got a scum role. I forgot that was a possibility. Well, no more for me."

Okay guys, here's another one - what game would you like a 're-do' of?

A thousand times Homestar Runner Mafia. :shifty:

This thousand times times another thousand. So, at least a million times. At a minimum.

NXT.

But also this.

FF Tactics?

I wish that game wasn't lost to the Great Board Collapse of 2008 because that was a great game with solid town performances basically from top to bottom.

That killed my MST3K game. :(

Maybe I should re-approach that . . . . Assuming I ever finish the list of top episodes, that is.

Also, on a further tangent: I'm still pissed that my computer crashed and erased all my work on Let's All Be There Mafia. It was potentially my magnum opus, greater than any Drinking Game or You Pick.

Okay guys, here's another one - what game would you like a 're-do' of?

A thousand times Homestar Runner Mafia. :shifty:

Cant redo a game that was never done before. :shifty:

Ohhhh, that's right.

So, yeah, someone should do H*R Mafia, especially since it's never been done.

• Admin

You want dick-waving? I led an outed team of me & DJ Ice to victory over some of the best players on the board :shifty:

Seriously though, I think I'm actually a better town player than scum (I know I prefer playing as town at least), I just never get to show it as often because of the tendency to be killed early, so more of my standout performances are invariably as scum.

I don't think I've ever been lynched as scum without the aid of an investigation, but I wouldn't class myself as a good scum player. I'm too passive. I basically play as I do when I'm a townie, which isn't the best strategy since you need to be working to push suspicion onto people all the time.

I much prefer playing as a townie because the fun of the game is figuring out who the scum are for me.

You want dick-waving? I led an outed team of me & DJ Ice to victory over some of the best players on the board :shifty:

DJ Ice's performance in that game is the standard bearer for being scum. He was amazing and should be studied by all new players so they can learn the intricacies of the game :P

• Like 1